Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Archers Flurry (Irvine08 and Raziel99)

Raziel99

Pulsar
Dark times led to dark matters. And Dark Matters led to distasteful methods. But an army had to be made. People brought to the fold to a cohesive unit.

Thus did Alexander explain to his brothers. “But someone explain to me,” He said, as he lifted himself from his papers, looking from Raphael to Zalera. “How we have a few thousand footsoldiers, and only a few dozen archers?” He let that hang in the air, the other two sharing glances before looking back at Alexander. “No answer? I didn’t think so.” He pulled off his reading glasses and chucked them against the wall. They shattered, the frames twisting into a wreck of metal. “We have little time to prepare a defensive force, but if we have nothing to strike at range with, we are loss before the war has even started.”

“There is still time…” Raphael started.

“Then do something with that time!” His impatience was coming up, and the two were quick to evacuate the room before facing his wrath.

It was a long few weeks, but it wasn’t long before every tavern within several towns lengths had papers up, asking about archers to come to their estate. All the directions and instructions were there, as well as a rather nice placement for money. Not that the brothers ever had to pay out.

She sat in the back of the tavern, her cloak up over her face, hiding it in shadow as she sipped her drink. Long Strawberry blonde locks were tied back in a braid except for the few loose curls that fell out to frame her face. She had been travelling alone for some time now, on the run. Looking for a place to set up shop. But it was hard finding a place to hire a woman, let alone one that had a past like hers.

Leaving her payment on the table, Fallyn went to leave, holding her posessions close under her cloak and out of sight. They were valuable, high quality, no matter if people believed she crafted them or not. Her bow was one of the best. As she strode towards the door she caught sight of the poster. An add for archers. She smirked, her pale freckled face held hope for once. If she had to work as an archer, perhaps she could get a bonus as the personal bower of the estate. Even more money to help fund her future shop. If her dream ever came to a reality.

Tearing down the poster she set off on the directions. It took her a few days before she got close to the huge estate. Now out of the man part of town Fallyn wore her quiver on her shoulder and held her bow firmly in her hand.

Little did the woman know that she was being watched from the shadows. Raphael always kept a close eye on those that would come close to the estate, and as he saw her come from a long distance, and had a weapon held at the ready, he was vigilant. But maybe this would be a useful bowman for his brother. Who knew. As for this mysterious person, they were making a beeline for the estate, and he kept close by but out of sight. He wouldn’t ruin any sort of scout mission. His brother would kill him.

When she got close, he disappeared, getting his brothers together. When he told the news… the response was far less than he had hoped.

“One person? There is –one person- coming to the estate for the position?” His brother then turned, uttering a curse that made their ears ring in its power. “Better than nothing.” He muttered as he headed down to the Foyer. With a mutterance the rest of the people in the hall scattered. He may as well greet his guest himself. As so the three of them waited at the front doors.

Fallyn felt this to be a little awkward. There didn't seem to be anything around, no out posts, no soldiers, no training grounds -that she could see- it was all so strange. Did they have any archers?

She felt a bit unsettled and toyed with the arrow notched in her bow as she approached. Checking the directions once more she shoved the flyer back into her satchel and approached the grand door of the estate. The woman glanced around from under her hood before knocking on the elaborate door.

"This is bloody insane..." She muttered to herself. "No one in their right mind would come all the way out here for work..." The place is probably abandoned. She thought to herself, thinking the whole thing to be some messed up trick.

Knock, knock. That was all he needed. Alexander stepped forward, pulling the double doors open, seeing the woman. His eyes instantly eyed the notched bow before going over her, her figure, stance, gaze. Seemingly satisfied, he let go of the doors, stepping back, the two brothers relaxing slightly but still in vigilance.

“I see our ad got around enough.” Alexander spoke up, visibly soothed, although a note of agitation as he turned from her, heading inside and up the steps. “Although if you are going to enter my household, remove that arrow from your line. There is no reason to be primed to attack.”

It was either from speed or a quick memory wipe that she would find herself in his office, him sitting at the desk and the brothers standing at either side of the door. Alex waved for her to sit before continuing to speak once more. “I’m sure you have questions, but most of the information is listed on that paper you have in your bag.”

She relaxed a bit, as she looked from one brother to the next. Taking the arrow the replaced it in the quiver and held her bow in a less threatening way. Pushing back her hood she revealed more of her self, the pale skin and freckles and red tinted hair.

Cautiously she stepped into the estate but before she could blink she was standing in an office. She glanced around and then carefully sat down, her bow across her knees as she listened to the man speak.

"I was just curious..." She said, there was still a hint of an irish accent in her soft voice. "I didn't notice any fields or anything for your archers. Do you have any at all or was this add to get you a start?" The payment was listed pretty clearly, it was a big draw in bringing her here. "I can help you out on cutting costs if you'd be interested, for a small bonus that is."

She waited before continuing. "I trained with one of the best bowers in all of Ireland. I am a master Bower. My bows are of the highest quality, as are my arrows. I can personally supply your entire band of archers." She needed the money desperately, this job was a good opportunity, but a bonus would be even better.

It was a hassle for the brothers to silence the sound of people outside the door: After they had moved to the office, the people of the estate had crowded close to hear what was going on. This would be interesting at best.

“We do not have any archery fields yet.” Alexander admitted after a moment. “While we have a full battalion of infantry, we are… severely lacking in archery units. Hence the ad. If you would be willing and able to create a training field for our use, it would be worth a good bonus to you.”

He listened for a long minute, slowly nodding before he brought his hands up, fingers laced in front of him. “I am sure your quality is quite high. I will commission a few at a modest cost. If they are up to standards, then more will be commissioned at a generous bonus.” He stood, and almost on cue the people outside moved to open a path for the group to move. The house wouldn’t seem so empty to her very soon.

“Once a trial of your skill is done, I am certain we can place you in the army in a spot of power.”

"I can create a good set of fields for the archers." She nodded and smiled at the thought of a bonus. "You won't be disappointed sir, I can guarantee it." Fallyn got to her feet as he did. She followed him, glancing at the brothers a few time rather than the other people. They were the ones that caught her attention, they were... different.

"Spot of power?" She echoed. Nothing of the sort had ever been given to her. She stole the title of Master Bower by killing her master. And she had never been involved in a major war, small skirmishes sure, and little things here and there, but nothing nearly this organized. She smiled a bit nervously. "We shall seen then won't we." She tucked a loose curl back but it fell free and back into bright green eyes again.

She glanced at the redhead before looking back to the eldest. "So where would you like me to start? Do I have quarters where I can leave the rest of my things?"

“Yes, a spot of power. If you are a Master Bowman, as you say, that means that you would be far more advanced than anyone in my army as of current. If I remember correctly, that would put you as a small group leader, at the least.” He noticed her glance at Zalera, but didn’t say anything, as he walked to the front doors and stepped outside, heading to the front garden between the two wings of the house.

Zalera continued out around 50 feet forward before turning around, putting his hands behind his back and standing still. A smirk still played on his face. Alex turned to Fallyn with a small frown on his face. “Still, we must test you before allowing you your first bit of money and residence in the estate. Ready your bow, and fire it at him. Don’t hesitate.” He stepped a few feet back to observe.

Fallyn followed the man outside to the garden her fingers twitching on her bow, curious. She watched as the man she had looked at with the bright red hair, paced down the grass at about fifty feet. Then she heard her instruction. And she didn't hesitate. Even with her satchel and other bag strung around her, she drew one arrow and fired it. Would have landed directly in the eye. In rapid succession she pulled out another arrow. This one would have hit him in the center of his throat. The next his lower abdomen, lacerating the liver and kidney. The last shot took a split second longer, yet still only a fraction of a second as she aimed for a spot between the ribs to hit the heart.

Turning she faced Alex, blank faced. No woman should have been able to shoot like that. She didn't hit him of course, he was too good, but any lesser man would be dead in more ways than one. She let out a long breath. "Have I passed your test?" She asked awaiting his answer before looking back towards Zalera just to make sure she hadn't nicked him and he really had managed to dodge them all. She didn't really need to be injuring her employers on her first day.

Zalera was fast, the first arrow coming, and his hand coming up, grabbing it out of mid air, an inch from his face. He let his guard down for half a second, so the second arrow was a surprise that shot his guard up. It wasn’t easy, but he deflected it with the first arrow. He took his time to grab arrows and toss them aside, holding his position for a good twenty seconds before easing his stance, turning to Alex and nodding his head.

It was impressive, he had to admit. It was something he rarely saw, someone good with a bow. Better yet, a woman that was good with a weapon. “Very good.” He said, as though musing to him himself. “Yes, I believe we can find a place for you. A very good place.” He walked towards the building, pausing for a moment and waving her forward with him. “We need to find you a room. Something comfortable for your position.”

Fallyn smiled, proud of herself for once. She nodded to the man she had used as a target before hurrying after the man that seemed to be in charge. She followed him inside and finally untied her cloak, revealing her small form beneath. A petite woman, but she was well rounded. Most of the awkward shape of the cloak came from the heavy looking bags she had hanging off her shoulders. It was almost unbelievable that she was standing with so much baggage hanging all her frame.

"I really don't need anything fancy. Just a place with a bed and bath, and a place to keep my things and I'll be happy." Growing up in an orphanage, anything was better than that. She draped her cloak over her arms as she slung her bow over her shoulder with the quiver looking up at Alex.

The brothers stayed close behind, but they made it obvious that Alexander ran the show. They walked down a handful of hallways before he stopped at a door on the second floor, pulling out a key and unlocking it. “It’s a rather simple room, but comfortable enough.” He said, as he pushed it open.

It was like most bedrooms in his estate: Canopy bed, wardrobes, a washroom to the side, candles for light, no windows. It wasn’t stuffy. Indeed, it felt alluring, almost seducing in a way. “This will be your room.” He said, taking a step back. “Take your time, get use to the accomodations, and I’m sure someone will come to help if you call for it.” He left the door half open as the group left.

Fallyn's mouth fell open as she stared at the expanse of the room she was being given. It took her a moment to snap out of her haze. "T-thank you." she said as she stepped inside, shutting the door open behind her. Setting her bags down on the floor, she laid her bow and quiver out on the bed as she looked around, her hand sliding over the soft material of the blankets of the bed. This was far nicer than anything she had ever had. She took her one bag and pulled out the few articles of clothing she had and deposited them into the one wardrobe.

The other bag was full of supplies and tools, she set it on the bottom shelf of the wardrobe. Smiling she disappeared into the washroom and bathed for what felt like the first time in months. It wasn't really, but it was the first decent bath she had in a long time. Changing into a clean dress she tamed her long wavy hair but let it hang loose this time as she nodded, satisfied with the outcome of the day.

Fallyn cautiously opened her bedroom door and peeked out into the hall, wondering what she should do. Part of her was egar to start work, to go explore the fields she could set up to use for practice. But the other part was curious about her new employer. They were so...odd. She wanted to know more about them. Alexander had said just to call if she needed help right?

"Hello?" She called out timidly as she stepped into the hallway.

The door closed as two of the brothers turned away, starting to walk down the hallway, but Alexander stood where he was, looking at the door. Zalera was the one to turn around to look at him. “L’anziano? Is everything alright?”

Alexander shook his head after a moment, turning to his two brothers. “Everything is fine. Five minutes, then I want Raphael watching over her for me. Keep her safe but keep her in the estate. She can start working tomorrow. But until then, anything at all goes through me.” He walked down the hallway, past the two. Zalera shared a grin with Raphael before they disappeared into the shadows.

It was a long while before she called out, but she did. New people always did. She stepped out, and Raphael appeared, walking forward from darkness where darkness couldn’t have been, clearing out from the hallway behind him. His clothing was changed, wearing a thick longcoat and half-suit. His eyes were surprisingly cold. “You called?”

She jumped a bit, hand landing on her racing heart as she saw the man before her, seeming to come from no where. Shoulders relaxing a bit she took a deep breath and let her hand fall as she gave him a small smile, her face a bit flushed. "You startled me." She said softly glancing around. Shaking her head a bit she tried to calm her still accelerated heart rate as she stepped a bit closer. "I don't believe I caught your name earlier. I'm Fallyn, you are?" She extended her hand towards him.

"I was just wondering what exactly I should be doing right now... Should I be getting to work? Or..." She tucked a stray reddish lock of hair behind her ear as s he looked at him. "Actually I don't think I could even navigate this place properly..." She looked past him down the long corridors. It would take her a good day of exploring this estate to get a feel for where everything was.

She clasped her hands in front of her and looked back to him wondering why he seemed so stiff and cold. The others didn't seem this way, it was intriguing to say the least.

Until people got use to their powers, whether or not they knew them like that, they were always jumpy. Raphael had seen it for centuries. He didn’t return the smile, but he bowed down halfway, eyes staying on hers. “I am Raphael, the middle of the brothers.

“Alexander thinks that working today would be a… waste of time.” Raphael took a moment to find the right words. “He believes that today should be a day of rest for you, considering the distance you have travelled to get here, as well as to get situated in your new room, to get use to the estate. Work can start tomorrow.”

He listened to her for a moment, frowning slightly. “If you wish, I can call Alexander for you to show you around the estate. In fact, I think that that would be the best.”

Fallyn nodded slowly as he spoke stiffly. It was strange. He was the middle brother, yet seemed to be more like a body guard, a soldier himself than the eldest, Alexander. Did they just fall into a position they chose or were they given their roles by their eldest sibling? It was a strange thought to the woman.

"If that is what you think would be best then I guess we should go see him for a tour." She said simply still looking around a bit. Toying with a bit of her long wavy locks she waited for him to lead her in the right direction. She shivered slightly, wishing she had grabbed her cloak, or owned a shawl or some kind. The tall spacious hallways were more open than the rooms she normally spent time in and when she wasnt inside she normally had a nice fire set nearby to keep her warm. Her malnutrition most of her life kept her slim and well it didn't exactly keep her warm.

“That is what I think is best.” Raphael commented, as he turned from her, walking down the hallway from which he appeared. He took it slow, allowing her to get the directions of where she was and the general layout of the west hall.

“You think that I’m cold and unfeeling.” He said about halfway down, as they took a turn. “A rather low fact, although not completely untrue. It is merely the face I must wear for this work. It can be… dangerous at times. There was an assassination attempt just a fortnight ago. Such things… can be grating on one’s nerves, and patience.” He stopped in front of a door, not unlike the other doors of the hallways, opening it and leading her inside.

It was Alexander’s office, and he was sitting at his desk, although he stood as the door opened. “Ah, you two are here. I suppose you need me for something? If our guest is in need for hospitality, I’m sure I could get something ready for her.”

Fallyn followed him, arms wrapped around herself as she took in the ornate halls and decorations. She was still rather curious about her hosts as she followed Raphael but said nothing as he turned. "No i..." Her features flushed, embarrassed. "I'm sorry I just, You are all brothers, I didn't think you would take a job so different is all." She tried to explain, her voice soft.

Finally he stopped and opened a door leading her inside where she saw Alexander behind a desk, rising to his feet as they entered. Looking to Alexander as he spoke, Fallyn gave him a small smile and a nod. "Oh well... I was just wondering what it is you wanted me to do today." She tucked a long strand of hair behind her ear as she walked further into the room. She glanced back at the other man. "Raphael said that most likely nothing should be done today, but that maybe a tour was in order?" She looked back at Alexander from behind her sweeping bangs. "I fear I may get lost here without one... and even with one it may take me a while to learn this place." Blood rushed her cheeks darkening them as she looked around his office.

“We do what we must.” Raphael had said, before opening the door. While in the office, Alexander’s eyes were locked on Fallyn, but after she was done talking, he took a moment to glance at Raphael, his smile half-frozen.

So you brought her to me to give her a tour?

I figured it was in your domain, and that you would enjoy the time.

There was laughter in Raphael’s mind, although his stoic face stood still, as did Alexander’s smile as he turned to Fallyn. “Alright then, a quick tour, at least of the important rooms of the estate. Raphael, I’m sure you have other things to take care of, so you can tend to them.”

Raphael bowed and backed up a few steps before leaving and disappearing in the hallway, even though he could hear Alexander cursing at him in his mind. Alex moved around the desk, heading to the door and turning his head to look at Fallyn. “Well, my dear, shall we go? I’m sure you would like to get some food, so the kitchen should be first.”

Fallyn nodded with a soft smile. She waited for a moment as he moved about the room, oblivious to the exchange that took place between the men. Stepping up beside him she offered up another smile. "Lets." AS they went out into the hallway she looked up at him when he mentioned the kitchen. The woman idly wondered what food here would be like. So used to scrounging around for scraps, even eating from garbage cans, it was rare when she had good and filling meals.

The mention of food made her stomach complain and her fragile looking hands clamped down on her abdomen in an attempt to silence it. "Food sounds like a good decision." she agreed, flushing a bit across her freckled face as she followed him.

"SO what does a man like yourself busy himself with all day?" She paused, the blush on her cheeks intensifying. "Forgive the question I just, I have never been privileged to be in a place like this, or meet people like you before. I don't exactly know how things work in these kind of places."

Alexander heard the rumbling from her stomach, but he didn’t say anything until she did. “Food it is, then.” He led her down the long hallway, to the main hall. They were on the third floor, although that was quickly remedied down the main staircase. It was on the ground floor, to the left, that he opened a door and passed through the threshold, leaving the door open for her.

The room wasn’t too large, but considering the era, it was homely. A large fireplace was built against the far wall, this one more for cooking than for mere heat. There was a smooth stone slab table in the center, for cutting meat. A few side doors led to pantries that had bags of vegetables. Zalera had already went out hunting, a few slabs of deer meat on the stone top. Alex moved to grab a cleaver and fork, shifting to cut up the meat for Fallyn.

“We do what we must. There is always work to be done. It’s not always this empty, you know.” He looked up from his cutting duty to smile at her. “It’s usually chock-full of people. But I gave them a week to do other things out of the estate.” He went back to cutting the meat before throwing them on a skillet over the fire. “So it’s just the four of us here for a bit. The meat will be done soon.” He moved to a pantry, grabbing two potatoes, skinning and cutting them up.

Following him down the hallway again taking in everything as she tried to keep up with the tall man. Then they moved downstairs to the kitchen. It was warmer there from the small cooking fire, and for that she was grateful. Leaning against the counter a bit, Fallyn listened as watched as Alex spoke. She couldn't keep herself from licking her lips as the meat began to sizzle over the fire..

Nodding it made more sense now. "So that's why it seems so empty...." She commented to herself, but his smile caused her to blush a bit. She averted her eyes a bit as she smiled back at him. AS he moved about she watched him. "Is... there anything I can do to help?" She asked, straightening up.

"Honestly I never knew a place existed out here. I thought I had walked through this way before a few years ago... I could be mistaken though. I've walked a lot of places." She said idly as she washed her hands and looked for something to do in aiding in the meal.

She asked what she could do, but he chuckled, shaking his head. “It’s rare that we have people here outside of the normal group, and rarer still that I have a chance to cook. And you seem hungry. You should save your energy for eating.” He tossed the chopped potatoes into a small pot and put it over a fire, before turning to her, taking a seat. “We are surprisingly out of the way. Many people miss the building on a first glance.”

He sat idle for a few minutes before getting up, putting the meat with the potatoes, chopping some carrots and putting them in as well. He took a moment to pull out a small bottle of white powder, sprinkling a little into the pot and stirring it before turning towards her once more, letting the food simmer. “It is truly a rarity to have someone with such beauty and skill in warfare. I will not ask questions as to how you gained them. But all that is needed is your loyalty to ensure a long stay and a large payment for your service.”

Back
Top Bottom