Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

(Earthdawn: The Veil of Prometheus) Ch. 1: Lessons on the Serpent River

THErolplayer

Up for anything
Joined
May 4, 2019
Messages
48
#26
He would take a seat on the king boat and gesture for her to come to him. "I hear do it easy quite a bumpy ride, you would be much safer here on my lap wouldn't you." He would smirk slightly his horse neighing slightly understanding what she had said about him bieng superior to the polar bear.
 

Tenshi

Supernova
Joined
Jan 30, 2010
Messages
1,966
Location
In the Moonwood, chasing unicorns.
#27


Yalathael rolled her eyes. When they had their instructions, she gave Yrineda a whisper, "Wow. Does Oliver even think that's a line? she shook her head and giggled. "I've been hit on better by 11 year olds." She blinked, then rolled her eyes again, and whispered, "And does he even realize he just insulted Meridian? That's going to be a fun drubbing to watch!"

The blue eyed elf girl went to work helping load the boats. Then, at the tsrkang mentor's instruction, she helped lower the boats into the river and guide them towards a dock in the hills at the near shore.
 

Tenshi

Supernova
Joined
Jan 30, 2010
Messages
1,966
Location
In the Moonwood, chasing unicorns.
#28
Harl gave Luelalin an approving nod. Once they were in the water, he addressed his response to her, but pitched it so that everyone could hear easily, even in the next boat. "We have a hunt," he explained. "Shepards and their flocks have been attacked in these hills. I'll guide you to the scene, and see what you can figure out from there. At that point, you're on your own. Eesheeoka and i are observers."
 
Joined
May 5, 2019
Messages
29
#29
Kara chuckled. "I think I will stay on this side of the boat for now. I don't want to fall in." She then heard the next instruction. "Awsome a hunt. I love hunts."
 
Joined
Jun 5, 2017
Messages
176
#30
Meridian gave a chirp as her boat hit the water and soon a massive splash erupted next to their river ship. The bear had joined them and was making good time to the shore near the dock. A hunt, hmmm. What were they hunting? She needed information, a group this size? Did they expect us to rout a pack of wolves, or were they raiders. The thought raced through her head, a horror? Truly not, even a group this size could be devastated by a horror. "Paws! Shake off and close ranks. We got a job." She settled her booted foot on the pack at her feet, one containing an odd saddle and harness. one fit for a bear.
 
Joined
Sep 13, 2018
Messages
154
#31
Dwayne looked at the longboats and realized that he might very well sink one if he stepped on it. Realizing this, he went for the boat that seemed to have the least mass on it, hoping that the creaking boards wouldn't break under him. He never did learn how to swim. Dagnus followed after him onto the boat. Dwayne, being a big guy, took up more than one seat on the boat, and placed Dagnus onto his lap when she caught up with him.

"So, do we know what's attacking them, or are we still uncertain?" Dagnus asked, trying to get comfortable in Dwayne's lap.

"Clearly it's rival shepherds," Dwayne stated with an air of confidence.

"Are these shepherds lycanthropes too?" Dagnus asked in a snarky tone.

"What? Of course not. Who's ever heard of a werewolf shepherd?" Dwayne asked, dumbfounded at the question. Dagnus put her face in her palms after hearing this response.
 

THErolplayer

Up for anything
Joined
May 4, 2019
Messages
48
#32
Oliver would laugh again this time loudly "ehh worth a try." His hands where resting at his sides when he heared about the mission. "Hunts can be fun, especially boars, they go down with a nice well pleased spear strike" he said starting to ramble on a bit caught up in his last experiences.
 
Joined
Jun 23, 2018
Messages
69
#33
"This is a test, not just a bit of fun," Lotar pointed out warningly, his deep voice rolling across the water. The troll sat to the back of his boat, with his arms folded in front of his body. He'd been taking a moment to simply enjoy the rocking of the river, his eyes closed and his head tilted back, but as he spoke up he opened them, leaned forward, and looked over towards Oliver. "I wouldn't count on today's hunt going so simply. There would be no challenge. Make sure you're focused, Cavalryman."

Despite his warning, the troll wasn't really concerned by what they might be up against. Whatever it was, he looked forward to it. How better to see if he'd grown stronger?
 

EmyStorm

Super-Earth
Joined
Dec 15, 2015
Messages
175
Location
Quebec
#34
Yrineda smile to her and giggles a bit at her comments. Its true that Oliver pick up lines were lame but he was human after all. Hé was lacking the grace of the elves.

She look at Yalathael and smile "Give him a chance the poor Guy practicing His skills and he need a lot of practice." She started to laugh.

When the teacher told about the hunt, she frown, she wasnt a hunter. "I'll do my best, but i am no hunter."
 
Joined
Jun 21, 2015
Messages
866
#35
Luelalin nodded along with Yrineda. "Yeah, I'm not much of a hunter, I'm a peoples person. Right, Yala?" The elf asked putting her head on her shoulder and looking down her shirt.
 

Tenshi

Supernova
Joined
Jan 30, 2010
Messages
1,966
Location
In the Moonwood, chasing unicorns.
#36


Yalathael grinned as she guided Yrineda and Luelalin to set together. she gave each of her dear friends a playful nip on the nose. "We'll all be fine, you know, Lu Lu. My steel and your spells? Why we three alone can take any number of werewolves. I think everyone else here is really strong too. I mean, even Oliver is balancing on his horse in a moving longboat!"

She grinned and moved tot he front too help guide the longboat to the near shore in keeping with Harl's instructions. Several of them were handed ores and instructed to simply provide forward momentum while the tskrang and those with at least a little boating expericne guided things.

Just before they reached a little cover in the hills to dock, Eesheeoka's boat struck something in the shallows that jostled her. (Did Eeshee do it on purpose? It was hard to say, but she was the only skilled boat pilot on her entire ship. The fact that she'd gotten them there at all on the strong currents of the massive serpent river was saying something.) Most of them just swayed, but Oliver's horse was badly jostled.

Oliver. Roll trick riding to not get tossed from your horse and into the drink. Use the dice roller in Discord. If you beat difficultly 5, you win every member of the part 25 legend points.
 
Joined
May 5, 2019
Messages
29
#37
Kara got jerked around as they hit something under the boats. She quickly looked around to see if anyone had fallen into the water. No one had. Surprised and releaved at the same time she smiles. she knew that trying to pull someone out of the river would be a trick with this current.
 
Joined
Jun 5, 2017
Messages
176
#38
As the boats rocked forward, Meridian pushed her oar well, though she was watching the boats as they went. She wasn't truly familiar with the waters, but knew that rivers could be dangerous. As the thump of submerged flotsom hit the neighboring boat, Meridian whistled, and pointed downstream high over head. Paws, took the hint, moving downstream of all of the vessels. Intercept position, the bear could cut through the waters easier than she could, and he had been her rock through many streams behind them.
 

THErolplayer

Up for anything
Joined
May 4, 2019
Messages
48
#39
Oliver would grab tight onto his spear that was secured on the horse and pull himself back onto it. He would wink in the direction of the group dune to his nature as a show of and run the horses head before securing himself onto it by graving tight onto the reigns

Trick riding: 15
 

Tenshi

Supernova
Joined
Jan 30, 2010
Messages
1,966
Location
In the Moonwood, chasing unicorns.
#40
The long boats pulled up onto the sandy cover. They tied them up and gathered their gear.

The two tskrang lead them throuhg the hills for about a half hour. They followed Shepard paths, and eventually got to a little valley in the hills. Up ahead they could see a scattering of sheep corpses lying around, and three humans as well. All of them--even from this distance--had the same apartment cause of death--their heads were a bloody mess.

"The men from the town brought the surviving flocks in," Harl explained, "But all three shepherds were killed. I told them to hold off on the funeral party 'til we could investigate. Go have a look and tell me what you can figure out."
 
Joined
Jun 5, 2017
Messages
176
#41
Paws climbed out of the water downstream from the docks and shook off, then bounded over to the diminutive girl with the dragonfly. Just as he got to her, he shook off again, she laughed and tried in vain to protect herself from the impromptu shower. Dragging the pack with his harness and saddle she begins to settle it in place. shaking water off herself as she murmurs to the bear. She stays out of the saddle as they trek forth, no need to outrun anyone, and the trek was beautiful, until it wasn't.

With instruction to look around, first she decides to carefully approach the bodies, watching that she not step on any tracks. With a wave to Paws to hold back she approaches. The heads were indeed a mess. Meridian chose to review the bodies as animal carcasses, for her stomach was not doing well seeing them as humans. She also checked beside each body for the story of the scene.

Horror Lore on the wounds
1d12+0
9+0 = 9

Wilderness Survival for the analysis of the scene.
1d12+0
7+0 = 7
 
Joined
May 5, 2019
Messages
29
#42
Kara walked along Quietly as she admired the view. she could fell the scene was approaching as the song birds had stopped only to be replace by the mockery of crows. the happy pastures turned into a mournful field. Kara carefully looked over the area also careful not to disturb the track or evidence that might be there. The Smell was aweful. the bodies had been rotting in the sunlight as flies and other bugs were starting to feast. She tried to hold her breath but that only made her take a larger breath afterward. She would then check for track and anything relating to wild animals she was familiar with. taking a closer look at the faces of the creatures trying to tell it it was weapon, claw or teeth that make such terrible mess.


roll d12=4 on tracking

rolls d12 = 6 on Wild Animal Knowledge
 
Last edited:

THErolplayer

Up for anything
Joined
May 4, 2019
Messages
48
#43
Oliver would just move around the area with a Trot knowing full well he has no skills that can benefit them, it was a great mess after all, dead creatures everywhere, all the blood and gore was starting to scare his horse slightly.
 
Joined
Jun 23, 2018
Messages
69
#44
"Well, whatever did this wasn't hungry," Lotar rumbled, thinking out loud. He wasn't skilled in reading the clues of nature like some of his companions, but the fact so many bodies seemed to make that obvious. "Or it killed more than it could eat. Wasteful." The troll frowned. "What manner of beast goes only for the head?"

The troll followed gingerly after Meridian, trusting the beastmaster to know where would not ruin the tracks and stepping only where she stepped. When he reached the shepherds' bodies, he crouched down beside them and cast a sharp eye back and forth, less obviously repulsed by the carnage than some of his smaller companions. The wounds didn't tell him anything, but it couldn't hurt to have another set of eyes looking for anything unusual. He mostly wanted to see if there were any obvious signs they'd managed to fight back; weapons in their hands, or on the ground nearby.

"Did the townsmen see or hear anything?" He asked their teachers, without looking up.

No skills or relevant knowledges. Just looking for anything that's in plain sight.
 
Joined
Sep 13, 2018
Messages
154
#45
Dwayne walked over to the bodies, Dagnus following behind at a short distance, mace drawn. Neither seemed to be in their normally jokey moods.

He wordlessly looked over the bodies to try and find any signs that a beast of some kind could or couldn't have done this. "It doesn't make sense. An animal would never go for just the head, intestines have more of the untrients that they'd be looking for. It's either humans or horrors in my opinion."
1d10 = (7) = 7

"Aye Dwayne. My moneys on some kind of bandits or barbarians. But, I wouldn't take Horrors off the list that could have done this," Dagnus said, her accent getting just a little bit thicker when she says this, while looking at the bodies with Dwayne to see if there are any signs horrors caused this.
1d12 = (12) = 12
 
Joined
Jan 30, 2010
Messages
1,966
Location
In the Moonwood, chasing unicorns.
#47
To those inspecting the corpses, it did seem something had been eaten. The skulls had been cracked open, and the brains devoured!

Several of those learned in the Horrors could call to mind a specific horror that stung victims in the back of the head to implant an egg in the brain of the victim. The larva would slowly devour the brain of it's victim, then erupt from the skull in the form of a nightmarish creature!

Blessedly, this did not seem to be what they faced. First of all, that was said to be a specific horror. Several of them knew it's name, but such things were best not spoken casually--Even when the horror had been slain by heroes 70 years ago!

Even if reports of that horrors demise were exaggerated, well, these skulls had been caved in from the outside--almost as if by an ax. The brains had then been scraped out and devoured...

Kara realized what they faced.
 
Joined
May 5, 2019
Messages
29
#48
Kara looks at the rest of the group. "I know what killed the shepherds and sheep. The way the heads are broken open and the brains eaten. the tracks on the ground although I can't tell where they went or came from. we are dealing with Crakbills it is a 75 pound bird that can't fly. it is nearly ten foot tall if you count its neck and head. It comes down with a massive bill breaking open dead animals or killing live ones. " she then looked over the bodies. "I remember that it is better to attack these guys at a distance... but I don't remember why."
 
Joined
Jun 5, 2017
Messages
176
#49
"We need nets, bait, and guarded camouflage it sounds like." If the birds are carrion eaters, we can slaughter a half dozen sheep and let the scent draw them in, after that we lay in wait to net them, this will hamper their effectiveness while we pepper them with spear, javelin and arrow while the mounted harrass and corral them also with spear or lance. What have we, to help facilitate this plan?" She looks to the others to see if there are any takers for the easy way out. She doubts they are this prepared, but there is no shame in seeking.
 
Joined
May 4, 2019
Messages
48
#50
"I don't mind, anything that will quench this boredom" he would turn to Kara. "How much can we sell the meat for?" He was always somewhat concerned with money, after all it was how he accessed his pleasures.

Oliver would then undo the straps around his spear and place it in his hand ready To hunt those bastards.
 
Top Bottom