Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Ghosting to Successful RPs ratio?

This.

I very rarely initiate contact for RP, almost always I let people message me. I'd say that around 1/3 of the people who message me end up resulting in actual RP beginning, the rest result in ghosting somewhere along the process. And of those 1/3, most will ghost after a handful of posts at most.

What's sort of funny is that I've only been here a month and change and I'm already getting people reaching out to me who previously ghosted me.
i second that notion

How to message people I don't see any option. Can anyone help in this? I am new here Thanks🙂

It happens.

Sometimes life happens and partners may be forced to drop games without word.

Sometimes interest just unwaves and things hit a rut.

Sometimes people feel pressure in keeping up or don't have enough to properly work with for a reply and find themselves in a 'locked' state to keep the RP progressing.

Sometimes a person may feel like they are the one doing all the work.

Honestly there are many reasons of ghosting. I had people ghost in discussions. I had people ghost in RPs. Hell I been guilty of it as well years ago.

So what makes a RP and prevents the possibility of ghosting in happening?

Chemistry.
Well, players have to share similar tastes and personas. This is a hard given, I often make sure to see on F-List, Kinks, or something else and even inquire ahead of time. Plus players have their own standards as far as writing goes, character control goes, so on and so forth. Obviously it is best if partners can come to an agreement in what they want as oppose to just going with it. In truth, I rather have nothing transpire if me and a partner can't fully meet eye to eye than a partner just going with it and feeling dragged into a RP that they may not ultimately want to do.

Dedication.
Partners have to be dedicated in what they are to write. One person should not really be shoehorning everything. I know there may be those partners out there that would prefer for their partner to take control; but still. But still. Even I find it boring if partner is just going along for the ride; it just shows a lack of full dedication involving the setting, story, and whatever characters involved.

Cooperation.
RP is a team effort. One person cannot be the driving force behind it alone. Feedback is also important thing to keep a story interesting. I am not saying you have to radio all intentions in a play as elements of surprise are also one of the key factors; but players should have a general direction of where they are going with a game and be able to still freely discuss in what they want to include or how they like to progress(even if options.)

Patience.
Again there is often no telling what is going on. People shouldn't prod others repeatedly about a RP they may be involved with, with that person. There is always possibility that life is happening and that individual is too busy. The worst that may happen is if they indeed ghost. It sucks, it happens, but really nothing much to get work over of or about. RP is a hobby, its not life or at least for me.

30 percent is a good way to look at it. Assume 30 percent of your role plays you agree to will stay long enough to be considered long term, everything else is just unfortunate collateral. Just be nice and understanding, as not everyone leaves because they want to, and even fewer do so maliciously.

I ended up going with a shotgun approach to RPing in the past in the hopes that I would be able to randomly find someone able to commit, and I haven’t been able to finish a single RP because I end up stretching myself out. So this time around I’m going to force myself to only have one or two going at a time.

It's pretty flippin' high. I've come across my fair share of players who just vanish. I used to message people if I hadn't heard from them in a while, but I don't really bother doing that anymore.

I think in 2019, I recieved around 8 or so? I don't go outside of my circle much, but in that line, I haven't gotten a reoccurring partner. I've gotten a couple good games out of them, but more like 3 repeats on one than something from each of them.
I'm just poor at going past more than one game unless I really jive with someone. :p

A part of Roleplaying is waiting for the other person to reply. 3 days is a perfectly acceptable amount of time. People have things to do outside of the website so to say their excuses are lame is a little insensitive.

I'm talking about ending. Not delays in between posts.

In general, if you can’t wait patiently a few days for a reply then you might want to find a hobby in addition to this one to fill your time.

I'll take your advice if and when I ever can't wait a few days for a reply.

I've had partners disappear due to real-life intervention, but in the vast majority of cases they gave me a heads up and explained their circumstances beforehand. The other couple messaged me as soon as they could on their return.

In the five years I've been writing, both here and on Elliquiy, I've been ghosted (which I define as leaving a story without a word while remaining active on the boards) once.

Luck or not?

I don't know, but I put much of it down to investing time into developing a good chemistry and respectful OoC relationship with those I write with, where we trust each other to handle any issues or creative differences like mature adults. And a no stress, no hassle, no expectation posting-rate policy. They're not afraid I'll drop them like a hot potato if I don't respond within the allotted two hours.

If an individual is being constantly ghosted or dropped, I can't help but think there's only common denominator in that scenario and maybe they should look inwards for (at least some of) the reasons why rather than apportion all blame outwards.

Incessantly whining about it in public doesn't help matters either.

Last edited:
My partner quantity tends to be really low. If I make a req thread here I might indulge more than usual, but most of the time, I try to filter who gets in really strongly. It doesn't take care of ghosting (which is a universal problem, I assure you), but it does help somewhat in keeping me invested as well as seeing if they have a chance of surviving longer than usual. Usual being, I'm lucky to get a good distance into the first scene of a supposedly long term roleplay.

Saying something first makes me inclined to indulge you again. Not saying anything means I will remember you. Not with a grudge, just as someone who gets pushed off the shelf, because if you did it once and it wasn't a very plain accident, you're probably going to do it again.

Back
Top Bottom