Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Brave New World (Razgriz x darkangel76)

Vishnu watched on as this young woman tried so desperately to fight him, fight the truth of all things. And however cold and however unforgiving it was, she was going to have to accept the fact that humanity as a species was doomed. Had been from the start. And yet the human element, that singular desire to prove themselves better than the natural order, seemed to push them onward ever faster towards that unavoidable end. It was a shame, truly it was, that he had to let them all die out.

But there was no other feasible outcome. For his own plans hinged on them battling it out, a plan to correct the errors of the past and pave the way for a better future of the Earth. A means to restore this once-verdant world to its former beauty.

It was something he hadn't told anyone, not even his 'son' Ivan, who seemed just as hellbent on helping them survive. But then, Ivan had developed a rebellious persona even in the early stages of his programming, a form of self-awareness and self-development rarely seen in ANY of his earlier prototypes. It was the boon and bane of his greatest creation, the pride and downfall of such a magnificent machine. Or at least, that was how he viewed it.

Once she was done, Vishnu said nothing else. The non-existent eyes just stared at her, the young woman imprisoned yet so defiant within this wrecked cage of steel and rubber. His oddly-shaped metal head tilted a little, as if in contemplation of her words, before a small but no less noticeable 'Hmph' echoed from his vocal processor. "Perhaps you will, perhaps you won't. The human element always makes things difficult to truly predict, after all." he finally stated after a few terse moments of silence, standing back up.

"Ivan...Take her back home before she gets herself killed out here." was his next command, to which Ivan replied, "But Father, there must be something..."

"Nothing. If she were truly caring about her people, she wouldn't risk herself getting captured and having her trail lead the Enforcers back to her town, now would she? You can see the blatant hypocrisy, can't you?"

At this, Ivan fell silent; deep down, he knew his father was right, but that didn't mean she should be punished so harshly! She was in a bad situation, with the direness rising by the day. But, it would be best to get her home safely. "And after you're done...Back home, mister." was Vishnu's final command, his tone like that a parent truly scolding a child. "Yes, Father." Ivan meekly complied, Vishnu snapping his metallic fingers and the web of light disappearing instantly. With this, the android was able to lift Cora's vehicle onto his shoulders and started on their journey back to Hargard, flying through the sky just as Vishnu's own rockets carried him through the air once more. Back to his own lair of supposed technological wonder.

As they progressed on, Ivan wanted to say something to Cora. Anything, to try and excuse his father's malicious words. He feared for his sanity; Vishnu was growing more erratic by the day. Not that it was any surprise, with how long he'd been around. Still, even this...He was never THIS cold. He mostly liked to toy with people, but now Ivan was afraid his own father might soon be truly lost to insanity.

"Cora..." he finally spoke up, "When we get back to Hargard, I will do my best to help them see why you did what you did. Reckless as it was...Believe me when I say I can understand. You want something better, you want not to live in fear of domination. Of annihilation. I want that too, but my father - for reasons that escape me - is hell-bent on letting you all fight these battles yourselves. I am only sorry that I cannot do more, even if I am just one android against an army."

Cora felt her insides twisting as her blood rushed through her veins. She clenched her fists and fought the urge to scream that she suddenly began to feel a dull throb deep within her temples. Her eyes shut as Vishnu's cruel words washed over her, penetrating not just her mind, but her very soul. He clearly didn't understand her at all, had no concept or idea of her intentions in the slightest. She sucked in a sharp breath as she choked back the tears that were on the verge of falling, the ache in her chest reaching the point of unbearable.

Vishnu had it all wrong. Every last bit of it and he hadn't even been willing to hear her out. No. He'd been all too eager to be rid of her, to get her out of his sight forever. To him, she was an insignificant and unfortunate life form. And he probably thought it a shame she breathed the air the planet provided.

Ugh...how she hated him!

Cora loved her town, her people. They were her friends and her life. Without them, she'd be a lost soul still wandering the wastes. She thought about her mother, her heart suddenly pining. Never did she suddenly feel so alone. Everything she'd done and risked had been for the people who'd taken her in. None of it was for herself. It never was. And to allude to such a harsh notion made her want curl in upon herself and be alone. Not even Narcissa had been this cruel.

As Ivan picked up the vehicle she was in, Cora didn't even know what to say. Ivan. She hadn't known what to expect there, but even he made her wonder why she'd bothered. What had she seen in taking such a risk? Oh, she'd been so very stupid. How could she matter when those who'd come before her never had.

Cora turned away from Ivan, though all she could see were images of Vishnu, those heartless words swirling in her head over and over again. She wanted to shut it off! Just...something!

"Don't do me any favors," Cora huffed, the tears she'd desperately held back in front of Vishnu finally falling. She scowled and angrily brushed them away with her sleeve. "Wouldn't want to piss off your father more than I already have." She paused a moment, still unable to look at Ivan. "Besides, what's the point? I'm doomed anyway. I'm human."

Cora was angry, frustrated...saddened. Why was Vishnu so ready to let humans die? To let them suffer? Just...how did this Vishnu even come to exist in the first place? She wondered where the answers to that might be. Clearly Vishnu was just impossible. He had no desire to speak with her. To him, she was an annoyance, something better off dead and turned to ash like the rest of humanity. And Ivan...no. After everything, she just couldn't—no, wouldn't—ask. The more she thought, the more she wondered if the answers could be found in Capital City. It was where everything was stored. She'd have the best chance at finding answers.

But just what was she looking for? And the capital was riddled with Enforcers and home of Anselm himself. It was suicide.

It was worth it.

Cora wiped at her eyes again and rummaged through some of the things she'd brought to show Vishnu if he'd bothered to give her a chance. Carefully, with the tenderness and love of a mother, she held up a small potted plant. She had no idea what it was called, but she knew it was rare, thought to be non-existent. It had been found on a caravan run, wilted, near death. But with her knack with plants—thanks to Kaitrin's mentoring—she'd managed to nurse it back to health and harvest seeds to grow more. It wasn't much, but it was all she had left.

"I guess when you're ready to head back to your father you can give him this." Cora held up the plant and tucked some of her hair behind an ear. "I've no idea why I'm even bothering, I..." her voice trailed and she sighed. "Shit. Just give it to him. I don't care what he does with it. I've got more seeds back at Hargard."

Face contorted, Cora just looked at Ivan. But she was unable to do so for very long. Images of Vishnu flashed through her mind and the urge to scream, to cry became strong. Fighting it off, she just stared at her lap and waited to face the inevitable chaos upon her return to Hargard.

If only they knew she planned on going to Capital City next.

It seemed his father's words truly had an effect on the young woman, the weight of defeat heavy in her voice. Vishnu might have been right on many things, but Ivan saw the same things. And reached an entirely different conclusion. One thing that did escape him was why...If Father wanted humans to die, why not do it himself? He had the capacity, the complete detachment, and the element of surprise, being able to strike anywhere at any time. The android had gotten a glimpse of the arsenal his father possessed, and knew that he could flatten every single settlement on the face of the Earth in a matter of hours if he ever felt up to it.

So why did he not pull the trigger, in a manner of speaking? And why help him with repairing himself, knowing that his own son was helping the very people he wanted to battle it out? He might have claimed that he wanted him to be free, but Ivan felt there was more to it. There had to be; so many variables were present, and no solutions existed.

His mind switched back to Cora, hearing her refusal of his offer. He merely stayed silent, knowing now that he would have to defy her wishes. He did not worry about making his father upset; Vishnu, in that respect, never once did anything to physically nor mentally harm or disable him. Nonetheless, in this moment the android decided to not fuel the fire. What could be construed as surprise registered on his face as she handed him the strange-looking plant; Ivan had never seen anything like this before. What did she hope to accomplish, he wondered.

Still, if she planned on giving this to him, it must mean a great deal to her. Which, in her own way, might have thought it meant something to Vishnu. "Very well" was his only reply, the town of Hargard soon coming into view. At least for now, she'll be home safe, mused the android.

Little did either of them realize the effect this would have on the young girl's plan. And just how long she would be staying.

Ivan landed just behind the entrance to the main gate, where a livid-looking Redstone, Hemmingway, and several others - fully armed and armored guards among them - stood at the ready. Several other buggies were primed, looking like they were ready to go out and hunt her down "Oh dear..." Ivan muttered as he set down, laying the wrecked buggy down next to him.

The mayor's eyebrow twitched like a deranged maniac, his face red as a cherry and his teeth about ready to bite through the cigar in his mouth. It was bad enough she stole it...But now he discovered it destroyed. "PEARCE! YOU STUPID FUCKING GIRL! YOU FUCKED UP NOW! YOU BETTER HAVE A DAMNED GOOD REASON FOR DOING THIS!" he bellowed, rage saturating every word; he then pointed at two of the guards, "YOU TWO! GO GET SOME FUCKING HACKSAWS OR SOMETHING AND GET HER OUT! THEN THROW HER FUCKING ASS IN A FUCKING CELL!" The two men didn't hesitate in the slightest, running off to the mechanic's shop for tools to pry the bent and twisted cage bars apart.

Hemmingway tried to step in, "Mayor, wait, I'm sure she..." to which Redstone shouted, "SHUT! UP!" before marching over to where Cora was still trapped, Ivan now standing in front of him, "Mayor, please go easy on her. She was just trying to help." "Trying to help, was she? Look what she did to the buggy, tin man! We don't have your fancy flying power, or whatever the hell lets you do that! We need those buggies...Not just for the Caravan, but for scouting and recon sorties. Now we're going to be down one until it gets fixed. And it just so happens we have another assignment in a few days!"

He then pushed past Ivan, going next to Cora and getting in her face, stating in a menacing whisper as he held up a set of heavy iron shackles, "Congratulations, Pearce. You just set the record for the shortest career as a Caravan runner. I'm throwing your ass in the slammer, then melting the key for scrap. And you're going to sit alone for a long time, girl!"

Ivan tried to reason with him, saying "Mayor, please don't. She's been through enough today." The man stood up quickly, spitting out "And why would I do that? She put everyone here in danger, and trashed a valuable asset!" Ivan replied, "She wanted to see my father...She got what she wished for. The meeting didn't go as, what I am assuming to be, she expected. Please, for her sake, show mercy. She was trying to help you...Help everyone here in town."

Redstone growled, "I don't give a damn if she was searching for the Fountain of Youth. She snuck out. Stole from MY town, from MY people. I'm responsible for every life here, do you understand that? And if she's going to risk it all on some whim, then she gets punished. That's how it works." At this Ivan replied, "And what if her meeting had worked? What if she successfully enlisted my father's help? Would you punish her then?"

At this, the mayor paused, stupefied for a moment before chuckling, "Oh, I see what you're trying to do. You know what? Yeah, I would have. Maybe not as harshly, but she'd still sit in a jail for a while. And partly BECAUSE it didn't work, along with the fact that she went WITHOUT authorization, her punishment went up." Letting out a sigh, the mayor added, "Look, Ivan...I get it you're trying to help. And honestly, we're indebted to what you've done. But there are rules that need to be followed. Rules that if broken, could lead to everything we built here being destroyed. And if you're half as smart as I think you are, you can see why she has to pay the price."

Ivan's fist clenched, frustration brewing in his circuits; was no one willing to stand up? Why did Cora have to be judged so harshly? Could they not see the nobility of her actions? It was...It was wrong! Ivan was quickly starting to see that he could not win this, and now the thought went into his head that he just made things worse for her. Right now, the best course of action would be to leave. He then looked down to the plant; he'd never seen anything like that. But if Cora wanted to give it to him, then she must have seen something special in it. Something only a human could see.

"I do not agree with that conclusion, not entirely. However, I am in no position to force you to change your mind. . Cora...I promise to bring this to my father. It must be important to you, if you risked your life trying to give it. Just be strong, alright?" he then said, quickly taking off and leaving the young woman at the mercy of the Mayor. At this point, the two guards had returned and started to cut Cora out, Redstone's attention turning back to her once she was free. "Cora Pearce, as Mayor of Hargard I am placing you under formal arrest. Three counts grand larceny, one count destruction of city property, one count reckless endangerment of the people." he then said as he forcefully started to shackle her, being none too gentle with the binds. "You're going to sit in a cell until I feel you're ready to come out, or until someone makes a strong enough case to change my mind." he then added, roughly dragging her along towards the prison and people watching on.

Hemmingway, Gray and Jameson all wanted to do something. SAY something...But what would it do? Just piss him off more and make more harm befall Cora. He had every right to be mad, but all this was a bit much. "I'll talk to Redstone later when he's had a chance to cool off. I don't like that he's putting her through the walk of shame, even if Cora did steal a buggy." Of course, what that really meant was that he was going to talk to Redstone, wait for him at his office and have some words. Likely would be a lot of yelling in this case, but who knew. If anyone could get through to Redstone, it was the Caravan boss.

Betrayal. That's what it felt like as her heart twisted inside her ribs. She knew Ivan was caught in the middle, but somehow she'd hoped he'd do something, do more. But he didn't. Perhaps he couldn't? She wouldn't be surprised if Vishnu made it impossible for Ivan to truly disobey him. Yes, he was intelligent, but did he truly have his own free will? As she glanced into those red eyes, eyes that had made her tummy flutter not long ago, she had to wonder.

Just how precious was life to this Vishnu if he was so willing to let it all die?

She was confused, angry and more than a little heartbroken. Cora remained quiet and still as Ivan landed the destroyed buggy right in the heart of Hargard. She could see Redstone's face turning purple as he glared in her direction. She supposed she deserved it for wrecking the thing. No. She didn't wreck it. Vishnu did.

Damn, Vishnu! Damn him!

Cora's eyes stung as she thought on that spindly-limbed android, his voice ringing in her ears as he mocked and bullied. Why couldn't she get him out of her head? Why did she bother seeking him out? Why did she even care what he thought?

But she did and it made her blood boil all the more.

As Redstone rained down his fury upon her, Cora refused to look at him or at Ivan as he defended her actions. A part of her was grateful, but a part of her just felt numb. Redstone's insults rolled over her like icy waves, tiny needles pricking the skin as rivulets of blood trickled over pale flesh. But she'd felt this sting before. She was used to this. It was safe. It was home. She closed her eyes and images of Vishnu's face staring squarely into her own came into view. Immediately, they flew open and she was eye to eye with an infuriated Redstone as he held up a pair of menacing shackles that jingled in his fist.

Meanwhile, Kaitrin had heard all the shouts and the lights in the square were illuminated. She'd found Cora's note and crumpled it in her fist as she rushed outside.

"What's going on?" Narcissa called after Kaitrin as she moved to follow, her eyes still heavy with sleep as she pushed her blonde locks away from her scarred face.

Kaitrin didn't answer as she bolted outside and saw Redstone dragging Cora off, her hands bound in shackles. "What the fuck?" she muttered, her eyes moving from Cora to Ivan to Hemmingway. Narcissa was suddenly snickering behind her. Almost instantly, she glanced back at the blonde and narrowed her eyes into slits.

"Sorry, just...really?" Cissa stated rhetorically.

Both girls rushed to the scene and approached Hemmingway and some of the others that had gone on the caravan run with them only a few short days ago. Kaitrin looked at Hemmingway, a frown on her lips. Narcissa pushed passed the raven-haired girl causing Kaitrin to let out a soft grunt as she lost her footing slightly and had to recover her balance.

Looking up at the caravan boss, Narcissa placed her hands on her hips. "So when are you talking to Redstone?"

Kaitrin's eyes widened, the light from the square causing them to sparkle like sapphires. She wasn't sure she'd heard Cissa correctly. Was the bitch actually gunning to get Cora out of jail?

Hell had finally frozen over!

Narcissa looked over at the wrecked buggy and cringed, a small sound coming from her as she winced. "All of us know Cora pretty well," she went on and then looked over at Ivan. "We all know she'd never try to hurt anyone."

Kaitrin smiled.

"Don't go getting any ideas, Kaitrin," Narcissa added, her finger moving to her face and tracing the scar.

Cora didn't bother fighting as she was dragged off to prison. There was no sense in doing so. She was outnumbered and she had to play it smart if she was going to make it to the Capital City. And she had to. If only she could speak to Hemmingway. Maybe he'd understand. He'd told her once that she could come to him. Perhaps she should've listened. Perhaps that was part of it. If she wanted to make a difference and truly help the people she loved, she needed them to be free to make their own choices.

If only Vishnu truly understood that...or did he?

Damn him. He was plaguing her mind. As she sat in her dark cell all alone, her eyes suddenly felt heavy. She was exhausted. As sleep came, so did dreams...and they were filled with a spindly android and his haunting words.

Hemmingway could only watch the scene unfold before, like it was a bad dream turning into an even worse nightmare; true the buggy was a valuable part of the Caravan and general exploration. True, parts to fix it were hard to find and even more difficult to fabricate with the supplies so scarce. But this amount of punishment just seemed wrong. Cora looked positively traumatized, like she lost her soul when she went to meet this Vishnu individual; he didn't know exactly what went on, since he was still fairly out of reality after Ivan saved his life. But he knew Cora and her sense of judgment; she was a risk-taker, but she wouldn't do so if she felt there was anything less than everything to gain from it.

His own throughts were disrupted as Cissa came up to him and demanded to know when he was going to talk to Redstone. His face after she asked that question was one Kaitrin shared as well: Completely taken aback. Well, this was a surprise and a pleasant one at that. Seemed their brush with death in the wastes actually started to have Narcissa care for her comrade.

That was good.

"Soon; he's too riled up right now. I need to wait for him to cool down. Really, he's more upset about losing one of his people than the actual buggy being demolished. You know how he gets." was his reply to the blonde-haired girl. Giving her a smile, he then added after pointing between Kaitrin and Cissa, "But I want you both to come with me. He needs to know that it's not just me who thinks he's going overboard."

Giving a sigh, he then stated, "But first, I think we need to go talk to Cora. Try to get her side of what happened. Whatever she tried talking to this Vishnu about didn't work, and I saw it in her eyes: She feels alone. We need to make sure she knows there are people looking out for her." And without waiting for a response, he followed Redstone's path and into the general prison. It wasn't really much, nothing more than a small building full of cells that reminded him of certain unpleasant events in his past.

He had just arrived after Redstone was coming back out; both men just seemed to stare at each other, as if daring one to make a move. Redstone then gave a snort, knowing what was coming. "Let me have a drink first...You three can see me in my office in twenty." was the only thing he said before walking off, his footfalls heavy and fading.

Hemmingway said nothing and went forward to Cora's cell, where she seemed to be sleeping fitfully. Or at the very least, not as fully as she could have been. Usually the young woman was so energetic, so ready to take things on. To see her like this - defeated, willing to comply - it was uncharacteristic. Just what had Vishnu said or done?

"Pearce..." he muttered soothingly as he leaned against the bars of her cell, "Cora. Wake up...I know you're tired. But you need to tell us what happened out there. Why did you risk going out there? What did you hope to gain by meeting 'Vishnu'? Who is he? Or rather, it?"

Meanwhile, Ivan eventually made his way back to where he and his father had encountered Cora: It was a misdirection, in case people had been following them. Father had made sure that there was no way anyone could track where he was going, and there was really only one way to do that, even if people didn't think it was possible.

Within an instant, Ivan's body disappeared in a flash of light, leaving nothing to indicate his presence. He soon materialized in what appeared to be an empty room, the entirety devoid of...anything. Before long, his optical sensors were loaded to capacity with luminous radiation, forcing him to raise a hand. "Every time..." the android stated in his flat voice, lowering his shielding arm as Vishnu's spindly form came into view.

The two of them looked at each other, neither saying a single word. Instead, a small icon popped up in Ivan's peripheral: It was a form of silent communication, much like the digital messenger services of the past. Why Father was choosing to do this was beyond comprehension.

'Ivan':
What happened? Why are you reaching out to me like this?

'Vishnu':
Wanted to experiment with the vocal processors. Think I messed up the main synthesizer circuit, I'm letting it do a soft reboot. In any event...Took a little longer than expected there, son...Everything alright?

'Ivan':
What do you think...Cora's in jail because of you!

'Vishnu':
Yes, I imagined the lovely Mayor would be less than pleased. Better she be there than having the Enforcers' attention directed at her town.

'Ivan':
All she wants to do is help that town. Why do you want us to sit back and do nothing? Why go through the trouble in the first place?

'Vishnu':
I wanted to see if tragedy would help them come together. But genetics is a fickle bastard, not something that can be corrected easily. Besides...It won't matter much soon anyway. By the way, why are you carrying a plant?

'Ivan':
Cora wanted me to give this to you. Apparently she thinks you might be intrigued by it or something.

Ivan at this point held the plant out to his father, whose stick-like arms reached out and took it. The horse-shoe head of Vishnu seemed to analyze it, like he was holding something completely alien to this world in his hand.

'Vishnu':
I don't know what she sees in this plant, or how this would make me change my mind. Still...I will admit it's a beautiful specimen, though I can't find any archives on it in my onboard database. However, for the sake of amusing her, I'll give it a look-over. see just what she might want me to find off this. By the by, I've picked up some strange energy signals from your core. I would suggest you have it looked at.

'Ivan':
That's all I ask for, Father...Whatever it is, I'm sure she meant for you to discover something in it. As for the core...If it helps put you at ease, then I'll run a diagnostic.

And like than, 'father and son' walked out from the empty room and into another: This one was much more complex-looking. All forms of machinery and electrical equipment were down here, intricately linked together and performing all sorts of functions for some unknown and indecipherable purpose. It was like the lab of a mad scientist...Except on a much larger scale. And the android knew that beyond this room there were many more, everything compartmentalized and organized meticulously; and still every day some small detail changed.

And as Ivan parted from his father, resting his body into a sleek silver chamber and a clear panel sliding over to lock him in, he let the sensors look at his structure. While his thoughts wandered to Cora, and how she was holding up with everything that was thrown at her today.

Cora's wrists and ankles were stuck, bound fast and tight as her body lied along the center of a massive web. Everything was dark, consumed by shadow, but she could hear his voice clear as day. Vishnu's words lingered in her ears, a soft breath brushing against her ear causing the tiny hairs along the back of her neck to stand on end. She shivered as she struggled to break free, but it only made her wrists more entangled within the massive web.

Panic consumed Cora as she turned her head from side to side, hateful mockery like a song filling the tiny space. She could barely make out his shadow in the darkness, that spindly frame she'd come to loathe. Why was he doing this, torturing her? She clamped her eyes shut and began to whimper. As she let herself cry, she heard a strange, muffled sound. Opening her eyes, she noticed the bonds at her wrists slowly severing.

"Wh-what?" Cora choked out amidst her weeping.

As one arm fell free, Cora felt her heart speed up. She knew Vishnu was still there. She could still make out his insults and laughter.

"Pearce..." Vishnu said. "Cora..."

Cora's eyes widened, stunned. She turned toward the android's voice, searching for his face.

Cora's eyes shot open and she found herself staring at Hemmingway along with Kaitrin and Narcissa. She rubbed the sleep from her dark eyes and allowed herself to focus. Her hands trembled and she began to rub her wrists bound in...shackles. Moments ago, they'd been tangled in silky strands of a web instead. And now? She was sitting in a dark cell with her friends looking in on her from the other side.

"Hemmingway?" Cora managed to croak, her voice weary and a bit hoarse.

"She looks like shit," Narcissa muttered earning her a hard nudge from Kaitrin.

Cora moved a bit closer to the trio. "What are you doing here?" she then asked, truly surprised to see anyone. She'd feared that her friends would be angry that she'd run off, that none of them would want to hear her out. Especially Narcissa. But as she looked out at the three of them, a pang of hope blossomed in her chest.

Hemmingway was just the man Cora wanted to talk to and maybe, just maybe, Kaitrin and Narcissa would help too. Given her situation she didn't have much choice in the matter. She worried about endangering her friends. She cared about Kaitrin and what involving her might entail. Then there was Cissa. Would she actually want to assist her after she found out what she wanted to do? She doubted it. Then, she'd have to trust the blonde to keep her mouth shut before they all got in trouble. Or...

Ugh. Redstone had really put her between a rock and a hard place, leaving her options slim to practically nothing.

Cora pursed her lips and bit down on the inside of her cheek. She thought about her encounter with Vishnu out in the wastes. Her body shuddered. He really couldn't just be biding his time until humanity died out. Something wasn't adding up. Something wasn't quite right. Something wasn't... She frowned a bit.

"V-vishnu? I..." Cora gathered her thoughts together and slumped against the wall. Her dark hair fell in front of her face.

Cissa sighed. Kaitrin nudged her again. "Fine, I get it," the blonde whispered harshly. "I'm here, aren't I?" Kaitrin just smiled at Cissa's words.

Cora looked up and smiled weakly. Cissa really was there to help. "All right. I went to see if Vishnu would help us," she began. "After everything that went down on the caravan run, all that technology he used on the Enforcers..." her voice trailed and a gleam of hope glinted in her dark eyes. "I don't know what I was thinking," she sighed. "But I'd thought that maybe if he'd shared that with us and Girdershade, we could band together. Maybe get other towns to help too." She shook her head. "But I was stupid. Vishnu won't help us stop Anselm." Her eyes stung with tears and she wiped them away with her sleeve. "It's us against the Capital, against Anselm."

Kaitrin let out an audible breath, a hand reaching out to touch Hemmingway's shoulder.

"We can't live like this any more," Cora added. "Sneaking around, trying to survive and barely doing it." She sniffled slightly. "We are going to die this way and..." More tears fell. "And I won't let it. I won't." Her face was contorted, angry, frustrated, sad. "We have to go to the Capital. Make a stand. Something. Just..." She buried her face against her knees. "I don't know how, but I can't stand watching everyone I love suffer any longer. We have to do something. Please? Let's do something..."

Hemmingway listened on as Cora detailed her story, telling him about the encounter she had with Vishnu. About why she went, and what she hoped to achieve. Something that clearly did not work. He knew that he was practically a dead man the whole time, but still...He'd missed so much. There was a lot of context that he was just learning about, and some that he still couldn't quite piece together just yet. But if something like Ivan was anything to go by, what Pearce was saying about Vishnu's tech could very well prove the undoing of Anselm and his Enforcers.

Narrowing his eyes a bit, he bit his lower lip in contemplation: On one hand, he wanted to congratulate Cora for her bravery and initiative. On the other, he wanted to try to convince her not to pursue it. As much as the towns worked together, it was only in the interest of mutual survival. Was there plenty of discontent for the 'King'? More than enough to infect the free population a thousand times over. But that did little to overcome the fear of assured destruction; all too often had scout reports told them of towns decimated and seized. Simply for so much as speaking against that murderous bastard.

One could only imagine what happened to those towns that actually dared try to FIGHT his army. And even with the element of the wild on their side, the Enforcer tech was far too advanced for them to overcome. They did need a winning edge, but until such time that one presented itself, there wasn't really anything they could do.

And when she presented her case, the Caravan boss scratched the back of his head and broke eye contact, a heavy sigh leaving his throat; clearly, it was something he was on the fence about. He wanted to tell her that he wanted to, but right now was just not the best time. Especially after such a close brush with Anselm's forces. But eventually he did turn to look back at her, his words likely to be less than encouraging

"Cora...Listen, I feel you. Everyone here feels how you do." he started to say, his tone already carrying that oddly polite tone of 'Shut up and listen'.

"But, and I need you to try and see it this way...Anselm's got loads of APCs and tanks. We have two APCs that we know of and armored trucks. They have automatic rail-weapons. We have Old-World styled rifles and pistols. They have numbers and cohesion. We do not. People might hate Anselm...But it's not enough to where they'd be willing to risk everything they've built join together and take him down. And what you're asking...Going to the Capital? Where Anselm's at his strongest?"

Placing a hand on Kaitrin's own, he added, "And even if we were to go to the Capital...Cora, it wouldn't be much better if we got caught. Anselm is cold, deranged. He would torture anyone, everyone you love to break you. Not even for information, just to make an example. And then he'd turn his sights on you, and make you pray for death. It's how he keeps his people in line...And he's even worse for those that actively resist him." From the way he was talking, it was almost like he was speaking from experience; and in a way he was, but that was a long time ago.

"I guess what I'm saying, Cora, is that what you're asking isn't something a lot of people are going to be rooting for. They might WANT to see Anselm destroyed, but finding unity in getting Anselm destroyed is going to be next to impossible. Especially when it comes to convincing the town leaders."

He knew how his words might sound, and as much as he wanted to try and lessen their impact, there was no way he could. Not without flat-out lying to her. And with something like this, she would either see right through it or believe him and wind up dead or imprisoned. He then leaned closer to the bars, hands wrapping around the chilly rods of iron, "Pearce, for right now, I just want you to get some rest. Alright? Cissa, Kaitrin and I are going to talk to Redstone about getting you out."

He then flashed her a gentle smile, adding as a small comfort (or so he hoped), "You have a good heart, Cora. A head as hard as diamond, but a good heart." He then nodded to his two companions, "We should go...Mayor's going to need some serious convincing, and it'll be better if it's three against one."

Cora's entire body ached and despite the bit of sleep she'd gotten, she knew she needed more. Her emotions were raw and her nerves were severed. Vishnu had made the first strike and now those she loved were making the final blow, trying to shatter her into a thousand pieces upon the cold, hard floor her tiny body was slumped over. Was this what Vishnu wanted? Was he getting his wish as she had her heart torn out for her to see as it bled in the hands of her friends?

No. Cora had to admit that it wasn't and that hurt worse. No, this was what he'd warned her about.

Tears stung Cora's eyes and she felt her chest squeeze as she tried to breathe. But the air was too thick and all she could do was choke. Kaitrin shifted slightly, her hand moving to take hold of Hemmingway's. She was suddenly terrified for her friend, worried about everything that was going on, the thoughts that were suddenly being brought out into the open. She glanced over at Hemmingway, her own eyes taking him in. There was something he was holding back, not telling them. But...what? She closed her eyes and hung her head, her dark hair falling in front of her face.

Kaitrin stood up behind Hemmingway, Cissa following suit. She knew that Hemmingway was at least right in that there was no way they could march into the Capital as they were—limited supplies and resources, no army, no...nothing. They'd be gunned down before they got within a mile of its borders. There was no way she'd ever forget what went down while they were out in the wastes. And that was just one APC. At the Capital, there'd be oh so much more! Cora looked crestfallen, her dark eyes dulling even in the dim light of her cell. It was chilling to watch her spirit crush into almost nothing.

"Please," Cora pleaded, her voice a mere whisper. Kaitrin caught it, but only just. She frowned as she looked at her friend. Even Cissa looked disturbed and raked an uneasy hand through her blonde hair.

"We'll be back later," Kaitrin promised, Cissa nodding in agreement.

"If not the Capital," Cora mumbled. "Then...Vishnu..." She couldn't believe what she was saying, what she was proposing. Already that tin-can had thrown her out and mocked her with glee. What would going back again accomplish? As she looked up at Hemmingway, Kaitrin and Cissa, she wondered if she shouldn't have gone alone. Maybe she should've brought them along in the first place.

Kaitrin's frown never left her face and she turned toward Hemmingway, the one person she knew had a chance of convincing Redstone of anything. Looking deeply into Cora's eyes, she tried her best to not lose her resolve. "Let Hemmingway talk to Redstone first. One step at a time."

Cora just hung her head and turned away.

With a heavy sigh, Kaitrin took a few steps back. Cissa just turned on her heels and began to head out. They had a job to do and that meant finding Redstone. As the three made to leave, Kaitrin held back and looked at Hemmingway. She swallowed lightly before speaking, her voice soft enough that Cissa couldn't hear. "What aren't you telling Cora? What aren't you telling us?"

Hemmingway made his way towards the Mayor's office, intent on getting Cora released as soon as possible; true, Cora had damaged her credibility by stealing, but it was for the right reasons. He saw it, Kaitrin and Narcissa saw it, and Ivan saw it. He could see where Redstone was coming from...But still, Pearce needed her friends and other townspeople to be with her. To support her and help her recover, help her readjust to everything.

The Caravan boss looked down at Kaitrin as she inquired what he was holding back. Damn it all, she was sometimes too perceptive for her own good. It wouldn't be an easy question to answer in any case; only Redstone knew who he was, what he had seen and done. And the man had overlooked it all and welcomed him to Hargard, using his experience in the field to help the people live a better life.

"Kaitrin...Just trust me when I say it's a long story. And not truly relevant to the situation at hand. I'll tell you some other time" was his reply, letting her know that it was something that he did want to talk about, but that it would be best to just leave it alone for now.

Regardless, the trio soon arrived at the Mayor's office; he seemed to be yelling quite loudly at someone, his burly fist striking the wood of his desk repeatedly in aggravation. And they got a good idea of who when he came running after Redstone (not so politely) told him to leave: Adrian Ellison, the night overwatch for Hargard's vehicle bay. No doubt the man got chewed out for letting a buggy get stolen from right under his nose. Letting out a slight sigh, he had a feeling that maybe this wasn't the best time.

But then, when would be a good time? Was a good time for this type of thing even possible with a man like Redstone?

Pushing the door open, he found the Mayor chewing heavily on yet another cigar; seemed the last one he had just couldn't take the full force when Redstone got worked up.

The man then peered up and saw the three of them, his eyes flashing with recognition. "Fuck. NO, HEMMINGWAY! Cora's spending a long time in there; hopefully this will get it through her thick skull that she isn't the hot shit she's deluded herself into thinking she is!" The Caravan boss just sighed, "Redstone, I get it, she does deserve something for stealing. But believe it or not, she was trying to help us. We need to take context into consideration here." The Mayor could only snort derisively, "If I did that, every nutjob feeling claustrophobic would be stealing buggies and claiming they were 'just trying to help'. I can't set that precedent, especially not with how close the Enforcers came to killing all of you."

Hemmingway grimaced a little; Redstone had a point, but there had to be something he could say. Something he could do. "Mayor, I get where you're coming from, but you're going to upset quite a few people if you don't let her out soon. And with the way things are going, she's overdue for a full mental shutdown. At the very least, allow her visitors more frequently. She needs to know that she can have people to come back to when she gets out...." That last part was added with a fair bit of heat, as if the Caravan boss was threatening to break her out if it came down to it.

Redstone however, just snorted, "Your idle threats are getting softer, Hem. Before I might actually believe you would try to go behind my back. But now as it is, you know I'm right. Just like I was right that she wasn't cut out for the Caravan; you keep trusting her, you're going to get yourself killed."

Trust him? Well, Kaitrin knew she'd always trust Hemmingway. The guy should never doubt her loyalty. Not once had she given him reason to and more than anyone, along with Cora, he'd proven his worth as someone she'd trust with her life. She'd always have his back if he asked...hell, even if he didn't. And it stung that he was still holding back after she dared to confront him when she knew damned well there was something he wasn't telling everyone. She hung back slightly, her breath catching in her throat as her usual stoic demeanor threatened to crack, shattering into a million pieces. Instead, she just cleared her throat and blinked back the tears she refused to let fall.

"Right," Kaitrin whispered, terrified her voice would falter if she spoke too loudly. "Another time." She wouldn't press Hemmingway. She wanted him to tell her on his own. When he was ready.

But it didn't stop the pain.

Kaitrin silently followed Hemmingway and Cissa back to Redstone's office. It wasn't hard to find blowhard. He was already laying in to poor Ellison. She frowned at the sight of the poor sap taking the verbal beating. It wasn't his fault. Cora was sneaky when she had her mind set and Redstone should have more than one guy posted on watch. Knowing that Enforcers were out and about this far into the wastes should've put the man in his guard and given poor Ellison some help. Jesus, they all needed to start coming together and stop acting like someone was going to stab you in the back.

Kaitrin frowned at that thought. She knew it was a bit naive to think so idealistically, but she couldn't help herself. Not in that fleeting moment as she turned to glance at Hemmingway, Redstone's shouts filling the room and all while Cora was locked up for doing something they all knew was in everyone's best interest.

Cora. The girl had fire. Spirit. An innocence that she sometimes found infectious and often times envied. But at the same time, she was well aware that threads of awakening needed to shed its ugly taint. However, there was a lot of merit to her recent stunt and it made her question so many things.

Redstone was firing away in Adrian's face. Kaitrin hung back, her thoughts going back and forth between Hemmingway and Cora. Meanwhile, Cissa stood there with a grimace on her lips and her cool, blue eyes slowly narrowing into slits. She was annoyed and showed it more so by casually bringing up her hand to study her nails. It was her way of saying, 'Are you done yet?'

But it didn't take long for Redstone to turn his attention to the Caravan Boss. It was hard not to give the man your full attention whenever he was around. Kaitrin suddenly found herself biting down on the inside of her cheek until she drew blood. Cissa feigned a yawn and takes a hand through her long blonde hair. The scar marring her pretty face stood out harshly in the lighting of the room. The two men faced off. Kaitrin felt her insides twist, while Cissa seethed.

"That's it," Cissa spat, slamming a fist down on Redstone's desk. Or, as close to a desk as he had. "I can't just stand here and listen to such bullshit." She let a finger trace the scar along her face. "See this?" she shrieked. "Yeah. Thought you might." She nodded, her body trembling. "My ass was saved because of Cora." She turned her gaze from Redstone and chuckled. "Can't believe I'm defending the bitch, but shit. I'd trust her on any caravan run." She looked back at the man, her blue eyes unblinking. "She could've left me. But...but she didn't. We...we worked together." She then looked at Kaitrin and Hemmingway. "We all did."

Kaitrin nodded and took a step forward, brushing against Hemmingway as she moved to be beside Narcissa. "Cora was an asset. I know everyone would say so who went on that run." Damn it, she could feel her eyes pricking again. "It was how we worked as a team that we managed to survive. Yes, we had help. But...we're stronger together."

Cissa nodded. "Don't break what doesn't need fixing."

"And you're breaking a spirit in there," Kaitrin added. "That's the worst offense I know. To crush someone who only wants good. She just needs guidance." She dared a look at Hemmingway before turning back to Redstone.

"Don't we all?" Narcissa chimed in as she crossed her arms and leaned back against the wall.

Rage crept across Redstone's face as now the resident bitch Narcissa started in, showing the scar she'd gotten. So the little tart lied, did she...Probably tried to save her reputation as a Caravan runner. Not that it would have made a difference; she was still one of his best and he wouldn't have kicked her out for one screw-up. Not a small screw-up like that compared to what Cora did, at least.

And to top it all of, Kaitrin of all people spoke up, voicing some stupid nonsense about breaking a spirit. Fine by him; he secretly hoped that she was so shattered by this she'd know better than to be stupid again. And that was exactly what she was when she stole from him: Stupid.

"Redstone, can't you see you're going about this all wrong? Cora's not a bad person. A little overzealous? Maybe, but I wasn't exactly the choir boy when we first met...Was I, Mayor?" Hemmingway spoke up, a rare but incredibly dangerous glare flashing through his eyes, his tone dripping with a lethal chill all the same. And it was at this, Redstone knew exactly what he was referring to, and noticeably froze, looking well and truly afraid The Mayor loathed getting that look; truth be told, he wondered at times if the man he put so much trust in would flip and turn on everyone here.

God, he didn't even want to think of the implications if that came about.

Giving a sigh of defeat, Redstone thumped a meaty fist on his desk a few times as his gaze shifted toward the top of his desk, before long giving a frustrated slam that was quite jarring. His teeth clenched; damn it all, now he was going to look like a fool, especially after all that talk of letting her sit without release. "Fine, fine...You all have made your point" he growled reluctantly, grabbing a piece of paper and starting to write on it with an ink pen. A commodity that was found from several wrecked Enforcer supply shipments, the work of the Gearheads mostly. How Anselm managed to manufacture these things was beyond him; they'd had a hell of a time even getting textile mills and electrical generators working.

Shoving it towards Hemmingway, he just growled, "Here, go give this to the jailer. Little shit be better grateful to have friends like you." The Caravan boss just grinned, "Thanks, Redstone." before slapping him on the shoulder, "Trust me, you won't regret this. You'll be glad to have her out of a cell."

And just like that, he held in his hands a means of getting Cora free. The girl might have screwed up, but caging her like an animal wasn't going to make things better. The Old World prison systems tended to make people worse, not better after all. He led the way back to the jail, a slight bounce in his step at having succeeded.

"Hey, I just want to thank you two for sticking up for Cora like you did. Especially you, Cissa. I know you and her haven't been on the best of terms, but it means a lot that you stuck it to Redstone the way you did." he then said, directing that last bit to the blonde while giving her an honest smile.

"But when we do get her out, I want you both to promise me something...Don't entertain any idea she has of going to the Capital. She's tougher than she looks, but believe me, she wouldn't make two inches near there." Again, there was the hint that Hemmingway knew more than he was telling, but the last encounter would likely be met with similar reluctance to discuss.

Regardless, he soon arrived at the jail and approached the guard, handing the scruffy-haired brunette male - a middle-aged individual dressed in combat fatigues and Old World riot armor sans helmet - the writ of release from the Mayor. "I take it you three had something to do with this?" the guard asked, to which Hemmingway stated "Yes...That a problem?" The guard shook his head, "Not in the slightest...She doesn't deserve getting thrown in the hole, not as roughly as she did. Come on, let's get her out of here."

And when the four reached Cora's cell, the guard reached for the key in his pocket and undid the lock. "Hey, Pearce...Get up now, your time here's done." the guard said in a gentle tone, Hemmingway adding "You heard him, Cora. Sorry it took so long; Redstone's a stubborn bastard, I'll give him that."

As Redstone's face turned different shades of colors, Kaitrin glanced from him to Hemmingway and back again. She turned thoughtful as her insides warmed, her heart still beating quite frantically as the mayor began scribbling on the paper what she knew would be Cora's ticket out of that hole. Cissa just rocked back on her heels, hands placed across her chest as she watched on, proud to be looming over the blowhard as the three of them outwitted the guy together—as a team.

Kaitrin felt an icy chill creep along her flesh as she gave Hemmingway a look of thanks. He was still holding back, that much was plain. And just what had he meant with all that nonsense about how he'd used to be? Whatever it was, it struck a chord with Redstone, but Cissa seemed unfazed. The blonde was just happy that they'd overpowered the one man holding Cora's freedom in his hands...they'd won, the odds against them.

Together, they seemed unstoppable.

The three walked out of Redstone's office, Kaitrin looking over at the Caravan Boss with 'new' eyes. There was so much she—they—didn't know and she found herself wanting to change that. She hung her head slightly, while Narcissa just smiled, the busty blonde's cheeks reddened by the compliments she was receiving for a job well done. Kaitrin glanced up, her eyes drawn to the scar that ran along Cissa's face. It was obvious that she was glad to have actually helped, have assisted where others perhaps could not. It was out of character for the blonde, but Kaitrin wasn't about to complain.

Small steps.

Kaitrin placed a gentle hand on Cissa's shoulder. "Hem is right," she added. "Thank you." Narcissa just shrugged, though the heat that had made its way to her cheeks swept further along her neck. "I don't think he saw that coming." Kaitrin's comments earned them all a soft giggle from the blonde.

"Hell," Cissa said. "I didn't see it coming."

Kaitrin's smile only grew and soon they were all back where they'd started. She could see Cora huddled up in her corner of the jail cell. Brushing her raven-colored hair away from her eyes, she let them adjust to the dim light. Cora still looked terrible, like she was trying to sleep, but the task was impossible. It was understandable given everything. She probably felt alone, abandoned. Totally misunderstood.

Understanding Hemmingway's orders, Kaitrin moved closer to the cell door as the jailer went to open it. Cissa took a step forward, a hand reaching out to grab onto one of the bars for balance. Kaitrin knew that Cora's first instinct would be to set her plan in motion. But Hemmingway was right. Cora wouldn't make it even remotely close to the Capital. They were outnumbered and Anselm's enforcers had far better weaponry and armor than they could hope to imagine.

Except...

"S-stubborn?" Cora stammered, her head lolling about as she looked up into the faces of her friends. She smiled weakly as she slowly put together just what was happening, what they were suddenly doing back.

"That's one way to describe him," Narcissa interjected. "Now get your ass up. I don't want to haul you outta here." She smiled and flicked her long locks.

Kaitrin rolled her eyes, though she knew Cissa meant well. But Cora was immediately snapping to attention. She scrambled up to her feet, her eyes frantic as she looked at them all along with the jailer. She was free...free to leave, to go as she pleased.

The Capital. That had been the plan.

"V-vishnu..." Cora whispered, her throat sore, her voice hoarse.

Kaitrin arched a brow, while Cissa yawned.

"Vishnu!" Cora looked at the three and hurried toward Hemmingway, her hands grabbing onto his shirt. "Please...please!" she begged.

"This isn't a good look for you," Cissa stated. Kaitrin just moved toward the pair and tried to ease Cora off the Caravan Boss. Cora blushed, her grip easing up. "I..." she began, desperately trying to find the words. "We have to go back."

"Back?" Kaitrin asked. "To Vishnu?"

Narcissa snorted. "The thing that sent you crawling back empty handed and landed you in jail." The blonde couldn't help herself as she slapped her hand against her forehead, totally dumbstruck by what Cora was suggesting.

"Do you really think that's a good idea?" Kaitrin asked, her tone soft and calm.

"I know I sound crazy and...and maybe I am," Cora went on. "But maybe that bastard will listen if it's not just me." She turned her gaze down to the floor and took a step back from Hemmingway and Kaitrin. "I don't think he likes me much," she added, her arms moving to wrap about her middle. "But maybe if another went. Maybe then he'd listen. Maybe then he'd help."

Kaitrin felt her insides writhing with every word her friend uttered. It was a risky plan an outlandish idea. But she couldn't think of anything better and it was obvious that Cora needed something to sate the moment. With a soft sigh, she turned toward Hemmingway. "I'd go if it meant possible help," she offered. "What do you think?"

Hem just grinned as Cora seemed to brighten up; seemed that showing she wasn't alone had a terrific effect on her. But then again, maybe he was getting his hopes up. Letting out a sigh as she gripped his shirt and begged to go see this Vishnu character, he let out a sigh of exasperation; she was really persistent, more than he realized.

He could only give Kaitrin a look of gratitude as she helped loosen the deathgrip Cora had on his clothes, his gaze shifting back to Cora as she tried to - in her own way - get someone to try and talk to this Vishnu character.

Which was all well and good, but there was still one issue: How the hell would they find this guy? The only reason Hem guessed that he had come last time was because he'd somehow known they were in trouble. And based on what he'd heard from the others, he didn't seem the type that wanted to be bothered by anyone. Let alone just Pearce herself.

Placing a hand on Kaitrin's shoulder, he just said, "No...I'll go. I have some questions for this guy. But the big thing is...Where the hell do I start?"

Back in the apothecary, the elderly gentleman that secretly supplied the Queen with her precious Dust was busy making another batch. An Old-World dental mask covered his face, clear goggles covering his eyes, gloves and long sleeves covering the rest of his exposed skin. While it really only dissolved in the moister areas of the body such as the eyes, mouth and nose there was no way he would be taking a chance being exposed to it. Plus, the chemicals needed to make the stuff were highly toxic. Even now, he had several fans to direct the vapors to specially designed tanks. These were serving the purpose of condensers and gravometric settlers in order to reuse the reagents.

Speaking of which, he was nearly running out of Death Seed; where was that bloody Rickertt anyway? The fool better not have touched the plant with his bare hands again, the old man thought to himself.

But just then, he heard several knocks at the door. One, a three second pause, then two more. Another four seconds, then one last knock. Rickertt, finally.

"Come in" said the apothecary in his same old tired voice. At this, a man dressed in a heavy tan cloak and face wrap with sun-blocker goggles, thin threads of his fiery orange hair visible beneath the edge of his hood. Even now, the young man held up a rag over his already covered nose and mouth to block out the smell and vapors. "About time" the old man grumbled, Rickertt replying, "You know how hard it is to get this shit in, you geezer? Anselm's so fucking paranoid he's searching everyone for contraband; I keep having to change routes to get past the patrols. Doesn't help that we're right in the thick of the Enforcer deployment zone."

"If you have time to whine, you have time to give me what I need. You know how the mistress gets when she doesn't get her 'sugar'." the apothecary stated plainly, using the euphemism for Dust as a means of telling the idiot 'Keep your voice down'. Rickertt rolled his eyes and dropped the satchel carelessly, the old man shouting, "Idiot! What if the seeds got crushed?" before growling "Do you know how toxic Death Seed is? A pinprick's worth will kill you before you could draw another breath! The volatility would kill us both in an instant if they ruptured!"

Wrenching the satchel open with his gloved hands, he then found the gems he was needing: A cluster of beautiful, opalescent orbs that belied their lethal nature. "Wonderful..." he muttered, his tired eyes giving off a very satisfied gleam before reaching into his pocket. "Here...And a bonus for the other compounds you brought as well. I imagine raiding a Gearhead supply depot is no small feat these days." the apothecary then threw a small bag of gold coins, freshly minted from the bullion processed just weeks earlier. The apothecary then began to sort out several small vials, shooing the young man off as he prepared to make another fresh batch of Wraith Dust. Maybe with this, the Queen might be more...persuadable. At this rate, her desperation might just very well get the better of her.

"Y-you?" Kaitrin asked out loud, a dark brown arching upward. Narcissa looked over at Hemmingway in surprise, while Cora just shook her head. "You shouldn't go alone," she stated, which earned a soft whimper from Cora. "At least one of us should go with you. Have your back in case there's trouble," she went on, worry etched in the lines of her face. "Just...something."

Cora worried her bottom lip as Cissa paced. "I'm all for someone going back and giving that bucket of bolts of piece of their mind. He's caused enough trouble."

Kaitrin glared at Cissa. Cora only hung her head. "No, Vishnu was right," she admitted, though she didn't want to. "But it's me he won't want to see. Just me." Her eyes stung slightly at the thought. She'd ruined everything with her earlier stunt. "He hates me, but..." she looked around at Kaitrin, Cissa and Hemmingway. "But not you. Not any of you."

Kaitrin frowned. It was clear that Cora was distraught, feeling guilt among other things over what had happened when she'd snuck out into the night. She looked at Hemmingway, her blue eyes trying to read his. "I don't like the idea of you going alone. Cora shouldn't have done it either. It's too risky. It's...just be careful."

*Capital City*

River waited in the shadows just outside Anselm's fortress. The King and his Enforcers often referred to the tremendous structure as a 'castle'. But she knew differently. The thing was monstrous, equipped and ready for the worst of battles. It would be insane for anyone or anything to dare take on the mighty palace housing the royal couple that ruled everyone and everything with an iron fist. She snorted at the idea of some idiot rebel being so bold as to infiltrate Anselm's security. It would be impossible.

Or...would it?

It was a question River asked herself each and every day. It was one of the reasons why she waited outside like she did every time that damned fool, Rickertt, dropped off his payload. The man knew the castle well, was able to get in and out whenever he needed to see the apothecary. It hadn't been easy finding out just what it was he was delivering to the old bastard. But a little drop of the panties and slip of the shirt and Rickertt was telling her everything. Of course, she didn't mind entirely. Rickertt did have a few things going for him. But it certainly wasn't in the intelligence department. That, or the guy thought with the wrong head far too easily.

Regardless, River knew exactly what she needed.

The sun was starting to lower. Good. River was sick and tired of the heat and a low sun meant more shadows—all the better to hide. She pushed off her hood knowing that she was in the clear, safe enough from wary eyes. She heaved a sigh and leaned back against the wall of the building she stood next to. Peering up, her dark eyes fixed on the awning for a moment and then down on the ground beneath her feet.

"Hurry up, Rickertt," River mumbled as she kicked at a nearby stone. Her adrenaline was rising. She needed to hear how his drop off went. Next time...next time, he'd take her along with him and she knew exactly how to convince him to let her tag along.

~~~

Everything seemed dull somehow and Helena wanted to feel alive. She looked out the window and upon the city glistening below. Enforcers were guarding the perimeter, stationed perfectly at every weak spot that seemed to exist along the castle's boundaries. Tanks were at the ready, lined up in perfect precision, always ready for battle. Never again would they be taken off guard. A small breeze blew through the open window, the air warm as it caressed her skin. From the corner of her eyes, she saw the shadows moving, ebbing and flowing in gentle waves, teasing the light as they tried to come together.

Helena twitched, goose bumps forming along her arms. She shivered despite the heat and backed away from the window. She could almost taste it on her tongue...that sweet Dust she needed and craved. Just where was that damnable apothecary? He'd said she'd have it by nightfall and the sun was sinking fast. Slowly, the sky was beginning to streak with odd hues of purple and red.

So dull...so very, very dull.

Helena turned and saw the dagger resting on the sill. For a fleeting moment, she imagined the blade pressing against her milky white flesh. The luscious sting would be all too exquisite as crimson beads dotted her skin, forming neat ribbons as they trickled down along her arms, her legs. Just then, her entire body shuddered. What had she been thinking?!

Morbid thoughts. Dark, beautiful thoughts. Dust. She wanted it, needed it.

"Anselm, my love?" Helena asked as she turned and picked up the nearby blade. She let the weight of the handle rest against her palm. "Do you ever feel like you're in a fog? Like, none of this real?" She turned a bit more, her eyes finding his. With a few tiny steps, she was standing in front of him, her head tilted back as she looked up into his face. "Like our very lives are not our own and will be taken away?"

Helena held up the dagger and drew it along her bared chest. Almost immediately, tiny drops of scarlet formed a thin line along the pale expanse of flesh. She let out a soft hiss, the sting reminding her that she was alive...they both were. Carefully, she handed Anselm the knife and smiled.

Hemmingway narrowed his eyes as Cora recounted what was obviously a very trying experience for her; why she put so much effort into this Vishnu was beyond him. But then, he was recovering from getting shot through the heart, so he wasn't exactly interacting with it in the first place. And really, it was one reason - aside from all the good Vishnu's 'son' Ivan did for the town - that he needed to see the bot for himself.

"Doesn't matter if it's a good idea or not; we go out there in force again and we'll be painting a bigger target for ourselves. I need to go alone on this." he then replied; while it might seem suicidal, he was one of those that knew the Wastes like the back of his hand. And plus...If things went south, he didn't want anyone else getting caught in the crossfire. Lord help him if they found out about his history.

"Anyway...I'm off to talk to Redstone. Kaitrin, since you're my number two, I'll need you to hold down the fort in case any Caravan runs suddenly come up that need doing." he then stated authoritatively; truth be told, the plan he had in mind to get Vishnu to meet him was batshit crazy. There was a very high likelihood that he could get killed...Or worse.

And without saying another word, he walked off to go see Redstone. Already dreading what the Mayor's reaction would be when he told him what he was about to do.

Now that Rickertt was free of his damning cargo, he could waltz on out of the castle without worry; it was well known that he was a scavenger that reported almost exclusively to the apothecary. Even if he was stopped by one of the guards, they would find his satchel completely empty save for the gold coins he'd received as payment.

There was always a plenitude of wild herbs out there, and some of them just didn't grow well in the greenhouses of the Capital. Strange as it was, they flourished in this new arid climate, the centuries of evolution shifting their physiology to an unimaginable degree. And while he certainly wasn't the sharpest knife in the drawer, he was more clever and slick than most would give him credit for.

One weakness he did have was women, and he was about to be reminded of that very soon. Right as he stepped outside, he let loose the head coverings to reveal his strong jaw and handsome face, the gold-flecked green of his eyes shining a little in the coming moonlight.

"Hurry up, Rickertt."

That voice made him freeze as he turned and looked, only to see none other than River standing up right. Damn it all, of all the women...It just had to be her. It didn't help that she was drop-dead gorgeous in her own way, nor did it help that she knew how to use her charm to get most men to do nearly anything she wanted. No doubt she was going to pester him to letting her tag along, but he wasn't going to let her play him. Not again.

"Fuck that noise" he thought to himself as he tried to sneak off; however, his foot accidentally knocked over another stone, making it crack against another portion of the castle wall. He knew he fucked up, and immediately started to bolt. He would try to outmaneuver her, using his knowledge of parkour to cut into the narrower alleyways...But then again, she'd always had him beat in terms of raw speed.

Anselm peered over several reports, his eyes scrutinizing every detail imaginable. His staff often wondered why the King did not simply delegate the repetitive duty to a scribe, but Anselm quickly explained that it was his duty to make sure things were in order.

One went on detailing the rotations of troops and equipment along the perimeter of the Capital, the use of resources to defend the fortress he and several thousand of his loyal subjects called home.

Another brought in reports of captured Resistance assets and related casualty figures from the engagements. Naturally, the animals managed to score a few hits...Before they were soundly crushed by the Enforcers' superior firepower, training and technology.

And another still concerned their latest endeavor: The building of a device to track and eliminate Vishnu. That gold-plated menace was becoming quite a thorn in his side, and if it was not dealt with soon...His people might think him weak. And he would not allow that to happen.

However, his eyes shifted upward as he saw his ethereal gem standing in the window, looking out over the city; and most of all, he would do all this to ensure that he kept *her* safe. Safe from ever being used again, from ever coming to harm. Breathing a sigh, he stood to go join her, see what was on her mind. But before he get top close, he paused as she picked up one of the ornamental daggers he kept on display. "Helena...?" he asked, trailing off as she posed her question to him. What an odd thing to ask, but then she was always the philosophical sort.

And her intentions became a little clearer as she drew the blade shallowly across her skin, proffering the dagger handle first. So, she seemed to want something from him. A particular something that had taken some getting used, having never done it before in his life.

"Guards, take your leave." Anselm stated authoritatively, the two men at the door nodding and leaving the pair in peace, the heavy metal slabs sliding closed behind them. "Doors lock" he then said lustfully, a hungry gleam in his eyes as they were sealed from the rest of the world. "I do not know, my sweet Helena, about the things you ask. But I do know..." he paused to take her forcefully, a strong hand coming to grip her rear and press her closer to him, "that you are mine, and I will never let anything on this Earth take you from me. Whether everything around us is fake or not means little, so long as you are here with me."

Spinning her around, she would find her back pressed against his firm body, the knife now resting in Anselm's forceful grip. Slowly, the edge of the blade cut the thin fabric of her dress, revealing more of her creamy skin, the droplets forming mesmerizing rivulets as they were allowed free flow down her chest and stomach. "Forgive me, dear, if I ruin this dress; I will gladly have the tailor make a new one for you." he whispered, kissing along the soft flesh of her neck before holding the blade up once more, revealing the stained crimson edge as it sunk ever so shallowly into the opposite side of her neck, drawing ever so gently so as to create a delightful sting and let just a few drops of blood bead from the wound.

*Hargard Settlement*

Cora slumped slightly causing Kaitrin to catch her friend before she fell onto the floor. It was clear that she was so very tired and had been through so very much. Cissa just sighed and moved to help her dark-haired counterpart, her opposite in so many ways. Funny how they were now suddenly fighting for a common cause, only she wished Cora wasn't so damned heavy.

"C'mon," Cissa said to Cora, trying her best to drag her along. "You look like shit."

Cora just groaned, her weight shifting from Kaitrin to the blonde.

"Well, you do. Let's go and get you some real rest." At that, Cissa began leading Cora out and on to where she needed to be for the time being—home.

Kaitrin hung back slightly and turned toward the Caravan Boss. She really wasn't liking the idea that he go off into the wastes by himself. But it was clear that he'd made up his mind. It was set and his decision was final. There was nothing she could do or say to change anything, not when he was like this.

What was he holding back...and why?

"I'll stay," Kaitrin said softly. "I'll take care of things," she continued. Ugh! Why were her eyes hurting her again? She blinked several times, determined to hold back the tears that rarely fell from her eyes. "But...be careful." She placed a hand on Hemmingway's arm for a long moment before she turned to go after Cora and Narcissa. As she walked away, she felt a feeling of dread form deep in the pit of her stomach as the worry and fear began to course through her veins.

*Capital City*

"So, he's going to play that way," River mumbled, a tiny smile tugging at the corners of her lips. Without further hesitation, she sprung into action. She was off, running quickly to catch up to Rickertt before he got away. That man knew she'd be there. She always was. She had to give him credit for finally realizing that she knew his schedule now. Then again, she made it a point to keep a close eye on anyone interacting with the royal couple. It was a matter of survival after all.

River zig-zagged through the people meandering the streets, leapt over any obstacle that barred her way. Her eyes were set on one thing only—Rickertt. And he wasn't going anywhere. It was easy moving through the people, being small and lithe had its advantages. She saw the fiery-haired man turn down an alley and she nearly laughed out loud. While the brute was busy earning paydays, she was busy making mental maps. She knew the streets of Capital City well and he'd made a fatal mistake.

Giggling softly, River turned down an adjacent street—one she knew would cut off the man she was seeking. He'd think he'd lost her, but she knew better. She knew right where he was going and right where it would end.... With him trapped between a newly erected construct and herself. Oh yes, it pays to pay attention to everything!

River darted along the narrow street and then cut down a small space that led her to right where she knew Rickertt would be. She jumped over a small landing of stone steps and was soon standing in front of the man, a wall to his back.

"That bit of exercise was fun," River teased as she slowly moved toward the larger man. "But I'm sure there are other ways to burn off that energy," she added. She flicked her dark hair and unzipped the dark jacket she donned. Underneath she wore a thin tank top. As she peeled the garment from her sticky, sweaty skin, she let out an audible sigh of relief. "Much better. Wouldn't you say?" It wasn't a question. She was demanding a compliment. Her face said it all as she smirked and took another step closer, her hands tying the jacket about her slim waist. She reached up and started to tie up her hair, wild tendrils framing her face, her large breasts straining against the thin material of her shirt as she stretched. "Well, Rickertt?"

~~~

His voice made her shiver as he ordered the guards to leave. Anselm had that way about him, a presence, an air and manner. It had always made her weak in the knees. As he ordered the doors locked, she knew she was done for and that she'd love every last minute of the spiral downward. His hands were strong, firm—oh yes, he knew what he wanted—as they gripped her slight body close. She didn't fight him. She had no desire to. As he teased the knife against her body, the blade's edge slowly ripping the fabric of her gown, she felt her body immediately react. It didn't take long for the cool blade to caress her skin, the sweet sting bringing her that euphoria, while Anselm's hands made it clear she was his.

"You are always forgiven, my love," Helena whispered, her lips brought to Anselm's in a deep and possessive kiss. Her body molded to his as he held her, pulling her close. She felt the burn of the blade as it did its work on yet another part of her willing body. Anselm worked her like the instrument she was—his instrument, special and cherished. He knew exactly what would set her off, drive her to the point of madness. She pulled away slightly and caught sight of the dagger, her blood dripping along its edge. Unable to restrain herself, she moved forward and licked at the bright red liquid. Her tongue poked through swollen lips, delighting in the metallic taste of the crimson as she took it into her mouth and swallowed it down.

Helena gasped, panting as her excitement only grew. She reached up and clutched onto Anselm's shoulders, desperation just starting to settle in. Blood and pain always did this to her, making her senses go wild.

"Anselm..." Helena whispered as she leaned forward and kissed his neck with bloodstained lips, her body moving against his as the heat within rose and the cut fabric slowly began to fall.

Rickertt tried his damnedest to outrun her, using every trick he knew to get her off his tail; a few times, he thought he'd lost her only to see her behind himl. Damn it, he'd been out of the Capital too long, and that fucking Anselm was always changing shit. Building something, tearing down another, changing the appearance of yet another. And this time he was gone way too long; most of his old shortcuts had been either blocked off or served now as entryways to newer construction projects.

But finally, he caught a break. It was one of his oldest routes, and the path was still clear. The best part, it was like a central corridor for a maze; the main path had several splits, and if he could just lose her at one junction, there was no way she'd ever find him! And he'd be scot-free to do as he pleased again!

And it seemed for a moment, that his wish came true; taking a hard left, he looked back and saw her gone. Not one to gloat just yet, he took one more detour just to be absolutely sure. Unfortunately, right as he hit his stride he happened to be looking, rejoicing at losing the dead weight when he slammed into a new wall and fell on his ass hard. "Sonofa...." he grumbled, looking up to see this new barrier. When the fuck was this put in?! That was his initial thought.

But before he could backtrack, there was River again. And she was mocking him, already shedding her heavier clothes. And that tone: She was demanding he acknowledge her beauty. And damn it all, he could already see her dark nipples poking against the thin shirt, her sweat bringing out the faintest flash of titflesh as it clung to her sizable rack. Thankfully he was wearing heavier pants today, so she probably wouldn't notice that it was having quite a profound effect on him...Of course, she'd already gotten first hand at how blessed he was. He could hardly walk the day after, the horny bitch! Though in his mind, it was worth it, if he was being completely honest.

"Fuck you, River." he growled, tensing up as he tried to figure out a way out; smaller she might be, but her size was hardly indicative of her strength. And even if he was bigger than her, for whatever reason he couldn't bring himself to strike her. He was a seasoned scavenger, he'd earned his daily bread by fighting tooth and nail to get that old bastard his fucking Dust ingredients. Like hell he was going to let this big-breasted bimbo follow him,

"I already told you, asshole, I work alone!" he said, taking a step back as he added, "I don't care how many times you screw me or show off your body, I'm best by myself!" But still she approached and eventually his broad powerful back was firmly pressed against the wall that stopped his escape.

Anselm grinned as she melted in his touch; gods be damned, this woman was the angel he'd sought for what felt like an eternity. She was his salvation, the light of his world. Even more so as she pressed against him, hips rubbing against his own in increasing fervor. Admittedly, this quirk of hers was something that had taken some getting used to; hell, he didn't think his old self would have ever stomached the mere thought of using a knife on a sexual partner.

But now, with Helena having explained how it worked, and how to truly use the knife...It was a brand new world. And the passion she gave after doing this to her, made him feel more alive than almost anything else could.

"Helena, my angel..." Anselm murmered back, pressing her closer to him as he ever so tenderly drew the blade down her back, tracing twin identical lines near her shoulder blades as if to allow real angel wings to spring forth. It was funny how few cuts it seemed to take to get her this excited, but then, he wasn't one to complain. Especially when she kissed his neck, igniting the raging fires within even more.

And as her dress fell away completely, she was left completely bare against him, his own arousal making itself quite known through his trousers as he led them to the extravagant four-poster bed of their quarters. The sheets of red silk did much to accentuate her ethereal appearance, especially as he pushed her down to the bed and began to embrace her much more heatedly.

"My schedule's completely clear, my beloved...The night is ours to do with as we please." he growled lustfully in her ear, his heated lips capturing her own and tasting the sweet iron flavor of her life fluid. True, they were free to enjoy each other to their heart's content...Dear Anselm unaware that his Queen was not quite as pure as he would have liked.

Even in the shadows of the alley, it was still damned hot. River felt the sweat along her skin and relished the slightly cool sensation as a stray breeze managed to find its way among the buildings to where she stood directly in front of Rickertt. She clucked as she took another step forward and shook her head, dark tendrils sticking to the sides of her face. Small beads of sweat dripped down along her spine, her chest causing her tank top to cling to her body, hugging her curves with every move.

"Alone?" River spoke aloud, her expression turning thoughtful before a wicked grin split her face. Her lips were plump and full, begging to be kissed. She parted them slightly as she looked directly into Rickertt's eyes, the tips of her nipples just barely brushing against him as she stood before him, her neck straining to look up. "I bet your hand can't do this," she teased.

Just then, River reached out and grabbed Rickertt's well-endowed crotch. She was perfectly aware of just how much asset the man had. Pity he had to be so difficult sometimes. Truly, he could make this easier. Then again, the challenge had its merits. Her tiny hand gently squeezed, massaging him through his thick pants, She took another step forward, her breasts squishing up against his body, beads of sweat pooling between her cleavage as her dark eyes met his.

"Why be alone, Rickertt?" River asked. "We both know you don't want that." At that, she stood on her tip-toes and gently bit down on his lower lip, sucking it into her mouth as she went in for what she wanted, her other hand moving to clutch the hem line of his shirt. She gave him another squeeze through his pants, her knee moving to part his legs to give her hand better access. "And I don't want that either."

~~~

Helena looked up into Anselm's eyes, hungry just for her. A shiver moved along her skin causing her body to shudder beneath him, her arms reaching up to pull him close. More than anything, she welcomed the weight of his body against hers. Her legs slowly parted as she sank only deeper against the plush red of the sheets beneath her. She was his angel, his beloved and she'd do whatever it took to see he remained in power.

Out of the corner of her eye, Helena saw the shadows ebb and flow, swaying in the heated frenzy that only Anselm could instill. She clamped her eyes shut, her hands moving to push off his robes. He had far too much on and she longed to feel his flesh against her own. Writhing beneath him, the sting of her wounds still burned, sweet sensations driving her mad with lust and desire. She whimpered softly, afraid to open her eyes and see the shadows move. No. She wouldn't share this moment with them...this was for Anselm!

For them!

Desperate, her hips began to buck. Helena opened her eyes, willing the shadows away. The things were gone...for now. And she felt safe. Safe with her Anselm, in their sanctuary. The smell of the blood was making her dizzy, so strong and delicious and wonderful.

"I'm yours this night, my love," Helena whispered. "Please," she begged, her eyes urging her husband on, while her hands clawed at his cloak. "Let's leave no corner unmarked, no sheet unsoiled..." She whimpered softly before nibbling his ear, eager as her bare body burned beneath his.

Rickertt grimaced as she moved closer, her smaller but no less curvy helping to fuel the growing burn in his groin. Even now, he felt his pants starting to tighten, holding down the stiff length as much as possible. Only for her hand to wrap halfway around the top and stroke it through the fabric, making his hips buck at the surge of pleasure. It didn't help that her sweat now made her impressive bust almost completely visible through the shirt, her dark-brown buds encircled by a silver dollar-sized area of similarly tinted skin showing quite clearly.

"Damn you, River..." he grumbled right before she kissed, her teeth gently nibbling on his lower lip as she pressed her buxom form against him. Her knee would feel quite a hard thick lump against it, the friction making him whimper in pleasure. And truth be told, he wasn't even fully hard yet; he didn't know why he was this big, but honestly it sometimes felt like he was going to pass out.

This time, to the lack of knowledge of involved parties, things would be quite different. Little did the scavenger realize that some of the fumes he inhaled would serve him quite well for what the seductress before him had in store.

"B..Because, you always tease me like this. It's getting old real quick" he said in a flat-out lie, his stiff flesh starting to pulse as it continued to harden and thicken even though part of him wanted her to just get lost. Truth be told though, he was drawn to her like a moth to the flame. She held a strength about herself, and her being this pretty had him secretly wanting her. Not to mention the times they'd done it before, she completely rocked his world. "And you thin because you have these" he paused to roughly grab one of her almost-too-large breasts, his palm roughly pressing the shirt fabric against the semi-pert bud "That guys should just fall head over heels for you."

Anselm grinned as Helena spoke, her voice saturated with a lust that fueled the flame of passion in his own soul. Dear Gods, she made him mad with wanting...To plunder her angelic form, to take her in every way imaginable as they had done before. To, in her own words, leave no sheet unsoiled.

However, as his lips came to seal over hers, he felt an odd sensation creep over him. The blood that she had licked from the knife still had trace amounts of Dust that had yet to fully leave her system. And being as potent as it was, even a slight hint of it had the potential to completely overwhelm someone who had yet to experience it at all. The first thing he felt was a sense of confinement; these blasted robes were like a coffin, and he soon more than eagerly disrobed with the help of his beloved, leaving their naked bodies writing in bliss against each other.

The next came a shocking jump in body awareness; he could feel each nerve ending, each inch of exposed skin come alive with delightful sensation. His heart beat like a war drum in his ears as he began to grind even more feverishly against his wife and Queen. The Dust seemed to serve the additional purpose of heightening his already raging libido to even newer heights, driving his lizard brain forward to scratch the most annoyingly frustrating itch. Evidenced as he ground his hard member against her, the swollen tip brushing against her netherlips as he readied himself to plunge as deep into her as he could possibly go.

"You....You're mine, Helena" he growled lustfully, giving her earlobe a slightly harder nip as he pushed his average-sized manhood into her, the feeling making his body shiver in delight as the sensations washed over him anew.

Rickertt was right where she wanted him and as her hand moved to stroke the bulge between his legs, River couldn't help but smile. He was growing against her palm, her small fingers finding their way despite the fabric that prevented her from finding home. But no matter. They had time. Plenty of it. She let her knee gently move against him, doing her best to work him up as she pressed herself hard against his body, trapping him against the stone wall. Oh, this was fun! She had to admit that she'd missed the guy.

Almost.

"You say that as if I want every guy, Rickertt," River stated with a pout. Her dark eyes looked up into his, while her lower lip jutted out prettily. "You know I only want to bother you." She gave him a coy wink, which was accompanied by a soft giggle and not once did her hand or knee stray. As Rickertt's hand grabbed at her breast, she let out a groan, letting her head roll back. "Mm...yes...harder..."

His hand was strong and rough, large enough to handle most of what she had to offer. But she wasn't done yet. Rubbing up against the brute, River used her free hand to hike up her shirt, baring the other breast right before Rickertt's eyes. She propped it up, presenting it to the man just as she knew he'd like it. He'd be unable to resist such a tempting offer and hell if she didn't want him to take it.

"It's far too hot," River panted. "Let's get out of here." A dull ache was starting to grow between her legs. She wanted Rickertt to take her. Rough and hard and without mercy. By the time they were through, he'd be on his back trying to find his breath. Funny how that was a sight she truly longed to see.

~~~

Helena felt a thrill as she watched her beloved Anselm remove all his clothes. There was a feverish urgency in his actions and it only served to heighten her arousal. She whimpered as she watched him, her legs spread far apart in wait. A tiny hand moved between them, fingers making lazy circles on her clit as she eagerly waited for her husband and the weight of his body to return once again.

The moment Anselm was back on her, Helena let out a tiny yelp. This was what she wanted, what she'd been yearning. The small cuts on her skin rubbed against his heated flesh as he moved against her, finding a rhythm all his own and demanding she find it with him. It wasn't long before she joined him, her hips moving in time as he thrust himself deep inside her, parting her folds as they slicked with her juices also dripping down her thighs.

The shadows were still. This was their time, their moment. Helena wouldn't have it any other way. She wrapped her legs about Anselm's waist, urging him closer as she arched against him, her teeth biting down on his shoulder, while he nipped and kissed at her exposed flesh. "Anselm...Anselm..." she cried as she writhed beneath him, her body that of an angel against the stark red below. "I'll always be yours! Always!"

Helena couldn't remember a time when she hadn't been Anselm's. From the first day they'd met, she'd known where she'd belonged—by his side, in his bed. She kissed him deeply, her lips stained with her blood from when she'd licked the knife. The euphoria of his cutting still held her in its grip and she only wanted to share more. Tiny tingles were coursing through her, making her entire body come alive with a brightly burning fire. Seeing her beloved take her own blood...such a thrill! It was his first time doing so and she hoped it wouldn't be his last. She wanted more, needed it, craved it! He'd opened a door and now there was no turning back.

Rickertt shivered as she continued to tease him, his body seizing as she so willingly exposed herself to him. The pert bud hovered oh so teasingly out of reach, his mouth wanting to clasp around it and suck like there was no tomorrow. Damn it all, why did he have to be so easy? Granted it was nice that she seemed to only go after him...But it was for all the wrong reasons! Or at least, that's what his rational mind was telling him.

Unfortunately, he let his 'urges' take control far too often and sometimes that got him in trouble. Right now, at least, all it was going to do was get him laid. And honestly? He was going to use this opportunity to its fullest; that damned Anselm and the apothecary both had him running ragged and he was entitled to some time for himself.

"Couldn't agree more" he replied, his tone far more confident before taking her hand and leading them back down another alley. Thankfully, his extensive scavenging left him with a fair bit of coin to use. One purchase of which was for his own little slice of heaven, complete with fully-functioning air conditioning. A luxury that only the wealthy and/or very lucky found themselves able to obtain. And with him having obtained the means for Anselm's factory workers to reprocess the coolant, it meant that he could use it almost without worry. And soon enough, they reached the little studio: A single-room flat with a plush bed and an electricity-powered cooling box for cold storage of medicines, drink and food. It didn't look like much on the outside, especially being on the Outskirts region of Capital City, but the interior would show a man that clearly knew what he was doing.

But none of that mattered for the moment; his fingers fumbled with the locks before he finally managed to get them open. Rickertt led them inside hastily and after closing the series of locks in a rush, roughly pushed River towards the bedroom, his thick fingers digging into her butt as he gripped her close and shoved them on the bed. His hands seemed to go in a blur as he dropped his thick pants and shook off his underwear, revealing the godly length they had been hiding. "I hope you don't have any plans, because I'm not stopping any time soon." he growled lustfully before setting himself on the busty young woman before him.

Anselm continued to plunder his beloved, his hips moving savagely to work her tight tunnel. The warmth of her thighs around his hips and the pressure of her heels against his back made his wanting of her skyrocket even higher. Combined with his feverish kissing, unknowingly partaking of the traces of Wraith Dust in the crimson fluid, it made his lust nigh-insatiable. Never before had he wanted to take her this badly, never before had he felt this much passion from their embrace.

"Yes, you are mine. And I am yours!" he grumbled heatedly into her ear, his hands moving to firmly clutch her backside and force their hips together more fiercely. Truth be told, with how he was feeling, they might just achieve their goal in this night. But right now, that mattered little for now all he truly desired was the taste and feel of the woman he'd come to love. The woman who helped him realize his own power.

"I'll have all of you this night, my love...And you will have all of me" he spoke in heated whispers, kissing and licking over her flesh, his tongue and lips occasionally taking more and more of the red drops that dripped agonizingly slow from the cuts on her skin. Her whimpers of pleasure only fueled him more, and his first release was rapidly approaching. His length pulsed inside her clutching tunnel, his thrusts getting deeper and deeper until finally he could take no more; he pushed himself as far as he could, his seed spilling into her in warm pulses as he pushed in time with each spurt. Soon enough, his release subsided and he paused for a moment, looking into the eyes of his angelic Helena before kissing her deeply.

"Worry not, my love...I am far from spent. The night is still young, after all" he then added huskily after the kiss broke, smiling down at her with genuine love and unmatched lust for her and her alone.

*Capital City – Outskirts*

Already, River knew she had Rickertt right where she wanted him. It was always too easy to tempt the large man and get her way. He had so many buttons to press and she had learned them all and took advantage as needed. Right then, he was playing exactly as she hoped, as she wanted. She could see that lust filled glaze in his eyes the moment she'd exposed herself to him. It wasn't much, but it was always enough. The heat pouring off of him was washing over her in waves. Just a little more coaxing and she'd get exactly what she was after. She looked up into his eyes, her own unblinking as she watched him contemplate his move.

This was always the best part. Men always showed their true selves when faced with a woman. Especially one such as herself.

When Rickertt grunted and made no delay to grab her wrist, River knew things were going as planned. She made no attempt to stop him, that sweet ache between her legs only growing. As it was, she could feel the length of him filling her up as he pounded against her, sating the incessant throb as it threatened to cloud her mind. But she wouldn't succumb so easily. No. As needed, her mind would remain alert. Rickertt might be easy, but he was still the most skilled scavenger she knew and he had a rapport with queen. Or, at least whoever supplied that bleach blonde bitch.

River recounted Rickertt's steps, his every move as he escorted her through the maze of narrow streets to his humble abode. She already knew the way, but she always had to make sure. She wasn't as familiar with the Outskirts like she was at the heart of Capital City. Her dark eyes remained fixed on his hand, noticing the warmth and strength of his grip. A part of her couldn't help but sigh at the thought of losing that...of this. One day she'd miss it and there was no doubt in her mind that such a day was approaching soon.

It didn't take long before Rickertt was working the locks and shoving her inside his home. The place was comfortable—only he had managed to get himself a means of climate control, something she envied as well as admired—yet modest. It would do perfectly.

River smiled as she watched Rickertt put the locks in place. He was really off his game today, more than he'd ever been. It caused the wheels in her mind to turn. It really wouldn't be long now. She could almost taste it. Never had she thought it would be this simple. But she'd take her time. After all, why not relish what she could? There was still time, though timing was everything.

Smiling, River's eyes locked onto Rickertt's well endowed cock. Oh, he hid that monster well and dear god he knew how to use it! She felt her panties dampen as he walked toward her, her hands swiftly pulling off her tank top and tossing it on the floor. She knew he'd like what he saw. He always did. All it took was a couple strides and he then all but threw her on his bed. Looking up into his eyes, she smirked, his body pressing hard against her bare breasts, which begged for his attention. "Good," she said, her voice controlled, but only just. "I'd be disappointed otherwise."

Somehow, River knew that would be all the brutish scavenger would need to hear. His buttons just begged to be pressed!

River felt the large bulge pressing against her smaller body. She let it do what it wanted, her legs parting easily as she ground her hips in an upward motion to meet his moves. He was heavy, but manageable and ugh! She really did love the feel of him.

"Get this shit off me," River whined regarding her pants, her lower lip jutting out in a pretty pout. "I want you to fuck me like this might be the last time." It was a warning, but she wasn't quite ready to give him up. Yet. Though she knew this game they played wouldn't last. It couldn't.

River writhed underneath Rickertt's weight, one hand clawing at him, while the other desperately tried to remove her her pants. Goddamn, the stuff she had on was far too restricting, however it made for easy movement in the streets. "Take it off me," she demanded. "And fuck me." She leaned forward and took the lobe of his ear into her mouth. "I want us both panting and sweating. Fuck me hard." A small whimper left her mouth as she leaned back, her body so ready and primed. Her panties were soaked and she wanted the damned things off!

~~~

*Capital City – The Palace*

The sight of her blood smearing Anselm's lips, his chest, it was causing Helena to go into a secret frenzy inside. She wondered if he knew just how delicious he looked with blood staining his flesh. He was the epitome of power, a man to be coveted and desired as he let the bright red blood mar the perfection that was him.

Helena groaned, her hips desperately trying to keep up and match every thrust Anselm threw her way. The man had always been a rough lover, but never quite like this! But how she loved it! Her legs wrapped tightly about him as he pounded hard into her tight body, her cunt seething as he worked her up into a feverish pitch! He was close. She could tell. But this wasn't over yet and his words only sealed that promise as he whispered harshly against her ear.

Tiny whimpers pleading for more filled the room as Helena tugged on her beloved. She was so riled, so worked up! Her clit was angrily throbbing as she hovered there, teetering on the edge of orgasm. But her body would not fall. Anselm wasn't done. Those sweet words rang in her ears and his cum oozed beautifully between her legs, while she thought on all the other savage things he could and would do.

"Please, Anselm," Helena panted, her eyes hungry for more. A soft sob bubbled up, her clit begging for any sort of attention. Oh, she could still feel him inside her! "Please...I..." She could barely think straight, the words eluding her as she squirmed beneath his weight. She just didn't want him to stop. Not yet. Not ever. Her hands moved since the words would not come. She reached for him, ready for her husband to do what he wished, take what he wanted. As the Dust pumped through her veins, she ached for him, her body begging for all that he'd give...and all that he'd take.

Rickertt knew he was playing a dangerous game; River was a toxic parasite and he knew it. She'd sell him out the moment she saw an opportunity that would benefit her. But at this moment, he didn't care; it was all going to end at some point so he might as well enjoy as much of it as he could. Scavenging for the things he had gotten would get him the death penalty if caught.

After all, like she said: This might very well be the last time.

He hunched over a little and viciously grabbed her shorts and panties, and with a mighty pull tore them down her legs and tossed them aside. Now there was nothing that could save her from what was to come.

"You got it!" the scavenger half-roared as he plunged hard into her waiting channel, marking the start of their very long night together.

Four Days Later

It hadn't been easy convincing Redstone to let him go. Hell, the man threatened to kick him out if he went out anyway. But once Hemmingway explained what it was he was doing, it seemed to crack open the door just a bit. Enough for him to hammer it home that this could be the key to true liberation. If Cora believed in it enough to go back after Vishnu practically threw her out of his domain, then Hemmingway felt like it was something worth trying to investigate. These were the thoughts roaming through his head as his eyes - covered by goggles over a face-wrap that he wore to protect from the blazing overhead sun - looked to and fro, watching out for those he sought.

Eventually, Redstone caved but only on the stipulation that should he fail, Cora would be barred from ever running the Caravan again and he would be stripped of his position as Caravan Boss. And to top it off, he would serve a nine-month sentence in Pearce's place. It was a hefty penalty, but he knew that trying to get this 'Vishnu' to cooperate could very well help them defend against the Enforcer incursions.

And as crazy as it was....He had just the way to get them to come out from wherever they were hiding.

As he drove along in the buggy that was already half-damaged, he would make quite a convincing target for the people he was trying to get the attention of. The man gingerly touched his left shoulder, feeling a slight twinge. But he knew it wasn't because of a pulled muscle or anything like that...No, it was something far different. But he chose to not dwell on it

And soon enough, his targets came into view: Silver-white vehicles, armed and nasty to the teeth, six of them. Four APCs, two tanks. Honestly? What he was about to do was suicidal at best...And he just prayed that he lived through this fool's errand to see his plan come to fruition. He jammed the accelerator, the engine and axles rattling as they threatened to come apart, his vehicle getting closer and closer. But he wouldn't falter...He could NOT falter! He reached for something in the 'dashboard' and pulled out a modified DP-64 grenade launcher. While he knew it wouldn't fatally harm their vehicles...It would get their attention. And if he placed the shots right, he could (hopefully) immobilize the twin armored behemoths that would give him the most trouble.

Meanwhile, the six troops in the right rear of the convoy were all busy handling one task or another. The driver watched the holo-screens to check the terrain, the co-axial watched a screen that lined along the gunner's main barrel. The on-board engineer checked various connections and access ports, looking at a wrist-mounted computer to analyze diagnostic scans. A sentry looked through a periscope-type device and checked for onboard threats. All of them wore the sterling armor suits that made all who witnessed their arrival know exactly who they were.

The sentry happened to look in the right direction and noticed a small vehicle approaching them. The high-resolution let him see a surprising amount of detail, including the battered state of the buggy. Letting out a small snicker, he then commented, "Hey, Sarge...Check the camera to your nine-o-clock. What's this guy up to?" The driver switched views to one of the side cameras and saw it as well, laughing a little as he replied, "I don't know, but he's an idiot. Hey, McKinley, turn that moron into Swiss cheese, will ya? Just a small-time raider in over his head, no need to alert the others." The gunner primed the on-board RGT, the feed prepping the .50-caliber ammo banks for engagement. "You got it, sir" McKinley confirmed, the targeting systems locking on and readying to fire.

Hemmingway knew what was coming; his keen eyes caught the small barrel atop that rear APC turning towards him. Good, maybe this little display would get their attention. And as the gun started to fire, Hem put his vehicle through its paces, barely dodging the bullets that threatened to shred him and his buggy. Closer and closer he got, the cone of fire getting narrower and narrower and some of the bullets pinging off the frame. And soon he was riding alongside the rear APC....Much to the shock.

"Shit, I lost him! He's right beside us!" McKinley shouted, the driver replying maliciously, "Well, that's a mistake on his part..." before pressing a few buttons. And outside, Hemmingway saw two side ports open; that can't be good, he thought. And time seemed to slow as he saw shells of some sort start to fall out.

Fuck! Explosives!

He jammed the brake and slammed his wheel to the left, now right behind the armored carriers as the explosive countermeasures bounced before detonating loudly behind him. "That's new...These guys don't mess around" Hemmingway breathed, his voice shaky as he resumed his pursuit. And with some luck, he managed to get close enough to where he could see the rear of the backmost Punisher tank...As well as the vital spot he needed to see.

"Guess some things never change though" he muttered as he readied his grenade launcher...Just a little more, and that bastard wouldn't be going anywhere. Even as the bullets resumed flying around him, his focus didn't waver in the slightest...Like he'd been in a battle like this before.

"Fuckin' A, hit him, McKinley!" the Sergeant shouted, the gunner getting frustrated as even the auto-targeting seemed to not hit the vehicle as much as it should. "Adjusting fire rate!" the gunner shouted; hopefully a lower fire rate would narrow the cone and reduce the sway of the weapon...At least that was the plan. "Unit Bravo, we have an unknown bogey at our six! Tell your gunner to engage! He's fast as fuck!" the driver bellowed into the radio, the response being, "Yeah, we kind of figured that! We can't hit him either! How did he get this fucking close!?"

And before any of them could answer, an explosion shook both vehicles; and in the rearview, Punisher 1-5 was slowing to a crawl before stopping completely, the buggy steering away and around as it resumed pursuing the convoy. "DAMN IT! We lost one!" the driver of the first APC heard over the radio. His response was, "He's after the tanks! Units Alpha-4 and 3, flank the sides of Punisher 1-4. Punisher 1-4, have your gunner turn the main gun toward this asshole. Keep eyes forward and increase velocity! Use STAFF low-yield shells!"

The tank driver relayed the order to his gunner, the main gun of the war machine slowly turning to face its rear. Hemmingway took note of this and focused even more, his hands gripping the wheel tightly, "They're going to use Seeker shells to hit me...Means the two guard APCs in the back will have to break off...That'll be my chance. And this being my only other shell, better time this perfectly." It was how he'd do it, after all.

And the chase continued, it seemed to turning to a game of cat and mouse. The other APCs began firing as well, Hemmingway's skillful driving managing to avoid the worst of the damage. But the bullets were taking their toll; too much more and he'd be a sitting duck for sure. "Come on....Break off, break off." he muttered, maintaining distance.

Inside the last mobile tank, the gunner was arming the main cannon. "SHELL LOADED! FIRE READY!" he heard the ammo carrier shout; the STAFF targeting parameters had all but painted the erratically-moving vehicle, distance having been confirmed.

"ON THE WAY!" the gunner shouted, to which the driver barked, "Units Alpha and Bravo, break off! I repeat break off!" And they did so, the rear APCs falling away and giving Hemmingway the chance he needed. Right as they did so, he pushed the acceleration to maximum, rapidly closing the distance right as the tank fired. The shell hurtled right toward him and right as it began its sharp ascent to strike him from above, the man shot past it and felt the explosion at his back as the shell detonated, shaking his poor buggy all the more.

But it was worth it; now he had a clear line of fire, and nothing was going to stop him.

"IT MISSED!? LOAD ANOTHER AND BLOW THIS SCUMBAG TO HELL!" the gunner shouted angrily, smashing the wall next to him with an armored fist. But before they could, Hemmingway was about ten feet behind them, the barrel of his grenade launcher aimed right at that critical spot: The small junction that would break the main rotator axle and make its right-side treads all but useless. "And...Two down." he whispered as he fired, the grenade launching from the barrel and landing right on the junction with a small 'Plink plink' before exploding. The treads fell away, the tank skidding as it grinded to a halt.

Hemmingway whooped as he sped away, placing the launcher back on the adjacent seat; he honestly hadn't expected it to go that well...But now the real chase began. Would they pursue him?

"ALL APCS! PURSUE THE TARGET! MAXIMIZE VELOCITY AND ARM SIDEWINDER LAUNCHERS!"

That was something that he heard from the loudspeakers on the outside of the APCs; seemed they wanted him to know he was on their kill-list. "Just like you were taught..." the Caravan Boss muttered, a sly grin on his face; he could feel it. The old adrenaline surge came back, made him feel alive again but at the same time disgusted with himself. No, he'd left that life behind. And sure enough, the four APCs had come after him, their superior speed closing the distance all too quickly.

"YOU'RE DEAD, ASSHOLE!"

At that moment, explosions burst brilliantly around him, Hemmingway doing his best to avoid the unguided rocket barrage. An errant explosion, however, sent his vehicle hurtling and crashing into the hard earth, rolling and bending the frame before sliding upside down to a halt. The carcass smoked and the underside was on fire, Hemmingway himself hanging limply from the seat with only the flimsy belt holding him in place. He fumbled with the seat harness, his body landing with a hard 'thuck' on the ground as he tried to crawl out from under the wreckage. Blood stained one side of his face-wrap, a piece of shrapnel having slicked his cheek. Only to hear the horrific symphony of over two dozen rifles arming themselves to light him up.

"Not bad, raider scum...Don't know why you did what you did, but that was damn impressive" he then heard a voice say to him; he looked up weakly and received a swift kick to the head, his vision swimming as he landed on his back.

"Well...Shit...Looks like you got me. You guys really don't screw around, do you?" Hemmingway said jokingly, to which the Sergeant growled, "You tried to kill the best our King has to offer...And failed, I might add. The engineers in those tanks fix broken treads all the time; they'll be up and running in two minutes at most. Just who do you think you are anyway, scumbag!?" Hemmingway just smiled, though his heart and gut grew heavy with dread; dear God, he hoped this worked...

Please, let this work, those were his final thoughts as he waited for the next event to happen. Either he'd come out of this alive or dead, those were the only options.

*Hargard Settlement*

It was nearly impossible to quiet her mind. So much had happened in the past few days that she wasn't sure as to how well she could hold out. Never had she been so rattled, so overwhelmed. She'd always been the calm one, the one to see clearly through any storm! But as Kaitrin paced the floor, she knew deep down that it was all a facade to keep herself sane. And now, with Hemmingway gone off on some suicidal mission, she knew it was just a matter of time before her mind broke entirely. Her thoughts had been racing before he'd even left that morning. And, if she was honest with herself...so had her heart.

"Stop the damned pacing already," Cissa whined. Her cool blue eyes settled on the raven-haired girl, a tiny smirk on her lips. She placed one hand on her hip as she leaned over the work bench, her blonde head propped up by an elbow.

Cora stood back in a darkened corner. She'd been extra quiet since Redstone had released her. With Hemmingway gone, fear lurked in her heart that the big blowhard would go back on his word and throw her back in that prison cell—a place she hoped to never be ever again. Never had she felt so useless or worthless. It had been a pinnacle moment when she'd opened her eyes and saw the three people she was closest to standing right there. Her dark eyes tuned toward both Kaitrin and Narcissa as the two began what she was certain would be their usual banter.

But how could life ever go back to normal after everything?

Kaitrin eyed Cissa, her blue eyes glittering fiercely. She wasn't in the mood for Cissa's snark. Not today. Not with him gone. "Save it, Cissa," she bit out. Her tone even caused Cora to tilt her head, though she remained silent. Something that disturbed her greatly. Cora was always so full of passion and ambition. It was as if that light had been snuffed out somehow.

No, not entirely. But the flames that burned so brightly in Cora had definitely been diminished. Her thoughts turned to Redstone. Kaitrin felt a strange bitterness wash over her, though she knew the guy was only doing what he thought was in the best interest of the people, of their tiny settlement out in the middle of bumblefuck nowhere. Even still, the guy was a stubborn ass. He needed to come around, to open his goddamned eyes! She couldn't stand having those she cared about constantly ripped away.

And for what? All because of fucking fear!

Cissa yawned, "It'll all work out," she quipped. But Kaitrin wasn't so sure. She trusted Hemm more than anyone, though she knew he was hiding something...something important. Just what couldn't he tell everyone? What couldn't he tell her?

Kaitrin felt her insides twist. It was the fact that he wouldn't even tell her that bothered her so much. Just what sort of secret would be so terrible that he feared even she'd turn away? She looked down at the dusty floor beneath her feet. There was nothing that would turn her away. He'd earned her loyalty...and her heart.

"I hope you're right," Kaitrin stated, her words soft as they left her mouth. If only she truly believed it. She wanted to, but something deep and dark and sinister kept tugging at her mind. If only Hemm had taken her along.

Just then, Cora shifted in her dark corner. She ran a hand through her dark hair and moved so that the tiny rays of light filtering into the room shone upon her face. "We have to trust him, Kaitrin," she whispered, nodding with determination.

Kaitrin looked over at Cora, some of her light coming back in her dark eyes. She nodded at her friend and mouthed the word 'always', which caused the usually spunky girl to smile.

"Bet Redstone is worse off than you," Cissa interjected, hijacking the tiny moment of hope Kaitrin began to feel. She sighed and looked at Cissa.

"Possibly. But Cora's been right all along. We all have to come together. We all have to try. She's right that something must be done or..." her voice trailed.

"It'll only get worse," Cora finished. The girl's thoughts drifted to Vishnu and his cruel words. How could someone so advanced in their knowledge, in all the marvels surrounding him, be so...indifferent? It struck her hard and fed into her curiosity. Did he—why was she thinking of him as a 'he'—know it would? Was that his—fuck it, she decided right there and then that he was a 'he', she felt it in her bones—plan all along?

Cora hardly knew, but there was something about him that piqued her interest, beckoned her back for more insults, if that's what that bag of bolts wanted! It was as if he'd set the ground rules for a challenge and dared her to try and win. The odds were practically impossible since she hardly knew the rules. Vishnu's rules. As she pictured him in her mind, she felt something burn deep inside.

Just then, Kaitrin's blue eyes went wide and her entire body shuddered as if she'd been doused with icy water. Her face went disturbingly pale. She glanced at Cora, then at Cissa who stood up, a quizzical look on her face. Kaitrin shook her head, her eyes clamping shut as if a dark and terrible thought suddenly crossed her mind.

"What is it?" Cissa asked, her sarcastic tone changing to that of genuine concern. She brought a finger up to the scar that ran down along her cheek and gently stroked it.

"I..." Kaitrin stammered, her eyes watering slightly. "It's Hemm, er Hemmingway," she continued. "Something's wrong!" Her voice shook and her body trembled. Just why hadn't he taken her along? It was a question she hoped he could answer. That was, if he ever came back. She looked up just then, trying to hide her tears. To any and all who would listen...she needed Hemm to come back to her.

"What?" both Cora and Cissa asked at the same time.

"I don't know how I know," Kaitrin began. "But Hemm...Hemmingway. He's in trouble."

The Enforcers continued to surround the downed buggy, their weapons trained on Hemmingway as he laid on his back. The sun beat down on them all...But the Caravan boss knew that he was the only feeling the heat. Those suits were masterful marvels; it was a damn shame that kind of technology was only driving people apart now. Spilling innocent blood and pushing the goal of unity ever farther from reach; would there even be any chance of peace.

No...Anselm and his empire were a plague. One that could only be cured through complete and utter annihilation. The only problem was, the bastard felt that about anyone that dared to oppose him. And as much as it pained him to admit it....

Those thoughts the King had were ones he once shared.

"Seems the Enforcers haven't changed a damn bit..." Hemmingway chuckled, to which the Group Sergeant tilted his armored head, "The hell are you talking about...You raiders really are as crazy as they say." Hemm just laughed weakly, a bit of blood spurting down his chin from the split in his lower lip, "Raiders....Is that what you think we are? Just because we don't live in your shining silver metropolises?"

Letting out a growl, the Enforcer that stood over Hemmingway shoved a metal boot harshly on his chest, causing Hemm to groan loudly in pain as he felt the fractures in his ribs start to creak and grow; damn it, that explosion did a freaking number on me, he thought to himself. But then...How long it had been. He was getting soft in his old age, a thought that made him smile weakly.

"What the hell's so funny, dirtbag? You laughing at the irony of your death?" the Sergeant asked sarcastically, to which Hemm stated, "No, no, nothing like that. It's just that this scene...Never thought I would ever be on the receiving end of it. Not this soon, anyway."

"Sir, what's he talking about?" another grunt asked, to which the Sergeant replied, "I have no fucking clue, but I'm about to kill his ass because I don't give a fuck!" Cocking his rifle and stepping on Hemm's chest even, he then snarled as he leveled the weapon with the Caravan leader's head, "Off to hell with you, troglodyte." Hemm just wheezed out, "Wait...You aren't the least bit curious? About how I was able to immobilize those tanks so easily, about how I was able to counter everything you threw at me? Or rather, almost everything?"

This made the Sergeant pause, his weapon lowering a little; could he be....?

"You're not sayin'....You're Vishnu?"

Hemm just laughed, "Is that what you thought? No, no...Look, before you kill me...Just roll up my sleeve. Left arm, up past the shoulder." The Sergeant debated whether or not to humor this asshole. "Ah, what the hell...Ain't like you can do anything. Hey, Walkowski! Come relieve our latest target here of his jacket! If this really is Vishnu and he's just trying to lie, I want this as a fucking trophy!"

"Sir!" the soldier directly behind him replied, slinging his weapon into the slots on the back of his armorplate before coming over. "I suggest you hold still; if you really are Vishnu, we have direct orders to capture you and bring you in for study and interrogation. King Anselm wouldn't be pleased if you were TOO roughed up." Hemm just chuckled, "You heard your Sergeant, I can't do a damn thing." And within moments, Hemm's body was twisted and his jacket relieved from his body.

And what the soldiers saw left them stupefied and paralyzed with surprise and apprehension.

"No way...."

"That number mark...Oh fuck...."

"I thought he was dead...."

There only stood a single number: the number 73, emblazoned with Anselm's own empire logo directly beneath it. Underneath the eagle and number were thirty-seven tiny other eagles tattooed down the length of his limb, confirmations of the towns he'd taken under Anselm's name.

"Holy shit...Soldier 73, the one the brass called 'White Death' himself." the Sergeant muttered, to which Hemm snickered, "Surprised to see me again, I take it? Have to be honest, I don't recognize you...Then again, it's been some time since I've worn the armor for that bastard tyrant." The Sergeant's face, unseen beneath the helm, contorted into a strange mix of utter ecstasy and indescribable rage. His cheeks tensed up so much they seemed like they might literally pull his lips off his face.

And then he started laughing...Laughing like a maniac off his medication. "This....This is even better!" the Sergeant shouted gleefully, reaiming the gun at Hemm's chest now. "I kill you, I'll be made Captain, no Lieutenant of Anselm's forces! Lieutenant Howard Steinwert, Commander of the Enforcers! Yes, I like the sound of that, what about you, WHITE DEATH!?! HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!"

Back
Top Bottom