Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Dungeons and Dragons 5e aimed at New Players (Discord)

Azure-Yuki

Star
Hello everyone. I am looking to run a game of Dungeons and Dragons 5th edition that will be aimed primarily at new players. But that does not mean veteran players are not welcome. Only that I want new players who maybe have no experience with tabletop games to feel welcome to try something new. If you are someone new to the game or have maybe never played, feel free to join. I'm more than happy to help new players figure out rules, character creation, etc.

In order to be welcome at my table (virtual or otherwise) all I ask is you come with a thirst for adventure, collaborative storytelling, and be friendly/respectful to your fellow players and myself.

I will go over specific rules and such in the appropriate thread once players are assembled. But this is generally going to be a basic straightforward game relying primarily on the character options and rules in the Players Handbook (PHB). I intend to try to run the game over Discord voice chat, hopefully to run one three or so hour session one evening a week. This would most likely be ran sometime between 5-10 PM Central Standard Time so please keep that in mind. Depending on the flow of the game and what the group decides, the game could run anywhere between 5-10 sessions or more. But that is only an estimate obviously.

What sort of game will it be? So far I am looking at two options:

The Lost Mines of Phandelver
dnd_starter_set_art.jpg

Or Tales from the Yawning Portal
yawningpdurnan.jpeg

I have a had a few people already voice interest in a game so obviously they are in if they want. I'm looking for a group of around 3-5 so space is obviously limited. If anyone is interested, please let me know.

~EDIT~
For new players who do not have any of the published books, you can get a free (and legal) set of the basic rules here.

Last edited:
I am a Gold Scaled Dragon born. That is a players handbook race. Dragon born play like humans but they spit a breathe weapon type by their scale choice and stick out like a sore thumb.

So, basically they are half-dragons from other iterations; they have scales, a breath weapon but are set up like Humans?

I wouldn't say the Entertainer's skills are useless. It all depends on how you want to roleplay your character. Gladiators were showmen as much as they were warriors. That's why the Gladiator background is a variant on Entertainer. They get Acrobatics and Performance which seem great for a Gladiator. Acrobatics will mean that you are sure footed, can keep your balance, and maybe even throw in a little flourish to your movements like a flip or roll sometime. Performance can let you show off your combat prowess.

You say you want to play a Half-Orc which would probably carry some stigma in towns and such. Your character could put on a bit of a show to get people on your side. You can also grab Athletics and something else from either the Barbarian or Fighter and I would think that would finish off the Gladiator feel. Keep in mind, these are just ideas of how you could build such a character. Heck, as a Fighter you could have the stats to take a 12, 13, or even 14 in your Charisma score if you really wanted to go in on the idea while still having decent Strength and Constitution.

Are you still looking for players, or is the party closed for now? Not a stranger to tabletop RPs, but I've never played 5e before

I might be a human Fighter with his archetype being Samurai because my character in my Campaign is a Half-Orc. No sense in doing the same race and class twice. Plus humans get +1 in onn all stats. He'll have the Soldier Background. Proficient in all martial and simple weapons, Light and Medium armors; Proficiency Bonus +2, 1d10 Hit die.
[automerge]1567912618[/automerge]
That's my final choice.

I have a question; in 3.5 Katanas, Nodachis were exotic weapons. Are they so in 5e? Cause a samurai uses a Nodachi or a Katana as their primary weapon.

So, no support yet? I don't mind filling that roll, I just don't know what classes to look at
Go with whatever class interests you. If you're asking specifically which classes can do support. I believe Bards and Clerics are usually the most common contenders. Not sure about Druid. Of course Wizards have tons of utility.

I have a question; in 3.5 Katanas, Nodachis were exotic weapons. Are they so in 5e? Cause a samurai uses a Nodachi or a Katana as their primary weapon.
Those weapons are not technically in 5e as far as I am aware. If you want a katana, just use the stats of a longsword.

Also, just make sure your samurai subclass came from Xanathar's Guide to Everything and not a homebrew.

A katana is more of a bastard sword in contrast. It's been compared to a bastard sword in other iterations as wel But I'll put down a long swords stats; the Samura start off with a daisho (long and short swords). So he also starts with a short sword. Other iterations say that the weapons are hereditary masterworks. Which is true to the way; it's like a Spartan and his hoplon. It's passed down from generation to generation. But, I don't see where it says masterworks in Xanathars so I won't add it or argue to add it. I'm here to learn not to bicker.

Bonus Proficiency. The skill proficiencies from Elegant Courtier have been moved here. Also, Performance is now in the list you can choose from.

Fighting Spirit. You no longer gain resistance to bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing damage. Instead you get temporary hit points. They go from 5 at level 3, up to 15 at level 15. This majorly decreases the defensive capabilities of the subclass. You can’t compare the resistance to temporary hit points, especially at higher levels. If at level 15, you get hit by 2 attacks that deal 30 damage each, you will take 45 damage, instead of 30 that you’d get with the resistance. However, resistance, especially to these common damage types, isn’t the best thing.

Elegant Courtier. The first part is the same. The proficiencies have been moved to a separate feature. Also, the Unbreakable Will feature has been moved here.

Tireless Spirit. This is a feature we’ve seen with different names in various Unearthed Arcana subclasses. It gives you an additional use of Fighting Spirit when you roll initiative and you have no more uses of it. I really like this feature, because it probably tries to balance the absence of the resistances, and also because I consider it a really good mechanic.

Rapid Strike. The same idea but with modified mechanics. The attack with advantage mentioned now needs to be part of your Attack action and the extra attack no longer needs a bonus action. Also, you can use this feature only once per turn. That’s here because the wording has changed. I believe the change has happened because both this feature and Fighting Spirit needed a bonus action.

Strength Before Death. The idea has changed a bit. The damage isn’t delayed and now you are considered to be at 0 hit points. This means taking damage causes death saving throw failures. I guess it has changed because temporary hit points don’t help you regain consciousness

I liked 3.5's Samurai class a lot better, it had a lot more to offer in terms of skills feats, abilities. But I'll try to make this work.

A katana is more of a bastard sword in contrast. It's been compared to a bastard sword in other iterations as wel But I'll put down a long swords stats; the Samura start off with a daisho (long and short swords). So he also starts with a short sword. Other iterations say that the weapons are hereditary masterworks. Which is true to the way; it's like a Spartan and his hoplon. It's passed down from generation to generation. But, I don't see where it says masterworks in Xanathars so I won't add it or argue to add it. I'm here to learn not to bicker.

Bonus Proficiency. The skill proficiencies from Elegant Courtier have been moved here. Also, Performance is now in the list you can choose from.

Fighting Spirit. You no longer gain resistance to bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing damage. Instead you get temporary hit points. They go from 5 at level 3, up to 15 at level 15. This majorly decreases the defensive capabilities of the subclass. You can’t compare the resistance to temporary hit points, especially at higher levels. If at level 15, you get hit by 2 attacks that deal 30 damage each, you will take 45 damage, instead of 30 that you’d get with the resistance. However, resistance, especially to these common damage types, isn’t the best thing.

Elegant Courtier. The first part is the same. The proficiencies have been moved to a separate feature. Also, the Unbreakable Will feature has been moved here.

Tireless Spirit. This is a feature we’ve seen with different names in various Unearthed Arcana subclasses. It gives you an additional use of Fighting Spirit when you roll initiative and you have no more uses of it. I really like this feature, because it probably tries to balance the absence of the resistances, and also because I consider it a really good mechanic.

Rapid Strike. The same idea but with modified mechanics. The attack with advantage mentioned now needs to be part of your Attack action and the extra attack no longer needs a bonus action. Also, you can use this feature only once per turn. That’s here because the wording has changed. I believe the change has happened because both this feature and Fighting Spirit needed a bonus action.

Strength Before Death. The idea has changed a bit. The damage isn’t delayed and now you are considered to be at 0 hit points. This means taking damage causes death saving throw failures. I guess it has changed because temporary hit points don’t help you regain consciousness

I liked 3.5's Samurai class a lot better, it had a lot more to offer in terms of skills feats, abilities. But I'll try to make this work.

I'm not sure where you're pulling your information but the 5e Samurai is listed here.

That's fine. Just make sure the material itself matches. What I linked you is what's written in the book verbatim. It's not an analysis that references older editions.

But was referring to this:

Daisho Proficiency (Ex): In melee combat, a samurai favors the katana (a masterwork bastard sword) and the wakizashi (a masterwork short sword). Many samurai receive an heirloom set of these two blades, known as the daisho. Because a samurai is trained in their use, he gains Exotic Weapon Proficiency (bastard sword) as a bonus feat.

Not sure which edition that's from, I think it might be 3.5 maybe? But it clearly lists the Katana as a type of bastard sword. Which is why I asked earlier if 5e did exotic weapons. Lol.
[automerge]1567915689[/automerge]
So I have to find the hit die for a long sword now. >.> *flips through his manual.

Longsword is 1d8 (one handed) and 1d10 (two handed) for the base hit die, I do not think that has ever changed in any version of dnd ever.

But was referring to this:

Daisho Proficiency (Ex): In melee combat, a samurai favors the katana (a masterwork bastard sword) and the wakizashi (a masterwork short sword). Many samurai receive an heirloom set of these two blades, known as the daisho. Because a samurai is trained in their use, he gains Exotic Weapon Proficiency (bastard sword) as a bonus feat.

Not sure which edition that's from, I think it might be 3.5 maybe? But it clearly lists the Katana as a type of bastard sword. Which is why I asked earlier if 5e did exotic weapons. Lol.
[automerge]1567915689[/automerge]
So I have to find the hit die for a long sword now. >.> *flips through his manual.

Yes, but we're playing 5e. Not 3.5. Those weapons do not exist in the game. Use the longsword for the katana and the shortsword for the wakizashi.

freeko is right. A longsword is 1d8 when used one handed and 1d10 when two handed.

Back
Top Bottom