Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

SAMOK (EveningSky & G23)

He smiled. "Babe I'm fine. I was angry that he threatened you. but then more worried that you were hurt."

He let her pull his shirt off, then kissed her again. he had locked his door.

"But so we are clear, I'm rarely sad anymore. That's your fault. I won't lie and say i feel one way when i don't." He kissed her again, deepening the kiss again.

He had needed to change his shirt anyway. Now what happened was up to her.

Samantha stared into the deep blue hues that only Ezra possessed, eyes that she now saw in her sleep, the colour she now considered her favourite.

"I remember as a little girl..." She began, her arms hanging loosely around his neck their lips inches apart due to their previous kiss.

"...Being fascinated by your eyes. I remember thinking to myself I'd never seen Indians with blue eyes. To me that trait only belonged to white people" Samantha blushed, a soft pink tint on her cheek. "A trait I wasn't born with, everyone in my family has green eyes and I have plain ol' brown...got it from my dad's side of the family. I was told my grandparents had brown eyes, I never knew them though...they died before I was born." Samantha chuckled slightly, realizing that she'd gotten off track

"Sorry for the rant..." Her mind seemed to run on Ezra's family, and wondered if he too had been like her. The topic had never been talked about and she hadn't ever seen them.

"Is your mother's parents...around still?" Her question came cautious and tender, just in case it had been a sore subject. While waiting on Ezra's response, Samantha laid pressed heart against his golden bare chest, her head resting on his shoulder. The feeling of his warmth and smell of his sweat oddly soothing to her. "Gosh, I could fall asleep right here" Samantha snuggled into his welcoming arms "If you don't stop me I wouldn't move"

He held her close and smiled. "You are welcome to sleep here babe. And my eyes actually came down through my dad's bloodline. Legends say that our family has had blue eyes for centuries. Even before white people showed up."

He grinned and kissed the top of her nose. "And yes and no. My mom's mom is in a rest home. She doesn't like my father, and refuses to meet me or the girls. And she and mom never got along. She didn't know her father so no in that he was never around, but yes in that he could technically still be alive."

He stroked her hair and neck, then raised her up as he leaned back, letting her rest fully on his chest as he lay his head on the pillow. "You've had a long day babe. A little nap won't hurt you."

Samantha's head laid on Ezra's chest in the most comfortable way. He was not too hard despite the chiseled form he possessed. To Samantha Ezra Willowfoot felt fluffy, and she fitted perfectly along his body. Thinking back to him previous words, Samantha commented, not caring what he thought of her statement.

"Your mother doesn't strike me as the type of person too be estranged from her mother...she's so loving..." Samantha glanced up at Ezra, whose head was perched on a pillow, a little above hers. "I can understand why she didn't like your dad, my mother would not approve of us dating if you were still in the club....so you can imagine for getting married." She sighed.

"But then she dated your dad...so she shouldn't tell me anything" Samantha smiled at that "Can you imagine my mom and your dad...." The teen shuddered at the thought "He's so scary big and she's so delicate, doesn't seem like my mother's type at all. My mom seems like your dad's type though, because our mom's are a lot alike in their personalities" Samantha shrugged.

"You can correct me if I'm wrong though." Curious Samae peered at Ezra.

"Does he ever...talk about her?" She thought for a moment "...You know, how they met, what she was like and a stuff, what made him like her....why they broke up" Samantha laid her head back down solemnly.

"My mom never talked about it, at least not too me. And when both our parents are together your mother and my father seem to not care about it at all. They all act like it never happened, it was always so weird to me. The fact that they could have easily had children together, an nowt are with other people is scary."

She met his intense gaze with that of her own, carefully choosing her words with what she was about to speak. "If somehow we end up like our parents....I'll never want to see you again...especially not with another woman...and with kids"

Samantha stared at Ezra a little longer, a rAther serious expression in her eyes "I doubt you'd want to be sipping tea with me and my husband, I could be mistaken. Maybe you're like your dad, but I'm not my mother.." Samantha bit her bottom lip and forced a smile "We should go down, before we miss the girls song"

With poise she raised herself from her boyfriend's chest and smoothed her ballet dress down. "Can.You take me home.right after? I've been super tried lately"

He stood with her and kissed her deeply. "Yes I will take you home. And also....no i couldn't bear to see you married to someone else. With someone else's kids."

He kissed her again, then lead her downstairs where the girls were standing before the bandstand, and singing a Native song. They have lovely sweet voices, and harmonized well. Red was playing a flute like instrument, and Ilysa was tinkling bells to create a melodic rhythm.

Ezra smiled and turned her, beginning a gentle dance step. The song was lengthy and beautiful, the girls belting forth with power and emotion. Many couples were dancing, including Thomas and Fauna.

Their angelic voices carried with the cool night wind, the love of singing shone with their smiles and careful delivery of each note. Samantha had been enthralled, to see such girls singing a song she could not understand, but nonetheless made the hairs on her hand raise. Both Red and Ilysa played their instruments like they'd done it a million times over. The pride of their three granddaughter's singing the native language showing in their loving expressions.

When Ezra gently turned her away from his sisters, it was then she had noticed most couples dancing, and Ezra himself began leading her in a delicate sway. "This is very kind of you" She muttered placing her head on his chest as they moved with absolute ease.

"Why? What do you get out of me dancing with the most beautiful and wonderful woman ever? Who i happen to adore."

He squeezed her gently as they moved with the music, letting her settle into his chest and arms, his cheek on her head, his eyes almost closed at the perfection of this moment.

Samantha chuckled into his chest "Dont talk,you're ruining the moment" She teased. Knowing Ezra was well aware of how his undying adoration made her cringe at times. Not too mention she felt an uncomfortable feeling being this close to him in front of all his family and peers. Their intimacy thus far had only been reserved for private meetings. Dancing felt quite intimate to her, the feeling of being close with all their clothes on quite foreign.

The music stopped and so d the dancing couples. Samantha glanced up at Ezra with a small smile. The young girl could sense his want for her, and nothing else mattered in that moment. Her lips met his, gentle tongue, arms barely reaching around him, even as she tip toed.

"EW" Came Ruthie's remark to Samantha's actions.

Embarrassed she pulled away, biting her lip in shame. "Sorry" Samantha apologized to both Ezra and his family."I should go..." She glanced at Ezra then approached his sisters, parents and grandparents. Bidding them all a goodnight.

He smiled, but obeyed, still holding her, moving gentle and smooth for her.

He had no such concerns. He was always being watched and noticed. To be seen with this beautiful lady, his one love, that meant everything to him. So he danced, letting her enjoy the moment.

He kissed her back happily, but then growled at the girl's reaction. He sighed at Samantha's but nodded, following her. When she had said goodnight he helped her into the car, got in himself, and in no time was at the gate to her house. "Did you have fun babe?"

"Meh...it was okay" Her face turned serious "I don't like the boys from SAMCRO. They're so..barbaric. Probably not the right word to use but you get what I mean." Samantha intentionally decided to continue on her tyriad "And your God awful cousins" The blonde placed her right hand across her chest "Tragic....all of them. We're they born and bred in zoos?" Samantha chuckled. A little at Ezra's expression, which turned quickly into full blown laughter.

"Relax.." She reached over, giving him a quick peck "I'm only yanking your chain" Gently, she pecked his lips again "I had the best time, more fun than I'd imgained. Thank you for inviting me.." Samantha turned and glanced at her house, throng driveway up to her front door which was being illuminated by the the lamps at either side of the front door.

He kissed her back. "Love you."

He turned into the gate, and headed for her front door. She would have to check in no matter what, and whether she asked him to stay or not he wanted her parents to see that he had kept his word and gotten her home, in this case well before the set curfew.

Samantha smiled again, glancing at her door, a littler nervous jitter settling into her stomach. "I should go inside..." The curtain in the Beckett's foyer shifted and a pair of eyes peered out spotting the young lover's sitting in the driveway.

"That's probably my dad" Samantha pulled the lever on the door, pushing it open as she slid out. "Thanks for bringing home" Gently closing the door behind her. "I guess you're selling at the green market tomorrow right? It being Saturday and all" Samantha hesitated a little before she flashed Ezra another smile "I'll see you on Monday I guess...have a fun weekend" She walked carefully to the front door, turned and waved, then disappeared inside.

"Youre home early" Marcia commented "Is everything alright?" She asked noting her child's flushed expression.

I miss him

Samantha nodded "I'm fine, just a little icky, gonna shower and head to bed"

Marcia nodded "Okay..." watching Samantha ascend the staircase She's pregnant.. she thought, closing her eyes in concern. Needing no reinforcing of Samantha's sexual activities with Ezra.

Ezra waited outside until she had gone in, then sighed. "Love you Samantha."

Then he put the car into drive and went home and to bed. He had begun missing her the moment she was out of his sight. He found that pretty wild. He knew it messed with her head sometimes, but he couldn't help it. He loved her. Unconditionally and completely.

Weeks had gone by in Wilmington , everyone falling into the same old routine. With the exception of the reigning princess, The good girl Samantha Beckett. Her body had been changing rapidly for the past few weeks, Samantha found herself engaging in high intensity cardio in form of aerobics at the local gym and making rapid laps in her backyard pool every night before bed.

There was no other remedy to her problem, the panties in her draw could barely fit and her breasts were no longer B's, she was now sporting a cup larger. In Samantha's eyes she had been simply eating too much, she no longer wore sundresses, her signature attire had been replaced by large sweaters and knee length flared skirts. Her shoes had been kept the same worn brown leather boots. Many questioned her choices and Samantha simply smiled, giving everyone, including Ezra, the one time she had seen him...the same excuse. Everyone made changes when in a relationships, this was her's.

In Samantha's head it seemed plausible, she was not the gym type, but the sweater and skirt were not that far fetched. When everyone came to same conclusion, the questions stopped, and Samantha proceeded as she wanted.

On this day however, Marcia took matters into her own hands. Knowing exactly what was wrong, she stood at the door, watching her daughter descend the stairs, gym bag in hand.

Samantha frowned at the sight of her mother locking their front door "Mom?"

Marcia took a deep breath and turned back around to face her child "Go to the kitchen Samantha..." Her voice was steady, her heart anything but.

Samantha cautiously nodded, moving toward the kitchen where she saw a pitcher of cold lemonade and a glass waiting. As told, she sat, awaiting further instructions. Marcia took the seat opposite, pouring Samantha a glass.

"Drink"

"I'm not th-.."

"Fine.." Marcia stared at her little girl for a moment, unable to envision her naked with Ezra Willowfoot. The elderly blonde prayed as a mother would, to have her baby girl wait till marriage before partaking in carnal pleasures. What a fool am I, she thought. With a boyfriend such as Ezra, there was no waiting. After all, she did date his father when he had been Ezra's age. If anyone was to figure it out, it would be her. "Samantha..." Marcia began "I know I haven't taught you about..sex...and boys and the things it entails"

"Mom what are you getting at?"

Marcia sighed "I regret not paying more attention..." Her eyes welled.

Samantha frowned in confusion "What do you mean mom? I did sex ed in school."

"I know. But as a mother I should've protected you"

"From what? Mom you are scaring me"

"From Ezra..." Marcia stared at her

"You know Ezra would never hurt me"

"I know that, but they never mean too hurt us...these things just happen"Marcia slid an unopened pregnancy test toward Samantha.

The young blonde did not need to be told what her mother was suggesting. The box laying on the table spoke volumes. "I'm not.."

Marcia nodded "You are...baby I've been there....three times. You are my daughter..." Marcia reached across, gently caressing her hand "...I can tell you, that you've not had your period for two months."

Samantha held the box in her hands, staring at it, like it was the end of her life. "I had a hunch....but I didn't want to believe it."

Marcia sighed "You need to be sure...so take the test"

She glanced up at her mother "And if it's positive...."

"Then I'll take you to an out of town abortion clinic..." Marcia's voice came clear and stern.

Samantha Beckett nodded with resignation and clutched the box tightly in her pale white hand. Walking slowly to the downstairs bathroom to confirm what she and her mother already knew.

"And Samantha..." Marcia called as her daughter had been about to enter the toilet.

"Yes Ma?" Came a soft voice

Marcia Beckett's eyes narrowed with the ferocity of a wild lioness "...Don't you ever open your legs for that boy again...Ezra Willowfoot can stick his cock and cum in someone else's daughter."

Samantha knew when her mother was angry and disappointed by the words and tone she set forth. Marcia Beckett was not one for vulgarity, but in rare moments she did use it...meant that she had been enraged, and would stay so for sometime. This proved true in the coming weeks when Samantha and her mother would make trips out of town too see a doctor and do ultrasounds. They drove in silence till Samantha spoke up one day, expressing her feelings after Marcia had just booked an appointment for the abortion.

Marcia swung off the highway and mashed a hard brake onto the emergency shoulder in shock "You're what?"

Samantha steadied herself and repeated what she had just said "I am keeping the baby mom"

Marcia shook her head "No you are not. Samantha Beckett you are going to get rid of that baby even if I have to drag you there myself so help me God."

"No...I'm not getting rid of it" Gently she rubbed her stomach "Ezra would be mad..."

Marcia placed a hand on her forehead and took a deep breath "Samantha you are not ready...Ezra! Is not ready."

"Would we ever be?"

"Being a parent is a 24/7 job Samantha. How can you both do that and go to college....it'll be the end of your dreams"

Samantha shrugged with a small smile "I don't mind..." She glanced down at her currently small tummy " I'll think about it some more.." She gently touched her mother's hand "I won't tell him anything, I'll just think about my options a bit more.....and then decide"

Marcia nodded with a small smile "Okay" She hugged Samantha dearly, rubbing her back as she whispered 'okay' over and over, trying to reassure herself more than anything...little did she know.

The very next day as Samantha joyously rode her bicycle from school, for the very last time, a black van drove slowly behind, turning when she turned, swerving when she swerved. The driver of the dark tinted black van sped up along side Samantha and the young girl frowned, slowing a bit to allow the van to pass.

"Go in if you're in such a hurry then" She yelled, watching it disappear down a back road. Samantha shook her head "Stupid drivers" She turned down the two way road that led to her house, fields of corn on her left, streets and houses to the right. Samantha barely made it half way when the black van rammed into her from a side street, sending the bicycle and it's rider pitching into air, the young blonde hitting a pole off the road before her body fell to the ground. Blood trickled from her head, staining her face and clothing.

By the time someone spotted the unconscious girl the black van was already out of Wilmington, and out of state. With a bloodied unconscious girl laying in a ditch at the side of the road, the emergency units were called, and soon after the Beckett's. Marcia and Sean immediately rushed to the hospital, Sean Beckett trying his best to console his crying wife as he prayed for his daughter's safety. After what the paramedics described as a hit and run. But the attempt on Samantha's life had been no accident.

Ezra had not been called. Not officially. But the ambulance driver was one of his cousins.

So when her parents arrived, Ezra was in the observation room.

He was still marveling that Samantha had thought him so stupid. He had seen dozens of pregnant women. He had called her, dropped off presents, and snuck into her room for kisses and hugs many times in the last several weeks. He had been kind, loving and attentive in all things, and let her maintain her fiction about what was happening to her body.

He would have been lying had he said he wasn't a little scared. but he was also excited.

Now though....He already knew the baby was gone. No one had told him, but she had been so badly hurt that it would be a miracle if she lived. That precious little life inside her couldn't possibly survive this kind of damage.

So while he watched them, he wept. No force on earth would get him out of that room. Fauna intercepted her friend with a hug to prevent any possible confrontation. She was no fool. She had noted the girl's changes as well.

She had been furious with her son. And she had not missed the fact that Marcia wouldn't talk to her anymore. But now was not the time.

And more importantly in this state Ezra might kill someone. She knew her son. Only Samantha might claim deeper knowledge. And he was enraged. He knew someone had tried to kill his fiancee. And he knew who. Almost for a certainty.

But he would wait. If Sam lived, he would let things slide. But he would be talking to Marcia. If Sam died...

Marcia graciously returned Fauna's hug, despite how she felt inwardly toward Ezra, Fauna had been a good friend since before Samantha and Ezra had been born. Her smile faltered as she tried appear friendly toward Samantha's visitors. Marcia wondered, but did not bother asking how the Willowfoot's were there before she and her husband. Sean only receiving the bad news a few moments ago. Now he was on his phone again after seeing his little girl on the hospital bed, so many tubes attached that her face had been obscured. What had not been blocked by the tubes however were the cuts she sustained to the face, arms and legs.

Sean Beckett held himself together and returned to making phone calls, ordering his men at the station to have road blocks set up on all the major roads leading out of town. Not knowing the culprit had already fled the state with his cash and promise of safe passage abroad for he and his family. Marcia clenched the strap of her handbag tightly as she watched Samantha fight for her life. She knew what happened, Marcia knew he try again, and this time he may have succeeded. She glanced at her husband, tears in her eyes. Knowing not how to tell him who had been behind the attack without telling him of her secret. If Marcia did not tell him, then Henry sure would, and she knew Sean would not forgive her either way.

"I need some air..." Marcia stepped out of the observation room and into the hall,taking deep breaths, trying to contain herself.

"Mrs Beckett?" A man in a white coat called

"Yes"

He smiled slightly "Hi, I'm your daughter's doctor. If you can just step back inside and I'll talk to you and your husband"

Marcia shook her head "There's uh...something that I'd prefer Sean not to know right now"

The doctor nodded "I understand..." He steadily himself then spoke "Samantha is not in any critical condition but she is very badly injured." The man paused then opened the file in his hand "She lost the baby..." Marcia nodded slowly, indicating for the doctor to continue "Samantha sustained many injuries to her face and arms, but her legs..." The doctor gave Marcia a sad look " Whatever hit Samantha came at her with intent, it see me as if the vehicle had a heavy front because the bones in her legs are quite damaged."

What..." Marcia frowned "What do you mean?"

The doctor took a deep breath "Her recovery is going to be long and the most she'll be able with her right leg is walk, with therapy running will be easy. But she would never be able to play sports or dance again."

His words struck her like a bullet, Marcia allowed her tears to run, for the baby and for Samantha. She knew how much her daughter was beginning to warm too idea of her own little boy or girl. But that had been something Samantha could have loved without. Dancing on the other hand, was as dear to Samantha as the air she breathed. From ever since Marcia brought home Samantha's first pair of ballet flats, that had been the young blonde's world. Her dream of becoming a professional dancer, working on Broadway and many other world class stages.

"She is going to be so ....angry" Marcia whispered "Please do not tell anyone.."

"Of course, Our patient's medical situation is not discussed with anyone but family. I will be sure to only speak to you or Mr Beckett about Samantha condition."

"Thank you" she smiled gratefully.

I'm sorry..." The doctor offered a sympathetic smile before he had too leave.

Marcia sucked in her tears and entered the room again "Fauna..." She smiled dearly, pulling her aside. "I don't mean to sound rude or harsh in anyway. But Sean and I need to be alone at the moment, what Samantha needs right now is her family." Marcia hugged her "I hope your family can respect my wishes"

Ezra's eyes caught Marcia's, and the burning ice cold rage reminded her that he knew about Henry. And the fact that he was near her husband warned her he had just come back into the room.

Fauna started to nod but Ezra spoke up. "Actually Mrs. Beckett, i need to speak to you first please. Something Samantha wanted me to tell you. Excuse me sir."

Thomas noted something in his son, and moved forward, offering Sean any help he could want or need from the club.

Fauna watched, alarmed as Ezra moved to Marcia, catching her arm and lead her down to an empty observation room. He refused to speak until he closed the door, then double checked below. They were alone.

He turned to Marcia, and his eyes were still ice cold. "You were going to have her abort our child. You wouldn't even let her tell me."

He glared at her, so hurt words could never express. "You can hate me all you want Mrs. Beckett. Cut me off from her as much as you like. But I love Samantha. With all I am. And I could tell there was trouble."

He pointed toward Samantha and growled. "But that we could have worked through. But this?" He was trembling in rage now. "This is on you. You never told Mr. Beckett did you." He didn't wait for an answer, as it was obvious. "You left Henry able to attack her. And now not only did she lose the baby, she lost dance...I know. you're going to blame that on me. It's my fault for being an Indian, and a Willowfoot. Because I knocked her up."

Tears began to escape his lids again. "I bought us a house Mrs. Beckett. I still plan on marrying Samantha and moving us into that house. I wanted to watch her dance for the rest of my life. And maybe it is partially my fault. But you never warned her about her own uncle. You let her keep riding that damn bike, and made riding with me almost a crime. And you never told your husband. Well i will tell you this. I am family too. Samantha is my heart and soul. She carried my child. Meaning she holds some of my blood. For all of time. You want to try to kick me out, go ahead. But otherwise I'm not leaving. Because I will be there when you tell her that she can never dance again. I will be there for her therapy. And nothing short of killing me will stop me."

He moved to the door, then paused looking back at her. "My dad and you must have a really big secret huh. Did he knock you up too?"

He had thought about it alot. Marcia rabid reaction to him and the baby. It had to be sourced in her own past.

He studied her face. "Yeah...yeah he did. But you never told him. Cuz he would have torn up heaven and earth to get that baby and take care of her....you know Mrs. Beckett you may not talk like Henry....but you hate us just as much don't you? You think we're all just a worthless Indians. The redman causing trouble for you white folk...." He shrugged. "That's fine. But we didn't try to kill Samantha. Twice now. That's your family."

He walked out, shutting the door before she could say anything or reach out to him, and returned to the observation room. Fauna studied him, then looked to Thomas who was now making plans for a search with Sean.

Thomas gave a slight nod. They would not be leaving.

Ezra moved to the window and pressed a hand over it, tears still streaming down his cheeks. "Oh Sam...I'm so sorry."

Marcia listened to Ezra, never offering one word of defense. How could she, the blonde woman took a seat in a nearby chair. Her eyes closed and mind focused. She could not falter, not now. She could tell Sean about his brother, not yet. She could not tell Ezra Samantha's danger had more to do with him than he knew. Marcia sighed, feeling sorry for no one but her daughter. "I tried.." Marcia whispered. She tried talking to Samantha, to Thomas, even to Ezra himself. Samantha had not been in any real danger till she and Ezra had started dating. Now he mentioned both of them getting married. Marcia rubbed her throbbing temples with a sigh. If being labeled a racist was what it took for her to keep Samantha safe, then Marcia Beckett would gladly take the title.

With purpose the beautiful blonde entered the observation room again, taking a deep breath. "I need you all to leave" Her eyes met Sean's "Samantha doesn't need all this right now..." She whispered.

Sean nodded and glanced at Thomas and his family "I think you all should go, I'll keep in touch" He smiled a little.

Marcia turned toward Samantha and never looked back, her hands clenched tightly on her purse.

Ezra didn't hear her. the nurses were getting frantic around Samantha, and that had all of his attention.

His parent's knew the posture all too well, and Fauna touched Marcia's arm. "Let him stay... he'd just fight to stay anyway. He won't be a problem."

Ezra leaned forward, pressing tighter against the glass.

Marcia Beckett sighed "Your son...." She closed her eyes, shaking her head. "Whatever" Marcia mumbled. "Doesnt matter now" the woman eyes Ezra suspiciously, curious as to how he knew Samantha could not dance again. She had not even told Sean yet, because they were currently try still trying to stabilize her vitals. Nurses and doctors running in and out, Samantha flat lining twice.

After an hour a doctor came into the observation room, his eyes immediately finding Marcia and Sean Beckett. Sean moved to his wife's side giving the doctor the okay to pass on his news.

The man sighed and gave the couple a sad smile "I am sorry to be the one telling you this....but your daughter has slipped into a coma"

Marcia's eyes widened, and Sean rubbed her back soothingly, his own heart aching for his little girl.

"There is a chance of her coming out of it within a month or two, or it can take up to a year. We aren't sure when Samantha will wake up, that is all up to her at this point. The most you can do now is be there when she does, thing like reading to her, singing her favourite songs, telling.her stories of happy moments....these things somehow help comatose patients. It's not the information, but constantly hearing a comforting voice. " the doctor checked his chart " she will be moved to ward four room twenty-one by tomorrow." He looked back at the Beckett's "I suggest you go get some rest, you've had a long day"

Sean nodded " Thanks doc"

"You're welcome" The man pased a polite smile to the Willowfoots before exiting the room.

As soon as he did Marcia broke down in Sean's arms, and so did he.

Ezra moved by his would be in-laws, and caught the doctor alone, well away from doors, which was the mistake Marcia had made, giving him a place to hide and eavesdrop. "I'm her fiancee. Can I see her?"

The doctor started to argue, then studied the large sorrow fill young man, and nodded. "She is in recovery for now."

Ezra knelt by the bed and held her hand. "Sam...i love you so much. Come back to us. Come back to me. We'll get through this together. Your mom and dad. The boys. my sisters. We all love you. We will do anything to help you. Just come back." He kissed her hand tenderly.

He stroked her temple, then he leaned forward to speak into her ear. he didn't know what he would say. He began telling her this story. "There was another world before this one. But the people of that world did not behave themselves. Displeased, the Great Spirit set out to make a new world. He sang several songs to bring rain, which poured stronger with each song.

As he sang the fourth song, the earth split apart and water gushed up through the many cracks, causing a flood. By the time the rain stopped, all of the people and nearly all of the animals had drowned. Only Kangi - the crow - survived.

Kangi pleaded with the Great Spirit to make him a new place to rest.

So, the Great Spirit decided the time had come to make his new world. From his huge pipe bag, which contained all types of animals and birds, the Great Spirit selected four animals known for their ability to remain under water for a long time.

He sent each in turn to retrieve a lump of mud from beneath the flood waters.

First the loon dove deep into the dark waters, but it was unable to reach the bottom. Ptan, the otter, even with its strong webbed feet also failed. Next, the cápa (beaver) used its large flat tail to propel itself deep under the water, but it too brought nothing back. Finally, the Great Spirit took the kéya (turtle) from his pipe bag and urged it to bring back some mud.

Turtle stayed under the water for so long that everyone was sure it had drowned.
Kyea - turtle

Then, with a splash, the turtle broke the water's surface! Mud filled its feet and claws and the cracks between its upper and lower shells.

Singing, the Great Spirit shaped the mud in his hands and spread it on the water, where it was just big enough for himself and the crow. He then shook two long eagle wing feathers over the mud until earth spread wide and varied, overcoming the waters.

Feeling sadness for the dry land, the Great Spirit cried tears that became oceans, streams and lakes. He named the new land “Turtle Continent” in honor of the turtle, which provided the mud that formed the land.

The Great Spirit then took many animals and birds from his great pipe bag and spread them across the earth.

From red, white, black and yellow earth, he made men and women. The Great Spirit gave the people his sacred pipe and told them to live by it. He warned them about the fate of the people who came before them.

He promised all would be well if all living things learned to live in harmony. But, the world would be destroyed again if they made it bad and ugly." He kissed her temple. "You are one of the beautiful things that keep the world good and beautiful. We need you babe."

Two months passed since the brutal accident. Many knew of Samantha's comatose condition and many sent their sympathies to the Beckett's in the form of flowers, food and baked goodies. Marcia filled Samantha's room with all the flowers, the lovely image of her daughter's bedroom decorated with the beautiful essence of nature sparked had sparked an idea. With the approval of the doctors. Samantha Beckett had been moved from the cold hospital room to her large soft bed, with sheets that smelled like her vanilla perfume. With their impressive wealth the Beckett family was able to hire a personal medical team that was on call twenty-four seven at their home.

Chase and Brandon woke their sister every morning with a kiss, despite the fact that they never received one in return. Or the fact that she did not even open her eyes to smile up at them like she always did. The boys did not understand exactly what a coma was, they narrowed her unresponsive state to a deep slumber. So every morning they'd try to wake her with a kiss. Just like Prince charming woke sleeping beauty.

Samantha's visitors had only been one, her best friend Tiffany. With an iron fist Marcia ruled the number of visitors her daughter received, Tiffany being the one she accept on a regular basis. Ezra Willowfoot had been barred from seeing her, Marcia afraid of what Henry would do if he ever saw the young boy at the house. This however had been only for appearances, after a long talk between Marcia and Sean, they both decided to allow Ezra in at night. If it was one thing they both understood, it was young love, and the love they had for each other could just be the key. So the Beckett's allowed him an hour with her every night, letting him in their home, and leaving him at her side while they had dinner and what not. Whenever he fell asleep, Marcia allowed him to stay the night, as long as he promised not too crush her with his body mass in the process.

The two months this passed and no sign of the van or its driver ever appeared. Sean with the advice of Henry dropped the search, instead focusing all his energy on Samantha and the two boys. With Samantha's eighteenth birthday fast approaching and no sign of recovery, life moved on. Marcia resumed all her charity work around town, and Sean settled into work again. Everyone was simply awaiting the emergence of the loving chocolate brown eyes they'd known so well.

Ezra spent many nights with Samantha.

He knew better than to think that giving up his sports would be the answer. Instead he had grown even more aggressive and dominant. Wilmington had taken the state Championship, and had come in fourth to the top spot in high school baseball across the nation. Basketball had picked up, and the team was undefeated. Ezra had record highs in points, but it was his other numbers that were amazing. Assists and rebounds he already held school and district records, but since the accident, he had astonished the scouts and everyone else, by frequently getting double digits in blocks. Which was unheard of.

His timing was perfect and his leaping ability was remarkable. They had the lowest opposing points scored numbers in the nation, and already were locked for top seeds in their tournaments.

Football was another story entirely. Without Samantha to distract him, all Ezra did was workout and train. Wilmington had destroyed everyone in the district, and had beaten the defending state champions, 92 to 6. There were two weeks left of state play, then would come a chance at nationals.

People were a little stunned at Ezra's shift. he refused to attend parties, would not give interviews, and was always the first out of the locker room. He never told Samantha about his achievements, but instead told her how good his teammates had done. And how Tiffany had cheered so loudly, and how Eddy had hooted for them.

it quickly became clear that he did not talk about himself because what he did mattered little to him. She was everything. So he would stroke her hair, even brush it and help with her anti-atrophy exercises, and tell her about school, the town, the teams, and everything else. He also told her more legends, and of course kept her informed as to his family, especially the girls who sent her new flowers every three days.

Ezra didn't bring flowers. He brought scents. Scents he knew she enjoyed.

He had slept more in her room than his own, especially in the last several weeks. Tonight, the last day of November, he was asleep on her bed, his hand on her middle, his other in her hair, while he lay on his side. He was always very careful to position himself so he wouldn't crush her, and he didn't move her except her exercises.

He had not moved much in his sleep before anyway. Now he rarely seemed to even breath in his sleep.

December came quicker than anyone expected, and Samantha still had yet to stir. Marcia began losing hope as her daughter's birthday neared. Chase and Brandon begged Samantha everyday to wake up, so that they could celebrate her birthday. Bake a cake together like they always did on each of their birthdays, then go to the store and purchase candles, sing happy birthday under the stars all together and have cake and milk.

Marcia had been having her morning coffee when Sean entered the kitchen, giving her a quick kiss. "Smile darling" he whispered.

Marcia stared at him with a sad smile "How can I? Her birthday is in eighteen days, Samantha had her entire party planned months in advance."

"Ah yes, the Halloween party" He chuckled.

Marcia rolled her eyes at his attempt at making a joke "I believe the term she used was costume..."

"Same thing different day" Sean said pouring himself a cup of freshly brewed.

" The boys are starting to think their sister is dead because she hasn't regained consciousness as yet Sean.."

He walked over to his wife, kissing her shoulders "Then we'll give them hope.." he smiled, knowing his baby girl was going to open those beautiful eyes of hers soon. "Samantha is my daughter, she's a Beckett, we are fighters. So you just get the ingredients and bake her that golden vanilla cake she loves so much, with the marshmallow flavoured buttercream, buy eighteen pretty candles and some silly hats..." He took a sip "..and we will sing her happy birthday just like we did the first day she was born."

Marcia's eyes welled with salty tears at the way Sean spoke of Samantha, her heart ached for them both. "You're right" She swallowed. "The boys will love that, it'll make them happy."

Sean took out his wallet and placed his card on the table "Take them to buy their presents for her. Can't have a birthday without gifts"

Marcia stood, hugging her wonderful husband tightly "You're the best father she could ever hope for "

Sean laughed "Well I'm all she's got so she's stuck with whether she likes it or not"

Marcia smiled sweetly, Sean wiping her tears away. "Go on.."

"I'll see you later my love" He whispered, kissing her forehead before heading out to his duties at the police station.

Marcia waited till Sean left to go wake Ezra Willowfoot from Samantha's room. Hot eggs, sausages, bread andmuffins were already waiting downstairs for him. The blonde woman shook him gently, chuckling at his stiff sleeping position at her daughter's side. Close enough to keep her warm, far enough to keep her comfortable. "Come down for breakfast" she whispered, as though she had been trying not to wake Samantha as well. Marcia retreated to her kitchen, giving Ezra this time to wash up in Samantha's bathroom, where she placed a new toothbrush for him since he'd been sleeping over regularly.

"Have anything you'd like" She smiled placing the plates of breakfast dishes on the table. Along with orange juice, fresh from the trees outback, and coffee from a local Indian farmer. Supporting cottage industries had been a passion of Marcia's, and would continue to be so till her dying day.

"You should skip a night, get a good night's rest in your bed." Marcia commented sitting opposite him, still sipping her coffee. "Your muscles must ache having to restrain yourself like that every night" She paused. "Ezra...I want you to tell me something...." Marcia t expression remained calm "When you said in the hospital you were going to marry Sam, did she perhaps....say yes to a proposal?" Her eyes were nothing but curious.

"Yes. She did."

He would not give her details. But he looked up at her. "I would, and will marry your daughter, because we love each other."

He let himself relax, finding she was almost as easy to talk to as Samantha herself. "We were waiting until graduation and stuff to make real plans. but i did truly buy us a house. I still want to marry her Mrs. Beckett. With all i am. We said once we couldn't bear seeing the other marry and have someone else's kids. Well she never has to worry about that. I love her too much. i could never love someone else the right way to marry them."

He began to eat now and smiled more. "She used to tease me that i didn't talk enough....and I can't take a night off Mrs. Beckett. i can't sleep in my bed now. because I just know...deep in my bones. She'll wake up without me there and be heartbroken. And I can't have that. I cannot bear the idea of hurting her."

he finished three full plates. "You know..she's guna be all sorts of angry when she wakes up. Missing classes and grades...and the dancing thing...." he gulped at the thought. "There has to be something. Maybe more surgeries? A more intense therapy schedule?"

He looked toward the room, then back at her mother. He started to ask her why she hadn't told Sean about Henry trying to kill their daughter, but then he shook the thought away. "Mrs. Beckett....what will she do? Even when we were kids she loved dancing....now...how do we help her?"

His time in their home, even if spent with Samantha, had taught him much about the beckett's. Sean was what Ezra figured. A fiercely loving husband and father, devoted to his wife and kids, especially Sam. But Marcia was even more so. Mama bear incarnate. She was more subtle about it than her husband, but Ezra had not the tempered steel in her, and the fire in her eyes. Now he understood something. She didn't hate his people, and he was certain she and his dad had had a baby out of wedlock, but Marcia was not a woman to be trifled with.

He watched her, thinking truly only her daughter, but also wondering just what might Marcia do?

Back
Top Bottom