Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Favorite Video Game series/genre

My favorite video game genre is Survival Horror. I love me some gory scariness. When it comes to actually picking out my favorite games... that's going to be a tough one. It's like choosing which kid is your favorite out of 500 kids.

I don't particularly have one set genre or video game that is my #1 favorite, but currently and recently I am/have been into but not limited to the following:

League of Legends
Kerbal Space Program
RPG Maker VX Ace
Minecraft
Borderlands 2
Left 4 Dead 1 & 2
Day Z
Diablo 3: Reaper of Souls

Some games that I would put in my all time favorite, or hall of fame would be:

Final Fantasy 7
Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
Lunar: Silver Star Story
Zelda: Link to the Past
Super Mario World 3
Skies of Arcadia
Diablo 1 & 2
Warcraft: Orcs & Humans
Warcraft 2: Tides of Darkness
King's Quest series by Sierra
Space Quest series by Sierra
Quest for Glory series by Sierra
*anything else by Roberta Williams*

This list could go on and on and on, but I think I'll leave it at that for a bit. X_X

Favorite game Genre would be RPGS or turn based strategy.

Series is a bit harder so here is a list
Shadow hearts
Lost Kingdoms
Final Fantasy (until around 7 and 8, I just didn't like Cloud and Squall that much)
Dot.Hack
Super Smash Bros
Guilty Gear

1. Star Ocean Series
2. Sonic the Hedgehog Series ( Cause it is nearlly as old as me!!)
3. Legend of Zelda Series ( Ocarina ot Time and Twilight Princess being my favorite 2.)
4. Final Fantasy Series ( IV, VI, VII, X, X-2, XIII, and XIII-2)
5. Breath of Fire Series ( 1 & 2 )
6. Megaman Legend Series.

There are so many good games and series that go completely overlooked that it is hard to choose anything notable from them. If I had to pick a single one, though, I would pick the Armored Core series of games that I believe have now been retired, much to my disappointment. If you owned a Playstaion 2, Playstation 3, or an X-Box 360 and you never played these games then I suggest finding a used copy somewhere and giving them a shot. If giant robots are your thing, you will find no better game. Armored Core shames every Gundam and Mech game that I have ever played.

Bioshock really hit home for me as a video game on it's own as well as a series for one main reason: it's the first game that made me care about the characters in a genuine way. I could never bring myself to harvest a little sister. I just never could, even knowing the additional ADAM I'd have collected. Of course it wasn't really necessary anyhow, but still...I felt so sorry for those girls, and I couldn't bring myself to do such a horrible thing to them. Aside from that, the atmosphere was very cramped which is something I personally like in horror-genre games, along with the fact that you were in the watery depths of the ocean, where no one could hear you scream. The gunplay in the game is fantastic as well as the diversification of your enemies and the ability to research them to become a more formidable foe against them. The relationship between the gatherers and guardians also just made me really happy, even knowing it was heavily mentally conditioned, it just kind of warmed my heart to know the lengths Daddies would go for the Sisters' safety.

Aaaaand my heart melted when I got to the ending (Good, of course).

I also liked Catherine because it almost awkwardly so hit a little too close to home. Not the cheating situation, as I've yet to be in a relationship at all, but more-so the general indecisiveness of the main character kind of leading after my own issue with it, as well as his ideology that easy is best and that the comfort zone is the safest. I'm not afraid to admit that I stay in my comfort zone because I'm afraid to come out, and this game kind of made me confront those feelings head-on.

If I was asked this 4 years ago this would be my top five.

1. Guitar Hero
2. Pokémon
3. Halo
4. Super Mario Bros
5.Mortal Kombat

As of now, time changes it tremendously.

1. Legend of Zelda (except Wind Waker and Spirit Tracks)
2. Mortal Kombat
3. Super Metroid
4. Pokémon
5. Super Mario Bros

Cannot believe on of the most immersive games series of all time has yet to be mentioned.

The greatest game series of all time (in my opinion) is the Souls series. It's one of those games that is just so challenging, so demanding, so tough but at the same time so rewarding, immersive and awesome. The fact you have to fill in the gaps of the lore yourself (but you can easily do it by reading the item descriptions), that you actually care about NPC's, the rewarding gameplay, the atmosphere and the graphics are all things that make it one of the greatest game series of all time.

Also, to a post earlier talking about how you're not a gamer if you play Madden or Fifa a lot, that's not true. Just because they don't like the same types of games as you doesn't make them any less of a gamer

The survival horror genre is probably my favourite. (Or psychological horror)

That being said, the Silent Hill series is definitely a favourite. From 1-6 each having given their own story. Now, a lot of SH players are very protective of their series and this I can understand. Normally, 1-3 are said to be the best since Team Silent worked on them and ever since 4+ the games changed. I have to say that regardless as to their change, I still find interest in them. I may not have been a big fan of Homecoming, but I did happen to enjoy Downpour unlike a lot of people. It was the character psychology of Murphy. Getting into his head was just all around interesting to me.

It still stands though that Silent Hill 3 remains my favourite. Heather is a badass.

I'd have to agree on the Silent Hill thing. I didn't like Homecoming (something about it felt contrived) and for me, Downpour was unnecessarily combat-focused (The monsters in the prison at the endgame were a bitch to fight off)but as far as writing it was a good game. y favorite in the series HAS to be 2 though. It introduced the fans to the iconic Pyramid Head, it was superbly written, had creepiness in just the right amounts at just the right places, and the moral implications of whatever ending you happened to get, especially the true ending (the voice actor reading the script for that scene actually had to do several takes because they began choking up due to how morbid and heart-wrenching it was) really made you think, something that (in my experience) the series has yet to successfully replicate yet. MAYBE Silent Hills next year will be able to do it, though. Hideo Kojima is pretty good at writing, and Guillermo del Toro is a master of mindfuck directing, so I'm very hopeful for it.

Adventure games are my favorite genre. I would have to say that the Legend of Zelda is my favorite series. Other series I like are Final Fantasy and Pokemon.

Strategy Games are more my thing. The planning, the processes, the concepts, the various game mechanics and often steep learning curves...I love immersing myself in that vortex. Here's my list, including current and previous favorites, though the list isn't limited to all the games I play.
Currently playing:
Crusader Kings II
Empire: Total War

Other:
Command & Conquer (all of em)
Medieval II: Total War
Rome: Total War
Victoria II (best)
Crusader: Stronghold
Civilization III (stuck in the past)
Knights Of Honor

I am sure everyone here excited for the new Dragon age :D except the aweful keep system of course... blah data transfer I miss you!!

I'm a sucker for Bioware RPG's KoToR Mass Effect Dragon age.
I love the demon's Souls series!
I was a Smash bros fan, but really have fallen off of that wagon kinda hated every release since project M.
and FFXIV :3 it takes up a lot of my time grinding and playing :D It was XI before that

Hmm Well I love good old Final Fantasy. I have played pretty much all of them and 10, 7, and 8 are my personal favorites.

I also like the Persona series. Persona 3 and 4 are my favorites.

I play GTA 5 also online mostly and really like it.

Then I also like both Dragon Age games and can't wait for the new one to come out..

Shavella Moonbrook said:
I also like the Persona series. Persona 3 and 4 are my favorites.

Then I also like both Dragon Age games and can't wait for the new one to come out..

Persona 4 was amazing, Persona 3: I only played FES, which.. I liked the ending better (Where Minato falls into a coma rather than falling dead) because it sets up the non-canon game Persona Q (Coming out on the 25th.)

Dragon Age comes out tomorrow, and I have my Inquisitor's Edition paid off. YES!

Gosh I can't wait for Inquisition to come out. Somehow the trilogy of Dragon Age reminds me of what Nagato in Naruto said,
where the first is a classic masterpiece, and the second is a slight failure, and the third instalment is going to be great.
From what I see of the clips and the videos, Inquisition looks to be a good game and returns back to the whole DA:O again.

Anyways! My favorite would be:
Dragon Age series.
Mass Effect Series.
Starcraft series, for now.
Diablo.
Final Fantasy (up to Seven, please, and maybe up to Ten. Anything moving forward is kinda eh for me.)
Chrono Trigger.
Guitar Hero.
Pokemon series (I'm drowning in all 700+ Pokemon, help!!!)
Warcraft series. I don't play WoW anymore, unfortunately.

For now, I'm concentrating more on League of Legends, Heroes of the Swarm (just played the alpha),
Defense of the Ancients 2, and my Guild Wars 2 (my thief seriously needs rehashing.​

Psychological horror like Silent Hill is basically a fucking art- the music is incredible. I have a good appreciation for the horror genre when it gets it right.

GTA for physics engines and sandbox and running people over and explosions and shit

Sandbox games are generally my favourite, even though I haven't played some of the best - Fallout for example, which is ike...an RPG in a post-apocalyptic/dystopian world. I love multi-choice for interactions too, so Skyrim was a fuckton of fun.

Otherwise I really loved Prince of Persia: Warrior Within as probably my favourite game of all time but PoPs after that were dogshit omg lol

Though IMO The Evil Within is probably the biggest waste of money and such a fuckup of a horror game. Watched the entire thing through and never seen such a shitty piece of writing and bad voice acting and no payoff for such a big price, such a great introduction and hype, etc. Such a shame. Had so many opportunities to be good, even great.

My favorite series is Larian's Divinity, and my favorite genre is roguelikes. Let me just put on my hipster glasses...

For me it is a hard to pick a favorite series, but I guess it comes down to Fire Emblem, Zelda, and Chrono Series

For me its Mafia and Darksiders

Mafia 3 comes out next year

and well Vigil Games declared bankruptcy so there may NOT be a DS3 to look forward to which sucks cause DS2 WAS AMAZING!

Back
Top Bottom