Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Common grammar and spelling mistakes

Candira

Singularity
Ever had one of those moments where you forget which "there" to use? Or how about how to spell something? Well, generally speaking, if you're using Google or Firefox spelling is taken care of for you--I'm not sure about Internet Explorer since I haven't used it in ages for anything other than downloading Firefox.

I have here, a list of common errors that I notice when I role play, and I'll be sure to add to them. But I thought I would list some of the different things I noticed and have this be a nice resource. I'm running a little short on time this morning, but there will be more to come. And if you have a question, let me know; if I don't have the answer, I can look it up for you.

The different forms of "there"​

As you all know, English is a screwy language. There are three different versions of the word "there" that mess people up quite often. This is possibly one of the most common errors out there, so if you make it don't feel too bad. Just fix it. Below are a few ways I like to remember how to use the different versions.

• There: indicates a location or a state of affairs. I remember because it has HERE in it.
  • Their: Indicates plural possession. This one is a little harder to remember but if you think of it as possessive, you can remember that HEIRs possess things.
  • They're: They are. The only way I know to remember this is to remember that an apostrophe is used for contractions.

Where, were, and we're​

This one is common as well and very similar to the situation with all the different "there" words.

• Where: Location. Remember it has HERE in it.
  • Were: Verb. That's the best I can do for you.
  • We're: We + are. The apostrophe creates the contraction.

More to come in the future.

It's YOU ARE or YOU'RE for being something or doing something such as - " You're/ You are riding a bike." Or "You're/You are being mean."

It's YOUR - when you are in possession of something. "That is your car."

Just adding to the grammatical corrections, Candira.

By all means. :D

More for the list:

To, Too, and Two​

Most people have the difference between the numerical "two" and the rest down pat, but just as a review, see below.

• To: is indicative of a location or an end. "He went to the market," or "He gave it to her."
  • Too: Also. If you're saying something like, "Me too!" remember 2 o's
  • Two: Number. You can count, can't you?

The age old pet peeve of mine (and several others)........

Dominant vs Dominate.

DominANT is either an adjective or noun!

Dominant - adj. 1. ruling, governing, or controlling; having or exerting authority or influence: dominant in the chain of command. 2. occupying or being in a commanding or elevated position.

Dominant - n. those who partake of the D/s lifestyle and take the superior position are called dominants.

DominATE is a verb!

Dominate - v. 1. to rule over; govern; control. 2. to tower above; overlook; overshadow.

When A Comma Is Necessary:

Example: Well, we were going to go to the store and the mall, and the club before they closed.

Simple enough.

Sometimes, even I tend to get a little comma happy so know when to use it. You don't need commas for everything, except when separating "thoughts" in a sentence, or for when you are incorporating dialogue.

"I would never say that," she said to her husband.
When To Use An Apostrophe.

Sometimes, we forget to do this, especially when English isn't our first language. Or as the case may be - LAZINESS - but that's neither here nor there.

This is Eric's bike. <-- This also shows possession of an object, which is why an apostrophe is needed.

Billy and Dan can't go outside today. <-- When using a contraction in this way, which is combining two words using an apostrophe.

Tenses of verbs​

Often when I role play with people, they start to switch back and forth between past tense and present tense. Now, there are reasons to shift tense. Examples of this usually involve moving from past to present or present to future. When you do it in any other place when it is absolutely unnecessary, it becomes highly confusing.

Past tense: most people use this when rping (esp. if third person is the point of view).

Present tense: Some people prefer to use this when rping, especially if first person is the point of view.

Future tense: This would be utterly confusing to use for anymore more than characters making predictions or making ominous statements like, "Little did she know, this simple act would seal her fate."

To avoid unnecessary shifts in tense, reread your post and if it doesn't make sense or isn't necessary, change it so that it works.

Through vs Threw

THROUGH
preposition
1. in at one end, side, or surface and out at the other: to pass through a tunnel; We drove through Denver without stopping. Sun came through the window.
2. past; beyond: to go through a stop sign without stopping.
3. from one to the other of; between or among the individual members or parts of: to swing through the trees; This book has passed through many hands.
4. over the surface of, by way of, or within the limits or medium of: to travel through a country; to fly through the air.
5. during the whole period of; throughout: They worked through the night.

adverb
6. in at one end, side, or surface and out at the other: to push a needle through; just passing through.
7. all the way; along the whole distance: This train goes through to Boston.
8. throughout: soaking wet through.
9. from the beginning to the end: to read a letter through.
10. to the end: to carry a matter through.

adjective
11. having completed an action, process, etc.; finished: Please be still until I'm through. When will you be through with school?
12. at the end of all relations or dealings: My sister insists she's through with selfish friends.
13. passing or extending from one end, side, or surface to the other: a through wound coming left to right and out the other side.
14. traveling or moving to a destination without changing of trains, planes, etc.: a through flight.
15. (of a road, route, way, course, etc., or of a ticket, routing order, etc.) admitting continuous or direct passage; having no interruption, obstruction, or hindrance: a through highway; through ticket.

THREW
verb
a simple past tense of throw.
Example - I THREW the ball and watched him catch it.

Guys, not to criticize, but I know we know how to use this stuff; other people might not understand why it's not "threw" instead of "through," or "yeah" instead of "ya." Please explain a little more.

Ah vs. Awe and Aww

Ah - Is used to show a sound such as a yell or exclamation or to show understanding. "AH! He got me!" Or "Ah, I see what you mean."

Aww - is used to show that something is cute."Aww, you have such a beautiful home."

Awe - is to used a state of reverence or admiration (I tend to use it to show a kind of whimsical disbelief). He was in awe of the structure.

No, Know, and now

This is a pretty common one as well, and I'm not sure if it's just a bunch of typos, but here are the differences.

No: Negative. "No, you cannot have my food."

Know: Someone posses information. "I know what you did last summer."

Now: Present tense. "Now is the winter of your discontent."

Mr Master said:
Yeah
Yea
Ya

Different sounds, and not interchangeable.

Well, "Yeah" is how it's spelled when the Beatles sing "She loves you, yeah, yeah, yeah..."

"Yea" rhymes with "hay" and "say"

"Ya" rhymes with "ha" and "pa"

All of them have great uses, and I in no way expect anyone to not use one or the other. However, if you're trying to say "yeah" in conversation, don't try to save letters. This isn't texting (which also goes for "you" and "are" and so forth).
--+Hahvoc Requiem+-- said:
Ah vs. Awe

Ah - Is used to show a sound such as a yell or exclamation or to show understanding. "AH! He got me!" Or "Ah, I see what you mean."

Awe - is used to show that something is cute, or to be in a state of disbelief.

"Awe, you have such a beautiful home." Or He was in awe of the structure.

Actually, I'd use "aww" instead of "awe" for the purpose of cute or being charmed or so forth, and reserve "awe" for the sense of amazement purpose.

That may be a personal preference, but I think many would agree.

"Aww" is really more of a sound people make, so I would let it slide as an onomatopoeia. But Hahvy is correct: it is not a "real" word.

Breathe VS Breath

This is possibly the MOST common mistake I've seen. Sometimes people forget the e when they need it. Other times, they just don't know.

So here's the difference: Breathe is the verb. Breath is the noun.

Know it's a little late, but that I see a lot is the non-existent capitalization of "I" (when writing speech in an RP or if the RP is in first person)

Maybe it's just a pet peeve of mine, but too many times in RPs have I seen the 'I' left in lowercase. There's a SHIFT key, people. Press it.

Also on the subject of contractions:

Wouldn't've is NOT proper apostrophe use. It's wouldn't have. Same goes for Couldn't've and Shouldn't've

Lose vs. Loose

Lose - to misplace something like an object or something of importance. To not win. "They are gonna lose the playoffs."

Loose - something that isn't tight. Wiggly. "The bolt was loose."

Shoot vs. Shot

Shoot - to fire, to release with great force - "I like to shoot my guns"

Shot - Past tense of shoot (fired, released with great force) - "He shot his seed deep inside her"

Razgriz said:
Shoot vs. Shot

Shot - Past tense of shoot (fired, released with great force) - "He shot his seed deep inside her"

Wow...is this actually a concern?

Candira said:
Razgriz said:
Shoot vs. Shot

Wow...is this actually a concern?

I've seen it.

Seriously, the meme "How do I shot web?"

Back
Top Bottom