Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

School Rumble (Broom and I)

"Don't be rude, it's actually pretty good." Mei said before getting up from her spot next to him. "I'll make some tea as well for when Damien shows up. It will go well with the meal." And it would calm her nerves, hopefully. This whole business with Nicholas was just plain unsettling.

"Sure," Komoku sighed. "Hey, Mei...you know I love you, right?" he asked curiously. It was probably a dumb thing to say out of the blue, but...he just remembered them arguing about something and how frustrated and irritated he was. "I mean...you get what I mean, right?"

He barely did, he just knew it felt like the right thing to say.

Mei blinked at his sudden words before giving him a warm smile. She had never really heard him say it out of the blue like that before, but...neither of them were really vocal about their affection towards one another. "Of course I do. I love you too, Komoku. Is something bothering you?"

"...er, well," Komoku admitted, his face slightly tinted as he rubbed his neck. "...I kind of...remember we were mad at each other before I...went under, but I don't remember why," he said. "...It wasn't anything bad, was it?"

Woo, for being such an Ice Queen, she had a smile that could melt glaciers.

Mei was really hoping he wouldn't remember the fight at all. She didn't want to argue again, but she knew he had a right to know. Her smile disappeared before she sighed softly. "It was...pretty bad." She admitted reluctantly. "It was about your father, and how you were pushing everyone away because of how you felt towards him."

"...Right," Komoku sighed, rubbing his forehead. "I figured it'd have something to do with him..." He wished he could say his opinion changed, honestly. But it didn't, he'd let that sleeping dog lie as best he could.

"Yeah, well...If you need to talk to someone, just talk to me. Don't push me away." Mei said before leaning down and kissing his forehead. She knew he was still angry at his father, and she'd be more willing to accept it, if he wouldn't pout so much about his sister wanting a relationship with him. He was pushing her away because she wanted to respect Masami's wishes.

She moved over to the kitchen and started making tea. She wouldn't continue that until he was ready to.

Aiden had become an odd fixture in an odd routine without Komoku, and that irritated Komoku that he was doing everything he used to do. But that's life, right? It was strange either way when Damien and Kuki arrived. He hadn't seen much of them, but running day to day affairs could be fairly busy. He didn't look any different, he still looked rather unassuming and harmless, but...he knew better by now.

"Yo," Daimen said, as Kuki shifted forward to look Mei over, glancing to Komoku.

"...Are you okay?" Kuki asked in concern.

"I..think so." Mei answered as she stood up to greet them, gesturing to the unattended couch in the living room. She was sure her expression was not an unfamiliar one. The furrowed eyebrows, the paleness in her face, the way her lips curled into a very familiar frown...they knew she was worried about something and Mei was terrible at hiding her emotions when it came to her friends. It was all Jana's fault, it started with her. "Or at least I will be when I figure this all out. Have a seat, you'll want to be seated for this. I'll get some tea."

"Got another houseboy, huh?" Damien smirked in amusement as Aiden's expression was less than pleased, Komoku's was doubly so. Who the hell was this guy? The glance that he gave Aiden made the hairs on the back of his neck rise as he walked past him, and the Kishi boy simply watched him sit down. Mei knew so many interesting people, didn't she? "You're gonna have to tell me your trick, Mei, I could use someone to clean and cook at my place."

"Hmph," Kuki muttered dryly. Damien hadn't changed much...or at all, he was still as aloof and bored with everything as usual. "It'd take a small army to clean up your apartment, Damien." she said, nevertheless sitting down.

"Harsh," he sighed, reclining back.

"Ha ha. This is serious." Mei grumbled as she moved into the kitchen and poured their tea. There was a small amount of curiosity as to how Kuki knew what Damien's apartment looked like, but she pushed it to the back for her mind. When she finished preparing the tea she brought it out to them and set the tray on the coffee table, then had a seat next to Komoku. "Nicholas is planning another attack. Komoku heard him."

"Really," Damien murmured curiously, taking one of the cups as Komoku grumbled in irritation.

"Yeah," he said, glancing down at his own. "...He sounded pretty different this time, Damien, I think all the shit that's happened from here to now has really gotten to him...you get anything odd yet?"

"No," Damien said with a sigh. "But I guess that means we need to be alert, and here I was hoping things would finally relax for a while, with Jana and the others gone, that's going to complicate things."

"Yes, and that's what's been bothering me. How did he know they were leaving? The time of his declaration of war happened almost exactly after the others left. He might have something to do with Kitten's disappearance. I'm not sure." Mei muttered before shaking her head. "If it's anything like the last time, he won't face us alone. He'll bring others into this. He'll make sure to assemble an elite force that surpasses our own at the moment."

"With all due respect to the many people we have with us, Mei...our elite fighters are somewhere else," Damien recalled.

"Hey," Komoku grunted. "We've fought people better than us before and we've won, Damien, don't give them so little credit. We just need to be creative, that's all."

"And you're helping us," Kuki reminded Damien dryly. "We're going to need everyone, and you could use the exercise."

"Kuki is right. I need you to help, Damien. I need everyone to help, and even if most of our strongest are gone, I believe in who we have here. Komoku is right, with enough planning we should be able to defeat them. Especially if we can figure out who Nicholas will get to join him." Not that she knew how to do that, of course. Justin was off in Volaysia, and she hadn't found anyone who could investigate as well as him.

"I have a few ideas," Komoku muttered. "None of them good, we should probably expect the worst and pray for the best, ugh..." And he couldn't help at all, no matter how much he wanted to, he was in absolutely zero shape to do anything about it. He was in barely a good enough condition to walk, let alone fight.

"Hey, I'm here to help," Aiden offered, elbows on the counter. "I owe Mei that much, at least, for letting me stay here."

"Hm," Damien murmured, fumbling for his cigarettes before glancing to Kuki, who looked passively innocent. Tch. "Suppose we better get going and talk to Adam about it, then, he'd know more than us."

Mei nodded in agreement before she glanced at Aiden. She didn't think anyone was aware of him staying with her, but with Eva being Jana's girlfriend, Nicholas might have already expected him to side with her. She couldn't rely on him for element of surprise, but at least they had someone else they could depend on. Someone with considerable skill.

She rose from her seat and then gave Aiden a smile. "I appreciate your help, and hate to trouble you more, but could you please keep Komoku company for me while I go with Damien and Kuki to speak with Adam?"

"...I can go with you," Komoku said stubbornly, frowning. "I don't need a babysitter."

"Says the man who routinely gets his ass kicked like someone puts a shirt on," Aiden said dryly. "I'll keep him here, Mei." The irritation was palpable, as Komoku was glowering in silent fury like a punished puppy who felt like he had done nothing wrong.

"I could kick your ass if I was healthy," Komoku muttered irritably, sinking deeper into the couch. Whatever.

Mei only gave Komoku a smile before leaning down and giving him a kiss on the cheek. "I'll be back soon. I just have to take care of this first, and then we can spend all night together." She whispered in his ear, her breath kissing the skin of his earlobe. She felt bad that he was in such a bad mood after waking up from his coma, but it couldn't be helped. She understood why he was frustrated, and truthfully felt the same way being that she knew, deep down that she was also helpless in this fight. She could defend herself, but she couldn't risk the child inside her and fight alongside her friends.

Komoku glanced at her curiously, brows arched as he felt his face heat up just a fraction. Was...she always like that before? Nevertheless, it had...uh, been a while since he recalled that, so he sat up a little to hide just what it did to him. "...Sure," he mumbled. "Be careful, alright? And come right back when you're done, I'm serious."

"I will." Mei assured as she pulled away from him reluctantly before turning to Kuki and Damien. "Lets go, before Adam leaves for the day. He's not allowed to stay late ever since Kokoro started dating him." She distinctly remembered having that conversation with her cousin, and it wasn't a pleasant one. Kokoro was very...passionate about Adam, and Mei understood why. He was a really good guy, very dedicated...that's why she ended up dating him in the first place. Not that she ever liked thinking about that, and how they ended. Their friendship never really recovered from it, even if they remained professional with each other. But she could still feel a sense of awkwardness around him that made her avoid him more often than not, just so she didn't have to face those feelings.

It wasn't really every day (or...any day) that Adam got Mei in the information department of the HQ, usually he directed his reports to her personally and they'd talk business and that was about it. It was...unfortunate, really, but that was that. It wasn't exactly easy working with an ex-girlfriend that...well, he didn't really like thinking about that, because it was just something they never really got the chance to get closure on.

Work was always busy, but...well, when the boss of the DC comes in, you tend to make some room to nudge in. Even more so, Mei, Kuki and Damien had walked in...which didn't settle well in his gut as he glanced up from his keyboard, adjusting his glasses faintly. "...What's up?" he asked curiously.

Mei glanced over and realized that Kokoro wasn't present, but perhaps she had simply went home early as she sometimes did. She was hoping she'd be here, but it couldn't be helped. Adam would most likely fill her in later. "Nothing good, except that Komoku finally woke up." Mei said stiffly, ignoring that feeling of awkwardness that was creeping over her as it always did when she spoke to Adam. At least she wasn't alone. "It's the reason why he woke up, it's bad news. Nicholas came to see him. He made...awful threats. He's planning to attack DC again."

"Nicholas?" Adam said, brows raised curiously. "How? When?"

"Dunno," Damien admitted. "We were hoping you could find something that stood out, maybe? It all kind of timed together rather well with Jana and the others not even being here, anything out of the ordinary?"

"Uh..." Adam mumbled, glancing to his computer a moment to run a few keystrokes. "I mean, nothing really odd has happened lately, the reports we're usually getting is the same old stuff, nothing-..." he said, pausing a moment as his eyes scanned over it, the lines of text reflecting off his glasses. Wait a minute, bail release? More than a few of them, from where? By who?

Mei raised an eyebrow when he stopped in mid sentence. "What's wrong? What did you find?" She asked as she crossed her arms.

Back
Top Bottom