Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Are some face claims over done?

Triss Merigold

Planetoid
After a recent conversation on here I found out that the other user came across a lot of partners using redhead face claims. I had thought that would be unique as I myself like interesting looking characters to keep things fresh. He said that there are a decent number of blonde character face claims but hardly any brunettes. Purely just as an insight I'd be interested into what kind of face claims people run into a lot. Not to start a complaining fest just collecting information, but since I primarily write with males I don't really know what other female writers are up to. Or maybe it doesn't matter to you. I'd just like to hear your thoughts on the matter.

I personally don't see the same FC used very often - admittedly I tend to go with and prefer drawn art over real people. That being said, it can be hard for me to find good RL male faceclaims, so I tend to stick with a small grouping of them admittedly.

I try not to use the same face claim in my active roleplays. But I do tend to use the same ones over and over. I always try to find a face claim that fits my character. Some face claims look more innocent than others, while some already have this feisty vibe about them. When it comes to hair color, I don't see why one should be preferred over another, or why one color is considered "overused". I mean, unless your character dyes her hair, their hair color shouldn't really matter. Of course, people are allowed to have preferences and favorites, but telling a partner that they can't use a face claim because it has the same hair color as this or that, is unfair. I rarely use redheads, actually. Blondes and brunettes are my go-to, but I do believe that's because most actresses and actors have blonde or brown hair. Only a fraction has red. I couldn't care less what hair color my character has or my partner's character' hair color. It's their personality and portrayal of the character that I find interesting.

I'd say it depends, but yeah I do see some repeats a lot of the times. It probably doesn't help I tend to use fictional FCs mostly and as such people tend to prefer using the same back which drawn wise there is a smaller collection of male images compared to female generally to find. That said though, I've also seen many of the same characters used in different places by people. I mean heck, if you talk pfp and avatars in general you start noticing a LOT of repeats, I'd say more so then in RPs. Often people like using new characters which is where you will see that happen. In RP format it's less common but I can call a lot of times I've seen some characters used as a reference in many RPs before several times over.

Generally in group RPs I will try and use a variety (TTRPGs I almost always try and aim for a new character look to use) though in 1 on 1... I can end up leaning towards particular looks more often then others I just happen to like without feeling guilty.

Oh, as an example my Pfp here? I don't actually use that appearance for my FC in any RPs I do. I use it exclusively for here rather then having it as an option I use in an actual RP setting. Not that I wouldn't ever switch to perhaps an image I liked and I happened to have as part of my album, but I'd generally lean away from doing so.

I'd say it depends, but yeah I do see some repeats a lot of the times. It probably doesn't help I tend to use fictional FCs mostly and as such people tend to prefer using the same back which drawn wise there is a smaller collection of male images compared to female generally to find. That said though, I've also seen many of the same characters used in different places by people. I mean heck, if you talk pfp and avatars in general you start noticing a LOT of repeats, I'd say more so then in RPs. Often people like using new characters which is where you will see that happen. In RP format it's less common but I can call a lot of times I've seen some characters used as a reference in many RPs before several times over.

Generally in group RPs I will try and use a variety (TTRPGs I almost always try and aim for a new character look to use) though in 1 on 1... I can end up leaning towards particular looks more often then others I just happen to like without feeling guilty.

Oh, as an example my Pfp here? I don't actually use that appearance for my FC in any RPs I do. I use it exclusively for here rather then having it as an option I use in an actual RP setting. Not that I wouldn't ever switch to perhaps an image I liked and I happened to have as part of my album, but I'd generally lean away from doing so.
Strictly out of curiosity, is there any reason you do not use the Pfp you have, as one of the FC options? Does that one hold a special meaning to you or something?

Strictly out of curiosity, is there any reason you do not use the Pfp you have, as one of the FC options? Does that one hold a special meaning to you or something?
I suppose 1 big factor is that since I am using it as my pfp, it in some part feels like it becomes 'me' which makes me feel awkward using it. Obviously I'm not my Pfp (I know very mind-blowing statement to make) though given pfp is used in some part as a way to identify me on a site it just makes it feel a bit more personal. To a lesser extent, it would also feel like reusing the same character as well, which I tend to like to change things up.

I suppose 1 big factor is that since I am using it as my pfp, it in some part feels like it becomes 'me' which makes me feel awkward using it. Obviously I'm not my Pfp (I know very mind-blowing statement to make) though given pfp is used in some part as a way to identify me on a site it just makes it feel a bit more personal. To a lesser extent, it would also feel like reusing the same character as well, which I tend to like to change things up.

I can totally relate to this! Kinda. I've got a couple of face claims I would never use, because I'm too "attached" to their faces. Like, some of my friends have this inside joke that I look like Jennifer Lawrence (because I had dark hair like Katniss once upon a time), and I love her as an actress and a person, but I could never use her as a face claim, because it would just feel too personal for me. The same goes for Emma Watson. I respect her too much, because I'm such a Harry Potter fan, I could never use her face in a setting like this. I also struggle to use face claims of actresses that I also follow on social media, because they too feel "too close to home" for me (Millie Bobby Brown and Selena Gomez). I could never use Millie, even though she's old enough now and very pretty. And Selena is just too great of a person, I wouldn't want to 'ruin' it by using her face in my roleplays. It just feels weird. To me at least. Others probably wouldn't bat an eye.

I can totally relate to this! Kinda. I've got a couple of face claims I would never use, because I'm too "attached" to their faces. Like, some of my friends have this inside joke that I look like Jennifer Lawrence (because I had dark hair like Katniss once upon a time), and I love her as an actress and a person, but I could never use her as a face claim, because it would just feel too personal for me. The same goes for Emma Watson. I respect her too much, because I'm such a Harry Potter fan, I could never use her face in a setting like this. I also struggle to use face claims of actresses that I also follow on social media, because they too feel "too close to home" for me (Millie Bobby Brown and Selena Gomez). I could never use Millie, even though she's old enough now and very pretty. And Selena is just too great of a person, I wouldn't want to 'ruin' it by using her face in my roleplays. It just feels weird. To me at least. Others probably wouldn't bat an eye.
That is why I always prefer drawn/animated FC. I feel really weird when RL pictures are being used, even if I do not know the person in the picture...I just assume that person is not aware what their picture is being used for, and that feels wrong to me. I know a lot of people only want to see RL face claims, but I much prefer drawn/animated. Even my own pfp is of my Second Life avatar, just touched up a little using AI.

That is why I always prefer drawn/animated FC. I feel really weird when RL pictures are being used, even if I do not know the person in the picture...I just assume that person is not aware what their picture is being used for, and that feels wrong to me. I know a lot of people only want to see RL face claims, but I much prefer drawn/animated. Even my own pfp is of my Second Life avatar, just touched up a little using AI.

That's why I only use actors and actresses when I use real-life face claims because that way I can imagine them playing my character. I would never use just a picture of a random person, or even an influencer/model, because they are just themselves and that would be too "personal" indeed.

Female redheads are frequently eroticized, as well as Asian girls and black men.

I personally have a preference for written description over using images. It provides endless options and is in itself a good writing practice. I've also always found it fun to write/write against some of the less commonly-represented races and ethnicities. I'll even go a step beyond that and happily consider bald men, individuals with vitiligo, albinism, eyepatches, etc..

Female redheads are frequently eroticized, as well as Asian girls and black men.

I personally have a preference for written description over using images. It provides endless options and is in itself a good writing practice. I've also always found it fun to write/write against some of the less commonly-represented races and ethnicities. I'll even go a step beyond that and happily consider bald men, individuals with vitiligo, albinism, eyepatches, etc..
I will fall back on written descriptions when I can't find a face claim that really captures the character that I have in my head and the image of them is clear. Though I've also found the process of finding a face claim helps me develop a character more at times. I completely agree with trying to get some more variety in things as it's more fun to write, though I shy away from writing races outside my own most times. Which really shouldn't matter, it's a character, not myself but I feel uncomfortable if it get fetishized in a strange way. Though being of a very mixed European heritage I am happy to through different cultural types within that spectrum to give a little extra pizzazz. Different body types and unique details I absolutely love to see, I don't think I've ever had a character with an eye patch, but I love that idea! I mean the tall strong dark haired guy is great but it can be a bit generic feeling. That being said I feel like a characters personality and backstory are more important than just their looks.

It's been great hearing everyone's opinions though. I stay pretty set on my characters once they've been formed in my mind for a particular story but I do like to hear other people's perspectives and experiences writing here.

It's hard to get a gauge how often people use the same faceclaim when most of the RP that take place on BMR is via PMs.

Personally I've only recycled faceclaims once or twice, and usually because the RP dies early enough that I don't associate that faceclaim heavily with a particular character. I can also see myself recycling faceclaims IF I plan on recycling the entire character. That doesn't happen too often though because I like making new characters too much >.>

I have seen different partners present the same faceclaim as possible options before, which gets to the heart of this thread. I assume that's because a lot of folks (including myself) default to using pinterest as a search engine when looking for faceclaims.

Oh, also, certain 'famous' anime/video game characters show up as common faceclaims a lot for various OC's. e.g. Tifa Lockhart from FFVII, Ahri from League of Legends...

I tend to look for what suits my characters, though sometimes if I am with a partner and they have a request for a certain face claim (Stephen James for example, or Margot Robbie) for that character and the set up and everything else is in place I will go with what my partner likes. having said that sometimes someone can have multiple looks that work, and if i am not currently using them for something I might use them for something else, be that Tom Hiddleston as a Vampire or as a Spy.. also if I am playing a cannon character and they have a live action adaptation I will often use that version as my faceclaim, even if I am putting my own stamp on it/going for more of a comic or game backstory.. See Anna Diop as Starfire for example

as someone who does write mostly with women, i agree that there are certain looks that are very common — sometimes, there are specific fcs that are used a lot. a few years back, i'd see a lot of ariana grande, nina dobrev, madeleine petsch, and now it's more like sydney sweeney, jenna ortega, what have you. the 'it' girls of any given moment.

i definitely agree that red-heads are a suuuuper common choices, and not only that, but 9 times outta 10 they lean so hard into the 'fiery redhead' trope, it's such an ick for me 😭 bonus points if she's southern (american) or irish.

i personally have mostly asian or black fcs (if not drawn ones), and i rarely ever reuse them. i can think of maybe three that i've used for multiple ocs — either they have incredible range, i don't use the original oc, or it's for a (probably animated) fandom with an uncommon / hard to match art style.​

I've become sick of Sophie Turner because of how popular an option she is as a celebrity face claim.

So yes, definitely a lot of the same choices in threads.

My current favorite character to write is a redhead, and her appearance is important, but it is entirely secondary to nearly every other element of her personality. She's hot, but her appearance is 25% of this.

I try not to recycle them but I definitely have in the past and my opinion is pretty simple on it.

It doesn't matter. Find one that resonates with you and your character, and if it's so good you want to use it again, if it's really that perfect for you and your writing then why not? I don't think overdone comes into it, it's all about how you feel when using it.

I have a roster of characters original and existing that I like to use in different situations. I can’t say I see too many males using the same images. My peeve is with the names and archetypes. Jake, Jason and Alex overwhelm the site, and the number of high school swimmers in outstanding.

I have a roster of characters original and existing that I like to use in different situations. I can’t say I see too many males using the same images. My peeve is with the names and archetypes. Jake, Jason and Alex overwhelm the site, and the number of high school swimmers in outstanding.

So...a high school swimmer named Alex Jason for my next character, then. On it. ;)

I'm fine with any non anime. I do notice some are very popular. Can't remember their names lol. Famous actors.

I personally have a bit of an "ick" about RL face claims. It just bugs me because I can't help but see it as "this real life person in the role of [insert character]" rather as the character themselves. I feel the same about characters who are already existing. Like, if your face claim is an anime character like Hinata from Naruto, I see it as "Naruto's Hinata in the role of [insert character]" and it breaks my immersion. But, you know, that's just a me thing. As a result, I do not see a lot of the same FCs popping up by the nature of my own... pickiness?

I personally have a bit of an "ick" about RL face claims. It just bugs me because I can't help but see it as "this real life person in the role of [insert character]" rather as the character themselves. I feel the same about characters who are already existing. Like, if your face claim is an anime character like Hinata from Naruto, I see it as "Naruto's Hinata in the role of [insert character]" and it breaks my immersion. But, you know, that's just a me thing. As a result, I do not see a lot of the same FCs popping up by the nature of my own... pickiness?​
i’m gonna go ahead and guess that this particular question wasn’t for you, then!​

I am of course only speaking for myself, but few things drops my interest as RL face claims of famous actresses that - in my brain-damaged mode of thinking - "all look the same". I feel like there is little character in those face claims, it looks... blasé and uninteresting when it is the same "top 10 most attractive Hollywood stars" over and over again.

Back
Top Bottom