Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Dungeons and Dragons 5e aimed at New Players (Discord)

Azure-Yuki

Star
Hello everyone. I am looking to run a game of Dungeons and Dragons 5th edition that will be aimed primarily at new players. But that does not mean veteran players are not welcome. Only that I want new players who maybe have no experience with tabletop games to feel welcome to try something new. If you are someone new to the game or have maybe never played, feel free to join. I'm more than happy to help new players figure out rules, character creation, etc.

In order to be welcome at my table (virtual or otherwise) all I ask is you come with a thirst for adventure, collaborative storytelling, and be friendly/respectful to your fellow players and myself.

I will go over specific rules and such in the appropriate thread once players are assembled. But this is generally going to be a basic straightforward game relying primarily on the character options and rules in the Players Handbook (PHB). I intend to try to run the game over Discord voice chat, hopefully to run one three or so hour session one evening a week. This would most likely be ran sometime between 5-10 PM Central Standard Time so please keep that in mind. Depending on the flow of the game and what the group decides, the game could run anywhere between 5-10 sessions or more. But that is only an estimate obviously.

What sort of game will it be? So far I am looking at two options:

The Lost Mines of Phandelver
dnd_starter_set_art.jpg

Or Tales from the Yawning Portal
yawningpdurnan.jpeg

I have a had a few people already voice interest in a game so obviously they are in if they want. I'm looking for a group of around 3-5 so space is obviously limited. If anyone is interested, please let me know.

~EDIT~
For new players who do not have any of the published books, you can get a free (and legal) set of the basic rules here.

Last edited:
@east
@Kangutso

I have you both down. Please let me know your preferences between the two possible scenarios. Lost Mines of Phandelver is the module that comes in the Starter Set and is a bit free form with sidequests and such. Whereas Tales From the Yawning Portal is a collection of classic DnD mega dungeons.

I am a new player; I am looking for experience so that I cand better understand the te game mechanics to GM my first D&D 5e Game.

Yay! Although I will be honest, I've been going over the PHB and some of the rules and such are inexplicable to me. Like rolling for my initiative dice to add to my initiative roll when attack, what die I need to roll for my attacks and health points. I've got some of it down. But the PHB phrases things in an unusual manner that doesn't compute. It's due to the brain injury I got some time ago. I take somewhat longer to comprehend things. That said, I'll do my best!
[automerge]1567905059[/automerge]
I come from 3.5 and have had some really lousy, lazy an incompetent DM's that wouldn't help me so I learned the best I could on my own. 5e is more simple, but it's a completely different animal.

Yay! Although I will be honest, I've been going over the PHB and some of the rules and such are inexplicable to me. Like rolling for my initiative dice to add to my initiative roll when attack, what die I need to roll for my attacks and health points. I've got some of it down. But the PHB phrases things in an unusual manner that doesn't compute. It's due to the brain injury I got some time ago. I take somewhat longer to comprehend things. That said, I'll do my best!
[automerge]1567905059[/automerge]
I come from 3.5 and have had some really lousy, lazy an incompetent DM's that wouldn't help me so I learned the best I could on my own. 5e is more simple, but it's a completely different animal.

No worries. If you have any questions then feel free to ask. That's the point of trying to cater to new players.

I have the PHB, DM's Guide and Xanathar's Guide. I have all three in PDF format, if you need any of them, I can try and lend them to you.

Unless you were planning on playing without rolling for stats and such?
[automerge]1567905855[/automerge]
Oh, I thought Yuki had said that. Lol. I was like "Wait..."

I know nothing about either scenario, so it doesn't matter to me. I also don't have a copy of any DnD material like the PHB.

Check out here for a download for a free set of the rules. It does not have all of what is in the PHB in terms of races, classes, etc. but it looks like it's a great place to get started.

No worries. If you have any questions then feel free to ask. That's the point of trying to cater to new players.

Will we be rolling for stats, buying stats, or using the numeral stats listed and assigning them to each STR, DEX, CON, etc?

Will we be rolling for stats, buying stats, or using the numeral stats listed and assigning them to each STR, DEX, CON, etc?

You can have the choice of Standard Array (15, 14, 13, 12, 10, 8) or the Point Buy system that is in the PHB.

Can we use both? Like use the standard array to set base stats, then buy points? What do you buy points with anyways? It can't be experience points or money, especially if we are starting at level 1. We don't have much of either. lol And I probably won't be able to buy points with my looks if I choose a Half-orc. Hahaha.

I don't want to play necessarily, but I want to just let everyone know that DnD Beyond is a great place to get the standard books for free. Along with all sorts of other information

Can we use both? Like use the standard array to set base stats, then buy points? What do you buy points with anyways? It can't be experience points or money, especially if we are starting at level 1. We don't have much of either. lol And I probably won't be able to buy points with my looks if I choose a Half-orc. Hahaha.

They aren't systems that you can use in conjunction, they are just two different ways to determine your stats. Here is an example:

Standard Array:
You start with six attribute scores (15, 14, 13, 12, 10, 8) that you can then place in any of your attributes. Then you would add your racial bonuses on top of those scores.

Point Buy:
All of your attribute scores start at 8 and you have a pool of 27 points that you can spend in order to increase those scores. You can increase any score to a maximum of 15. The only tricky part is the cost increases after 13. It costs 2 points to increase a score from 13 to 14, and another 2 points to go from 14 to 15. Once your 27 points are gone, you cannot go any further. Then, like Standard Array, you add on your racial bonuses.

Mathematically neither system is more powerful than the other. Standard Array can be reached using Point Buy with all of the points used up. Point Buy simply allows you more flexibility in how you allocate your points. For example, you can use Point Buy so that you do not have any negative modifiers but you would be losing points somewhere else in trade.

I might just use Point Buy then. I'll just need to see the table for how much stats cost so I am able to correctly purchase the points I don't want a -1 if my intelligence is 8. I know Orcs aren't the sharpest tool in the shed, but I want to at least make it a 0. My strength and constitution will something I will be my primary investment, though I'd like my DEX and Wisdom to have at least a +1 modifier My strength and Constitution will have + 2 modifiers due impart to the racial bonuses of +2 to strength and +1 to the constitution.

Will you allow a homebrew character class? I was going to make my character a Barbarian slave turned Gladiator and I'd like to multiclass into an actual Gladiator class to give him more credence. I have the class, its proficiencies, feats, and skills. I don't think it'd be game-breaking in any way--we could even compromise if you feel it's too strong. I can post it in a DM if you'd like

I might just use Point Buy then. I'll just need to see the table for how much stats cost so I am able to correctly purchase the points I don't want a -1 if my intelligence is 8. I know Orcs aren't the sharpest tool in the shed, but I want to at least make it a 0. My strength and constitution will something I will be my primary investment, though I'd like my DEX and Wisdom to have at least a +1 modifier My strength and Constitution will have + 2 modifiers due impart to the racial bonuses of +2 to strength and +1 to the constitution.

Will you allow a homebrew character class? I was going to make my character a Barbarian slave turned Gladiator and I'd like to multiclass into an actual Gladiator class to give him more credence. I have the class, its proficiencies, feats, and skills. I don't think it'd be game-breaking in any way--we could even compromise if you feel it's too strong. I can post it in a DM if you'd like

I was going to bring this up in the rules thread but I'd like to keep things basic so I'm not looking to mess with homebrew and multiclassing.

Take a look at Champion Fighter sometime, or possibly the Battle Master if you want a more tactful warrior. I think both could work well for a gladiator type character. The fighter class in general is incredibly open ended and they get more Ability Score Increases than anyone so they are incredibly flexible. You could also take a look at the Gladiator background and incorporate that into a Fighter or Barbarian.

I am here to apply as a Dragon Born Paladin with gold scales and a vibe that just screams,"I am the HERO!" Is that cool?

I am here to apply as a Dragon Born Paladin with gold scales and a vibe that just screams,"I am the HERO!" Is that cool?
Our hero, our hero
Claims a warriors heart
I tell you, I tell you
The Dragonborne comes

Something like that, Zeth? :p

You're in. That gives us four players. One more, and I'll say we're full.

Yes! If need be I can take the knight background so I have a commoner follow me around and clap coconuts.

That's what I was going to do; Make a Half-Orc who was sold to the fighting pits in his youth since he was a slave, use the Gladiator Background. The thing is, however, Gladiator is listed under entertainer. And it has skills that I mostly find useless? Again, I'm new so maybe I just don't see a use for them in the context I am going for. That's why I suggested that I take the homebrewed Gladiator Class as it has proficiencies relating to gladiatorial combat; arms and armor and skills as well the tools.

But, hey maybe you can teach me how to use the Entertainer stats in somewhat that makes me a famous gladiator. As much bloodshed that was spilled in the amphitheaters and the Coliseum, its much more about the spectacle than actually killing each other. Slaves were expensive to feed and train so it was actually unusual to have a fight to the death unlike movies and TV shows. It did happen, but it was rare because it took a lot for a gladiator to become a good fighter and entertainer for the crowd. I'd be like killing the fold goose as they say.

But could you PM me about multiclassing? Like I said I'm looking to start my own campaign and I'd like to understand how it works in case someone wants to try it. I understand a fe things, just not everything. ^^;;

Back
Top Bottom