Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Sightless [Sigr / Raina_Reader]

Evelyn smiled in the darkness as Alexandra nestled up against her, and the pair soon took to sleep underneath the warm covers. It was her turn to suffer from night terrors. At first, a wave of confusion, people with torches chasing her through the city streets as she ran hurriedly before tripping over her dress and slamming hard into the cobblestone road. Before she could utter a cry for help, the scene shifted and she found herself in the warm, welcoming setting of Alexandra's room, only instead of Alexandra, Garland stepped through the door, her most violent and possessive patron, a lord of some esteem. "I've found you, you couldn't hide from me you whore!" She screamed as he leapt at her causing her to cower in the corner but she had no where to hide.

As the morning light flickered through the window in the early morning, an eerie fog bathing the grounds with morning dew. Evelyn whimpered softly in her sleep, twisting in the bed, nudging Alexandra as her dream continued to plague her during the waking morning. The pair had ended up nuzzling against one another quite closely amidst the cold hours in the night but now Evelyn had broken into a cold sweat, her body tossing restlessly as she muttered aloud "I'm not a whore, stop, please that isnt...me anymore..." She turned again, rolling, slightly nudging the other girl once more, before she cried out, sitting up abruptly gasping and panting. "Gods..." she muttered as her heart raced but she immediately grew calmer as realization washed over her. She was safe. This was a safe place.

"Sorry." She muttered sleepily unsure if she had wokren Alexandra with her cry or if she had already been stirring beforehand. Evelyn was oblivious to anything she may had said during her night terror.

"Good Morning Alexandra." She said sleepy voice, appreciative of the fact she didn't to worry about how she looked, nor did she have to put on a fake smile to mask her lingering fear and worry from the dream that tormented her. It was then that she remembered she was only sleeping in Alexandra's bed due to the girls own night terrors and found it mildly ironic. "I hope you slept well." She added in cheerful voice which seemed a bit forced.

The awkward embrace they had ended in broke as Evelyn moved and shuffled around, finally waking Alexandra up. The woman was still there within her grasp, the girl catching a whiff of her natural aroma, her known voice, all those familiar things helping her to wake up safe, and not startled of the foreign presence that shared her bed in the darkness. "Eve-" she whispered, wanting for her friend to notice she was awoke, but it seemed that her movement was product of a bad dream of her own, as she was also mumbling things that made Alexandra interrupt her talking.

Crawling a bit closer to the source of sound, being as careful as she could to not bump heads, Alexandra listened to what ailed her friend, using her hands to cover her mouth to stifle a gasp as she talked in dreams. Alexandra instantly regretted it, as Evelyn had trusted in her as much as the girl trusted her and now she was listening into things she had no right to. What she heard saddened her, as it seemed that nightmares had also plenty to torture Evelyn and it was far from being something exclusive to Alexandra. Evelyn had acknowledged that her life had been... somewhat less ladylike than Alexandra expected, when they talked over some sweets the day before, but it seemed that her behavior chased her into the dreams, making her have to defend herself from baseless accusations.

A whore, just because she didn't conduct herself like expected? Did that uncouth behavior pained her so much that her nightmares called her a whore? That was horrible, and the usually proper and well raised Alexandra couldn't even begin to think how bad it had to feel to see your reputation challenged like that, even if it was in a dream. As Evelyn woke and sat up, Alexandra tried to clumsily follow her in the darkness, humming in appreciation when she said sorry. "Good Morning Evelyn" she returned the greeting. "There is nothing to be sorry about" she awkwardly sat up, finding Evelyn's head and calmly caressing her in the dark. "It was just a bad dream, it seems that we had a pretty hectic night" she voiced.

"And yeah, nothing to be sorry about, I feel rested. Better than I've slept in a long while, even if I fell of the bed sometime last night" Alexandra said, remembering the incident. "I hope you did rest as well, although..." the girl didn't want to mention the nightmare, wanting to leave it in the past where it belonged. "I don't even know what time is it, we can rest in bed more if needed" Alexandra showed a somewhat sleepy smile, the first one of the day and all thanks to her newfound companion. "After all, I'm in charge..." she completed the joke. She didn't want to talk about Evelyn's nightmare unless asked, since she thought it would do no good and didn't want to confess that she had been nosy, even if she didn't mean to.

Waking up to find herself in the bed of Alexandra was a huge relief after the dream she had. Opening her bleary eyes and laying them upon the ill yet pretty young woman within the bed next to her had filled her with instant relief and the fact that there was no man in the immediate vicinity. This was exactly the sort of escape she needed, away from men, away from servicing them, away from speaking to them. Away from being their plaything and object. Yes she had seen men briefly within Alexandra's home, but non prominent enough to warrant more than a few words, the only individual she seemed to be dealing with a lot aside from Alexandra herself was Martha, another woman. Part of her wished she could unburden herself, wished she could confess the horrors of her old life and why she was so relieved to see Alexandra's pretty face in the bed next to her.

She smiled sheepishly as the girl carressed her head. "Ah..." Had she spoken in her sleep? No, it was unlikely, she couldn't even remember words being exchanged, only the panic and the fleeing from Garland. No, Alexandra knew it was a night terror because she had woken up screaming, obviously. "I'm glad you were able to sleep better in the later half of the night, sorry if I woke you with my wailing." She sighed, sounding disgruntled while she wrestled with the moral dilemma of withholding the truth of who she was. Her sour sounding tone quickly shifted with Alexandra's joke, quickly bursting into a fit of laughter. "Yes, it's true, you are in charge. Well i hope you declare, more rest because I don't want to get out of bed yet."

Evelyn wrapped an arm around the girl cuddling close to her within the covers. "It's chilly and I'm afraid to admit that nightmare has left me a little...unbalanced." Again she wrestled bringing up her past with the girl whom she bonded with so quickly, someone she was beginning to regard as a close friend which was silly as it had only been a day, yet it reflected how lonesome her life had been up until this point. "If i'm to spend more nights here looking over you, you may be forced to look after me" she laughed anxiously. "I've...endured some trying situations over the years and done some things unbefitting of a lady... in order to survive." She said abruptly in a steady tone, deciding it was better to make it clear now that she had a questionable history. She certainly didn't want to go into details nor did she wish to outright admit she had been a whore in a brothel for her entire adult life, but atleast this way if she was outed down the line either through her nightmares or someone who discovered the truth, it wouldn't seem like she was completely trying to deceive Alexandra, and that was important to her. Though if Alexandra decided to push her for details, she wasn't sure she could lie to her.

"The light is still dim." She changed the subject. "So If you still wish to stay in bed for a time, I would not object." She nudged her playfully. "But breakfast soon would probably be nice. You said you slept well, how are you feeling? How is your appetite?"

Evelyn's laughter made Alexandra's morning shine bright, more so when she was the one responsible for causing that laugh. It was nice to have her to take care of things, but that didn't mean she was a servant. At least not just a servant. She was a friend like Alexandra had always wished for and never got, so bringing her the same joy the woman caused in her was a pleasure. "Then I declare more rest!" she announced with a fake solemn voice, hiding under the covers and cuddling closer and closer to Evelyn, as close to a hug as the awkward position in bed and their clothes could allow.

"We can take care of each other, don't worry..." Alexandra tried to calm Evelyn, to warm her with a squeezing hug, but it seemed that the woman had been hit hard by her nightmares. What could she say as that woman, that friend shared her past with her? The words she uttered still echoed in her mind, and her talk of unbefitting things, of survival, only served to rekindle those thoughts. Should Alexandra share what she had heard? It seemed like a breach of their trust, and they were just nonsensical nightmares. It didn't matter how much she had dreamed about a monster stealing her eyes last night, that didn't make it any more real than what chased Evelyn, right? Alexandra tried to comfort Evelyn with her presence while she talked about dim lights and breakfast.

"Whatever you had to do is not who you are" Alexandra finally broke the silence, even if Evelyn had changed topics. "It's not" she insisted, unaware of Evelyn's history but deciding that it couldn't be so bad. As if her mere words could change what it happened, a childish wish of a young girl that wanted her friend to feel better, to feel safe. "Lets hide from all the bad things a bit more, breakfast can wait, I'm not that hungry" she announced, although it was a matter of time that her stomach betrayed her once more with a telltale growl. "I may be just a blind girl... but this is Ravenwood and I'm still Lady Ravenwood" she said serious, looking almost regal for a girl with bed hair in a nightie. "The only thing that can threaten us here are nightmares, as anyone else will know that my great grandfather's blood is still here" she finished. For a moment a chilling ice shone in her blind eyes, the fleeting mention of her cruel great grandfather and the Ravenwood of old making her look almost different.

It was just a fleeting moment, perhaps the dim light, as her expression soon softened to Alexandra's usual doll-like face. It was true that the Ravenwood manor had a small detachment of half a dozen guards around the house, taking turns and such, Alexandra could arm up her townsfolk if she deemed so. Nor that the thought ever crossed her mind, but feeling Evelyn sad and scared made her blood boil a little bit.

Evelyn sighed, comfortably digging herself back under the covers and nuzzling gently against Alexandra as more rest was declared, lifting her eyes, smiling warmly when she added that they could take care of eachother. It was a nice thought but it only expanded her feelings of inadequacy. Why was a sickly blind girl even needing to offer her help and support? Alexandra shouldn't have to worry about some whore who can't go the night without wailing. "I..." She didn't know what to say to her kind words. Once the girl insisted what ever she had to do wasn't who she was, Evelyn relented, taking her hand under the covers and squeezing gently. "Thank you." But if Lady Ravenwood knew the truth, would she be as supportive? Or would she shrink away in disgust when she realized she willingly shared her bed with a filthy whore.

"Hide from the bad things?" she let out a soft giggle. "Well that sounds simply wonderful. "Admittedly, I feel safe here and It's because of you, thank you." Evelyn watched Alexandra in the dimlight cast through the window, noting the flash of icyness as she mentioned her grandfather. She wondered if her family line had a frightening reputation due to the girls wording. Unfortunately, she didn't have much knowledge of the family. It was possible she heard the name in passing before the rumors about the sickly girl started, but it wasn't common for a whore to be familiar with the histories of noble families, She was typically only familiar with the lords unfaithful to their wives. Regardless she appreciated the protective nature Evelyn was displaying and pulled her in for a half hug while they layed under the covers.

"Nightmares are sometimes enough, as you probably know as well, but thank you Evelyn, you're sweet." A soft sigh exhaled her lips, her eyes adjusting to the low light now as she adjusted to wakefulness.

"You say you're not hungry but your stomach says differently." She teased, happy to finally change the subject. "Even if we relax here for a little longer, what should I request to be prepared for breakfast for you, something light? or do your cooks already have that ready for you in the morning-I uhm, I'm sure it's different everywhere." She added, realizing how clueless she may have sounded regarding the inner workings of a noble house. "Also are there any duties required of you on a regular basis that you must attend to today? If so we should see to them while energy is high, so that way we have the remainder of the day for more fun activities...like practicing the piano? I can sing notes for you and you can feel out the different keys and sounds to match the note I'm making. May not be much, but it could help you get a feel of it before delving into trying to play something complicated."

Planning the day out with the girl while within the comfort of her bed was...nice. Not just warm and safe, but it reminded her of the rare occasion where she serviced a female patron. The experience was wholly different from servicing a man and significantly more enjoyable. It wasn't rough or violent or fast, it was slow, sensual, soft, and safe. The comparison made her blush at once, which thankfully Alexandra could not see.

Alexandra couldn't of course measure the situation with her sight, but the increasingly positive tone of Evelyn's voice and her brief giggles, her touch, her hugs... all of that spoke to her clearly. It wasn't something that a few words shared on a bed would suffice, it was something that would take time if nothing else, but at least it seemed that they could keep at bay the darkness that hounded each other's mind. "Yes, I know that nightmares are enough..." Alexandra joined in the sigh, but it turned into a small mewling yawn that brought a couple of small tears to her eyes. Her blue gems may be deprived of sight, but they seemed to otherwise work normally, being not only active but also expressive.

It didn't take long for her stomach to betray her, almost giving her no time to talk before a telltale groan allowed Evelyn to tease her. "Another unladylike moment..." she sighed, hiding her face against Evelyn, allowing the faint blush to pass before raising it again. It wasn't as she took that moment seriously, not when alone with Evelyn at least, but her education still weighted on her. It may have been done inadvertently along the first day, but then Alexandra realized how many tenets of her station was she ready to discard with her sickness, her need of help as an excuse. Perhaps Evelyn was having a greater influence on her than she thought, but if so, she found out she didn't mind it. With her parents there things would be different, but without them she was somewhat surprised at the ease she had been making choices herself.

"So weird..." a short, somewhat dry laugh escaped her lips. "I'm finding myself with more freedom than ever, at least from yesterday" she added. It was true that she had been a prisoner of her own sickness, trapped on her own bed, but since Evelyn had come she had found herself free of her limits, both the ones caused by her sickness and also a few product of her upbringing. But now that she was in charge and free to do as she wished, she had also to be responsible for her actions, something that was a bit dizzying for the young, sheltered girl.

"I haven't been eating much as of late" Alexandra returned to the topic at hand, as she had been both sick and exhausted, but also sad, angry and acting wild, disregarding her own well being. "So there isn't a schedule yet, we should set something up" she added. "No, no duties today" Alexandra shook her head. "Well, there are things that could be done, but not today. I want to see if I can hold a whole day of activities as normal" she added. The day before she had been fine, but exhaustion had caught her unaware, and that even considering that her day out of bed didn't start at the morning like the present day. "If things go fine, then we can act accordingly from now on" she said, taking pause. "And if they don't... well, we'll have to do plans for that too" Alexandra's voice got low, afraid of her own health, of how many people would she fail if she wasn't up to the task.

"We could get breakfast in bed, but I think it's better if we get dressed and move" Alexandra commented. "Or the idea of seeing if I can endure a whole day will be moot-" she added, instantly stopping silent, her doll like face growing red. "And thinking about it I don't want Martha to catch us like this" she said, sounding embarrassed. "She has been here before I was born, so she tends to treat me as a small child and I don't want to give her more reasons to do so" Alexandra finally explained the source of her shame. "I can almost hear her chastising me for being old enough to sleep alone and so on..." she said, her blush going away as she giggled at the idea.

"Can you pick a dress for me?" Alexandra asked. "Oh, and if you find your wardrobe limited just tell me and we can sort things out one of these days" she added, sounding a bit child-like. It wasn't like she was thinking of treating Evelyn like a doll and play dress up, as she had never been specially interested in that kind of play even when younger. But she wanted her to feel nice at home, and even if Alexandra couldn't see it, wearing a nice dress made her feel better.

"I've had plenty of un-ladylike moments, I wouldn't worry too much about a stomach growl." She laughed softly, uttering a sigh of contentment as she nestled more comfortably within the bed. Safe "I'm glad you're feeling free. It's unfortunate that your illness has made you a prisoner in your own home, your own bedchambers even. We're going to change that, that's what I'm here for after all! Remember though, if you ever feel tired, weak or sick that you need to retire-no matter how early, even if it's still morning, please don't hesitate to say so. Knowing your limits is important, and I have no problem keeping you company even if you become too tired to talk." She leaned over, kissing Alexandra upon the forehead gently, only to freeze in alarm. She had become so caught up in their growing closeness that she feared she had now stepped over the line. Her growing comfort and feeling of safety within Alexandra finally pushed too far.

"Ah-yes I agree." She leaned back attempting to play off the affectionate gesture as something casual as she moved to sit up. "Probably best she doesn't see me in your bed. I'm still a stranger to your household and I don't think she likes me to begin with." Slowly, as Evelyn worked to shrug off her morning stupour, she slipped out of the bed. "Something pretty or plain and casual?" She asked as she stood up, referring to the kind of dress she'd pick out for her. "I'll help you get dressed, then I will go off and do the same and fetch breakfast and bring it back here, how about that? Will you be fine for a little while? Can always put off getting you dressed till after breakfast if you'd rather lay in bed comfortably while I change and fetch us something to eat." She said, practically thinking aloud as she ran the ideas through her mind.

"I'm a bit bigger than you, I'm not sure anything you have would fit me-not that I don't appreciate the offer mind you." She sighed, her arms outstretched as she yawned, her back cracking with a satisfying pop. "Ah~ there. I could have just layed in bed with you all day." She giggled. "Alas, responsibility beckons, as does hunger. You just relax here dear, I'll try not to be too long." She bent down picking up the bell which had nearly rolled under the bed, now that the room was awash in a dim light. She placed the bell back on the bedside drawer. "Just give a ring if you need anything before I make it back."

With that she stepped out of the room, peeking down each direction of the hall before darting into the chambers now designated as her own, relieved no one saw that she had not left Alexandra's room, atleast not that she knew of. It's not that big of a deal, it's your job to take care of her, if asked, just say you were worried about her so you stayed and watched over her through the night. Basically truth.

Grumbling somewhat, Evelyn began to sift through her belongings or lack thereof, deciding she'd have to remain in yesterdays dress for now until she figured something else out. Opting to dab a little rose scented perfume on her neck instead, and giving her blonde hair a quick brush before heading out to find the kitchens.

Nearly an hour passed before Evelyn returned to Alexandra's chambers carrying a large tray containing tea, eggs, fried tomatoes, ham and fresh warm pastries. Quickly bringing it around to the side of the bed. "Sorry-sorry! Look longer than I thought, plus Martha kept giving me an angry eye while I waited for the food, I'm not sure if she thinks I'm doing a poor job, if she knows I stayed with you last night, or if I simply looked unkempt, which admittedly I am, but anyways, I hope your appetite has grown."

Despite the surprising kiss on her forehead, Alexandra pushed it to the background of her mind, bringing out Martha and her nagging if she made her bring the breakfast there, something that Evelyn seemed to agree with. "You are right, lets leave the dressing for after the breakfast" Alexandra commented, "we can eat here and then sort things out" she said, trying to keep pace with the woman's ideas as she voiced them. Her mind was sure racing even if they have barely woken up and still hiding in bed, but so was Alexandra's, even if her less forward presence made her be silent most of the time.

"I didn't mean like you should wear mine..." Alexandra giggled, trying to imagine the idea, although it was hard without knowing exactly how Evelyn looked. "And Martha would look at you worse if you borrowed some of my mother, although those probably won't fit you either..." she realized, given that even if they could be of similar height, Alexandra's mother was a more rotund woman, and Evelyn would have trouble filling them. "I mean making you new ones, although that discussion can wait" she said, noticing that Evelyn wanted to fulfill her breakfast providing duty as soon as possible. "Oh, yes, the bell" she nodded, not even remembering dropping it during her nightly terror.

As she heard Evelyn abandon her room, Alexandra sighed, somewhat startled. Her right hand reached for her forehead, brushing the spot where Evelyn kissed her. What was that? Why did it feel so odd? It wasn't like Alexandra didn't like it, as she was craving for affection more than she even suspected. Thinking of it, she would have expected to feel like one of the kisses her mother landed on her forehead often, since the woman of more humble origin was quite affectionate. But it wasn't motherly. It had felt caring for sure, lovely and tender, but even if the gesture had made Alexandra feel safe and loved as the ones from her mother did, Evelyn's had made her feel something else. Something good, even if unknown.

Chalking it to her state of vulnerability and having just woken up, Alexandra discarded her thoughts and rested on the bed. Soon enough she heard Evelyn head downstairs from the room in front of hers to the kitchen, hoping she didn't have trouble finding it, and just waited there content. At least for a while. Unaware of how much time passed, Alexandra started to grow restless. She wasn't sleepy nor tired, more bored than hungry, but there was little she could do in her room. At first she just ventured out of her bed, stretching like a lazy cat and walking a bit around, occasionally stumbling into things although she moved with such care that she didn't injure herself. Her legs and the rest of her body seemed to be doing better, so perhaps she wouldn't have to take Evelyn's advice to heart and indulge in some early retreat to her room later on.

Where was that woman? Even if she got lost around the house she would sooner than later stumble upon a servant that would guide her. Alexandra's bratty self started to get the best of her the more bored she grew waiting. Not being quite able to go outside by herself yet was frustrating, and that caused her to hasten her pace, stubbing her toe against the bed. "Ow! Ow, ow, ow..." she whined, more angry with her limitations than injured, as the bumping had been more embarrassing than painful. Evelyn knew that she couldn't do much without her, what was taking her so long?

No, she didn't need her for everything, even if blind she wasn't a defenseless toddler. Maybe she could even dress herself, right? She should be able to recognize her own clothes by touch and that way show Evelyn once she came back that she could fend for herself. Yes, that was a good idea. Finding her way to her clothes, Alexandra fumbled with them, finding the task harder than her disgruntled mind thought it would be. Getting rid of her nightwear she started rummaging through clothes while naked, her own frustration clouding her mind and making the task harder. Unaware of the mess she was making, Evelyn's noisy comeback startled her, making Alexandra slip on the mountain of discarded outfits she was almost swimming on, falling on top of them and covering herself with the couple she was handling, ending up buried in a pile of fabric.

"Maybe just start with tea and--" She paused, glancing up to realize the bed was empty. "A-Alexandra?" Her voice slightly shrill in alarm as she left the breakfast tray alone upon the corner of the bed, standing upright the scan the room. Had she rung the bell and another servant fetched her? She didn't try to wander off on her own did she? Evelyns mind started to wonder anxiously. Just as she was about to turn around and exit the room she thought she had heard a floomph within the large wardrobe, prompting her to quickly rush in to find a vast pile of luxuriously lavish silks and gowns, twitching slightly as the sickly blind girl writhed underneathe. "Alexandra!" She called out almost started at the sight, jumping into the fray, tossing closes in every which direction to unveil her, before breaking into soft, cheerful laughter, something that felt very good to do after the night she had.

"Silly! What were you doing, you could have waited!" She paused realizing she took way too long and sighed as the guilt rose within. "I'm sorry, my fault, you got restless didn't you? The last thing she wanted to do was make the girl feel inept or embarrassed for what had happened. She could only imagine how frustrating it must be to have such trouble performing basic tasks like dressing yourself in the morning. Quickly cutting herself off from saying anything more that may further Alexandra's embarrassment, Evelyn hopped into the sea of soft clothes along side her. "It's just as fun as it looks." She beamed over to her, hoping to keep her spirits up. The girl looked so unbearably cute half buried in dresses within the dark space, she wanted to just hold her and never let go.

"I'm sorry." She apologized again, more solemnly this time as she leaned against her, their heads touching gently. "I should have checked on you after I requested breakfast, I wasn't thinking, it won't happen again." She sighed, hoping Alexandra wasn't cross with her. "I'll tell you what, let's get out of this pile of clothes, food and tea will be getting cold, and to make it up to you...you can ask anything you like, about me, and I'll answer truthfully." There was mild hesitation. "I know there's a lot about me I haven't shared, but it's only fair, for leaving you in the dark like this." Evelyn leaned in and hugged her, before extending a hand to help her up.

"Mphh!" Alexandra's muffled voice came out from the bunch of clothes, sounding urgent. It was partly a cry for help, but also a shout for Evelyn to stay away. Inadequacy and embarrassment fought with her vulnerability and fear, but since her protests were unintelligible she was left in the middle, just laying defenseless in that fabric ocean as Evelyn peeled layers from that self made entrapment. For once hearing Evelyn laugh didn't sound like music to her, but mockery, as she rested on her own wardrobe. "I waited!" she yelled, angry, trying to dig herself out of that self made embarrassing cradle to no avail.

"It's no fun..." she pouted, her determination wavering, her anger slowly dying down as Evelyn apologized over and over again. As she felt Evelyn's head touch her own, she grabbed unto her, arms trying to pull her out of that mess, instead bringing Evelyn into both that chaos and a tight hug. Surrounded by clothes the naked girl didn't get too cold, at least yet, but Evelyn's warmth was welcome in that wardrobe nest she was in. Hiding her face against Evelyn's bosom, Alexandra sobbed softly. "I feel so stupid, so useless..." she whined, frustrated by her own acts and the inability to accept her condition. "I can't even... I can't-" she kept protesting, even if she didn't know what to protest about, when her stomach betrayed her at the mention of food and tea.

A brief silence only broke by the low rustling of fabrics was cut short by a snort and a small, choking laugh. "Hahaha... I deserve that" Alexandra laughed a bit about herself, her tears going from frustration to relief. It was stupid, to get so angry and worked up about things she couldn't control. "Will you? Any question?" Alexandra raised her head, her milky blue eyes shining wet, open wide at the sudden confession. It was somewhat odd that the servant admitted to not being fully open with her employer while considering divulging truth as a favor, but Alexandra didn't even think of it, as she wanted a friend on Evelyn more than an employee.

"I don't know what to ask... yet, but will do so before the day ends, or will lose my chance to" Alexandra nodded, trying to have some degree of control in that embarrassing situation even if it was flimsy. "Now please dig me out of my own mishap and put something on me before I get cold" she fidgeted in her nakedness, ready to be helped with a bit of clothing and walked to her breakfast in that bumpy morning.

Alexandra turned out to be more upset than she expected prompting Evelyn to realize, despite their ever growing bond, she was still this girls lesser; a servant. The revelation made her feel slightly queasy. After all she lied to get here, lies upon lies, and she continued to tease the girl with truths about her miserable past unaware of how unprofessional it was or how appalled the Ravenwoods would be if they saw this sort of behavior. "I know it's no fun." She sighed empathetically. "you're not stupid, nor are you useless. The gods have been unfair to you, you're a sweet girl who has been treated unfairly by the fates, but it doesn't change how wonderful you are, or how sorry I am for leaving you alone for so long. I'm also sorry for laughing" She added quickly while lifting the naked girl up to her feet.

"Yes ofcourse. I owe you that much, I mean I shouldn't be so secretive but it's just difficult and I'd hate for you to think less of me."

Quickly, she reached out, snatching up a lavishly magenta gown, with long golden lace sleeves. "Here, this one is gorgeous and it was on top of the pile." She said gleefully. "Bright magenta, gold sleeves, absolutely stunning." She described for Alexandra's benefit, pulling the girl close to assist in slipping it on, gingerly prompting her to raise her arms before the gown went on over her head. As before her touch was gentle and affectionate, finishing with a light hug. "All done, you're stunning, truely. I can brush your hair after breakfast, mine needs a brush too admittedly."

She guided the girl around the pile of clothes which she swore to clean up later, helping her back into the bed before pulling the tray closer. "It's probably a little cold now, but there's fresh pastries, I know you like them, and tea" she lifted a cup toward her once she was suitably propped up and comfortable.

"Your chance to ask a question won't go away at the end of the day" she giggled "Anything you ask I'll be honest with you, I promise, any time, now how's the tea--" There was a sudden knock on the door. Evelyns first thought was Martha and her stomach lurched, the room was a bit of a mess, but atleast they weren't laying in the same bed any longer. "Hrm.." She got up, patting the girl on the thigh gently signaling her to sit tight. "Yes?" She opened the door a smidge to find a man, a servant she hadn't yet been acquainted with. "Letter for Lady Ravenwood, typically all letters are brought to the Ravenwoods study, but Martha insisted they be brought to you now as you'll be charged with assisting in the Lady's affairs."

"A--ah yes, thank you" She gave a clumsy bow after accepting the letter, before hastily closing the door. She knew it was silly to hope that Alexandra hadn't heard the conversation, the last thing she wanted was to be asked to read the contents of the letter. In a bid of desperation, she lifted it to her face and saw no letters or words but a blue wax seal upon the back of the envelope. Garland!? She uttered the name in surprise, not needing the ability to read to recognize his symbol. Evelyn's color drained from her face, her stomach flipped and flopped as she dragged her feet back to the bed. What did she say? Did she make something up. Whatever it said inside couldn't be good. What could he want with sweet and innocent Alexandra? She'd kill him before letting him touch her.

Evelyn remained unusually quiet after the exchange with the other servant and exclamation of a single name before inquiring meekly. "Have you ever heard of the name Lord Garland before, Alexandra?"

Alexandra let Evelyn dress her, feeling like everything she could say only made things worse. Once again her own inadequacy and inability to adapt to the situation had caused distress to both of them, her petite form feeling a bit limp as Evelyn dressed her. "I'm sorry too" she finally spoke. "I should be better than this, I can't keep saying that I'm no little baby and then behave like one" she admitted. "Luckily these moments remain between us, I trust you" she said, hugging her once the dressing was done. "So does magenta suit me? Thanks" she nodded after breaking the hug, always happy to be complimented by her.

"Can I try to brush your hair?" Alexandra asked. "It's not something I'd need my eyes to do, maybe with a little help..." she added, wanting Evelyn to agree but not pushing her too much. It was somewhat awkward. Alexandra wanted Evelyn to be her friend, her confident, but at the same time the fact that she served her couldn't be ignored, so her position of privilege gave her a bit of trouble. She wanted to think that everything nice Evelyn said and did was honest, as it did sound so, but how could she be sure? No, she had no reason to not trust her, she was just being silly.

"Oh nice, pastries and tea" Alexandra followed Evelyn, eager to both silence her hunger and distract her mind from ill conceived thoughts. "The tea should still be a bit warm-" she commented, waiting for Evelyn to help her with it, when the door knocked. It was warmly comforting to feel that gentle tap on her thigh as Evelyn went to take care of the door. Maybe Martha with some excuse to check on them? By the sound of the voice it could be Peter, one of the few male servants of the manor now that his father had taken a couple of the ones that served him in his trip. She couldn't be sure with the distance and the seemingly barely open door, but it was probably him. He was generally tasked with the proper maintenance of the building, so he could be easily seen all around the place, normally bossed by Martha as she saw fit.

"At least we were decent, or it would have been embarrassing" Alexandra giggled a bit, although she received no answer from Evelyn, who seemed to take a bit longer to come back to the bed than she had taken to open the door. "Evelyn?" she wondered when she uttered a name, receiving another question for an answer. "Lord Garland... Lord Garland..." she frowned. "I must confess that I'm not very good remembering faces and titles, something that pained her mother that had a really good eye for that. Now things were going to get only more difficult in that regard, although at least now she had an excuse beyond lack of interest. "Not really, maybe from a bordering territory?" she wondered.

"Whoever Lord Garland is, he can wait, or do you know him?" Alexandra asked, figuring that his name would be on the letter. "I mean, the tea isn't getting warmer and we both need to eat something" she said. "I'll need your help with the letter later, but now I need it with the breakfast, unless you want to hear my stomach growl more and more" the girl joked, feeling Evelyn a bit tense and wanting to ease her. The wardrobe situation had been awkward, but Alexandra didn't want it to ruin their day if she could help it, unaware of the real reason for Evelyn to be tense.

Evelyn flinched, at the mention of reading, Snapping out of her stupour to look up from the wax seal crest toward the sickly blind girl in her bed, clearly starving for food, tea and attention. "A--ah sorry, yes, we can deal with it later." She said hastily quickly discarding the letter upon the bedside dresser, moving to sit upon the side of the bed next to Alexandra. "Here, here." She laughed in response to the lady's hunger and impatience. "I'm sorry, that was a distraction we could have done without wasn't it?" She mused, lifting the tea cup and placing it in her hands. "Here you go." She then adjusted the tray so that it sat on small wooden legs, upon the bed, positioned right above her lap. "Food within reaching distance as well!"

She quickly arranged the plates so that a large pastry was closest, within grabbing distance, while the eggs and other breakfast foods were farther away. "There's a pastry close by just for you and if you're hungry for anything other than pastry, since you know that's all I've seen you eat" she teased "Theres fried tomatoes, ham, and eggs, which I can help you with if you would like any." She placed a gentle hand upon the girls shoulder to assure and remind her that she was her aid, and that there was no shame in needing help.

Once she was satisfied Alexandra had everything she needed in the immediate moment her attention and dismay returned to that of the arrival of Lord Garlands letter. "You asked if I knew him; Lord Garland. I do--er--I did." She considered what she would say, if she should feign respect for the sake of politeness or warn the girl who she was becoming very protective of. "He is...an un-kind man, of...deviant desires. " Her mind shifted to that of her nightmare. Surely it was all a coincidence? That she would leave to flee people like Lord garland only to enccounter signs of him here as well, and the morning after dreaming of him no less? "Not that it's my place to say Alexandra but I am sure there are people out there who may see fit to take advantage of someone in your...predicament and position, especially if they see you as a candidate for marriage, a wife whose lands they could claim and then leave them unattended to wither away in a room alone..." She bit her lip to cease it from quivering at the thought. It was exactly the sort of thing a man like Lord Garland would do, after he defiled her ofcourse and acquired children from her. Evelyn shuddered.

"We'll worry about it later, again I'm sorry I shouldn't have an opinion on it one way or another, it's not my place, let's just enjoy the food. When we're gone did you want to take a stroll through the garden or head straight to the piano?"

"Not your fault, letters arrive from time to time" Alexandra shrugged. Perhaps she had been too tough with Evelyn? She seemed nervous, prone to ask forgiveness for every little thing, so her tantrum on the wardrobe had cut deeper than she thought. It wasn't what she wanted, so she hoped that a bit of normalcy would help them move on, or at least what was considered normal for those two. "I like sweets" she said, almost like a little girl that was caught poaching cookies from the kitchen, "but the day is long and I want to see how heartier foods sit with me" Alexandra acknowledged, trying to be responsible. "So if you can help me with those ham, eggs and tomatoes... but a bit of tea first" she said, afraid of making a mess with such selection, picturing juicy tomatoes and jiggly egg yolks.

As she was drinking some tea before tackling the breakfast, Evelyn answered her question about Lord Garland. Her musical and sure voice sounded weary and tired, full of doubts about what to say at every word. Alexandra held herself back to not interrupt, as Evelyn seemed to be opening her heart and the last thing she wanted was to chastise her for that. She soon took pause, being close enough to Alexandra for her to feel something like a shiver, although she had trouble discerning if it was Evelyn being uneasy or herself, taken by what her words evoked about such a man. Once she was done it was clear that Evelyn may regret saying so much, or perhaps just wanted the breakfast to be cheery to begin the day on a good note, although the change of topics was too brusque to not notice.

She knew Lord Garland. But why and how? And how well to talk about him like that? Alexandra reigned her own imagination in, trying to avoid making wild speculation and paused before talking. "No. Never be afraid to talk, please, specially if we are alone" Alexandra said. "So he's someone despicable and of..." she paused, her voice down to a whisper. "Deviant d-desires" voiced, unable to forget the words Evelyn used even if she wanted to. "I won't agree to whatever he wants then, although..." she mused. "Maybe I should burn the letter and be done with it" thought for a second, although it was irresponsible of her, she hated the effect the letter had on Evelyn. "For now leave it in the nightstand, I'll deal with that Lord Garland and his words later" Alexandra postponed the decision.

"Now lets see how the breakfast tastes, you need to eat too" Alexandra tried to smile, although it wasn't easy. "Then maybe a bit of stretching the legs before the piano..." she commented, more eager to fill her belly than think about future plans.

"Y--yes we should burn it!"

Evelyn said a bit hastily before biting her tongue quickly as Alexandra changed her mind. "A--ah yes, right, deal with it later, that makes more sense." She corrected herself, but the damage was done, her eagerness to destroy the letter was clear. "Yes let's focus on breakfast before anything else, that is wise, we're both hungry."

Picking up one of two sets of the silver cutlery she began to cut up the ham into bite-sized pieces, as well as the tomatoes. The egg yolk was the perfect gooey consistency, creamy and runny but not enough to leak all over the plate. "Heres some egg." She said, lifting the fork to Alexandra's lips gently. She continued to lift a tiny bit of the breakfast a bit at a time, a piece of juicy tomato was next, followed by some ham. "How is it? It looks really good." She blushed as Alexandra said that they both needed to eat and so she took her advice, picking up the other fork while Alexandra was chewing and helping herself to some tomato. "Yum!" She said rather excitedly, the musical tone returning slightly "Those tomatoes are wonderful." She had never had them before and it made her feel spoiled even though she was still technically a servant.

While they took turns taking bites, Evelyn took a big gulp of her tea before bringing up the subject of Garland again. "The nightmare I had, the one from this morning. Gar--Er--I mean Lord Garland was in the dream, and the reason I was so frightened.." She trailed off as a thought suddenly occurred to her. What if garland wasn't attempting to take advantage of Alexandra at all, what if he had discovered that his favorite whore had left to be under the employ of the sickly lady? The fact that she couldn't read made the situation all the more dire. Was it a letter revealing the truth of her identity or was it a marriage proposal? Neither was particularly good. Do I lie when she asks me to read it? Do I make something up? But...what does it actually say? She couldn't keep this up, it was only her second day, eventually, she would be expected to perform a lot of reading for Lady Ravenwood. "He was violently obsessed with me, it's part of the reason I sought your parents offer. A chance to start fresh with a new life." She admitted truthfully

"I didn't mean to presume to know better than you, I apologize, obviously if you feel it should be read first, I understand, just know he is a dangerous man who is likely to try and take advantage of your sickly state." She said as she raised a bit more of the gooey, delicious yok to Alexandra's lips. Evelyn felt like she was walking on glass since Alexandra was upset with her this morning, it reminded her that she was still just a servant, no matter how close they became. "There's still more ham." She lifted the teapot to refill both Alexandra's and her own tea. "The pastries are untouched as well, how is your stomach, room for sweets?" She giggled.

Evelyn's eagerness to burn the letter didn't quite startle Alexandra, even if she raised her voice, but it did add to her weird feelings about the whole situation. She didn't want to ask about those deviant desires she mentioned, but she did want to know what was she referring to, what did make Evelyn so uneasy. Alexandra had in that last day considered that woman someone dependable, someone who trust with her troubles and faults. That trust didn't change, but noticing that she was a normal woman with her own troubles caused mixed feelings on Alexandra. It certainly gave Evelyn an honest aura about her, she wasn't just a servant whose relation with her was just professional, as their private lives were now starting to mingle together, boundaries starting to fade. On one hand, Alexandra was glad that she may be able to offer some haven, a bit of a feeling of a safe home. On the other hand, she of course wasn't happy that her friend was suffering.

The breakfast served as a way to rest and step a bit away from trouble, calming both body and soul. "Mmh!" she hummed, the egg being really wonderful, offering a tasty contrast to her sweet tooth of late. "So nice..." she added. It was still a bit embarrassing having to be helped that way, and with time she would have to learn to handle herself, but for the time being the closeness and trust that being fed by Evelyn entailed was a welcome bond between them. As they turned to eat, it seemed that the source of distress wasn't as away of Evelyn's mind as her voice made Alexandra believe, as it was something that would have to be addressed one way or the other. "Almost like a prophetic dream from one of my fairy tales books..." Alexandra mused once Evelyn told her that it was Lord Garland the one in her nightmares.

"I'm very sorry, he must have been awful but he can't touch you here, I promised you that" Alexandra said, firm. "Be it a nightmare or the real deal, Lord Garland can't touch you in Ravenwood" she insisted, once again that steely gleam on her otherwise milky blue eyes. Such conviction seemed out of place in the blind doll-like girl, but there was something in her voice that made it sound believable. "We both are getting new lives it seems, so don't be afraid to depend on me as I depend on you" she said, tilting her head and letting it rest on Evelyn's shoulder. "I may be a young blind girl, but I'm also the daughter of a Baron, so even if there are things that I can't do without you, you certainly can trust me with some others" she said, her cold resolve replaced with a warmer sound of bravery.

"A bit of sweet to finish the breakfast will be fine" Alexandra admitted, only able to stay away from the sweets for so long. They deserved a treat after that unsteady night and strange dawn, that was for sure. "Make sure you eat enough" she said, unable to really garner if Evelyn was properly fed or her mood had diminished her appetite. "You know what? Not reading the letter and missing what he's planning would only put us at a disadvantage" Alexandra decided. "He doesn't know you are here, he can't know" she assured. "So you are my secret weapon, warning me about him beforehand" the girl continued. "But I won't make you read his words. If he caused you such pain the last thing you need is being his herald, give voice to his poisonous lies" she nodded, determined. "Call for Martha, she's one of the servants that knows how to read and she'll read it for us, there is no need to give Lord Garland power over you, no while I'm here" she said, clapping her hands together, happy with her plan.

Alexandra's assurances that Lord Garland couldn't touch her here felt empty as she continued to stare at the letter resting upon the bedside drawer. Seemingly taunting her by its mere presence, not just due to who it was from but due to its message being forever a mystery to her. Evelyn tried to eat what she could but her appetite continued to dwindle as the conversation about Garland resumed, and by the end of breakfast, Alexandra had consumed significantly more than she had.

"Here" She forced her voice into a light hearted tone as she raised the sweet patry to Alexandra's mouth. "Quite the appetite today! that's a good sign." After yesterdays meal Evelyn wondered fearfully if the girls low appetite was a sign of further dwindling health, but today she ate well and despite the depressing topic and night terrors between the both of them, spirits were up. She reached for her tea, the one thing that seemed to soothe the pit in her stomach, sipping as Alexandra insisted she wouldn't make Evelyn read the letter.
"Thank you." She said feeling relieved. "Yes let's just bu--" her words caught in her throat as the girl insisted they summon Martha to read it. "--Oh!--Uh--right." She stammered as a new wave of panic washed over her. What if the letter did say something about Evelyn being a whore? She'd be ruined, especially if Martha saw the truth as she was positive Martha didn't like her. Part of her hoped if she did have to tell the truth to Alexandra eventually, she would maybe understand, but it was still far too early for that. "Sorry, I spilled some tea on myself." She lied, as an excuse to make up for her surprised reaction. "Yes I suppose before we go for our walk we can call Martha in here." She agreed, her voice a bit strained. There is no way he could no you are here, None....right?

Once satisfied that they were done with breakfast, she moved the tray onto one of the bedside dressers, patting Alexandra's lap gently in an affectionate manner. "That was good, got your fill? I suppose I'll call Martha in to pick up the tray. She can read the letter while she's here." Reaching over for the bell, giving it one hard ring, before picking up the lette rin her other hand and heading for the door to see if Martha heard. "One moment I'll see if she's nearby." Upon pulling the door open Evelyn gave a slight gasp of surprise as Martha was standing on the otherside, looking as if she was about to come in. "Martha! yes, er--We have our dishes here, but first Lady Ravenwood has uhm, a request." She held out Lord Garlands letter, looking a little sheepish, afraid to explain the reason why she wasn't the one reading the letter.

"This letter is ah--uhm." She turned from Martha looking toward the blind girl in bed desperate for some sort of interference. "Alexandra, do you think you could explain." Her voice even more strained then before.

"I love ending a meal with sweets..." Alexandra said, enjoying herself. "Well, or beginning it, or just eating sweets..." she admitted, joking a bit about herself, even if it seemed that the mood would be weird for a while. "Ah, I hope it doesn't stain too much..." Alexandra commented, more worried about Evelyn's distress that had seemingly lead her to spill some tea than the stain itself. After all, she had already proposed to her the notion of getting more clothes so that wasn't an issue. Once they were done with the breakfast, Evelyn called for Martha and got up to search for her, oddly eager to put an end to the letter issue even if she wanted to burn it. Alexandra didn't know what the letter would say, but she had to know in case Lord Garland had plans for her, better safe than sorry.

"Yes, my lady?" Martha said, in her usual firm yet gentle tone, seemingly unfazed by Evelyn's distress. It was her who tried to explain to Martha what the request was about, but in the end she seemed to decide for Alexandra to tell Martha herself. The noble girl of course noticed the distress on Evelyn's voice, and even if she had called her Lady Ravenwood before, the nerves had made Evelyn address her directly as Alexandra, causing a noticeable frown on Martha's brow. Alexandra didn't mind it, but she was worried about Evelyn's state of mind and she didn't want Martha to cause her more trouble schooling her about manners, so she soon started to talk.

"As you are aware a letter arrived, and I've been informed by Lady Rosewind that the one penning it is quite the unsavory character and an old acquaintance of her" Alexandra talked, habit and practice allowing her to sound perfectly formal and ladylike even if seconds ago she was making jokes and stuffing her mouth. "Not being able to do so myself and not wanting to burden Lady Rosewind with being the voice of such a man, I thought that you could be the one reading it for us, since destroying it seemed unwise and improper" Alexandra finished. She couldn't read Martha's expression of course, but Alexandra could bet that she would look somewhat confused and amused, even if it was for a split second. After all the situation was highly unusual, but the veteran servant would probably like being seen as not only serviceable, but also tough enough to endure voicing the words of Lord Garland, a shady character as Evelyn told.

Evelyn returned to Lady Ravenwoods bedside as Martha took the letter, for no reason other than that she felt safer closer to the girl and farther away from Martha and that dreaded letter. She flinched as Alexandra voiced that destroying the letter was unwise and improper but said nothing, biting her tongue as she watched the sickly blind girl speak for what could be the last time depending on the contents of that letter. Martha's attention seemed for the most part directed toward Alexandra but on occasion, her gaze would shift toward her, her brow quirked in what could only be an expression of bemusement. Feeling worried that this would make the woman think even less of her, she started to speak, when Martha interjected in a clear, confident voice.

"Ofcourse, My lady." She spoke with an air of pride, looking rather pleased with being asked to do something of slightly more importance than tending to the house. As Martha tore away at Garlands wax seal, she shot Evelyn another glance, Surprisingly she looked to be enjoying herself in the moment, there was no disappointment in her eyes, merely confusion and deep curiosity on what all this could be about. Soon the letter was in her hands, held closer to her face as she drew a breath to begin speaking aloud. Evelyn too drew a breath, but held it as she prepared herself for whatever misery awaited her.

"Ahem, the letter reads as follows;

Dear Lady Ravenwood

It has come to my attention that you are blossoming into a young lady and soon the responsibilities of your parents will fall on to you, just as it fell onto them as such is the way of our world. I imagine it won't be long until you, yourself are reigning Baroness of these lands, as it has come to my attention you have recently been undertaking more responsibilities with the Baron and Baroness away. Admittedly, I am quite the admirer of your family history, your name and bloodline is strong, you know how people work, their needs, their desires, and their fears. Fear is a wondrous thing that I believe is not explored near enough in these present days.

Forgive me, I know flattery gets me know where.It is my understanding that you are ill and I send my deepest prayers to each and every god that you may overcome such a dreadful state.

In truth I didn't just send this letter for encouragement and flattery, ashamed to say my motives are of a rather selfish nature. I am currently looking for a wife, a strong wife to be at my side. Uniting your house with mine would make us a force to fear to be certain, and our rise to power within the kings court would be a certainty. As said previously, I have heard you are blossoming into a beautiful young woman and I believe you would make a wonderful wife. Your ailments do not concern me, infact I have the finest alchemist in the land under my employ, through me I can ensure you a healthy and long lasting life, one where you will be able to see again, where we can look into eachothers eyes and glimpse the love and passion for eachother and our land as we set our ambitions higher.

This letter is merely a common courtesy, as I fear any servant you have reading my words will be unable to do them justice since your sickness has robbed you of the ability to view my written words personally. I will be arriving at your estate within the fortnight, then it is my hope we can speak face to face and you will accept my proposal for marriage.

Signed,

The indomitable Threnn Garland,
Lord of Twin Waters, and the Everpeaks
"

Evelyn had gone pale long before Martha finished reading the letter, but by the time it was finished, she was beginning to look nearly as sickly as Alexandra did on a poor day. "H--he can't be trusted, Alexandra, gods and goddesses he's coming here. Alexandra, you have to-"

"Lady Rosewind, please watch your tongue and your manners, you will refer to our lady as Lady Ravenwood

"A--ah! Yes, s--sorr--er--my apologies!" She said hastily, her voice pained clearly in a state of panic.

There was no sense in speaking her mind while Martha was still in the room, she would have to wait until they were alone, or walking the grounds. Garlands letter was full of promises that would be enticing to anyone in Alexandra's predicament, but she hoped they had built up enough trust. She had seen Garlands true nature, seen the way he was with women, the way he viewed women, she was going to make sure Garland did not get his way. even his constant mentioning of fear within the letter was peculiar. It was certainly something Garland was obsessed with, but why bring it up to Alexandra? it seemed like an odd choice.

Gently she placed a hand upon Alexandra's shoulder. "What are your thoughts...Lady Ravenwood She looked away from Martha toward the bedridden girl, afraid to meet her gaze.

Alexandra's fingers danced for a moment as her hands rested on her laps, feeling Evelyn return to her side made her want to hold her hand, to hug her, to offer some kind of support while Martha read the letter, but it would be inappropriate to do so. Closed tight and slightly tense, awaiting to hear what the letter said yet dreading to know what Lord Garland could have in mind after Evelyn talked about him like that. How well informed was he of her parents departure and the undertaking of new responsibilities was a bit unnerving, not to mention how he talked about fear. Even in Martha's womanly but stern voice, hearing a stranger about how the Ravenwoods were supposed to be, and how he admired precisely the path that her father and grandfather abandoned was sickening, causing Alexandra to be even more disgusted at the man.

If he knew that much, it was no surprise he was informed of her illness, as it wasn't precisely a secret, but it was the next paragraph the one that caused deep turmoil in her. Lord Garland was indeed looking for a wife, once again talking about power and fear, and even if his sentiments were filtered by knowing that Alexandra wouldn't be able to read the letter by herself, how he talked about her blossoming made Evelyn's words about 'deviant desires' echo in her mind, unable to stop a small shiver. That barely seen tremble was nothing compared to what came next. Even if her education guided her to be silent while the letter was being read and do not make any remarks of interrupt Martha, Alexandra couldn't completely stifle a gasp when she heard about the alchemist on his service and how he would return her sight, no doubt.

It had to be a lie.
It couldn't be true.
Evelyn warned her.
No, it was a lie.
But what if...

Alexandra's trepidation and her doubts made her barely aware of how the letter ended, Martha's voice sounding distant and empty. The girl had no way of knowing it, but her eyes looked emptier than ever, lost in the infinite distance of the darkness they had been cursed to. Perhaps there was still hope for her? There was still a way to be able to pierce that eternal night cast over her eyes? A faint sound, a nervous chime, Evelyn's voice broke Alexandra from her reverie, out of the shadows. "Hmm?" was all she managed to say, distracted, becoming completely aware of where she was and what was going on as Martha chastised Evelyn for her manners, the panic on her caretaker's voice stabbing her chest like needles.

"Ah..." Alexandra doubted, now feeling the pressure of being the one at charge, and with such a matter as well, one that encompassed both the Barony but also herself at a personal level. "Leave the letter on the nightstand, Martha. Thanks for the service, that will be all for now. We'll address the preparations for Lord Garland's arrival later in the afternoon" she ordered, trying to sound as composed as possible, even if her mind was running in circles.

Once Evelyn and her were alone, Alexandra threw herself in the woman's arms, both offering and seeking support. "He sounds every bit as horrible a man as you told me" the girl acknowledged, her face buried in the woman's warmth. "I'm sorry for having to hear it, for Martha scolding you..." she added, worried for her. "I'm not going to accept. I can't accept. Even if..." her voice faltered, releasing Evelyn and hiding her face in her hands.

Evelyn's gaze remained downcast as Martha approached them to place the letter upon the bedside drawer. She could feel Martha's own gaze upon her, most likely wondering what her connection to this lord was. Would Martha's curiosity grow? Was there enough animosity that it could make her a threat? What if, regardless of the kind of welcome Alexandra offered Garland, Martha spoke to him about her? What if she told him about the new caretaker of whom had crossed paths with him before? Her blood ran cold at the thought. There was still time, time for her to get on Martha's good side and plenty of time to air her concerns to Alexandra, but one thing was becoming certain, her secret would not be a secret forever but if she told Alexandra now, that could the end of her possible new life here, and yet if she waited too long the girl may feel betrayed by the lie.

Once the door had closed and Martha was gone, Evelyn jumped in shock as the girl leaned in, throwing her arms around her. It had already been too much to bear, but once Alexandra fell against her, she collapsed with the weight upon the bed, sobbing uncontrollably into Alexandra's shoulder. She had tried to be strong, she was supposed to be the girls caretaker after all, not the cobbing mess currently in the room with her, but it had been too overwhelming. Just when she thought she was safe, there he was again, her past shadowing her around each and every corner. She was playing at a fantasy if she thought she could maintain this lie, after all, it was only the beginning of the second day and she was already faced with obstacles due to her low birth, and she thought she could pull this off long term!?

She continued to sob into Alexandra's neck, her arms now wrapped tightly around her as her tears fell onto the girls skin and dress. "A--Ah..." She could barely draw breath even when she tried to speak, it was like some unknown spectral force had ripped it from her lungs. "ngh s--s--sorry..." She mumbled pathetically between sobs, realizing how terrible this must have seemed. Although Alexandra's words prior to her breakdown regarding refusing to accept the proposal and her observation and agreement to the man being horrible were comforting. "H--he's a monster..I--I can't be here if he... if he finds out I--" She broke into sobs once more, her body tensing as she attempted to will herself to speak, but it was like he had been in the room. It may had been Martha reading the letter, but they were still his words.

"S--sorry." She said again with a light sniffle but did not let go. Strangely, the sickly blind girl was the only person in the world that offered some sense of support and safety to her now. "Hearing his words again was...ugh too much. It's not my place to tell you whose hand you should take in marriage b--but he--" Her voice caught as if once more she was about to break but she pulled herself from the brink "In my time with him, I never heard any tell of an Alchemist, he's lying, he has to be, it's his way to get you under his thumb, he promises things. he loves control he just has to control everything. Like when he tried to make me his mistress, he knew it would be a tempting offer, but I would be powerless and vulnerable with not a single protection left on my side." Amidst her manic breakdown, it didn't even occur to her that she had slipped up. Her lack of experience with the higher class made it impossible for her to catch that it would be strange and unlikely for a highborne Lady to become a mistress of a lord, more and more Evelyns complicated past was conflicting with the status that she claimed and the cracks were showing.

She sniffled again and sighed, still remaining in the embrace, appreciating the secure safe sensation the hug offered. "If the Alchemist was real i'd never insist you refuse the chance at a cure, but know that dealing with Ga--Lord Garland, is like dealing with a demon."

Her dark world tumbled as they fell into the bed, with Alexandra concerned about hiding her doubts, she didn't realize how bad Evelyn felt, finally aware as the woman kept her close, hugging her. "E-Evelyn?" Alexandra whispered, hearing nothing but the ruffling of their dresses and Evelyn's restrained breath. Suddenly the woman was sobbing over her shoulder, and it wasn't long before Alexandra could feel Evelyn's tears drop on her skin, frozen in that embrace, not knowing what to do. Alexandra had always been the one that was taken care of, the one that was consoled and hugged when she was angry or sad, and that didn't chance since Evelyn came until that moment. She had talked big about how she could protect her, how she could defend her, but now that the woman was crying and holding her tight she just couldn't react, she didn't know what to do, what to say.

With a hurting heart and wet eyes, Alexandra finally returned the embrace, physically expressing what her words couldn't manage. Lying there on the bed their bodies and dresses tangled, she was sure that they made a sorry view, but she didn't care. "Shh... it's fine... it's fine..." Alexandra muttered, her own voice broken as she felt Evelyn tense and tremble in her arms, caressing her hair to the best of her abilities, trying to calm her down, to offer her a welcoming embrace where she could express without fear, where she could find some relief. "I shouldn't have made Martha read it before you... it's my fault..." she said, feeling bad for Evelyn, trying to shoulder as much of her pain as she could.

Slowly, the sobs became sniffles, and the crying mumbling formed into words, with Evelyn saying she was sorry once more. She was managing to talk again, even if she interrupted herself and had trouble steadying her voice, still hugging Alexandra close. "I know, I know, it can't be true, there is no way..." Alexandra nodded, trying to convince herself with Evelyn's words, managing to find strength in the woman's conviction of it being a ruse. Of course there was no cure for what she had, if that could happen her parents would be aware of such a thing. Alexandra exiled the idea from her mind, at least for the time being, unaware that hope was a double edged sword, and Garland's words had taken root deeper than she had thought.

"I'll manage, we'll manage" Alexandra kept talking, her hands finding Evelyn's face in that awkward hug. "We are better than him, thanks to you he can't fool me..." she continued, caressing Evelyn's face and cleaning the tears her cheeks with her thumbs as she found them wet. The process was clumsy and more intimate than she should allow herself to partake in, but given the situation they were in, Alexandra didn't even think of it twice. The one that embraced her was a friend in need, and that was all she needed to know. "And thanks to me he can't touch you." she completed her sentence, making sure that Evelyn understood that as long they were together, Garland couldn't do them any harm.

"I wasn't aware that a beast in a man's disguise was the ruler of such close lands" Alexandra said, realizing finally all of what Evelyn said now that both of them were a bit calmer. "The deceiver, the liar... pretending to marry me after trying to make you his mistress?" Alexandra's face tinted red with embarrassment and anger. "A demon indeed! It wouldn't surprise me if his boots hid hoofs..." she protested, still caressing Evelyn's face and hair without thinking much of it, their bodies intertwined in that awkward but heartfelt embrace.

"N--no it's okay, please, it's okay, it's important you heard his words, that you understand now the kind of man he is."

Evelyn continued to sniffle and whimper but as the moments passed it was getting easier and Alexandra's gentle, affectionate embrace, combined with those soft hands fumbling slightly across her face, blindly wiping away her tears and carressing gently, she was reminded of her time with the female patron. Gentle, intimate, passionate, soft, much more emotion with each touch than any man she had been with. The memory made her flush, but she did not full away from the girl, on the contrary, she tightened the embrace, inhaling her scent as she breathed deeply to calm herself.

"I'm sorry for being so weak, I'm supposed to be the one lending you my aid, and here I am sobbing in your arms, while you're forced to endure and do your best to comfort me." She sighed, but it was less of a sigh of despair and more of hope. "I suppose it's better this way. You're stronger than you give yourself credit for, and while I've heard you claim in frustration at how helpless you feel at times, you have other strengths and qualities. We can look out for eachother. I don't know how well I'd have handled a situation like this if you weren't here. I fear I am broken sometimes, maybe not physically but my mind simply collapses in on itself sometimes out of fear and anguish..." She trailed off feeling as if she could get lost in the gentle touches of Alexandra, the feeling made her feel guilty.

"A demon in spirit maybe but he is human and no hooves to be found." She chuckled softly, finally lifting her head up to look at her. "Thank you, here you are looking after me when it's supposed to be the other way around. We have each other's backs." She said proudly. "How about a change in scenery? Shall we go for that walk now, through the gardens? Would be a nice change after that dreadful letter. We should just forget about it for the time being, try not to worry about it until it is closer to his arrival?" She wished all of this mess could simply be swept under the rug, but it would not be so easy.

Slowly she climbed off the bed, releasing herself from Alexandra's arms, cupping her cheek affectionately before reaching down to take her hand. "Shall we go? I'd love to see more of the grounds, we can talk about anything, as long as we get away from that letter for a while."

"No, please, don't be silly..." Alexandra whispered, leaning closer and closer as Evelyn tightened her embrace. The girl kept caressing her, touching her with a combination of curiosity and tenderness, as it didn't just seem to be calming for the woman, but it was also a source of interest for herself. There was something on that intimacy, those shared touches, that gave her dark world a warm and cuddling feel, instead of the usual cold and lonely one. Alexandra was so close that she could feel the weight of every word that Evelyn uttered on the skin of her neck, the damp and warm breath of life tickling her. "You aren't broken, we aren't broken, and no one is going to take advantage of us" she said, determined to make things work, emboldened and feeling worked up by Evelyn's presence and that loathsome letter.

Feeling Evelyn move a bit under her small hands, Alexandra didn't expect her to make a joke and chuckle about Garland. Sure it was forced, it had to be given the situation, but even so the girl couldn't help but smile, happy that Evelyn found courage to keep going forward. "Good idea, being in bed fully dressed is a bit awkward even if it was sweet" she agreed, airing her dress a bit to make it less crumpled. "It was also warmer than expected, I don't know if it was the breakfast or just a sign that I'm getting better" she commented, wondering if it was related to her sickness. "I'm not feverish" Alexandra voiced, touching her forehead. "So I guess I'm just fine" said with an unladylike shrug, her doll-like cheeks looking rosy even if she didn't know.

After leaning towards Evelyn's fleeting caress as she grazed her face, she was glad to return her hand holding and the help to get up from bed. "If it's a good sunny day we could take a stroll around the house, so I can show you the surroundings a bit, clean air will do me good" Alexandra commented. "If it's a bit more cold or rainy we can stay inside, although there are bits of the manor to check yet. Or we could take a carriage to town, get you a few dresses ordered" she commented, aware with the touching that unless she was sorely mistaken Evelyn was wearing the same dress once more. There was nothing wrong with it, specially if her luggage was light after having to flee from that dreadful man's intentions, or so she had imagined, but if dressing nice made Alexandra happy even if she couldn't see herself, maybe it could work with Evelyn. Either way it would depend on how Evelyn perceived the weather more than anything else.

Gently, she aided in lifting Alexandra up from the bed, keeping one arm around her snugly, leaning closer than they had when previously waling together. After their embrace and her minor breakdown, something within her had snapped. She didn't want to give up the girls touch or the closeness. Leaning in, allowing the side of her head to lightly nuzzle Alexandra's as she glanced out the window. "It doesn't look particularly warm out, it's light, but there's still a light mist over the grounds. Maybe if we simply walked the halls for a bit, and check to see if it's warmed up by then."

Evelyn wondered about going into town. It thankfully was not the city where she was from, surely there would be no one there who would recognize her for what she really was, yet it gave her pause all the same. Would they be allowed to go into the town alone? Doubtful, Alexandra was important, frailty aside, if someone wanted to harm the noble girl, there was nothing she'd be able to do about it, but there were guards, maybe they came with her on such trips? Rather than guessing she decided to ask "Would we be accompanied by guards if we went into town?" She asked still a little shakily, random aggressors aside, having some protection with them would be good if someone by chance did recognize her, perhaps a resident of the town who visited the city for the whore houses, she could claim they were some mad man, she hoped anyways.

"I admit, I would like some dresses, I'm beginning to feel a little silly in this same ol thing, atleast in a new dress I could stand to look half as beautiful as you do." Her hand was wrapped around Alexandra's waist and clutching her hand from the other side, which left them quite snug and close to one another as she lead her out the doors and down a hallway, with no direction in mind, simply to give their feet something to do. "You have a lot of color in your face today, did I tell you that? You've always been quite pretty since I first laid eyes on you, but I mean, it's nice seeing you look lively, I hope you're feeling as good as you look." she forced a light giggle her voice still a bit strained from all of the crying, but she tried her best to keep the subject focused on Alexandra for now, forgetting all about Garland.

Back
Top Bottom