Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

should incest be legal?

should incest be legal?

• Total voters
the.bard.incarnate said:
For the record, I myself would never engage in incestuous activity willingly. That said, as long as it is consensual, I think it should be perfectly legal, regardless of degree of separation. However, I also think that laws should be put in place to prevent any sexual congress between family members that are too close resulting in a pregnancy. Too many horrifying problems develop when there isn't enough genetic diversity to produce complete viable offspring.

To the people who think, for example, that it is wrong for a parent to sexually desire their child... why? If their child is fully mature, and shares that desire? I mean, I can't envision ever feeling that way myself. But my guiding principle has always been "do what harms myself and others least and pleases myself and others most". By that logic, ANY TIME that ANY two (or more) people engage in sexual activity together, consensually, with a mind for (and actions to prevent) potential negative consequences, it's a good thing. Sex is pleasurable, physically and mentally rejuvenating, promotes emotional bonding between people, and helps to treat a host of minor ailments (nothing will clean out the sinuses like a good, hard, turn-you-inside-out orgasm, for example). And as long as diseases and unwanted (or non-viable) pregnancies are prevented, the potential negative consequences of sex amount to... well... can anyone even THINK of any? Because I can't.

Aside from all that, I just have a general objection to anyone not involved in my sex life telling me how I HAVE to live it. Nobody should have the right to tell you who you can and can't have sex with, so long as all acts engaged in are consensual and held between informed parties.

Easy, because parents don't start wanting their children when they are fully grown, why do you think so many abuse cases start when kids are just that...children.

And some of the those laws put in place against things is to prevent psychological damage to a developing child/young person.

The only way it wouldn't cause any damage would be to have never known your child if it was given up for adoption, met him or her on the street and felt that sexual bond.

Otherwise, it's pretty messed up.

Children can't give consent just like animals can't give consent. That's pretty much why I'm against it and if you really can't find someone outside of your family unit? Probably more wrong than anyone wants to admit mentally.

Having thought about it more, I think what there should be is special consideration for certain cases. There have been some high profile cases where families have fallen apart and girls have married and had children with their biological brothers or fathers without knowledge of who they are (which goes a small way to showing some peoples arguments that attraction is "natural" and objection is a learnt response.)

In such a case, it's wrong to take their kids into care and split them up in my opinion. One of the cases were a seperated brother and sister with 3 kids who had been married 10 years or so. They should be totally legal to continue their relationship if they so wish. But besides that and cousins and things, I stick with my original stance. At the end of the day most "incest" is one sided, usually from the male. If the brother decides he wants it and the sister wouldn't, then he'd be able to groom her and pressure her towards it.

It isn't right, you need to be able to trust family at the end of the day and such laws could and would allow people to impose their will on their young before their own minds and consent is formed. There would be a lot more pressure applied to young girls if it were legal and an accepted human lifestyle, and would result in a lot more family tragedies and scarred upbringings. Can't see any way that there wouldn't be.

Any form of exploitation is wrong, and I agree with the point that there is a lot of potential for abuse if the law is relaxed. But I'm not sure that's an excuse to keep it illegal... It just means that punishment, HARSH punishment, should be meted out to those who are exploiting or abusing another person. Besides, sad to say, the fact that it's illegal doesn't prevent people from doing it. I don't know. It's a really thorny issue for me. I just don't believe in the law getting involved in people's sex lives in ANY form. Homosexuality used to be a capital offense. They'd kill you for it. I am not gay myself; I can't understand the concept of being attracted to a member of the same sex, but if two men or two women want to get together, I'll be the first one to stand up and defend their right to do so, as long as all parties are willing. Legislating what should be a private decision just seems wrong to me.

As far as animals not being able to give consent... a completely separate issue brought up as a side note by Hahvoc... you're joking, right? Animals can give consent. Here's how: Nearly all animals have a very effective way of saying "No." Usually by maiming or killing you for trying to do whatever it is that you are trying to do that it doesn't like. This is another one where I myself would never go there, and in fact, I find it squicky to even think about, but I still don't think it's a matter for the law to deal with. Let natural selection take care of it. If someone tries to copulate with an UNWILLING animal, you can bet your bottom dollar that there are going to get (depending on the species) bitten, stomped, kicked, impaled, clawed, or pecked so savagely that they are very unlikely to be trying that again, if they are lucky enough to even survive the experience.

So the law should be relaxed because a small percent of people break it?

Kay. We should allow murder too.

And sorry, but animals can't give consent and it's not the same as a person giving consent. They don't say yes or no. Predatory animals will eat you but a dog that is your pet and knows what happens when you reprimand it for "disobeying" you? Yeah, not gonna accept that whole "they can totes give consent."

Okay, domesticated pets MIGHT be an exception there. They might not react the same way a wild animal would. Wouldn't know, haven't tried it with either. Aside from the squick factor, not that stupid, LOL.

Murder is a completely different case. In all cases where murder can be CALLED murder (i.e., NOT assisted suicide or euthanasia), one participant is very definitely unwilling. It's all very simple, in my book. A child cannot consent (though our definition of "child" is also a bit warped, but that's a whole other discussion and actually has very LITTLE to do with sex or sex laws), and therefore, such acts with a child should be illegal, because sex with anyone who is non-consenting is exploitative, abusive, or both. Any CONSENTING acts that are not otherwise in violation of the law (meaning the public indecency laws, for example) should be, if not legally sanctioned, at least not legally persecuted. Am I the only one who thinks that permitting law-makers to tell us who, when, and how we can fuck sets a REALLY BAD PRECEDENT?

There's been a lot of good responses and without having to name roughly half a dozen, I agree. There is a genetic factor if reproduction occurs, however incest happens with or without marriage or planning on kids.

I'm not personally keen on it, however, if both parties are of age to sign a legally binding marriage document then that's their choice. I don't like judging or being judged. So in all fairness if you're incestuous, homosexual, transgender, whatever--if you're an adult and don't harm anyone/anything doing what you do in the privacy of your own bedroom, then go for it. Closed minds are what offend people the most, imo.

I think it's kind of like whether gay marriage should be legal or not, I think that it should be legal so people have a choice, if you make it illegal your taking a part of humans freedom away. So as long as its consensual and not forced then I think it's okay :)

First, I love how people keep bringing it back to the Gay marriage thing. It isn't the same thing.

Second, even though the idea is so prevalent on here and many other sites like this. I don't believe this is happening so much in a consensual setting as you think, people are not just waking up one day and saying wow I want to love and sleep with my sister. More often then not, it is far more parents abusing their children. Or if it is a sibling thing, there tend to be more issues involved in the why it happened in the first place. The actual consensual love part, tends to happen in such a smaller percentage. And even that I would imagine would be split even smaller, to people who had no idea they were related when they fell in love.

Can the people who are really all for this, really sit there and tell me yes I so want to be in love and sleep with a related family member? It is big here like anything else, for the shock value and not the fact that it happens in pure reality all the time.

Cassandraks said:
First, I love how people keep bringing it back to the Gay marriage thing. It isn't the same thing.

Second, even though the idea is so prevalent on here and many other sites like this. I don't believe this is happening so much in a consensual setting as you think, people are not just waking up one day and saying wow I want to love and sleep with my sister. More often then not, it is far more parents abusing their children. Or if it is a sibling thing, there tend to be more issues involved in the why it happened in the first place. The actual consensual love part, tends to happen in such a smaller percentage. And even that I would imagine would be split even smaller, to people who had no idea they were related when they fell in love.

Can the people who are really all for this, really sit there and tell me yes I so want to be in love and sleep with a related family member? It is big here like anything else, for the shock value and not the fact that it happens in pure reality all the time.

Yes, the gay marriage point does have some weight to it, because it's a matter of freedom to be with who you want. Those that advocate for gay marriage aren't also advocating rape, or the forcing of heterosexuals to marry the same gender. Rape and pedophilia shouldn't even enter the discussion, because they are already illegal. If it is otherwise within the legal limits of the law, what does it matter?

The child has a chance to be born with some defects (last I read around 20%-- interested in recent research)? Then shouldn't you argue that conception between close siblings should be illegal and not the actual relationship? It's quite possible to have a sexual relationship with someone, and not get them pregnant (what about a gay relationship?). They are many ways to go about this.

A whole lot of what I've been reading is the typical "moral", and personal preference response. It doesn't matter if "you" think it's wrong, or "you" don't like, or "you" wouldn't do it. All that matters is a sound argument for why it is detrimental to the people inovlved, and society as a whole. I'm not gay, but I think gay people should be able to marry. I have no attraction to anyone in my family, but I also think that people that do, should the relationship be otherwise legal, should be able to pursue the relationship.

Obviously incest is illegal as it is, but it doesn't do anything from stopping the abuse that some people suffer. Any negative incestual relations already overlap with various rape and abuse laws, just like "normal" relationships. So, why make incest as a whole illegal?

Again, it doesn't matter whether I or anyone else arguing for legal incest want to be, or is, in love with a family member, or wants to have sex with them. It's completely moot.

Gay marriage is sexual orientation based, not whether or not sleeping with your sister or mother is okay. It is different. The only "sameness" is that some people find it yucky and it's illegal in most states (since gay marriage is quickly becoming legal.)

People get turned away from businesses for being gay but not for being with their family.

People also don't seem to use the bible to say why incest is wrong either. At least, not what I've seen.

Polygamy, homosexuality and incest are all a part of the same problem. It's society going on people's bedrooms to "protect" them.
Incest, when forced or on children, in a inforgivable crime and should be harshly punished. When consensual, nobody has the right to tell anyone who to love.

Normally, I'd stand by my views on the freedom of choice but ... this is a more-than-usually-sensitive topic for me, especially as I am a real life mother. Maybe that's partly another subconscious reason I can't RP out incest; it just feels .... too awkward to even think about, knowing it does indeed happen in real life. True, the Bible all but encouraged incest with quite the number of hints suggesting that was how many of the generations were created.

But ... as the old saying goes .... you can't believe everything you see/read.

It's .... very much a coin toss. For me, I could never encourage my child to see anyone in the immediate family as more than merely that.

However, if others see it differently and want a consensual relationship like many have been saying, that is their own personal affair. I do agree with that much.

But I .... just could never encourage such things.

Hahvoc The Decepticon said:
Gay marriage is sexual orientation based, not whether or not sleeping with your sister or mother is okay. It is different. The only "sameness" is that some people find it yucky and it's illegal in most states (since gay marriage is quickly becoming legal.)

People get turned away from businesses for being gay but not for being with their family.

People also don't seem to use the bible to say why incest is wrong either. At least, not what I've seen.

I'll quote myself here, because you haven't refuted it one bit: "Yes, the gay marriage point does have some weight to it, because it's a matter of freedom to be with who you want." How isn't incest and gay marriage similar in that respect? Try to rationalize why it is wrong, and should not be legal. Keep in mind that it isn't as simple as babies with disabilities because I've already addressed that. Sure that is an issue, but it can easily be circumvented-- although it does venture into a moral discussion about having children when there's a risk of any disability, but that's possibly off topic here.

Doesn't matter if people get turned away for being gay, and not incestuous. Actually, I wonder if a known incestuous couple would get treated poorly. I suspect they would be in certain areas, just like gay people are treated poorly in certain areas.

As for the bible, I'm sure any decent bible thumper can use Leviticus to point out why incest is "wrong". You should also take into account how homosexuality is a more visible topic. If incest were the more visible topic, and the religious community disapproved, do you think they wouldn't arm themselves with bible verses? I think so.

It all boils down to whether or not it's okay to love the person you love, and I think it should be okay. Just like a heterosexual or homosexual relationship, it should be okay, provided it is of a reasonable, lawful age, and it's is consensual.

Mitsu said:

I'll quote myself here, because you haven't refuted it one bit: "Yes, the gay marriage point does have some weight to it, because it's a matter of freedom to be with who you want." How isn't incest and gay marriage similar in that respect? Try to rationalize why it is wrong, and should not be legal. Keep in mind that it isn't as simple as babies with disabilities because I've already addressed that. Sure that is an issue, but it can easily be circumvented-- although it does venture into a moral discussion about having children when there's a risk of any disability, but that's possibly off topic here.

Doesn't matter if people get turned away for being gay, and not incestuous. Actually, I wonder if a known incestuous couple would get treated poorly. I suspect they would be in certain areas, just like gay people are treated poorly in certain areas.

As for the bible, I'm sure any decent bible thumper can use Leviticus to point out why incest is "wrong". You should also take into account how homosexuality is a more visible topic. If incest were the more visible topic, and the religious community disapproved, do you think they wouldn't arm themselves with bible verses? I think so.

It all boils down to whether or not it's okay to love the person you love, and I think it should be okay. Just like a heterosexual or homosexual relationship, it should be okay, provided it is of a reasonable, lawful age, and it's is consensual.

I agreed with some of your point so stop rubbing my face in it.

I said some people find it "yucky" Which is why it's illegal in comparison with same-sex marriage and incest. That's about it.

As other people have said and what I've said myself, most [not all] but most incest doesn't start at a consenting age which is why it's illegal. Otherwise, I can understand why it could be legalized.

Mitsu said:
Cassandraks said:

Yes, the gay marriage point does have some weight to it, because it's a matter of freedom to be with who you want. Those that advocate for gay marriage aren't also advocating rape, or the forcing of heterosexuals to marry the same gender. Rape and pedophilia shouldn't even enter the discussion, because they are already illegal. If it is otherwise within the legal limits of the law, what does it matter?

The child has a chance to be born with some defects (last I read around 20%-- interested in recent research)? Then shouldn't you argue that conception between close siblings should be illegal and not the actual relationship? It's quite possible to have a sexual relationship with someone, and not get them pregnant (what about a gay relationship?). They are many ways to go about this.

A whole lot of what I've been reading is the typical "moral", and personal preference response. It doesn't matter if "you" think it's wrong, or "you" don't like, or "you" wouldn't do it. All that matters is a sound argument for why it is detrimental to the people inovlved, and society as a whole. I'm not gay, but I think gay people should be able to marry. I have no attraction to anyone in my family, but I also think that people that do, should the relationship be otherwise legal, should be able to pursue the relationship.

Obviously incest is illegal as it is, but it doesn't do anything from stopping the abuse that some people suffer. Any negative incestual relations already overlap with various rape and abuse laws, just like "normal" relationships. So, why make incest as a whole illegal?

Again, it doesn't matter whether I or anyone else arguing for legal incest want to be, or is, in love with a family member, or wants to have sex with them. It's completely moot.

very solid points. i think i agree with everything you just said.

Very interesting topic. I'll feel like contributing to the discussion.

I'm pretty much agree with the whole "If causes no harm, go ahead and do it" stance. I think sexual attraction between family members to be something normal, just as much as same sex attraction or one between a man and a woman who have never seen each other before. The very human mind, no matter how you feel about it, seems to work the subject on its own, for whatever reasons. I have no idea if I would get sexually involved with, say, my mother, had I the chance, but I do know I've dreamed about it several times out of the blue. I woke up feeling both guilty and aroused, although, given my own conviction of "live and let live" I shouldn't feel ashamed or guilty by it. To the point that I went searching the internet on the subject until I found out that dreaming about is normal for relatively large number of people. Most of them claim that don't feel said attraction to their relatives, but ocasionally dream about it nonetheless. Why some of us dreams about it, I guess its remains a mystery. I do believe, however, that said attraction is completely natural (to an lesser extent, even inevitable, as it claimed by specialists that we always search, in our mates, proeminent characteristics of our progenitors).

About it being "right" or "wrong" I think its very subjective, as said values vary from person to person. The main concern in the subject, for me, as pointed out by another member as well, would be the fact that in a lot of actual cases of incest, it happens between an older relative that takes advantage of a younger, inexperienced relative, often forcing, coercing or grooming the younger. THAT is seen by the majority as "yucky", for obvious reasons, regardless of their opinion about incest itself and anyone who studies psychology agrees that sexual development too early in life greatly affects someone for the rest of it, often in very bad ways. When thinking about the legal aspects, I do believe that the whole point of the law, to stop this kind of behaviour. That is not a rule however. I think incestual relationships can be just as healthy as any other, with the right degree of respect and love. The feelings of love should be there already, and sexual gratification would be just another way of showing said love. For each, their own, I'd say.

Now, from a law student's PoV (taken in consideration, also, WHERE I study it, since I'm not in the US), it is majorly accepted that the existence of a law does not prevent the prohibited act from happening. While its a generally accepted idea that prohibiting something by the force of law (and enforcing heavy sanctions for perpetrators) helps to prevent the unwanted act, it is in fact a completely misguided one. Very few people actually takes a prohibition into consideration when disobeying the law (hence the great number of people in jail) and because of tha, a Law acts more like a facilitator for punishing unwanted acts. It's about retribution, not prevention. What DO prevents said acts from happening are moral guides, values, principles and their own conception of right and wrong deeply rooted into their psyche not to mention people's own attatchment to those values (the relation about what they do and claim to believe, and how they act on it). That is why, the majority of people would still avoid incest, law against it or not. Quoting LadyYuna FFX2: "For me, I could never encourage my child to see anyone in the immediate family as more than merely that." That ilustrates my point. The law simply doesn't matter for her. She simply believe incest isn't the right thing for HER to do and hence, refrains from doing it. That's an idea that may pass on to her kids hence stopping them from doing it, and so on, so on. That makes the law pointless as a mean to prevent incest, but maybe an effective way to punish abusive family members, in which the statutory rape and other sexual predation legislation would, in my opinion, suffice.

I, for one, live in a country where incest is perfectly legal, the only restriction being that family members can't legally marry. Still, it is something very uncommon (at least as a public, "marital" relationship), and the vast majority seems to find it an unnaceptable behaviour that goes against the "good moral" (most of it based on religious concepts, I think). What we punish is the predatorial and abusive behavior towards anyone, no matter the nature of the relationship. The law tries to protect those who can't protect themselves or at the least, can't ensure their consent. And it works just as well as having a specific law, tailor made for incest abuse, since its the enforcement of said law (and not its existence) that actually makes the difference.

So, yes, I think a law preventing incest, is not only pointless, but also directly offends people's freedom.

I can say with absolutely certainty that I would like incest to remain illegal. I'm not trying to force my morals on anyone else, I don't have anything to say to even justify it. These people are your family, your flesh and blood, your love just shouldn't go in that direction. It just feels wrong, and seems a dangerous path to take. I don't have any evidence to prove that it should remain this way. I believe the current law in my country is that 2nd cousins are alright, as they are far enough away genetically to cancel out any fear of extra chance of deformities if birth were to happen. Also, someone said earlier that Canada's age is 19, that is only half correct. Half of the country is at 18, the other 19. However the age of consent is 14 (recently changed from 12/13 I believe).

For me consensual age is the most important. If you can legally sign a binding contract then I see no valid reason to make it illegal. Hell my 4th cousin kissed me when I was 19 and I can't say it's something I regret. Incest can have nothing to do with harming children or purposely trying to justify rape. Most hetero couples feel obligated to get married because they make a child by accident! Very few marriages are started with the purposeful intent of having children so again, deformities are moot.

Nonsensical illegalities are always overturned eventually. Issues like:
women voting,
slavery,
segregation,
gay marriage,
prohibition of alcohol
These are just a few examples of how eventually we weed out unnecessary laws and come to our senses. This is just my personal opinion and not meant to offend anyone.

I don't think my reasoning or explanations will be well thought out like most of the other posters, but I'll throw in my two cents.

If love is between two consenting adults I see no harm in it.
Though I do have a bit of an ick factor for incest I am not someone who can just frown upon someones right to love.
But it has to be consensual and each party must be older than 18 to make the right choice.

I really don't believe parents should want to have sex with their kids. They are your offspring to cherish and nurture. There are a lot of psychological reasons why that's pretty messed up.

Cousins aren't that bad because there is biological diversity and less chance of psychological damage to any potential offspring.

I'm against family unit incest. Otherwise, cousins are fine.

I agree with the above in real life. In fantasy, it's all fair game.

Eeuugh... Ahh... Err...

Look, it's alright for a fantasy, I mean a fantasy is one thing, a fantasy is an escape from reality, but with reality it brings a lot of consequences... Psychological damage and physical issues, too. Where to begin, really, I mean...

Just... No. It should not be legal to boink your sister, or your child. It is in every way damaging. It can warp a child's sense of what love and affection is, it can twist a child's sense of reality... And children don't have the mental faculties to say no. They don't understand the true consequences of a choice like this.

I mean... For the one person who made the connection between incest and homosexuality... No. This is entirely different. Homosexuality does not cause psychological damage in children, nor does it cause massive physical problems should an accidental child be a result of the incestuous union. Homosexuality is also between two consenting adults whom met each other and grew to know each other separate from their family ties.

Screwing within the family, while kinky, is not healthy. Not physically or mentally. It might be satisfying emotionally, but then, so is bashing in the skull of your worst rival in high school... But I'm pretty sure if we all did that, there would no more human race to have this discussion.

There are some things that should never leave the realm of fantasy. Incest is one of those things. Sorry.

TheMasquerade said:
Eeuugh... Ahh... Err...

Look, it's alright for a fantasy, I mean a fantasy is one thing, a fantasy is an escape from reality, but with reality it brings a lot of consequences... Psychological damage and physical issues, too. Where to begin, really, I mean...

Just... No. It should not be legal to boink your sister, or your child. It is in every way damaging. It can warp a child's sense of what love and affection is, it can twist a child's sense of reality... And children don't have the mental faculties to say no. They don't understand the true consequences of a choice like this.

I mean... For the one person who made the connection between incest and homosexuality... No. This is entirely different. Homosexuality does not cause psychological damage in children, nor does it cause massive physical problems should an accidental child be a result of the incestuous union. Homosexuality is also between two consenting adults whom met each other and grew to know each other separate from their family ties.

Screwing within the family, while kinky, is not healthy. Not physically or mentally. It might be satisfying emotionally, but then, so is bashing in the skull of your worst rival in high school... But I'm pretty sure if we all did that, there would no more human race to have this discussion.

There are some things that should never leave the realm of fantasy. Incest is one of those things. Sorry.

Your moral center does not matter. Your sexual preference does not matter. All that matters are cold, hard facts. Provide facts for why two consenting adults cannot form a relationship with each other while being connected by blood. How is it so detrimental? I've addressed the baby issue elsewhere too.

I've already explained why it is similar to gay marriage. You can go back and read that, but I'll touch on it again. It's about the right to love who you want to love. Pedophilia SHOULD not even come into this discussion, because that's an entirely different issue. It's just as wrong if a straight person did it, a gay person, a priest, a billionaire, a world leader, or a religious leader. This isn't a discussion about pedophilia, and that same argument WOULD NOT fly when discussing gay marriage: well it's harmful to children, because there's a whole lot of men who like to fuck little boys, so homosexuality, let alone gay marriage, should be illegal. That line of thought doesn't work there, and it doesn't work here either. Making incest legal would not make pedophilia legal.

If the incest is between two consenting adults, what's the issue? You, or anyone, thinking it's "icky" is not a good reason.

Inbreeding, being just one physical problem to go with it.

Look. In all honesty? It doesn't bother me. I list incest on my F-List as one of those "meh" things. (It actually takes... A lot, to bother me, to be perfectly honest.) A lot of what is against incest is cultural in nature, yes, probably because we noticed that brother and sister fucking a few generations down the line caused some severe problems later on. (Ever wondered why so many royals were completely insane or batshit? Yeahh...)

I'll reciprocate with a compromise on my part then. Leave children out (which you already say to do so we're cool), don't allow children by incest (because this seriously damages the entire gene pool), and if two consenting adults want to do it, even knowing the potential consequences of their actions... Fine. They can. Just... Don't compare homosexuality to incest again. One can actually cause some severe !@#$ing physical problems in offspring, the other does not cause any severe physical problems of any kind.

It's one of those eeww icky icky gross topics by society. Expect it to not change for a long time, if ever.

To summarize: I don't really care, it doesn't bother me at all, but there is some actual traceable physical issues with it. So long as it's done carefully and children are avoided altogether (from being born or from being exposed directly to the topic in a non-educational manner) then... Alright. I guess if two consenting adults wish to boink each other it shouldn't really matter if they're brother and sister or stranger A and stranger B.

Just... Please don't misconstrue me again. I didn't say I found it icky. It's different, almost alien to me, not icky. Icky is something like... Two girls, one cup. Icky is... Something like hard vore, or scat fetishes. Icky is not two people having sex and otherwise simply being related by blood. That's just strange to me, but not... Icky.

Back
Top Bottom