Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Improving

Wolf_Demon

Supernova
So, I was wonder how to improve my writing and rping a bit more, I don't feel like I'm doing my best and was wonder what to do. I've got a reading and writing comprehension disability, so something it's hard to make a good roleplay, so you guys got any ideas of how I can improve, my writing.

First and foremost, just because you have a reading/writing disability does not mean you can't overcome it. Sure, it takes time and patience, but it can be done. I assure you that. Firstly, have you sought out help to try and work through it? That might be a great option just to get yourself started. If not, perhaps googling for information on how to tackle the disability might help as well. However, as you go through those processes, I suggest that you take your time with whatever it is you're writing, be it a story or for an RP. Try and look for patterns in your writing as well as patterns in how you find your mind processing that which you're trying to convey through story. Also, try having your pieces proof read by someone who's opinion you value and trust. Make sure they're aware of the disability you have and that you want them to work with you. I've no doubt that if you follow any of this advice, you'll find yourself improving by leaps and bounds. And trust me when I say it can be overcome. I don't have a reading/writing disability, but a number one. Dyscalculia. And as someone with such a learning disability, I've proven it countless times that I'm hardly stupid at math. It just took some work. So have heart. You're not alone and you too can prove yourself an amazing writer. :)

As DA pointed out it just takes time. I can attest to this from having to deal with ADHD. It is something I have had, and will continue to cope with for the rest of my life. Does this mean I can't get anything done, no, but it means that i had to learn ways to deal with the problem. One of my Exes was Dyslexic, we both found the same thing helped. taking a deep breath, slowing down and looking at what we were doing, helped us get the work done, and with a minimal amount of errors. If you need to get counseling to help do it. It took me two years of constant medication to finally get to where I could cope with my disability without it. Take your time and focus on what you want and you will achieve it.

There's this chess adage, "The only way to get better is by playing a smarter opponent."

The fucking genius part about RPing is that it's like chess, in that it's essentially collaborative, and functions as a way to work on your writing. So when you RP, try to do so with people who you perceive as better than you. When they make a response, read it, then read it again to figure out what you liked and incorporate those things into your own writing.

It works really well. It's how I learned to properly paragraph. But it'll take a little while. Give it a year. Give it two, if you have to. A year or two from now though, you'll look back and you'll get all shiny eyed and shit and go, "Wow, I used to suck dick compared to how I write now."

Well, what if he likes to suck dick? That may not be a valid analogy, in that case.

In all seriousness, yes, consciously work on and/or account for your problem, as they've said, and actively read and incorporate what you've read, as ZG said. But what I think is most important is that you have to practice. And I don't just mean RPing, you need to keep actively reading and writing other things, too. Comic books, novels, short stories, etc. It can all help, if you do like ZG says and actively pick it apart.

A thing that really improved my own writing is asking for criticism and comments, I know people haaaate asking for errors because it can be demoralizing if you aren't expecting it. It can be a double edged sword, my girlfriend gave me scathing criticism back in the day that both demoralized and inspired me to do much, much better. In moderation, some honest, blunt assessments of your writing ability always helps.

Thanks for all the advice. I remember when I first started writing, no one knew what I've said at all back then, but I'm a little better then I was then now, but I like to improve more, so I will try.

Back
Top Bottom