Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Concept for a Survival Horror Based World

Who here would actually enjoy joining a survival horror in the Persistent Workds

• I Should as Hell Would!!!

Votes: 8 88.9%
  • Fuck no [ Is a loser]

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Maybe I need to see where this goes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Survival Horror scares me shitless.

Votes: 1 11.1%

• Total voters

Sanoci

Bloody Heart Shaped- Box
Salutation fellow members of Blue Moon

Since its recent conjuration, I have been very tempted to explore the confines of my depraved psyche. That being said the Persistent Worlds is still fresh, lacking many different realms to entertain oneself. Survival Horror or simply the horror genre itself has always fascinated me, thus far the idea something like a zombie apocalypse. With various media and authors like H.P Lovecraft influencing such nightmare fuel, I wish to have you the members of blue moon to assist me if you're interested in trying out a fun roleplay.

The concept would be civilization is on the verge of extinction to say the least. Amongst the former human population of about 6.5 billion people, you could literally cut that number to approximately 100,000 people max around the whole world. Worse news is the number is dropping every day of course. Its about 1 to 2 years after the start of the outbreak for the setting.

At the moment still thinking about how these creatures will be, but they won't be some "typical" shuffling zombie. Any who, input would be greatly appreciated.

Would they be more like the Left 4 Dead zombies with different classes, or would the strain of virus affect different races of people differently thereby creating multiple breeds all with some given mutation, dependent on where they were turned and their genetic makeup? Just positing a question so that I may be able to help you better ^^"

First off.... apocalypse = <3 Second off.... survival horror = <3. That said, I'm down with the idea. Like AD said though, how do you envision these zombies? I've never played L4D, but have heard of it and I'm very good at researching things and can do so if needed. Not just on the L4D thing, but anything really. Another idea to consider, however, for zombies would be something out of Max Brook's "World War Z". Fucking fantastic book if you haven't read it already. XD Also, how was the virus spread? Was it ala RE where it was man-made or was it something that naturally occurred or... yes, let's get crazier... something that happened due to otherworldly interventions (whether or not the people on Earth were aware of it at the time or not). Anyway, just curious. How do you envision civilization to be? Small pockets? Totally isolated cities? Oh the possibilities.... hehe.

I admit your comments alone is already fueling possible ideas. Originally the concept was described to mutate the person based on the genetic makeup. For those who played games like Dead Space or Resistance Fall of man; both of these series had unique strains of viruses. Part of me wanted to be more original, involving a creature that originally was isolated from the world but alas we ignorantly discover it and capture it for testings and whatnot. Or we go beyond that and have civilization uncover something underground where it unleashes this near supernatural bacteria that causes this. Last was a mutation in something we have in common like rabies.

For fairness animals would not get infected, I kinda want my roleplayers to really try at farming and hunting creatures as a means of survival. Imagine cities like Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania in Land of the Dead with the city becoming a sanctuary and made with a feudal government. Read max brook's books and I have consider them in my equation. For the Fallout fans I might have 1 area like those vaults made, etc. Hell even a semi-torn university used as a secure base for survivors. Once I have this world made and a story, willing to have those who want to rp to possibly be leaders of a small community, design a safe zone and stuff like that.

Civilization are kinda in small pockets, but it varies. Might have a fictional city made that is the equivalent of Tokyo, New York city, etc. Practically a huge city for its central environment. Maybe its like 2013-2014 when this occurs and in an alternate universe a new city was forged around 2010 to celebrate something xD.

Hrm... I personally like the supernatural idea (or you could make it otherworldly, which might be more 'believable'). Though... do you want to go the route of virus or bacteria? They're very different and work differently as far as both infection and potential treatments go. You'll have better luck and believability if it's a virus. Viruses spread faster and can become airborne, not to mention species specific. Plus, you cannot cure a virus. You either prevent it with a vaccine or you deal with it. Vaccines do nothing if you've become infected and once infected, the virus must run its course.

Anyway, I like the idea with civilization. Isolated pockets that have formed cities and/or safe zones, etc. makes sense and is something that would probably happen if such a thing occurred. Another angle to consider are those who refuse to band together with civilization. You'll have people who go rogue, for lack of a better term. Chaos would unfold if such a thing occurred and that chaos would, in turn, cause some people to take on the mind set - every man for himself. This would instill a type of paranoia to be certain and I can see it causing several to do things they normally wouldn't. But given the situation they'll defy normal laws not to mention typical common sense. And there will be those who will just be bastards because they can be. They strike upon the timid and weak and try to build themselves up accordingly.

That all said, it would be interesting to see the variety. How people in larger and more protected cities live vs those in small towns or those who go it alone. And, of course, the renegade hostiles. hehe.

Raiders, Ex-military, and such were already under consideration for this. Story wise governments have completely been eradicated, having those with the natural charisma, proper judgment, and willpower to form their own simple communities. The fallout series for example have shown what society is capable of, whether its creating a town out of junk or residing within an abandoned boat docked. Like how certain series have portrayed, I might have levels of zones established by those who made these factions and settlements. I want to typically give people the option to choose whatever they want.

What would you suggest if I placed an otherworldly virus. Thinking long and hard about it I can see them discovering a mineral that NASA brought back via the moon possibly. There we can easily say that behind it people slowly get infected, but unlike the strain that ravages civilization this will progress slowly; approximately a few weeks which gives these astronaut enough time to go back within their homes. Afterwards you can guess what occurs. Decided the infection varies on each person, turning them in a few minutes to a few hours max. For utter fairness and a twist there is a 1-2% of immunity and those who get through the process are now marked with the same scent of the infected. In other words they no longer get attacked for food, but being the aggressor will trigger hostility. Sadly most victims get killed before they are given the opportunity, but generally after the two hour mark they start to go through agonizing pain for almost an hour as the virus mutates their DNA.

Haven't thought of the virus characteristics, but I got an idea. However, I want to hear more opinions before I say anything.

Oooh! I like all of that myself. Concerning the governments and settlements and the like. All very believable plus I think it leaves room for creativity of those who join in the world. As for the virus. Good idea there too. Another possibility is that the virus could be dormant and remain so until something triggers it. Then, once triggered, it can spread like wildfire. So, say the astronauts get exposed and the virus gets into their system. The virus stays dormant until they return planet-side because perhaps by entering our atmosphere the triggers can begin. It can be something in our air. But that's up to you (assuming you even remotely like this angle), possibilities are again nearly endless. Anyhow, that aside, I love the idea of some having natural immunity. I think that's very believable as well. AND... even if there are people with this immunity, getting vaccines together will still be a difficult thing. You'd need resources for starters. Plus, not sure what you know about antibodies, but growing them for testing takes at least a month per test not to mention you have no idea if the test will give you the results you desire. It could take several tries. Typically it can take years. And that's with resources and personnel. So yeah. Very believable. I likessss it! XD

Ohhhh.... and this is totally a tangent and I know it. BUT, it's worth saying anyway. Love the avatar. Hellsing = <3 And Alucard? Yeah..... he can bite me any damned day. lolol. >.<

Judging by the information on your profile, I would definitely trust your opinion over this. Honesty being triggered by our atmosphere would be an excellent, but simple reason on how the virus is triggered and in your exact words spread like wildfire. Going with this, I suddenly thought about these first victims being carriers, but they spread the disease by blood or saliva like rabies, but then I thought of being sexually active as another possibility. With all of these considered, everyone would be infected quickly even with a team of 4-6 astronauts in different areas. If you have any input on means of infection I'll gladly hear it.

I've seen the process of vaccines, but like to think story wise that currently there isn't one or at least not completely made. With the low percentage you can guess a few 100 who live are currently immune. Hell that alone gives me the idea of a immune haven in this world. The metamorphosis I thought about displaying in these infected creatures could be inhuman eyes that seem predatory like a hawk for example, talon like hands, teeth changed, and physical augmenting like speed, strength, endurance, etc. Primarily it'll depend on the victim. Immediately I thought of a true abomination opposite of the immunity, for those with rare diseases or genius like IQ they can become sentient in a way, but serve the mutation. Maybe its silly, but it would explain in some ways how in about 2 years civilization is almost dead.

Neat feature in those immune will peak physical stats for them and the curse of exhibiting the eyes of the infected. Its a blessing, yet a fucking curse as well. Haven't decided whether or not like carriers they can spread the infection, making them true black sheep. It will be a hardship for them, maybe explaining why they form their own community. Most likely it will not spread or else they are just carriers in nature.

Oh and thanks, Hellsing is one of my favorite series and I loathe how vampires are now... <.< Damn you sparkling fairies representing vampires. Now I know what to do ~forms an Alucard like character to mess with you~ xD

Nice! Yeah. I do think it would be both plausible and fun to work it that way as far as triggers and dormancy go. When it comes to how it's spread, it's easiest if you stick to bodily fluids. I'd keep it generalized b/c then you're increasing chances of infection yet not letting it get so out of control it's insane. Now, an airborne version of the virus could be interesting, but could be difficult to RP with b/c the chances of infection would rise exponentially by that point making it so that pretty much everyone not immune would get it. And that'll sort of destroy the premise you're shooting for here. However, if you did want to work in something airborne, you could have it such that the airborne strain did get a vaccine. But again, you run into issues with vaccines in general there. So, imho, leave it to bodily fluids only (including, saliva, mucus, blood, semen, female ejaculate, etc).

Interesting ideas about levels of infection. Again, seems plausible enough. After all, in the world of the real, when people contract viruses, there are those who will get much sicker than others. Why? Who knows. Could be a multitude of things really. But what you've mentioned would work, I think.

LOLOL!!! This is why Alucard is one of the best vampires out there. He's narcissistic, megalomaniacal and just fucking bad ass! No sparkles, no silliness. He's just.... Alucard! XD Nice to know there's another fan out there. *dreams of Alucard*

I will give you my two scents, why don't you CREATE the monsters?. In my opinion Zombies are overdone and overrated, they lack of a key factor that is creativity since there is so much out there. In my personal opinion you should create the monsters, create the thing that caused it to exist. I have a very dark mind since I am a storyteller of World of Darkness, my mind caused my real life friends to stop playing because I freaked them out lol (playing in a room without light and only a candle can do that to people). So yea I would suggest creating your own stuff, I was thinking of maybe doing a horror rp but I am not quite sure if I would do it. Either that or running a WoD campaign myself.

So zombies with a twist, eh? That would be rather fun. I'm a fan of both the apocalyptic setting along with zombies or any mutant-like creature you can think of that's a result of some major catastrophe. Zombies are just one of those loves. But the idea of revamping them into something more could be rather entertaining. Perhaps there could be a hierarchy of zombie-like creatures that was sort of mentioned earlier by Sanoci. Then you have a range of mutants going from nearly sentient to practically brain dead. If that idea is scrapped by the masses, what sort of monster-like mutant are you thinking of? Obviously not some brain eating, animated corpse. lol. So I'm curious now...

A thought I had about monsters would be something similar to Firefly's Reevers. Those things were fucking scary as hell!!! Emotionally unstable, unpredictable to say the least and absolutely relentless until they captured their targeted prey. It was interesting that they had a community and were intelligent enough to both hunt rather effectively and efficiently not to mention pilot ships in a way that showed they had thinking and reasoning skills. Sure, their drive was baser than most. But you cannot deny the fact that they were smart.

Anyway, just more for people to ponder and go off of. I have to say this discussion has been interesting. I can't wait to see what it eventually yields. :)

To be frank the more I design them, the further they relate to those stereotypical zombies. Like the dreaded necromorphs they were an unique type of undead. Revamping is essentially what I am doing with these abominations. The two cents is appreciated Acid, but I do admit creating something completely fresh would be difficult. So my answer to that is using zombies as the model and alter as I go.

Hierarchic society of these infected monstrosities was always a factor I firmly thought about. It would be something bizarre, yet a little original in regard to a virus. I figure the top of the bad ass chart would have hive mind control over the lesser creatures and whatnot. What I can already claim is the bestial eyes they gain end up giving them night vision, hands and toes become talon like in feature, and have sharp, pointed, retractable teeth that emerge from their gums and extend beyond their human teeth. Perhaps a perfect explanation for greater strength, speed, and endurance originates from the acceleration of blood being pumped, increasing the heart rate to levels that are normally impossible. This can be like the equivalent of taking steroids because his/her muscles are receiving enough blood to do things otherwise inhuman. For true horror other than the characteristics stated, their exterior is the same minus the higher up ones mutating their preexisting defect or disease.

There was something grotesque I visioned that might be rejected out of fear, but I see it as another aspect to be terrified of them. Like the dark spawn of Dragon Age their plague could work differently for females. They captured, fed the victims their taint and etc. In a perverse way I might include them to occasionally take their prey alive to sex them up for reproducing stronger creatures. Not too certain on that just yet. True alien concept would be males could be utilized for this too, but they literally sniff out those who are potential mates for it. <.<

Also I agree on Alucard, minus the dreaming about him xD

Very intriguing and actually I think it makes them scarier though in a way that could make the RP and setting more fun. People would be more inclined to run their ass off if they came across one knowing full well what COULD happen other than just being killed. That said... do the creatures have the urge to feed off humans? And if so, does feeding off them cause them to change since their bodily fluids is obviously riddled with the virus and if they bit and consumed would thus infect whoever it was they tried to eat, etc. This also brings up another question. If this is indeed the case... do they stay partially consumed or do those parts regenerate somehow? I know with your typical zombie they pretty much stay how they are since they're considered a reanimated corpse. Thus, if they're partially eaten or what have you then that's how they stay. Here, your creatures don't seem to really be corpses, but mutants. So, I was curious. Either way I think it would be fine. Just wondered what YOUR thoughts were on that. :)

Specifically they are starting to be a fusion of mutants and a corpse. I do generally like to add the infection springing the body back to life, making it easier to increase its numbers. Not to mention it adds to the panic as well. The very creatures we have brainstormed have the urge to eat anything not corrupted by the virus, so animals are threatened but the virus for some fairness cannot become these vile beasts. Following the example of Jeeper's Creepers the antagonist needed to consume said body part to regenerate it.

The mind fuck of them healing would be plausible by unknown means, but essentially they are cannibalistic beasts like any predator in the wild. Head shots preferred, but the amount of damage needed to eliminate them is far greater. Evolving by the consumption of flesh would be awesome, but I have other means for that. Other than nourishing them, feeding on one could be like getting healed by a potion. Maybe for every human fully consumed they repair like 25% of the body and partial like a limb might do minor work. Does that appear too strange or not?

Dark think you can make some more players you know flock over here. Do not get me wrong you and those with their sole posts have helped thus far. Just trying to find the other horror fans who might partake xD

I referred to this in the bluemoon chat that if anyone gets bitten via a limb, there the option of amputating your limb off. Prosthetic limbs are going to become more common in this world, especially if one of the survivors is some kind of war veteran as I imagine. For realism in this roleplay, the one bitten has about 10 minutes max until severing off a limb is no longer a viable option to stop the infection from spreading. Although, I figure based on the settlements built some might have better prosthetic than others. Might have wooden stumps to close to auto mail arm for examples. That is all I got at the moment, maybe some other questions will get the blood pumping in this brain of mine.

SlyNuwasha said:
Just count me in. But dont get mad if i am.. alittle off wallabout this lol

Nah, I only get a little mad when I anxiously come to see new replies and all I get is a count me in. Does no one read the name of this forum? Sorry I was just really enjoying all the discussions last night pertaining to this world.

>.>
<.<

Weeeelllllll.......

I find the concept of regeneration by flesh consumption fairly interesting. It's graphic to say the least, not to mention pretty dark as far as content goes. Now, of course for this we're going into the whole concept of 'suspension of disbelief' since consuming anything isn't going to necessarily make something regenerate. But given the otherworldliness of the virus, people can sometimes overlook such things. However, you could say that perhaps somehow during the infection process, the genetic make up is altered in such a way that they develop the regeneration often seen in lizards. Like how if they lose their tail, it grows back. Of course, even with reptiles, such regeneration is limited to specific parts and in this case it would be game for everything. So, no matter what, you're delving into things that more than likely could never be. BUT.... given that this is also for fun, things don't have to be perfect. That's the beauty of fiction. The key is just to do whatever you can that is indeed believable and then to make that which isn't seem like it could be if you disregard a few minor things. Things minor enough that they seem like they wouldn't matter. In this case, I think you'd be fine. After all, this is fantastical fiction. It's just taking place in a world that's crazy fucking scary. XD

We tend to desire everything in ways we can conceive as logical under the right circumstances. If we indeed had to use real life examples, I could present in a small list examples of creatures with some form of healing factor in the real world.

-The axolotl is a neotenous amphibian that could regenerate limbs and organs that were damaged or lost. Although it doesn't give it Immortality, it does make it live much longer. It's used as a model in biomedicine.

-The hydra (not the mythological creature, but the polyp) can regrow nearly any damage. It can be sliced in several pieces and each of the pieces can grow into a functioning polyp. Being a very simple animal with two layers of cells and no nervous system or complex organs helps.

-Most leafy plants are able to regenerate from practically any damage, as long as they can still acquire nutrients and the materials needed to synthesis sugars (in other words, their roots and leaves still need to be at least partially functional). Not even necessarily the roots — many plants can be propagated from cuttings. In fact for a large number of domestic fruit trees, grafting a piece of an existing tree onto an existing rootstock is the only way that they are reproduced.

Yes the perks of fiction allows anyone to forge things straight out of our dreams or nightmares in this particular case. Registering that thought process, the examples given alone can justify a scientific reason if I wish to bestow it for this otherworldly virus.

Although not very trivial or vital at the moment, I decided to classified the infected in an uncomplicated manner to better comprehend what I intend to unleash in this savage world.
---------

Tier 1: Normal infected that otherwise can affect speed, strength, etc based on the subject. Healthier people otherwise will be more feared, though the fatty chasing you was a world class weightlifter, such things will be accounted once the physical statistics are augmented.

Tier 2: Vigorous killing machines spawned by the humans they drag back to their territory, rape, and find ways to keep them alive often by simply maiming limbs and by simple shit like wrapping them or relying on the higher tiers to keep alive. They are faster, stronger, and compared to the mindless ones can do some functions like wrapping wounds to a degree, open doors. Stuff that very simple pretty much. Their numbers are much lower, but valued.

Tier 3: Those cursed with a mutation gene or cell wise or suffering from a rare disease will often morph into an abomination that has the primal urges of tier 1, but the superiority of tier 2. Varying in a multitude of ways, they can be like the special infected from L4D for example.

Tier 4: A rarity are these infected, otherwise the executive table in terms of hierarchy. Each were originally individuals with greater Intellect starting by the estimate IQ of 132 where that is deemed Superior intelligence to 164 where we begin the journey to genius level IQ. These beings can shift between human and their infected form, have unique mutations, and are much harder to kill essentially. Expect each 1 to bestow a hive mind near its presence.

That all I have left to say on the infection for now, feel free to make further suggestions on this subject. Soon it seems we'll chat more on society and the stuff around it.

• Hallo there! I'm totally in on this roleplay. Ecstatic to join in, I should say.

I'm thinking that in this world, while the degrees of infection may vary, they are divided into three categories: The Infected, the Immune, and the Carriers. Later on, we may create subcategories within these three.

The Infected
    These are the people that have the full blown virus, and are beyond hope. They carry the symptoms of well, the Infected. Have we decided on the symptoms? In this category, there, again, can be varying degrees. I was thinking that the Virus can mutate the longer a person is Infected. So those who were Infected first (the astronauts, maybe?) might be a lot more mutated than those freshly Infected. Intelligence rises as the mutations progress, and they climb in the hierarchical system of the zombies. At this point, the astronauts would be fully-fledged leaders of whatever hive they control. They would probably have a huge hive of zombies at this point, and would have manipulative powers along with other sorts of powers, as well as capable of intelligent thought and communication. They would not, however, be able to regain compassion, emotion, and memories, although they can pretend to. These are highly mutated Infected, and it should take a while before they can reach this stage. Tier 4 infection. And Sano, since you've mentioned that eventually the Virus terminates the person, then the next smartest Infected would have taken the astronauts' places.

Mutants will naturally join/start a hive as the Virus develops within them. Freshly Infected persons will be independent, until they gain enough smarts to realize there is safety in numbers. They will also be at the bottom of the hive hierarchy, until they mutate even more.

The Carriers
    The Carriers would be the main reason as to why the Virus was spread so quickly. This is the beginning of the Virus. Just like HIV, the Virus can only be transmitted by exchange of bodily fluids (ejaculate, blood, saliva, mucus, breast milk, etc). Carriers are like ticking time bombs. They can be asymptomatic at first, and later on as the Virus mutates within them they will start to show symptoms. Eyes change first, but then they can still go about their daily activities, and they would be mistaken for the Immune. Later on, the Carriers will begin to exhibit almost animalistic behaviors.

Depending on the human and their immune system, as well as how much the Virus is present within them, it may take hours, days, weeks, months, or even years before they are fully Infected. This explains the danger of Carriers, and again, why the Virus was spread like wildfire.

The Immune
    These are the 2% of the world's population that are completely virus-free. That does not mean to say, however, that they are not afflicted in one way or another. Those Immune are forever scarred with eyes resembling Carriers and freshly Infected, however they will not exhibit any more symptoms beyond that. Eyes remain the same because they are scars left by the virus. They are only Virus-free because their white blood cells have adapted well enough to kill the Virus within them. So the pattern is as follows: Virus is in system, then immune system goes to kill it.

No matter how fast the white blood cells eradicate the Virus, the Immune will always have eyes scarred to a certain degree. But once the Virus is killed, they cannot be infected by it again, unless they come in contact with another mutation of the Virus. It's up to the human whether or not they can develop a resistance to it and kill it again, or whether they become Carriers.

Once again, these are newborn ideas that are badly in need of further development. Any bits of feedback and constructive criticism are warmly welcomed.

EDIT: Just a suggestion... The smartest infected can be part of a Council. Whenever someone actually dies from the Virus, the next smartest can take their place.

Infected

Perhaps I did not worded this right, but the virus does not kill its host once turned completely. That was referring to those who were still human and got infected. Literally like a heart defibulator, it revives the victim and only then do they become a full fledged abomination or zombie if you need a term. Symptoms to tell who is indeed these things was said, but to tell someone is transforming into one not yet. Eyes will be a vital part, but shit like fever, maybe cramps since the structure of the body is changing, etc. Hierarchical system will be pretty stable, but with each new infected the possibility of change is truly possible. Zombies naturally go as a horde when chasing for prey, but I might include my tier 3 and 4 as factors to influence there lil hive or pack. Might suggest a council, but for some ambitions and whatnot might fuel a lil civil war. After all been two years since the infection started.

The Carriers

I do like the idea you have behind carriers and honesty it seems justified to add them after the premise you introduced. A bit of a wildcard, but it also will present some discrimination on those truly immune. The perks I established for those immune will likely be included to further fool people. Animalistic behavior would be a fun symptoms to try out for those willing to try it out.

Immunity

I gave all my previous input, so you can read there on what I essentially have planned for them.

---------

Overall not bad ideas, but that's why we post this shit in the first. To discuss, improve, maybe import in the end. The whole caste system of the tier 4 will probably be used. Man Do I pity the actual humans in this horrible setting.

Profile Format

User name:
Character Name:
Sexuality:
Appearance:( Prefer to write a description then if you wish use a reference picture]
Height:
Weight:
Home:(Where your character lived before the outbreak.)
Skills: ( For skills list from a 1 to 5. One is basically very poor and 5 is near mastery. Attempt to balance out.)
Personality:
Equipment: ( Be reasonable with this plz)
Weapon: ( Primary weapon at least)
Pre-Biography: (For lack of better word, Details character's life before the outbreak.)
Biography: (Detail's character's life after the outbreak occured, leading into current events.)

[ Might add a better format, but this should suffice ]

I still have to read the last 2 posts, but.... is this a Group RP? As in, will the RP itself actually be posted in Group Roleplays?

darkangel76 said:
I still have to read the last 2 posts, but.... is this a Group RP? As in, will the RP itself actually be posted in Group Roleplays?

Could have swore it was obvious this was going into persistent worlds like I originally planned, unless Group rp seems like a better choice in your opinion.

Back
Top Bottom