Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

End of The World

Alex

Supporter
Supporter
So apparently, 2011 is the new 2012. May 21, 2011 is apparently the "chosen" date of which God picks the selected few people to take to heaven, while October is apparently the month in which the world will be set ablaze. Or something like that.

What hard, irrefutable evidence have these believes produced? Well, Harold Camping has apparently calculated this date from reading the Bible. And we all know that the Bible has never steered people wrong in predicting the end of the world before, am I right?

On a serious note, there has been predictions about the world ending just about every year since year one. Predictions that have been proven wrong since we're all still here. Yet time and time again, people will try to give a date and year to which the world is going to be torn asunder.

My question for you is when and how do you think the world is going to end?

Personally, I think it's going to end whenever the moon breaks orbit, whenever the sun decides to explode on us, or whenever we're hit with a meteor, asteroid, comet or whatever giant flying rock from space that's big enough to destroy all life. I don't believe there's an accurate way to predict a date and... well, there hasn't been a reliable way to provide a time to date, anyhow.

I think the whole 2011 = rapture thing is BS, just like on June 6th, 2006 when people were ranting about the rapture/major catastrophe. If by world ending you mean the end of the Earth as a planet, then I imagine there will be a gigantic fucking asteroid striking the planet and cracking into itty, bitty pieces the size of Texas.

If it's the end of human habitation then I hope what happens in that case is that we have decided to all leave the Earth and colonize other planets and leave this one as a wild life preserve. I am more of the opinion that we'll let the environment go to shit and we will not be able to live.

World ending in in 2012 = B.S

Word ending in 2011 = 10x more B.S

I honestly can't stand it when people try to predict the worlds end and it makes the news, freaking people out and what not. Pisses me off. You can't take a guess to something like that, hell, we as humans can hardly ever predict the weather right! I seriously think one day mother nature is going to bitch slap us all in the face and make it 20 degrees in the middle of July just cause.

Anyway, I don't think there's anyway anyone can predict when the world will end. It's just not possible.

-End rant-

If I had to take a guess no idea as far as year but I thing it'll be because of:

A) Nuclear warfare. (S.T.A.R.T, hahaha. Yeah right.)
B) We have a Wall-E scenario. We screw up the environment so badly we have no other choice but to leave Earth and find some where else to go because saying here would kill us.

Interesting thing to think about, honestly. I will be on my couch laughing until my sides hurt on December 21st, 2012 while watching the news if it doesn't happen. Otherwise, I'll probably cry if it actually does occur.

I'm not a scientist, I don't know what it would take for the sun to die or for the whole cycle to stop, but that's what it would take to destroy the world. There are far smaller events that wouldn't end the world but could wipe out mankind and I think that's what a lot of people are getting mixed up with. If you think about what this planet has endured over the millions of years of existence, it's not just going to roll over (Please excuse the pun) and die if there's another ice age etc.

I believe that humans are just part of the worlds evolutionary process. We are an accident. People seem to think that now humans exist this is what it's going to be like forever and that's obviously rubbish. Resources will run out and the human race will die however after us another species will rise, they may be just as successful as us or they may be better or worse. I don't know.

I'm not a denier of Global Warming, I think it is happening and the human race are likely going to suffer. The thing is it would take us millions of years to adapt to this new climate that we will experience and we're really not going to last that long. The world does not revolve around the human race, we only like to think so because as far as we know we're the most superior species on this earth and in a way we are, but only because we've taught other species that. In the grand scale of things though humans aren't really that much.

For me this is exciting although I know to others it sounds depressing. I like the fact that in a couple million years time there willl be no one there to try and collect taxes, no homelessness and none of all the problems we have today. I like the fact that my existence is pure luck and not predetermined or any of that religious bullshit.

Much like how religion was started, these ideas about the world ending are invetitable. People are going to start asking questions like, 'When am I going to die?' or 'What kind of world are we leaving our children?' and they've been asked for thousands of years which is why we have so many religious texts contradicting each other - Because no one knows. There is an answer to these questions, but we're not going to find them out until something happens. People are too impatient, all this 'Click this button, recieve stuff instantly' phase we've reached with technology is something that people enjoy and when they can't get their answer they strop.

My prediction for May 21, 2011:

Harold Camping either commits suicide or declares that the rapture is going to be delayed.

The world will fail to end this year, regardless.

It will fail to end next year too.

It will also fail to end the year after that.

The world will do just fine, racking up a solid five billion year 'failing to end' streak. If humans aren't into the whole astroengineering thing after that, it will eventually end in fire.

Vekseid said:
My prediction for May 21, 2011:

Harold Camping either commits suicide or declares that the rapture is going to be delayed.

The world will fail to end this year, regardless.

It will fail to end next year too.

It will also fail to end the year after that.

The world will do just fine, racking up a solid five billion year 'failing to end' streak. If humans aren't into the whole astroengineering thing after that, it will eventually end in fire.

I wish this site has some sort of like button!

There is no way it can end now.... heck if they had even read there bibles Jesus had said that no man can prodict the time and place.... so it obvious that these people are just idiots who didnt' even read the bible without adding a whole load of BS... I find to be quite funny... and I dont' think the world will end in my life time, so I am not really worried about it. :p

I'd like to imagine humanity ends with some sort of virus killing us all. Leaving the planet uncluttered by us and allowed to go back to the way it was before all of our "progress."

Now, as to how the world will end, I suspect the sun exploding. Now, if the planet is INHABITABLE by then, I don't know. But yes, sunsplosion gets my vote.

Right. It will take a lot to destroy the planet, or even ALL life on the planet.

However, it is comparatively easy to make it unconfortable or impossible for humans to survive as a species. That OUGHT to inspire us to get off this rock and spread our eggs to other baskets, so to speak, but no, better to build a highway to noplace in Alaska or make sure rich men and megacorporations get to keep millions in taxes than worry about the survival of our species.

I agree with Misan's sig, by the way. Bah. Humanity.

Oh, incidentally, if my answer didn't imply it, I tend to think all predictions based on religious texts to be complete and utter bullshit, not the least of which is because I tend to think "divine inspiration" in the form of organized narrative is just humans fooling themselves. But that's a discussion for another thread. Suffice to say, as valuable as texts might be for other reasons, there's nothing to make me think they can predict the future, and anyone who says they can is, as I said, fooling themselves.

You know, even if the end of the world is soon to be upon us - be it on the specified date or even on 12/21/12 for that matter - do you honestly expect me to believe that it will be as big and as bad as everyone's been talking about? If you want my opinion on the whole thing, I think it'll be just as much of a non-event as the whole Y2K scare was. And even if it does happen, I'm gonna have to agree with MM here, that it would have to take quite a lot in order for the entire Earth's population of animals, humans, plants and other such things to be all annihilated in one shot.

But then again, we don't know that for certain because that day isn't even here yet. So up until that day comes, enjoy life as you see fit. Besides, we're all gonna die at some point or another and don't let some asinine researcher or tambourine-shakin' witch doctor tell you otherwise.

It's always been my opinion that people get whatever they want to out of the bible. A lot of the wording is vague and could be molded to fit just about every ideology. That being said, it says right there in Genesis (after the whole flood debacle) that God promised Noah (and the future generations to come) that he would never destroy humanity again. Not in those exact words but that's the paraphrased version. Plain English, easy to read, no room for interpretation. All the whackado religious fanatics that believe anything to the contrary are, in my opinion, cuckoo bananas and need to find something better to do with their lives than rant about how the sinners of the world must repent before the almighty powers smite us with a fiery vengeance.

Disco_Lollipop said:
It's always been my opinion that people get whatever they want to out of the bible. A lot of the wording is vague and could be molded to fit just about every ideology. That being said, it says right there in Genesis (after the whole flood debacle) that God promised Noah (and the future generations to come) that he would never destroy humanity again. Not in those exact words but that's the paraphrased version. Plain English, easy to read, no room for interpretation. All the whackado religious fanatics that believe anything to the contrary are, in my opinion, cuckoo bananas and need to find something better to do with their lives than rant about how the sinners of the world must repent before the almighty powers smite us with a fiery vengeance.

For this to be accurate you're implying that the bible is true and Christianity is a valid belief, neither of which has been proven. I would like to point out that with all this talk of the end of the world I've never heard, not when talking about 2012 anyway, that the end of the world has anything to do with God. As I mentioned in my previous post the end of the world, as we see it is most likely the end of mankind which is in no way the same thing.

EnlightenedAneurysm said:
Disco_Lollipop said:

For this to be accurate you're implying that the bible is true and Christianity is a valid belief, neither of which has been proven. I would like to point out that with all this talk of the end of the world I've never heard, not when talking about 2012 anyway, that the end of the world has anything to do with God. As I mentioned in my previous post the end of the world, as we see it is most likely the end of mankind which is in no way the same thing.

That's all well and good but I was under the impression that this particular thread had more to do with opinion than actual fact, being that the topic under discussion is in itself only a theory. The thing about beliefs is that they are all valid to those that subscribe to them. I am a firm believer in God and have studied the Bible at length and can tell you with a reasonable amount of certainty that the end of the world that the Bible tells about is the same as the predicted events of 2012. Your way of thinking leads you to believe the things that you do and that is your right as a human being but I believe differently and have expressed them here, as is my right.

I've heard countless theories about the supposed end of the world. Most of it's just a bunch of BS writers pull outta their ass to put on a screen and call a fresh idea, but then you think about stuff that refers to Religion. No matter your beliefs, it's not hard to sit back and actually wonder if there's any truth behind the 2012 theory, or if it's just the result of a wild imagination.

They thought everything was going to explode in 2000, didn't they? Did anything explode? No. Nothing exploded. Everyone had this huge hysteria over their computers combusting all because the calender year system wasn't made for a fourth decimal. There's even stuff like Urraca Mesa (specifically the part in Anasazi & the Fifth Dimension where it states when the last totem falls, the portal's supposed to open- something the American Natives believe will be the start of the apocalypse). The lore's far fetched, sure. But there's no actual evidence that says "No, this is a bunch of crap." Not that I'm saying you should believe everything on the internet, mmkay. And we can't forget the mysterious ways all the birds and fish are dying lately, right?

Personally, I think humanity's just going to fuck itself over to the point where coming back from it's going to be impossible. Whether it be from war or pollution, ehh, it's kind of a balanced scale. My opinion, anyway.

Okay, so according to a brief summary, there's a lot of scholars who figure Revelation was written as sort of a coded way to talk about highly-charged local politics of the time, and was considered by the Nicean Council to have been written by John the Apostle, although later scholarship has cast a great deal (some would say conclusive, if you're looking at it from a purely historical perspective without the cloudy glasses of faith) of doubt on that claim.

This makes sense to me, because Revelation has been interpreted and reinterpreted throughout history to indicate the coming of the last days, but it never seems to actually get here. There's no conclusive evidence that a) it has any relevance to the modern world, and b) the signs spoken of in the text are actually happening, anyway.

And you can study all you like, years, decades even, but if your study materials are fucked, then your conclusions based on those materials are fucked. I have no idea what or how or to what extent you've actually studied, so I cannot determine the fuckedness of your conclusions. However, the mere claim of extensive research actually holds very little weight with me. I've done too much research myself to think that it's an objective process, and that all sources have the same weight or truth to them.

You're entitled to your opinions and beliefs, though. Just don't join a doomsday cult and drink the Kool-aid. That never works out, and it would be a bummer way for the rest of us to start 2013.

Mr Master said:
And you can study all you like, years, decades even, but if your study materials are fucked, then your conclusions based on those materials are fucked. I have no idea what or how or to what extent you've actually studied, so I cannot determine the fuckedness of your conclusions. However, the mere claim of extensive research actually holds very little weight with me. I've done too much research myself to think that it's an objective process, and that all sources have the same weight or truth to them.

You're entitled to your opinions and beliefs, though. Just don't join a doomsday cult and drink the Kool-aid. That never works out, and it would be a bummer way for the rest of us to start 2013.

Indeed. Do not drink the Kool-Aid.

Also, last I heard, Christians were saying that the stories in the bible were there as a moral compass instead of being fact (This mainly due to the fact that the stories have been around for thousands of years before the bible and when it was based), so maybe with Revelations they just figured it needed a good ending. I imagine it's quite hard to top a story in which lots of fish are made from few.

EnlightenedAneurysm said:
Also, last I heard, Christians were saying that the stories in the bible were there as a moral compass instead of being fact (This mainly due to the fact that the stories have been around for thousands of years before the bible and when it was based), so maybe with Revelations they just figured it needed a good ending. I imagine it's quite hard to top a story in which lots of fish are made from few.

Depends on the sect of Christians. There are hundreds, and more splintering off every day.

I don't remember much but I watched a documentary about a comet that will fly past us in the 10s or 20s and then in the 30s it will hit us unless we find a way to alter its flight plan. I think NASA or someone is working on it. -shrug-

I wonder if that was a documentary of the dangers of space-borne objects crashing to Earth in general, as akin to the dinosaur extinction event, and they used a comet as a fictional example, and they way they presented it made you think they were talking about something known and expected to actually happen. Because if there was a specific known threat, that was public enough to make a documentary about, I think I would have heard of it before now.

Mr Master said:
I wonder if that was a documentary of the dangers of space-borne objects crashing to Earth in general, as akin to the dinosaur extinction event, and they used a comet as a fictional example, and they way they presented it made you think they were talking about something known and expected to actually happen. Because if there was a specific known threat, that was public enough to make a documentary about, I think I would have heard of it before now.

I recall looking at a few Impact Risk sites when I made this thread. I only saw a 1 on The Torino Scale for the entire list.

http://neo.jpl.nasa.gov/risk/#legend

So, I think you're on the money. Buuut, then again... http://neo.jpl.nasa.gov/risk/removed.html

I believe that the world will end as it was described in Revelations. I also believe however, that no man or woman will ever be able to predict it, because, and paraphrasing because I cannot remember the verse, the Bible tells us that we will not know the day or the time at which it will happen. I think it's a mystery and will forever be a mystery. The 2012 stuff is only because the Mayan calender ended in 2012. All I know is that it's not something to worry about, because I won't have a danged clue when it's about to happen. Just listen for the trumpets and watch for the Anti-Christ trying to take control of the entire world (like Oprah <_<) and don't let the government or any power take control of your entire life.

Back
Top Bottom