Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

A Fantasy Adventure (or 2)

QuillAndInk

For Pen and Paper!
tyler-edlin-fantasy-landscape1.jpg

If you are interested in this, you must PM me your character sheet. Responses here will be ignored – I am being selective with whom I choose as this is intended to be a small, group game with a focus on quality over quantity. I am looking for a balance (initially) – so in addition to my character, I am looking for +2 Male and +3 Female characters. Depending on popularity, these numbers may expand. I am looking to run two plots at the same time – each plot is requiring the same number of individuals.

======

Setting: Medieval Fantasy / Freeform

Magic Level: None

Character Style (images): Think ‘Pathfinder’/Kings of the Realm/Realistic looking characters. Examples have been included.

Races: Human

Post Length: No less than 3 Paragraphs

Character Creation Guide: I need thought put into these characters. Who are they that they have reached this point in their life? What is their motivation? Their strengths and flaws? Before we get into detailed character creation, I want people to present me with the basic concept and ‘role’ of their character. This will make sense when you read the next section.

The System: I wish I knew how any of the dice-systems that exist. I’ve never been exposed to any of them. So I am going to implement a very rudimentary system for combat. Basically a Success vs Failure rate, based on perceived character skill – unless some one can present a simple dice-based system for characters that is easy to pickup/learn on the fly. I will be GM-ing the outcomes of such things and other pivotal moments, though at this moment combat is not going to be the focus of things.

======

Plot 1: The King is Mad, mad with grief. The Heir to Ribenheim has sailed off into the unknown, exploring for the Western Lands that no man has ever laid eyes upon. A fools errand, if there was any. Very few who have ventured to the West have come back alive. Those few that have are usually raving lunatics, starving and malnourished, some even resorting to cannibalism to survive. Most think that the Western Lands are nothing more than a myth, as real as Dragons and Dwarves. But that doesn’t stop those with a sense of adventure from trying.

It has been 6 months since the Prince of Ribenheim was declared lost at sea. The King is convinced he is alive and has thrown together a new expedition – this one to locate the Prince and bring him home safely. But who is brave enough to Sail into uncharted waters? Who is crazy enough to sign aboard a ship destined for doom? The reward, of course, is extreme -a handsome sum fit for a King.

Some, of course, don’t have a choice. The expedition leader is none other than Sir Konrad Roht, an aging veteran of the Legion who has served with some distinction – his prowess on the battlefield, success in command, and the battles attributed to his name did get him Knighted by the King, afterall. Past his prime, he has been forced out of retirement to find the Prince – a man he once trained and knows quite well.

======

Plot 2: The Legions of Ribenheim are legendary and are the dominant force in the region. Much of Ribenheims success and wealth has come from expansion, the Legions at the head. Each Legion has a history, the Legionaires serving with pride, proud to represent their Legion which are often derived from specific regions in Ribenheim. There is one Legion that the people of Ribenheim do not talk about, the one Legion that has forever cursed its number in the eyes of all, a number now associated with bad luck.

The 13th​ Legion marched into the Wilderness of the North one fine, sunny morning….and disappeared forever. Not a thing was ever heard from them again, not trace was ever discovered. The Wilds of the North, of course, are a dangerous place to go, an untamed frontier. Hunters and trappers never travel more then a few days North of the River – as they call it – those that do are seldom heard of again. The town of Tetrarch, built by the 13th​ Legion as they gathered supplies for their venture North, is a backwater town most people seem to have forgotten about. It draws treasure hunters, thieves, trappers and traders. Some are foolish enough to venture North, looking for lost Cities of Gold, Ancient Treasures, and even the remains of the 13th​ Legion.

The Notice board in the town square has yet another call to arms. A man is seeking companions for a trip north, an equal share in all treasures discovered. Those interested are to meet at the Ramshackle Inn, near the ferry landing, at Dawn, if they wish to accompany the man on his trek. No promises are made and its clear that stragglers will be left behind. Who is brave enough to try and make a name for themselves? Who is looking to escape from a town of thieves?

======

The Process: Again, PM’s will be responded too, do not post characters in this thread. Please title them with your character name and which plot you’re most interested in. Once I get a feel for who is interested in what, and the types of characters people want to play, I’ll be able to provide more details and advance the process.

Plot 1 Characters:

Sir Konrad Roht, The Wolf of the North
Profession: Knight of the Realm, Leader of the Expedition
Character Reference: See here

Background and Personality: Konrad Roht was born in a small village in the North, where the winters were long and the summers were short. Once upon a time, his family had been one of the many Northern Clans before the Legions of Ribenheim swept them up into the Empire. Their way of life changed, a war-like people turning to domestication. Even so, many of the boys joined the Legion when they became Men, seeking glory for their Clans and their people. Konrad was no different, enlisting a year early, his tall stature aiding in his lie. Like most Northmen, Konrad stood over 6ft tall and was broad-shouldered and strong despite his age. He had always been training from a young age - there was a good reason many Northmen were employed as Bodyguards by those who could afford them. An 8 year enlistment was all that was required by the Legion - good service could see that reduced - and many Northmen saw it as a stepping stone towards employment as a Bodyguard, often to a wealthy Merchant, where the pay was good and the work was easy.

Konrad's forefathers had always returned to the North after their enlistments were over. The call of the North always drew them back home, to work the lands where they had been born and raised. They looked down on the sell-sword way so many chose and Konrad...well, Konrad wasn't sure what he planned to do with his life after his enlistment was over. He had never looked to his long term future like that. Traveling South to the Legionary encampment to enlist had been the first time he had traveled more than a few days South in his entire lifetime. The terrain and climate changed, the people and the accents did as well. It was an eye-opening experience for him but once enlisted, he found himself fitting in with Legionary Life quite readily.

Fit and strong, a head taller than those around him save the other Northmen, his blond hair helped make his heritage stand out. Northmen were often formed into special assault units, better fitted to a more varied fighting style than the typical Legionaire. Their natural affinity towards combat made their fierce fighters better suited to roles where the neat Legionaires lines often had difficulty staying in contact. For Konrad, that meant two broadswords and a throwing ax native to his people. He possessed a natural speed uncommon to his people which made him more adept with the weapons, whereas most Northmen used broad axes, claymores, and other large, often two-handed weapons.

Konrad rose through the ranks as he settled in with his unit. They were soon on the front, fighting a campaign against a rebellion in the foothills of the East. The terrain was suited to the rebels, rocky and hilly and heavily forested. The Legion has trouble employing traditional tactics, but the arrival of Konrad and his band saw a change to that. It was here that Konrad earned his name - The Wolf of the North - as he relentlessly pursued and tracked down Rebels no matter what the terrain or conditions were. Future campaigns saw his status and popularity rise, his unit becoming known as the Wolves of the North, all Northmen, an elite unit among the Legion.

Konrad served two terms of enlistment before retiring at the age of 33...albeit to the Capital, upon invitation of the King to become of of the Princes many tutors. It was an offer Konrad was unable to refuse, even if he wanted to. When the King asked, you obeyed. Konrad bonded with the Prince and soon became both his personal bodyguard and Master-at-Arms, training the lad in the ways of combat. After 3 years, the Prince now of Age, Konrad was able to retire again - this time returning to the North where he was able to hang up his ax and swords and find a wife. A legend about the common folk in the North was nothing to gawk at.

Now at 38, Konrad has been forced out of retirement once more, this time to lead an expedition to find the Prince. No man is better for the job, even if being at Sea is not the most wonderful feeling for a man used to rampaging through the woods.

Major Strengths: Endurance, Dual-Wielding Swords, Axe Throwing
Major Flaws: PTSD, Lone Wolf Mentality, Desire to Retire

Why are they here?: On invitation of the King, to lead the expedition.
Secret Secret Information: Secrets, Secrets, I won't tell...

======
======

Plot 2 Characters:

Connor, The Ghost of Ribenheim
Profession: 'Adventurer'
Character Reference: See here

Background and Personality: Connor was an Orphan at the age of 3. His father...well, he doesn't talk about his father. His mother, though, his mother tried to protect him as best she could when they were cast out onto the streets. He was too young to remember the screams, to remember what he saw, but when a passerby found him in the morning he was covered in blood and halfdead. A fever took him and he really nearly did die, if not for the care of the Undertaker. An old man, protector of Orphans in the City, the Undertaker was the last hope for many. No one really knew who he was, why he did what he did, but Connor remembered.

At the age of 6, like many Orphans living in the gutters of the City, Connor became part of a gang of Urchins. He learned how to beg, how to steal. It was how you survived in a place like that. You either survived or you were dead. But Connor wasn't the oldest or the biggest, so he never got the lions share of anything. He learned to become the quickest, to get away from the Bullies and the Beaters who just liked to inflict pain. He learned how to climb, to get to places where no one else would find him, so he'd be safe when he slept. Connor saw them kill Little Billy for the sport of it one night. They thought no one had seen, but Connor remembered.

Climbing opened up a whole new world to Connor. You couldn't see everything from the Street Level, or under it, in the Gutter. But on the roofs? Connor could see everything, could hear everything. Connor soon began to sell the information he heard to the Gangs, acting as a go between. Sometimes, they tried to ambush him, to stop him spreading things, but they never did learn how he always maneuvered around them. He was a master of a climber, able to get up to almost anywhere, the rooftops his own secret highway. But it wasn't always the safest place to be. Climbing when it rained was dangerous and so were old roof tiles, but Connor remembered.

A courtyard full of boys training and fighting was Connors favorite discovery. He would sit and watch, often mimicking their movements. He must not have been too cautious though, as one day he found a basket of food sitting on the ledge of the roof. Connor thought it was too good to be true but devoured the bread and cheese and even the meat that been left inside of it! The second time it happened, Connor knew he had been discovered and that it was no accident. He avoided the place for a whole week until he thought it was safe again, but a new basket of food awaited him the next time. One evening, an old man, the Master-at-Arms where the boys were training, called out to him. No one had cared when the Undertaker had passed away, but Connor remembered.

The Old Man was only the second person in his life to show kindness to him. The food was only the beginning. The Old Man was a veteran, teaching the children of the rich and nobles how to fight from an early age. Connor was welcome to watch, and join in, if he wanted to. It took time for Connor to learn to turst the Old Man, but eventually he began to join in. The other boys were bigger and stronger then him, many looking at his appearance with disdain. Pain was nothing knew to Connor but it was clear to him that he'd never catch up to their level of training though. Not with all the days he had to go begging or stealing while they were training. The Old Man handed him a boy one day and Connor began his training in earnest. Something about the boy made things easier for him, made the many difference equal on the field. The Old Man had given him a chance, but Connor remembered.

Connor killed for the first time when Maeven was beaten for not stealing enough. She was much like him, when he had been her age, and didn't know any better. The knife had cut through Gill's neck like a knife through a loaf of bread. Connor had killed again when the Gangs had come looking for him and killed the Old Man. Connor had a bow of his own by then, a sword too though he wasn't very good with it. But the knives, the knives he always kept with him. He gathered his things and so began the Culling. Connor took down each and everyone who had laid a hand on the Old Man. Then he went after their leaders, the Bosses, and all those who sought to harm him. Connor remembered every last one of them.

Years have passed since then, and recent discoveries have shaken Connors world. He has since journeyed to the town of Tetrarch, Hunters on his heel, and is about to embark on the adventure of a lifetime - journeying into the Wilds of the North, to escape his future and discover his past.

Major Strengths: Archery, Stealth, Sleight-of-Hand
Major Flaws: Anti-Social, Paranoid/Untrusting, Hunted

Why are they here?:
Secret Secret Information:
Shadow-Walker, Terror of the Night, Dream-Stealer, Soul Eater,

As for system, I am thinking a value is assigned to various combat skills. The success rate value goes up the higher the skill value does.

Back
Top Bottom