Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Favorite Video Game series/genre

Fallout would probably be my favorite videogame series, I enjoyed both the old one and the new ones.

Castlevania used to be my 'go to' series but since Lords of Shadow... Sadly, that's not the case anymore. I really don't like the direction the series is going in.

My Favorite game series is the Half Life series as my favorite genre is shooters. As of recent however I've really fallen in love with the small yet great Metro series.

I've been gaming since NES days, so I have a looot of favorite video games. DW is just one that's been incredibly consistent in terms of my enjoyment.

@ladyyuna. I will definitely check that out. I have to say unfortunately my knowledge of Shadow Hearts is rusty at best. Its been quite a few years since I played it. Wishing they would release it on Playstation Network.

Been wanting to try the Metro games. I also kind of want to read the book.

@kuro yes it is. Awesome to see how many gamers there are. And I mean gamers as in what we all have been saying. Not the Madden playing, Fifa loving, MLB team picking idiots that THINK they are gamers.

Who can tell me what this code is. I wanna see what people know and think.

up, up, down, down, left, right, left, right, B, A.

Very hard for me to choose just one of anything really. There are so many distinctly different games out there that are all great in their own way. Super Mario Galaxy and Banjo-Tooie are very fun platformers. Chrono Trigger, Paper Mario 2, and Pokemon Gold are great RPGs, and I've also enjoyed Fallout 3 and New Vegas though they don't fall quite in the same category. I have the MGS games for stealth. Zelda and Metroid have all the exploration I need. NieR and Okami are good Zelda clones, and Shadow Complex isn't bad at ripping off the Metroid games. Red Dead Redemption and GTA: San Andreas are have cool sandboxes to explore, too. I'm not quite sure what to classify Jet Set Radio as, nor many of Suda51's games.

I know I'm going to seriously date myself here, but here's a list of my all time favourite video games:

The X-Wing, Tie-Fighter, XvT & X-Wing Alliance series from Lucasarts. Tie Fighter especially, I spent many a happy hour tooling about in a gunmetal grey bowtie potting Y-Wings (that wonderful sound as they break up still brings a smile to my face).

The Star Control Series. Star Control II especially. It is now available in all its glory as a free download if you look up the Ur-Quan Masters through google. It had such a sense of humour and such snappy writing... Support Earth in the Intragalactic Frungy League!

For platformers? The Jak & Daxter series and Sly Cooper series are fantastic. So is Beyond Good & Evil (that sequel is never coming out).

And for Shooters... Terra Nova: Strike Force Centauri. From the people at Looking Glass (the folks who did the Thief series) it was a sci-fi squad based first-person shooter where you fought the evil Terran Hegemony while wearing spiffy and highly modular power armour suits. All manner of features I haven't seen hardly since, like fully remote controlled recon drones, a surprisingly effective squad command system and a very open-ended mission system that let you complete missions more or less however you pleased.

Special recommendations go out to the Wing Commander games and to Total Annihilation for eating up so very many hours of my long ago youth.

These days I mainly play sandbox games (I still like the two Mercenaries games) and FPS'. Far Cry 2 and 3 are favourites of mine. Nothing like firing up Grand Theft Auto: Darfur or wandering around the South Pacific waiting to be eaten by the wildlife. Far Cry 3 isn't at all about killing pirates and slavers. It's all about one man's struggle to survive while trapped on an island populated by tigers, bears, dogs, leopards, crocodiles, komodo dragons, sharks and the gods damned flocks of murderbirds! Nothing is more shocking than walking along a riverbank and waving hello to some innocent local, only to watch him be dragged screaming into the river by a croc while you look on utterly horrified and unable to save him.

*shudders* It's almost as bad as firing up Red Dead Redemption and being subjected to the Great Bear Migration of ought-three...

I've seen things you people couldn't imagine. Bear flocks on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I've watched a Puma's eyes glittering in the dark near the Tannhauser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time... Like tears in rain... Time to die...

*blinks* I... uh... that may have gotten out of hand. Just a bit.

<_<

>_>

*runs*

@Ursus Hey man! Its alright! Let your geek pride show man! Believe me I know what its like.

Trying to find out if love can bloom on a battlefield, where you are totally alone against inescapable odds... Believe me! I know how it is! lol. So please. Every one! Don't be afraid to show you're true gamer side!!

Though there is one thing I do have to state. If you play the shit out of Madden, MLB, Fifa or any game like that? And that is all you play? Please feel free to not consider yourself a gamer. A true gamer are the ones out there who saved the princess, healed the lands, found and defeated the Mother Brain, memorized each and every code you could so when you beat the game and decided to play again you could have just that much more fun, wrote down in page after page of your notebook where you found this item or that piece of heart so you could help a friend/family member when they got to that part. That is what we are. We aren't the Madden rostering, Fifa ball kicking, bat corking idiots that some consider to be gamers. We are the true elite. We were the ones being made fun of.

Sorry for the rant!!!! My bad! Just annoys me when I hear some Maddentard talk about how hes a gamer. Had to deal with it the other day lol.

That concludes this weeks gamer rant. You may return to your regularly scheduled gamer talk and RP!!

Good day ladies and Gentlemen!

@Boxy I didn't play Chrono Trigger until it was remade for the DS and I couldn't believe I had never tried it. I loved it so much! Such a great game. Also I may have mentioned huge Pokemon geek here :3 I can't wait for the new one but I have to buy a 3DS before Oct. T_T

Jonathan Frost said:
Though there is one thing I do have to state. If you play the shit out of Madden, MLB, Fifa or any game like that? And that is all you play? Please feel free to not consider yourself a gamer. A true gamer are the ones out there who saved the princess, healed the lands, found and defeated the Mother Brain, memorized each and every code you could so when you beat the game and decided to play again you could have just that much more fun, wrote down in page after page of your notebook where you found this item or that piece of heart so you could help a friend/family member when they got to that part. That is what we are. We aren't the Madden rostering, Fifa ball kicking, bat corking idiots that some consider to be gamers. We are the true elite. We were the ones being made fun of.

Sorry for the rant!!!! My bad! Just annoys me when I hear some Maddentard talk about how hes a gamer. Had to deal with it the other day lol.

Good day ladies and Gentlemen!

Dammit, I knew I was gonna respond to this. Oh well. Short version:

TL;DR- Anyone who enjoys games is a gamer, anyone who likes the concept of video games and enjoys learning, playing and watching can be just as much of a gamer. There is no set criteria for being a gamer, it's about playing games and enjoying it.

So someone who doesn't play video games you did isn't a gamer? I dislike this term specifically for this reason, it's not like how it used to be when video gaming was considered a niche thing. Everyone has a console anymore, anyone who plays video games is a gamer.

Whose to say that those people who play nothing but Madden or Fifa didn't do it in the SNES days and forward? It's not our place to judge someone's enjoyment of a hobby over the games they only play. Is it any better if someone plays JUST Mario? Or JUST Castlevaina? I don't think so, don't put yourself on a pedestal just because you explore more options and that devalues someone else's desire to play games that they specifically enjoy.

Shit like this is exactly why people make fun of hardcore 'gamers', because it's some little weird circle when there's no need for it. Everyone plays games now, to act like you're in a circle within a circle is completely self destructive to the whole thing.

FYI, 95% of my friends on the 360 used to be nothing but CoD playing, Sports slinging people that you seem to revile. And you know what? They don't know anything else because they don't look, I had them into Minecraft, Terraria, X-Com. Hell, we used to play Sonic and Sega All Stars Racing Transformed for hours.

People like fun games, but people who know what is fun for them don't give a fuck if they branch out or not. Nobody who grew up playing Mario is any less special than someone who bought a 360 for Madden and enjoys playing nothing but that.

Don't be an elitist to make yourself feel special that you grew up playing video games, I've done it since I was five years old and this mentality is simply beyond my comprehension. Sorry for my rant, or if it sounds particularly vicious. I just get tired of hearing it.

kuro_bara said:
@Boxy I didn't play Chrono Trigger until it was remade for the DS and I couldn't believe I had never tried it. I loved it so much! Such a great game. Also I may have mentioned huge Pokemon geek here :3 I can't wait for the new one but I have to buy a 3DS before Oct. T_T

I think I might have played the Playstation version very briefly as a kid, but didn't actually go through it all and realize how great it was until I downloaded it on the Wii a couple years ago. Of course even then I ran into a game breaking glitch that prevented me from getting the best ending. x.x But other than that, yeah, I love it. It's a bit too easy if you grind enough, but then I should be glad because most RPGs I play tend to kick my ass. :p

Well I can say I liked the first two generations of Pokemon a lot anyways. I eventually played Sapphire and finished it and it just didn't have the same kind of magic to it. It didn't have as much depth, but then maybe that's because I was no longer a child by the time I played it, like I was with the others. I haven't played Black or White though so I don't know if those were any good, and I haven't seen much of X or Y. I guess I kinda wish they'd make a main Pokemon game for a console, rather than Stadium or Pokemon Snap or other gimmicky games, because while handhelds are fun, I just prefer to play games on more powerful systems that don't need their batteries recharged.

Not that I can really buy anything at the moment, what with still being jobless. >.< One game I know for sure I'd want is Killer is Dead but it doesn't look like I'll have any money for it.

I'm also jobless, so Ive been spending my time trying to finish White Knight Chronicles 2 and playing Hexxit (mod for Minecraft) I've been building a fantasy village with a friend there. We are going to do something like a D&D session in adventure mode for a group of friends once we are done. We have boss fights and everything. Me and my husband and my friend each play a boss character and have different story lines. My fight takes place on a pirate ship! I can turn invisible, poison people and cause blindness. Im in the middle of building a giant church -_- I've been eyeballing designs from pictures online. It was not easy XD.

I really want FFXIV next month so I am trying to find some ways to make some money. I also have to go a province over to run a booth at a Gaming Expo in two weeks that I will need money for. SO many things, so little monies haha.

I'm not too much for full series game liking, but I do know for sure that I liked the early series of Sonic, and around mid series of The Legend of Zelda (namely around Ocarina of Time's timeframe). I could sit down with my Nintendo 64 and my Sega Genesis, and play Sonic 2 and The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask all day~

I see I struck a chord with my own rant. Much apologies but you do have to admit. We earned that right to call ourselves gamers for the constant ridicule we took as children for it. At least I did and so did most of my friends. Especially when we played Dungeon's and Dragons. Took heat for that even more.

@yoru I loved OoT and Majora's Mask. They were pretty awesome. Wasn't a big fan of Wind Waker but Twilight Princess is a pretty epic game. Even has a continuing storyline, takes place a long while after OoT. As for Sonic? Gimme Sonic and Knuckles with the extra cartridge any day! woo! lol

OoT and MM were amazing, and I liked Wind Waker a bit due to it's approach to cell shading. I wasn't too fond of Twilight Princess, though it was merely because the storyline wasn't as good as the graphics had set up for it. It was still a good game, but it could have been better in my opinion. As for Sonic, I personally favor Sonic 2, as I could just play that game again and again and again.

Sonic has been a weird series for me. I started with the Sonic Adventure 2 port on the Gamecube, then Sonic Adventure DX, then Heroes, etc. It wasn't until a bit later that I played any of the classics. Even after years of trying to get better at them(even managed to finish Sonic 3 with seems to be the shortest of them, but then really it is just half the intended game), I still just can't seem to get any better. I'm not very good at older 2D platformers anyway(have only managed to finish Super Mario World, some of the Kirby games, and got near the end of Donkey Kong Country 1 and 3), but it still seems a bit broken, or nowhere near as perfect as some people seem to claim they are. Sonic 1 would definitely feel more fair if the spindash had been there. What with the emphasis on speed, it'd seem like they'd reward you for it rather than putting things like enemies or spikes or pits directly after a look or something like that. It's less of a problem in the 3D games where you can see what's ahead of you(and that I think Sonic Unleashed got perfectly) rather than having to be super cautious and slow to the point where it feels like a not so great Mario game with more physics.

I definitely prefer the newer games, though I know that trying to add serious angsty teen anime esque stories to them, complete with a lot of bad voice acting and dialogue has ruined at least part of them. The games are better off without stuff like this. Never mind that a lot of them have been buggy or just seemed to have low production cost. There are even some I do hate, much more so than the older games. I loved Secret Rings, despite many other people who seem to hate it, but I loved it for the control scheme and leveling up and using different kinds of skills for different missions, and generally just the imagination that went into creating each of the levels, which I guess is why I was so disappointed with Sonic and the Black Knight - it was extremely bland vanilla fantasy, extremely short, changed the control scheme for really no good reason(why give us one that makes it seem like it's there for precision motion control when all it has is waggle???), terrible bosses, bad music. I didn't even bother to finish it.

Sonic Chronicles had looked interesting but it turned out pretty awful to me. The quality was near about as poor as a flash game, and beyond that it was just not very interesting as far as most RPGs go. Certainly nothing like Chrono Trigger or Paper Mario. Sonic 4 episode 1, well, even if I didn't like the old games as much, I could still tell that this game was a sorry excuse for what was supposed to be a sequel to them and only really there for nostalgia's sake. Sonic Generations was a bigger version of this, and while I won't say it's bad(in fact I'd say it the most solid and well built 3D Sonic title we've had), it is pretty short and lazy to just take a bunch of past content and try to sell it as completely brand new. Sonic '06 was one of the worst games I've ever played, but at the same time I got a good laugh out of it and had fun with some really big bugs and glitches at the very least. Haven't played Sonic Colors and am not really interested in trying it. At this point I would've said I'm done with the series, but I think I may give Lost World a shot just because it seems like there's a lot of innovation there, even if Sonic Generations felt like a system they could stick with.

Back
Top Bottom