Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Favorite quotes from Movies/Books

"I am tired of Earth. These people. I am tired of being caught in the tangle of their lives."

- Dr. Manhattan, Watchmen

0384d87e67538144e85bcb0063e9530bd81044df.png

271066259_10158093531645124_5853009343842939326_n.jpg

Dune is filled with memorable quotes.

"Parting with people is a sadness. A place is only a place." - Thufir Hawat, Dune

"Often I must speak other than I think. That is called Diplomacy." - Stilgar, Dune Messiah

"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain." - Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear, Dune

"A popular man arouses the jealousy of the powerful." - Thufir Hawat, Dune

All the following come from Mario Puzo's The Godfather novel:
  • "Never hate your enemies. It affects your judgment."
  • "You cannot say 'No' to the people you love, not often. That's the secret. And then when you do, it has to sound like a 'Yes'. Or you have to make them say 'No'. You have to take time and trouble."
  • "Many young men started down a false path to their true destiny. Time and fortune usually set them aright."
  • "There are things that have to be done and you do them and you never talk about them. You don't try to justify them. They can't be justified. You just do them. Then you forget it."
  • "Great men are not born great; they grow great."
  • "A man who doesn't spend time with his family can never be a real man."
  • "Friendship is more than talent. It is more than government. It is almost the equal of family. Never forget that. If you had built up a wall of friendship you wouldn't have to ask me to help."
  • "In this world there comes a time when the most humble of men, if he keeps his eyes open, can take his revenge on the most powerful."
  • "There are men in this world who go about demanding to be killed. You must have noticed them. They quarrel in gambling games, they jump out of their automobiles in a rage if someone so much as scratches their fender, they humiliate and bully people whose capabilities they do not know. I have seen a man, a fool, deliberately infuriate a group of dangerous men, and he himself without any resources. These are people who wander through the world shouting, 'Kill me, kill me!’ And there is always somebody ready to oblige them."

Pain and rage were fair weapons: but a woman who laughed was a woman who went too far.
N Auerbach, Ellen Terry. New York, 1987. hbk, 234.

It's bad enough having men trying to seduce the cabin boys, so to speak, but when you've got a whole load of women there as well, you just don't need it. - Simon Raven

Re-watching A New Hope today and it has a really funny exchange I never appreciated as a kid.

Leia chides Han for only caring about money; Luke enters just as she leaves, and he then looks at Han so mischievously--if you blink you'll miss it--that I'm already laughing before this exchange even comes.

Luke: "So... what do you think of her, Han?"
Han: "I'm trying not to, kid."
Luke: "Good."

And the way Han looks at Luke after that is just golden. He knows Luke's thirsty for her too and he's just messing with him from that point on. What a great flick.

ab67616d0000b2738924b20a72d463db25ebe9e7.jpeg

'Blade Runner' (1982)

«I've seen things you people wouldn't believe,
attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion,
I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time,
like tears in rain.

Time to die.»

Do not think that just because you are my lady wife, somehow I cannot have you kneel for me anymore.
The Director must die

“People notice only what you tell them to notice. And then only if you remind them.”-The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay by Michael Chabon

"If the only thing keepin' a person decent is the promise of divine reward, then, brother, that person is a piece of shit."

- Detective Rust Cohle

"I don't want to live on this planet anymore." -Professor Farnsworth (Futurama)

"We're a little team. Me as the teacher who can still do it, you as the student who can do it, just not as good. I'm proud of us!" Peter B. Parker - Into the Spiderverse

Nothing But The Truth

Albert Burnside: "This is a big, big mistake, Patton."
Patton Dubois: "Well there's nothing like learning from our mistakes."
Albert Burnside: "Well, sometimes a mistake is like wearing white after labor day, and sometimes a mistake is invading Russia in winter."

The Wolf of Wall Street

1. Jordan Belfort: "Sell me this pen."

2. Jordan Belfort: "Let me give you a little legal advice: Shut the Fuck Up!"

3. Jordan Belfort: "The only thing standing between you and your goal is the bullshit story you keep telling yourself as to why you can't achieve it."

4. Jordan Belfort: "You can watch me, mock me, try to block me but you can't stop me."

5. Naomi Lapaglia: "From now on, it's going to be nothing but short, short skirts around the house."

6. Naomi Lapaglia: "We're not gonna be friends."

It seemed as if no one else but god had been witness to that outburst of lustful anger, of passionate vengeance, of loving hate. The trembling Cortés felt in the center of his pupils made him cast his look away from Malinalli's infinite black eyes, which in the same moment reflected sorrow, love, and a certain yearning for vengeance.
Cortés understood that Malinalli was his true conquest, that there, in the depths of her black eyes, were the gems he had been searching for all this time.

How we deal with death is at least as important as how we deal with life, wouldn't you say? - Admiral James T Kirk, Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan

I really enjoy R.A. Salvatore books, mainly about my favorite fictional dark elf, Drizzt Do'Urden. One of my favorite lines he says has always been, "How do you measure a century when a single hour seems a day and a single day seems a year?"

"It's a luxury to stand on the moral high ground and critic those of us on the low ground. A lot of people do exactly that...until they need my help." - The Blacklist

"When the moment of live ammunition approaches, the moment to which all his professional training has been directed, when the lives of men under him, the issue of the combat, even the fate of a campaign may depend upon his decision at a given moment, what happens inside the heart and vitals of a commander? Some are made bold by the moment, some irresolute, some carefully judicious, some paralyzed and powerless to act."
- Barbara Tuchman, The Guns Of August

"A real diamond is never perfect."
- Anthony Doerr, All The Light We Cannot See

Back
Top Bottom