Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

How would you like to be approached?

Dirty Fingers

Withdrawn
Withdrawn
There's been a number of related threads on here of late about request threads, how much OOC is enough/too much, how to attract people to your RT etc.

I thought it might be interesting to ask how you would prefer to be approached or how you might approach others when responding to a Request Thread. You can be as detailed as you like or write it as I am about to in a template format.

Here's how I would like to be approached more or less..

Hey there,

Just saw your RT and liked your ideas. I too enjoy exploring the things you do and prefer story over smut. (Proves they actually paid some attention to my RT and they are letting me know why they liked it).

I'd love to discuss "X" idea and here is my take on it.... (shows me they have ideas, they get the idea the same way I do and it gives me something to work with).

Here is a link to my RT if you want to know more about me and if you would like to chat drop me a line...

Overall pretty simple I think. Much better than "I like your idea, do you want to play" or "I want to RP with you" and then I have to try and drag information out of them.

So how you would like to be approached?

I never scrutinize OOC stuff, I really only ever get peeved when someone sends me what is practically their own request thread as a PM opener

I think you got it pretty square on the head of the nail there Dirty Fingers. Anything that actually shows that they have engaged in what I have written will make me more likely to engage with them.

Even just coming in saying hey, liked your RT, think we might be compatible but nothing jumps out and bites me right now, I'll be keeping an eye out for it will suffice. That will probably make enough of an impression that I'll remember you for when you next come by and might even make me check out your own RT to see if you got ideas I might like.

And if anything it will make me smile.

I don't really care how someone asks about a role play so long as they are ready to answer questions. The more you come to me with, the less questions I have to ask but it's not an issue if I do have to question folks.

With clean fingers, for one thing X.X

There's a limit. If someone sends me a gigantic wall of text and I get the skeevs from it, I can be put off from the entire experience. However, no one likes the one line that leaves you unsure if they even read your thread or not.

Politeness is the key for me. If someone’s rude, it doesn’t matter how interested they are to play with you or how skilled they might be. Gladly, everyone on site is polite. Some are only kinder. Being friendly is important too. I’d also like to see what made them interested in my thread, and how much of my kinks match theirs. I personally don’t reply to messages that have only one line in it, or those that are clearly written without reading my thread. I understand some don’t want to put much effort and thought into a PM when they are not sure that would lead to an RP. But I am too spending time writing what I want to play. (I almost always add a new plot whenever I bump.)

My approach depends on the RT I guess. But generically, I add a greeting, tell them what I found interesting in their thread, what might be fun to add to the plot, list the related kinks I have, explain my limits, what aspects of their request I might not be able to satisfy. Finally end it by telling them to get back to me if they are interested. If they’re not, or just busy, I don’t expect a reply. If the RP is dropped or ends for whatever reason, and if I get into contact with my partner afterwards, I try to thank them for their time regardless of why or how it ended. Sadly, you’d be surprised how few people thank me back. I guess it’s no obligation though =)

Hmm, what else? Oh, and if there’s a statement in the rt that says something like “write xxx to prove you read my thread” I don’t do that. Sorry, but I really don’t like that.

Either come at me with an idea that you want to run, or show interest in one of my ideas and wish to pursue. Like.... sigh. Last time I had anyone interested in my ideas they started then stopped, so IDK what to make of it anymore.

Hi, my name is [blank]. I saw your request thread, and I was interested in [blank]. I would be interested in playing [blank], and I prefer my partners to play [blank]. Here are some elements I would like to see incorporated, I would love your opinion on them. I can reply at this rate and write this much. I have some faceclaims that match the preferences stated in your request thread, and I have listed them here in a spoiler or link for you to choose from. If any of this is not to your liking, I am willing to compromise or call off the roleplay.
Thank you!

There's been a number of related threads on here of late about request threads, how much OOC is enough/too much, how to attract people to your RT etc.

I thought it might be interesting to ask how you would prefer to be approached or how you might approach others when responding to a Request Thread. You can be as detailed as you like or write it as I am about to in a template format.

Hey there,

Just saw your RT and liked your ideas. I too enjoy exploring the things you do and prefer story over smut. (Proves they actually paid some attention to my RT and they are letting me know why they liked it).

I'd love to discuss "X" idea and here is my take on it.... (shows me they have ideas, they get the idea the same way I do and it gives me something to work with).

Here is a link to my RT if you want to know more about me and if you would like to chat drop me a line...

Overall pretty simple I think. Much better than "I like your idea, do you want to play" or "I want to RP with you" and then I have to try and drag information out of them.

This sums it up right here.

General manners are a good one but bringing some of your own ideas works good as well

Personally speaking I like to see a persons likes.and dislikes right off the back, that way ill know if we're compatible or not

I very much agree with OP. Some effort, signs that my RT has been read, that the potential partner and I are on similar pages when it comes to what we want and how we write, etc. A first PM needn't be paragraphs, but it should create a middle ground to start plotting on and eventually build a story off. Telling me which idea caught your eye or if you'd like to create from scratch, telling me your style, what you're after, what you do and don't like, are all good starting blocks. I don't mind asking/being asked questions (I ask a fair amount in the beginning), but it shouldn't take 10 PMs of interrogation to get anywhere, either. You tell me, I tell you, we're all goodie. :giggle:

I am actually pretty happy if the other person talks about themselves a fair bit. They poked me, so they are clearly interested in what I am offering. If and when they tell me about themselves, I can figure out if I am interested in what they have to offer.

Nicely. Polite. Show me you've read my list and tell me what interests you. "it's long lol" is a surefire way not to RP

Hey there,

Like that would be cool. Or at the very least to not have the person insert ideas and elements into my RP that just aren't relevant. For eg mentioning Shapeshifters when my plot is real world based and I haven't mentioned anything supernatural at all.

I want to know that the person has ideas and I won't be carrying the whole thing and if they are capable of expressing themselves in writing.

My RT is long and thorough. Most players that contact me do a good job. They mention what they liked in my RT. They mention what plot(s) and kinks they're interested in. Some suggest my listed plots that they like, and others write a few sentences about one of their plots, and that they think it is compatible with the kinks and themes I list. I accept more than half of the people that contact me. The ones I decline, it's because they clearly stated something I'm not interested in or I quickly spotted an incompatibility. Still, those are good contacts because they gave enough information for me to know if I'm into playing with them quickly right off the bat.

So, just follow the trend in advice given in most threads that asked this question.
Introduction > Reference that you read someone's RT > Declare which of their plots or characters you're interested in or a couple sentences about your own plot > Touch briefly on kinks to show there is an overlap of interests

Last edited:
Directly and to the point. Address me however you like, just don't be long-winded or ambiguous about it. That's my philosophy. Time is precious.

Like I'm a person. I can count how many times people have sent messages even before I've had a request thread available about what they're looking for and what kinks they want me to do and I'm thinking "Uh, hi?" Reading my request thread, offering up ideas, and just general politeness are all good in my book. I like to do the same. Read the entire RT, find plots or pairings of interest, and offer up my own ideas to expand on those plots.
I think it's important not to act like a douchebag. That first impression is everything.

Like I'm a person. I can count how many times people have sent messages even before I've had a request thread available about what they're looking for and what kinks they want me to do and I'm thinking "Uh, hi?" Reading my request thread, offering up ideas, and just general politeness are all good in my book. I like to do the same. Read the entire RT, find plots or pairings of interest, and offer up my own ideas to expand on those plots.
I think it's important not to act like a douchebag. That first impression is everything.

You are literally my exact opposite to me. My ideal approach to receive is "I want to play this person. I'd like you to be this sort of person. I want to do terrible things x, y and z to you."

Okay, maybe I exaggerate a little - it's nice to have some general feel for what people like and options, but what I really want from an approach is to know if we're going to be compatible or not.

You are literally my exact opposite to me. My ideal approach to receive is "I want to play this person. I'd like you to be this sort of person. I want to do terrible things x, y and z to you."

Okay, maybe I exaggerate a little - it's nice to have some general feel for what people like and options, but what I really want from an approach is to know if we're going to be compatible or not.
I don't mind getting to know what people have a feel for, all roads lead to that place eventually maybe. I just don't like to be approached with "What are your kinks?" with nothing else to follow that. It has happened. We can get to kinks sure, but I want ideas and more. That's just me.

I don't mind getting to know what people have a feel for, all roads lead to that place eventually maybe. I just don't like to be approached with "What are your kinks?" with nothing else to follow that. It has happened. We can get to kinks sure, but I want ideas and more. That's just me.

Sorry if my post came across as critical at all. It amused me how different we both were. No judgement!

Don't apologize, I didn't take it that way. The beauty of it all is that we can have our different styles and tastes while doing something we enjoy.

A simple "Hi" or "Hello" and then that you have read my RT and have ideas to enhance or a tangent to one of my ideas. Usually, the best will include something about a Supermarket (it was the name of my last RT) to show that they read my page and have something (humorous) to offer.

I don't mind longer intros, but I encourage something in the range of a few paragraphs. Much longer and it's either copy/paste, which is a touch cheesy, or you put in that much effort - which is flattering, but doesn't guarantee we have a vibe. I don't like encouraging significant work if we aren't settled on, well, even being a fit. In some cases I know there is a ton of copy/paste/rehash of options that were presented to others, there I don't feel so bad. I'm kinda picky about who works out in the long run. Even when it works I've had enough spooky people to go 'eh'. So, something that captures the gist of wants and offers a direction, and then we go from there. If that evolves into something much longer... beautiful.

I've also honestly gone for in character starts on rare occasion, one going a good distance on BMR. Unfortunately it was when I had some pretty massive gaps of presence. I'm pretty sure it hasn't made it at this point. I's no certainty that things will work, but there's a charm to it Especially if it's a mutual build and a lot of the stuff I look for in a partner just happens to be in place.

Nothing special. Just let me know what drew you to me and what in particular you're interested in doing. I'll almost certainly look at your post history looking for request threads, roleplays and kink lists just to see how you write and whether we're compatible, so if you're a lurker I may ask a lot of questions.

Back
Top Bottom