Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Astral Academy (Wiki and Haku)

haku_81

Supernova
On the first of November, in the year 1284, Astral Academy, the premier school for any Astrai that desires to learn the real limits of Astral energy, was once more taking in new applicants. Every year thousands upon thousands of people applied for entry. However only hundreds will manage to make the cut. Astral Academy's requirements are strict and work very well to cull the numbers. Entering this school to master Astral energy manipulation requires you already have a powerful grasp on it. This is not a school for the novices and wide eyed aspiring adventurers. This school is for future legends and masters in the making.

The application process is lengthy and quite grueling, lasting the entire month of November. First, applicants must send in the paper form, a staggering 100 pages that defeat many weak willed contenders alone. Adding in you only have until the 3rd of November to send it in, and you've got an effective method to weed out anyone not fully committed. Assuming the application is accepted, you'll next need to travel to the nearest testing site to you. There are several dozen on the continent of Astra, however they are all in remote locations, away from any cities or heavily populated areas. Regardless of where you live, it will be a long trip simply for the chance to be accepted, to the list of students they are considering to accept into the school.

After arriving at the testing site on the 7th of November at the absolute latest, each applicant will be given a 500 question test to complete. They will have 5 hours to finish and it will be graded on site. Any applicant that answers more than 50 questions wrong will be disqualified on the spot. All passing applicants will then be privately tested on their unique abilities with Astral. For the most part a generalized test for each class suffices, however individual abilities are taken into account and special tests may be issued on that basis. It is at this stage that Rak'Shan who manage to get past the previous hurdles are subjected to the challenges that attempt to provoke them into a rage. Should they fail and enter a blood rage, a highly skilled Astrai will attempt to restrain them. 7 times out of 10, this is impossible and the Rak'Shan are simply executed on the spot, their remains sent back to wherever they originated, or wherever the Rak'Shan requested in their original forms.

After passing the Astral test for other students and the rage test for Rak'Shan, one final test is issued. Each student must leave the testing site and will search the surrounding 500 Km area for an item, usually some sort of fancy egg or small statue depending on the particular testing site, and then return it in tact. The areas they are searching are difficult to maneuver and hazardous as well. It is not uncommon for people to die at this stage. In addition to the natural dangers, each applicant is in competition with one another, and nonlethal combat is permitted, as is trickery and other such things, so long as you retrieve an item. The applicants that complete this final challenge, are welcomed into Astral Academy.

The application process in its entirety is usually completed by the end of the month. Testing so many applicants individually consumes most of the time, hence the strict requirements for arrival initially. The month of December is given to the passing applicants to settle whatever they must before leaving their homes.

Today, is the first of January, year 1285. New students to Astral Academy arrive on the docks and begin to make their way towards the main school building. To reach it, you would need to travel up the hill, through a forest and into the center of a small collection of mountains. The weather could freeze most to the bone, as Astral Academy begin their years at the coldest part of winter. Anyone who couldn't handle a little snow wouldn't last here. Luckily students being turned away by the weather was very rare.

In the sea of students making their way towards the main building, there was a very large number of Reizaan and Humans. There were also a few dozen elves, however there didn't seem to be any Zeiloustrians. Granted given their shorter stature, one could be mere feet away at any given moment. Upon arriving at the grand courtyard, which was quite large to accommodate so many students, they began to relax a little. There was still plenty of time before the opening ceremony, so students decided to mingle, meet each other, the normal stuff. However, one person seemed completely isolated. There was someone on their knees, playing in the snow. Most people were doing everything they could to NOT touch the freezing snow, so it was quite unusual that someone was playing with it. Their hands were moving, as if gathering it. Their backs were facing the bulk of the students and a tree was in front of them, so getting a peek at them wasn't gonna be done subtly. On top of that, they were wearing some unusual clothing that covered them entirely from behind. The only way to learn who this was, was to use the direct approach.

To make things stranger, this person was completely isolated. Sure, other students were on their own, not talking to people, but they at least had other groups a few feet away from them. This person, it was as if a wall was erected to keep people away, not allowing anyone to get near. A hole in this sea of students. This alone would be agonizing for anyone with an especially curious mind to turn away from.

The tests had been long and hard, only the true best could have even made it this far, especially even if he was knew along with the other students, felt more different and much more foreign to him in particular even with studying so much and having to memorize at least half the things he needed to survive especially more that in general he was mostly more used to some strategy with his weapon than his brain when it came to most written things.

A certain boy this year would be the obvious lucky and unlucky few to not be able to make much friends as he didn’t mind being alone but being bored without other people around but obviously lucky to be joined among the new ranks of these students and oddly as a normal human with the somewhat natural gift of the blazing chaos of fire, easily growing on him as he liked to be attacking and active while having some strategies. Soon they arrived as he broke from the crowd then, placing a hand on the handle with a sigh as the dormant skull glowed with its eyes and mouth of fire as smoke started to come off it a bit with the inside of the mouth still glowing but just faint. Looking around he would notice someone more curious than others as it seemed they had more interest in snow and not just to get away from people but almost like it was a part of them of something to have for the moment being somewhere new like this.

“ so...guessing....you like snow a lot besides being able to use it maybe? I don’t really like cold much for the weather at least...don’t know how I was able to come here myself but yeah...” shrugging as he dropped his arms wondering if that person would attack or ignore.

The person in the snow yelped and jumped up into the air at the sound of someone speaking. This strange student clung to one of the tree's branches, shaking and then slowly turning to look at the person. It turned out to be a Zeiloustrian boy, pretty short even for his race at just 5 feet tall. When he saw who it was that spoke, he calmed himself down.
"Oh.... I'm sorry..." He dropped down from the branch and brushed his clothes off. Then he put his hands together in his lap and bowed. At his feet were snow rabbits, which must've been what he was making before being surprised.
"My name is Linnius Saestrine, it is a pleasure to meet you. May i ask who it is you are?"

He couldn’t help but jump back a bit himself before scratching his neck embarrassingly, quietly looking over at him then down on the ground behind and in front before back up at him. “ u-uhhh u-ummm hi.” Feeling awkward as he sighed and crossed his arms a bit, “ I’m belle cranel, w-well nice to meet you.” Bowing a bit before giving a shy smile.

"I apologize for my behavior.... i am not used to large crowds. Especially not ones this...... tall. You are new here too, right? I hope to get along with you at this school"
He smiled up at him, then someone began speaking, getting the attention of the entire crowd. It was an old man speaking from higher up on a balcony located above the main entrance of the primary school building.
Man-Ahem. Welcome all of you, new students at Astral Academy. I'm your headmaster here. Now, every year we like playing a little game with our new students. Here's how it will work. There are several second year students, and a few third years as well, spread around the island. Track one down, and retrieve a special pin from them. Then you need only return here. That is all there is to it. Of course non-lethal magic is allowed in all circumstances, whether you want to sabotage your fellow first years or steal these pins by force. Also, our top student will hold a special Platinum Pin. Anyone that can get that will get a very special reward. Careful though, she promised to try her best, but she may end up killing you. Hahahahah. Ah, anyone who gets one of the other pins will get a different reward. Automatic membership to the first guild for this year. Students can get into groups of 3 at maximum, naturally grouped students only need one pin for everyone. This contest will begin in exactly 2 minutes. So prepare properly now.

He waved and then went inside, students scrambling all over to find a partner or two. The only person not even moving in this rush was an elf girl. She was pretty short by elf standards, though still a few inches taller than the Zeiloustrian shorty. She seemed very serious, despite how incredibly skimpy her outfit was.

fyuria_render_by_rikku923-d4llx68.png

Belle looked around after hearing it with a sigh then over back at the other before seeing him already leaving him inside as of course he thought about getting some help as he tried to reach out with a sigh before closing his eyes and slumping a bit for the moment as he slowly walked in a bit at least before turning to cautiously look behind and move back outside to get away from the crowd, deciding to just stay in the end before noticing a girl now doing the same as an obvious blush was on his face before looking away and acting natural. Eventually though belle nervously would walk a bit toward her, “ uh-huh h-hey....u-um are you deciding on partners or going alone....” scratching his neck before looking away and taking a breath to calm down. “ well didn’t wanna join the crowd and hoped to see some stay back but I guess just you and me so....” again trying to give a small soft smile to not be nervous.

Elf-Don't talk to me weakling.
She didn't even look at him when she spoke. Linnius walked up to him and pinched his sleeve.
"Uhm, if you don't mind it, we could be partners. If you don't mind someone like me of course"

He turned to see him, “ jeez dummy your the one who ran.” Giving a sigh as belle poked him before turning back at the girl, “ I’m not that weak though so how could you tell.” Knowing he was an obvious human though. “ well....ummm I’m belle and it’s nice to meet you.” Giving a bow, “ I guess I’ll see you around.” Before turning and walking to do whatever it was now as she wasn’t left alone and it would seem to be just the two.

“ yeah that would be fine then, but don’t move off like that seriously.” Waiting until everyone would be free to run off, “ hmm well you can choose where we can go but I don’t really like the cold much personally.” Before blushing, “ I didn’t mean like that though, just the weather.”

"Yes, i've heard other species don't tend to handle cold weather very well. Naturally it's what i feel most comfortable in, heheh. We should probably go into the forest. I expect most students won't go straight there, since it's harder to see and there are more open areas elsewhere."

“ well I use a bit of fire, dragons furnace.” Concentrating a bit of heat as he holds his hand up before touching the skull, soon glowing red with flames and smoke as a roar could be heard. Belle opens his eyes and looks around then, “ let’s go then.” Going to follow as the smoke dies a bit but with the inside and the eyes still glowing orange with flame as they arrive.

A bell sounded, then all the students scattered, and Linnius started towards the forest. They got into it unopposed and started exploring, searching for a student who had a pin. After a minute, Linnius started directing them.
"This way"
He turned and started leading.

Belle would follow before stopping then and holding his sword up, moving to the side a bit so he couldn’t get surprised anywhere but in front or the tree above but not much at all though. “ jeez and I guess I’m gonna have a rough time just being human.” Thinking with a sigh but not caring as the two would wait.

"Don't worry. Being a Zeiloustrian will not help me when the seasons change. Everything comes with...... prawns and cons"
He sniffed the air, then made a turn
"This way"
They made their way just out of the forest and into rocky area with several high uplifts dotted around them.
".....I believe we were lured here on purpose"

“Jeez but how would hat make sense then since you mostly ran in a random direction and found the forest close then ran again.” Giving a sigh as he would hold the sword up more a bit and moved back so he would be in the middle and not near anything at all so he wouldn’t get surprise attacked easily.

"I'm not moving randomly."
He pointed to his nose.
"I've been tracking a target through their scent. I have a good sense of smell."
Guy-Very impressive. Guess that renders the surprise attack a little moot. Ah well.
Someone with a pin attached to his hip walked out from behind a boulder.
Guy-My name is Sora Musashi, Second Year.
"Blizzard"
Snow kicked up and swirled around the area, hiding their movements. Linnius circled around and launched ice spikes at Sora's back. Sora responded smoothly and calmly, drawing his sword and deflecting them.
5dfb97da6ba20c4d043f4621a196ce4d--female-samurai-samurai-art.jpg

“ hmmm so guess one of your species too?” Assuming from the ice anyway obviously before leaning forward a bit and holding his sword. “ duck now while I do this. dragons roar.” Spinning and pulling out the sword as he slashed around him sending a similiar form of the blizzard but more of a ring of fire moving outward in an earthquake like wave through the air before putting his sword back in the skull, “ dragon furnace.”

Linnius ducked as his partner attacked, however Sora simply dashed forward, he was VERY fast, and avoided the flames. He then stabbed his sword into the ground, just in front of his feet, standing less than a foot away from Belle.
Sora-I'm a human, obviously. Do i look short to you? My eyes aren't even blue.
"Ice fang!"
Linnius created a long spear of ice that flew towards Sora's back, however he easily turned and swung his sword in an upward arc, cutting the spear down the middle.
Sora-Your fire attacks are way too slow to even singe me. As for the Zeiloustrian.
He turned and showed Belle his back.
Sora-Your attacks are a little better, but they're too weak and readable. The snow storm at the start was a good cover though. However this guy as your partner throwing fire around renders that worthless.

“ well better though that it cleared a bit of the forest for an even more open area, and that it stops anyone from coming too close for a surprise attack or more people to deal with.” Not trusting it. “ well I’ll just avoid your attacks so go ahead then.” As he would give the other a bit to actually use his own attacks instead of the fire destroying it and only if Linn would attack him directly anyway.

Belle stepped back then, already being able to block with a flame slash just in case anything would happen then.

Sora-Hm? Are you even trying flame user? Your partner's doing all the attacking.
Linnius angled some ice blades to attack him from the sides, others flying at him straight on. Sora casually cut down the straight attacks, and then just avoided the angled ones. Linnius then clapped is hands together, snow coming up and covering him, then falling as he disappeared.
Sora-.....that one's not bad.

“ well let’s go then.” Charging for an attack, before turning to do a series of fast flame slashes where the flames seemed to float and stay a bit from how fast he was moving at least and knowing he would dodge back or attack. Belle soon jumped back and put his sword in before using the furnace again with another two wide slashes aiming for the lingering symbol of a dragon face made of the floating slashes, with that it would connect a reasonable lengthed flame body to head to make an actual attacking fast moving fire dragon, also with the help of a bit of at least some basic magical ability to animate it for a moment. “ flame dragon outburst.” Rushing in from the side and going for an attack

Sora reacted quickly, his eyes scanning Belle's attacks and then planning accordingly. He seemed briefly surprised as the dragon part, but he still moved into a more favorable position. This was spoiled though, as Linnius rose from the snow behind him.
"Icey grasp"
He clasped his hands together and the snow started compressing around his legs. Before they could properly grasp him though, he jumped and rapidly spun, then landed and blocked Belle's blade with his own. He looked at the fire dragon however, and determined he wasn't gonna be able to dodge that. He then grinned. His left hand freed itself from its resting position on his lapel, where it had not moved once the entire rest of the fight, then he let the dragon run right into it, where it then dissipated. Sora then pushed Belle away, and..... sheathed his sword.
Sora-Congratulations. You both pass. Here.
He took his pin off, then tossed it to Linnius, who caught it, and looked at it.
"uhmmmm.... i do not understand. Is this a human custom? We did not win the fight."

“ ha and I’m the one that finished it!” Giving a grin as he spun his sword before putting it back in the skull again as the skull smoked with another furnace now.” Belle turned to him, “ well....they said though that you wouldn’t be fighting to the death or anything well at least without the special pin but it’s a scouting test to find the best. We fight until we can steal or I guess they end up giving up cause they couldn’t do anything with the attacks at least that probably isn’t non lethal.” Giving a shrug as he crossed his arms. “ oh and now who’s doing all the attacking.” He would obviously tease then with a sigh, “ guess we could back then.”

Sora-don't get such a big head there. I could've defeated you both easily within the first 5 seconds of the fight. To be blunt, there's no way either of you could beat me. That's the case with most of the students holding pins. This game is just that, a game. We're not just some random second and third years. We're the cream of the crop.
"Eh? You are a sweet liquid poured on farm produce?!"
Sora-Right, not human. Sorry, it means we're the best of the best.
"Hm.... That makes more sense"
Sora-We each set up a condition, and if that's met then you win. For me, the condition was you run away before making me use my left hand. It took you a while, but you managed to pull it off. Congratulations. Now go back to the school and get your prize. See ya around
He disappeared.
"Ah! He is very fast. Let us return now. We must still be careful, other students may try and steal our pin."

Back
Top Bottom