Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Who's Teasing Now? (dominant_minded X Darkest Desires)

James stepped up to the door and sighed, holding the bottle of red wine he'd brought with him. He quickly ran his fingers through his blonde hair, making sure his appearance was in order, then looked down and checked his watch. It was 6:30. If he was lucky he could get through with this little dinner party and be out of his Boss's house by 8:00. He hated these business socials. Everyone seemed to spend the entire evening making small talk with people they had absolutely no interest in actually getting to know. Not to mention, he was always felt quite out of place at these things. He was the company's only Assistant Vice President under the age of 29, and one of the old man's only advisors without a trust fund. It's an important networking opportunity, he reminded himself, and quickly checked his breath. He reached up and pressed the doorbell, letting his face slide into a pleasant enough smile.

Sarah managed to conceal a yawn behind a perfectly manicured hand as the business man who had been talking to her non-stop turned away. As the daughter of a company owner, she had to attend these dinner parties. And it helped that her dad was wealthy...a new gucci dress could always soften the blow of a mind numbingly boring party. Sarah's entertainment in these things was in winding her father's associates up. And most of the time she did it without them even noticing, as they were too busy trying to take a peek down her dress without being caught. So, when the doorbell rang it was a welcome interruption. She ended the conversation with a bright smile and an apology and strode out the room and down the hall. She checked herself out in the hall mirror before opening the door, smiling at the tall, slim brunette in the mirror. So what if she knew she was hot? Didn't everybody? Sarah opened the door, a smirk tugging at the corner of her lips as she saw who it was.

A man her father called, "brilliant." And who she thought of as very attractive. There was something about him that appealed to her...He kept it well hidden but there was something there, and he'd become her challenge from the time her father had hired him. Sarah leant against the door frame, her eyes slowly scanning his form and flicking to his eyes, holding his gaze. "Well, well...if it isn't daddy's little puppet all dressed up! Come in..." she stepped back so he would have to brush past her to get by.

His smile twitched as he realized who was opening the door for him. He just managed not to roll his eyes. "Good evening, Sarah," he answered her, with just a touch of sarcasm in his otherwise genteel tone. He brushed off her comment, another of her typically annoying digs. He always suspected her comments were more about getting a rise out of him than a simple feeling of superiority. Thus he was always careful never to let himself be baited, as he felt somehow she'd take it as a sign that she'd won.

He waited for a moment to let her step back, but she just stood to the side in the doorframe. He almost rolled his eyes at her as he realized that she wasn't going to move further. He turned his shoulder and moved past her, his body brushing against her expensive dress and body as he was certain she had wanted. Could she be any more obvious? he thought, but, truthfully, he couldn't deny that wouldn't have minded dragging his open palm across her chest along with his body. Sarah certainly wasn't unattractive, but the problem was that she knew it all too well and used it like most people used a fly swatter.

He handed her the bottle of wine as he took off his coat. "I'll leave that Bordeaux in your capable hands," he said tensely, trailing off and beginning to move away, trying to end the little encounter.

Her smiled widened as she saw his perfectly placed smile almost slip as he saw her. It was obvious to her that perhaps her teasing was finally getting through to him, and chipping away at his confidence. She admired the way he could act so calm even in the face of obvious bait. Her eyes scanned his suit clad form in appreaciationm tucking a stray tendril of hair back behind her ear as he stood there waiting for her to move. Sarah's eyebrow rose in amusment as he realised she wasn't going to budge. A small chuckle sliding through her lips as he brushed past her. She shut the door behind him, spinning back around to face him...her dress swishing with the movement.

A sigh escaped her lips as he handed her the bottle, and she eyed it with put on boredom."You shouldn't have...And I mean that literally. Daddy's bought champagne by the bucketload...And somehow I think everyone would prefer that." She grinned as he started striding down the hall, quickening her stride to catch up with him. Linking with him as she did...the bottle of wine still in her hand. "Don't run off so soon Jamesy...Surely I'm better company than the stiffs in there? Maybe we could go somewhere and share this wine...I wouldn't want it to go to waste," she murmered.

Once again he brushed off her veiled insults, offering only a calm, simple answer, "That's a shame, as I've always found champagne hangovers to be the worst possible." He sighed almost imperceptibly, annoyed, as he felt her link her arm inside of his, but stubbornly refused to let her redirect him. His answer was polite and discrete, though it subtly seemed to acknowledge the suggestive note to her invitation, "I'm rather sure your father wouldn't find that to be a productive use of my time here tonight."

Jamesy? That's a new one, he thought, and pushed his hand in his pocket so she wouldn't see him ball it up into a fist. He was definitely not interested in showing a reaction to that. If she knew it got under his skin, he'd be 'Jamesy' every time she came into the office. He half led, half dragged her by their linked arms into the large parlor and immediately started to look for the most boring conversation in the room to drag her into. He saw old Jenkins standing without a victim, which is how James thought of the people the man managed to draw into conversation, standing in the corner. He immediately started to pull Sarah in that direction.

Sarah chuckled, "It's worth it, we only buy the best champagne. So the taste is worth the hangover that follows." Once again she admired how calmly he took her comments, brushing them off as if brushing dust off his jacket. A slow grin soread across her face, her eyes widening in an innocent expression. " Aww Jamesy! I'm merely suggesting drinking this lovely wine. After all, you payed for it...And some of us can't afford to splash out. Lucky for me, daddy's never short of money." A ripple of pleasure washed through her as she thought of how that would annoy him.

A startled giggle escaped her lips as he virtually dragged her into the parlor. Suddenly he stopped, and she glanced at him out of the corner of his eye. Her own eyes narrowing as she saw the look he made when he was planning something. She'd seen it many a time in one of the countless teeth grindingly boring buisiness meeting her dad would make her sit through. Countless times she'd witnessed James pitching ideas...He was a clever man, one of the reasons why she liked to wind him up. There was nothing that Sarah liked more than a challenge...And it seemed James was challenging her right back, as he led her towards Jenkins. Without any doubt, the most boring man in the room. And one of the most boring men she'd ever met. But James had underestimated her if he thought she was some vapid teenager who didn't know how to handle such men.

Sarah stepped forward.Air kissing Jenkins on both cheeks, a charming smile lighting up her face. "Jenkins you old devil! What are you doing here on your own with no-one to talk too? Jamesy here was just telling me how much he'd love to hear how the financial side of the buisiness is running...He's especially fascinated in your ideas of how we could improve our yearly income, tenfold." Sarah threw James a little smug smile as Jenkins started on a speech brimming with facts and statistics that would bore anyone. But unfortunately for James, was aimed at him.

He bit his tongue rather than argue with her that his salary was more than sufficient for him to 'splash out' as often as he felt like, knowing that it was exactly the sort of thing she wanted him to say. She did make herself hard to ignore; he did have to give her that. Of course whether or not she was a pleasant distraction was another matter entirely.

He was a little surprised with the way she greeted Jenkins, realizing that she had seen exactly what he had in mind and, rather than trying to redirect them to another conversation, was trying to beat him at his own game. At first a little smirk played across his lips, thinking she'd overplayed this as he was far more willing to listen to a discussion of the company's finances than she was. Of course, then he saw that Sarah was letting her eyes glaze over, while James couldn't manage to turn his own brain off. He'd heard this idea of Jenkins' already, anyone who had gotten to close to him in the office over the past three months had heard it whether they wanted to or not. He also knew that despite all the facts and statistics the old man was quoting, this was never going to work. Of course, arguing with Jenkins was strikingly similar to trying to throw stones at a hornets' nest to kill the hornets, it accomplished nothing except to raise your own annoyance level. If he managed to even hear and understand your argument, he rarely bothered to give a good answer to it, preferring to return to the boring script of his original idea as if you would agree with him if you just heard the whole thing.

He stared at Jenkins, trying to think of a way to redirect this nonsense. Delight touched the corners of his mouth as he thought of another subject. "Jenkins, that's excellent," he slapped him gently on the shoulder, startling the man as he had been in mid paragraph and was thrown off by the exuberance of the person on the receiving end of his conversation, evidently he wasn't used to such positive reactions. "You know that you and I could talk shop here all evening, but I hate to deprive Sarah of that hilarious story you were telling about your granddaughter. I've got to run and grab something to eat real quick. Why don't you share that with her," he said and took Sarah's hand off his arm, placing it on Jenkins' with a broad grin directed at the girl, "and I'll be right back." He turned and started trying to escape immediately, trying to get away before either of them had a chance to formulate enough words to stop him.

The look of absoloute boredom on James' face was delicious to behold. Sarah let her mind wonder, thinking about the party she had tomorrow. And that wasn't gonna be boring in the slightest. She'd planned her outfit to the last detail, after buying 5 dresses to choose from, she'd finally chosen a short red dress that clung to her curves without looking slutty. That was a big 'no no ' for her. When she got dressed, she always made sure she looked good and knocked every other woman out of the water. Sarah glanced at james wondering what his impression of her was. Probably a spoiled brat no less! That brought a grin to her face...Because she was spoiled but the brat thing? It was her character...a part she loved to play. Especially when she got such shocked reactions when she let people see that there was a clever, passionate girl behind the persona. Her train of thought was dashed as James pulled her back into the present with a trick of his own.

She wouldn't let him get away that easily! With a soft, put on apolegetic smile...Sarah leaned forward whispering secretly. "Ohh I'm sorry! You know I'd love to hear one of your fantastic stories...Daddy likes me to circulate. He'd find it terribly rude of me to spend all my time with one of his guests...even if you are my favourite!But I'll make sure to come back and hear that story by the end of the night." Jenkins smiled and began to say something but Sarah gave him a bright smile, pretending not to hear and strutted after James a smile dancing on her lips. Sarah patted him on the shoulder and wriggled her fingers in a wave- completely ignoring the group who he'd been talking to, her tone mocking. "Nice try with old Jenkins. Did you miss me Jamesy?" A few of the people in the group giggled at the name and Sarah raised an eyebrow. "Didn't he tell you how he just loves to be called Jamesy?"

He got to enjoy all of four minutes worth of relief before he felt a pat on the shoulder. He was mildly appalled to see that she had managed to get away from that little trap so quickly. That had to have been a 15 minute story, easily, and James hadn't been able to shake that man off when he first heard it. For a moment, he was a little annoyed that she seemed to have succeeded where he had failed a few days before, but consoled himself with the thought that she had advantages that he didn't, like the fact that Jenkins probably didn't find James' face nearly as cute as hers.

When she started in with the Jamesy thing again, he forced a grin. "Well, I might not go as far as that, but as I said before," he said pleasantly, like he was joking along with her, but his eyes narrowed right at her, "since your name is the front of all the stationary in my desk, I figure you can call me whatever you like." He told himself that if it weren't for her last name, he wouldn't give her the time of day, but he kind of admired her determination, even if she was a bit of a spoiled brat in his opinion. Of course, he didn't entertain any illusions that her determination was born out of a real desire for him. That made it a little easier to give her the cold shoulder. No, he was just the latest toy, and he wasn't going to give her the satisfaction of rolling over on his back like a puppy for her. "Say, Sarah, I haven't seen your father around this evening. Was he planning on making it?" he asked her directly, still playing the upbeat cheery American around the nearby guests. It was a bit of a last ditch effort. If there was one way he could think of to get her off his arm and bore her at the same time, it was talking with her father about something serious.

A giggle escaped her lips as his calm exterior slipped for a second to show how appalled her was and she grinned wider. Smiling at the others around her as if sharing a private joke, they laughed along allthough they had no idea why they were laughing they knew that she was the boss's daughter and if she wanted them to laugh - they would. Sarah's eyebrows raised as he narrowed his eyes, feeling just the slight prickle of fear at the warning look in his gaze. But she shook off the feeling, feeling stupid. "Clever boy!" she murmered patronizingly. her own eyes narrowing in return. "As long as you remember that Jamesy you'll go even further in the company." Sarah took a glass of champagne as it was offered on a tray, taking a big sip as James mentioned her father.

Sarah sighed in annoyance, damning him for managing to piss her off simply with the mention of her father. He always did this...Invited all his boring buisiness associates to their house and then buggering off to do something more interesting whilst leaving her to be bored to death. But I guess when he was the one making all the money, you couldn't argue with him. Sarah took another big gulp and ignored the others around them. Forcing a smile on her face that came out more as a grimace, "It seems that he's been held up doesn't it?" She threw the last comment at the group, "So you can all relax, he's not gonna' know if you make any faux pas! But...if you'll all excuse me...I'm going to sit down." Sarah raised her chin and tried to stare James down. When he didn't take his eyes off hers. With a sigh, she strode off and dropped into one of the plush coutches, breathing deeply.

If there was one thing that could always wreck her evening it was the mention of her father. It was lovely having money, she couldn't deny it...But when she never saw him...Only spoke to him on the telephone or got a brief kiss as he left for work. It was part of the reason she liked to provoke people...At least then she'd get attention, weather good or bad. Her eyes scanned the room trying to ignore James, but she found them locking onto him. Raking over his body once more leasuirely, admiringly whilst she thought he wasn't looking.

He was more than a little surprised to find that the subject of her father seemed to take the wind out of her sails so much. The looks of frustration and annoyance were subtle, but they were there. For moment, he actually felt kind of bad. But then she started speaking again, digging her spurs into the other guests, and probably frightening them just a little. He felt his ears burn a little. He had gotten under her skin somehow with that last bit, and she took it out on others. It was funny, he thought, when she was pushing on him as hard as she could, he brushed it off rather easily. Oh it was annoying, but he never let himself get angry. He set his own glass of champagne down and put both his hands in his pockets, balling them up into fists. Luckily she was already moving away. He excused himself from the group and went to a corner of the room to cool himself off.

He took a couple of deep breaths and then went to find some of the salespeople. There were one or two he needed to get some face time with, remind them that his group's products and services would make them tons in commission if they'd get out there and sell for him. He kept feeling a tickling sensation on the back of his neck and looked around. Out of the corner of his eye, he caught sight of Sarah, still on the couch and staring at... him? He looked away, sure he was mistaken, but when he peeked back, her eyes were running down the cut of his suit, he was sure of it. It was oddly flattering, and more than a little surprising. Still, he was only interesting because he didn't fawn over her like most of her would-be suitors. He tried to ignore her for the rest of the evening.

After checking off the last person he needed to talk to on his list, he checked his watch. It was just late enough that he felt he could say his good byes and not seem ungracious. He swallowed hard, the old man still wasn't here, which meant if he wanted to thank the host... it was Sarah. He wandered through the crowd to find her, tapping her lightly on the shoulder from behind when he found her. "I've got to get going," he started calmly, deciding that he wasn't going to be able to thank her without being sarcastic. He settled on doing it indirectly, but was careful not to mention her father, "Please tell your family thanks for the pleasant evening."

Countless businessmen came by to try and engage her into conversation, but the mention of her father had brought the feelings she was constantly pushing to the back of her mind to the surface. The bitterness...Resentment...Lonliness. Her mother had divorced her father a long time ago, back when Sarah was 14. Old enough to believe it was her fault...And no-one telling her anything different...No-one reasuring her. They'd simply expected her to be swayed by countless toys and clothes. But nothing can replace the year she'd spent having to listen to them fight it out in court, the accusations they made should never have even been heard by her. But her parents were like that, they believed that a child can only learn through witnessing and experiencing not only the good side of life but also the bad side. It wasn't fair in her eyes, children should have those years of innocence before they have to grow up. But when you had a father who was on top of the buisiness world, you had to be tough. And if that came off as being bitchy...well...so be it!

Sarah had been drinking the champagne by the bucketload and she was pretty sure she'd have a terrible headache tomorrow morning. But right now, she was drunk and didn't give a flying fuck. It's funny how one remark about her father could send her into such a state but- it had happened. Sarah jumped when she felt a light tapping on her shoulder and she groaned under her breath as she realized who it was. Sarah stumbled to her feet, clutching a champagne glass in one hand. Staring at him through glazed eyes. Sarah winced at the mention of 'family.' Taking it as a dig, "I'll be sure to let one of them know when...Wait, no - if I see them," she stated flatly She downed the rest of the champagne in her glass, slamming it down onto the coffee table as she flung herself back on the sofa. Muttering to herself, feeling dizzy. "Why can't these people just leave already?"

He watched her eyes as she got to her feet to listen to his farewell. She was more drunk than he had thought. She fell more than sat back down on the sofa. He sighed a little when he heard her complain about her family and then about the guests. From the sound of things she also wasn't having a good time playing with people anymore and, as she had been on this couch every time he'd looked up and found her, she probably hadn't been since he'd asked about her father. As much as he tried to not care about this, he felt a little responsible. He looked around quickly, frustrated with himself for feeling obliged to help. He saw the Chief Financial Officer, one of her father's oldest friends. "Stay here for a second please, Sarah," he said quietly to her, with a note of friendliness that was uncommon in their usual conversation. He walked over and talked to the old gentleman for a few moments before he came back to her.

He held out his hand, offering it to her. "Come on, you've been relieved of your hostess duties. I'm," he paused, hoping she was in a sour enough mood that she wouldn't try anything stupid, then continued, "I'm going to help you up to bed." He took her hand and pulled her to her feet. She was standing pretty unsteadily, and he figured she was going to be walking even more unsteadily. He scanned the room quickly, making sure no one was watching too closely. The door to the parlor wasn't far, so he slid his arm around her shoulder to steady her, walking her to the door. He knew enough from his previous visits to the home to know that the family quarters were on the second floor. He got her to the base of the grand staircase before realizing there was no way he was getting her up the steps without dragging her. He sighed, knowing that carrying her was the right thing to do. He wasn't going to take that kind of liberty though, at least not without a witness. "I sincerely hope you're too drunk to remember this tomorrow, Sarah," he said almost under his breath. One of the servants came out of the parlor at that moment and he called out to the man as softly as he could while still getting his attention, "Hello there, would you be so kind as to get one of the maids please." The young man looked at Sarah and nodded.

A moment later a youngish maid came and asked how she could be of assistance. "I'm afraid Miss Sarah is feeling a little worse for wear, could you lead me to her quarters and then take care of her?" he said and without another word he swung his arm under Sarah's legs and picked her up in his arms. The maid blushed a little but gave an affirmative answer and started to lead James up the stairs.

Sarah giggled drunkedly at the look of concern on his face, waving a hand in his direction. "I'm fiiine Jamesy!" she slurred, her head lolling over the side of the sofa. Sarah frowned as he dissapeared, only to return some moments later with that same concerned look on his face that made her bristle once more. Repeating firmly but still just as slurred, "I'm fine." Groaning as he pulled her to her feet. She stood there, wobbling unsteadily on her heels. In her drunken haze, she didn't even connect the idea of a bed and getting him into one. Sleep was the only thing on her mind right now...So she allowed him to lead her from the room. Stumbling the whole way, people throwing glances at her and getting glares in return. He was the only thing holding her up, and Sarah groaned as she thought of how sick she was going to feel tomorrow morning. Being the boss's daughter didn't grant her a day off when she had a hangover. So she'd have to deal with the whispers and looks from the people at the office. And she was certain James would use this night against her.

A wave of nausea hit Sarah as he swung her up into his arms, but she took a deep breath and forced herself to focus on something. Unfortunately for her, that something turned out to be the strength in Jame's arms...And how utterly gorgeous his eyes were. Sarah blushed and dropped her gaze. And that was rare in itself. Sarah never allowed herself to be embarrased, or if she was ... She never let it show. But for some reason, she couldn't do it around him. And that scared her. Sarah sighed with relief as they reached her bedroom, the maid fetching clothes for her and starting to try and undress Sarah, who of course was having none of it. "Get off!I can do it myself!" The maid watched as Sarah struggled with the dress she was in, stepping forward to help...Earning a growl of annoyance from Sarah. The maid turned helplessly to James, biting her lip. Afraid to even ask for help, knowing what snobs came to these kind of parties.

James had been at the doorway, politely making his escape before any clothes started to come off. Drunk or not, he didn't want Sarah deciding later that he had tried to see or get her naked. But of course, as was almost always the case with this girl, things were going to be more difficult than that. He heard her fighting with the maid and turned his head, catching the maid's eye and saw the inaudible pleading in them. He let out a prolonged sigh. Did she always have to be such a problem? He thought for a moment about what to do. Had it been anyone else, assisting might have been pleasant, perhaps even a little amusing. But with her, it was a loathsome idea, and her attractiveness only made it worse. With my luck, this will be the part that will make it through her drunken stupor to become a memory, he thought to himself, and there will be no end to the torment that will arise from that. Still, what was he going to do?

He turned around and threw his overcoat over a nearby chair, walking over to the maid. "Get me a sheet to cover her for this. Don't bother quarreling with her, there's no need for her to yell at both of us," he said quietly and calmly. She nodded and fetched some linens. James walked towards Sarah and gently turned her around by the shoulders, ignoring the arguments and looking for zippers and buttons. He didn't even need to be rough, she was fairly easy to dodge in her current state. "Don't be difficult, Sarah," he said gently but patronizingly, as if he were addressing a petulant niece.

Sarah swayed unsteadily on her feet, batting off another attempt at undressing her by the maid. She hated having to rely on other people, it was a lesson that had been forced upon her. She'd never been able to rely on her father, so in the end she learnt to rely on one person and one person alone - herself. Therefore she stayed away from the maids and servants that flitted about their house. Tidying her own room, ironing her own clothes... Something the maide were actually greatful for, not that she was doing it for them. But for that reason, they treated her with respect and usually she would do so in return. But not tonight, everyone was in her way tonight. Sarah frowned as James talked quietly to the maid, sure that he was talking about her. "Hey!...What...what are you whispering about?" She snapped, taking a wobbly step towards them.

Sarah narrowed her eyes as he walked towards her with a sheet, taking a step back. She tried to break away as he turned her around, protesting the whole way. "I said I don't need help!" She scowled as his fingers found the buttons of her dress, and she felt like a petulant child being scolded by a cross parent. Something she knew alot about. But none the less, she allowed him to help her out of the dress. Stepping out of it as it fell to the ground. Not caring that her braless breasts were showing, but she sure was going to care in the morning! The maid rushed over to help, pulling the sheet around Sarah, who gripped it against her body. And almost reluctantly she whispered, "Thank you James." And she meant it. She turned away quickly, stumbling over to the bed, kicking off her shoes. A flash of bare skin shown before she slipped under the covers. "Could you both leave now...please? And turn off the light." She mumbled.

He was caught completely off guard by her sudden toplessness. Not only was he not expecting her to just step out of the dress, but he was expecting to see at most a little lace. He figured she at least had some strapless number on under that outfit. He spun around instantly, after only a second's recognition of curves. Of course, arousal followed almost immediately after that. He felt his cheeks get hot as they flushed red. He clenched his jaw in annoyance. It's only a physical reaction to being visually stimulated, he told himself, balling up his fists, it would happen with any woman. The maid rushed between them in the next moment with the sheet, and he started to walk towards the door. When she thanked him, he turned instinctively, intending to say 'in all seriousness, don't mention it', but instead got another flash of pale skin and a renewed wave of arousal and embarrassment. Good grief, he had to get out of here and hope like crazy that she didn't ever bring this up. He made a grunting sound rather than really answering her with any sort of 'your welcome', and then rushed from the room after grabbing his overcoat, leaving the maid to turn out the light. He took the stairs two at a time and had to consciously stop himself from jogging to his car.

He tried hard to concentrate on the drive home, trying to ignore the arousal and the concern that he had just ruined his career. Halfway home he pulled over and took several deep breaths, willing at least the arousal away so that he could think straight. After he relaxed a little, letting his mind blank, he tried to convince himself that he wasn't in that bad of shape. He had only been trying to help, after all, and he had had the propriety to have someone else there (he conveniently steered his mind away from considering that that witness was a maid that wouldn't back him up if there was an argument with her employer). Besides, Sarah had been pretty out of it, maybe nothing would come of it. He pulled back into traffic, telling himself that he felt better, even though he was still restless. He wasn't going to sleep well, but he was going to be at the office tomorrow if he had to drag himself in.

Sarah had no idea of any reaction she'd caused as she sank lower beneath the covers, groaning as a wave of nausea threatened to drown her. She croaked a "thank you" as the maid turned off the lights. Sarah hadn't expected James to be so nice to her, after the way she'd been treating him...He must really be a gent. Perhaps that dark glint she imagined in his eyes earilier was in her mind? If it was, her observating skills had dropped considerably. Either way, she couldn't stop the game that she'd started with him. How far would she be able to poke the dragon before it breathed fire? Sarah giggled, instantly regretting it as her body reminded her that it would throw up if she as much moved an inch. Sarah tried to concentrate on something else, frowning as she thought of going into the office tomorrow. The embarrasment of it...not only had her father's friends and associates seen her blindingly drunk, but one of his top dogs- who happened to be dishy- had seen her starkers! She was just greatful that her maid had been the only witness. And she knew the girl wouldn't tell. But she couldn't say the same for James...

Sarah didn't know what was happening. She was allowing this man to get to her! He'd managed to ruin her night- weather intentionally or not was another matter. And now, she was pretty sure she wasn't ever gonna' live the night down. Especially the parading around in the nude part. But, there was nothing she could do. Tomorrow. she'd simply walk in with her head held high and pretend that nothing had happened. She would turn a blind eye, ignore the judging looks... The whispers... Tomorrow was gonna' be a tough day. But she was one tough chick. And with that thought comforting her, Sarah allowed sleep to embrace her.

He awoke groggier, and earlier, than usual. He looked at the clock and groaned, deciding it was probably better to get up than risk oversleeping. He stumbled around the apartment running through his morning routine. He was in a freshly pressed suit and in his car a full hour before his usual time to leave the house. As he drove, he consoled himself with the fact that the upside of driving in this early was that there was hardly any traffic.

After parking his car, he waved his badge at the security guard and found his way to the elevators. He punched the familiar button and let his feet carry him to his office. He booted up his laptop and contemplated trying to get some work done early, before everyone got in. He quickly decided that was not going to be possible as he hadn't had any coffee, and he was ashamed to realize that he had no idea where his secretary kept the grounds and filters. He leaned down and started rubbing his eyes. It was just about then that the memories started to roll down on him. He groaned a little. He had no idea exactly how she might use last night against him, lawsuits were the first thing that came to mind, but he rather thought it wasn't going to be pleasant. Would she tell the old man, make it sound as if he had propositioned her or maybe jilted her? The weekend suddenly seemed much further than two days away. Why hadn't he just left? Why had he felt so compelled to help? He sighed and realized that as much as he had tried to rise above his family's place in the world, their values had come along with him like baggage he couldn't put down. Sarah was a lady, thus there hadn't been a whole lot of other options, and he couldn't leave the maid there to fend for herself. He knew that sort of life and position all to well. He leaned more into his fingertips and let himself drift off to a daze, just waiting for coffee and whatever nonsense he was going to have to put up with.

If James found it hard waking up, for Sarah it was torture. She was awoken by the shrill sound of her alarm going off, with a groan Sarah's hand slid out of the nest she'd made and hit the alarm, the noise stopping abruptly. But the headache staying stubbornly ever present in Sarah's head. Bleary eyes noted that it was 10:23 AM. Sarah swore, she was 2 hours late for work. And if her dad found out- he would go apeshit. And today, she was definitely not in the mood to argue. With a grunt, she rolled out of bed. A hand clutching her throbbing forehead. Slamming the door to her ensuite bathroom behind her. 1 hour later and she was clrean, dressed and sat in a limo, clutching a thermos flask of cofee, and drinking from it as if it was the sweetest nectar she'd ever tasted. Sarah popped an asprin into her mouth, swallowing it with a grimace. Today was going to be hell, and when she felt bad - Sarah made sure she looked good. Safe in the knowlege that if the day was going to be rough, at least she didn't look it.So she'd thrown on a highwaisted red skirt that outlined her long shapely legs and pert bottom, A white clean blouse, two buttons undone to reveal the curve of her neck. Her hair hung loose down her back, her make up natural.

Sarah sighed as they reached the building, thanking the driver. And with a deep breath, Sarah strode confidently towards the building- her head held high. She nodded to people as they greeted her, heading for the sanctity of her office. A voice stopped her in her tracks, "Sarah May-Jones! You're late." Sarah gritted her teeth, turning around as slowly as she could to face her father. Her voice was filled with icy politeness and a strong touch of venom, "I'm so sorry boss.You see, I had to host a party last minute last night. The host bailed, so I was left in charge. Needless to say I was very tired, and didn't hear the alarm go off." His face was flushed red, a few of the office workers had heard the exchange and were busy trying to pretend they hadn't. He took a step towards her, his eyes glittering with anger. But then he seemed to think better of it and simply turned on his heels, his voice booming back to her, "Get to work Sarah, we'll talk when we get home." Sarah was quick to retort. "If you come home." Her fathers step faltering before he carried on down the corridor. Sarah resisted the urge to scream the building down and tear out her hair, instead she strode over to the office kitchen. Slamming down a mug and pouring her coffee into it. Sarah took a sip, allowing the warm liquid soothe her. Leaning back against the counter, her forhead once more beginning to pound.

Yup...today was gonna' be a living nightmare.

James was on his second cup of coffee (mercifully, his secretary had come in a bit early today), and he still wasn't able to read his email without daydreaming. This day was going to suck. He picked up his mug and started to take a sip, only to find that the cup was quite empty. He was about to call out to his secretary but thought better of it. Of the two of them, she was probably the productive one at the moment. He'd fetch it himself. He stood up and walked out holding his mug. "Don't get up, Miss Bingly, I just need to stretch my legs a little," he said to his secretary before she could rise out of her chair to offer to run the errand he was obviously on herself. He walked down the hall towards the kitchen in the executive area. He passed it without realizing he'd gone to far. He sighed and turned around. He was three steps into the room before he noticed her. He was about to turn around when his eye caught hers. He cursed himself inside his head, but managed to stay outwardly placid. "Good morning, Miss Jones," he said politely, making sure to avoid any semblance of familiarity, walking past her to the coffee pot.

Sarah had finished her first cup of coffee, and it was only managing to get her even more het up. Not suprising at the amount of caffine that was in the stuff. But right now, she couldn't give a shit about what harm the stuff might be doing to her. She poured another cup, sighing as she took another big gulp. Sarah froze as she looked up and saw James. She dropped her gaze, cursing herself at being so cowardly. She pulled herself up, the only sign of her distress was the colour slowly draining from her knuckles where she was holding the cup in a death grip. Sarah forced a smile on her face, but it came out as more of a grimace. "James." There was no jokes, but it was obvious that she was nervous, but that came out as snappy. Sarah shifted, praying that he didn't mention the party. Promising that she'd leave after this last cup of coffee.

The air felt a little thick to him. He noted that she seemed to be avoiding his gaze and it surprised him. Maybe she was too hungover to feel like torturing him today. He couldn't tell for certain if she remembered last night at all, but the tone of her voice was either angry or... well, probably angry. He filled his coffee cup and stepped around her, watching her the whole time. She was dressed pretty well, if she felt as bad as she should. The coffee thermos she had seemed to be a pretty big tip. Still, he was concerned about just how much she remembered. "How do you feel this morning, Miss Jones?" he asked, managing not to sound too cheeky until he threw her name out there. He was deliberately being overly professional this morning.

Sarah bristled at the question, eyes flicking to his and narrowing. She searched his gaze, there was a hint of teasing there she was sure of it. Or was it her imagination. Sarah took another big gulp of the coffee. He was playing games with her on the wrong day. In this mood, she wouldn't play nice. Sarah stepped closer to him, eyes locked on his. "Fine fine...There's something I'd like to clear up though...Did I trip over anything last night? I can be a bit clumsy when I'm under the influence...I looked this morning and I didn't see any bruises on my body. I was wondering if you had? ...After all, you seemed to be inspecting me pretty thoroughly last night, Jamesy." Her voice was silky smooth, his name said with extra sweetness. Taking a dainty sip of her coffee. That would teach him to try and play her at her own game.

He very nearly dropped his coffee mug. That told him all he needed to know about her memory. He clenched his fists a little. "You should ask your maid," he started to answer coolly, "she's the one who would have taken the time to look." The implication of rejection was definitely there as he spoke. He continued, "I was just there to keep you from bruising her in a misguided attempt to take care of yourself." He took a deliberate step backwards and made his face as cold as he could. His eyes didn't dip for a second from hers. He was staring her down. He wasn't going to be the one to walk out of here embarrassed; he was determined.

Back
Top Bottom