Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

A Fracture in the Balance (Translucentfeathers & Beelzing)

RE: A Fracture in the Balance (translucentfeathers x beelzing)

The hand on her wrist calmed her in an odd way, normally a gesture that was used to yank her out of a social setting for a verbal shredding or potential disciplining she was shocked when she felt a soothing press of Leona's thumb over her skin. It helped, it calmed and soothed her and allowed her to keep her focus until she finished before she sat down, fingers slipping up to squeeze hers gently before slipping her hands away to fold in her lap as she listened to the people in the room.

The shift in the man who had been questioning her earlier was a bit of a shock, as was the comradery displayed between he and Leona. It put her at ease when she saw that she was being accepted, albeit somewhat reserved but still...accepted.

"Making allies and ensuring they are protected as well as you against any attacks would also set into motion a crippling effect for the vampires," she added almost as if to herself to Jared's words before glancing up. "It isn't an immediate attack but a form of defense that keeps them from getting stronger by gaining a large source of food. If packs and human groups start banning together and help one another shore up and become allied it would be more of a struggle for them to attack then say a small town with no outside networking and connections."

She shrugged slightly as she leaned back in her seat. A small male werewolf spoke up from a corner in the room.

"Closest packs near by would be the one my sister married into, the one ran by Mark and the rest North of the main city. They have a bunch of humans in their town too. They were located relatively close to some of the higher coven family estates thoigh like the Carlet family, the Charmaigne's, the Belque's and..." he glanced up, nervously. "The Delmonte estate."

Claire shook her head and waited to make sure no one else was going to comment before she did. "Most of the old ones only visited the estates during summer when daylight hours are their longest, they prefer staying within the city and would be more prone to do so now to lead this idiocy and stick close to a guarantee blood source like whomever decided to join or remain in the city. Which," she added, "There should be a discussion later on-now it would be suicide but in a week or so we ought to send people into the city limits to try and recover any stragglers and survivors."

Claire watched the brief power struggle between Leona and Jared with an arched eyebrow and slightly amused expression as she responded to his suggesting they both act as ambassadors. The points he brought up were fair, and valid, if what Leona had told her about pack hierarchy was true. A lone alpha coexisting in another alpha's pack without 'contributing ', especially given the circumstances they were presently in, would be a burden and potential threat regardless of the jovial, at times tense, comradery they seemed to share.

When he turned his gaze to her, asking if she would be willing she wanted to disagree and suggest s human might be better received with all that was happening. Her presence within this potential alliance was going to eventually be brought to light, though, and it may be best if she went to speak for herself and offer the same courtesy of an explanation she had given those currently in assembly. Besides, if her being included was a straight no for them it would be better to learn this up front and now rather than after they set up a potential agreement.

Claire nodded slightly. "Just so long as we are able to do this trip at night and they are forewarned about me being what I am so no fights break out." The other pack knowing she had the people here's tentative approval would help.

"How soon should we leave?"

Claire watched the young werewolf nod emphatically in agreement to Jared's calling upon him to alert this other pack of her and Leona's arrival. Of course them knowing before hand could also allow them to be better prepared to throw minced garlic or attempt to fend her of with whatever other silly superstitious things they could think of. With a slight hum she keaned back in her seat, thinking over it.

Attempting to tackle a diplomatic offering of an alliance to a neighboring pack would be risky, doubly so if Leona couldn't keep her cool or bite her tongue. It would do good though to bolster the numbers and network, that and she knew the area intimately as she had traveled to the family estate quite frequently when she was younger and they used the manors for social gatherings more often.

"Tonight shouldn't be a problem as long as we can ensure I have enough of what I need in order to travel safely...especially considering we may be entering into a more hostile environment." There was no guarantee they would be received warmly, or if they were it would stay that way. With a gentle glance to Leona she shrugged slightly. "I am willing to leave as soon as the sun begins to set," she offered, her eyes locking onto the alpha's golden ones to see what she thought.

It was truly going to be up to Leona in the end to vouch for her behalf yet again, and if the werewolf gave another pack even the slightest doubts that she didn't want to be there or be bothered with something so tedious, Claire knew she wouldn't have much hope convincing them herself.

Claire felt reassured and eased at Leona's words and agreement to go, though the way she had broken their gaze first and-was that a blush on her neck? Claire arched an eyebrow curiously before her eyes widened when the werewolf announced her willingness to provide her with what she needed if their supplies ran out. With a heavy blush of her own she focused on the table and tried not to feel embarrassment over it.

Jared questioned Leona at that announcement and she couldn't blame him even if it was her control that was being questioned. For goodness sakes she even questioned her own ability to control herself at the mere idea of feeding from Leona again, ignoring the way her mouth watered slightly and she began craving the warm taste of her blood again.

The sound of that woman, Lauren she thinks she remembers hearing her be referred to. Her lips curled back as she glared, all but ready to hiss out a response this time that would be less than diplomatic when she heard Leona offer out her own response.

The way the beta responsed, submitting almost immediately had left Claire stunned, and with a glance at Leona's blank cold stare and the way her normally bright and expressive voice had become monotone and devoid of all emotion had her her mouth falling open slightly. The alpha looked prepared to turn to violence if Lauren had resisted and Claire couldn't help the hot flare of something that raced through her chest at Leona sticking up for them in such a dominant way.

Claire then watched as Leona then asked to leave, seeming to have forgotten all about the situation that had just occured. She quickly gathered her things and nodded to the rest of the room before following after Leona quickly, casting a dark glance the beta's way as she passed.

"Are you okay?" She asked quietly once they were in the hall, slipping her gloves back on and pulling the hood over her head.

At the sight of the other woman's bloody palms, Claire felt that craving flare up again just as suddenly as it had in the meeting room. She swallowed and shook her head slightly.The irony of the werewolf's words, her hating her own basic instincts and needing to fight them? It had Claire muttering a brief, "Tell me about it." Shaking her head again as if to clear it, she slid the glasses on to hide her eyes.

It would be wrong to go into the grocery store, too domestic, that and it would place them together which the state of Leona's palms would prove trying. Not to mention whatever it was that was driving Leona's own craving for violence would probably not mesh well with the blood lust Claire was currently trying to ignore. It would be better, safer in the car.

Claire's response wasn't what she had decided though. "Sure, can't say I've ever had the privilege to go....'grocery' shopping." Why was she risking this, further tormenting herself simply to wander through aisles packed with cereals and...whatever else it was Leona would be looking for. "They sell dog food and treats at rhe grocery store?" She asked while raising an eyebrow above the frame of her dark sunglasses, following Leona with a smirk. It was an attempt to ignore her previous thoughts and hopefully help Leona out of her own mood.

The bloody tissue had her teeth grinding so hard she was shocked they didn't crack. Claire's expression remained calm though, damn near jovial and teasing as it had been. She tossed the tissue out the window despite the blood lust screaming in her ears to keep it. With a shallow swallow she let out a slow breath once Leona had shut the driver side door before she slipped out of the vehicle herself to follow.

It was, interesting. The strong sickeningly thick smells of fruit and breads along with the cheese and food spreads at the little deli counter had Claire grimacing. She left the sunglasses on and the hood up, her gloved hands straying over various items as they went around collecting whatever ingredients the werewolf needed in order to feed herself. She knew of some vampires who had been turned, though they were rare due to the new laws that had been in place, who often complained of craving once favorite dishes that now they couldn't bare to stomach. Claire never shared their issue, having been born into the covenant from a long line of vampires in an old coven. Human food smelled foul to her, and while beverages like water and wine or liquor were tolerable, the sickeningly sweet sodas and juices left her nose wrinkling while she gagged.

Claire followed Leona up to the check out silently though, eyes scanning over the trash magazines that littered a stand on the endcap display. She plucked one up with a snort that was detailing the use of lambs blood essence in perfume to attract a potential vampire lover. The rest of the articles claims were just as weak and ignorant, but the humor she found in it caused her to snicker.

At the sound of Leona's questioning she glanced up over the rim of the sunglasses while leaning against the candy rack, face shadowed from the front windows. "I have no problem with you taking rest, wouldn't want you to be tired for our trip," she hummed before returning the magazine to its place holder.

"Does it really matter?" She asked with a curious glance. There was no aggression or accusation in her voice, just pure curiosity. "If I say no I would be seen as unwilling to help and left alone with a pack and group of humans who are scared of me. That to me is just as, if not more, dangerous than this pack we are heading out towards. Besides, I find scared people do just as damage angry ones," hummed with a shrug. "Dangerous here, dangerous there..." Claire reached out and collected some of the bags after readjusting the sunglasses. "Dangerous out there in the city...no where is safe, just a matter of assessing the least likely place I will either get my throat torn out or garlic thrown at me."

As they left it seemed like Leona was no longer in the mood to talk and Claire simply sat with her in silence as they packed the few groceries that Leona had bought before making their way back to the little house. If you had told her she would have wound up sharing the home and company of a werewolf after having turned her own back on her family, assisting the humans and werewolves to form an alliance against her own species she would have laughed.

Things changed so drastically, and despite it having become a life or death type of world, surrounded by people who were merely tolerating her while saddled with an alpha werewolf, she found herself preferring it to the life she led before. It was quiet and calm despite the dangers and threats looming in the air. It was easier looking at everyone as a potential threat rather than the life she held locked away within her coven's clutches, the politics with the cloak and dagger tactics having driven her insane. She hated it.

She busied herself with a random book she found on a shelf while Leona cooked and ate before the werewolf mirrored her and slumped across an armchair of her own to read. The silence wasn't heavy, and she knew Leona must be exhausted for going so long with not jokes or wise cracks. When she heard the golden eyed woman's breath evening out, she glanced up. Leona had drifted off and her book lay limply in her hands.

With quiet movements she could attribute to her heritage she stood and walked over to gingerly pluck the book up, saving its place, before she scoopef up the werewolf, using her inhuman strength to carry the alpha bridal style through the house, pace remaining even and steady. When she got to the room Leona had been staying in, she lay the werewolf out in the bed, silently slipping the other's shoes off before gently pulling the covers up.

Claire took a moment, one she shouldn't have, to brush those dark bangs from her dark skin as she studied Leona's features, softened slightly by the deep sleep, or at least that was how jt seemed to her. She stared a moment longer before blushing and heading back to the living room, this time her desires not purely focused on blood as she struggled to focus on the random book she had picked up to read.

When she heard Leona rise and approach she was glad the werewolf seemed in better spirits...even if it was displayed at the expense of being teased. With a shake of her head she got to her feet. "Consider it payback for the way you abruptly ended things last night," she hummed back in a sweetly sarcastic tone before heading back to the rooms to find a few things to wear. Long sleeves and hoodies along with pants were her choice for the chance she may be in sunlight. She also tossed into the backpack the sunglasses and gloves so they lay on to top to grant easy access.

Once finished Claire zipped the bag shut and carried it into the living room, eyeing the space until she noticed Leona moving in the kitchen. She saw her packing blood into a cooler and it was an odd gesture to see Leona doing something so...considerate. then again the vampire figured it was no odder than her carrying the other woman to her bed hours before. It was odd, whatever this thing was that they had between each other. Claire could easily have written it off as nothing more than idle intetests and blood lust if it wasn't for the comforting gestures and sincere concerns they seemed to display for one another. She considered the golden eyed woman quietly for a moment before shrugging off the back pack to set on the floor by the counter as she walked into the kitchen.

Claire snagged a bag of the cold crimson liquid before Leona had a chance to shut the cooler, heading over to grab a tall large glass from the cabinets in the kitchen. "Do we need to pick up anything else for you? Food? Perhaps a chew toy?" She asked, glancing back at the were, returning to her own form of teasing as response to Leona's brighter mood. There was always that chsnce of pushing the alpha too far one day, she had noticed the tense way Leona had considered her joking about dog food earlier in the car as if debating how to take the remark. Of course if it should happen Claire would defend herself, though given the fact that she was in Leona's home and territory, even if she managed to win in a physical altercation she would then have humams and werewolves adding to the throngs of vampires who hated her. Not an ideal situation, but if Leona was willing to tease, Claire hoped for her sake she would continue to be willing to take back what she got.

"Yes, ma'am," she hummed in a distracted tone as she focused on her meal while Leona headed out to the car. Claire shifted on her feet once she polished off the last of the blood, taking a moment to wash her glass in the sink before she tugged her hair back and away from her face to pull into a loose braid.

She heard Leona come in, calling out to her that they were ready for another road trip and she rolled her eyes. She had forgotten how loud and mouthy the werewolf was after distant mood and quiet afternoon. "Remind me to get some sleeping meds to drug your food with at the next drugstore we shop at," she said casually before slipping past the woman in the doorway to head out to the car. "So much quieter when you're knocked out."

Claire slipped into the passenger seat, tugging the car door shut behind her and crossing her legs, glancing out the window to better study the yard and house she had been too worn to look over last night, and too blinded by the sun that afternoon. It was a cute little place and she wondered how long it had been Leona's. Probably a family home or something. It made her wonder briefly if the werewolf had a family, especially since she declared so openly how she was without a pack.

"How long of a drive is it?" She asked once Leona joined her. "Is it more than a couple of hours? If so I should hold onto the backpack just in case we don't make it before sunrise." She doubted it could be that far though.

Claire smiled a bit and tried not toblaugh at the almost indignant and hurt sarcasm Leona used to respond to her teasings. As they drove she tried to focus on staying strong focusing herself and her attentions to the task ahead and not the doubts and fears she had clawing to life in the pit of her stomach. "Glad to hear it is not far. But we should discuss what we will do if this doesn't turn out well," she hummed, the focus helping her settle slightly.

"If they become insistent we leave or force us off their land it would be putting us driving back with a risk of potentially hitting sunrise hours. If it happens that we are shut out or even if we are granted an audience with them there will be a days worth of sunlight we need to settle in for." She wouldn't risk being on the road if there was a chance of being exposed to sunlight with no set shelter.

"Also," she hedged, this time a little more reluctant and quiet. "I know it is in your nature to be somewhat abrasive but they will already be distrustful of me regardless of what I say. I may need you to be the more diplomatic of us if they refuse to listen to me...what a terrifying thought." She glanced over with a smile.

Claire glanced over the map, impressed by the thoughtfulness of Leona. She felt her cheeks flare slightly though when she realized how rudely her last comment could have been taken and smoothed a hand through the loose red curls that slipped out from her braid to push back behind her ear. "Well, I am glad to hear I haven't completely misread you then...seeing as if it wasn't for my presence gracing you your ability to give a flying fuck would be limited," she said with a short laugh and shake of her head as she leaned back in the seat of the car.

It still just left her in damn near awe at how she had wound up in this situation. How her existence now was hinged solely on the creature next to her, a creature that biologically she was supposed to loathe and be disgusted by. "Why did you save me? You were an alpha without a pack and had no one to protect while we were there. With all the blood and your turning I can't imagine it would have been easy focusing on doing more than ripping the nearest vampires throat out with your teeth. Hell, I was struggling myself...but instead you helped me escape when you didn't need to." Claire glanced over at Leona, no judgement or accusation in her features, just mild curiosity.

There were a myriad of other examples of Leona doing things, looking out for Claire in subtle ways, the way she had gripped her wrist in the room earlier as Claire faced down the pack and humans that had gathered and argued her case came to mind. "It isn't that I am ungrateful...merely curious."

The honesty shocked her but then again Claire figured the blunt and direct truthfulness of Leona should be somewhat expected by now. She listened and heard what the werewolf had tonsay, but noticed the golden eyed woman next to her seemed to be seeking a reaction from her about her words, about the tone, about the way she described Claire as nothing more than a plaything. If she was expecting her to be offended or hurt she was going to be disappointed.

Claire chuckled quietly and shook her head. "I wasn't thinking I had done more than peaked your interests...and I am glad I was interesting enough of a 'toy' for you to be willing to save me even if it was just so you could torment me a little longer," she said with a brief laugh and shake of her head. "Because regardless, I am alive right now because of you. I didn't think you had some deep hidden feelings for me, we have barely grazed the twenty four hour mark of even knowing each other."

Claire shrugged and leaned back in the seat. "But to answer your question? Yes, your response did answer my question. And your labeling me as a toy Leona isn't going to spark offense. I have been viewed as an oddity and a thing by others whose intentions were a lot more self focused than you for the entirety of my existence." A potential bargaining chip by her father, a pretty thing to be collected with an impressive title by Daniel and every other suitor, a chess piece in the coven's games of diplomacy with the other fractions.

Claire groaned slightly. "The idea of a post apocalyptic induced love affair between two people has never quite hit the top of my fantasy list, no. And," she added, flushing hotly as she struggled to regain some sense of composure as she stared out of the window and decidedly not looking at Leona. "It depends on the level of use and abuse." The brief heated memory of Leona hovering over her and working to pin her down and make her submit played in her head in a sharp way that had her setting her teeth on edge. She shook her head as if working to clear it.

"So," she said with a brief nod towards the maps in her lap as they drew close. "What is the normal protocol when meeting a pack's alpha?" Claire inquired, suddenly very aware of just how little she truly knew about the race she was currently about to submerge herself within. "And aside from the direct eye contact are there any other physical indicators or ways of communicating that I should avoid?" She asked briefly before glancing over with an arched brow. "You know...Werewolf faux pas?"

She listened carefully to the words Leona said, ignoring the teasing remark and sly smile to her earlier admittance. The advice was good, and sound, things she wouldn't have known about their nature. It was odd, with vampires the flashing of teeth the baring of throats all was about culture and social graces, with werewolves? It was much more raw and instinctual. At the mentioning of being protective of loved ones Claire arched an eyebrow, remembering how aggressive Leona had gotten towards the brunette beta who had lashed out at them. Or how she had tried to soothe and comfort Claire with a gentle hand when she took on the room head first. It was...she wouldn't say she would ever consider herself even remotely near the level of a loved one or mate to this woman but...she obviously looked on Claire with some note of ownership. The term toy came back to mind.

"It will be in my biology to act like I am his superior, so groveling wont be an issue. I will treat him the same way I did with the other emissaries and coven members, like they are on my level, regardless of their rank," she said with a shrug. The only ones she bowed her head to were the leadership within her own family unit.

As they came up to the property, there was a large blockade of werewolves and humans alike. It was evident they knew that Leona and Claire were coming, if only for the religious relics and holy water she could see along with machetes and torches rather than simple flashlights. Remove the head, burn the body-common knowledge on how you slaughter one of her kind, usually the easiest way to be sure. You had to get close to use a stake, and so much could go wrong, from missing to not applying enough pressure.

There was a small amount of relief she felt when she noticed they didn't simply attack the car, instead a very large man with dark brown eyes and thick blonde hair tied back loosely at the nape of his neck came forward and rapped his knuckles on Leona's window briefly, waiting for her to roll it down. He was unarmed, the confidence and authority seemed to just pour into every motion he made to the way he carried himself. Claire wondered if this was Mark.

The blonde man rested his forearms on the top of the car, body hanging down so his sharp brown eyes could study Leona for a moment, never quite holding her eyes long enough to appear challenging, but definitely sizing her up in a way that would tell him if she was a threat. Something in him seemed to find what he was looking for when she spoke and he nodded. "Yes, and I must assume you are Leona. Was made aware of your coming here and your intentions," he said in a low rumbling voice before his eyes left Leona to scan over Claire.

Claire felt a prickle run along her neck when she realized it wasn't just this Mark who was looking at her but the entire group of men and women in front of them, both human and were, all had their eyes pinned in on her as the exchange took place. It made her skin crawl and she wanted to flash her teeth and say 'boo' just to see them scramble because behind the anger and rage she could smell their fear and hear it in the way their heart rates sped on dangerously.

"Was also told that one has your confidence, as well as the tentative support of your group...does this mean she has your trust?" She heard Mark ask, the question pulling her gaze from the barricade to gance over at Leona. The alpha male's eyes had left hers and were trained on the dark golden gaze of the woman next to her, again, not challenging but waiting for the affirmation that Claire was truly trusted by others of their kind.

Claire glanced over when Leona mentioned her name and noticed the other werewolf at the driver side window had turned his gaze on her as if studying a potential threat. There was a thread of disgust in his face, evident in the way his mouth twisted into a frown but he kept it at that his tone as neutral as Leona's before nodding.

"You will be granted an audience, with myself and a select handful of others. You will be extended safe passage through our territory and will be under my protection. As for the rest? I will call them off but if your friend," he said the word loosely as if it was a test of strength to even refer to Claire as something more than an it. "Makes any aggressive moves or becomes a threat? I will not have any choice but to do what is necessary to protect my people...and allow them the opportunity to defend themselves."

He stepped back from the window and gave a sharp whistle, forcing the others to all step back and unbarr the way. Tapping the roof of the car, Claire watched as Mark motioned them on, telling them to drive down the road two miles and wait for them to arrive at a large brick house.

Claire felt herself relax and settle slightly into the seat, letting out a slow breath as they pulled forward. "That went...better than I thought it would."

Claire shook her head a little as she climbed out of the vehicle. She was tense and felt like some sort of fox caught in a hen house where the hens could fight back...viciously. Claire smoothed a hand over the back of her neck as she eyed the brick house that looked more like a huge building or mansion than a simple home. "I will be fine, hope this new odd strain of luck continues..." she said briefly with a shake of her head.

Claire glanced around a bit, eyes studying the treeline when she saw Mark and a few others approaching down the same road, some in vehicles and a few others in wolf form having turned to eun down the road. The ones who turned vanished into the woods that hedged the property, and a small part of her felt like they were hiding in the darkness and keeping watch, so if things went south or her and Leona tried fleeing they would be prepared to act.

Claire let her hands fist into tight balls in her pockets, her face remaining calm, following Leona's lead when Mark motioned for them to follow him inside. She was right about the home, it was huge, large enough to house at least twenty, she thought to herself. It reminded her of her father's family estate not far from here, though it seemed much warmer here despite the present company. They were led to a large sitting room and directed to two chairs that Mark set at the head of a ring of couches and arm chairs that had been clearly brought together for this small meeting.

Four other werewolves, a woman, a young alpha male who held a great resemblence to Mark, and another male sat on one side while three human males sat on the other. Mark sat directly in front of them, shoulders squared and facing them as he watched them silently. "Take a seat, if you would so we may proceed. This is Arianna, my sister and my her eldest son, my nephew, Tobias. Next to him is my second, Anthony. Across from them is the Mayor of the human town we are closest to and protect, David Calloway, and his two counselors Steven and Shephard," he said easily before turning to watch them for a moment with a short nod. "As you noticed, our people are not exactly welcoming towards the idea of a deal being made with one of her kind," he said with a curt nod towards Claire while his attentions remained with Leona. "I figured it best for us to have our discussion first, come to some terms and then present the others with the option of an alliance after the heavy hitters of our respected hierarchies have been convinced, because despite my trust in Jared? I do not know you, and I certainly do not know her," he said with a slow shrug.

"If you want any hope of convincing our peoples to join? There will need to be some trust built. We lost...a great deal at the masquerade," he said quietly, eyes flickering to his sister so briefly Claire knew she would have missed it had she blinked. "So we are going to need to begin that foundation here before we approach the rest. Now, Jared mentioned briefly what the ideas of this alliance were but I would like to hear them from you," he said with a nod towards Leona.

The rest of the group remained silent, even the humans were watching Mark as he took in Leona's words with a quiet serious air about him. Claire studied the werewolf before a female voice cut through the silence when Leona finished wrenching Claire's attentions away from the male alpha to find the woman, Arianna she remembered, was eyeing Claire darkly. Her voice was calm as she spoke but there was a thread of anger there beneath the surface and it had Claire tensing under that dark gaze. She remembered what Leona had cautioned, to not appear threatening towards an alpha's mate, and while this woman was nothing of the sort she had no doubt that same ferocious protective nature would extend to an apha's immediate family.

"Those are all fairly decent points and ideas that would appeal to the logic of any and all in this room and within our pack I am almost certain...the only thing I am left to wonder is why it is exactly you are jeopardizing these negotiations and potential alliances by bringing that thing with you," she spat, as her brown eyes narrowed in on Claire.

Claire felt the hair on the back of her neck raise slightly when the gruff voice of Mark's second, Anthony, chime in. "I agree. I can't see why you would bring the daughter of the vampire leading this world domination assault, as you so aptly coined it, to the peace talks between to human and werewolf groups. The fact that you trust her means nothing to us because we have no reason to put blind faith in your judgements," he spat bitterly before his gaze snapped onto Leona. "Not only that, but I have had dealings with you before and forgive me if your lack of honor and respect towards pack hierarchy leaves me unimpressed and questioning Jared's senses in sending you."

"ENOUGH!" The growled word from Mark had the room growing silent, the tension in the air thick and heavy as Mark reigned in his right hand and sister, before sending a warning gaze to the humans on his left who looked two steps from adding their own two cents. Claire bit down hard on the side of her cheek, sating the nerves with the bit of blood that coated the tip of her tongue from the action. Just a small taste to calm the tense anxiety she felt. It was a trick she learned when she was younger that helped tide her body over until she could get a real drink. It didn't change the fact that she felt like a cat outnumbered by a group of very large very angry dogs two steps from breaking their chains and ripping her throat out, locked in this small room with them and only Leona at her back if it she decided to play nice and offer her protection again.

Claire waited for the room to calm, the air quieting, though the bitter smell of fear and anger still permeated the air. She glanced over at Leona briefly, looking for some reassurance, unsure to how to proceed from here if another speech would help or if her own silence would be better. Claire felt lost and out of her element, and she hated it.

The firm words, the tight grip on her hand, it all had Claire settling slightly, easing back into a calm state as she watched the two werewolves duck their heads and turn their gazes away at Leona's reprimand. Everything the golden eyed woman said had been good and true, and the ultimatum she had offered Mark left them with hard choices to be made but a small piece of her worried their would be bitterness from the second and this woman that could leech into the others and poison this possible treaty, regardless of what Mark decided.

"I saw you get hit," came a calm voice. Arianna's son spoke up then, his wide gaze trained on her as he ignored his mother's motions for him to be quiet. "At the masquerade. I was there with Anthony and my father. Mark couldn't go because grandfather was ill and sent us in his place," the boy continued as his eyes continued to match Claire's. "Saw your dad make the announcement, saw you refuse to join them and I saw him order your death. Watched as chaos ensued and my dad got injured, Anthony barely got us out alive," he said with a soft shake of his head. "Why'd you do it? You would've been up there in this whole mess, like royalty," the young boy nodded. "But you just refused it all, turned your back on your whole species...why?"

The blatant honest question struck her dumb, and suddenly the fear and rage the other two showed made a little bit more sense. Her mate having been injured, Anthony scrambling to save both him and his pack alpha's nephew as the world fell apart. Claire glanced between Leona and Mark before answering with a slight shake of her head. "It would have been easier," she agreed calmly, her eyes scanning and focusing on the two werewolves who had challenged her before returning to the young boy. "But it would have been wrong. Most of my kind don't differentiate between what is right and what is wrong, they only focus on what they want...but I do. It matters to me, regardless of what my father or anyone else says I am my own person and my choices are my own."

Claire watched as the boy studied her for a moment before nodding briefly and glancing up at Mark. The look they shared held some sort of meaning that was lost on Claire but Mark was talking again and brought the room to attention. "I think it is time we discuss things privately," Mark said before standing, nodding at the Mayor and his assistants along with his nephew, right hand and sister. "We will be back shortly," he said witha curt nod towards them both. "And we will let you know our answer. Afterwards, in the morning, I will present it to the rest of those within our pack and under our protection so they may help us in a final decision."

With that Mark turned and left the room, the others following and leaving Leona and Claire alone as the doors shut behind their retreating forms. Claire let out a slow sigh as her free hand came up to rub over her eyes, "Please lie and tell me that it will all be smooth sailing from here?" She said with a brief painful laugh.

Claire felt calmed by Leona's words their soothing tones tempting her into believing them even if only for a moment. She laughed a bit though, the sound coming out tired and abrupt. "Yes, you behaved quite well l thins considered, remind me to get you a chew toy or something as a treat on the way back out of town," she teased, returning to the usual barbs and banter, feeling more normal for it.

The question that came next had her smile becoming slightly strained though, despite shaking her head. "No and yes. I don't need to but extreme violence, sex, high levels of stress and of course exposure to it all trigger a desire for a taste even if my body isn't actually in need." She glanced over at her with a slight shrug. "I will be fine though, nothing I would go rabid over," she hummed with a brief smile in attempts to reassure the other woman.

"So, do you think we stand an honest chance here with this group?" She asked curiously. "You are better at reading body language and noticing things among your own kind than I am. Also, do you think Jared will believe me if I told him you were impressively diplomatic through this?"

Claire smiled briefly at the squeaky request and knew eventually she would have to get the woman something along those lines as a gag gift at some point. It was odd, she never thought she would reach that sort of point with someone, exchanging gag gifts and teasing words. With a small smile she sat in her seat before shaking her head briefly. "Careful, puppy. Don't turn this into something where you think you can tell me what to do and when to eat," she said with a low hum and small smile.

The rest had her listening carefully, eyes focusing on a spot on the floor. Mark did seem like he had some sense, and perhaps with what the boy had asked and her response the others could be reasoned with. She nodded, hoping it would go well, regardless of what Mark decided, Claire knew forcing people to follow a leaders decision when fear was involved tended to end in an ugly way, regardless of the good intentions meant.

The bark of laughter caught her off guard, and she glanced over at Leona with a broad grin, "Finally, perhaps in Jared I have found someone who will be able to appreciate the tiresome complexities you present in social situations. Don't forger you still aren't off the hook for dipping me and kissing me in front of all of the delegates and representatives of the fractions...even if you did save my life," she said with a playful smirk.

The smile dropped from her features though when Mark re-entered, this time with the mayor, his sister and right hand only. Claire sat up and noticed the way the other two werewolves seemed repentant in their looks, the mayor also seemed more at ease. It was hopefully a good sign. She stood quietly and used their joined hands to tug Leona to her feet as they squared off silently with the werewolves and Mayor.

"We have decided to join the alliance and offer our aid. We plan on extending your reach to the packs surrounding us and in turn recruiting others for this cause and welcoming them into the fellowship we are trying to build. It will keep your pack from needed to over travel and over extend yourselves," he said briefly before glancing over at the mayor, exchanging a curt nod with him before returning his gaze back to Leona and Claire as the human spoke up.

"We will extend to you deliveries of blood as well, since our two groups are the closest to one another. Donations from the blood bank so that your supplies are not diminished by your....needs," he said quickly before shaking his head. "It would not do anyone any good for you to go hungry or the people of your town to be wanting medically, and it wll be a sign of good faith between us towards your presence within our alliance, my dear," he said with a quiet nod.

Mark waited until the Mayor finished before glancing over at his right hand and sister, a low growling voice, asking if they had anything to add. Arianna glanced up at them and between them for a moment before her eyes fell to the floor as she spoke. "I want to apologize for my behavior earlier towards you, the both of you. I-I nearly lost my boy and my husband is still in the hospital from that night-" The woman shook her head briefly, clearing her throat before continuing, "The alliance has my support and I will assist Mark in convincing the clan and vouching for your presence within the groups."

Claire watched as Mark lay a heavy, comforting hand on his sister's shoulder, squeezing gently before nodding at his second. Anthony seemed less willing to speak though equally reprimanded."I may have missed your interactions with your father but the boy was right in the questions he asked and the answers you gave. I may not know either of you well enough, and my own issues may be clouding my judgement, but I am man enough to admit when I acted wrongfully, and I apologize for my prejudice."

Claire was stunned into silence and noticed all four were now looking directly at her as if waiting for her response. She simply nodded, feeling like words would cheapen their apologies or come out as condescending. When Mark seemed satisfied he continued. "It will be daylight soon. We have a couple of rooms...or one, if you would prefer it," he said easily, eyes flicking to their hands for a moment before returning to Leona's face, "At a small motel less than five minutes from here were you both can rest and regroup. I wll post guards at your door, men I trust, who will make sure no one harms either of you as well as keep an eye on you for my pack's comfort. We will spend the day presenting the pack with your words and the terms of the alliance and have an answer for you by the evening as to where we all stand. Is this acceptable," he asked Leona.

Mark nodded and guided them to follow him out of the study. "If you take the south road about a mile down, there is a motel there. Let them know your name Leona and I will call ahead so they have your rooms pepared for you both. As stated two of my most trusted will meet you there and get whatever you may require through out your time there."

With that Mark excused himself as he left them at the entrance, turning and disappearing down a hall. Claire stood at the entry way, shifting slightly before glancing over at Leona. Things had, were, going so well she couldn't help the slight smile she had breaking out over her face.

Claire slipped out of the large brick house and headed back to the car. The idea of werewolf guards was slightly intimidating but knowing Leona was next door and nearby helped-that had her pausing. Since when had that thought become something normal for her to feel? It was a slightly heavy realization, the source of calm and sense of peace she felt around the werewolf hit her like a shockwave and left her startled.

Claire glanced over at Leona quietly as the dark haired woman joined her in their approach and slipping into the car. "Think we can get his little bodyguard boys to get you some food?" She asked with a tilt of her head.

Leona's blowing off her need for food had Claire grimacing slightly, wondering if perhaps she should ask one of the werewolves to fetch food for the female were. It would probably be taken as an insult though, and she knew how well Leona seemed to take to another person attempting to control an aspect of her life and Claire was almost certain that would be how the other woman took such a gesture. The vampire simply sat in silence as they drove down the directed road that Mark had instructed them to follow before they came to the small motel.

Claire caught the key that was tossed her way in a single hand after she watched Leona park and head inside the check in office before climbing out of the vehicle herself. At the offering of the clothes she nodded. "The gloves, hoodie and sunglasses at least...just in case something happens and I suddenly need coverage from the sunlight," she added before tucking a stray red curl that had come loose from her braid behind her ear.

The almost humorous and overly dramatic description Leona gave of herself falling into boredom had Claire laughing softly, almost to herself as she shook her head. "Are you sure you haven't already suffered such a descent? Hard to go insane when you already are." She asked as she went to the door next to Leona's, fitting the key into the lock before turning it and pushing open the door. "And I doubt I will sleep much," she said with a shrug, eyes glancing over at two rather large brutish looking men who could only be Mark's appointed bodyguards coming to keep watch. No, Claire doubted rest was in the forseeable future. "So don't worry about keeping me up when you are crawling up the walls," she hummed, eyes returning to Leona with a brief nod and shrug. "Feel free to knock on my door if the boredom becomes to overwhelming though."

With that Claire nodded briefly before slipping inside with the cooler and back pack, shutting and locking the door behind her. The room was small, but clean, a single queen sized bed in the corner with a little nightstand and television on a tiny table on the opposite wall. Claire dropped the bag by the door before drawing the blinds and casting the room into complete darkness, her eyes adjusting easily as she let out a comfortable sigh, feeling more in her element. It took a moment to get settled, kicking off the chucks Leona had given her that first night before fetching a blood bag from the cooler. A sharp tooth snagged over the pliable plastic she dropped onto the bed and polished off the serving in silence, ignoring the way the bland, cold thick liquid left her dissatisfied and craving something warm and flavorful even as the tasteless crimson liquid sated her needs and coated her tongue.

It had been a few quiet dark hours of laying in the silence with the lights offand the curtains drawn. Claire's mind wandered aimlessly as she drained her third blood bag, tossing it into a waste bin. It had been some hell of a couple of days. She aimlessly tugged her long red hair from the confines of the braid, letting the loose curls fan out over the bed spread around her. She drifted in and out, body relaxing with the positive hope that things were starting to look up, to look better.

For the first time she felt truly reassured that perhaps this would all work. That just maybe this alliance would stand a chance and be a beacon of hope for all the others to rally around. She felt a small smile at the prospect of her kind failing, the covens falling apart and the world becoming a new place, better place, where vampires were forced into humility from their failures. It gave Claire a warm feeling to dream of such a future for herself and others.

There was a soft sound at her door, body quickly sitting up as her eyes snapped open and she studied the wooden barrier between her and whomever was outside. The soft gentle scratching noise was followed by Leona's voice and Claire arched an eyebroe before rising to her feet bare feet to slip quietly over to glance out the peephole.

It was definitely Leona, her mouth twisted down into a pout as she waited outside Claire's room expectantly. Claire couldn't help the playful smirk that came over her features as she unlatched each lock except the chain to let the door be cracked open enough to peer out at the amber eyed were. She knew she looked somewhat frightful, her pupils dilated wide from spending so many hours in the dark, the black almost swallowing her iris' whole. Those red curls having become a wild untamed mess from drifting in and out and tossing about in bed that fell around her face and down her bsck.

"Took you a lot longer than I thought," she said with a small laugh before arching an eyebrow. "Figured the pout and looking for entertainment would have happened within the first hour. You lasted almost three." Claire shut the door and unhooked the chain before backing away to flip on the power button for the television rather than a light. The soft glow from the screen would light the room enough for Leona to maneuver while still leaving it dark enough for her to find comfort in. "Come on in," she called. "It's open."

"Cold of me? You forget what I am while you slipped into the depths of insanity next door?" She asked as she watched Leona enter her room and glance around in the darkness. The next question had her chuckling with a brief shake of her head as a pale hand came up to shove long fingers through the mess of curls that had become her hair, attempting to tame them. "Smelled that did you? It was more of a craving, an itch that needed to be scratched kind of deal," she said with a slow shrug. "And while I can be sent into a bloodlust type of frenzy it would require me being near starved or a great deal of fresh blood being spilt."

Claire watched quietly, green eyes following Leona's movements as te werewolf sat next to the bed before nodding. "Stereotypes, regardless of how out of proportion they are blown tend to be based off of something," she agreed quietly. "And you have human reasoning?" She asked with a smirk before she fell onto the bed, turning her body so she lay on her stomach, arms folded underneath her chin as she positioned herself sideways, head next to the edge of the bed where Leona sat, feet dangling off the other side.

"I am used to not having much to do and being somewhat cooped up. I don't need sleep or food, sunlight is a nuisance and my life for the longest time revolved around the beck and call of the coven," she said with a shrug. "Quiet doesn't bother me all that much. Besides, I don't need constant amusement like some people," she chuckled. "Not everyone can look at the world like their toy chest and all the people in it as potential toys to play with."

Back
Top Bottom