Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Ties That Bind: A Fort Salem Story (Spitfire & Katu)

Spitfire

Super-Earth
Fort Salem, Massachusetts. April, 1860. Beltane Approaches.

The Farringtons and Johnstons have had a century-long kinship in this country. Mothers, daughters, and sisters who trained, fought, and died side-by-side with one another. The families of witches wedded and had children through generations of friendships and affectionate rivalries. Rarely was there a Farrington witch in platoon without a Johnston close by.

Esme was the youngest of the Farrington matriline and like those before her, she remained close to the Johnstons of her generation. Johanna, Jacob, and Jonathan. She wrote to Johanna often, Jonathan occasionally, though the history between herself and Jacob made for tense conversations in person so correspondence was largely unwelcome. Looking forward to the holiday and her friend's arrival, she wrote...

Dear Mister Johnston,

I hope this letter finds you well. It has been some time since I last wrote so with Beltane and your visit to Fort Salem on the horizon, I do hope that you'll forgive me. Training in General Alder's army is not for the faint of heart and time is incredibly limited. We have quite a lot of catching up to do regarding the few months since Solstice. Clara joined the Biddies after Theresa's passing in January. Cousin Hetty passed away two weeks later. However, the birth of her third son has brought the family joy in the face of such a tragedy. They named him Henry.

It had never crossed my mind not to say the words when Conscription Day came but Clara did remind me of what that meant for our family, and for me personally. There are no other matrilines that have been whittled down to one with such rapidity. However, I have always planned to pledge myself to our nation's army so I stand with pride, and with a Bellweather leading my unit no less. Lydia isn't so awful and Cassandra Quartermaine is a force like no other. Not to sound boastful but I do enjoy seeing our daily rankings.

As much as I respect Lydia, I'm told your sister is an incredible unit leader. I would have liked to have begun training with her last year. It would've been nice if our mothers had simply planned their children better. Instead of Johanna in my year, I am perpetually paired with you or Jacob. Seems a cruel fate for your brother, to be sure. Let us hope Beltane doesn't repeat my debut. However, I am certain Lydia would welcome any chance to defend my honor to a Swythe. While I don't understand their bitter rivalry, it is fascinating to see how they strive for improvement, not for the sake of their own betterment but simply to best one another.

No matter how Jacob decides to greet me, I do hope that you and I will remain friends. I am so looking forward to seeing you. I want to hear all about your experience with weaponsmithing. The scourge has become my favorite among them.

Sincerely,
Esme Farrington

The letter is enclosed in a linen paper envelope, stamped with the Farrington seal in silver wax.

Last edited:
Fort Devens, Massachusetts, April 1860.

The letter sat on Jonathan's desk, as it had for the last hour. He knew who had sent it, and while his heart fluttered at the thought that she'd written to him, he felt too nervous to open it. The timing could not be an accident. Beltane was approaching. The time for the journey to Fort Salem when he and his fellow cadets would... He shivered. What if she didn't want to... what if she did? Both options sent his mind whirling.

He spun the letter in his hands, the silver Farrington seal looking at him.

"It's a pretty seal, but I bet she meant for you to spend more time admiring the letter's contents." Carter's grin was apparent in his voice, though Jonathan still turned to look at him.

"Don't you have something to do?"

"Certainly, once I've seen that you actually open your mail, I'll get to it."

"I'm not going to read it to you."

"You won't have to Johnston. I can read a face, and yours is rarely complicated."

"What is it telling you right now?" Jonathan glared.

"Don't change the subject. Get on with it." Carter gestured.

Rolling his eyes, Jonathan broke the seal, unfolded the letter and read. He attempted to keep his face as still as possible before he turned to Carter. "Satisfied?"

"Quite." He turned on heel and walked on, undoubtably to harass someone else.

Once alone, Jonathan allowed himself a sigh. The letter was merely friendly, and without expectations. Though it also gave him the feeling that he was playing second fiddle to Jacob when it came to her affections again. Since taking Jacob's place and dancing with her at her debut, Jonathan had had a difficult time getting her out of his head. Even though it had always been assumed that she'd end up with Jacob.

He retrieved pen and paper and began writing.

Miss Farrington,

It gladdens me to hear from you, and that you are doing well in Fort Salem. Though my thoughts have been with you and your family from the passing of Theresa and Hetty. I've of course heard the stories of the Bellweathers, and while I'm sure that everyone has told you what an honor it is to serve with her, I hope she recognizes the fortune of having you in her unit. If she hasn't, I have little doubt that she will learn in due time.

I have not talked to my brother in quite some time because of regulations we train in different units, though I am certain he looks forward to seeing you, as do I. You remain very dear in my heart, and that shall not change, regardless of any of Jacob's actions. Once again, I do apologize for his behavior at your debut.

Beltane can not get hear quickly enough. I cannot wait to see you and show you what I have learned.

Yours,
Jonathan Johnston.

Holding her glee at seeing the letter, Esme made her way to her barracks. Lydia sitting on her bed and giving Cassandra a knowing look. The Bellweathers weren't known to be nosey gossipers but the Unit Leader made it her business to know everyone's business. 'Intelligence gathering' she called it. One could only make sense of it because she rarely shared any knowledge she held unless it was suitable to do so. "My Dearest Esme," she said in a mocking version of a man's voice, "my loins burn for you..."

"Would you stop that?" Cassandra threw a sock at the young woman. "If your loins are burning, My Dearest Lydia, perhaps you should see a doctor... and be more selective about those you choose to... couple... with." Lydia feigned offense before turning her attention back to Esme. However, Cassandra speaks again before Bellweather has the chance, "I'm guessing it's from Jonathan Johnston. We can give you time alone if you'd like."

"Like hell!"

"That's... quite alright," Esme said with a shy laugh as she opened the letter. 'Miss Farrington' wasn't the best start and the letter was short. She knew he wasn't prone to waxing poetic so she fought against being immediately disheartened and continued to read. 'You remain very dear in my heart' and 'Yours' were quite promising, however.

Lydia laughed at the slightest blush and Cassandra threw the matching sock, "Don't you have a Swythe to harangue? She was looking particularly smug today. Go be a dark cloud on her for a while."

"She's smug because she knows what's coming and who it brings," Lydia said with a roll of her eyes before Cassandra glared at her in silence. "Yes, perhaps I should make sure she's not getting an overly inflated ego." With that, Bellweather left their room and went to find somewhere else to be.

"She didn't mean..."

"Don't apologize for her. She's a grown woman and perfectly capable of doing so herself."

Cassandra sighed and nodded, "What did he say? Did you tell him about...?"

"Most assuredly not! One does not simply write that in a letter."

"When are you going to tell him then?"

"When he's here. Preferably after we're paired in the dance."

"I'll take his brother if it means you get to match with Jonathan."

"Sadly, we do not get to decide that."

That wasn't something Cassandra could truly argue against so she fell silent and allowed Esme to write in peace.

On the same stationery, the letter itself was given a touch of her perfume before being enclosed and sealed.

Dear Mister Johnston,

I hope this letter reaches you before you depart for Fort Salem. I admit that it does bring me joy to know you think of me often. The sentiment is quite mutual. However, I don't expect you to apologize for your brother's follies, I simply meant that I hope the Beltane dance sees fit to pair me with someone other than Jacob. I'm not so fond of him for obvious reasons and I would hate for him to have expectations of me that I would have to refuse to fulfill.

Bellweather is quite a leader and I am certain she sees Cassandra and myself for the fine soldiers we are. A good leader knows she does not rise to the top alone and I find her to be a good leader. I do get the feeling they are looking forward to meeting you as well. I must confess that I've begun to speak of you often as the time of our reunion closes in. I am quite excited to see you, though that frightens me to put to paper.

I will see you soon, Jonathan Johnston.

Yours,
Esme Farrington

Final preparations for the journey to Fort Salem were well underway when another letter with a silver wax seal arrived for Jonathan. Thankfully Carter was nowhere to be seen, though there was no time to waste with indecision. If he didn't read Esme's words now, he wouldn't receive the chance to do so in private. The train with its cramped seating would hardly allow him to discreetly view the letter. So, he sat at his desk and broke the seal.

Esme's scent filled his nostrils instantly. He closed his eyes and was transported through space and time to dancing with her at her debut. He could still feel the fabric of her gown on his fingertips, and how her waist felt against his hand. He swallowed hard, and opened his eyes, reading the words. The letter was more than he could have hope for. She clearly did not pine for Jacob, as he had feared. Instead, the letter nearly asserted that he had captured her attention and affection. That she spoke of him to her unit made his heart race. He immediately pulled out parchment and a quill, but the playing of a bugal made it clear. They were to assemble to move out... now.

He quickly but carefully secured the letter in his haversack, straightened his tan uniform and walked briskly to the parade ground, and took his spot in formation just as the final call to assembly sounded. The entire class of cadets fell out. The nerves were palpable, each man hoped that he would find a partner for Beltane, and couldn't help but hope at who it might be. Esme's letter had only increased Jonathan's trepidation. He certainly wished to be paired with her, but what if she didn't desire the same thing? What if they weren't paired? He caught Jacob's eyes as they reached the train station. What if he was paired with her? Jonathan wasn't sure he could take it.

The train ride would take most of the afternoon, but they arrived in Salem well before dusk, then it was a short march to Salem. Their drummers played with extra fervor as they approached the massive fort. Jonathan's breath caught as he saw lines of blue... women in uniform awaiting their arrival.

Knowing she shouldn't expect another letter, Esme simply tried to focus on training but it was waning and Lydia took note. "Goddess abide, Farrington, get your head together. We've slipped in daily rankings," the unit leader said as they took a table in the mess hall. "I suppose you'll get it together after your consummation tomorrow," Lydia whispered. Esme kicked her under the table. "Ouch. That was unnecessary."

"A lady doesn't speak of such things," Esme replied with a pointed look.

Cassandra let out an unbecoming snort of laughter, "Your first mistake is assuming Bellweather is a lady."

Lydia scowled, "Actually, her first mistake was choosing the wrong brother. Let Swythe have Jacob."

"I didn't choose him the first time. We were paired..." Pausing, she let out a sharp sigh. "I shouldn't have to explain these things to you two. You were paired with Phillip Wardwell of all people." Astrologically speaking, the only reason she was assigned Jacob as her cavalier was that he was the elder of the twins. Esme tried not to dwell on the thought of a second round of disappointment. Matching with Jacob again wasn't a possibility she enjoyed entertaining but sulking was also unladylike.

Cassandra sighed, "This is likely going to be a very tense game of musical chairs."

When the time came for the men to arrive, the soldiers lined up along the path into the main building to greet them. The moment they marched into sight, some of the women began to whistle their appreciation. Esme stood with her unit, at ease, with her eyes ahead. It wasn't expected of them but it was the only way she could think to hold her composure.

It was working until Lydia nudged her and made a joke about the approaching Johnston brothers. While the Bellweather knew the family, she had very little to do with them. However, Swythe's description of the young man she admired included details Esme thought couldn't possibly true. First and foremost, he was certainly not the more handsome of the brothers.

Esme searched the company for Jonathan and her eyes lit up when she spotted him. Had he received her last letter in time? Did he know how much she had truly been longing to see him? Did he feel the same?

As the men closed in on the end of their march, the women began to stomp their feet rapidly. Announcements were made, informing the men of where they'd be lodging and that dinner would be served in an hour. Esme hardly heard any of it although they'd already been briefed on what to expect upon their male counterparts' arrival and what would follow. Her eyes were on Jonathan.

More stomping indicated the announcements were over and the men would be permitted to file into the building, find their rooms, and begin mingling. It was expected that the cadets would get to know many in their midst and not spend too much time with any one person but Esme had no desire to speak to anyone but him. She had so much to tell him and she wanted to hear everything about his experience at Fort Devens, even if it meant she had to hear about flirtation tactics and the ways they learned to endear themselves to those of the opposite sex.

It wasn't easy to maintain discipline as Fort Salem's cadets whistled, and spoke about them in whispers that were barely hushed. Jonathan had fully intended to keep his eyes forward, to not make eye contact with any of them, however he could not help but scan the crowd for Esme. He searched, but with each woman dressed in similar fashion, it was difficult. Making matters worse, his eyes briefly locked with a tall redhead who beamed a smile at him as she stomped her feet excitedly. Jonathan quickly looked away. He would have welcomed the attention if not for his feelings towards Esme. The last thing that he wanted to do was to begin connecting with anyone else.

Amongst all the cadets, both in blue and tan there was palpable excitement, though the men were expected to show restraint, to hold order and discipline. He continued searching, and at last he saw her. Esme was looking directly at him, her eyes alight. Jonathan couldn't help but smile back at her, though he quickly trained his face back to to forward, though he couldn't stop his lips from curling upward no matter how hard he tried. He also found it impossible to stop looking over at her repeatedly, even if he snapped his gaze back when he realized what he was doing.

At the end of announcements, the men were dismissed to find their quarters. The building set aside for them was modern and comfortable. Jonathan removed his tan cap to reveal his short dark hair, and found the room where he'd be bunking, along with 5 others. He breathed a sigh of relief to see that his brother would be elsewhere. He took his time unpacking, making sure that everything was arranged for tomorrow. His formal attire was hung on hooks, his shaving soap and straight razer set on a desk. Like all cadets, he kept himself clean shaven, though he indented to stay that way after graduation. He had little interest in the beards that so many found fashionable. His brown eyes glanced at himself in the small mirror that had been provided.

Taking a deep breath, he departed the room and walked to the large meeting room where the females cadets awaited them. He searched for Esme, but the redhead from before found him first. "Jonathan Johnston, right?" She asked. "I'm Brianna. I've heard a lot about you... and your brother."

"Nice to meet you, you are quite correct. Jacob is the famous one, I'm just lucky to be related to him." Frantically, he looked past Brianna for Esme. Finally he made eye contact. His eyes pleaded with her to rescue him.

"Oh rubbish," the redhead touched his elbow. "I'm sure you have plenty of ability."

Jonathan only chuckled, silently hoping Esme would arrive.

Her heart skipped at the feeling of his eyes on her and the smile he gave her nearly made her melt. Quartermaine nudged her with an elbow and she swallowed hard. Her teammate reminded her that she was meant to spend time with a plethora of men over the course of the evening and during the day of Beltane before the dance. It was clear the repeated lecture fell on deaf ears as Esme nodded in agreement but barely looked away from her intended match.

Once they were free to interact, Esme began to search for Jonathan while also attempting to avoid his brother. The letter made it sound as though there was more to the twins not communicating than simply being busy. Part of her hoped the trend lasted at least the holiday. She did not want to be forced to spend time with Jacob in order to spend time with Jonathan.

As she made her ways around the room in search of him, she simply smiled and nodded to anyone else who tried to engage with her. When she spotted him, with the expression that begged her for help, how could she resist? "Jonathan," she spoke softly, her tone almost giving away her adoration, "I'm so glad you've come." Subtly placing her arm around his, she looked up at the redhead, "I see you've met Brianna Guthrie. Her unit is led by Elizabeth Buttonwood." Another prominent family. "I'm sorry Guthrie but Johnston and I have a lot of catching up to do. Would you mind terribly if I steal him away? Of course not. You're so kind."

Esme said nothing more to the young woman as she guided Jonathan away, trying to maintain a sense of calm so as to avoid rushing off with him to somewhere private. "I'm so glad to see you," unable to hide her own grin. "Did you... receive my last letter?"

This was of course a time meant for mingling, for speaking with as many women as possible. Logically, both he and Esme should spend some time meeting other cadets, for his part Jonathan only wanted to spend time with her. However, it would be catastrophic to be rude to Brianna. Thankfully, his silent pleas did not go unnoticed. Esme approached and assertively intertwined their arms. Her scent, quite familiar from the letter, filled his nostrils. He said nothing, but nodded in agreement that he needed to speak to Esme privately. Her ability to take charge of the situation impressed him. Brianna did not try to hide her disappointment, but did not protest. Clearly, more than happy to mingle with other gentlemen. For his part, Jonathan hoped she'd seek out Jacob, if that's who'd she rather see anyway.

He allowed her to guide him away from her, not really caring where they went - it wasn't as though he knew where to go, after all. "I received it just before we shipped out." He answered her question. "I was very happy to get it," he didn't mention that he had brought it with him, or that he had reached into his haversack numerous times, just to feel it, on the way there. "I too hope that the Beltane dance pairs you with someone other than Jacob." It was much more forward than one would consider gentlemanly, but he felt compelled to hint at his desires in a not so subtle manner. "I had such a wonderful time dancing with you at your debut, perhaps we might find each other tomorrow."

Even as he spoke, his cheeks reddened slightly. Across the room, Jacob was speaking to the Swythe girl he had danced with first at Esme's debut. "That didn't take long." he muttered.

While Brianna didn't bother to hide her disappointment, Esme tried her best not to gloat. In her nearly humble opinion, she had the most charming and handsome man on her arm and she did intend to keep it that way. She smiled and nodded, assuming that he simply meant to save her the embarrassment that would have come from matching with his brother a second time. However, his further comment nearly stopped her heart. "Would you...?"

Her thought was broken as he pointed at the other pair across the room. It wasn't that she was jealous or wanted Jacob in any way, but the reminder of her very public humiliation was almost too much to bare. She swallowed hard and nodded slightly, the tension in her body becoming quite clear, "I suppose in some ways I expected as much." With a sigh, she drew closer and whispered, "But that's no matter. I would very much enjoy us finding one another tomorrow... in the dance... Hopefully at the end at the very least." It was much more forward than she'd ever been, with anyone, but she wanted to make her intentions clear lest he be tempted elsewhere. She may not have been aware of the men looking at her, but she knew he caught many eyes and she wanted to discourage as many women as possible.

"There's a wonderful promenade through the garden. Would you like to take a walk before dinner?" Immediately feeling silly. "Oh my... You've marched all the way from the train station, you probably want to rest. We can go to the library instead?"

The joy Jonathan felt was hard to put into words. Ever since Esme's debut he had hoped that perhaps they would find each other at Beltane. Even now, nothing was certain, but he certainly felt as though the dance would likely bring them together. If it didn't.... He refused to think about that. If the dance would not pair them now, then they truly were not meant to be. At least now he was confident that he'd done all he possibly could do. For now, it was all up to fate. He could rest with that.

Of course the scent of her perfume on that letter might make sleep this evening difficult.

"The march to and from the train stations was not so far, hardly even worth calling a march." He said with some boastfulness. "I should very much enjoy a walk through the gardens with you." He had heard tales of both the Library and the Gardens at Fort Salem. Both were very well spoken of. "Though, I'd also like to see the library, before we return to Fort Devens." In truth, he'd take any excuse to spend time with her, away from the others. He did not care to see what was becoming of Jacob. He also had no desire to interact with any of Esme's fellow cadets, lest he tempt fate for tomorrow.

"I will gladly show you any part of our campus I'm permitted," she spoke cheerily as she led him outside into the crisp spring evening. "They've already begun preparations for tomorrow so the garden has even more color and excitement than it usually does," walking a bit closer to him, she kept her voice low, her tone almost seductive. "I can almost feel it all around. The buzzing energy like a swarm of bees." She giggled lightly, obviously the connotation wasn't negative. However, she was feeling the buzzing in her stomach and her chest. She knew she wanted to be matched with him but she hadn't realized how much she was physically longing until she was in his presence. Part of her didn't want to wait but she'd made a promise to herself that Beltane would be the time.

She led him along the path and into the garden where large canopy tents were being set up in the bare grass areas. With brilliantly-colored pillows, blankets, and streams of fabric that created the curtains, tied back. "It's going to be beautiful," her tone almost in awe. "I can hardly wait, I'm so excited." A tingling sensation ran through her at the thought of spending the night in a tent with him, sharing fruit and wine. And so much more. It was most assuredly the 'more' part that she was looking forward to.

"Tell me all about what you have been doing the last few months."

Though he had never been to Fort Salem before, Jonathan could recognize how much effort had been put into Beltane preparations, allowing himself to be led by Esme, he took the opportunity to admire the gardens. The pillows and blankets on the ground made him blush once he figured out the reason for them. Was it possible that the two of them would soon be lying upon them? It was almost enough to make him tremble.

"Ah... the last few months." Her questions took a few moments to register. "Basic has been... challenging." He said with some reluctance. He didn't want to discuss the issues he'd been having. "Though my work is getting better. I really have done quite well making weapons. I made a scourge the other day that I'm sure you'd be impressed with. You said that's your favorite weapon?" He hoped to change the subject a bit.

"It is," she says with a grin, her vibrant green eyes looking deeply into his. "I was told the men had a particular Beltane tradition with the scourges they make in the week beforehand." Of course, she was hoping to be the recipient of his handcrafted weapon, but she wasn't so gauche as to ask if he'd chosen her. She had to wait until the following day and training to see if he would show her his favor before the dance. They still had an entire day to mingle with the other cadets before he had to decide.

"I have grown quite fond of the whip. It requires agility and awareness, especially when operating with a unit. We've been doing well with them. High marks and such." She gives him another confident smile as she looks up at him. "Pray tell... What part of training could possibly be challenging for someone as astute and gifted as you?"

The talk of her moving agilely while spinning a scourge. He had heard stories, but hadn't witnessed a witch with a whip yet in his life, so his mind filled in the gaps. He pictured her gripping the weapon he'd made, her fingers on the leather handle, spinning the woven braid. He managed a weak smile as she danced in his mind. "I can only imagine your skill." He said a bit breathlessly, betraying where his mind was.

Though, his hope that he might distract from his challenges fell short. She brought the conversation back around to him. "I've been told that I have a lot of potential, but..." He looked down at the manicured grass. "I have trouble controlling my voice. If something requires a lot of force... there's no problem. I can windstrike as well as anyone.... but I have no subtly, and it's been.... difficult."

Giggling slightly at his reaction to her mention of skill, her expression changed as he opened up about his difficulties. The confession wasn't something to be taken lightly as she was certain it was likely a cause of no insignificant amount of stress for him. "Reigning in a lot of power can be a challenge but... if you're up to it... I'm sure I can help in that regard. I can teach you how to be... a bit more gentle with your talents." The comment may or may not have been suggestive. "I'm always happy to help, Jonathan. Truly."

She whispered, "Although... I'm sure you'll get to see me in the demonstration tomorrow. After the presenting of gifts, the top units get a chance to... show of a little... specifically for the men who offer us their weapons." The double entendre of her comment was not by accident and the look in her eyes made that fact incredibly evident. "I am also looking forward to the opportunity to display the skills I've learned in my time here."

Last edited:
Her giggle was enough to make him blush a bit more. Though he beamed a smile at her offer to help. "I have no doubt that you'd be a massive help. If only they'd let you come with me... or let me train here with you." He paused, actually contemplating getting to spend his days with her. If only that were possible. Though he suddenly wondered what she meant by gentling his talents. Was she flirting with him?

The double meaning of accepting his weapon was not lost on him. He was sure he caught a twinkle in her green eyes. He looked around, it was just the two of them. He did not want to be too forward. It was ungentlemanly after all to seem too interested, but somehow he felt that Esme would much prefer to be flirted with as well, rather than just watch him swoon. "Well, mine is quite a weapon. It might not be so easy to handle. Do you think you're skillful enough?" His smile was gone, but his eyes were alight. He was clearly flirting - or at least attempting to.

It was then her turn to blush. Not only were they eluding to his manhood, but to her abilities to please. Her skill in regards to battle training was well-tested and proven. Her skill with men was hardly tested and thus far had proven more than insufficient to even keep one interested, except for Jonathan himself. She didn't want to over-state herself and then have to tell him later she was inexperienced. And she did want to tell him she'd been saving herself. However, she had assumed that conversation would be after the dance and before any sort of consummation.

She was suddenly very nervous, her flirtations cut short by concern. What if he, like his brother, wanted someone who knew how to please a man? "I..." That wasn't a good start so she stopped and tried again. "I'm honestly... not sure that I am." She didn't pull away from him but she did look down as they continued along the path. "There are some facets I'm... not experienced in. Though... I would consider myself eager to learn. To try anyway." She sighed, wondering if he would laugh at her or pity her.

Instantly, Jonathan realized that he had gone too far, and had actually made her unsure of herself. This was the last thing that he wanted. He reminded himself that she had seen Jacob opt for the more experienced Swythe girl at her debut. What he had intended to be flirtatious instead probably brought up some of her insecurity. Now, he needed to patch things up. He'd not allow her to feel unsure of herself, or his feelings for her.

He touched his hand to hers, holding it. "You are the only person I'd want touching either of my weapons." He grinned. "When I braided the scourge, I had you and you alone in mind. I'm sure Brianna is a nice gal, I'm sure there are plenty of competent witches... I only want to spend Beltane with you." He paused. "If you'll have me, and the dance pairs us. I don't want to think about any alternative."

She giggled again at his comment about both of his 'weapons' and felt herself flush at the confession that she was the only one he wanted, physically. The fact that he only thought of her in that regard was a relief, but at the same was also terribly exciting. "Neither do I," she said quietly. "She is nice. And a formidable opponent. She will make an incredible soldier and teammate. But I don't want to think about her. I've hardly been able to think about," shaking her head slightly, "anything but you." She laughed again, "Sergeant said that we tend to feelllll stronger the closer we get to Beltane. I'm sure tomorrow's demonstration will be... quite a show."

Leading him to a small group of trees with plenty of cover from any potential onlookers, she looked up at him. Her eyes flared with the thrill of being even remotely alone with him. "Can I kiss you?" It was clear she didn't want to do anything he might not want in such a setting but she was all too eager to have his lips on hers, even though that was all she planned to ask for. Other things would have to wait, of course, but she wanted something more than holding hands.

Being forward, in this case paid off. Her confidence seemed to be restored. More importantly, she confessed to having only really thought of him as well. It was a great relief. Oddly, the thought of her feeling stronger caused butterflies to beat their wings in his chest. It was a show that he very much looked forward to watching.

Their destination quickly became apparent, a small grove of trees that would allow them a modicum of privacy from prying eyes. He wondered if any of the other cadets of their officers had missed them. Technically there were no rules against wandering the grounds. Once beneath them she turned, looked up at him, and asked to kiss him. He beamed a genuine, happy smile and bent at the waist so that his face was closer to hers. "I would like nothing more." He wrapped his arms around her waist and pulled her close.

With his arms wrapped around her, she ran her hands slowly up them. One came to settle on his shoulder while the other was placed on the back of his neck to gently pull him toward her. She pressed her lips to his in a soft, sweet kiss. There was a deep desire she held back but her gentle sigh made her joy clear. She kept the kiss short to avoid getting to heated and thus being caught.

Grinning up at him, her cheeks flush and her eyes bright, she giggled. "Even more wonderful than I'd imagined." She had imagined kissing him a great many times and recent developments also had her mind wandering to other, more passionate activities with increased frequency. "I hope so very much that we find one another in the dance tomorrow. Continuing this would bring me the greatest pleasure."

She seemed to have no doubt in his skill to please her body and likely assumed he was experienced enough to do so with ease. It was her ability to please him that she was concerned about. Still, she knew the mechanics and anatomy of it and her teammates had assured her that the rest would happen naturally so she set the worry aside and simply held on to her hope that they'd be paired. She had no desire for anyone else though she knew it would be poor form to avoid spending time with anyone else.

It was so easy to lose himself in the kiss. He held her close even as their lips separated and he answered her. "I know that we supposedly don't have any say. That the dance will pair the most compatible, but... I will be searching for you. I would..." He turned bright crimson but he couldn't help himself. "...love to pleasure you."

It was at that moment when a bell tolled. The time for mingling had come to an end. It was meal time, a last chance to male and female cadets to bond before they would be separated for the night. It seemed a formality, but he still had to hope that she'd invite him to dine with her unit. Otherwise, he'd like have to eat with other men who hadn't received and invitation. Rather than wrapping his arm through hers, he instead wrapped it around her waist and placed a hand on her hip. It was very forward for a gentleman, even after their kiss, but he wanted to show his continued interest.

"Perhaps you could lead the way? I ummm... I'm not sure where the mess hall is."

Glad that he continued to hold her even after their lips parted, she smiled up at him. Her eyes on his, she let out an audible sigh at his assertion in regards to their night together. She didn't have words but the dinner bell saved her from needing to find them. Swallowing hard, she looked around to see if there were any witnesses to their short-lived tryst between the trees. Satisfied there was no one around, she kissed his cheek quickly before leading him back toward the main building.

She stayed close to him, part of her hoping that the body language between the two of them would keep other women at bay. Truthfully, she knew she'd have to see him at least mingling with the other women and she too would be expected to talk with other men, but for the moment, they had each other. "Would you care to join me for dinner? I'm sure Bellweather and Quartermaine have found suitable dinner companions and I'd hate to be alone at the table, assuming you weren't planning on dining with Jacob of course. You mentioned you hadn't had the chance to spend much time together since your training began."

"Yeah, training's been nice like that." He quickly quipped at her mention that he hadn't seen much of Jacob. In truth, he did not mind having to live in Jacob's shadow any longer or dealing with his unending self assurance. Jacob never seemed to question his first impression of everything, never doubted himself. It was trying to be around him for very long. Others saw this as a quality to be admired. Jonathan certainly didn't.

"I would be honored to dine with you, and your unit. I'm sure some of them have good stories about you, and I'd love to hear them." He gave a grin. "Though more importantly, I would not wish for you to eat alone at the table." He looked over at her as they entered the dining room. Bellweather was instantly recognizable, and it seemed that Quartermine had developed some sort of connection with Carter. Jonathan sighed. She'd get to hear some stories as well it seemed.

Although she chuckled at his comment about his brother, she said nothing to disparage him. Her opinions of Jacob were easily assumed given the history but she didn't feed into the gossip, or Swythe's ego, by letting other women know. Shaking her head as they entered the dining hall, she silently hoped they wouldn't embarrass her in front of Jonathan.

After quickly working their way through the line to fill their plates, she led the way to their table where a smug Lydia and flirtatious Cassandra were waiting with the young men they had decided to spend dinner with. She made the introductions as she took a vacant seat next to her unit leader, leaving her companion to sit next to Carter. "Lydia Bellweather, Cassandra Quartermaine, this is Jonathan Johnston." Speaking to Jonathan, "This is my unit leader and our fixer."

"Lovely to make your acquaintance," Lydia said with a smirk as she her eyes went back and forth between the two. Cassandra repeated the sentiment before returning to her attempts to beguile Carter. "Please, tell us about yourself. We've been looking forward to finally meeting you in person as your... reputation... precedes you." Esme blushed and gave Lydia a warning glance. There were plenty of tales about Bellweather the other women in their unit chose not to share.

"Perhaps you should introduce your companions before interrogating mine," Esme said before looking to the other gentlemen at the table.

Back
Top Bottom