Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

The Forbidden Cottage (P) -Ladydark/Ritsuke-

Ladydark

The minds master
Detrick was the newly appointed Mage for the King after his mentor had finally passed away. He was working in his room in the castle, mixing potions and enchanting small objects. He was to present to the King later, the King loving magic, but Detrick hated acting like a common magician, he was a Mage. He had been trained for better the parlour tricks for the King, he happens to glance up from his work as young lady and a knight happen to enter his room. He stands up straight "Hello M'Lady... May I be of some help?" He smiles kindly.

Roslyn's eyes darted about the room. There were books, gems and objects she hadn't seen before. She blushed at realizing her intrusion and replied to the man, "Oh no, I'm sorry to interrupt. I'm here with my father and thought I would take a look around," she smiled as she looked upon the mages face and curtsied. " I will leave you to your work, it looks important," she said as she looked over the bottles and objects before him. She could not hide the wonder in her eyes, she had never been near a mage before, let alone see any work of one. Her appointed guard, Glenn, spoke in an attempt to break her gawking, "Let us leave, Lady Roslyn, perhaps you will see his tricks during the formal visit with the King tonight," Glenn emphasized the word 'tricks'. It would seem as though he disliked mages, and more so that he disliked her apparent amazement.
Roslyn blinked out of her staring and smiled again at the man, "I do hope to see you tonight."

Detrick was smiling at her until the guard spoke up, then he almost glares at him and turns around, quickly mixing powders and liquids in a bowl "Yes... You can see me tonight... But I assure you M'Lady... They are anything but..." He turns and waves his hand over a small ball in his and as the crystal around his neck glows it floats her her "Tricks..." The small ball soon starts to grow and blossom into a beautiful red rose, smelling as sweet as ever.

Roslyn nearly squeals with excitement. Her hands gently plucking the rose from the air. The blush upon her cheeks causes her to look down bashful. She nods and turns to leave the room, holding the rose under her nose. Glenn follows her out after giving Detrick an annoyed stare.
Roslyn heads back to her guest room, not looking back at Glenn for fear she may still be blushing. When there she lays the rose on a table and turns to see him wearing a scowl on his face.
"Please don't be upset with me," she lays a hand on his chest, "aren't you excited to be here with me, finally alone?" She playfully kisses him. He puts his hands on her shoulders, "listen, mages are not to be trusted, they are capable of many things, it is not safe to know one"
Roslyn only smirked and replied, "you are jealous, but you shouldn't be," she lays him down. "I love you".
They enjoy each other's company until she is called to the banquet.

Detrick smirks at the guard as they leave and continues his work, he would have a host of 'tricks' for the party tonight, including a few special ones for the the Lady and her guard, he hopes she brings the rose with her. He watches the clock as he gets things ready, putting them all into a bag, the special ones were hidden in his robes.

Later that night, after the feast, everyone gathered in the main hall as the new Mage was to present for the King. The room went silent as he entered, "Greetings Nobles... I am Detrick Hallows... New Mage to our great King..." He bows to the King and the rest of the court before continuing, "I have a great many things to show you tonight..." He glances around the crowd for the Lady he met earlier, then bows his head as the room goes dark.

Roslyn sat giddy during the dinner, occasionally touching the rose she had placed behind her ear against Glenn's wishes. It's aroma was relaxing, even her father said it suited her.
Afterwards in main hall she eagerly awaited the planned events. She hoped Detrick would awe the crowd as he had her. When he entered the room Glenn placed his hand on the small of her back as his other absent mindedly rested on the hilt of his sword. She wondered what fueled his aggression, was it really just jealously or was he genuinely concerned for her safety...
She inhaled quickly when the light left the room. Glenn protectively clenched the fabric were his hand was. Everyone stood uneasy and unsure. The excitement left her hands clasped before her breast, wide eyed in anticipation.

Detrick grins as the crowd gasps and murmurs to themselves, he quickly raises his hands above his head and claps, bringing them back down to his sides slowly, as he does this the room lights with all the colours of the rainbow and glowing white butterflies glitter around the room. "A gift for my King, as a thank you for keeping me on..." He holds a glass sphere in his hand filled with a red smoke and tosses it into the air where it bursts, the glass turning to harmless dust and a mighty cry is heard as a snow white falcon appears and flies over the crowd. He raises his arm and whistles for the bird, once it lands on his arm her moves to the king "Your Highness... I present you a fine hunter..." He helps the bird onto a stand that also just appeared by the king.

Roslyn expresses awe with the rest of the crowd. The colors dance across her face as she takes in the beautiful display. As Detrick holds the sphere she eagerly awaits his next move, twisting her torso to get Glenn's hand to let go of her dress. He drops his hand to his hip. She takes a step forward as the falcon flies over the crowd. Her eyes follow the flacon back to Detrick. He moved so elegantly, it seemed as if he held a higher breeding than the king. She felt insignificant in his presence, and ached to see more.

He walks back to the centre of the nobles and pulls out another ball, this one filled with green smoke, this time he rolls it across the floor and the glass again falls away, the smoke spreading across the floor as the nobles step back "I warn you to fear not!..." He calls out as the smoke takes shape, in to a mighty dragon, standing a full person tall over the crowd. The great beast hisses and looks out over the people, it lowers its head slowly to be in front of Roslyn and sniffs her lightly.

Roslyn takes a step back at the sight of the mighty beast. She senses Glenn stepping up to stand before her but she raises a hand to stop him. She then raise that hand further, looking into an eye of the beast, and begins to rest a hand against it, expecting it to not feel as real as it looks. How could such a thing be possible? She had never seen anything like it. The women and men near her take steps away, except for Glenn of course, but she doesn't fear the beast, she feels honored to be singled out among the crowd.

The dragon growls slightly and presses into her hand before pulling away slowly and standing to its full height, and spreading his wings. Just before it flaps it's wings he transforms into a million fireflies that fly around the room, and slowly disappearing. He smiles as the crowd starts to clap and cheer, he takes a bow to the crowd, then one to the king. "Thank you your highness, ladies and gentleman... I hope you enjoyed my display... I bid you good night..." He drops a smaller ball of white smoke that bursts into flames that quickly die, and he is gone. As the people all rush forward to see if he was alright, a single butterfly remains. The butterfly flutters by Roslyn's face and towards the garden doors, fluttering against the doors to get out.

Her interest in his abilities grows wild as he finishes his display. She watches the butterfly, smiling, and blushing as it comes near her. She follows it and let's it escape out into the garden, she follows, as well does Glenn. He grabs her wrist as she attempts to follow. Annoyed and afraid she will lose sight of the butterfly, she quickly turns to him, "Mind yourself, soldier. Need I remind you of your place?" Her words obviously have impact as he releases her with a sigh, "Please Lady Roslyn, I have a bad feeling about this. Was his show not enough? Let's return, your father may want to introduce you to people."

She looked about for the butterfly, but she wouldn't seem to find it in the darkness of the early night. She angrily looked back to Glenn, "I lost it. Can't you just go back inside, I'll be in in a minute" she began to look once more. Glenn stepped back with a grunt but did not go inside. He kept his eyes on the surrounding allowing distance between them so she would not make his return an order.

The butter fly slowly flys by her again and heads into te garden, as if asking her to follow it. It continues to slowly float deeper into the garden, taking many difference turns to reach the centre, by the pond. As she rounded the last corner the butter fly burst into tiny sparks that slowly fade away. Seated by the pond was Detrick, he was staring up at the sky, not even noticing her there. He stayed that way until the clouds parted and the moonlight touched the water, then he watched the lake. A strange thing happened as the moonlight touched her, the rose he had given her started to glow.

She followed the butterfly and halted to a stop when she saw him. Semi hiding behind an elegant plant she watches him, wondering if it would be appropriate to approach him alone. She believe that Glenn hadn't followed her, even though he did, just behind her enough for her not to notice. She stepped closer to him as the moon escaped from behind clouds. She wanted to speak to him, but for some reason her words were held tightly by a nervous feeling. When the rose started to glow she took it from its resting spot and held it out before her.

As the moonlight fell over the entire rose the light grew brighter until it slowly faded, leaving behind not a rose, but a beautiful necklace. Detrick looks back at the feel of his magic and stands "I hope you like it M'Lady..." He moves around the bench and steps closer, stopping a few feet away from her. "Did you enjoy my display tonight... Sorry about the way I left... Not really a fan of nobles asking stupid tricks of me..." He smiles softly until he notices her guard and takes a few steps back.

Roslyn holds the necklace tenderly. It may just be the sweetest gift anyone has ever given her, let alone a stranger. She smiles as he speaks to her. She curtsies, "Please, call me Roslyn." She looks behind herself to see what he saw that caused him to step back. Glenn makes himself known to both of them, but doesn't come towards them. She looks back to Detrick and closes the gap between them saying, "Do not worry about him, his job is to make sure people are uncomfortable around me," she laughs as she hands him the necklace and turns around, lifting her hair, showing that she would like him to place it around her neck for her. Now facing Glenn in the distance she glares at him. He relaxes himself but stands with his arms crossed.

He smiles slightly at her and does indeed help her out the necklace on, it was a shame she was such a sweet girl, but this was the only way for him to have her. "Oh he doesn't bother me that much... He's just a big bully..." Once the necklace is clipped closed there is a small flash, unseen by her, as the clasp vanishes, the necklace could now never be removed. "Roslyn... Rose Petals..." Once he said those words the gem on the necklace glowed a soft purple and her eyes went blank, he had sent her into a deep trance. He moves around to face her and reaches up to cup her cheek, she was not aware of anything around her at the moment. "Now to take care of your guard dog..." He leaves her standing there and turns to face Glenn.

Glenn was obviously growing uneasy when the man placed the necklace on her. More than anything he didn't like the sense of doom growing in his gut. When the man looked to him he held his hand over the hilt of his sword. "Roslyn..." He always dropped the 'Lady' when he needed to get her attention. She stood still, unmoving, not even redirecting her eyes. He knew something had been done to her he unsheathed his sword, preparing himself for any form of attack. He had never fought against magic before...

"You know... I really don't enjoy killing people... But I knew you'd follow her, so I had to come up with someway to silence you..." He moves closer to him, leaving Roslyn to stand where she was, he pulls another glass ball from his robe and tosses it in the air. "I hope you didn't have anything important to remember my friend..." The ball burst like all the others, only this one turned into hundreds of bees, all intent on attacking him. Detrick turns and heads back to Roslyn, calling over his shoulder, "If you ever remember this... It will be too late to save her... And don't worry... I'll take great care of her..." He takes her hand and drops another fire ball, and they are gone. The bees swarm Glenn and began to sting him, the strange thing was, the stings didn't hurt, what de didn't realize was that the bees were just a delivery system. Once a bee stung him it disappears, when they had all but vanished he would feel dizzy and pass out, his memory of the last month, completely gone.

Glenn attempted to dodge the swarm of bees, trying to understand the words that Detrick spoke. He had no means of defending himself, he looked to Roslyn before tumbling to the ground.
When he awoke unfamiliar faces hovered above him. The sun was hot this morning. As the fog lifted from his mind Roslyn's father appeared before him.

------------------

Roslyn remained in a trance completely unaware of even her own existence.

Detrick and Roslyn reappeared inside a cottage deep in the woods. "Alright my dear... You must be tired..." He leads her to the bed and the crystal then glows a light blue, she wakes up, but the only thing she knows at the moment is that shes very sleepy. "Here... Lay down..." He helps her into the bed and pulls the covers over her, once her head hit the pillow she would be out until he returned. "Sleep well..."

With Roslyn taken care of Detrick returned to the castle so he wouldn't be missed. By the time he arrived back some one was knocking on his door, letting him know he was being summoned to see to a fallen knight.

Glenn is sitting on the edge of a bed with his hands on his forehead repeating himself. "I don't know, I don't know, I can't remember." Roslyn's father is standing with a hand on his shoulder, lines of worry filling his face. As Detrick enter her father turns to him. "Please, young mage, my daughter is missing. Is there anything you can do to help us?" Glenn looks up at Detrick, a slight look of fear on his face as he has never been comfortable with those who practice spells. "I seem to have forgotten the last time I saw her, I'm not even sure how I got here. Is there a spell you can use to help me remember?"

Detrick walks up to him and holds up a crystal, slowly moving it around his head "That's some strong magic on you... I'm afraid I can't help you... This spell can only be broken by the caster..." He frowns and glances to the worried father "I'm sorry... but unless he knows who cast the spell... It can't be undone..." He bows slightly to each of them and leaves the room, headed back to his room in the castle. He chuckles lightly as he closed the door behind him and went to his spell book, "Yes... And the caster doesn't plan on ever removing it..." He writes a letter to the King and has it sent to him, telling him that he will be gone for a while, that he was going to his cottage deep in the woods to meditate, and maybe find the missing girl.

He was still laughing slightly as he returned to the Cottage, he headed into the back room where his Lady lay sleeping. He waves his hand slowly over her, the crystal now glowing a dark green. He spoke softly in another language, "When you awaken you will have no memory of who you are or where you come from..." The crystal glows brighter as he speaks, then slowly goes out, allowing her to wake up naturally. Detrick stays by her side, gently holding her hand and rubbing the back of it with is thumb. He hoped she would still be the kind caring lady she was before, as he had never used this spell before.

Roslyn shifted in her sleep. The movement woke her ever so slightly. She thought, and thought, and tried to think. She sat up quickly gripping covers with her free hand, feeling overwhelming confusion. Her eyes darted all about her surroundings, to and from her captor. "Where, where am I..." She stuttered, "who, who am I?" her back straightened at the realization that she couldn't even remember her own name sent chills along her spine. She suddenly felt the warmth of her other hand being held in his, she jerked away and rubbed her hands together as if it hurt her. She felt very afraid in her confusion, but then looked to him apologetically. She must look a fool, being so clueless.

He quickly lets her hand go and smiles softly at her, understanding her confusion. "I'm so glad you're awake... You have been sleeping for several hours... I found you wondering in the wood and brought you here... You said your name was Roslyn..." He slowly holds out his hand "I'm Detrick..." He smiles at her again and lightly kisses her hand. "You must be hungry... Or thirsty... Can I get you anything..." He turns and summons a glass of water from the table across the room, wanting to see if she still had a love of magic.

Back
Top Bottom