Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Notice Post count requirement for sending/receiving PMs to be implemented

I don't mind. I'm a little confused on one thing though. I think I have more than 3 posts. When I start a conversation with a new member though. I have to wait about 20 mins after I make the conversation to reply to someone else. But with other members I do not have to do that.

To reply, or start a new conversation?

The former is definitely a bug, but can bring down the threshold for people to ignore it.

Ive been experiencing the same thing. Maybe I dont have three posts, but what exactly qualifies? Im not much of a public person, and primarily deal with private messages. In which case, Im not exactly sure why I need to wait 20 minutes to make a new conversation after just one sent PM.

It shows you have 22 posts. You should meet the criteria by a ways. Are you still experiencing issues?

It's actually not, all things considered. It's a fair barrier to prevent trolls/spammers from being able to come onto the site and start mucking things up.

While it's understandable that those who value their ability to be unnoticed are miffed, you have to understand that this isn't the first time this has happened. A lot happens behind the scenes because we don't to bring the drama to the boards and try to deal with it so that our members don't have to.

All things considered? This is tame, to be perfectly honest.

Pretty much what Raz said. The safety from harassment has to take precedence here. While it might upset a portion to have to bump their post count up in order to break past a security threshold, the inconvenience or social discomfort takes a backseat to member safety.

There are ways to reach the post count with little effort and a fair amount of privacy. The most 'eyes on you' thing you can do is post an intro thread, but you can post within an intro thread of others. If someone posts an intro, simply stop by and say hello and welcome them to the site. It doesn't reveal anything about you. You can also go down to the games section and post a silly response to something, be it a 'count to a million' post or something else that is trivial. Your privacy is still in tact and 3-5 posts is nothing. Some of the most creative writing minds around are on this site, but can't find a way to quietly bump up to 3-5 posts in favor of member safety from clear cases of harassment?

It's a reasonable request to go through the steps to help prevent harassment. With proxy programs and VPN's and the like, anyone banned can change their IP and come right back to continue their harassment. This process makes it safer. The only way to truly ban someone is through a MAC address ban, and most community platforms don't permit MAC addresses from being exposed due to privacy, so these steps and levees is the next step in ensuring safety. This is about safety, not about forcing people to post when they don't want to.

You're making it sound like somebody's life is threatened. Give me a break. It's not hard to block or ignore people

You're making it sound like somebody's life is threatened. Give me a break. It's not hard to block or ignore people

Exactly what Razgriz, A_Thorny_Prose and The Goodman said.

Also, I'm a little curious why you'd have such strong opinions, considering you only joined today.

Honestly, I'm tired of the moaning. Vekseid, and all the other staff put in hours upon hours of volunteer work to create and maintain the site for our benefit, and which wouldn't be here for any of us to make any use of if it weren't for them.

Then what? We can't even show a little respect/appreciation for their efforts and time by adhering to a relatively simple request (whether we like it or agree with it or not) without bitching and whining about it?

Since it'd actually require less time and effort just to make the three posts than it would to complain about having to make the three posts, doing so strikes me as it being driven by nothing but personal interest. Self-absorbed and selfish; at best.

Last edited:
Now it has been said that it easy to circumvent it by posting 5 times in other peoples threads.... well if you can circumvent it... then why do it in the first place? o_O... why cant it be only with new accts that have no pm's or posts at all? then you could stop the harrassments, as well as retain loyalty...
It's not circumventing it, it just saying making 3 posts (that's right, 3 posts) is super simple, and shouldn't disrupt anyone's life. Unlike the extremely rude and disgusting trolls and harassers, who make the forum a less welcoming place.

Thank you to Veks, Kara, and all the other staff for all the hard work you do to make the forum a lovely place to visit.

People who get offended by internet trolls should honestly not consider breeding, for humanity's good sake. Modern societies already have enough special snowflakes as it is

I support the rule. I do understand objections against it, but they don't change my opinion.

A definition from trolling, taken from Wikipedia, is "a person who starts quarrels or upsets people on the Internet to distract and sow discord by posting inflammatory and digressive, extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community (such as a newsgroup, forum, chat room, or blog) with the intent of provoking readers into displaying emotional responses and normalizing tangential discussion, whether for the troll's amusement or a specific gain.”

Why would we want it to be easier to enact this type of behavior? If a person in my home were engaged in this behavior, they would be invited to leave and not return. The same goes for my place of business. And the same went for my fraternity house. And if I found a method through which people could more easily gain access to those places specifically to engage in that activity, I would take steps to minimize that vulnerability. That is what had happened here. I don't understand why this is a problem.

I do understand that it may place a burden on some people to deal with a different protocol. Security and convenience have always been at odds and that isn't going to change in the foreseeable future. I understand that those that have never posted are not as vulnerable to this specific unpleasantry. If they are truly contending that making three posts is too onerous a task for them to manage for the sake of those that are vulnerable, what does that say about them? I get that they aren't a part of the problem, but there are times in societies that people have to do things that do not directly help them, but rather help the society as a whole. And this is a society.

People who get offended by internet trolls should honestly not consider breeding, for humanity's good sake. Modern societies already have enough special snowflakes as it is

Have you ever considered that a place just doesn't accept you, and perhaps moving on?

I'm guessing not. See you on your next ban.

Is there any reason I now have to wait 10 whole minutes between messages sent?

This should only occur for starting new conversations. If it is happening on normal messages let me know.

This should only occur for starting new conversations. If it is happening on normal messages let me know.

Ok thank you. It does seem to only be the times I reach out to someone after seeing something in their searching thread that seemed to be a fit with me

Thank you for the explanation

Back
Top Bottom