Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Superheroine Peril / Mutants and Masterminds

experimenter73

Super-Earth
Basic Concept:

The players would be between 2-4 female college students in a world where superheroes and supervillains are real. They become the newest targets of a strange villain who is infecting people with a serum that gives them strange superpowers. The news coverage of these infecrted people has shown them going crazy and attacking innocent people around them. For some reason, it is different with these heroines.

Despite this, they find themselves hunted by both the government, who fears them, and the villain, who wants to study them.

Themes and Important Elements:

Bondage, Peril, Torture, Torment, Death traps, and wicked predicaments will be the name of this particular game. Their likely failures when faced with the odds stacked against them will see them suffer at the hands of vile people who will delight at their tears and ignore their pleas.

Mutants and Masterminds, 3rd Edition:

Previous knowledge of the game is unimportant. You don't need to own any of the materials. This will not be a game that rewards power-gaming and point maximization. The game itself plays very smoothly and allows for fun super-heroic action. The only challenging part to the learning curve, really, is character creation.

If you've never made a M&M character, then you can just let me know the sort of character you'd like to make and I can do the creation for you and then go over what it all means.

The Heroines:

Your character will be created in two steps. First, you'll need to decide who you were as a regular student on campus. What were you studying? What are your hobbies? How do you dress? What makes you who you are? After all of the characters are created, you can decide if any of you know each other and whether you're friends.

Then, we will create your character's heroic profile. For this, you basically just need to describe what sort of powers you want your character to have. For game purposes, they will be Power Level 7, which is the typical power level of side-kick-type characters. The initial powers should be a little erratic and challenging, but there will be room for these heroines to grow into their potential!

Logistics:

Right now, I am thinking this will be run in a play-by-post system. I am thinking we'll set up two or three days per week to work as deadlines for everyone to post what they will do. That will give us time to contact eachother with questions or coordination between those times. It will make for a slower paced story, but if we each put in a good amount of story with each post, I think it will move forward at a reasonable pace.

But, I'm open to other ideas on that front as well! If we all decide to play live once a week on Discord or something, that could work, too.

Interested?

If you're interested, drop a comment here to let me know your thoughts on how it would run... and, more importantly, let me know about the chracter you would like to play... both as a regular college student and a heroine to be.

@The Harbinger
Are there any "Standard" power sets/combos you envision that you'd like help making?
Scorpion Tail with poison barb

Armored enhanced strength. I don't want to be the brick of the group, but a good midrange with a few points to spare for options like claws or poison...

Physical enhancements like Str and Endurance

Bugg, flight, enhanced senses, enhanced endurance.

I kinda need to know how the variable power works, I understand it has a pool of points and those translate into powers and power levels of the power. But to enhance strength from lifting a hundred and fifty pounds to lifting a ton, how does that translate into points.

i am very much an options player. I like versatility over raw power.

I wish I wasn't the type who had tons and tons of character ideas floating around in my head at all times. I have so many that could be fun for this game >.>
I know what you mean, I have an electricity manipulator that can make constructs from them and has three that she uses consistently as pets or friends.

I have a multiple self girl concept, she is literally her own gangbang, with a bit more to be sure.

I have an absorber idea,

a light manipulator who can make light constructs like Erza from FairyTale, armor, weapons..

Too many to count, but Becca is one I have been craving for a while, so she was a no brainer this time. I got lucky.

If I end up stepping on toes, or if Becca doesn't work out, I have a dozen other ideas to work with, all good.

@The Harbinger
I kinda need to know how the variable power works, I understand it has a pool of points and those translate into powers and power levels of the power. But to enhance strength from lifting a hundred and fifty pounds to lifting a ton, how does that translate into points.

Really you just look at the rulebook and pick what powers you want, as long as you can justify them coming from an animal.

There's a chart in the Blue section at the front of the book that gives you ranks, and the different powers will tell you how much a rank gives you if needed

For example: "Scorpion Tail with poison barb"

That'd likely be Affliction. Then you would need to decide what scorpion venom does. Like Dazed - Stunned - Unconscious, or Hindered - Immobile - Paralyzed.

Slap on the Progressive Extra, and you have a power that costs 3pp/rank, so could either have it at 6 ranks, or add in a flaw to be able to get the full 7.

@The Harbinger

i am very much an options player. I like versatility over raw power.
Variable is rough in a point buy system for a new player.

You have a pool of points and whenever you put out a new effect, you price it out like you’re back in chargen.

The nice thing is if you have things you expect to do commonly, you can price them ahead of time.

To your specific question, the Measurements table is the Bible for that sort of thing. Strength 1 is 100lbs. Strength 2 is 200. 3-800, 4-1600, 5-3200, etc.

Bumping your Strength will cost (Barring Shenanigans) 2pts per level. Just boost your strength to the point you can lift what you want to lift.

Rules question: If I apply the "Reaction" or "Triggered" extra to a close-ranged effect, and the trigger is being touched, does the effect still require an attack roll?

Based on Energy Aura (ENERGY AURA – d20HeroSRD), reaction doesn’t require an attack rule if someone touches you, however, if you wanted to trigger it by touching someone, it’d likely require an attack roll in combat.

Great! Here's another question:

I'm thinking of going crazy into Protection, pushing my Toughness up to 14 (with 0 in Parry or Dodge), but I'd apply the Fades modifier to the Protection power, meaning it decreases by one every rounds. This would make my hero extremely powerful at the start of the combat, but became helpless in 14 rounds, essentially putting a timer on her combat effectiveness before she's captured.

@experimenter73 , would you be okay with this?

I'm thinking of going crazy into Protection, pushing my Toughness up to 14 (with 0 in Parry or Dodge), but I'd apply the Fades modifier to the Protection power, meaning it decreases by one every rounds. This would make my hero extremely powerful at the start of the combat, but became helpless in 14 rounds, essentially putting a timer on her combat effectiveness before she's captured.

That actually sounds like a really fun idea for this campaign. What a fun and clever idea!

You could also apply the activated modifier, because that would seem fitting. She can turn on a super tough shield but it fades.

As a DM, I wouldn’t allow it. Mainly because a 14+ round combat sounds like an awful slog. I wouldn’t want to regularly run super long battles make that limitation have much merit.

As a DM, I wouldn’t allow it. Mainly because a 14+ round combat sounds like an awful slog. I wouldn’t want to regularly run super long battles make that limitation have much merit.
I definitely appreciate this sentiment. I will say, however, that the nature of this campaign in particular makes it so that a temporarily near-invincible heroine could add more than a little fun to an encounter.

There’s more than one way to end a fight!

Back
Top Bottom