Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Drow Wars (OOC thread)

Question for everyone:

Since this game will be highly sexualised I was considering some rules regarding naked armor - simply that if you wear less armor than is optimal then you get an AC bonus. I'm not sure how to implement it or if it's a good idea or if it will unbalance things. I'd like to hear your thoughts and suggestions - if you have any.

Maybe add your Cha mod if you're wearing sexy things? There are classes in DnD 5e that do similar things with monks and barbarians, so this shouldn't be an issue.

The Monk already has something similar: When unarmored and unencumbered, the monk adds his Wisdom bonus (if any) to his AC and his CMD. In addition, a monk gains a +1 bonus to AC and CMD at every 4th level thereafter.

So, we should not add to this for the monks, but maybe do something similar from Charisma (Monks canchoose to use that bonus if better)?

Also, seeing that Heavy and Medium and Light armor proficiency give some classes the optional higher AC, maybe we can count +1AC bonus for NOT wearing that. (So, if able but not using Heavy, +1, if not using medium either another +1, and if not even using light, another +1. BUT it should also come with the inclusion that whatever they wear should be sexy too.

Or just say that whatever kind of armor someone wears that is sexualized (covers less), it would not loose Armor Class if they have the Charisma bonus to compensate. (so, basically wear less of the same armor, and it has the same AC at least if it was a full one) - but it would also remove AC penalty for every two loss of armor AC [basically asexualized breast plate that covers less would keep its +6AC if you can add +2 from 14 Cha, but it would only have a -3 AC penalty]

Or just add special sexy armors, maybe masterworks, special materials, or magic that gives more AC than their 'normal' counterpart.

I think we can just be loose with the descriptions and call it a day. There are already ways to add cha to AC if you dress sexy. I don't know if everyone needs to.

But pathfinder is weird like that. Every little thing needs a mechanical value.

I'm reluctant to let it depend on an ability score. That will give the advantage to certain builds and like it was mentioned there are already ways to get charisma bonus to AC.

I have never really considered charisma to be related to how sexy or good characters look. There was an ability score back in 1st edition AD&D (I think... at least it was in the 1st ed. Oriental Adventures) that was called comeliness or something like that, and that was how good the characters looked. For me charisma have always been the force of personality - Hitler would have had a high charisma but no one (or very few) would consider him extremely sexy or good looking ;)

I do however like what ChrisGabriel suggests:

Also, seeing that Heavy and Medium and Light armor proficiency give some classes the optional higher AC, maybe we can count +1AC bonus for NOT wearing that. (So, if able but not using Heavy, +1, if not using medium either another +1, and if not even using light, another +1. BUT it should also come with the inclusion that whatever they wear should be sexy too.

So basically a fighter without armor gets a +3 Armor bonus to AC, if they wear light armor their armor gets +2 extra Armor Bonus to AC etc. That won't be overpowering or anything, but make a small compensation to those that want to dress down.

I'm not objecting to the goofy simulationist urge. :p

I'm saying that giving everyone an ability that is normally very narrowly available and not before level 13 (mystery cultist of Arshea) might be unbalancing.

My only thought on making proficiencies have an AC buffer, really, is that it'll reduce the relative value of Unarmored Defense, since monks (etc) don't have any down to dress.

Anyway, I have the concept narrowed down to a relatively young drow whose family has been surface-dwelling for at least two generations. It doesn't keep She and Arkady from calling their own back, though. Some mix of oracle, fiend-keeper medium, and hag-called or abomination psychic. Any pair of those is a poor gestalt; I know. But here we are.

But then there's also the attractiveness factor :unsure: Just because a character's naked doesn't mean they're attractive (though you could argue that an unattractive character can still be distracting in their nakedness >w> )

Assuming that we're all playing reasonably attractive characters, then I guess a +1 misc. bonus to AC for wearing scanty clothes could be fine.

Godbound handles this very smoothly. It's the equivalent of a cheap, common magical item to completely divorce the look of armor from its AC rating. Like, probably would cost a thousand gp flat, not even a +1

Godbound handles this very smoothly. It's the equivalent of a cheap, common magical item to completely divorce the look of armor from its AC rating. Like, probably would cost a thousand gp flat, not even a +1
Actually not a bad idea. I'll have to consider that.

This includes things like having three tons of steel you can still move in, or extensive frills that never get in the way, or bells and bangles that protect like splint mail. It also only has three types of armor, but the principle is still there.

Important

Since I've now started one group I would be very happy if you refrain from visiting the other group's IC thread. I'm using the same adventure for both groups and there will be spoilers. Since this is not a totally linear adventure there will be things that will differ quite a lot between the two.

Back
Top Bottom