Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Blue Moon Leadership Discussion

I'm moderately code/tech-savvy, but not to an extreme extent. But I am pretty interested in becoming a moderator. I understand that I haven't been ridiculously active on BMR for awhile, but I've become incredibly active the past while.

Regardless of whether or not I am made a mod, or a rank of anything, I would like to help out, more.

I will help with signatures, for BlueMoon recruiters, or even just all-around graphics.

I have graduated from Web Design, which made me learn the basics and intermediate levels of Adobe CS3-CS5.

Lol, Nihilistic.

ALL FEMALE ROLEPLAYERS MUST BE CHAINED UP UNTIL NEEDED! >.<

Though about 75% of the BM female base, wouldn't mind that.

Lawless said:
Lol, Nihilistic.

ALL FEMALE ROLEPLAYERS MUST BE CHAINED UP UNTIL NEEDED! >.<

Though about 75% of the BM female base, wouldn't mind that.

What ever makes a person happy XD.. bu I for one am NOTone of those females..he he:D

Well, VOTE MISAN, GET PANCAKES.

Nah, Nihil and I would work hand in tentacle. Wearing the dual monocles of class and tyranny.

Remember folks, we're only unnamed horrors until you give us a moniker!

Misan would be EPIC.

>.>; Just sayin.

Though if we do not like certain canidates...Sorry Novi but I can't say I'd approve.

I would nominate Harriet since she's got some mod experience but she's in overkill right now >>;

As for me - I think I'll stay with Open Roleplay unless people decide otherwise.

TakodaVega said:
Misan would be EPIC.

>.>; Just sayin.

Though if we do not like certain canidates...Sorry Novi but I can't say I'd approve.

I would nominate Harriet since she's got some mod experience but she's in overkill right now >>;

As for me - I think I'll stay with Open Roleplay unless people decide otherwise.

So are you possibly suggesting that we bring our rp skills to the table as a deciding factor? It doesn't seem to have a great deal to do with mod experience but why not? XD.. That would be great fun!

I'd like to put myself down for a mod poition. I know I've not been actively posting for some time, but I only tend to post when I feel I can bring something relevant to conversation.

I'm not too well known. But that can be a benefit really. I've no favourites to play, and no pre-existing biases against anyone on the site, so I can respond to circumstances as they arise, and treat each person with the same fairness.

I've done some mod work on a few other sites, though they were admittedly not as well put together as BM.

...What? o.o

Nono - I'm the Moderator for Open Roleplay =P

I've been an Admin and a Global mod on 7 different Forums (Most of these nuked). What I meant is I think it would be nice for SOME of the people applying to have some skill in the Mod role and not just be like. "POWAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH"

If you get my drift.

How would that experience be demonstrated? I could easily say I was a mod on a forum of a now unregistered domain, there'd be no accountability or checking. Beyond that, how would one reliably prove one had done a reasonably effective job in that position?

Is there a litmus test?

TakodaVega said:
...What? o.o

Nono - I'm the Moderator for Open Roleplay =P

I've been an Admin and a Global mod on 7 different Forums (Most of these nuked). What I meant is I think it would be nice for SOME of the people applying to have some skill in the Mod role and not just be like. "POWAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH"

If you get my drift.

oh yea, lmao, like I said, I've been a global mod on a rather large site for over 5 years now, so I do understand XD

Why not have the potential mods give a brief (and serious) explanation of what they could and would do if given the position to allow others a better sense at their abilities?

Zombies Galore said:
How would that experience be demonstrated? I could easily say I was a mod on a forum of a now unregistered domain, there'd be no accountability or checking. Beyond that, how would one reliably prove one had done a reasonably effective job in that position?

Is there a litmus test?

Referrals? That would be the main thing - Besides Vek has the final say in things anyway. I think it would be up to him.

I don't think referrals are a fair or accurate judgment of a person's leadership skill. Just because you lead doesn't mean you'd refer a lot of people. Also just because you're good at recruiting doesn't necessarily mean that you'd be good at moderation, recruiters are good at recruiting, a mod is multifaceted.

I was referring into reference of a Defunct forum - if you had a Referral that you did yes at least were Mod at thus and thus a place that's one thing.

TakodaVega said:
I was referring into reference of a Defunct forum - if you had a Referral that you did yes at least were Mod at thus and thus a place that's one thing.

Your phrasing is a bit off but I still hold the same ground as it would be far too easy to just get someone to vouch for you. In any case from my dealings Vekseid is levelheaded and almost peerless on site for attentivenes...I vote for a clone of Vekseid.

Zombies Galore said:

Is there a litmus test?

I don't really have a test for moderators. It's a combination of 'will you abuse your position' and 'will you use your position'. Those are both very hard qualities to judge from past experience, in particular because some people will lose interest in a site for any number of reasons, even if they remain active elsewhere.

I can pull some activity metrics of people though, checking, for example, how many days they made a post in, and making a judgment about that. But that's entirely internal to this site.

'Will you abuse your position' is why applicants are going to be put through a bit of a grinder. It's not just a matter of pruning people that get a lot of complaints, but also just setting some ground rules of entrance. "You agree not to abuse your position." I have booted people for this, and this thread is not the first such incident across the sites under my control. Making people aware of that helps. Not just in letting the membership know that they can talk to me about incidents, but also in the mod team knowing that yes, there is a guy up there with an axe.

<rant>
For people who claim to program, I usually just ask some dinky one-line of code question. If they are lying about their ability, they give me various bullshit about how I should cut them some slack (for a single line of code), rather than admit that they lied to me and do not in fact know jack fucking shit.
</rant>

I'd probably ask something similar of people who say they know css.

My boy is a programmer, he omerly worked briefly for IBM, always wants to learn new code and he's too laid back to really abuse anything, should I ask him or do you want people who have site history?

I kinda wished I kept up with my CSS practicing now. XD

Anyhow, if I was appointed moderator you wouldn't have to worry about me abusing power. I am active when it is needed for me to be, and therefore you wouldn't have to worry about me being MIA on the job~

Well, as I said before. I'd really like to continue helping out on BMR. I honestly love the place and meant what I said previously about wanting to see this place grow even more. Yes, I want what's best for this place. And I'd honestly like a shot at being more than just a mod though. I'd like to become admin if such a thing is possible. I do think I'd do a good job of it as I personally think I've done rather well as a mod up until this point (since being placed in the position). Since becoming a mod I know I've grown as a person and have learned some things about myself. Things that have made me a better person as well as leader. So, I think that I'm very capable of stepping it up another notch for admin and would love the chance to be able to do so. Thanks.

I'm pretty wary of all these people being like "i would like to be a mod...though I haven't really been active." Does it only mean you'll be active when you have a position of power? That doesn't sound like a good reason to mark you for a mod position.

And I have to admit, I don't believe that WhiteTiger would be a good moderator. Or Kikora for that matter. Nihil and Misan I believe would handle the situation well, and with the way Novi handles things in the Introduction thread with DA, that she could be a good balance between them along with someone else.

I know you said, Vek, that this isn't a popularity contest but if none of us have even the slightest handle on the people willing to become potential mods, then how would you? I'm just wondering. I understand you have a criteria they need to fit but sometimes their activities on the site itself shows *sometimes* how they might react to something that has much more weight.

It seems to be a lot of faith to put into people who aren't very active on the site or haven't been on here very long either.

I don't know if I'd have the ability to sink so much time into being a moderator, possibly of just a few forums; but that'd be it.

Back
Top Bottom