Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

No Salvation For Witches (LotFP - OOC)

ZincStandard

Super-Earth

Hi everybody! Here's our OOC thread for No Salvation For Witches. I suspect we'll want to keep our rules discussion to the rules thread as much as possible to avoid cluttering up this one, but anything else you care to discuss, this is the place.

Last edited:
North, ZRS: Hey! So FWIW, here's an idea on how all our character's might know each other:

Elena and Jack's father's were close geographically if not socially - Elena's dad was a wealthy noble, Jack's an impoverished one. They both backed the expedition to the New World that Silence was on - when that expedition failed it bankrupted Jack's dad, but was only a minor inconvenience to Elena's family. Silence approached Elena's father for help after her return to England as an orphan, but he wouldn't even meet with her. Elena however, being the person she is, decided to partner up with Silence to seek their fortunes together. At about this time Jack returned from the Continent to discover his family had sunk even lower financially. Since Jack was back "in the Shire" so to speak, Elena approached him and asked if he'd like to team up with her and Silence - remembering the unconventional, free spirited girl who used to prowl the woods with her bow, Jack said sure.

Not exactly Game of Thrones, but I think something along these lines beats the usual "you all bump into each other at a tavern one night."

There's some good ideas there Grey!

I like the link where perhaps Jacks's father backed the venture that Silence's family was apart of and so when it failed his family went bankrupt.

I dont think though that Silence would know who the financiers were having been a child then and fortune would never be her motivation, I kind of picture Silence as someone the party took in off the streets and allowed to tag along as a teen maybe out of pity at first until she grew up and into a full fledged party member over the years.

A good question for Zinc would be, how many persons are in our band? Is it just the player characters or are there any NPCs we should know about? :)

The group is just you guys for now, though you're welcome to try and pick up hirelings if you like.

North: Glad you think the idea has some merit. Probably not a big deal for roleplaying purposes, but fleshing out stuff like how everyone knows each other can't hurt. As an alternative which might be more in keeping with your character concept, perhaps Elena learned of Silence's return to England (via her father,) and sought Silence out - maybe out of pity at first, or perhaps because of some sense of responsibility on Elena's part for her father's failed venture. Of course it's up to ZRS as to whether that fits into Elena's character concept, but I think it could given Elena's backstory.

Sorry about the wait on the IC, folks. My schedule has been shifting around the past couple days, and the intro to this adventure might be...a little complicated to write. I'll do my best to have it up tonight.

I did some digging around about LotFP while things were on hold - sounds like this is a truly bizarre variant of old school D&D. So not just incredibly lethal (compared to say Fifth Edition,) but also wildly NSFW. (One guy told me the best way to "appreciate" LotFP was to check out some of the Cannibal Corpse album covers - which I did. I'm not sure if there's enough brain bleach in the world to get some of those images out of my mind.) So yeah, I can only imagine how tough the adventure intro is going to be to write.

Ok, so I only just realized I gave one of the NPCs the same name as a PC without thinking about it. However, since it's probably the single most common men's name in England, I don't think it's too unusual. Still, that definitely wasn't on purpose :LOL:

Hey, sorry for being quiet. I forgot I wasn't subscribed to this one and this is the first time I'm checking out the OOC thread. Will be more active here from now on.

About grey's idea on how our characters know each other, I like it and it fits what Elena would do. Not sure if Elena's dad would tell her about Silence but if he does, she would probably seek her out if she's nearby. I like to think that since Jack was already a sort of mercenary, Elena would approach him after the failed expedition and ask to join his team. Maybe in the next town the duo traveled to, they would meet Silence. Upon realizing Silence lost her family in the failed expedition her dad funded, she gets wracked with guilt and takes Silence in.

I like the part about Jack's dad and Elena's dad both being business partners in the expedition. I was looking for a reason for Elena to be depressed and suicidal inside. The guilt from the knowledge that so many people died in an expedition her family funded could be it. Maybe she considers herself partly responsible for Silence and countless others like her losing their family as well as Jack's family going bankrupt.

Since I see North hasn't been online in a few days, I assume she's busy with real life stuff, so I won't set a time limit for now. North, no rush if you're occupied. For future reference, I'll typically give a day or so's warning after someone's been quiet for a bit, then move on with the game and let them catch up when they're able.

Zinc: At this point I have to assume we won't be hearing from North. If you'd like to continue I'd be willing to as well, provided that ZRS is too - in that case it's of course up to you to decide on what happens to Silence, but I can think of a few ways to handle that. (i.e. turn her into an NPC, or have her vanish overnight - perhaps she was kidnapped, perhaps she ran away etc.) On the other hand, if you'd like to put this project on hold (while you try to recruit more players or whatever) I would certainly understand that as well.

FWIW this system seems fine to me and the limited amount of content rolled out so far has been interesting. That said I also think the pace has been slow, even for an older gamer like me, which of course makes it tough to build excitement and momentum. (Especially among younger gamers, who tend to be used to the immediate feedback of Discord or whatever.) Thanks - GB

Yeah, I'm willing to continue. Though in all honesty, I think if we do move on without North, it would be best to turn Silence into an NPC because it would make it easy for North to return and I don't think two fighters are going to get very far alone.

My only experience with old school games like this have been through video games based on it and those are difficult enough with a full party of optimally picked characters. I'd say having two fighters would mean we need to resort to cheesing the crappy AI to survive but I think that's only possible in video games.

Hey folks! Sorry for the delay, finals have been wrecking my ass the past couple days. I will indeed be continuing the game in just a moment; my policy regarding dropped players will be to have their character quietly follow along as an NPC for a while, in case they want to rejoin, but after a grace period I reserve the right to have said character leave or die as the scene necessitates. In any case, I'll see about recruiting another player; I'd rather not run a game like this for just two people.

Back
Top Bottom