Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

from the edge (1x1 w/DarkMudkip)

Jikkah

Cluster
Kaguya had always had to rely on others, she was mostly blind since birth, only able to see as far as she could reach, the rest buried in a sea of blur. Her poor vision was probably on account of her appearance- milk white skin and hair, eyes silver like the moon. Her ears were deformed, pointed like a rabbits- it gave her attention she didn’t want. She was told she was a blessed child, a gods Shikigami born into the body of a human girl. She was coddled and spoiled, kept away from the other children in the village and kept inside. Though she would’ve been called selfish for disliking being treated so well, she longed deeply for a normal childhood. She kept it to herself, hiding her discomfort as she was kept locked up in her home like a fragile doll.
Once she turned sixteen, she was told her master had returned from the heavens for her. She didn’t understand, she was no powerful creature in a humans body, she was simply a human. Regardless of how she felt, she complied with her parents wishes, the wishes of the villagers who had come to worship and revere her. So it was settled and she was sent off by cart to the man who was said to be her master. From what she was told on the journey there, the man was the leader of a religious group, touched by the gods. She was to stay at his side, serve him as he desired, lead those in the congregation to the best she could. This was her destined path in life, and so many found such joy in it, so why did she feel as though she were being sent to her death.
It was a few days ride before they would arrive, and upon being led inside, she was given a chance to bathe and eat before meeting with the religious leader. She would talk with numerous people who all smiled and thanked her before she was finally led to her lord. She was carefully led into a large blurry room, where she knelt before a blurry figure before her, bowing politely to him. Her long white hair had been carefully brushed out, wearing new clean clothes- a white and blue kimono -that had been given to her by the congregation. “Thank you for welcoming me into your home, Lord Douma, it is truly a great pleasure to be here, given the opportunity to serve you at your side.”

"Ara~ you're rather pretty, hm?" He said gently, "I was told you were beautiful, but I was not expecting to be taken so aback by you~"

Kaguya kept herself seated where she was, head lowered, hands placed lightly on the floor in front of her- pine wood floors that had been well kept, it was about all she could make out in the room. “Your praise is most generous, my lord, I am most grateful.” Truth be told, the words were as mundane as it got, words she had heard as far back as she could remember. She had always been fussed over and praised for her beauty, but she looked like every other girl in her village, she was only different because of the odd coloration that adorned her.

She felt her face flush slightly in embarrassment, as though she had been caught in a lie. Kaguya bowed her head even lower to him. “Please forgive me, I did not mean for my tone to offend, truly.” It was usually easy for her to appease the adults around her, keeping up an act of a godly person-whatever that was -usually made them the most happy. She seemed to do mostly a good job of hiding how she really felt, but perhaps city folk were different? Would he be able to see through her? Would he be able to tell that she was not in fact of the gods as so many had proclaimed? Her heart raced at that thought, and though she never once thought of herself as anything but human, the thought of her being exposed as one scared her.

That put her at ease some, and she took a small breath to collect herself. Sitting up, she looked at Douma, even if she couldn’t see him. “I was told I would come here to serve you- aide you in anything you may need. Please allow my humble self to stay at your side; though my eye sight is not strong, I can still read and write.”

"That's a shame," he said, "while your lack of sight is disheartening, I believe I will have some uses for you." She could hear his smile in his voice, at keast he wasn't upset.

Another weight off her shoulders, at least those in the village would be happy she had been accepted, her parents would be proud. Her heart ached at the thought, but perhaps she could find it better in the city- perhaps she would find her happiness.

Kaguya nodded her head, standing and moving closer to him, the closer she got the more she could see him. She was surprised to see that what she had thought had been a light colored head covering, was actually his hair. She sat carefully beside him where he had motioned her to, making sure she was polite and kept her eyes averted from him. It was intimidating to be so close to someone revered as holy, even if she didn’t fully believe in such a thing, but even more startling was that he smelled heavily of blood. She made no outward indication that she had noticed the smell, but it was hard not to notice it now that she was this close. Was he ill?

“Forgive me, I didn’t know that’s what you wanted.” She felt a bit embarrassed by it now that he pointed it out, but still turned to look at him. Once again, she was surprised by his appearance, having a strange one just like herself. His eyes were like rainbows, and his hair a platinum color. “Is this better?”

“I’m sure there are plenty of beautiful women here.” She pointed out, feeling the tips of her ears burn red. Though Douma was handsome, she was not supposed to have such thoughts, especially not about Douma. He was her master, she was to serve him, nothing more.

Her face actually flushed lightly, averting her gaze out of embarrassment.
From then on Kaguya would attend to Douma day and night, handling things from serving him tea, to helping with legal paperwork. She was busy constantly, always working to help in whatever ways that was asked of her; the people of the Eternal Paradise religion were similar to the people back in her small village, they all loved and revered Douma, people from all over flocking to even glimpse at him. Douma worked endlessly as well, some days sitting and listening to as many as a hundred or more people, his smile never faltered and he was always kind to each and every person he spoke with, but it all seemed off. Though he played the role well, it felt as though she were looking at herself in a mirror- did Douma also not believe he was of the gods? She kept her mouth shut, said nothing and indicated even less; she was born to serve, she was born to be a guiding light for gods, a shikigami in a humans body. This was the job fate had given her.

Day in and day out, Douma held sermons and granted blessings to people, always holding that sickly sweet kindness for everyone. He was never once annoyed or bothered by anyone who came to him, didn't mind the sobbing or the praise. He sighed tiredly at the end of the day, fanning himself gently.
"What a day." He mused.

Kaguya once again sat at his side, tired from hearing so many different people talk. “Is there anything I can get for you, Lord Douma?” She asked softly, glad to have a small moment of quiet.

She nodded, resting her hands in her lap. “Of course- shall I have the men prepare you a bath or dinner?” She asked, even though it had gotten quite late in the night, the both of them had worked right through evening meal.

He hummed softly before moving to stand, "Just tell them to bring my meal to my room. They'll know what to do from there. Why don't you get something to eat and go rest? You've had a long day of writing, after all~"

Kaguya nodded, fingers sore from writing so much. “As you wish, I’ll notify them immediately.” She bowed her head before standing and leaving Douma. She went to the kitchens and told them to prepare Douma’s meal immediately, getting food for herself before retiring to her room. She sat in her room in silence, feeling an empty feeling in her chest. She felt hollow again, felt an overwhelming sense of guilt and shame. She was not who she was perceived to be, and though accepting the title she had been given by those around her, she still felt as though she were lying to everyone.

Did Douma feel like this? He seemed disinterested despite his kindness when he was addressing his followers. Maybe he knew what it was like, too, to be put in a spot you didn't really want, or felt you drserved.

As she readied herself for bed, she contemplated speaking with Douma about her feelings. She felt unqualified to help him, and a fraud. She didn’t believe she was more than human, but saying she did made so many people happy, brought them peace. She wrung her hands, feeling her anxiety growing- perhaps if she sought out the same advice of the people she listened to everyday, feigned a need for religious advice from Douma he too would help her. She made up her mind, leaving her room and traveling carefully down the darkened hallways, most of the building now completely silent. A few workers remained to tend to Douma’s needs, but the rest of the congregation had retired to the dorms for the night.

Back
Top Bottom