Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Is He A Lover or A Fighter {guitarfan2810 & WrittenFantasies}

Jake nodded to her not wanting Layla in and out of his life. "I've said this from the beginning. You thought I was being a jerk...but maybe I didn't explain it well but this is exactly what I wanted to prevent. I don't want his hopes up that she's gonna be around but then she isn't. He has a mother who wants to be here. That's why I haven't wanted to take anything away from you." Sitting on the couch with his family has been nice.

He got dressed in athletic pants and tshirt in case they needed to run tests. The other doctor was to send his records to the new doctor. He smiled at Adri, "You're afraif people think we split up or you just want me to take you to lunch?" He narrowed his eyes at her. "We can get lunch baby. Think about where you want to go."

Jake went down to say bye to Owen and his dad who wished him luck. He gave Owen a bunch of kisses before going out to the car with Adri. While she drove, he looked her over. "Be nice when we go to Tokyo. Don't pick for me to do karate or something." He said with a smile. He let out a breath being a bit nervous.

"Both but mainly the second one." She smiled and kissed him softly. "I think I want BBQ. Or wings. Maybe BBQ wings." She shrugged her shoulder and looked at Jake. "Hopefully you'll feel up to it. Actually, I will let you should pick."

She laughed and nodded her head, "I was planning on doing any Karate. I still need to get our tickets." She said softly and got in the car. "I'll get them both if you feel better." She told him and held his hand. "Let's hope you feel better." She smiled. She wanted to see the city with him but she would go alone if she had too.

She got them to the doctors office and parked. She walked with Jake into the building and commented on how nice it looked from the outside. The receptionist gave Jake some papers to fill out and Adri sat by him and looked up what she wanted for lunch.

"I figured." He teased. "BBQ sounds good or wings too. I can eat whatever. Literally cause I'm not training." He was surprised she wanted wings or BBQ.

Jake figured she didn't but didn't know what other physically demanding task they could do in Tokyo. "Oh plan to buy them." He smiled at her.

It was a nice place from outside. "It should be nice he's the best neurologist in Vegas who specializes in sports medicine." He sat down and filled the paperwork out. Once t was filled out he sat there letting his leg jackhammer a bit nervous.

"I just want food at this point. I'm starving. One big meal and then I'll work it all off when we get home. Or drink that stuff that makes it run through your body. We have to stop by Target to get that though." She said softly.

She smiled and nodded her head, "I'm planning on it. The first class seats turn into lingers. It's going to be amazing. Maybe they'll serve us sushi." She smiled and rubbed Jake's leg.

The doctor called Jake back and Adri waited for him to stand up and then she followed him into the room. He did a series of tests and checked out the X-rays in front of Jake. He explained what he saw was going on which was what the other doctor said.

"I think you are a good candidate for the cortisone shot but that's a temporary fix. With your career I think the best otption is to eliminate at the damage completely. I have been researching ways to reverse nerve damage and I have entered clinical trials. You are a candidate if you are interested in knowing more." He told Jake.

Adri bite her lip and looked at Jake. It was a possible way to fix the damage but not a sure fire way and it was still being researched. "If it doesn't work out what happens?" She asked softly.

"Worst case scenario, he loses the nerve and he loses some feeling in that area. Best case scenario he is fully healed and back to normal."

"I'm down with any food. I can eat anything!" He smiled at her and kissed her cheek.

Jake sat there and thought it over. "What are the long term effects of this trial? Does anyone know? Besides losing feeling? I'm a fighter. I have to be able to fight or if not fight, train others to fight. Without that I can't provide for my family." That thought killed him. What if he couldn't take care of them.

He looked at Adri. "What do you think babe?"

"If we yes, when can we do this? What are the immediate side effects? I want to travel next week to Tokyo. Is that a possibility? What can I do to travel? I need to get to Tokyo and also New York. I have a wedding to plan." He looked at Adri and winked at her with a smile.

"Long term we are looking at a full recovery. Little to no pain once you are healed. it will be like it never happened. That is the goal at least." The doctor said and looked at Jake and then Adri. "You should be as good as new. You would need to rest for a couple months and then take it easy at first with the training and then when I clear you, you can get back to your normal work out." He knew that probably wouldn't sound the best to Jake but he followed up with, "You are a healthy young man. You should heal a bit faster than the average Joe. Instead of eight weeks, you could get cleared in 5 or 6 as long as you take it easy."

Adri looked at Jake and shrugged her shoulder, "What's your success rate been?" She asked him.

"We are at a 70% success rate. Sometimes we have to clip the nerve in surgery because there is more damage than expected, sometimes the healing process doesn't go as planned. This surgery isn't for everyone but I believe it would do good for Jake."

The doctor looked at Jake, "I cannot allow you get this surgery and travel to a foreign country. There are too many risks. Instead what you can do is schedule the surgery for when you return. Right now get the cortisone shot because it will work in your case. Think of the surgery and now that it is scheduled if you decide to go through with it. Just realize you are either going to lose the nerve, be completely dependant on cortisone shots, or live in pain for the rest of your life."

Jake listened to him. The good as new part and being cleared in 5 to 6 weeks all sounded great. He was ready to sign up then and there. Then he comment about a 70% success rate, that less than three-fourths. But it still sounded good. Then he added he couldn't do the surgery and travel. He gave the doctor a nod. "I can't live in this pain the rest of my life. I'll literally go insane. I can't. My fiance knows I'm not a guy to give up or tapout as we call it in fighting. But I'm tapping out. It sucks..."

He looked down and thought it over. "Can you give us a minute to discuss this?" The doctor nodded and mentioned having some paperwork to fill out so he'd start that and be back in a moment. Once he was gone, Jake looked at Adri. "Here's my thoughts. Let's do the cortisone. Let's try this trial. I want to get the details and make sure it's cleared with the UFC. Just cover bases but I say let's do this. Maybe we can go to Tokyo. Then New York. Find my baby's castle then come back get the surgery, then maybe we can go back to New York for a few weeks to plan the wedding. We can use this time to spend together and plan. And we can go the area of our castle and plan things there so we have the flowers and cake and whatever there close. Except you wanted the cake from Amy and Luke's wedding but you know what I mean." He looked her over.

"What do you think babe? Give me your opinion?" He knew it was his decision but he always appreciated and loved her advice and input. Her opinion matter to him. They were getting married this could affect them for the rest of their lives. "I can't live with the pain. If I need to be dependent on shots...I guess I will...but I want to fix this if all possible to fight again. But if I can't..." He shrugged.

"If you can't then I have made more than enough to live off of and it's not like I am planning on stopping work any time soon. The family will be fine if you can't fight again. Will you be fine if you can't fight again?" She asked.

She thought it all over, "If it doesn't work then they are going to clip the nerve while they are in there. If it does work then you are good to go. I want you to be good to go. I don't want you to be dependant on a sht for the rest of our lives because that will get old really fast."

She listened ti his version of their travel plans and bite her tongue, "After Tokyo, I have to stay in New York for a few weeks. I start the campaigns with Express and Victoria. I cannot leave. The cortisone shot lasts a month and there are doctors who can do it in New York, why don't we think about the surgery a little while longer. Let's see how some more test trails go and then when we are sure the UFC will allow it and we are looking at this with the right start of mind then you get the surgery. We are just now learning about this. We don't know anything about it. I say we go home and do some research before you go under the knife. Ultimately it's your choice as to when you want to do it. I'm not saying don't do it but I think you should look into it a lot more."

She thought about it, "Schedule the surgery a month from today. By then you will know if you really want to do it."

He looked down when she asked if he'd be fine not fighting again. No he wouldn't. "Probably not. But if I don't have a choice..." He shrugged.

He looked at her confused. "It will get old really fast? You're telling me if I have to get a cortisone shot you wouldn't do it or take me to get it cause it gets old fast?" He looked away shaking his head. "Wow..." It wouldn't matter what she needed, if she needed it, he'd do it. Sometimes he wondered if she really was in this like he was.

Jake ran his hand through his hair. "How do we know there are doctors in New York who can do it? We don't he's doing the trials we don't know if he's the only doctor or if there are thousands. We don't know. So you're right, let's do more research." He said softly. "We will go to Tokyo and New York and just put it off a month."

A few moments later the doctor came back into the room for Jake's decision. "Let's schedule it for a month out. See what happens. Let's do the cortisone. See how that holds up." His voice was quiet and he would be lying if he said he wasn't a bit upset by what Adri said but he tried to just push it off.

She shook her head, "That's not what I'm saying." She sighed and looked at Jake. "You know that's not what I'm saying but getting shots every month or every two weeks for the rest of your life. You know you won't be able to live like that. It will get old for you very fast and you know it. Don't spelunking this around on me."

She frowned, "Any sports medicine doctor can give you a cortisone shot." She told him. They came here for a cortisone shot and to possibly talk about snipping the nerve. For him to keep it in some sugary they never heard was not something they should take lightly.

Well she screwed up her lunch plans but it sounded like they were still going to Tokyo so she bought the tickets and waited for Jake to finish the paperwork so they could go home.

"I'm not spinning anything around. People are diabetic and do shots every day..." He just left it at that and didn't say anything else about it.

Jake let out a sigh. "I'm not talking about the cortisone shots anywhere or even the burning of the nerve. But this other surgery..." He let out another sigh.

He filled out the paperwork for the surgery and then he let the doctor give him the cortisone shot. If he needed another one he figured he'd get on in New York since Adri thought it was so easy to just get in to a doctor anywhere. The doctor told him it could take a little bit before it started to really kick in and get the full effect of the shot.

Jake went out to the car with Adri. He was quiet when he got in and looked out the window. "Where's lunch?"

"You aren't diabetic." She argued. "You're going from an extremely healthy guy to a guy dependent on shots?" She sighed and shook her head. She obviously wasn't being heard so she gave up.

"This other surgery needs to be looked at and researched. Don't pin all of your hopes on this surgery. We don't know anything about it other than it had a chance of helping you. It's still Ina. Testing phase. They don't know lo term effects. You could still end up needing cortisone shots in the future. You don't know."

While he got his shot, she ordered chipotle and asked John if he wanted anything. They could take it home and eat it there. "Chiptole." She asserted where he asked where lunch was. She parked in the first spot she found which happened to be a walk from the restaurant. "I, going to grab it and come back so you can get home and rest."

She got out of the car and went to get the food. She got Jake's favorite burrito and his father wanted a burrito bowl she got one for him. She wasn't hungry anymore so she didn't get anything. It was ready to go and paid for when she walked in. She got the food and got back to the car without incident.

She handed him the bag and drove them home. She out the food in the kitchen and then went to see Owen and Max. She gave her boys kisses and then she got up. "I need to go work out so I will see you in a bit."

"I'm not saying I am banking on it working. I said we'd go home and do our research like you suggested to do. Like you said we know nothing about it. My hopes aren't up about it..." He sighed and bit his tongue.

Jake rolled his eyes and shook his head. "We can eat there. It's not a big deal You wanted to go to lunch. We can do lunch." He sighed when she got out of the car and went inside.

Once they arrived at home he grabbed his food and went to the living room. If she wanted to be stubborn and not eat, her problem, he was eating. Jake didn't say anything to her when she said she was leaving. His father could sense some tension. He asked how the appointment went. He told him what the doctor said and even his concerns about the future and not just about fighting. It seemed like it was a constant issue with them. They always seemed to fight and he didn't want to get married and that be all they did. He still couldn't help but feel like their priorities were different. She was worried about New York and he was trying not to be in pain every day. Part of him didn't think she understood the pain he was in but then again he wouldn't want to hold her back from her job either. He seemed pretty lost in fact.

Adri didn't know what she was doing. She sat in the gym to be alone and if she was needed she would come running. She questioned what she was really doing. She was playing step mother to a baby. She was about to get married. She was young and still dumb and engaged to a wonderful man but she wondered if she should be.

All they did was miscommunicate and fight and then somehow make up again. It wasn't a life she wanted to live. It wasn't what she wanted with her future. She was tired of fighting. She was tired of guilty when she felt like she didn't do anything wrong. When they were happy, it was amazing but when they fought, she put her head on her knees and tried not to cry but failed.

She left the gym and went upstairs a little while later. She drew a hot bath and put a bath bomb in it. She soaked for a long time and got out and out her robe on. She went to the kitchen to get something to drink and eat and then went back upstairs to be alone again.

After awhile Jake got up and let his dad watch Owen a bit longer so he could soak in the hot tub. He pulled his shorts off and shirt with a small wince, the pain wasn't as bad luckily. After climbing in he leaned back against the side of the tub.

Jake tried clearing his head. He wasn't easy to be with and he knew that. Not just for being a fighter but he came with a lot of baggage. Owen, his temper, and he didn't always communicate the best. He couldn't help but think about the advice her mother gave him in New York.

Truth was Jake loved Adri and wanted her forever. She said she was in this with him so they would make it work. But they did need to learn to communicate more and better. Part of that problem was Jake and he knew that. He felt like he didn't explain himself the best but he didn't always know how else to express himself.

After awhile and he was ready to get out, he climbed out of the hot tub and grabbed a towel. He tossed his underwear in the washer and went up to shower off the chlorine. When he was done he climbed on the bed next to Adri.

"Hi...Can we talk?"

She wiped her cheeks when Jake came into the room to shower. She blew her nose on a tissue and wiped her eyes. By the time he was out of the shower, she was barely getting it together.

She turned when he sat on the bed and faced him. "Yeah." She said softly and sat up to look at him.

She sighed and looked at Jake with fresh tears in her eyes, "Are we doing the right thing?"

Jake looked at her a moment, it was obvious she was upset. She probably felt what he felt. His fingers ran through her hair and he kissed her head.

"Sometimes I wonder...." He whispered. "But then I think about life without you and I know it's the right thing." He snuggled as close to her as he could. He was still sore but feeling better. He wiped her eyes. Jake hated seeing her hurting.

"Adriana...I love you and there is no doubt that I want to make you my wife. We're young and have busy demanding jobs. But we're trying and we're making it work. But I want to make it even easier. I know I need to communicate better. But I don't know how. Any suggestions since you're on the other side of things?"

She wrapped her arms around him and closed her eyes. She didn't want to lose this but it felt like that was exactly what was happening. "Is it though?" She asked softly. "It feels like all we do is fight and make up to fight again."

She looked up to keep from crying again. "I love you too but there is a kid to think about here. This is t healthy for Owen. If we get married and do this every week, this won't be healthy for him."

Her breathing got heavy and she put her head back on his chest, "I love you Jake. I love you so much." She said softly and cried onto his chest. "I can't keep doing this. I can't." She cried.

He looked at her and held her tight. "Adri, I love you. I couldn't imagine my life with anyone else. You are my queen." He kissed her head and rubbed her back.

"I know it's not good for Owen. We both don't want to put him through us fighting all the time. We are going to fight. Every couple does..." He was quiet a moment as he rested his cheek on her head. "I have a suggestion. What if we go through pre marriage counseling. It can't hurt anything right? It will help us communicate and help with any other issues. Maybe it will help us individually and together." He caressed her back.

"I know baby...we will get through it together. I have faith in us."

She wondered if they were only staying together because they were too selfish to let anyone have a chance with the other person. Was she good to Owen? Yes but there was another woman who would treat him even better and love him even more but Adri didn't want Jake to find her. She was sure Jake felt the same way about her finding some new guy.

She couldn't bring herself to even say the words because she knew they would get over it in a couple days and they'd be fine again but that wasn't the way to Live. That wasn't the relationship you had when you married someone.

"Okay." She said to counseling. That could help but they wouldn't be able to get to it until after the trip and then after New York. That was too much time for another fight to spark and end up in the position again.

"I just want 'us' to be the right thing." She said softly.

Jake laid there holding her and then got quiet. If she would have said that all to him about being selfish, his answer would probably surprise her. If there was a man that she loved and and made her happy, he'd walk away from her. That's all he'd ever ask was for her to be happy. Even if that meant without him and Owen. The thought though scared him and made him feel sick.

He knew she was thinking more about things, then she said it. "I feel like we are...but if you don't...or don't know...maybe our problems are a lot bigger than communication." He said softly. He thought she agreed to be in this with him...but now she was second guessing things...again... He let out a sigh.

"What do you suggest?" He asked softly.

"I don't know Jake. A part of me wants you and Owen but the other part is wondering Ifo u and Owen were made for me or if I'm just trying really hard to keep you with me. I love you and I grew to love him. When I started dating you I never thought this is how we would end up. It feels like we are two completely different places right now. You can't say you don't feel like that." She said softly.

He was almost at the top of his career and she was still fighting to get to the top. Every step she took, she had to look back to make sure he was by her side. Working made her feel guilty. If Jake was hurt, like now he wanted travel. If she had to live somewhere else, she had to be wary of his fight schedule. She was working around his schedule and fighting to make a name in the modeling world. She didn't know if they were compatible anymore.

She sighed and looked at Jake," I don't know. I don't know what to suggest but if the counseling doesn't work...I don't know what step to take after that." She looked into his eyes and rubbed his cheek.

Jake just listened and couldn't say anything. It wouldn't matter if he did. She seemed to have her mind made up about things. He felt her slipping away already.

When she looked in his eyes, he looked back a moment before looking away. He nodded and just laid there with her a moment. He hated he couldn't go for a run or work out to clear his head. Keeping his emotions in was driving him crazy. That probably wasn't helping anything.

Part of him wondered if he should just let her go. "I...I don't want to do this..." The words were nearly impossible to get out. "I love you. I love you so much. But...if you don't think you can do this...if you're not happy...." He couldn't look at her cause it was taking everything he had not to let the tears in his eyes to fall. " I would understand. I just want you happy Adriana. If it's not with me. Or if you don't that I can..." The actual words of her leaving or them breaking up, he couldn't say it. But it was true, he just wanted her happy.

She shook her head, "Don't say that." She begged softly. "Don't." She felt tears again and she out her head on his chest. "Please."

She took a breath and shook her head, "I'm happy. I know I am. I'm just upset and overwhelmed and confused. I can't lose this. I can't lose you. Counseling. We will go. We will make it work." She said softly and tried desperately to make herself believe, "We will make it work." She told him.

She hugged him and kissed his chest, "This will work." She said softly because she didn't have any other choice. Could she handle the big change of being on her again, of course but she didn't want too.

Jake knew she was saying those things more for herself than for him. He hugged her tightly. "Okay." If she wanted to do the counseling and keep doing what they were they he would.

His eyes closed and all he wanted to do was lay with her and forget about everything else for awhile. "I love you." He said softly and rested his cheek against her head. Jake was willing to put everything into them making it work. If he needed to put training and fighting aside, he would. That's what she meant to him.

John got Owen ready and down for a nap but was fine staying. He knew that Jake and Adri could use some time alone and was okay hanging out with his grandson. "Will you just...stay with me a bit?" He asked softly. "Dad's got O."

Back
Top Bottom