Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Why do you roleplay?

This. I agree with everything in this...except one thing. I have been rping for over 10 years and have learned to not fixate or take things so seriously. I love the stories I am in and while I write, I pour passion and creativity into it as if this is THE project of a lifetime. But after so long in this game, it is more detrimental to my enjoyment to get too emotionally wrapped up or focussed on a particular partner or story.

Stories die, people get bored, grow apart, etc. The joy in this hobby is to have fun while you can but when it ends, look forward to "the next thing." Then again, I don't wait very long for replies. I don't like to reread the rp too much because the repetition weighs everything else down. So, the more times that I have to go back and reread full posts just to remember what happened? Nope. I cut those rps off.

I also no longer put power into other people's hands as far as dictating what I am willing to tolerate. If they're consistently taking longer than between 12 hours-once a week to post, that's simply not fast enough for me. So, I don't sit there and agonize over whether or not they're enjoying themselves when it has taken a month to hear from them. I call it dead after two weeks(whether they say they're planning to post "soon" or not) and move on. I'm here to write, not sit and wait.
I also agree with you, but I really can't expect suitable partners to be as available as I am. It's a consistent pattern I've noticed-- the players I actually enjoy playing with are "normal" people with social lives constantly dragging them away from RP. This is everyone's lowest priority because it's impossible to explain to anyone without looking like some enormous weirdo.

I'm here to practice RPing so I can RP better during my DnD games (〜 ̄ △ ̄)〜, and maybe become a little less awkward irl.

My work life has me up at odd hours. I'm getting off at around 2AM, and even in a city, that means most places are closed and there's not much to do. So my options are usually social media things or videogames.

I was raped when I was young by my female tutor who also planned on kidnapping me and selling me to one of her friends. A year or two later when I realized that I enjoy the thoughts of being kidnapped and raped, I was told by someone to try out roleplays and I found this place.

A way to get disattached from the real world and live in your own~
But without getting lost in it or dragging others with you. Basically to feel free, without all the chains of society, rules, family and relations up your neck.

For me, roleplaying allows me an escape from reality where I can be anyone and anything that I want to be anywhere that I want to be it. It gives me a measure of control over the world that I don't have in reality. And it also allows me to play out all of my wonderful fantasies.

I enjoy the creative outlet and I enjoy some of the sexual fantasies as well. On top of that I've run across some cool people that I chat with OOC and that is fun as well.

I enjoy writing and creating stories. That said given the amount of false starts and dropped RP's I do wonder if I should just get my shit together and write a novel!

It also provides me with some social aspect as I am very introverted and happily without any friends in real life. I like being able to discuss ideas and RP in general.

Last edited:
I could say it’s to write, and that’s be a lie. Honestly I think RP drains my drive to create out of my system. It’s easier to RP than to write; the reaction is faster, it’s engagement rather than singular.

It’s my sex life. But cyber isn’t appealing to me because I both want good detail and a lot of my kinks are contextual (semi-public, who the characters are to one another, etc).

I feel that things with my wife are really good right now. I have a stressful job as a teacher, and am also in the National Guard...so my life is very busy. I guess that I roleplay for the fantasy aspect that it allows me to bring and explore. I am, obviously, a latex fetishist. My wife doesn't reciprocate that interest, but allows me to wear latex at home. I love the interpersonal aspect of sharing my kink with others and being able to play out all of my fantasies in a safe environment. I have met some great people on here and love to exercise my creative processes with other talented writers. I have taken a lot of advice on my writing and been suitable inspired to continue which makes up most of the reason I am on here!

I got back into RP after a long absence because of my current job/life situation. I got kind of tricked into a horribly boring job in a foreign country. Socializing with my colleagues is difficult, and the loneliness makes the boredom worse. I need a hobby I can do at work (other than apply to other jobs), and anything with graphics is a no-go as I'm stuck in an open office. I was writing interactive fiction, but that also felt lonely as so few would read it. So, another artist friend lured me back into RP, and here I am.

I do absolutely use RP as escapism. More-so now than when I was younger and had a TT group. That was definitely a good quality, fun social activity in addition to the escapism. But, now.. yeah. It's pretty much just "I can co-direct a fun movie in my mind about someone else once I get settled at my desk".

Usually you get bored of other forms of entertainment and media. So it reaches a point where you want to create your own universes and share them with friends or a trusted partner.

I enjoy writing and creating stories. That said given the amount of false starts and dropped RP's I do wonder if I should just get my shit together and write a novel!
If you have the drive and want certain progression, this is probably the best way to go.

For me, I deeply desire the latter, but completely lack the former. Roleplay is the only creative writing medium where my thoughts actually go places, and my ability to actually write bounces widely. In roleplay it's an irritating stream of delays for partners. For writing other things it's absolutely crippling beyond quick, ill fated spurts. So basically, I roleplay because I have the imagination to go pretty far, but depend on the drive of a partner to actually do anything with it.

If you have the drive and want certain progression, this is probably the best way to go.

For me, I deeply desire the latter, but completely lack the former. Roleplay is the only creative writing medium where my thoughts actually go places, and my ability to actually write bounces widely. In roleplay it's an irritating stream of delays for partners. For writing other things it's absolutely crippling beyond quick, ill fated spurts. So basically, I roleplay because I have the imagination to go pretty far, but depend on the drive of a partner to actually do anything with it.

When it all goes well and there is that "special spark" between myself and a partner it's great. I like that we are on the same page and also that they bring aspects and viewpoints to the story that I would never have thought of. But it's hard to find that of course.

The delays can suck, a couple of days I can deal with but when they constantly take a week or more and the RP/partnership is still fresh than that can throw my faith as well as immersion.

I just need more than smut even if the RP idea is erotic. Something which is hard to find as a lot of people like to rush straight to that. I don't feel I need to write a smut fest, I can play that out in my head.

For me it’s a creative outlet for my over active imagination, way to escape from reality. Plus I absolutely love writing, always have even before I knew what role playing was.

• I enjoy writing
  • It gives me a tangible and completable goal which I can feel good about finishing
  • It makes me a better writer
  • I enjoy being titilated
  • I meet cool people

I am an amateur writer and love creating stories. I have always done it for myself, never showing what I have created to anyone.
One of my friends mentioned roleplaying communities, so it occurred to me this would be a fun way to co-create and also share.

I like roleplaying because I feel like it lends a sense of stability to my life. I can control it, its very structured. A break from the everyday chaos is welcome. In addition to that relief, another reason I like to text roleplay is because its so incredibly flexible. Literally only limited by your imagination and how much you want to type.

When I write with others it is usually out of boredom. By myself, I simply like to write.

I guess because it's a creative outlet, that also allows me to experience some specific fantasies.

I think it's because I was dropped on my head as a kid. But that's probably been the reason behind a lot of the things I've done and still do, so it's hard to tell.

Back
Top Bottom