Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Why do you roleplay?

The basic answer for almost everyone will surely be ‘I have fantasies that I cannot enact in real life’ or ‘I enjoy writing and I enjoy naughty stuff’.

But I mean, why do you really do it?

I’m a married man with two young children. My wife has suffered from depression (as have I) which puts more strain on us and I have a job that I find unfulfilling, but I can’t give it up.

For me roleplaying is the escape that gives me something that makes me feel good about myself. Perhaps I’m living vicariously through my characters or perhaps creating something with someone else gives me a buzz. But regardless it makes me feel like there’s something that I do for me

I think, me personally, is to experience what my characters feel- much like how you live vicariously through your characters.
The experiences I put my characters through are often things, while either to dangerous, unrealistic or I'm too bashful because I've got 0 game in real life, I can put myself in their shows and feel what they are feeling.

I guess, in short, experiencing emotions that technically aren't mine but are.

God, I hope that makes sense xD

Miss Tina says roleplaying is theraputic, especially after my miscarriage. Even before that though, well, let;s just say we're.....uh, creative......she is always reading my posts and those of my partners and they've given her some.....uh,....ideas

You said it all.

To keep myself writing (esp in English), to get creative, to find ideas, but also sometimes not to think about sucky-stuff

I roleplay to keep my writing skills fresh between non-RP stories I write occasionally. I also enjoy the interaction with people, both OOC and as co-writers, and find that writing with another person helps bring a different perspective to writing styles.

I roleplay because little compares to a wonderful story crafted by two imaginations. I like the creative back-forth, seeing the world we've made through my partner's eyes as well as mine, getting to unravel their character(s) through plot arcs, relations, and the like. It itches my brain in a way I've yet to find anywhere else. I also RP because it helps hone my own writing and expands my vocabulary. I just love it all around. :heart:

In short, to practice writing. They way I figure it, the more I get used to this, the better of a writer I will be, and will benefit me in the event I decide to take the plunge, and attempt to write professionally.
Also because I am a horny bastard. Writing erotic stories is great fun, and satisfying in this regard.

There is also the aspect that it makes me think. Roleplaying as a whole is an exercise in improvisational acting, critical thinking, and adaptive problem solving.
My imagination often runs wild with the words, It is a way to escape the tyranny and limits that real life places upon us.
For just a little while, I get to be someone else, and experience what they experience, in a safe and controlled manner.

It started off as a way to escape reality, but I also like the collaborative storytelling that is roleplaying. It's fun.

It's an outlet- a way to escape everyday life, and get my creative side working. The fact you're reacting and working off someone else is even better, since I find it takes me places I would have never reach on my own.

It's fun and it's a creative outlet for me. Though I don't do it much anymore....

Some think that RP is a guilty pleasure. But there is really nothing to feel guilty about. Just like the children who play to learn, adults roleplay can be awesome learning experience about each other, as well as deeply healing one. And it even can create the relationship with someone new or strengthen the individual who like to RP. It’s a very powerful way to express yourself and it is about what YOU really want. It is a creative process and creativity requires courage. Doing RP does not mean that your real life you’re unhappy or your sex life is boring. You can be perfectly happy and still be adventurous. Roleplay gives you a chance to turn familiar into something new. It is sometimes like going down the rabbit hole, and you are nervious and have no confidence in your abilities to carry thru, but at the end it is all worth it.
[IMG='width:73px;']http://www.stewardshipadvocates.org/wp-content/uploads/role-play.jpg[/IMG]

I guess its a relaxation. A way to get away from normal life and have another creative process. I do reread my RPs as they are not just something to jack off to but it can be meaningful stories that excite people. if it's NSFW then it has. Sometimes some people think Roleplay is all about getting off which I think isn't all that. Its a way of writing too. Just with 2 or more people.

It lets me get my ideas out in the open. Even if no one bites at an idea, I still got it in writing and I can revisit and revamp it later.

There are so many reasons. But it is also a community that I think is growing very rapidly. When I first started Role playing as I knew it, it was a first person written scene between two or more characters. I enjoyed this as a young teen as it was an escape, it was a place where I could story tell and read. I could be someone I was not and be caught up in the worlds that I could bring to life for not just me but others too.

But as I got older this changed. It grew for me and I think I branched out in another direction and it went from becoming a scene to entire words and stories that I explore in depth. I write things from more maturer and broader perspectives. Role playing for me now is something that makes me happy, its something that I would struggle to live without because writing a story on your own is amazing but also writing something with someone else is just as good because its not all you. You do not know what your partner will write, so although you are venturing a tale you are also letting someone else take you away...

I role play because it betters my writing and makes me happy.

Because meeting up with hunky anthros and demons and etc is so difficult with my busy lifestyle...

On an emotional level, It’s an escape, and a safe way to indulge in that natural drive for something you might not be able to have anywhere else, whether it’s taboo, or just something outside your norm or even just sensations you’ve been lacking.

Besides that, it’s fun! It’s a great way to shore up your writing skill, expose yourself to ideas, and communities, artists, music, media, I have expanded my tastes in dozens of aspects because of things I encountered through RP.

I RP because it makes me happy, makes me feel accepted for my weirder tastes, and gives me something to apply myself to and grow because of, and I think that’s more than enough to keep a hobby.

It's a way to indulge in the darker and depraved side of human sexuality through a safe and consensual environment. And creative exploration shouldn't be limited to what is typically perceived as normalised and acceptable social ideas. We have imaginations. So let's make good use of it. And if you can distill a sense of pleasure and accomplishment out of it, then why not?

I've always enjoyed writing, I like the escape of exploring situations that I would not be willing or able to put myself in. I enjoy exploring characters thoughts and emotions as they explore the situations I place them in. My interests vary a great deal so in some cases like for example Time Travel it is simply not possible to explore that for real. Then you have other situations like a bank robbery which are illegal and I do not wish to place myself in.

So creativity and escape would be my main motivations as well as having some element of social contact albeit online with someone I will most likely never meet.

To meet new people, to entertain myself and my partner, to escape reality, to be "somebody else" and to kill spare time in RL

It is my perfect world, where only bad thinks happening because I want to. It is other choice how to relax

I have a good life and a social life, but nothing beats a good story. Collaborative writing and living out a fantasy online is a wonderful escape.

I am a very antisocial person. In fact, you could call me voluntarily celibate. I still have an active sex drive and an overactive imagination. I love writing, but because of my ADHD I find it impossible to finish stories on my own without feedback. Role-playing gives you immediate feedback, and some genuine friendships can form from it. Unfortunately I haven't found much satisfaction from the hobby lately, as players are flakey and flighty these days. For a person that has no obligations outside of work, it can be painful to wait several days for a partner's return. So I find myself asking the same question: "why am I still role playing?" The time and effort I put into it isn't paying off these days. So much feels like a total waste for a lot of nothing.

Like others RP is primarily a means of escapism. I can pretend to be a person who has none of my flaws, and gets to do things I can only dream of, (like making a woman happy). There are scenarios, sexual feats, and idealistic bodies that only exist in fiction, and the more I dive into fantasy the less interested I am in reality. People are ugly, mean, and stupid in the real world.

Back
Top Bottom