Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Sightless [Sigr / Raina_Reader]

Raina Reader

Dovely Lemoness
The rumour was, the daughter of one of the wealthiest houses in the region had fallen ill, and depending on who told the tale, the illness varied. One man stated the girl had become a cripple. Her legs supposedly frail and brittle, and now servants carried her from room to room within her lavish estate. Another man said it was true the girl had fallen sick, but she could walk just fine. It was apparently her skin which was now decaying and falling off as if she were some morbid decaying living corpse. For each individual who had heard the story, the details were slightly different, but one element of the rumour always stayed the same; The heads of the house were seeking a caretaker for their daughter.

Do I have experience in catering to the needs of the sick? Well, In my life time, I have seen to the needs of many. Several men, and a few women have sought my aid and I offered my services to the best of my ability. Whether it was seeing to their injuries or other physical ailments, I was always there for them, even in an emotional capacity.

A young woman sat alone within the cabin of a rather luxurious carriage. Long golden tresses danced amidst the gentle breeze coming from the small square window of the carriage door. The words she spoke to the Lord and Lady echoed in her mind over and over again as regret and guilt bubbled within the pit of her stomach. They weren't lies, not really. Infact what was said was true to every word, the only deception was context. These nobles had seen before them a young woman who supposedly cared for many wealthy individuals, what she actually meant was that she had bedded them and satisfied their physical desires, for she was a whore. Her profession however was more than just a roll around between the sheets. People of all kinds sought her out, not just for sex, but for emotional needs as well, some just wanted to be touched, or for an old injury or deformity to be nursed. In truth, the idea of taking care of a sickly girl seemed simple by comparison.

The carriage came to a sharp stop, causing the blonde haired girl to lurch forward, smacking her head on the opposite wall just as the driver opened to door to let her out.

"We have arrived Lady Rosewind, someone will be with you shortly to accompany you inside." The driver drolled boredly as he quriked a brow curiously, inspecting the woman who was now rubbing her forehead furiously.

"Ah--yes thank you!" She said sheepishly, ducking her head low to step out of the carriage, tripping on the hem of her dress, nearly tumbling into the dirt if it wasn't for the driver who caught her with one arm as if he was expecting it to happen.

"Please, do be careful Lady Rosewind."

"Yes--ofcourse, quite right." She stammered, attempting to speak with an air of importance reminiscent of other high borne girls while hiding a giddy smile that spread upon her face every time she was addressed as Lady.

Lady Evelyn Rosewind. The name she gave when she met the Lord and Lady within the city for the role of caretaker. This was a lie, or atleast most of it was. She wasn't born of any great house that she knew of, nor did she have a family name at all. She had been Eve the Urchin during her youth, and later; Eve the Whore. Rosewind was a name she dreamt up for it sounded graceful and pretty, something one would expect from a fancy noble family. The only other big lie she told aside from her name was where she was from. Cerris Province, which bordered this one. Close enough that her accent wouldn't seem suspicious, yet far enough away to prevent anyone from uncovering her lies too quickly. If she had said she was from the city, it would have taken them no time at all to discover she was a whore with their available resources. She had never expected her lies to work. She made the attempt, wearing a fancy dress on loan from the brothel, spinning her tale to satisfy some fantasy of living in some wealthy house while not expecting anything to come of it. To her surprise, the Lord and Lady were too distracted and stricken with grief to even pick apart her weak story. Before she knew it she was on a carriage to their estate to not only meet their daughter but to live there with her and take care of her.

"Ah, you must be Lady Evelyn Rosewind." A woman slowly approached the carriage from the manor, dressed in a plain black gown. She was an old woman, with long gray hair and many lines along her face showing her age. "A courier arrived in the night informing us of your arrival and your place here with us, come, I'll bring you to our Lady, she is currently resting in her chambers."

Evelyn suspected the older woman was a servant, possibly serving the house her entire life. It was a strange thing to be out of the city and to witness this other life, like out of a dream. Compared to the older woman, Evelyn was dressed rather extravagantly. Adorned in a long sleeve gown of red and brown, simple in its design and materials. The collar wound her neck was lined with light wolves fur, covering any bare skin that may had been exposed. It was the best travelling clothes she could find in short notice that didn't make her look like a whore.

"Right this way my lady" The woman muttered as she guided her up the granite steps leading into the towering manor. Evelyn's stomach leapt and twirled with both excitement and dread as she was overwhelmed by the sheer wealth of her surroundings everywhere from the foyer to the upper floors. Doubt too crept into the back of her mind. What if she wasn't fit to take care of this girl? What if she was too sick, or this life too complicated to bear? Before she could confront the panic bubbling to the surface, the older woman knocked twice on two large wooden doors that towered before them. "My Lady, Lady Rosewind is here. Your new caretaker to look in on you while Your Lord Father and Lady Mother are away." She called in as if expecting the girl to be awake and simply turned around starting back down the hall again. "I'll leave you two to get acquainted."

Steeling herself for what she may find within, Evelyn clenched her jaw and pushed the doors open, stepping inside the rather large and open bedroom chambers to greet the girl whose fate had become entwined with hers.

Gently nested on top of a small hill, Ravenwood manor wasn't the looming presence of ages past, the dreary settlement that Baron Ravenwood established almost a couple of centuries ago. The woods that gave name to the family once the King had granted them the title were still there and for a newcomer the constant presence of ravens could seem as a bad omen, but there wasn't such notion on the barony, not anymore. Even the stone wall that once proudly marked the manor grounds and allowed its defense in case of peasant uprise now was a crumbled legacy overgrown with ivy and an occasional red poppy. Even if the state of disrepair of the wall was an intentional decision by the part of the former Ravenwood lord, father of the current one, the rest of the place sure didn't look the same, as it had a veritable army of servants taking care of the vast extension of both building and the grounds themselves. It was true that even if there still were flower beds here and there, most of the gardens surrounding the house offered the odd sight of nurturing various vegetables.

It was those kinds of strange practices the ones that garnered the family the favor of the people they once lacked, abandoning their legacy of a land ruled by fear. The former Lord Ravenwood was quite the character, and the current one didn't fall too far from the tree. To say they were loved was perhaps to say too much, as it's maybe impossible for the ruled to love the ruler, but they were respected and they sure loved their people. Ravenwood was after all a barony quite far from the kingdom's capital, always deemed a brutish and provincial place, the ruling family judged as far away from the refinement required to be real aristocracy, always named countryside nobles and upstarts. If the other nobles were to be right about the rumors on the Ravenwood family, it was better to be close to their people and respected by them, and not to rule them with utter terror. All things considered, even the current Ravenwood lord was married to a merchant's daughter, a choice born from love more than the difficulty about finding a suitable bride. It may be detached, and it may be on the countryside, but Ravenwood was still a barony, a title to not be scoffed at.

It was precisely its people, once conquered, then feared and now gently ruled the ones that made the King have any consideration about Baron Ravenwood. Of course, it varied from King to King and from Baron to Baron, as the relationships haven't always been nice, but the women of Ravenwood were accustomed to hard labor and the men were accustomed to brave difficulties. In times of war, having Ravenwood by your side was an asset precious enough for noblemen to conveniently forget their usual attitude towards that particular stretch of land and its rulers. It was precisely that kind of conversations, of dealings and treaties the ones that took the Lord and Lady of Ravenwood away from their lands, away from their only daughter. In her hardest moment, the parents had been summoned away, and even with pain in the heart, that was the kind of call a Baron couldn't ignore.

Long gone were the days of protests, of negotiations to travel with them. Days of screams, pleads and burning tears. She was no fit for such a long trip, and even if she was recovered of the illness that assaulted her, she still felt weak. Recovered to a point, of course. There was no more coughing, no more fever, and now she could even take slow, short walks if she wanted. But she didn't. Angry and sad, dejected and abandoned, Alexandra felt miserable. With her windows wide open she could feel the sun warming her face, she could smell the tomatoes on the garden below her, but she couldn't see their red meat shine on that wonderful day, nor she would ever again.

Hearing Martha mumble something outside her bedroom, Alexandra turned around to look what was going on, a habit that still didn't disappear. She caught just enough of her sentence to hear about the caretaker. Yes, the gentle old maid had informed her earlier of the visit of such a woman today. Alexandra didn't want a stranger in her life, not in general terms and even less when she was at her weakest, but her parents insisted in having someone to tend her, someone that could offer a more specialized service than the ones the manor servants could even figure out. The service was full of good, loyal people, but as many in Ravenwood they were a simple kind with simple needs and simple skills. Alexandra would love to be one of them, but some things couldn't be, now less than ever.

"Ah-" the sound of the doors startled her. Alexandra was now aware that the person would be seeing her, an unknown woman, and the thought made her feel vulnerable, naked. Properly dressed she wasn't, and one could even doubt the merit of her presentability even for a countryside noble. Alexandra had been insisting to keep doing certain things on her own, even if it was a ridiculous and childish claim, so that explained her current looks. Her blonde hair was on disarray, with parts of it brushed down and other parts showing signs of bed hair, as she had desisted from braiding it herself. The outfit of choice was an ivory nightgown, the very one she had been sleeping with, as pretending to dress herself in the layers her station required was mind numbing. The fabric did cover her body way below the knees, although her figure still was a bit of a cutout against the sunny window. Alexandra wasn't a tall beauty, being a bit short for her age, and even if she didn't tan easily, the sickness had left her a little bit more pale than usual. Her body wasn't specially curvy, but she was soft and plushy in all the right places, even if it wasn't up to a scale nobody would consider womanly or nurturing, spectacular or enticing.

"I'm- I'm Lady Alexandra Ravenwood" she muttered, trying to keep composure and proper forms. Why didn't the woman say a thing? Why didn't she introduce herself? Her blue eyes looked glassy, unfocused and unable, further contributing to make her look like a lost porcelain doll. In a clumsy and ill thought of approaching the newcomer, Alexandra stumbled upon her own bed, embarrassingly falling face first on it.

Strangely, during the brief meeting with the Baron and Baroness Ravenwood, very little was actually said about the ailment their daughter suffered from. They spoke of her needs, her admirable yet stubborn desire to be independent as possible, but never specifically of the condition at hand. It could have been an oversight on their part, or an assumption that Evelyn, who seemed proper and professional in the moment, knew what she was getting into. It was clear from their small interaction that the Ravenwoods loved their daughter. The way they spoke about her, their manic concern and the dread they expressed about being away for a considerable time was everpresent in their voice and expressions. Why they settled on Evelyn, not even she knew the answer, perhaps in their haste, she seemed like a good fit based on impressions, or they were far too stressed and distracted to realize they had been deceived.

Evelyn didn't know what to expect when she pushed open those doors, but when she laid eyes on a slightly disheveled girl scrambling in her bed at the sudden arrival of a stranger, she was taken back by how normal she looked. There was no deformity to be seen, her limbs appeared to be in functioning order and her skin certainly was not falling off. It was a little pale to be sure, but that was to be expected of a supposed sickly girl kept indoors at all times. Eve stood there, frozen upon the threshold of the girls chambers realizing just how out of her own element she was.

Becoming increasingly aware she was expected to curstie or return a respectful greeting, she performed a mildly panicked bow which sounded to Alexandra to be nothing more than frantic shuffling and the ruffling of a common dress.. After another stint of silence, it was then that Evelyn took notice of the glassy eyed expression upon the girls face. Goddesses tears, she's blind? She silently exclaimed to herself before speaking up nervously. "A--aah! Lady Alexandra, charmed. I mean--It's a pleasure--er an honor to meet you." She froze again for another span of silence before gasping and sputtering out "my name is Eve--I mean, Rosewind. Er-- Evelyn Rosewind, my lady."

How did she manage to be so charming with the Baron and Baroness and yet fumble with her words so dismally here, when it was now more important than ever to keep up appearances? Get a grip Eve, relax. She's blind, so it doesn't matter how presentable or noble you look, if you continue to sound like an bafoon she will think you are one.

As Alexandra faceplanted upon the bed, Evelyn uttered another gasp of surprise before starting towards her, but stopped herself before reaching the bed. She needed to be mindful of boundaries until she got to know this girl better. Boundaries she could do. Establishing trust with another person was actually something she was good at, and had a lot of experience in due to her past profession. "Are you alright My lady?" She bit her bottom lip, hands clasped and folded together infront of her as she fidgeted nervously. "I apologize for the sudden intrusion of my arrival. Your parents insisted I greet you when I arrive. We'll be spending a lot of time together from now on, as I'll be here for all of your daily needs. If there's anything I can do for you at this present moment, fetch you anything, or help you get dressed, please, just say the word."

Nudity and indecency was yet something else that didn't bother Evelyn, which gave her an advantage in this situation that she didn't account for. She had seen it all in her past experiences and had plenty of experience undressing or redressing others along with assisting them in all manner of activities. The increased benefit of this position was that there was no sex at all or degradation of her personal worth, which would be easier and far more straight forward from her perspective. Living in a fancy manor was a nice perk as well. None of it would matter however if she didn't establish a trust with this Alexandra.

"I'm fine! I'm fine..." Alexandra quickly answered the first time, almost a yell, behaving more correctly the second time. "It seems that I'm still weaker than expected, Lady Rosewind" she said, almost adding an apology for the awkward moment. How bad had she look like for that Lady Rosewind to struggle with her own introduction? Was she ghostly pale? Was it her lack of clothing? It had to be the hair, right? She definitely mismanaged her hair. Lady Rosewind's offer for help did sound better, balanced, so perhaps it was just the surprise. Evelyn certainly sounded like a grown woman, an experienced person sure of herself, something that made her wonder how old was she. She would be unmarried yet, or how could she afford to disregard a husband and perhaps children to take care of her, but for that he had to be really young and she didn't sound like it. Maybe a widower?

Alexandra noticed that she just was sitting on her bed in introspective silence, not answering Evelyn's question about how could she help, something that made her feel odd about it. "I should be presentable... sorry..." she lamented, but lacked the will to dress herself or the courage to ask Martha or someone else from the service to help her with that. Alexandra slowly crawled on her oversized bed like a shipwrecked sailor on a raft, as there were live waters and sharks beyond the edge of safety. She couldn't even get off her bed without making a show of it, how pathetic of her. Alexandra looked down, mortified.

But Evelyn was there to help, right? To serve. She may be a lady but she wasn't the daughter of a Baron. She did offer herself to do it after all, she just had to say the word. Alexandra had been trapped too long, confined by the four corners of that bed that felt like a precipice to her, an insurmountable cliff or the bottom of a well as far as she was concerned. "I..." she said, giving up on getting down from the bed and just waiting there, gathering the courage needed for her petition, something that seemed to come easily than expected. Perhaps it was easier to show her weakness to someone unknown than to a lifelong servant like Martha.

"I'll need a bath" Alexandra said, implying a request. She may not be able to see her disheveled state, but she could certainly smell her own body, a mixture of the oils and ointments used to keep the sickness away combined with the tang of her dried down feverish sweat. "Then you'll dress me" Alexandra added, rising a hand momentarily to point in the general direction of her wardrobe, guessing it's position judging by her facing to the door where Evelyn should be. "That way we can get properly introduced with a cup of tea and forget..." Alexandra sounded mostly firm, but there was a trace of a plea under her thin voice. "... this first impression" she finished, sighing.

The air its self seemed tense during the small moments of silence as both struggled during the introduction. Evelyn was having doubts over her place within these halls and the trust put in her and whether her lies could hold over a long period of time. As Alexandra edged around the bed, Evelyn was unsure if she should intervene in some way. Had the girls blindness been recent? Should she ask? She supposed it had to be considering Alexandra was having a difficult time with it. "This is your home My lady, you have no obligation to be presentable for me. I am here for you."

She gave a quick nod, but quickly spoke up as she remembered such gestures went unnoticed by the girl "Yes, right away, I'll help you to your bathing room. Is...there a well where you fetch and boil the water, does one of your other servants do that, or did you need me to do that as well? I apologize my lady, it will take me some time to adapt to life here and to get used to where everything is." At the brothel, the women needed to fetch water from one of the public wells within the city. She imagined it was similar here, but then again this was the first taste she ever had of highborne life. "Maybe you'll atleast be able to point us in the right direction?"

Slowly extending her hand, she allowed her fingertips to brush the back of Alexandra's hand to alert her that she was there and ready to help her out of the bed and act as a leaning post if it was required. "Ofcourse my lady, do you have a favorite outfit or dress within your wardrobe?"

Evelyn attempted to sound cheerful and eager, but there was something melancholy about the girl, which she couldn't blame her, being as youthful as she was and yet so sick. All of this wealth yet no ability to truely enjoy any of it. The plea in the girls voice as she asked not to speak of this moment unnerved her slightly. Evelyn was worried that her own introduction was unbefitting of a woman of her supposed class and status, perhaps she had made a fool of her self, and this girl was a tough judge, or maybe Alexandra was simply embarrassed of her sickly nature. She was too difficult to read.

"Tea and introductions do sound pleasant my lady, but let's focus on getting you washed up shall we. perhaps some fresh clothes after a hot bath and some warm tea afterwards will perk you right up." She patted her shoulder gently both as a gesture of comfort and a second indication that she was ready to help her up. "Lead the way Lady Alexandra--er, I mean tell me where to go and I shall take you there."

"Obligation? No, but..." Alexandra tilted her head down. She knew that she didn't have to be presentable. In fact, without her parents there, there was little she could consider an obligation, and yet she was raised to enforce. Was Evelyn so aware of their provincial status that was ready to let those things pass unnoticed? The idea of behaving like a barely dressed savage in front of a proper lady made Alexandra nervous. "Ah, but of course..." she had expected for Evelyn to be already aware of the workings at the manor, but it seemed that her arrival had been mostly hasted, as Alexandra's parents were on a hurry facing quite the long trip. "We can call for Martha or some other servant that should be close with a bell..." she mentioned. There was indeed a small hand bell on her nightstand, but was well away of her current reach, not to mention how disoriented she felt.

"They will take care of anything, fetch the water, heat it..." she muttered. It was odd to explain things to a stranger when one was born inside a system were most things were taken care of by almost invisible service people. She had first to think about how things that were never a worry in her head worked, then explain them to Evelyn. Alexandra couldn't help but wonder what kind of life Lady Rosewind lived, what kind of things she was accustomed to.

"Oh" Alexandra muttered a bit surprised, feeling the soft touch on her hand. She possessively, almost a bit desperate took hold of it, a known spot in the darkness that was her world. "There is a blue dress I love... the one with embroidered white lilies..." she described. It was far from being her most formal of garments, as it was more similar to the dress of a wealthy girl than the one of an aristocrat, but it lacked the layered complexity of the most stuffy outfits she had and lacking both any kind of hoop underskirt and a corset, it would allow for her to be at ease. "But you'll have to tell me if it's enough, as I'm at a disadvantage and unaware of what are you wearing" she slid in, curious.

Alexandra helped herself with Evelyn to get down from her bed, her bare feet finally stepping on the floor. Her legs were still a bit shaky, so Alexandra promptly used her other hand as well to hold into Evelyn's arm. Smaller than Lady Rosewind, Alexandra didn't seem to weight much. She did still had a bit of a belly, fruit of being in that awkward age when the body of a girl wasn't yet quite the one of a woman, and also pointed to a more than healthy diet, as there seemed to be no lack of food there. Providing that her sickness didn't stunt her growth, she could become a beautiful woman, but for now she still was more cute than gorgeous, still a porcelain doll that could break anytime.

"My bathing room is just next by, no need to get back into the corridor, that's for the service" Alexandra commented, a bit at odds to what position Evelyn occupied. She was to service her, something that she knew wasn't that uncommon in more important noble houses, but she was still a lady of her own, so it was bound to be a distinction. "We can go through the door close to the wardrobe" she gestured vaguely, as there was indeed a simple wooden door that kind of melded with the decor next to a more lavish one that had to lead to the walk in wardrobe. "Would you be so nice to fetch the bell and ring it for me?" Alexandra asked. "You'll have to get accustomed to address the service in my stead" added, as she didn't reluctantly agree to her parents to have some assistance to have even more work.

Her lips spread into an unseen smile as the girl gripped her hand tight. The deep well of fear within her stomach slowly dissipated as all of her fears of being rejected or discovered to be a fraud were washed away by Alexandra's innocence. She has no reason not to distrust me, she trusts her parents' judgment and she is clearly helpless. the poor thing. Offering a gentle squeeze of reassurance, she turned to reach for the bell with her free hand before lifting and swinging it several times to call someone to the room.

Martha's return to the room had been prompt, pushing open the door to find Evelyn steadying Alexandra upon her feet. "Er--could you be a dear and prepare a hot bath for Lady Alexandra? She needs to wash for the day. oh! and if you can put on a kettle for some tea when we finish?" Martha quirked a brow scowling slightly, which she quickly corrected into a more neutral expression before nodding curtly. "As you wish Lady Rosewind." As she left the room, Evelyn exhaled a soft sigh. "I don't think she likes me." Eve wasn't accustomed to asking people to do things for her and it showed. She only hoped that the girl overlooked this fact.

One the girl was steady enough on her feet, Eve attempted to let go of her head. "Let go dear, I'm going to put my arm around you for better balance alright?" She spoke in a calm, soothing manner, silently hoping this girl continued to trust her. Once her hand was free, she slowly slipped her arm behind her back, holding her waist gently, pulling her close. "feel free to lean into me if you feel weak in the legs, follow my steps alright? don't be afraid to hold on tight, I'm here for you." Aside from the blindness, it was clear the girl was frail and hadn't used her legs much since she lost her sight. Evelyn was taller than the girl by a few inches and very thin. Not all of the people she serviced in the past appreciated her body type, wishing there was more to hold on to in their words, but she was used to being manhandled by men twice her size, so a girl smaller than her wasn't much of a concern.

"The dress sounds lovely. I wouldn't worry too much about what I'm wearing, no doubt it pales in comparison to anything you have." She smiled down at her, forgetting once more that the girl could not see. She made a mental note to add more expression in her voice, wishing to do her best to make a good impression. This may have started as a long shot fantasy to live in some lavish manor, but upon meeting the girl, she felt sorry for her. She seemed, sweet and lonely, completely undeserving of this fate, even if she did have the luck to be born to the wealthiest family in the region.

"Hold on to me, let's walk over to your wardrobe." Slowly she guided her across the room, until they reached the wooden closet, pulling open the door gingerly to peek inside, eyes widening at how sizable the inside was. "My you do have quite the selection." Gently guiding the girl with her, she scoured the hanging garments, dresses and scarves before locating the blue dress with white lillies, grasping it tight and draping it over her free arm. "Alright, let's head over to the bathing room and get you out of that gown." One step after the next, Evelyn ever so carefully guided the girl into the next room through her private passage, but once they arrived it was clear not enough time had passed for the bath to be prepared. "They're probably still boiling the water, we'll wait before we disrobe you, there's a chill in the air. how are you feeling dear?" She was worried the small journey had tired the poor girl out.

Alexandra was still shaky on her feet, but feigned as much health and steadiness as she could when Evelyn called for the service and Martha appeared. Judging by how little took for the woman to appear, Alexandra could swear that she had just been waiting outside and delayed her arrival just a bit to disguise it. Anyways, Evelyn did well with her, even if it seemed that the first impression had gone a bit sideways. "She probably doesn't, at least for now" Alexandra said, a small smile painting her face for a fleeting moment. "She's loyal to a fault, so she doesn't take strangers well enough, specially if it's a helping hand she didn't pick herself" she explained, guessing Martha's motives to dislike Evelyn as she said. As the most experienced servant of the Ravenwood manor, Martha was in charge of selecting and training new service if needed, so that made someone like Evelyn that hadn't been supervised by her an unknown factor.

"She will have to get accustomed" Alexandra said, sighing. "We all do" added, somber.

Holding to Lady Rosewind for support while she enveloped her with an arm, Alexandra noticed that Evelyn was far from being the usual stocky and rotund lady she was accustomed to. A life of nobility, a good life of lacking nothing and far from the fields normally made noblewomen opulent in body and not only in riches. Even provincial ones that were more active like her own mother were plump, a trait that Alexandra herself didn't quite share yet, her body going through changes and sickness at the same time. Maybe Evelyn had also gone through illness in her youth or was just one of those women that didn't seem to pick up weight no matter what, an active occupation not even crossing Alexandra's mind. She appreciated her gentle tone, reassuring that no matter what she wore it would be fine, making the girl wonder even more about how Evelyn looked like.

"Oh thanks" Alexandra nodded, happy that Evelyn admired her wardrobe. She was sure it paled in comparison to what noblewomen closer to the king had, but she had no way to be sure before and even less now. "You will be able to find chemises and underskirts in lower drawers" she instructed about the location of her undergarments, a somewhat shameful moment. It was true that Alexandra got help from the service if she was to wear a particularly complicated dress, and she had been in the presence of servants when she bathed, but Evelyn was a stranger and a proper lady, something that worried her a little bit.

"A bit better, perhaps a walk, even if it was a small one, was what I needed" she answered, tapping on the floor with her bare feet. "I'm sure that hot water and a bit of sun and fresh air will help too, lets have the later tea outside if you will" Alexandra commented on. She hadn't been outside since the blindness, weak and scared of the outside world, confined in the jail that her bed was. Her voice may waver as she talked, betraying any fears she may had, but she wanted to appear strong, to show Evelyn that she wasn't going to be much work, much of a nuisance.

The bathing room itself was one more odd contrast of the life in a provincial barony. Many important nobles that had their residence within important cities didn't have as much space for their villas as the ones living in the country, having their baths close to the source of fire like small rooms next to the kitchen. Here in contrast, where grounds weren't much of an issue, a whole room was dedicated to the ruling presence of a bronze bathtub, big enough to wash a cow on it if you were that mad. A small table was next to an empty wooden mannequin to leave clothes, white linens piling on it, awaiting their purpose of being used to dry the body after the bath. It wouldn't take long for the diligent Martha and an army of servant girls to carry buckets full of scalding water to the room, but in the meantime Alexandra hung close to Evelyn, feeling a bit of that cold now that she was away from the bed, her body still taking time to warm even if active.

Regardless of the fact that the Baron and Baroness selected her for this position, Evelyn felt like a outsider here. Not just due to her being a commoner although that lie worried her greatly. No it was this feeling of intrusion, injecting herself into the life of this girl and her servants, disrupting their routines. She had no clue what she was doing or how daily life even progressed for highbornes, a fact which was sure to out her eventually if she wasn't careful. All she could do was rely on her compassion and empathy to look after this girl the best of her ability.

Malnourishment certainly contributed to Evelyns thin build. She never particularly ate too much as good food was hard to come by within the slums of the city. Other escorts used their earnings to keep themselves fed and healthy for their patrons, while Eve tucked away every spare copper, wishing to one day use it for a better life, so the fact that she was here was beyond a dream.

"There was a light chill in the air this morning, but I suppose a little sun and fresh air could do us both some good, along with the tea ofcourse, maybe a light meal. How is your appetite my lady? You're so pale, maybe you'll be in the mood for eating something after a nice hot bath." She gave her shoulder a light squeeze, while they waited for Martha and another servant, a bit younger than Martha, carting in several buckets of scalding water to dump into the bronze bathtub. Evelyn felt eyes on her again before the servants left which made her feel uncomfortable. Was it as Alexandra said, the woman merely held a distaste more strangers and those she didn't hire or train herself? "How come one of them, or even Martha didn't simply become your caretaker? I'm honored for the privilege ofcourse to be at your aid, but why not someone who had already been trusted and loyal?" Eve hoped the answer wasn't something obvious like being a matter of birth and status, it'd only had to her anxiety over her lies.

As the steam filled the room, Eve gently patted Alexandra's arms, signalling her to raise them so she could slip her nightgown up and over her head after having placed her blue dress and under garments upon the mannequin.

"Alright, hopefully it's not too hot." She dipped a finger into the water to check to ensure the girl wasn't burned. it was hot as expected but not harmfully so. "Lean on me, I'll guide you in dear." She braced herself for the girls weight again, directing her to the step next to the bronzen tub. "Up and in, simple." She added in a joyful, upbeat tone.

"Right now I don't feel like it but... maybe it is as you say and the bath will awake my appetite" Alexandra conceded. Even if the small walk had done good for her, she was still feeling so numb and weak that there wasn't much place for real hunger, just an uncomfortable void. Facing the prospect of having to eat in front of Evelyn was embarrassing, perhaps an odd thought to have while almost naked, but that was something more or less normal in front of the service, even if Evelyn's station wasn't exactly that. How was she going to conduct herself properly if she couldn't even see? Both her mother and sometimes even Martha had been the ones feeding her what little she ate, but now she felt strong enough to do certain things by herself, but there was no comforting bath that would restore her vision.

The discomfort made Alexandra welcome Evelyn's proximity, almost clinging to her, but her posture straightened and the distance grew as soon as she heard the door open. It was a bit silly, as the service had seen Alexandra at her worst, but now that her parents weren't there and she was back on her feet, she wanted to project as much strength as she could. After all she was now in charge until her parents came back, a notion that almost caused vertigo on her. The sound of water and soon thereafter Evelyn's question distracted Alexandra from thinking of her responsibilities, at least slightly. "My parents didn't tell me much, and part of that fault lies with me, as I didn't want to hear" Alexandra admitted, guilty of having behaved like a brat, even if it was understandable given her situation. "But in their absence I have to take care of the barony, I'm an only child. So I guess that they wanted a noblewoman who couldn't just be service or a pair of healthy eyes" she said, a hint of sorrow in those last words. "But also an advisor and perhaps a suitable distraction?" Alexandra shrugged. "Just a guess" she repeated.

"Oh, right" Alexandra nodded, understanding what Evelyn wanted, rising her arms so she could undress her. Out of the nightgown Alexandra appeared as a ghastly girl of how pale she was, halfway to become a woman, but still partly too young, even if she would be probably married if she was a commoner. Her risen arms made her show a small thin ruff of blonde hair in her armpits, and the little curves that were apparent under the fabric now were manifest: Her breasts a handful, white as the rest of her, topped with shy, small pink nipples. Her abdomen slightly curvy, a bit of chub heralding hips slightly wide in her otherwise small frame. An unruly and slightly abundant tuft of blonde hair hid her groin, framed with slightly chubby thighs.

"I'm not a baby..." Alexandra weakly protested, even if she was leaning into Evelyn for help, immediately regretting chastising her upbeat tone. She may not be in the mood for levity, but that didn't mean she had to be as somber as possible. "Sorry, that was uncalled for" she admitted, doing her best to step in the bathtub, slowly sinking into the hot water that seemed to awake her senses. Alexandra's glassy blue eyes looked down, warm waters she couldn't see covered her up to the neck. "It feels nice..." she mused, taking one hand out of the water, seeking for Evelyn to hold it. "Excuse me if I seem too touchy" Alexandra said, tilting her head in Evelyn's general direction. "But unless you talk the dark feels lonely, scary" she admitted.

Evelyn was surprised with how clingy the girl was with her. She had anticipated resistance or bratty behavior. Perhaps it was due to her assumption that she was dealing with a wealthy, entitled girl, when the fact was, she was dealing with someone who was sick and alone. She didn't mind ofcourse, in fact, it was rather nice to feel needed in a capacity that went beyond sexual desire.

"Right, ofcourse, even in sickness you have your responsibilities, I imagined this was likely the reason. I am fully capable in assisting you with those duties as well." Evelyn bit her lower lip anxiously which had thankfully gone unseen. Ofcourse she'd be expected to assist in such affairs, by the goddess how daft was she to get herself in this mess. She didn't think about the whole picture, just about how lovely it would be to live in a lavish manor, so what if she was assisting some sick noble girl, simple enough right? Very wrong. Evelyn was incapable of writing, even reading was a challenge for her, being of lowborn birth as she was. Alexandra was blind so ofcourse the baron an baroness wanted someone of noble birth to be her eyes and assist in penning her letters. How long would it take before she was discovered to be a liar? Could she find a way around it? Her head swam anxiously in a flurry of dread before she was pulled back to reality by Alexandra's protests as she assisted her into the tub.

"Huh? Oh--I didnt say you were a baby dear." She sighed, attempting to push her worries away for now. "It's alright my lady, I understand your frustration, I suppose all you want to do is do this on your own and your sickness makes that difficult. I have no desire to treat you like a muling infant, I just want to assist the best I can."
She gave a soft defeated sigh, still attempting to push down the bubbling dread within her that would eventually boil over the moment she had to read or write something for Lady Alexandra.

Silence fell over them both as she dove into her own thoughts, allowing the girl to soak peacefully for a moment. Alexandra's nudity didn't bother her, as she was quite used to the nudity of others, infact it was refreshing to only be expected bathe and clothe the person she was working for rather than the list of other less dignifying things she was used to.

"Hm?" She perked up as Alexandra took her hand, smiling briefly, all of her worries melting away for a moment. "It's alright." She squeezed her hand gently, keeping a firm hold on it, while reaching over with her other hand to run her fingers through the girls locks "Your hair is quite pretty. I'll wash it before you get out, but for the moment, you may as well enjoy the soothing warmth." She paused again, but spoke up again shortly after, recalling what she said about it feeling dark and scary, her heart strings tugging painfully at that rather sad statement.

"What shall we talk about?" her tone more cheery and upbeat, albeit a bit forced. "What was it you enjoyed doing, or still enjoy doing, or wish to do again? I can keep it in mind for the future. Anything that interested you outside your responsibilities as you become a Lady of your house? Any dreams?"

It was somewhat startling, but after a moment of tension, Alexandra leaned slightly towards Evelyn's gentle hand as she stroke her hair. "Thank you" she mused, relaxing on her touch, on the embrace of hot water. "That would be nice, there should be soaps and oils on the cupboard of the corner" Alexandra mentioned without even flinching or pointing, feeling calm and relaxed. The cupboard was host to some crude all purpose soap bar and a bottle of some kind of brew that was supposed to be lavender oil that was nice on the hair. It did smell of lavender and was fine, the few times Alexandra tried it herself some time ago, but she rightly suspected that there wasn't just lavender and olive oil in that mix and she was better off without knowing what it had.

"I learned and read a lot, something that will come useful now" Alexandra confessed. Her voice wavered, as she knew she wouldn't be able to read again, but she feigned strength or at least tried to pull all her character and see her former love for learning as something that made her ready for the challenges to come. "I must confess that I wasn't much of an outside person" Alexandra paused. "Of course, I took walks around, sometimes got around the gardens or the town... but I guess that my world was small and safe" she realized, sighing. "I will have to make sure things are managed properly, although we have a seneschal that takes care of the taxes, I still have to supervise everything" Alexandra mentioned. "I have to tackle the tasks of my parents, make sure the people of Ravenwood are fine, there are no trouble on the borders, that the crops and cattle are healthy, no undesirable newcomers like bandits..." the things that had to be done seemed to have no end, another heavy sigh made the girl look even smaller.

"But mentioning them and getting nervous is like drowning in this bathtub, not to mention that you expressly didn't ask for my duties" Alexandra nodded, a glint on her eye. She may had been risen into privilege and with safety, but she was also her parent's daughter, and even if some of their ancestors could lean into cruelty, it was true that no Ravenwood was frail of character and she wasn't going to be the first. "So I guess that I'm not much into sophisticated past times, and things like knitting and embroidery always bored me" she admitted. "What kind of things do you enjoy, Lady Rosewind?" Alenxandra's toes wriggled playfully underwater as she leaned a bit closer against the bathtub towards Evelyn. "I have never had another lady to talk with, besides my mother" she commented.

And it was true that there are things one wouldn't want to talk with the own mother. Alexandra could be a noble of the countryside, surrounded by humble people, but even she would eventually have to find a suitor to make the name endure the test of times. Alexandra hoped that her still young age and now her sickness bought her time before she had to get accustomed to the idea, but perhaps her sickness played against her. Maybe part of what moved her parents to the capital wasn't just the King's summons, but also finding her... No. She was sure her parents had other things in mind. They had to.

As Alexandra mentioned her preference for reading, another jolt of unease surged through her chest. She wanted to say something comforting, like offering to read to her, but it would only compromise her situation further. Would the girl demand her exile from the estate immediately upon discovering she can't read? From then it wouldn't take long to realize she was a peasant, or even more, a common whore.

"What kind of things do I enjoy? Oh well..." She gave her hand another gentle squeeze while her other continued to run through the girls hair, occasionally reaching into the water to bring a handful of water to the top of her head, gently dampening her golden locks. "When I lived in the city for a time, i enjoyed walking through the streets, taking in the sights, the smells. Overlooking all the many vendors within the market, the trinkets, or the food.Sometimes, I would observe the many different people around me and Imagine what their life was like and how it differed from mine. Did they where strange clothes? Perhaps they went on extravagant adventures!" She laughed softly. "I doubt I was ever close to what they actually were like, but it was a fun game." Evelyn paused, wondering if her pass time would give her away as a commoner? Surely the wealthy amused themselves in such fanciful ways?

"I'm going to let go of your hand for but a moment to fetch soaps and oils." She let go and quickly turned around to search the cupboard for the lavender and oils. It was not uncommon for her to use similar things in her own hair as such were often gifts from wealthy patrons who wanted their whores to smell perfect.

"I'm here." She whispered, before tapping the girls shoulder while drizzling a slight bit of oil into her hair, the fingers of her right hand combing through the tangles until all of her curls were coated in a light sheen.

"Your position sounds stressful." She muttered as she continued to work the oil softly into her hair. "To have so much expected upon you while your world is falling apart at the seams....poor thing. Time to rinse." Cupping he rhands together, she proceeded to dump the water upon Alexandra's head, then switched to some lavender soap, repeating the process of kneading the girls hair. "It's Not that...I mean, I am sure you don't want pity, but I can't imagine what you're going through, which is why I'm here ofcourse. I hope you can come to depend on my Lady Alexandra, I want to help the best I can."

As Evelyn started to answer her question and tenderly poured warm water over her head, Alexandra's worries about her parents' plans slowly faded. Returning her gentle squeeze, Alexandra could feel a certain joy, an honesty to Lady Rosewind's words, her soft laugh making her smile for a moment. Maybe Alexandra had little else to go with nowadays, but she liked Evelyn's voice, finding a kind of reserved music on it. "It's amusing, even if I never thought of doing so, I have always wondered how the ones outside this place live" Alexandra admitted. "If I know what they have, what they lack... maybe I could make their lives better?" she inquired. "It's fine, don't bother walking silently around as many of my service does, sometimes they seem to appear out of nowhere and startle me if I don't hear them coming" Alexandra pointed.

As Evelyn went for the products, Alexandra pondered about something. Evelyn said she lived in the city for for some time, so she had been in more than one place unlike herself, but she noticed that she knew very little of what the circumstances of Lady Rosewind were. Her voice and how she conducted made her feel older to Alexandra, but how old? Was she married and her husband was away involved in manly tasks? Was she a widower? There would be a place and time for those kind of things, and the bathroom wasn't certainly it. "I know that I asked of you to forget the first impression we had, my awkward clumsiness... but I take it back" she said as Evelyn came back to her. "I'm fine with it, if you are to be by my side that won't be the only time I make an embarrassment out of myself" Alexandra admitted with a dry laugh, passing it as an out of place joke, but aware that in her state she was bound to make blunders sooner than later.

Alexandra enjoyed the delicate touch of Evelyn in her hair. She had been gentle before, but now she was decidedly and expertly treating her better than anyone had done before. Alexandra's mother may love her a lot, but she was a practical woman with somewhat crude manners, specially in the intimacy of her family, so Alexandra wasn't used to be pampered that much. "I guess it is" she admitted to her stressful position, her voice almost a purr as she relaxed into Evelyn's touch. "Ah... I..." she blurted, shocked awake by Evelyn's words. She knew she was pitiful, and if she was a peasant her fate would be more than dire, but hearing it from that woman felt like the bathwater had turned to ice. Evelyn must have noticed her distress easily, as she soon tried to add nuance to her words.

"No" Alexandra was flustered, angry. "No, I don't want pity, not yours nor anyone's!" she protested, part of Lady Rosewind's words falling on deaf ears. She swatted Evelyn's hands away from her hair, and in an attempt of getting up from the tub, she only managed to slip of and fall back in, landing on her butt. The embarrassing moment quenched her already weak fire, making her aware of how ridiculous she must look with her pale body and lathered hair, lost in a bathtub. "But I guess I deserve it" she sobbed after a moment, keeping her tears in, her glazed blue eyes looking a bit watery. "I can't even throw a proper tantrum" she protested, slapping the bathwater with frustration. "This house... the one that has always been my kingdom of tales, my playground and wonder... now it feels too big. Too empty" she sighed, knowing that she had to apologize but still gathering the strength to do so.

The girl was sweet, and a true joy to be around, which was not what she had expected at all. There was a melancholy aura about her to be sure, but she enjoyed her company and looked forward to getting to know her better. Was this what it was like to assist and aid someone in a non sexual manner? Despite Alexandra being her superior to some extent, there was no apparent inequality of power. When with her patrons, she was often left in vulnerable and compromising positions, eager to keep them pleased or face varying levels of consequences, here it was quaint, peaceful even.

Her fingers expertly continued to massage the girls scalp, working the aromatic lavender into her hair as they spoke, yet Evelyns initial flinch seemed to give away that she had said something wrong, and suddenly the girls hands had swatted her away in protest, at once Eve knew she made a mistake in her choice of words. She wished she could better relate to her. Speak of her terrible living conditions growing up, being homeless or mention something real within her life to show that Alexandra wasn't alone, that she understood such pity was unwanted, and yet to speak of such a truth would have even more dire consequences.

"I--I'm sorry, I misspoke--p-please my lady, do sit, don't get up." She sputtered anxiously as the water splashed up to the edges of the tub, splashing her chest and lap, gingerly she reached out to touch her arm, but not to grab her in a way that seemed like she was restraining her, only to show that she was still there. "We all need to throw tantrums once in a while. The world is unfair, you know it, I know it. We can only do our best to fight against it and show we're stronger-better than and it won't keep us down." An empty, quiet laugh left her lips followed by a sigh of relief once it seemed Alexandra had calmed. "Forgive me, what I said was crude and unintended. May I continue? You have beautiful hair." She added hoping a compliment would slightly raise her spirits.

"About what you were saying before my blunder, about deciding not to forget our first impression. I like that. Why don't we accept that sometimes we may not have our best moments, but for what ever they were, they happened and are a part of us. We can both embarrass ourselves and accept it and hopefully accept eachother as we spend more time together." She smiled, but then gently carressed the girls cheek with her thumb to complete the gesture, knowing the smile would go unseen.

"let's finish getting you washed up, So we can have that tea and perhaps continue to make fools of ourselves." She said with a light chuckle, hoping it was enough to ease the tension.

Alexandra was abashed, feeling tiny and insignificant in that enormous bathtub, so as Evelyn touched her arm, kept the contact and complimented her, it felt right, warmer than the hot water itself. "Yes... continue..." was all she managed to say without her voice breaking, keeping composure. She may have made a fool of herself, but even if she had been in turmoil those past days, often crying herself to sleep, she wasn't going to shed tears in front of Lady Rosewind, no matter what it took. Evelyn's gentle touch allowed Alexandra to focus on it, how she treated her hair, and it felt calming down. It wasn't exactly a motherly touch, even if it was tender, nor was it the attention of a servant, as it felt volitional, it was... something else, perhaps friendly.

"Ah-" once again Evelyn's touch surprised Alexandra. Not that it was a bad thing, even less when she had asked for it herself, but that caress on her face was something unexpected, an intimate gesture Alexandra wasn't accustomed to. Her parents may be loving, but the manners on the province were somewhat crude, rough. And the service? No, the service would never touch her like that. Not even Martha, that had known her for all her life, as she was a stern example of the women of the region, motherly but tough, not prone to that kind of gesture. Alexandra reached for Evelyn's hand, wet and warm with the bathwater, and took it until she was kind of cupping Alexandra's face as she leaned into it. "Thank you" the girl mumbled, hiding her shiny blue eyes, not as she could look at Evelyn, but as she felt embarrassed by the accepting gesture and how she hungered for precisely that.

"Yes, lets finish with this before the water gets cold" Alexandra nodded, liking the ease that Evelyn showed in her manners, not at all the stuffy lady she had feared could Evelyn have been. Her accent was a close one, and yet she conducted like she belonged to a warmer, happier place. Alexandra couldn't manage a laugh, but Evelyn's easygoing chuckle made her smile. "I didn't... I didn't tell all the truth earlier" she confessed, sounding embarrassed. "When you asked about what I wanted to do?" she explained, letting Evelyn take care of her in the meantime. "I don't know all that it's needed to rule, as I lack practical experience, but the books in here can't teach me anymore" she added. "I don't know if it's possible, but I'd love to learn to play something, to make music" she revealed, covering her face with her hands for a moment.

"It may sound silly, and perhaps it's not possible but..." she mumbled, revealing another part of herself. "Perhaps there is a way?" she wondered hopeful. Minstrels and troubadours passed through Ravenwood from time to time, and Alexandra always was delighted with not only their tales of places far from her own, but mostly the music they could make. Maybe it was something that a lady shouldn't do, she didn't know that much, so she waited for Evelyn's reaction with baited breath.

Evelyn continued to lather up Lady Alexandra's hair, slowly working her fingers through the lovely blonde locks while the faint scent of lavender filled the air. She decided to focus on her task as it would prevent her from any further missteps with her words, although it seemed she avoided a complete disaster, the girl seemed eager for a friend and her response to the gentle touch upon her cheek took her surprise as her hand was taken and held to her cheek for a prolonged period of time. Probably hasn't met anyone aside from her parents, and the help. starved for affection...just like me. Evelyn silently lamented while cupping the girls cheek, and slowly rinsing her hair with her free hand. Evelyn was beginning to realize They were in many ways opposite sides of the same coin. She spent most of her life dreaming of a way into the wealthy life, while Alexandra wanted freedom, and the response to her touch proved she hungered for an affection she had never felt before, while Evelyn who had sex professionally wished for something more real.

A light chuckle escaped her lips while she finished rinsing the girls hair. "Hm? Didn't tell me what?" She inquired, now straightening Alexandra's clean, damp hair with her fingers. "Oh, music?" Her eyes lit up as she laughed softly. "How is that silly? Music is beautiful and now quite possibly even more important to you than ever. Music is art for the ears, and I don't see why you couldn't learn how to play something, even without your sight." Evelyn had managed to sound so intelligent, even to her own surprise. Ofcourse most of these ideas were simply concepts born from the many patrons she met in her time as a whore. "I can sing, I don't make a habit of it, I don't know how good I am really, but I used to sing for one of my--" She paused "--Friends he often requested me sing for him when we spent time together. I can't say I enjoyed it much." She couldn't say why she didn't enjoy it without giving away more unpleasant details about her life. "Probably because we aren't close any longer and so it has soured my memories of it, yes that's it--Do you, does your family own any instruments? I couldn't teach you personally, but maybe you can learn and practice and I can help? perhaps we could make it a goal for each day, something to lift the spirits, yes?"

Her hands fell from the girls hair, gently landing to her shoulders patting the wet skin gently. "Alright, time to get out. Water isn't too warm any more, can't imagine what it is like for you. I'm spending too much time talking." She laughed, before leaning into the tub to offer support and leverage in aiding the girl out of the slippery basin. "Let's get you dry and clothed and then we can have that tea and talk at our leisure." Slowly and delicately she began to pat the girl dry with a linen towel, before reaching for the under garments and blue dress with white flowers to slip over her freshly cleaned body.

"Martha, will you be a dear and put some tea on for us?" She called out into the hall. So far the older woman had remained close by, whether she wanted to ensure prompt service or was paranoid of the newcomer, Evelyn was unsure, but if anything it was probably both. "Take my arm and tell me the way, alright? How are you feeling?" She asked again, a pang of guilt striking her, fearing that she would make Alexandra feel as if she were some broken thing with the way she kept inquiring, but she didn't want to push her too hard.

Alexandra had been drifting in a new and horrible world where there was nothing but darkness, only broken by the smell of sickness and distant noises she couldn't identify. Even familiar voices had felt empty, void of character as she had been treated like a doll who could shatter into a thousand pieces any moment. Now it wasn't all pitch black anymore. As warm water enveloped her, scent of lavender danced in the air. Alexandra could feel Evelyn's attention on how she worked her hair, her tender care as she touched her face. Even if silent, Alexandra felt the room filled with Lady Rosewind's presence, the darkness slightly cast away.

Even how she laughed naturally, without the affectation a lady was supposed to have, was something of note. Of course, it wasn't the somewhat boisterous even if sometimes enviable laughs of the service girls, specially when she suspected they talked of something improper. Nor was it the roaring guffaws of the men that worked around the house, crude and hearty. It was refined, but not fake, once again feeling musical. Alexandra coulndn't help but open her eyes wider in hopeful surprise, almost wanting to turn her face towards Evelyn, but not wanting to make the care of her hair more difficult. Could she really learn to play an instrument or was Lady Rosewind just being gentle? No, Alexandra didn't get the feel that she would lie to her like that. Maybe she was right, maybe she could.

"Oh... that's a pity" Alexandra nodded softly. She had hoped to hear Evelyn sing since the moment she admitted to having that talent, but if it brought painful memories... "There is a piano in the ballroom, although I don't know if it works, it's quite old..." she answered, taken into Evelyn's pace, lifted by her energy. "Maybe we can do it. Lift the spirits, make new memories, balance the sour with sweet" Alexandra talked faster than she had done since Evelyn knew her, enthused, a smile painted in her face. As Evelyn was leaving her hair, Alexandra turned her head to face her. Perhaps Alexandra couldn't see Evelyn, but Lady Rosewind could sure see a shine in those empty blue eyes, a pink in her pale cheeks. "If I learn to play, will you sing with me?" she begged for a positive answer.

After the exciting moment, it was time to get out of the water, getting lukewarm by the minute. "Ah, I'm fine. Winters can be cold in Ravenwood, I'm used to low temperatures" Alexandra said as Evelyn worried about her. "In fact, I'm feeling way better than I had in... what seems forever" she nodded, getting out of the tub with Evelyn's help. "Tea will be nice-" Alexandra said, noticing that she was not only willing, but eager to drink some, rising her arms making the whole task of drying her easier. As she did so, her sentence was interrupted by her own body, as her stomach uttered a quite unladylike growl. "Ah. Hahahaha-" Alexandra managed to laugh at her own expense, a first since that ordeal had begun. Her voice sounded as delicate as her, the white flower that was born into the rocks of the mountain, as she was an unlikely one to find in the harsh lands of Ravenwood. "Ask for some sweets too" she added, her voice unable to reach that far as the hall yet. "I don't think I can tackle a real meal yet, but indulging my sweet tooth it's only natural..." Alexandra shrugged, being a bit fickle now that she was in charge.

It was somewhat embarrassing to let Evelyn dress her to that point. Alexandra had always help with the most complicated dresses, but having to lean on Evelyn, rise her legs and move around as instructed to wear even her undergarments was something else. At least that sped up the process, or she will be forever fighting those fabrics to probably look awful afterwards. She liked her fresh, clean hair, shaking her head to feel it move around. She normally had it in different buns and braids and all sorts of hairdos, just passing time by doing her own hair, but now that she couldn't do as such, Alexandra appreciated the feeling of freedom that the unruly hair had. "Yes, lets go" Alexandra nodded, positive. "I'm feeling hungry and curious" she said, feeling an unexpected reservoir of energy in her, taking Lady Rosewind's arm and guiding her around.

"I want to show you the corners of the house, once my legs feel better" Alexandra commented. It was true that she was decided and felt better, but she was still weakened by the sickness that robbed her sight, and she walked with not only the unsteady pace of someone frail, but also the insecure stride of someone who couldn't see. "When we reach the door warn me, we are headed to the back garden" she commented, tackling the task of just walking the corridor from her room was utterly strange. It was familiar, but until she got accustomed it could be an utterly unknown place to her. Once they reached the stairs, Alexandra shivered. "It's just a flight of stairs, two doors to the right and you will see the ballroom I talked you about, the one with the piano" she tightened her grip on Evelyn, scared of a simple set of stairway. "On the back of it there is a set of windowed doors that lead to a balcony and the gardens. It's breezy in winter, but it should be nice now, specially on the sun" she mentioned. "I have to tell Martha to arrange a table there, is she around?" Alexandra wondered, as she had no way of knowing.

"I would love to sing with you." She said cheerfully while adjusting and smoothing out Alexandra's dress after properly dressing her. Alexandra was such a sweetheart, watching her become so hopeful at the thought of learning something new, seeing her face light up at the prospect of something to look forward to. Her heart swelled for this girl and at this moment, all guilt and regret for taking this position and lying in order to get here had flittered away.

"You have beautiful rosy cheeks my dear." She reached up to fix her hair, while brushing her thumb against her cheek again, taking a moment to look into her hazy unresponsive eyes. "I'm glad you're feeling better, but let's not get ahead of ourselves, we'll take it easy, get you settled outside and enjoy our tea, alright?" Considering the state she saw the girl in earlier that day, this upbeat energy was nice, but she feared it would be shortlived, she certainly appeared to be dreadfully ill upon first impression and the implication fear that her health was on a decline made her fearful. She liked this girl, it wasn't just about living a wealthier lifestyle anymore, she genuinely wanted to make this girls life brighter.

"Martha?" Evelyn peaked around the corner as she guided the girl down the hall slowly, careful not to overexert her. At first, there was no response but soon she saw Martha on the other side of a corridor holding a kettle. "Something sweet for the lady as well please, and we'll take it out in the back garden." She tried to say as softly as possible after heeding Lady Alexandra's directions. Martha gave a light grunt before disappearing again which caused the guilt to resurface back within the pit of her stomach. She didn't exactly like the feeling of giving orders to this woman who likely served this family most of her life and was now forced to endure a silly stranger who had no idea what she was doing.

Evelyn gave a light squeeze of Alexandra's shoulder as she guided her, laughing softly in response to her tummy rumbles. "a small appetite is better than no appetite, it will be good to get something into you, to be honest I'm a bit hungry too, it's been a while." She hadn't eaten in two days, the whore house had refused to feed her once they learned she was leaving them for a better life, so she missed out on dinner the day prior. "I look forward to when you can show me around your home, it's beautiful here, just like you. I'm honored to be here and serve you Lady Alexandra."

They took their time stepping down the corridors, occasionally she would pause to give Alexandra a breather, afraid she'd over exhaust her even before they reached the garden. Finally they reached the windowed doors, which Eve pushed open with her left hand, while her right remained firmly around Alexandra's waist. "It looks like Martha's already set the table for us." The table within the gardens was set with a steaming kettle and two beautifully designed tea cups, which left Evelyn almost in awe. Everything from their hallway decor to their dishes, screamed wealth. A floral scent of leaves and rose petals wafted from the steeping tea, Eve could tell it would compliment the sweet cakes sitting within the center of the table next to what appeared to be a platter of fruit. Evelyns eyes budged at the sight of the fruit which was unheard of for someone of her stature. She was quite fortunate that Alexandra was blind so as to not see her awe struck expression.

"Here we are, my dear." She said sweetly as she guided the girl into one of the cushioned chairs. "Comfortable? Anything you need before I sit? Are you warm enough." Once Alexandra was comfortable, she began to pour the tea into each cup..

Alexandra was getting more and more accustomed to Evelyn's gentle attention, her tender touch on everything she did, growing fond of her guiding hands. Her presence, not only in voice but in body, gave Alexandra guidance and company, helping her not feel alone in the dark. The walk through the house was slow, paced to not only fit her blindness as she was unsure of how to proceed, but also her weakened state and dependence of Lady Rosewind. Despite what she had said earlier, it seemed to Alexandra that Evelyn was managing Martha's character just fine, although she didn't know what the veteran woman thought of Evelyn as she usually didn't share her opinion unless asked. Alexandra only hoped that they would have no problem working with each other, as that would cause her trouble as head of the house.

Head of the house.

Just the idea seemed baffling, utterly nonsensical, and yet, Alexandra couldn't help but feel a bit at ease with it, if not eager to tackle it. It was partly thanks to that newfound courage Evelyn instilled on her, but there was also that uncertainty underlying it, that tension. The sooner she faced her duties as Lady Ravenwood the earlier she'd know what it entailed and if she was capable, blindness or not. Evelyn's acceptance of her inadequacies, her mistakes, made Alexandra feel a bit warmer, comfortable. "Of course you are, I didn't think of that" Alexandra realized out loud, it was normal for Evelyn to be hungry after her travel, even if she didn't quite know where Lady Rosewind was coming from. "Anything you may need or want, just ask Martha" she added, keeping her slow march along the house, taking the small pauses in stride, without throwing a tantrum over her perceived weakness.

"The sun..." Alexandra muttered, as Evelyn walked her outside, informing her of the table setup. "I can feel it in my face" she added with a note of wonder in her voice. She may not see the grass shine under the light, or what kind of sweets had Martha deemed proper for the moment, but that warmth on her face brightened her mood, as the sunlight reflected on her glassy blue eyes. "I'm fine but..." Alexandra commented, shifting a bit nervous on her seat after Evelyn had helped her. "I can't quite... I mean, perhaps with training..." she blushed. "I know I said I wasn't a little baby before but..." it was clear that Alexandra was embarrassed, not being able to finish one single sentence without skipping to another.

"If you could sit next to me, I'd be thankful" Alexandra said, managing to recover her composure. "I'll need help with the food" she finally blurted. She wanted to eat by herself, but unless she used her hands instead of the cutlery, she had no way of even having a clue of what she was eating or if she had finished her plate, not to mention wanting to avoid soiling her dress like an infant. She wanted to get going with the food and tea, she wanted to talk with Evelyn, so many questions to ask... but for now, she waited until they were going with the sweets and tea, hoping that she didn't look too embarrassed in the eyes of Lady Rosewind.

"You're not a baby, and I wouldn't dream of comparing you to one. Our knowing of one another may be brief so far my lady, but you seem quite capable to me considering your health, there's no shame in asking for help, never. It wouldn't matter if you had the ability to see or not, I wouldn't think anything less of you." Slowly the woman patted her on the shoulder, before quickly moving to the other side of the table in order to grip and lift the other chair, sliding it carefully until it was next to her. "If you ask me, I think there are too many proud people in the world who are afraid to ask for help, or bully others into being afraid to. I think it'd be a better place if we all helped each other out a bit more often, don't you?" Evelyn bit her lip, realizing that maybe she was over stepping by voicing an opinion that could be considered extreme, and to someone of a much higher status than her, then again, it was assumed Evelyn was a lady as well, so perhaps she wouldn't be considered out of line.

"Eh-heheh, never mind, I was getting carried away with my thoughts don't mind me. My point is, don't feel shame in asking for help, no matter how silly you think it is, I'm here for you."

She lowered herself into the chair on Alexandra's left side, her shoulder brushing up against Alexandra's, before reaching out to pull one of the cups closer to the lady of the house, along with one of the sweet cakes. "There's some fresh fruit here, and some sweet cakes and hot tea ofcourse." carefully, Eve reached her arm around Alexandra, running a hand along her right arm until she cupped the top of her hand before guiding it to the sweet cake. "The tea is probably a little to hot to drink yet, so here, feel it. Don't be afraid to get your fingers sticky, that's half the fun." Evelyn didn't even consider the prim and proper etiquette of a lady, like Alexandra, or that eating with one's hands could be considered rude or un-lady like. you ate what you could get where she lived, and you ate it however you could, utensils were rarely an option. Whether you were drinking soup out of a bowl or picking up food with your fingers, utensils were often a luxury folk like her couldn't even dream of.

"It smells lovely, I imagine you have a cook that makes everything here?" She said slightly in awe, unable to contain her wonder as her eyes drifted over the plate of fruit and sweet cakes. even the aroma from the tea was tantalizing. "Wow are those strawberries? I've only had them once and it was only due to a special request from a..." She trailed off, flushing in embarrassment, which fortunately went unseen. "Uh I mean, the province I come from, Strawberries are rare is all and I never had a chance to eat them when I was in the city briefly." Evelyn knew she had to be more careful. Further slip ups when excited or comfortable could end this little adventure really quick, and she was really enjoying it based on first impressions, and most of the joy wasn't even from the luxury, it was due to lovely Alexandra who despite her illness still had so much life in her and willingness to exist.

"What's your favorite fruit, do you have one? Or do you prefer the sweet cakes?" She giggled playfully.

Growing sheltered between books and away of the nobles closer to the throne had made Alexandra be set apart from the usual ladies, even belonging in a distant barony like Ravenwood, but even she found Evelyn's words a tad extravagant in a noble. Not that she disliked them, nor did they seem false in a vain attempt to garner Alexandra's favor, but then the only option was that they were honest words, a rarity in people of their status. "Bold words, Lady Rosewind" Alexandra admitted. "But I couldn't agree more, I can understand why my parents trusted in you" she added, starting to realize why they chose her. Alexandra's father and grandfather were the ones that turned the reputation of Baron Ravenwood into one of a man that cared for the people that formed his domain, so Alexandra had of course been raised into that belief.

"Don't, please" Alexandra blurted, sounding sincere. "As a young woman, as a sheltered noble, as a blind girl..." she recited, her voice a mix of grief and acceptance, "there already are many things hidden from me" she explained. "Lets not make your thoughts one of those things, please, speak with liberty when we are alone" she asked, knowing that she was requesting no small thing of her caretaker.

With their attention turned to the most pleasant aspects of the moment, it was a delight hearing Evelyn's bright voice talk about the tea, fruit and sweets. Lady Rosewind sounded natural talking about eating with her fingers, excited about strawberries, and she sat shoulder to shoulder with her, as if they were peasants on a tavern she saw once. The closeness, the complicity, it was so much at once that Alexandra felt herself blush, what she knew about eating etiquette being torn apart in favor of a comfortable approach. Oh, how Evelyn talked, how she giggled with delight. Alexandra felt uncomfortable for a moment, and yet, she couldn't help but be all the more curious, all the more lively. Ravenwood manor could be too big, too empty to fill it, but Evelyn seemed to be managing to illuminate her life, even if it was with notions she didn't even think about before.

"Then please, eat as many strawberries as you fancy, don't mind me" Alexandra managed to speak, overwhelmed with the moment all she could do was to be a gentle host, but that meant that Evelyn's question couldn't go unanswered. "I love peaches, so juicy..." she confessed, joining Evelyn in that devotion for the food. "But I have too much of a sweet tooth to not pick any kind of chocolate cake available. Our cook's helper makes a particularly rich one" she admitted, answering Evelyn's another question, as they did have not only a cook, but he had also a young boy at his charge that had showed a skilled hand for confectionery.

Alexandra fidgeted, brushing her shoulder against Evelyn's, an insidious idea had perched into her mind, and now it refused to leave. "Lady Rosewind, I couldn't dare to..." she mused. "It would be highly improper..." mumbled, sighing. "I don't think I can eat with my fingers, so unbecoming..." her voice showed that she worried about it, but also that hint of temptation, as she was asking permission to transgress the rules of both her gender and station. The alternative was also embarrassing, as it would entail either Evelyn feeding her or Alexandra herself making a mess in the process. "Maybe just the tea..." she said, sad, as she could manage something that was on a cup, the growl on her stomach thinking otherwise.

Relief flooded through her when Alexandra admitted she could tell why her parents chose her. Suddenly, any doubt she had about her place here had been lifted, or about the ideas she was voicing. She may not have had all the appropriate training that went into being a prim and proper lady, but maybe right now Alexandra needed less of that, after all she was no longer leading a life of the most privileged, she was facing hardships more common with the peasant folk. Illness, weakness and the like. "I will try my best to continue to speak my mind then my lady, which I have no problem with. you're an absolute joy to talk to."

Her lips spread wide as the girl insisted she eat as much as she like. It was a strange thing to have that option for the first time in her life, but it felt bittersweet. It wasn't just the lie, but the thought that the other escorts she left behind were still forced to endure while she got a taste of the high life for seemingly nothing. "They all do lo--smell wonderful." She quickly corrected herself, wishing to refrain from such statements. She'd be happy to describe things in detail, but she never wanted to make alexandra jealous or mournful of her lost sight.

Unable to resist, she picked up a strawberry and brought it to her lips, taking a small bright. "mmm--oh!" She gasped as she was met with the sweet, fresh flavor of the small red berry. "It tastes wonderful." It was then she took notice of Alexandra's hesitance to use her fingers, whether it was her inability to shed the etiquette that had been likely ingrained in her since birth, or the difficulty of relearning simple tasks most people took for granted, she wasn't sure, but she quickly set down the half eaten strawberry to return her focus on the sickly girl. "Here." She said gently, as she reached out to tear a chunk of the sweet cake with her fingers before lifting it toward Alexandra's lips, brushing it gently against them to make her aware of its presence. "I'm here to help you. If you have no appetite, it's fine, say so and I'll put it down, and we can drink our tea and continue our pleasant conversation, but take a bite if you wish. No shame in it, I'm merely assisting, and I don't mind, honest."

In order to distract her from what could seem like an embarrassing moment and to distract her from what could possibly be a compromising moment, she continued to make conversation as she held up the food, her other arm, still draped around her. "Tea, sweet food and music. We shall try to make this a daily ritual if we can, something to look forward to yes? I know you'll have your responsibilities and I'll be with you for that too, but let's fill our days with wonder and joy. I like seeing you smile, it looks good on you. So what other rare interests do you have that we can explore or discuss?"

"Oh!" Alexandra was surprised by the spongy touch on her lips, something that stopped her from wondering what Evelyn meant with that 'here' she gently said. With Alexandra's upbringing putting a stop to her initiative, it seemed that Lady Rosewind took matters into her hands. She was happy to hear how Evelyn enjoyed the strawberries, but when it was time for her to eat, it was somewhat compromising. Even if Evelyn offered her a chance to back off, Alexandra didn't want to pass on that proposal, licking with the tip of her tongue the small bits that the mere brush had left in her lips. "Ah.. fine..." she resigned herself to lose a bit of her etiquette to quench her appetite. Her golden hair moved a bit around as she leaned in, guided by nothing but smell and hoping that Evelyn would take care of the rest.

At first she was cautious, afraid of injuring herself with the fork, taking the smallest of nibbles from the chocolatey confection, but the sweet taste soon made her bow for more, opening her mouth wider. It had been so long, it felt so powerful in her tongue, that Alexandra couldn't help but sigh, pleasured as she engulfed a piece of cake bigger than it would be ladylike to do. As she pulled back, Alexandra closed her lips in, not wanting to leave any traces of that wonderful treat in the cutlery, but her sightless eyes opened wide and her retreat hastened when she noticed no metal. Fiercely blushing, Alexandra couldn't even apologize, her mouth completely full of chocolate goodness. Her shaky hands managed to find the tea and help herself down the bite, gulping audibly as she did so.

What brushed her lips, what she had almost bitten into, slobbered in, was no fork whatsoever, but Evelyn's fingers. "Ah... Lady Rosewind... I didn't know... I thought it was a fork..." she mumbled, her mind galloping beyond her mouth could articulate. It was sure that Evelyn had to be embarrassed as well, right? Wait, but she did take the cake with her fingers of her own volition, so perhaps it wasn't so bad? There had to be a reason for her to do such a thing, and then Alexandra remembered what she had thought, what she had feared as she took the bite. "Thank you for worrying about me not pinching my mouth with a fork, but that was unexpected..." she managed to say. "I don't..." her somewhat childish hunger for chocolate too big to ignore. "I don't object to it... but make sure the service isn't looking... I can't..." Alexandra left the sentence unfinished. If she was to rule Ravenwood in her parents' absence, she couldn't look like a bratty kid in front of her servants.

Eager to continue eating and leaning closer and closer to that half embrace Evelyn had her in, Alexandra found comfort and distraction in the conversation. Taking smaller bites from Evelyn's fingers and doing her best to not touch her hand, even if such a thing was almost impossible, Alexandra did her best to look dignified and keep the talk going. "I'd love to do this as often as it's possible, although things could change depending on the day" she admitted, her chocolate smudged lips curving into a little smile, blushing a bit as Evelyn complimented it.

"I guess that my most rare interest right now is one and one only" Alexandra answered playful. One of her hands was always with the tea cup, changing as needed but she did never got her hands away, so she wouldn't have to work around finding it again. "You have already learned many things about me, from my looks to my tastes" she continued. "And yet I know so little of you, Lady Rosewind" Alexandra sighed. She didn't want to get personal, not so suddenly and not while she was feeding her with her fingers, but she was really curious about her caretaker. With a switch of hands at the tea cup, Alexandra left her left one on the cup, that arm limited in movement due to Evelyn's proximity. "I don't know how is your face, the color of your eyes and hair, how you dress..." Alexandra slowly rose her hand towards the source of Lady Rosewind's voice, but carefully as she didn't want to touch her without permission.

"May I?" Alexandra inquired. "Guide me through your hair, your face... tell me about you, my rare interest" she smiled, eager to ask further, but settling with Evelyn's outer appearance for the time being.

As Alexandra leaned in, finally accepting the bite of cake between her fingers, she felt her soft lips enclose over her thumb before the girl pulled away in surprise and embarrasment, taking several moments to chew and swallow her delicious bite before she could respond, while Evelyn looked on with a playful smile. "Using a fork certainly had it's risks, especially if you leaned in too fast or poked yourself. My hands are clean if that's what you're worried about." She laughed softly. "You're quite cute when you're embarrassed. I can switch to a fork if you prefer but if you're okay with this, it's easier for the both of us I think." She picked up another piece of cake and held it close to her lips. "Here's some more when you're ready my lady."

Evelyn couldn't see the problem with feeding her by hand, but ofcourse she hadn't been raised in a wealthy, classy household, if she had it probably would have been different. Yet another sign of her weak lies, tearing at the seams. Perhaps it would make her seem travelled or cultured. After all she did say she was from another province.

It was her turn to blush this time, which went unseen by Alexandra, most fortunately. Her cheeks flushed a deep red upon being addressed as a rare interest, more so when she was asked permission to let her face be touched, to describe her appearance. Until this moment all of her interactions with Alexandra had been innocent, isisterly if one was to give a word for it. However, something about her inquiry, combined with their compromising position, gave her flashbacks to being with her many patrons. Her hand faltered, pulling the piece of cake out of Lady Ravenwood's reach as her mind drifted to the many, often unpleasant experiences where she was referred to as a muse or object of fascination.

This wasn't the same, she had to remind herself. There was nothing sexual of any kind here. She was a caretaker for this girl, nothing more. It was her own trauma that made her feel this way, and no fault of Alexandra, and yet being referred to as a special interest, seemed to sour the moment for her, sucking her back into the pit of objectification and sexual humiliation. Maybe she personally was to blame as well, after all she had been rather affectionate with the girl since her arrival, to the point of even overstepping boundaries? Was that a mistake? It was simply her way, but perhaps she could tone it down? No, she was panicking over nothing, this was merely a case of a moment triggering bad memories. There was certainly nothing predatory or malicious about this girl, she was innocent, curious and lonely.

During this brief moment of inner panic and anxiety, Evelyns hand holding the piece of cake had fallen to the table, her arm which had been wrapped around Alexandra too had slipped away. She had become quiet and still as her thoughts tormented her before finally she pulled herself back. "Huh--oh..." Deciding that her fears were merely her own traumas resurfacing, she ignored them and continued as if nothing happened, returning the cake back to Alexandra's lips. "Well my hair is a bit long, past my shoulders, golden like yours, but not near as pretty." She complimented, smiling and laughing softly. "My eyes are blue, I imagine my face is pretty plain, but I have been told my eyes are my best feature. My gown is red and brown, soft white fur around the collar of my neck. I'm sure you've felt it by now, leaning against me as you are."

When speaking to Alexandra, her words had always been confident and joyful, but when talking about herself, in describing her appearance, that pleasant tone had disappeared. Not even Evelyn noticed her change of inflection, but to someone who couldn't use their eyes to read someone, it might have been more obvious, that any confidence or certainty she had when helping Alexandra, was vacant, a keen ear could possibly detect a hint of self loathing.

Back
Top Bottom