Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Colliding Worlds (BurningWillows & Greeneyed23)

The contract was lain on her tail, even as she continued to lie there in her own blood with glass, her arm clearly broken. She couldn't even sit up.

"I can't," she croaked, lying there, "I can ...barely move. Or...breathe."

Her eyes went to the large jar and she hissed. Of course. Why would this ever go her way. Hopelessness continued to settle in her as tears streaked down her face, "I will not...go in that jar. I ...will not be...subject to that...again. I want...I want my legs back. I cannot...even write...my arm is fucking broken!"

She wanted to tell them where to stuff it but speaking hurt. She just lay there, watching the blood trickle out her body. Maybe death was the best answer now. It would ease the pain, the agonizing torment. She hated them, hated herself. Hated life.

~

Lairia stared at the skull but did not touch as tears welled in her eyes again, "I will find vengeance for you Rey. I will search for the justice you deserve until my last breath. Rest now."

She closed her eyes and softly put her hand on top the skull. A light began to flow within it until it surrounded it, burning it down to ash that lay in her palm. With her other hand she gently clasped it over her palm holding the ash and began to whisper words in a long lost language, her body still and her eyes closed. When she opened her palm again there was a shiny red garnet lying there, looking dazzling. With a twitch of her fingers a string of gold appeared in thin air and wrapped around the garnet in an intricate vine like design, before branching out and connecting in a large loop, becoming a gorgeous necklace.

"Now he will never leave me," she whispered, pulling the necklace on so Rey's stone rested beside the dark purple and black stone talisman on her neck. She touched the other talisman for a second, remembering it was on then dropped it not yet ready to tell Elaya what it was.

"The red will remind me of his eyes," she smiled, brushing a tear away as she gently took the gold laced braid from around her head that looked like a circlet and yet was soft like a necklace. She held it so the crystal blue gem on the middle of it that always hung on her forehead now lay in her palm.

"A long time ago I fell in love with a vampire," she started, her voice quiet for only Elayas ears, "He was sweet on me like Rey always was, but he was also a young vampire and so held little wisdom or maturity. I guess I fell for him in that aspect. He felt wild, and new, and spontaneous. After losing my mother as a child-"

She stopped, the wash of that pain almost making it impossible not to start sobbing again. She swallowed the pain, her voice more shaky than before as she continued, "After I lost her I didn't want to find love. So I met those I never thought I'd be compatible with. And yet somehow he still caught my heart. And when my father vanished with nothing more than a note saying he was safe but could not bear to live on the farm any longer, I panicked. I searched everywhere and this vampire, he helped me. I never found my father but I did fall in love. And then a new surprise came upon us. A child. I know, vampires cannot breed, but it happened. Something in my blood activated something within him. I am the only one of my kind, so who was I to know how my body worked."

She wiped more tears away, the story bringing her only sorrow as she looked at Elaya, "she was a beautiful little girl with golden honey hair and bright blue eyes. The second love of my long life. We settled down on a farm close to the land my parents once owned and we were happy for a time. Really happy. Sure the vampire was still immature and we fought often, but we never lost sight of the importance of our child.

Our problem was, when we fought he would go see his friends, a bunch of drop beat vampires who stole and suck the life out of whichever whore they found that night. A lowlife meager gang at best. I hated them. But he would go see them and it would only cause the fights to grow worse, as I never wanted him or my daughter around those men. I don't believe he ever meant to settle down. I think he saw life as a party before I met him and he never let that part of him go. As bad as the fights got though, he never left. He loved me and our daughter and she was what was important to both of us."

She closed her hand around the gem, clinging to it.

"There was another reason we lived on that small acreage. It was safe. We were hidden from prying eyes. Magic castors and vampires alike would condemn a relationship between a vampire and one of their own, especially one like me. I had grown up with that hate. My mother had died to protect me from those wishing to kill the "taint" on their kind. And I worried the same for my daughter. So we hid where no one could find us. Or so I foolishly believed. It was a night in...in The dead of summer when it happened. I had left her window open so the breeze could cool her room. I had been in a fight with her father, so he was in the city with his friends while I remained home. I had cried myself to sleep that night, ashamed of the fighting. It must have been the witching hour it was so dark but I heard the screams. I remember every vivid detail. Waking and running to her room, seeing the blood on her bed. But not finding her. The window. They had snuck through the window and taken her. I had searched everywhere, beside myself. Eventually I found the letter in her room they left."

She opened her hand and a piece of parchment appeared much like her box often did, "I've never let this go over the decades. A reminder of why I did what I did."

She handed over the note for Elaya to read. It simply said:

We must rid the stain that taints our kind from this world. She will face judgement from our circle. Do not follow unless you wish to share her fate.

"It had been vampires who took my daughter," she explained, "back then they had a Circle much like the casting community has now and had then. These were their oldest vampires who dealt with all matters for their kind and delivered justice when they felt it due. They kept their kin in line, or so they boasted. And they had stolen my daughter because of who her parents were."

Her eyes grew dark, "I of course did not heed their foolish warnings. I tracked them to where their Circle resided: Versailles. You may have heard the rumours of this or the plenty of stories, the speculation of what happened that day. The town was hit with a meteor, or a crazed witch blew herself up with the city in her midst. I will tell you the true story. I was there. I stepped into that palace with the intent of rescuing my beloved daughter and running away. But what I found..."

Her voice broke, her eyes looking away, as her voice grew small from the pain of the memory, "she was merely five. A babe. That hair, how many times had I stroked that beautiful hair only to see it limp then, stained in her blood. She lay at their feet...she...she lay there and that bleak little face...those eyes staring at me, begging me to save her, demanding why I hadn't protected her. My baby was...was dead. They took her life."

She let out a son and hastily wiped her face with her free hand before going on in a stronger voice, "So I took theirs."

The wind around them picked up and the trees shrieked with it, a storm brewing in, but whether it was from Lairias pain or from their Dear Duldrea listening she did not know. She just continued on speaking, her eyes dark and clouded.

"I slaughtered every one of them I could find. I destroyed their home, burnt thier precious palace and levelled the city to rubble. I had the blood of hundreds on my hands, thier blood coating me as I tore thier hearts out, but it did not bring my baby back. It was me who did it, but there were no witnesses. Those who escaped were too fearful to name me and the only one who stayed had been her father...Jamie. His name was Jamie. He followed me in as much pain as I but he only watched the carnage. I believe he tried to stop me at a point but I was too far gone."

She opened her palm and looked down at it, "I do regret it. I regret the anger I felt and how much death I caused. If given the chance I would have traded my fate with my daughters. Allowed her to have a life. They took the only good I had in my life and destroyed it. They murdered an innocent, defenseless girl because I was her mother. I lost my will to love that day. I held my baby in my arms for days. I never let her go and I never have."

She held up the gem, "Her eyes had always been the brightest blue. I've carried her with me all these years. My baby girl."

She placed it in Elayas Palm, "Jamie and I didn't stay together much after that. He was ashamed of my actions and I was too distraught with her death and so closed off I refused to love him. I just couldn't bear to loose more. That was near a century ago but it feels like it was yesterday. I tell you all this so that you understand why I am here and what I have done today. Nickens took Rey from me but he has done far worse."

Anger dripped into her voice a deadly glint tinted her eyes, "that man was in Versailles. He was in the Circle. The only member who escaped along with a few of his men. That...that monster has taken far more from me than he can ever repay."

Angry tears streaked down her face, " he murdered my child and lover. He's taken the only love I've ever given and destroyed it. He must die Elaya. And he knows I am here. I went and confronted him. I killed a dozen of his men and I plan to do much worse. I will not let that man breathe another day while my daughter is dead because of him. You must understand this. And know that now he knows I'm here he will triple his army, if not more. He saw what I could do and he will protect himself."

She held up the dark stone hanging from her neck, "I levelled a city with this stone. It holds all the power I need. I promised myself after what I did that I would never wear this again. I killed hundreds if not thousands and this stone aided me. It fed into my anger. I wear it now because I lost another due to the same man who condemned my daughter. I will destroy him Elaya, him and his ranch. And I will not take this off till he or I am dead. "

She knew Elaya could break the contract if she wished now. Lairia was no more the good guy than Nickens was. But Lairia persisted to continue, to let it all out.

"I've had this stone since before I met Jamie. It is another story how I came to require it but it has been in my possession this whole time. You must understand I hate the thing. It corrupts you. But had I given it to the Circle, they would know I was responsible for Versailles and if be executed. Till now I hid from my fate. But no more. I hired you to take me to Ocean City where the Academy and the Circle reside. My hope is to hand over the stone and give my story, and let them decide my fate. I've lived too long with this pain to remain alone and in guilt. I didn't know how to tell Reynault without the whole story and now he will never know. So I tell you. I tell you in hopes you understand why I have done what I have done and you do not judge me as I judge myself."

She fell quiet, staring at the tiny blue teardrop gem in Elayas Palm for several as she let herself cry. Finally she spoke again, "I wish she could have met you. A brave warrior and princess. She would have loved you. I never even told you her name. It...it was Annabelle."

Nix smirked. "Your blood will seal the contract. And tell you what. You can come stay with me if you want. I and some friends have some...toys to show you."

Nickens spoke now. "Sign the contract. You will not be helped until you do so. We didn't break the tank. And we can't trust you until you are bound to obey."

~

Elaya stared as Laria spoke, then at the blue stone once it was placed within her hand.

She waited some time before speaking. "Annabelle. Means graceful. And loving beauty. i am sure she was beautiful...this stone smells like her."

She held up the stone and sighed, then looked at Laria. "As you might know the Circle of Magi have often used the Metuzi as their enforcers. They sent me and some others to Versailles to investigate. We never found any answers. but i did find a scent...a scent I had never identified until now....Now i know who and what it was. i only knew then it was young and innocent."

She gently lay her hand on Laria's shoulder, then lay the stone in the sorceress' hand. "You have every right to kill Nickens. And i won't stop you. But...we have to save Tatia. I can feel them hurting her. And i know they have a powerful magician. I really have no idea how that whole hierarchy works, but the stories about him are frightening. I need you Lairia. i need you to help me get through the barrier, to save Tatia. Then Nickens is yours. We can handle the numbers."

She folded Lairia's hand over the stone, then looked up into the sorceress' eyes. "I am beyond sorry for what happened to Rey. I hope you can find your peace in some way when we get to Ocean City. But right now there is another innocent little girl who has been kidnapped by selfish murderous idiots. Will you help me help her?"

"And the minute I sign this contract you force me to live in a jar," she hissed under her breath, her voice just a whisper now, "I want a room Nickens...I want a bed. Lock me in it if you wish, but I refuse to get in that damned jar."

~

"Of course, that is why I told you this," her eyes cleared and grew serious, "So you know that with all my intentions I will do my best to end this and not loose another life. And I have the means to, if you trust me with my decisions."

Nickens considered then spoke. "Agreed...but after a short time in the jar. I don't have anything else to contain healing waters in. Will you endure it long enough to heal?"

~

Elaya considered her for a long moment then nodded. "i do. But i need to know what you have planned. We need to work together. As powerful as your are i know what and who Nickens is going to bring in. There are powers there even you won't be able overcome."

She gently squeezed Lairia's shoulders. "Especially if you are weakened. I saw that display. Are you physically safe to ...work? I do not want to risk your life. I have had enough death of people I care for."

Tatia sighed, considering it. She really could not move and her body felt like death. If he was going to heal her at least she could enjoy the room. Finally she nodded.

"Alright, I'll do it. And when you take me to my new room there best be paper and a quill there so I may write this letter to my friends telling them off."

She prayed they listened. The one thing Nickens knew Tatia was not lying about is her want to end the useless deaths and battles. Each one weakened her beyond repair, chipping away at her sanity as well. At least for that matter, her and Nickens were on the same page.

With her good arm which unfortunately wasn't her writing hand she signed blindly, unable to sit up. She knew it was probably a bunch of scribbles instead of a name and Nickens would be likely to make her sign another when she could actually sign. It was the thought that counted at this moment. She was showing her willingness to sign, in an effort to save her own life and others.

"There," she groaned, rolling her head to look at the monster who had defiled and beaten her many times over, "I'm guessing your doing the honours?"

~

Lairia nodded, rising to her feet as she realized the sun had disappeared, "Rest assured my only plan thus far is to bring us more allies and strengthen our small numbers. I cannot say more until I know what I am bringing to the table for you Elaya. But I am most fit to work."

It was a lie. She was still pathetically weak in energy from all she had castes that day. The fact she could walk around after only 3 days was impressive. But it was the stone granting her the magic she needed. Even weak with the little energy running inside her, the stone magnified it, making her as strong if not slightly stronger in magic as she usually was. Give it time, Lairia knew her powers would return over the next few days and the stone would magnify them further. They just needed time.

Nix snarled and left.

Nickens spoke softly. "No. Nix is to stay away from you. I see no reason to further harm you now that you have allied yourself correctly. As i said you will have to dwell in the jar for a short time."

The attendants picked her up and carefully sprayed her down, then slid her into the jar, which lowered into the ground. she was left at the base and coated with healing oils and soaps. Seawater began to flow into the jar rapidly, cleansing her more fully and setting her healing quickly.

~

Elaya stood as well. "As you say. but take care Lairia. I don't want you harming yourself. War is what the Metuzi do. I can't fight one without healthy warriors."

She gestured toward the barn. "Want to come see Sera? She likes meeting new people. Forgive me. She likely won't remember you yet. She was just reborn."

Tatia remained stiff throughout but she went along with it, allowing them to clean and heal her. The jar was tight and if she had claustrophobia she'd probably be in sheer panic right now. As it was the tight space did unsettle her and a large tremor of doubt filled her that he would follow his word. After all they had done to her, could they blame her for being untrustful?

~

Lairia nodded, "as I said I am fine. You needn't worry about me. And of course I'd like to see her. She died? I saw her flames before I fainted I do believe. But I didn't realize she had given her life. I am glad she can rebirth, for your sake and the groups."

When she had healed, true to his word she was brought out, laid on a carry stretched and taken to a small but comfortable room with a clean bed, no windows, and a bathroom. "Make yourself comfortable." The contract, a quill and a vial of her blood lay on a dresser, waiting for her second signature.

~

Nickens rubbed his hands together. Oh this one would be useful. What she could make his people do.....

~

Elaya nodded sadly, but drew the sorceress into the barn.

Sera was still asleep, and Gerry smiled and waved to Lairia before shuffling from his chair to bed and dropping into slumber himself in moments.

Elaya sat on the bed stroking the girl's hair and cheek. "I wouldn't get too close. She's even hotter now than she was as an adult."

Tatia was relieved when they brought her out. And even more relieved when true to his word he delivered her to a room with an ensuite bathroom. There was no window, but the fact she had a bed and four walls over a cold glass tank. Sitting down on the small wooden chair at the desk she let out her breath. This could likely be the last place her eyes would ever befall. She prayed it wasn't but what she was about to write would send away the only people in the world likely to try and rescue her. But if they keep killing his people, it will keep destroying me.

With shaking hands she signed the contract. With that out of the way she began to write the letter. She hated that it was in her blood, but there was nothing to help that now. At least they weren't forcing it out of her body at this very moment.

Seraphina and Elaya,

Attached to this letter will be a signed agreement with Mr. Nickens to leave the ranch of which you protect alone for now and all eternity. In return for his agreement, you must quit all attacks on the ranch and its people. Breaking this contract will be be punishable by Lodestone law. Please take the agreement, and end the violence. There need not be more useless suffering.

She paused, seeing how cold and calculating her words were. She needed to make sure they knew it was her. To understand.

...useless suffering. I will be staying with Nickens, per part of the agreement. Please do not attempt to come for me, or it will breach the contract. He has given me a room and bathroom now. He plans to keep me comfortable and the merfolk cannot reach me here. This is the best we can hope for. Please...go enjoy life for me. And tell Rythert

She began to cry, her tears splotching the paper as she forced herself to continue,
...tell Rythert that I will never forget the time I got with them and they will always be precious to me, for now and to the end of my days.

Yours Always, Tatiana

She signed her name and the tears flowed harder. She wanted to write about the horrors here, and how much she would miss them but none of it would do any good. It would just convince them to stay. After re-reading it she decided to add an extra part at the end.

P.S, I will be okay. But these attacks are crippling me. I am connected to Nickens men, and when you kill one, it hurts me. Please quit the violence. Enjoy life. I love you all.

That had to be enough. Letting the letter dry she folded it and the contract up and knocked on her door. Nix was there, stealing away the two pieces of paper and holding out another for her to sign, a smaller edited contract with the same outline to send with the letter. She noticed a few pieces were missing from the smaller contract, but they were pieces that would worry her group so she said nothing. Signing he grunted before slamming the door shut. Returning to her bed, Tatia could do nothing but wait now, and so she fell into an uneasy sleep.

~

Nix read over the letters before sending them for Nickens. At her letter he noticed the bottom and quickly ripped it off, leaving out the part about what was harming her. Nickens wanted Tatia on their side, and if she thought she sent the whole letter and they continued their attacks, it would turn her hopefully against them. At least that was what Nickens had said. Nix cared little for the strategies. he just carried out his orders.

Crumpling the end of the letter and throwing it away he handed over the edited contract and letter to one messenger who raced off to the small ranch, and another messenger with the contract to Nickens.

Lairia sat on the chair Gerry had slipped from and stared in awe at the small red head girl.

"I've never truly met a Phoenix before Sera, although I had heard of them, I did not believe they were real. She is marvelous, isn't she?"

Elaya purred and snuggled closer into the girl. "You truly have no idea Lairia. A marvel in every possible meaning of the word."

She kissed the red hair and smiled, watching Sera sleep.

~

Narxis and Amitiel pounced upon the messenger, and though they did not kill him, he would never return to Nicken's service, too terrified to dare. They both read the letter and sighed. "Elaya is not going to like this."

Narxis took the letter, sniffed it, and scowled. "I should burn it....but she'd be furious. But we'll tell her later. And point out that tatia cannot possibly know everything going on. And also the ripped off bit...Nickens is playing with out young siren..."

Amitiel nodded. "He's using her youth against her."

Lairia smiled but said nothing, only watching the two. Soon enough Heziah appeared along with two women she had never met. Introductions were made before all three found spots to settle in, and the one called Arya pulled out a bottle of vodka, taking a swig of it.

Elaya stood up and hugged Jeziah. "Thank you brother. For sparing lives but also for burning. The forest is already growing thanks to you.... and i need to borrow you for a moment."

She gently lead him outside. "I want you to take Sera for a long training tomorrow. I have a lot to do and some of it might be unpleasant. i don't want to upset or scare her. " She bit her lip then looked into his eyes. "Am i helping you the right way? I really don't know. Should i just send you two away and fight this without you?"

Jeziah followed her out, and became surprised at her honesty.

"You are doing fine. Seraphina hasn't seen the horrors and she seems alright. But I definitely will take her for the day. Perhaps an overnighter in the forest so you have time to do what is needed. You can always track us if needed and I'll be within hearing reach of course. Would that ease your mind, dear sister?"

She nodded. "i'll miss her but i want her safety. And she definitely needs more lessons. Did you notice how much she has grown just since you left? Gotta be at least three inches...." She shook her head. "She's so beautiful Jeziah..."

She looked up at him. "How do you bear it? I want to just run away with her forever. You've done this...how many times? How?"

"Your making the smartest choice for her Elaya. Know that. And she does. Indeed she grows fast."

He paused and smiled, hearing her last words, "Because I know the woman she will become and it's my honour to get her there. Just as she feels honoured to raise me each time. When you see her fully grown and her memories of you swim back, think of that beautiful sweet moment she will wrap her arms around you and whisper "I love you". Hold on to that, and you'll make all the right decisions. "

She nodded, then smiled at his encouragement. "i dream of that day. And for her actually say my name....But...."

She sighed again and looked up at him. "How do you, both of you, deal with this rebirth and growth system? I mean isn't it a little ...creepy? I'm seeing Sera vulnerable and young and...well she'll never see me like that. It doesn't seem fair to her."

Jeziah shook his head, "would you rather she had died that die and not come back? Our rebirth is a process, one gifted to us, and it is what keeps us alive. I'd rather a million rebirths than facing the day Seraphina no longer exists."

Elaya shuddered at the thought. "i can't deal with a world without her....good point. But..." She looked at him and took his hand.

"I was bisexual for years Jeziah. But over time I came to hate men. Gerry could tell you how hard it is for me to even touch a male. But please understand... How do i properly convey how much this means to me? This honor of seeing her grow? I cannot mimic that. i can't give that to her. Do you think it will cause problems? I don't want to hurt her, but i also don't want to disappoint her. I don't know what to do. How do i share with her what she has with me?"

Jeziah blinked, looking down as she took his hand than back at her, "Elaya...what makes you think you have to share anything to make her continue loving you? Her rebirth is a part of her nature, just being here to help her is enough for her to know the full extent of your love. She will remember every thing you said, every hug you give, every word of advice. Her memories won't go away when she regains her old ones. She already knows how much this means to you. She will never expect anything but your love in return."

"Jeziah, Elaya," Octavia stepped out, nodding back into the barn, "Our young Sera has woken and is quite scared that neither of you are around. You best get in here."

"I will take her in the morning," Jeziah added as her held his arm out to Elaya in an effort to be kind, " In a day's time if you and Octavia would like to visit us, that would work best. Sera will need her fencing lesson, and you'll be able to see us."

Elaya studied the floor, then moved into him and gave a hug, then nodded. "Thank you Jeziah."

"And thank you Octavia."

She then went into the barn, and right to Sera. "hello beautiful." She bent and kissed the girl's forehead. "Did you have a good nap?"

She cupped the girl's cheek, then stroked her hair and neck. "Sorry for not being here sweety."

Jeziah again showed surprise at the hug, but followed her inside with Octavia on his heels, as Arya slipped inside. Social groups weren't her thing, and the barn was starting to feel a little crowded. As she found a nice nook under a tree to relax and sip the alcohol she had swiped from the demon, inside the barn Sera was all smiles for Jeziah and Elaya. True to her word, Sera was indeed taller, although she didn't look much older. Jeziah knew by morning that would be much different, her rebirth seeming to go at a steady pace.

Elaya picked the girl up and onto the bed, sitting her on her lap, and began to straighten and brush her hair. "So Octavia tell me something. Have you ever worked on weapon disarms and the like? Those are my specialties. Gerry i was the best he'd seen at them. Granted a little violent with it, but..."

Once she had brushed out the red hair, she began to braid the hair in a long fall of linked strands of fire.

She looked up at Jeziah. "This might be an odd question but have you ever been married Jeziah?"

Octavia nodded, "I've mastered many sword techniques in my lifetime. A hobby, if you will. I would love to see your moves though. And you will get to see Miss Seraphina's. She's a quick little one."

Octavia took a seat on the chair and Jeziah relaxed on his bed, watching as Elaya braided his sisters hair. As she asked him he shrugged and shook his head.

"There was one once that I almost wed," Jeziah began a small story, "But phoenix's mate for life, with the exception of Sera. Our souls cry for their mates, and when we find it we do not let go until our last breath. I thought I had found mine, but she fell in love with another. I am thankful she realized it before we got too far. Poor Sera though...all these centuries she's been looking for that connection, and many thought she'd never find it because no other Phoenix shared her sexual orientation. Of course she proved them all wrong when she found you. A soul mate worthy of my sisters heart."

Elaya actually blushed and smiled. "Thank you Jeziah."

She cuddled the girl and squeezed her again. "I know she's quick....you know i once saw her set fire to three different groups of people all several hundred yards apart int he space of a second. but she also learned how to palm cards in only an hour."

She kissed the girl's neck. "My clever girl." Sera giggled.

Elaya looked up to Octavia. "Do have to say im a bit worried. i was best with knives and the like."

"Your quite welcome sister."

Octavia smiled, having not heard this story yet if Sera, "Dhe is indeed a quick one. Agile and smart."

"And sassy," Jeziah added with a laugh.

Octavia smiled and shook her head, "yes and sassy. If you are used to knives we may start with them and work up."

Back
Top Bottom