Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Insects and Arachnids and the like...

Stonebones

Star
If you've seen my introduction post, then you probably saw that I have a huge interest in all things arthropods. I like to make this thread on forums I plan on actively visiting to indulge this interest of mine. What happens is that I do periodic "highlights" where I'll talk about a certain bug, listing off various information about them like how big they are or where they can be found to more interesting facts that set them apart from other bugs or any other creature for that manor. The point of this thread is to have fun learning about these fascinating creatures, so please refrain from talking about how you hate all things that have more that 4 legs. Please keep videos of forced bug fighting off here as well, thanks. I'll do my first highlight sometime tomorrow, so feel free to check back later if your interested. Thank you, and a have a nice day!

RE: Insects and Spiders and the like...

I've always had a kill it with fire tick with most things arthropodish, but I can't say it's all that different from interest in them. We pay attention, good or bad. Love to shudder over that ravine scene in the Peter Jackson King Kong. Think it's the only time I've been frightened in a movie theatre since I was a kid.

But!

Since we're doing the enthusiasm thing, this guy peaked my interest the other year and you've reminded me about 'em:

http://www.youtube.com/user/tarantulaguy1976?feature=watch

Spiders: They're people too, and apparently very prone to drying out.

I appreciate your honesty Miles. If you stick around, perhaps I can ease your weariness of arthropods. A huge portion of fear comes from a lack of knowledge on a subject. By learning more about the things that scare oneself, people very often find that there is little to be afraid of at all. I've told this to multiple people who visit my bug threads and I've seen more then one become much more comfortable on the subject.

With that being said, I'll kick this thread off with one of my favorite insects of all time. The Argentine Ant.

Argentine%20Ant%2001.jpg

The biggest thing that sets Argentine ants apart from other ant species is there incredibly nonviolent behavior towards other Argentine ants of a different colony. You see, if any other species of ant came across another ant of a different colony, regardless its species, they would most likely fight to the death if one thought the other would be a threat to her colony. Argentine ants however, can peacefully coexist and mingle with Argentines from a different colony, and will often communicate with one another to actually combine both of their colonies into one. Because of this, they are extremely successful as a species. In fact, it was discovered that 3 super colonies of Argentine Ants from America, Europe, and Japan were genetically related! Speaking of which, Argentine ants can be found in almost any part of the world. This is because they often stow away on boats or other large vehicles, which is the main reason why they have become so wide spread in the first place. Argentine ants are small, roughly 3 millimeters. But what they lack in size, they make up for with strength in numbers and teamwork. Much more so than other ants, which is already a lot to begin with. Another trait that makes them so successful is that they don't have just one queen. Argentine nests can usually have up to a dozen queens or more. A queen can be recognized by having a notable dot their back.

In my opinion, an Argentine's society is much better than our own in many, many ways. They never quarrel amongst one another, they always work for the benefit of the whole, and they never hesitate to help a fellow Argentine in need. Just try to imagine what human life would be like if we all shared these traits.

So that's my first highlight. Please feel free to let me know what you thought of it as I'd very much like to hear your thoughts!

Usually, I try to wait until at least one person comments on my previous highlight before posting another. But I guess my Argentine Ant highlight didn't pique enough interest. This next one has a lot more content, so maybe it will give this thread the kick it needs.

Now I love all all insects, spiders, crustaceans and anything else that could be considered a bug, very dearly. But my favorite insect of all time is without question, the Praying Mantis!

praying-mantis_670_600x450.jpg

The Praying Mantis can be found world wide in any temperate or tropical habitat par arctic regions of course. Its name is derived from the stance of its two forearms, which appear as if it were in prayer. It is sometimes mistakenly spelled Preying with an "e" because they are efficient hunters. Praying Mantis's sport large compound eyes and with it, superior vision, being able to see up to 50 feet away. That's not much too us but most insects are lucky if they can see a mere five or ten feet from where they stand. The only problem with the Mantis's eyes are that since they are so close together, they may offer problems with depth perception. To compensate for this, the Mantis will sway from side to side in order to measure whatever it's looking at, to the background behind it. If you look at a Mantis closely and see it rocking back and forth, be ready, as it may about to jump on your face. Praying Mantises also own a pair of wings that function not unlike many other insects. Though it varies from species to species, most Mantis's ability of flight are mediocre at best due to their unusual body shape.

However, the Praying Mantis's most distinguishing and eye catching feature are their elongated spine ridden forearms. Praying Mantises are strictly carnivorous predators as mentioned above and unnervingly deadly ones at that. First off, almost all species of Mantis boost excellent camouflage suited to their environment. Mantises that live close to the ground are usually a brownish color to blend in with the dirt and fallen leaves. Mantises that live on plants or trees will have an expected shade of green. A tree dwelling Mantis may even further this disguise by swaying back and forth in time as to mimic the leaves around it blowing in the wind. (What do ya know, I suppose they have two reasons for swaying back in forth) Their are even Mantises that are adapted to hunting on flowers that can sport elegant spots or bright shades of a color, like this.

2942695494_5ab126c7d6_z.jpg

These various forms of camouflage are a great aid in their hunting in addition to staying undetected by other, bigger predators. It's only a matter of time until a suitable meal comes in range of the mantis. Once the time to strike arises, they lash out to grab its prey with their two forearms with lightning speed (1/20th the speed of a blink of an eye to be exact) each of which has hundreds of spines attached to impale the victim. Once in the grip of a Praying Mantis, there is little one can do but hope that by some miracle the Mantis may lose its grip. Here's a video showing exactly just how strong a mantis's hold can be.

[video=youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sT0Lyrwyh5E[/video]

As you might of seen from the video, Mantises are patient when hunting, but not when eating as they began to chow down as soon as they hold their catch in their forearms, almost always as the prey is still alive. Their table manors aren't all bad though, as they will carefully groom each forearm when finished, most likely to keep chunks of food from impairing their grip on its next victim. When snack time is done, they retreat back to the same spot or find another and begin the process all over again.

The Praying Mantises hunting methods are so effective, that an entire form of martial arts has been invented and stylized after them, check it out!

[video=youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kkg8MJwTmUM[/video]

Now I'm sure all of you have heard the Mantises methods of "coupling" and the certain consequences it has for the male mantis. To my knowledge, the female will attempt to devour the male if she hasn't recently eaten. However this is a tad exaggerated at times and more often than not, the male will walk away head and all. In fact Mantis courtship has sometimes been observed to involve a number of dances and rituals that would rival other animals known for their romantic mating methods.

Even through their fierce predatory skills and sometimes fatal relationships, Praying Mantises make surprisingly superb pets! Pet stores don't usually stock them so most Mantis pets are found outside. They may shy away from their owners or try to fake you out with their forearms as they (and almost every other animal with any sort of survival instinct) know that big things eat little things. They get used to humans as well as living in captivity fast though. After awhile, they are able to recognize their owners face. They can even be trained to eat pieces of meat off of tweezers. They don't need much space, enough to be able to move about and hunt. I find that plastic containers like this are perfect.

Just drill multiple air holes in the lid and fill the container about 1/8th of the way with dirt. It's also highly recommended that you put some foliage in their to help the Mantis feel a bit more at home and not as vulnerable as he would in just an empty tank. Sadly the only drawback for the Mantis as a pet is their relatively short life spans being about three months, so if you do find yourself owning a Mantis, try not to get too attached to him or her.

I'm very proud of this highlight, so I'd love to hear your thoughts and opinions. And while we're talking about mantises, I'm looking for some people to join a role play of mine that involves one particularly remarkably Praying Mantis. Check it out here if your interested.

The Aregntine Ant...not bad, I do find ants to be interesting, and the fact of them forming 'super colonies' was something I didn't ecpedct to read! But then, you did something on the Mantis...

I have always had a soft spot for these things. A very long time ago I had one for a little while. Granted, that was because while I was camping, I went back to the site and my mother pointed out one of them had decided that my back was a good place to hang out. So we kept it around for the remainder of the week.

It is fascinating to know that th mating methods of the mantis aren't quite as cut and dried as popular opinion is. Also the idea of the mating dances and the like was interesting to say the least.

The Mantis kung fu is...different. I'm not going to say useless or the like, since the video provided shows that if nothing else, the users train to be damned fast. A lot of small holds that look to be of middling use, but I'm somewhat biased, so I'll leave it at that.

I've enjoyed these litle piece so far, and look forward to seeing them continue!

Alvis Alendran said:
The Aregntine Ant...not bad, I do find ants to be interesting, and the fact of them forming 'super colonies' was something I didn't ecpedct to read! But then, you did something on the Mantis...

I have always had a soft spot for these things. A very long time ago I had one for a little while. Granted, that was because while I was camping, I went back to the site and my mother pointed out one of them had decided that my back was a good place to hang out. So we kept it around for the remainder of the week.

It is fascinating to know that th mating methods of the mantis aren't quite as cut and dried as popular opinion is. Also the idea of the mating dances and the like was interesting to say the least.

The Mantis kung fu is...different. I'm not going to say useless or the like, since the video provided shows that if nothing else, the users train to be damned fast. A lot of small holds that look to be of middling use, but I'm somewhat biased, so I'll leave it at that.

I've enjoyed these litle piece so far, and look forward to seeing them continue!

Thank you kindly. I'm very pleased to hear that you enjoyed them. I'm also glad you were able to learn something that you didn't know already.

I like bugs. Always have. Not a fan of them crawling on me, especially if I didn't know they were there, but I still find them fascinating.

So with that thought in mind, do you take requests for a particular bug t be looked at...? :p

Alvis Alendran said:
I like bugs. Always have. Not a fan of them crawling on me, especially if I didn't know they were there, but I still find them fascinating.

So with that thought in mind, do you take requests for a particular bug t be looked at...? :p

In a matter of fact, I do take requests. What did you have in mind?

SOuth America. The Goliath Beetle. Love to know more about that big bastard.

As per request by Alvin, here's a highlight on the Goliath Beetle.

18-Goliath-Beetle_tn1.jpg

Most species of Goliath Beetles (six in total) can be found in the tropical regions of Africa, with the exception of G. Albosignatus, which is found in the sub tropical parts. In terms of weight and size, the Goliath Beetle is among the largest insects in the world, being able to grow to 5 inches in length and weigh as much as three and a half ounces. Another recognizable feature of the Goliath Beetle are their oddly consistent patterns of dark stripes contrasting a lighter hue background.

As impressive as Goliath Beetles may appear, they actually spend most of their lives in their larva form. The Goliath Beetle larva's diet is unusual in that they require a good deal more protein as opposed to other beetle larva. They need this extra protein in order to support the particularly large body they'll have when the mature into adults. Once the larva has eaten it's fill, it burrows underground to begin it's transformation into an adult. First, it constructs a thin celled chamber out of soil and substrate.
Then the larva enters the pupal stage, where the actual transforming takes place. When finished, the newly formed Goliath Beetle sheds it's skin and partakes in a brief hibernation while his new carapace hardens. When the dry season ends and the rainy season arrives, the Goliath Beetle is awoken from it's slumber and sets off to find a mate, Starting the whole process anew.

Despite it's hulking size, the Goliath Beetle is strictly a herbivore. As an adult, the Goliath Beetle is fond of sugary foods, primarily eating tree sap but also occasionally snacking on ripe/rotting fruits. Another thing that may surprise people due to it's size is that they are harmless and will not bite people. A "Gentle Giant" if you will. Like the Praying Mantis in my previous highlight, they are capable of flight, but rather clumsy due to their sheer size and weight.

[video=youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HjGdNpTR0E[/video]

There you have it Alvis, I hope it was to your liking. As I've said before, I'd very much love to hear the opinions and thoughts of anyone who reads this.

Some people might not consider crustaceans as bugs, but they are arthropods. In my eyes, they are the insects and spiders of the sea! And the occasional freshwater habitat as well. I want you all to give a big, warm welcome to the Peacock Mantis Shrimp!

tumblr_m3djygkKEE1ruqes2o2_500.jpg

Mantis-shrimp.jpg

The Peacock Mantis Shrimp is quite the creature, both in appearance and action. It has the body shape of a Shrimp, the vivid coloration of a Peacock, and the raptorial claw like forearms of a Praying Mantis. They can be found in the Indo-Pacific from Guam to East Africa and range from 1 to 7 inches in length. They like to dig and reside in U shaped burrows within the loose substrate near corral reefs.

One of their most incredible features are their incredibly powerful forearms. Peacock Mantis Shrimp are predatory creatures, and for their size, most formidable hunters indeed. There are two variations of Peacock Mantis Shrimp. First there are the spearers, who skewer pray with sharp barbs lining their forearms. Then there are the smashers, who use their club like forearms to repeatedly smash open the shells of crustaceans and bivalves to eat away at soft tissue underneath. These are their favorite food, second to gastropods (No shell = No work) How hard do they hit? Try the speed of 50 miles per hour and a force created of 200 pounds per punch! This is a equivalent to the impact of the shot of a 22. caliber handgun. I am not kidding folks, these guys are amazing.

They can also grow back any of their limbs should they fall off.

It doesn't stop there. The Peacock Mantis Shrimp also has vastly superior eyesight, Often exclaimed as the best in all the animal kingdom. For starters, their eyes are attached to mobile stalks and can move independently of each other. They also posses what is called โ€˜trinocular visionโ€™ which means they can see just as fine with one eye covered/gone then with both, unlike humans and almost every other mammal. They can also perceive a wide array of colors that most animals can't thanks to their complex eyes. Put simply, we can see three colors, red, blue, yellow, and any combination of that. Peacock Mantis Shrimp however, can see a total of sixteen different colors. I won't go into detail of stuff that neither you or me will quite understand but the midsection of each eye consists of six parallel strips, each containing different light-sensitive cells called photo-receptors. The things they can see that we can't include infrared, ultraviolet, and polarized light.

This amazingly versatile animal also commonly finds it's way into aquarium tanks, both in expected and unexpected ways. A good deal of aquarium enthusiasts have gone to the pet store to stock up of various sea life, substrate, suitable water, decorations and other supplies to fill their tanks with, only to wake up the next morning to find all of the tanks inhabitants dead or missing. All but one that is. You see, the coral pet stores sell often comes straight from the ocean and sometimes, with a certain colorful stowaway. Peacock Mantis Shrimps aren't too fond of neighbors, and will readily kill all other occupants of the tank until only he remains. As bad as this sounds, it could turn out even worse. Sometimes, owners will leave the tank unsupervised and come back to find it right out shattered. When the Peacock Mantis Shrimp digging it's burrow and comes across something that isn't easily moved, in this case aquarium glass, it's first instinct is to try and smash through it if he feels his burrow isn't big enough yet. With their strength, a regular old fish tank doesn't stand a chance.

As problematic as the above scenarios sound, Peacock Mantis Shrimp's also often find their way into owners tanks, but with welcome arms. That's right, the Peacock Mantis Shrimp by itself makes an excellent pet! The are very intelligent and curious and can even interact with their owners. One way you can do this by sticking a a piece of food on a stick and let your Peacock Mantis Shrimp chase it around playfully. They also spend a fair amount of their time peering out of their lairs at whatever is happening outside the tank and will trace your movements. With their suburb eyesight, I would be willing to bet that they could recognize the face of their keeper. They have a decent lifespan as far as aquatic pets go, being at least 4 years and more depending on how well you care for them. However, speaking of care, you should treat Peacock Mantis Shrimp's a bit differently than other aquarium pets. Firstly, any other inhabitants should be intended as food, since they don't like room mates as mentioned above. Their punch is easily more than enough to break your finger, so don't go sticking your hand in the tank. I heard that a Peacock Mantis Shrimp will hold back a punch on their owner and as amazing as that sounds, I definitely wouldn't try it in person.

I really hope that some of this doesn't come off as far fetched due to my love of this fantastic creation of mother nature. I've done an extensive bit of research on these guys, so as far as I know, every bit of this is true. Should you choose to do some research yourself, feel free to post your own findings on the marvel that is the Peacock Mantis Shrimp.

To my dismay, no one has commented on my Peacock Mantis Shrimp Highlight. So I'll just move on to the next, a little insect called the Froghopper.

124707-004-9AB10DDE.jpg

Froghoppers are tiny insects found worldwide that are usually a little less then 1.5 centimeters long. The Froghopperโ€™s first noteworthy trait is itโ€™s jumping prowess. They like to jump from plant to plant and in doing so, can reach a height of up to 70 cm vertically. Relative to body weight, this surpasses the jumping capacity of the flee.

The more interesting thing about Froghoppers, I believe though are the habits of their nymph stage, which are affectionately referred to as Spittle bugs.

Spittlebug4383.JPG

Thatโ€™s not a bug. Thatโ€™s a pile of, what is that? Bubblebath? Let me move that out of the way for you.

2005-jun-16_spittlebug-1.jpg

The Spittle bug has a very unique method of housing. First it will pierce the stem of a plant in order to suck at the sap. It then regurgitates it through the anus as the frothy substance you see in the pictures above. It then lives the rest of itโ€™s nymph days inside this bubbly pile known as cuckoo spit, frog spit or snake spit.

Why would anything want to live in a pile of spit? Quiet a few reasons actually. Firstly the froth hides the Spittle bug from view of potential predators. The froth itself has bitter taste, further deterring hungry mouths. The spit also does a good job of regulating temperature keeping itโ€™s from getting to cold or too hot. Lastly, the spit den provides much needed moisture. Without it, the young Froghopper would quickly dry up and perish.

It would seem that my bug thread here isn't attracting as many visitors here then in some of the other forums I've done it on. But I like doing these highlights, so I shouldn't let that discourage me. Here's one on the firefly.

firefly-pics2.jpg

Also commonly known as the Lighting Bug, the Firefly isn't a fly at all, but rather a beetle. Fireflies can be found in any non-arctic region of the world, but prefer humid and moisture abundant habitats. Most firefly adults are assumed to feed on plant pollen and nectar, or eat nothing at all considering their short life spans. A few species of fireflies are carnivorous and exclusively eat other species of firefly by attracting them through imitating the flashing pattern of a willing mating partner. Firefly larva on the other hand are usually carnivorous and eat small mollusks.

The most distinguishing feature of the firefly is its ability to great a variety of glows and flashes. This is known as bio-luminescence and they can do this thanks to a substance located in their abdomen called Luciferin. In a nut shell, Luciferin is a heat resistant substance that will light up when exposed to oxygen. All the firefly need do is take in air, and direct it into the proper organs. As if this isn't interesting enough, Firefly produced light is the most efficient light in the world. This is because 100% of energy emitted is light. A light bulb in comparison, emits 10% of energy as light and the rest as heat. The main reason Fireflies flash around in the first place is to locate a proper suitor for courtship. It also serves as a warning to potential predators that they are distasteful and in some cases, poisonous to a degree

Also this, because I'm a sucker for these kind of songs.

[video=youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ytBR7ET_6uU[/video]

I can see you like insects and other wildlife stuff...Tell me...Are you just inspired on how they live/by their looks, or you're just into their beauty?

I'm curious to know what makes you like them and be interested by them; because, personally, I rather flee than staying and experimenting on them. >.>

DelightfulRevenge said:
I can see you like insects and other wildlife stuff...Tell me...Are you just inspired on how they live/by their looks, or you're just into their beauty?

I'm curious to know what makes you like them and be interested by them; because, personally, I rather flee than staying and experimenting on them. >.>

I'd have to say both, leaning a bit towards the former. Arthropods are the single most fascinating thing on this earth to me. The number of amazing feats that they can do are endless, not to mention that they make up about 75% of all life on the planet. That's not to say that I don't look at them artistically though. Praying Mantises and Dragonflies are among the most elegant creatures in my book.

Sometimes though, I wish that more people could appreciate how truly magnificent they are. I know that many people would disagree with me, but arachnophobia, despite being one of the most common fears in the world, is actually a very very irrational fear. (So that this thread doesn't turn into a huge flame storm, let's keep any comments about this bit to ourselves please, thank you.)

I think that can change though, and I want to help. At one point in time, during the middle ages, cats were associated with the devil and were purposely slaughtered by the dozens. Having one as a pet was unheard of then, and would probably get you killed along with the cat. Yet now, they are one of the most common house hold pets in the world and are adored my millions.

I believe the same thing can happen with insects and arachnids. Right now, a vast majority of people hate anything with more then four legs and will kill them on sight because they deem them gross or scary or for absolutely no reason other then the mere sake of it. But with time and the acquisition of a better understanding, I hope that more people will see that there's really nothing bad about bugs and that they in fact, actually improve human life in a variety of ways.

Don't worry, I understand you. And like you said, its just fear (which I do actually have over bugs). So, I guess it's pretty natural, right?

However, bugs can be interesting and can be helpful for some people; but I guess their alright... Some of them can actually have some nice colors. =) (which doesn't mean I like them) I just tend to leave them alone... :s

Anyway, I think I should probably leave you alone now...Thanks for answering my question. Your reply sounded interesting. =D

DelightfulRevenge said:
Don't worry, I understand you. And like you said, its just fear (which I do actually have over bugs). So, I guess it's pretty natural, right?

However, bugs can be interesting and can be helpful for some people; but I guess their alright... Some of them can actually have some nice colors. =) (which doesn't mean I like them) I just tend to leave them alone... :s

Anyway, I think I should probably leave you alone now...Thanks for answering my question. Your reply sounded interesting. =D

I'm glad to see that you can be open minded on the subject. Feel free to check in at anytime though. I've helped people become more comfortable on the subject before by running this thread.

As requested by Baba Yaga, here's a highlight on the Cobalt Blue Tarantula.

Cobalt-Blue-Tarantula-Care.jpg

The Cobalt Blue Tarantula, though becoming more rarely spotted in the wild due to loss of it's natural habitat, can be found in the tropical rain forest areas of Southeast Asia, namely Myanmar and Thailand. They are considered medium sized tarantulas, with a leg span of about five inches.

True to it's namesake, the Cobalt Blue Tarantula is mostly known for it's brilliant, iridescent blue sheen. They may appear as brown or black at first glance, but upon closer inspection and under favorable light will they show their true colors. Rather then because of pigments, which are usually responsible for the colors of animals, the Cobalt Blue Tarantula most likely gets it's iridescent glow from multi-layered micro-structures.

The Cobalt Blue Tarantula, or CBT as I will call it for convenience, is nocturnal and fossorial, fossorial meaning that it is adapted to digging burrows and living underground. Like many other tarantulas, they posses poor eyesight, instead relying on their sensitive hairs to navigate their surroundings and locate prey. They line the entrance of their burrows with silk, alerting them to any passing snacks. They can go without eating for relatively long periods of time though, so food isn't usually a concern.

Though they are initially shy in nature, they are very fast and become improbably aggressive at even the slightest provocation, moving to bite with little to no hesitation. Why, even newborn CBT's will assume a defensive position and attack. This makes them rather unique, as nearly any other kind of spider would much rather try to flee danger and would only bite as a last resort. Fortunately their venom, while painful, is non lethal and will only posses medical significance to people who are allergic to such bites or those in sub par health. Despite this unfriendly behavior, Cobalt Blue Tarantulas are common pets, though are recommended only for experienced tarantula owners for obvious reasons.

There you have it Baba Yaga, I hope it was to your liking.

Eeee, such a pretty baby! It's too bad they're so mean. :c Thank you a whole bunch! <3

Here is a highlight on a group of Moths known as Hawk Moths.

Oleander_Hawk_Moth.jpg

At least a few species of Hawk Moths can be found in any region, but they are most common in the tropics. The name "Hawk Moth" is derived from their exceptional flying skills as well as their relativity large size , sporting a wingspan that can range from two to eight inches. Adults mainly feed on flower nectar, and are efficient pollinators. They do this in a fashion similar to butterflies using a coiled proboscis or "tongue" which can grow rather long, recorded as being as big as 13 inches.

Most species of Hawk Moth larva are commonly referred to as "hornworms" due to the often prominent horn like structure at their posterior end. When disturbed, they are quick to vomit up sticky, hazardous contents from their esophagus. They are commonly labeled as harmful to tomato and tobacco crops, although the actual amount of damage they can cause varies significantly.

3rd%20instar2.jpg

As stated above, the most unique feature of the Hawk Moth are its excellent flying abilities. They are among the fastest flying insects, reaching speeds of up to 30 miles per hour! They are also able to hover in midair to feed on flower nectar like humming birds and have actually been mistaken as such. This mid place hovering is actually a skill that is rather rare in the animal kingdom, only found in certain bat species, hoverflies, and humming birds themselves. During this hover flight, they can even make sharp movements from side to side repeatedly known as "swing-hovering". This behavior is thought to have been evolved in order to better avoid predators.

Back
Top Bottom