Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Dungeons and Dragons 5e aimed at New Players (Discord)

Azure-Yuki

Star
Hello everyone. I am looking to run a game of Dungeons and Dragons 5th edition that will be aimed primarily at new players. But that does not mean veteran players are not welcome. Only that I want new players who maybe have no experience with tabletop games to feel welcome to try something new. If you are someone new to the game or have maybe never played, feel free to join. I'm more than happy to help new players figure out rules, character creation, etc.

In order to be welcome at my table (virtual or otherwise) all I ask is you come with a thirst for adventure, collaborative storytelling, and be friendly/respectful to your fellow players and myself.

I will go over specific rules and such in the appropriate thread once players are assembled. But this is generally going to be a basic straightforward game relying primarily on the character options and rules in the Players Handbook (PHB). I intend to try to run the game over Discord voice chat, hopefully to run one three or so hour session one evening a week. This would most likely be ran sometime between 5-10 PM Central Standard Time so please keep that in mind. Depending on the flow of the game and what the group decides, the game could run anywhere between 5-10 sessions or more. But that is only an estimate obviously.

What sort of game will it be? So far I am looking at two options:

The Lost Mines of Phandelver
dnd_starter_set_art.jpg

Or Tales from the Yawning Portal
yawningpdurnan.jpeg

I have a had a few people already voice interest in a game so obviously they are in if they want. I'm looking for a group of around 3-5 so space is obviously limited. If anyone is interested, please let me know.

~EDIT~
For new players who do not have any of the published books, you can get a free (and legal) set of the basic rules here.

Last edited:
So, my longsword cand do 1d10 if I use both hands, and 1d8 if I use only one hand. It has a versatile function on it and does slashing damage. My short-sword, if I am allowed to have it, would do 1d6 piercing damage and has light and Finesse attributes.
[automerge]1567916575[/automerge]
Beat me to it. Lol!
[automerge]1567917185[/automerge]
Do I take my Proffiency bonus from my class or my archetype/subclass?

@Azure-Yuki

So, my longsword cand do 1d10 if I use both hands, and 1d8 if I use only one hand. It has a versatile function on it and does slashing damage. My short-sword, if I am allowed to have it, would do 1d6 piercing damage and has light and Finesse attributes.
[automerge]1567916575[/automerge]
Beat me to it. Lol!
[automerge]1567917185[/automerge]
Do I take my Proffiency bonus from my class or my archetype/subclass?

@Azure-Yuki
Proficiency bonus is based on your character level. At level 1 you get a +2 to what you're proficient in.

1567918713018.png

What do I do for Initiative? Also, if you're wondering why all my stats a '9', its because you said Point selection you start out with all 8's. But, Humans get +1 to all stats automatically. I haven't added my modifiers. I think you said I have 27 points to spend, but I don't know the 'price' or cost of each point. I know you told me they go up the more points I get--but I haven't found the table explaining point cost yet.

What about Hit Points how do I figure that up? the hit die for a monk is 1d8 I think?

This is just practice so I can get used to making characters; the monk/Kensei was my second choice before I decided on the Fighter Samurai concept. So don't really mind it too much, I'm gonna switch it over to Fighter/ Samurai once I get all the technicalities worked out and know what I'm doing.

But, if you want I cand to change it to a Fighter 1d10 if that'll help. That's no biggie.

This is just practice so I can get used to making characters; the monk/Kensei was my second choice before I decided on the Fighter Samurai concept. So don't really mind it too much, I'm gonna switch it over to Fighter/ Samurai once I get all the technicalities worked out and know what I'm doing.

But, if you want I cand to change it to a Fighter 1d10 if that'll help. That's no biggie.
No, it's fine. It just looked like you thought Samurai was a subclass of Monk.

No no. I know its the subclass of the warrior. Honestly, though I think the Kensei would suit my play style more. I like to be up in the fighting and Kensei's abilities allow for that more than the Samurai class does. They nerfed the samurai class by a wide margin in my opinion, from 3.5.

Regardless, I think it'll be interesting to play even if a lot of the abilities are not right up my alley. I'll stick with it.

I think I might change to Monk/ Kensei. I'm afraid I won't know how to properly use the Samurai Archetype and I'll be a let down for everyone. Kensei is more direct and easier to use. I don't want to be the guy who doesn't fully understand what his abilities are and how to use them.

Maybe when I become more experienced the Samurai's abilities might be clear for me.

But, I do have a nagging question; If I take the archetype will I stop gaining levels in monk? Or do the two coalesce? Do you earn Monk levels AND Kensei levels?

the archtype is apart of the class. For example you gain your kensai stuff every third level and normal monk stuff all the other levels.

Which module will you be running, if you've decided yet? And do you have a time set to play? or is it Play-by-post?

Which module will you be running, if you've decided yet? And do you have a time set to play? or is it Play-by-post?
Right now it looks like we will be going with Mines. That said, I decided to order the new essential's kit which comes with a new module. I'm going to look over that and offer it to the players if I think it would make for a good game.

We will be playing via voice chat over Discord at a scheduled time.

Thanks for info. I can't do voice chat though so it won't work for me. Always forget to ask about that. Good luck finding new players though.

Back
Top Bottom