Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

OC Development Assistance

how_is_you

Devil with a Heart of Iron
Hi there! I have been looking to develop some more OCs for the various canon worlds I like to play in, but I find it rather difficult to create anything other than a Mary Sue. It doesn't really help that some of the universes I am wanting to make the OCs for are fighting game universes, where, chances are, the character of that sort has likely been made and they are just buried deep into the lore.

I am posting this short little thread to ask for some advice on creating OCs without making them Mary Sues. Any tools I could use? Appreciate it in advance!

Hi there. As someone who adores writing many characters in her stories....you can start by coming up with a list of basic trait ideas you want to incorporate. Try to keep a balance. So, if you have a strength, have a weakness too and so on. You can come up with a list of possibilities for these traits as well and then use a die roller to figure out what you use in the end. Leaving some stuff up to chance can help make things more believable sometimes. Also, as you go, take a step back and think...does this character have depth? Are the believable/relatable? Think about what motivates them. This can greatly help with any character, not just side ones. : )

Hope this helps a little. >///<

Well, it's a good thing that chances are a spare d20 is around my house somewhere. xD

Appreciate that advice, DA. I dunno if you watched the videos, but the advice is actually strikingly similar to a video that the YouTube channel Geek and Sundry put out for D&D GMs, about how to create characters. Matthew Mercer hosts that show. Fun times.

Anyway, again, thank you very much for the advice!

If you're still seeking assistance, I'd like to share some questions I like to ask myself when creating new characters.

1. If you could give your character any piece of advice, what would it be?
2. Who would be your OC's worst enemy?
3. Who would consider your OC their worst enemy, and why?
No one is beyond being hated or disliked, after all.
4. Like darkangel76 mentions in her post, what motivates your OC? As you say you're mainly looking to craft OCs in fighting games, a good question to ask may be what initially drew them to learn their specific fighting style, and how does it reflect in their personality. Relatedly, think about the OC's very first fight. Who did (s)he face, and why? What caused the fight? Who won? What lesson(s), if any, were learned?
5. What is the most embarrassing moment of your OC's life so far?
6. What is your OC's most cherished possession, and why?
7. What's your OC's greatest dream, and why?
8. Who is your OC most loyal to and/or most respectful towards? Why?

And to against draw upon darkangel76's comments, any character strength can become a weakness when pushed two steps further. For example, courage in the face of danger is a positive attribute. Take that two steps further, and you have reckless foolhardiness and the arrogant--and dangerous--underestimation of enemies. A protective cunning, two steps further, can become callous manipulation of others like chess pieces against their will because you think you know what's best. Strong compassion and empathy, two steps further, can result in taking everyone's burdens on your shoulders to the point of self-destruction. That sort of stuff.

Hopefully, some of this helps; I'm just spitballin' some ideas here. :p

Thanks for that, Vyce. I have determined that I will make a Microsoft word Compendium of any advice that comes through here, and stick it in my Dropbox for quick reference.

If you are perusing, feel free to drop any hints ya got, it is all welcome!

Don't worry too too too much about your character being a sue. All of Vyce's advice is good advice but like, people have being reading stories about Superman, James Bond, etc for years and years and those characters win all the time.

Look at how popular One Punch Man is right now - one of the most overpowered characters ever.

You mentioned fighting games and you have a sig of Akuma and Ryu so let's say Street Fighter. Don't stress about writing a groundbreaking ORIGINAL OC character. All Street Fighter characters are sterotypes with one or two small twists anyway. If you like writing badass ninjas that brood and beat people up, don't be afraid to write that. Just give it that extra layer of "idea" and push it forward.

What other movies or games or TV shows are you into? The shows on the top of my head are Black Sails, Breaking Bad, Lego Batman and John Wick 2.

Black Sails OC: Your character is trying to chase down a mysterious source of kung-fu knowledge and will stop at nothing to get it. Maybe he's hunting down old students of this style or looking for weird artifacts. Or maybe he's a mercenary and is trying to raise money and will work for anybody.
Breaking Bad OC: Your guy is at some ninja school and is secretly training in dark hadou for an edge. He insists he can control it but...
Lego Batman OC: Your guy is a great fighter but is lonely and isolated. He's challenged to take on a student.
John Wick 2 OC: Your guy is a retired fighter brought back to do one last tournament. But he HATES fighting now and thinks of it as an endless cycle of violence, blah blah blah.

You can do that setup with any property. It might seem lazy but if you're telling a kung-fu story your guy doesn't have to start as a super complex person.

And note that all 4 of these guys can be as Mary Sueish in the sense of winning or losing fights as you want. That's not the main hook, the main hook is their personality and situation. Can your guy find the secret book or turn away from the evil magic or train a student or turn away from fighting... if you tell that story in an interesting way people won't care if your character is OP or not.

It's Street Fighter, so slap some ethnic stereotype on top of that and you're 80% there. For example, when I say "lonely isolated fighter who trains all the time" your brain might think "Ryu knockoff"...

But if he's Lord Chester Glovington the 3rd and trains in some mansion that's a different set of life experiences and obligations than a Canadian who trains in the woods and communes with the bear spirits or a lucha libre dude who trains in the back room of an orphanage, on and on and on.

Building on Nov's advice for a minute, let me make a rp specific pointers. One reason reason Mary Sues and God Modders are hated in rp is because they steal the spotlight and make everything about themselves. They make the story boring, when they always have the perfect way to solve all the problems that arise.

So pretend your character and your partner are trying to fuse, DBZ style and match their power levels. Give them chances to shine as well. Let your character fail at times, or make them do things that make you cringe. Some of my richest and more fulfilling rp moments happened after I had my character do things I'd rather they didn't, but were in character for them.

Further elaborating on Xana's points here:

My number one rule (that I'm sure someone likes breaking, but it helps me) is that whatever character you make in a fandom setting is not a spotlight stealer, they are just another character in an ensemble cast as Xana said. People often make fandom characters one dimensional and narrow without much thought on why that is, considering in most storytelling medium you have a wide swath to pull from on character personalities and perspectives, but it's really just one part fanboyism and one part ignorance. People want their character to be relevant, but they don't always understand the ability to MAKE that character relevant without making big leaps, which destroys credibility. A lot of this extends to how you write them.

For a Street Fighter example (Since it is the clearest one I can think of), Ryu is practically Generic Karate Dude, but because of his history and his backstory he is an iconic and notable character. He is not the only person that travels the world in Street Fighter and I seriously doubt he's not the only one looking to get his zen boner on about being the mightest warrior. Two things need to then happen during character creation:

1. Are the actual characters going to be involved at any point? If so, how do you handle that? Say you make someone who is literally Ryu for argument's sake, a traveling warrior looking to further his or her growth spiritually, physically and mentally. Since this is Street Fighter, I assume that there would be fighting in some manner of traveling surface, so how does that add up? How do you respect your own character while respecting the fandom characters? This is where universe knowledge comes into play. While Ryu may not be THE strongest guy in the Street Fighter universe, he has experience out the fucking ass and he routinely handles people that could be considered his better through experience, plot armor and force of will.

Through this, you need to understand what it means to make a character competent. Lots of people make the assumptions that flashy attacks and some kind of personality is what makes your character who they are, but I disagree. What makes a character competent is your handling of him from a writing perspective, you need to sell to someone that your character (if you so choose) is capable of going toe to toe with probably one of the most deadly fighters in Street Fighter without it coming off like wank fuel for your fanboy mind. How do you do that? Well, onto number 2!

2. You and your character need to understand that they're going to get their shit wrecked like a crash test dummy. For 80% of the characters in any kind of scenario that are experienced enough to handle these scenarios, you need to respect the other character through your own writing. You need to convey the feeling of what you're up against in a proper manner, you need to be able to write a loss and you need to be able to write a loss well, because as Xana says, it adds serious and considerable legitimacy to your character by having them win and lose. Since Ryu isn't a real human being, this is up to your own knowledge and research. Imagine what it would feel like to be hit by a guy who has been fighting for most of his life, In Third Strike, He's around 35.

So imagine a thirty-five year old martial artist who has been fighting for the vast majority of his life coming at you, look into stuff with similar backgrounds, Donnie Yen, Bruce Lee, ectera. The reason that the Street Fighter people are a place of extremes is because the level that the main cast is on is generally absurd, barring certain characters. So how do you legitimize your character? This is where I think a lot of people struggle with because they try too hard to drive certain points or personality quirks home to justify them being 'them', you don't have to justify a character existing, you have to justify why they matter. You have to find what makes the character do what they do, be up against what they're up against despite any sort of gap that they have. You do not need to have a Ryu to make a good character, you just need to make the character breathe.

So say you make a run of the mill fighter guy, better than most, but not really reaching the higher echelons of Street Fighter-dom. Where does that put you if Ryu comes at you with the aggressiveness of a fifteen-year-old angst fanfiction? Well, quite frankly you're going to be overwhelmed. But you also have a character who DOES have fighting experience, of somewhat equal stature, but maybe not as many years and surely not having fought the way that Ryu has. So in this particular instance, you need to pay respect to your character's own training while also respecting Ryu. Your character would likely have enough experience to understand that Ryu is doing what he is doing, but he might not have the training or the reaction time to properly defend or respond. Remember that a win is a win regardless of how ugly it is, and an ugly win determines the actual validity of your character, your opponent's skill and the fight itself.

Never, ever be afraid of making your character look like a joke if you actually have a solid basis for doing so. Making a fandom character that fits within a setting requires a lot of information about the setting itself to properly align your character with the universe, the characters in it and so forth without being obnoxious. I cannot tell you how many people got their boners nice and hard over me mentioning I do fighting game ladies and their characters amounted to "My character is (fandom character here)'s biggest fan/protege/stalker/PLEASELETMEFUCKHER", and it was extremely irritating. Understand the perspective of the story you want to tell, understand what might be involved and for god's sakes, make sure the character is actually doing something other than trying to fuck someone.

Another good point, to add alongside the other great advice, is that it isn't the skills that necessarily earn the Scarlet S, but just how well--or poorly--they're written. Some of fiction's most beloved characters would easily be considered Sues if you only focused on listing their abilities/histories/accomplishments and such on paper and didn't take how they were written into consideration. (Personally, it's when someone's incredible powers/skills/experience are just informed without narrative proof or obtained without any real effort, that tweaks my alarm.)

Another piece of advice (noted above by November): Start out simple. Ryu is arguably the Generic Karate Dude as broomhandle45 notes (here's an interesting trope about other Ryus in fiction), but it's his personality and character that makes him stand out as the golden standard/Peanuts of Generic Karate Dudes. A plumber named after a landlord demanding rent, whose most well-known ability is jumping good (so much so he was once literally named "Jumpman"), is one of the most beloved and famous video game characters ever. You don't need to have everything about a character set-in-stone from the beginning, impossible to change or alter. After all, in real life, people can change a great deal. Just have the basics to allow your OC (and you) some breathing room to grow and flesh out as the story unfolds. :)

Jesus fuckballs, this is a lot of good info. xD I almost regret making the Word compendium.

Thanks to all of you beautiful bastards. After a bit of practice with these tidbits of advice in mind, I caj already tell my OCs are gonna be that much better. I guess I'll do practice writing this stuff in a story format, as fighting game ladies tend to be hard to find partners for, but I seriously appreciate all of this advice.

I fucking love this site. :')

Back
Top Bottom