Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Laird of the Land (buttefly0408/kolath)

"Where are you taking us?" she asked, not taking his hand, but moving to her own mount never the less. She took a moment to notice that her saddlebag was still there and she wondered if the two daggers that she had put into them were still there are not. Doubtful. She didn't care as long as they had left her mothers items untouched. "And what of the people in the keep and the village? What are you going to do with them?"

He smiled as she so clearly ignored him to make it clear that she didn’t want his help. He stepped over close to her. “You two are being taken to my castle back in my home lands. As for the people of the castle, they will be treated well as long as they work. They will be given the help they need to get through the winter and the seed they need to plant in the summer. They will pay a tax for working my land but from what I can see of the town and land around the castle. It will be much less harsh then your father’s.” he smiled softly before touching her saddle bags. “I hope those daggers weren’t heirlooms because we can’t let you keep them, but the rest you are welcome too and anything else you can think of from your home will be sent.” He motioned to her saddle. “Time is drawing close my lady.”

She glared at him a little, wondering how he knew she thought of the items in her saddlebags. She thought she had made no indication that she even looked to them let alone worried over them. She could not admit about her father's harsh hand over this land, but she turned to him still and rose her chin a little to try and show she was unafraid of him, "Are we to be ransomed back to our kin?" she asked.

He shrugged a little at the question looking back into her proud eyes and not being able to stop from smiling. She had a fire in her that he liked probably came from her hair color. “That depends on how things go from here on. But until the decision is made you and your brother will be my honored guests, you will be well treated as long as you behave and don’t try to hurt anyone.”

The look in her eyes was a bit skeptical, so she had to ask of him, "On your honor... Laird...?" she trailed off a bit. He had never properly introduced himself for her though she knew who he was, but her stubbon pride would not let his name pass her lips until he gave it to her himself. While she waited for his reply, she moved to place her one foot in a stur-up, intending to mount on her own.

He smirked slightly before taking her hand that she would grab the saddle horn with and pulling her close forcing her to stop her climb into the saddle before kissing her hand lightly. “You can call me Kael, lady Blair.” He gently slipped his large hands around her thin waist looking down into her deep eyes, their bodies close against each other. Before he lifted her up and lightly placed her in the saddle their bodies rubbing against each other heatedly as he did so.

She should have pushed him away when he made such bold moves against her as to kiss her hand hand hold her close. The way she spoke his name and hers... like he was purring the words from his lips. It left her a little stunned for the moment until she found herself up upon her horse and him below, smiling up at her. Her lips did not smile back, but held a displeased little pout before she turned her face away and swung her leg over the saddle to ride astride.

The way she rode made all the guards as well as Kael look on for a moment Kael with a slight smirk. He shook his head slowly before turning around and heading to the front of the column. He slapped Malise’s leg to get his attention looking up at his cousin. “Keep them secure till I come home. I don’t want them running away.” He stepped back as Malise nodded before the column headed out off to the north back toward Kael’s home castle.

Malise was still mad at Kael but nodded, "They don't get away. I'll make sure of it." Oh and he would. He already thought on the ways to keep them nice and secure. His anger at Kael for this being passed over for his brother was going to have to be taken out one someone and he figured he knew who it would be too.

As they rode off, Blair glanced over her shoulder to watch the only home she had know her whole life fade off into the distance. It wasn't that sad to see it go though their were things she would miss. The people that made it a home or her. She hoped they were already. Not being taken back to the keep prevented her from knowing how they had fared. She wished she knew but it was to late now. She looked on ahead to see what fate held in store for her and her brother. She hoped it would be kind for once in her life.

They rode for hours finally stopping off at a flat high hill for lunch. The guards and Malise set about making lunch for themselves not even thinking of the prisoners. They started to eat no one even offering to take food or water to them.

Finally Angus had enough of it and grabbing a wine skin, a water skin some cheese, bread, and some of the cooked meat from the fire he walked over to the two. He smiled and sat down across from them setting the food down and then pulling his dirk and starting divide the food after placing the water and wine skins close enough for them to grab. “Hello, I’m called Angus, Angus MacKay.” He said as he cut up the meat, clearly waiting for a response.

The pair had been well in sight so they could not run, thought they did talk over it a few times. The smell of the food did carry and since that had skipped over the food earlier, they were hungry now that it was not offer to them. Blair had a sinking feeling that they were not going to be treated as well as Kael had told her they would...

As the big man drew closer, Flynn pushed himself a little in front of his sister as it to defend her. This big man though could easily overpower poor Flynn if he wanted to. The pair looked at the food placed before them and could honestly not deny it this time. They moved to take what was offered, though still keeping a distance from the large man. It was Blair that spoke to him first, "Won't you get in trouble for feeding the prisoners without orders?"

Angus looked over his shoulder at the group of guards and Malise before looking to one side and then the other. “You are asking me that? Me? Angus MacKay? Angus MacKay takes no orders from anyone!” he turned his head to one side his nose up in the air and chest puffed out proudly. Looking honestly a little stupid holding a dirk cutting up food.

He laughed letting the pose drop, “Nah really I’m here of my own free will and only obey those that I choose too. Kael has done enough to earn my respect and so I listen to him. Malise…” he looked over his shoulder again and shook his head, “Not so much.”

Something about this man put Blair at ease and she relaxed a bit more. Then she glanced in the man he called Malise's direction, "If he is not that respected then why does your leader put him in charge now? Why is not a man like you the one leading us back to his keep?" Malise's eyes caught hers a moment and that same chill had her looking away.

It was Flynn however that spoke up first, "I don't like the way he looks at you...."

Angus smirked and shook his head slowly. “Smart lad you are.” He finished dividing up the food letting them take as the wished. “Kael doesn’t like the way he looks at both of you so he sent me along. If it comes down to it I can stop him from doing anything that will reflect badly on Kael.” He smiled and ate some of the food having brought enough for all three of them. “I can’t be put in charge because I’m not a Sutherland, and the only other choice was Allister, but he has been put in charge of your father’s old lands.”

She nibbled at her food and had to ask, "Is this Allister like Malise or more like you?" There was a bit of worry in her tone clearly directed towards the well being of the people they had left behind them. "And if you are not of the Sutherland, why fight among them?" Blair was trying to get as much info out of him without seeming like it. They were going to need to know as much about those that held them as they could.

Angus saw what she was doing but was more than willing to tell her what she wanted to know. He smiled and leaned back a little on his hand shrugging. “Well it is hard to compare a man with another man. But I would say he is more like me.” He smirked and looked at her winking at them both. “Though there is no replacement for Angus MacKay.” He continued to laugh softly though out her question about his fighting with them. “Well the MacKay clan and the Sutherland clan are at peace right now since a Sutherland and Mackay just married. So we fight with each other and again, Kael has won my respect.”

Hearing it come from him made her feel a little bit better, though she was still a little worried. Especially when she saw Malise heading for them. She moved back a little bit again, clutching Flynn's hand. "Mount back up. We ride on. Now." He gave her another look, this time looking her up and down as if evaluating her goods. She rose quickly then and retreated to her horse once more, trying to stay from his sight. Flynn helped her to mount up and soon they were on their way again.

Angus glared at Malise before sighing and standing up holding his hand out to her and Flynn to help them up. His arms were thick and strong and his chest broad and mop of unruly red hair brushing the back of his neck gave him something of a brutish appearance though any of his friends would tell you not to believe it. Angus MacKay was a huge teddy bear unless you crossed him in battle or hurt one of his friends. He helped them both mount before mounting up beside them and the column set off again at a hard pace continuing till the moon was high in the night and the horses had to stop for the night or drop from exhaustion.

As they came to a stop, she felt just as weary from the day as everyone else in the group. As they all came to a stop in a wooded area, Blair helped herself down from off her own horse and then went to Flynn who did the same. Looking around for the man that had been kind to them, she spotted him, "Come on... I think we'd be safest with him..." she whispered to her brother as they pair started to walk towards Angus.

Angus walked over toward them and sighed holding up some roped and motioning to a nearby tree. “Malise insisted and based on Kael’s orders it is a proper action.” He sighed and walked over to the tree. “I don’t think it’s needed but in this case I can’t stop him. I will make it as comfortable as I can I promise.” He didn’t really offer them a choice tying their hands behind their backs in a position that could be maintained all night without cramping and then tied them to the tree. They would be comfortable enough for the night having enough room to lay down or lean against the tree as they liked.

The next day was more hard riding the hills growing steeper. They finally came to the castle, standing high on a cliff face only one direction accessible giving the castle a highly defensible position. It was well built and the town and fields around it seemed well tended and prosperous. As they rode through the town market up to the gate the sounds of a happy thriving community greeted them from all sides. The castle proper was no different with the sounds of the guard drilling and tradesmen working their trade in the various outbuildings.

Blair saw the castle rise in the distance and groaned a bit. It was a downright fortress. Even if they attempted escape, there would be little place for them to go. There was really only one way to get away from the place and even then you have to cross a long expanse of land before reaching the cover of the woods. The only other way was down the step cliff like hills and that would likely leave to dead and not in a very quick or easy way.

As they rode through the village beyond the castle walls, Blair could not help but notice how prosperous they all seemed to be. The merchant's stands were full, every face was smiling bright. There didn't seem to be an upset person in the lot of them. It brought a twinge of jealousy within her. This was what she always pictured her own home could be like, but her father and brother could never see the vision of what could be like she did.

The gates for the keep were opened and more of the Sutherland men came forward to help the returning band with their horses. More then a few of them noted two things. The absence of their laird and the presence of the pretty girl. Flynn was not as noticeable as his stunning sister as she dismounted from her horse and sought her brother. Looking around the place, the keep was impressive to say the least and there were just as many smiling faces inside the keep's walls as there had been outside in the village.

Malise nodded to Nolan Sutherland as he came out to see the returning group. They stepped off to one side shaking hands and deep in discussion for a long moment. Nolan had been left in charge while Kael. Allister, and Malise were all away. He was of the Sutherland line but not as high in the line of birthright as Kael and the others. Malise was informing him of the change in leadership which Nolan excepted without question.

Malise stepped up to the top of the stairs leading into the keep. “Friends, I bring good news, our Laird Kael has been victorious and has expanded the lands of the Sutherlands!” There was a hearty cheer that went up from all that were there. Malise let the cheer die before continuing, “As there was much to do in his new lands Kael sent me back to keep watch over his lands and to return with the captured Laird and his sister.” At that Flynn and Blair were pushed forward to the steps and up them slightly for all to see. Another cheer from the men and Malise dismissed the group turning to Nolan. “Throw them in the dungeon.” His voice sneered in contempt for them.
“What!?” The voice was that of Angus which till now had said nothing. “Malise, Kael wouldn’t….” Angus wasn’t able to finish his statement.

Malise turned slamming his fist into Angus’s face knocking him down the short flight of stairs and into the mud. Before Angus could move to raise Malise stood over him sword resting on his neck. “Learn your place now MacKay, Kael might put up with your mouth but I won’t open it again to question my orders and you will be joining them.”

Angus’s eyes burned with anger before looking down into the mud knowing that it was the safest thing to do at this point.

Malise turned back to the door seeing Flynn and Blair still there, “I said take them to the dungeon!” His yelled orders were quickly followed.

The exchanged between Angus and Malise left the Sutherland's around them a bit hesitant for they did know the difference between their true laird and his cousin Malise. Hearing what Angus had to say, they all had to agree with this was not the kind of thing that Kael would do with prisoners unless they were true threats to him. These were a lad and a lassie. But in Kael's absence, the next in line was the power in the keep. So Malise's word was law. Reluctance pushed aside, they grasped the pair and started to taking them away.

Flynn didn't seem to be fighting, but Blair had received from Kael before they had left and she fought, yelling in Malise's direction, "You Laird told me we would be guest in his house! Treated well! Not locked up in some dungeon! You go against your Laird Kael's word by doing this!"

He looked after her as she yelled at him. “He gave his word, not mine.” He grabbed her chin as she was pulled passed him. “Don’t make me teach you your place too lass, you won’t like what happens if I do.” He slapped her hard across the face before nodding the man on with her to the dungeon.

She and her brother were drug down into the dark dungeon and left there chained to the wall with the arms loose. They were fed but little more than bread and water just enough to keep them alive. They were left in those conditions with no one being able to see them except the man that brought them their food.

Blair replayed the words that the Laird Kael had given to her that day almost a week before, and she could never quite recall if he had given her his promise. Perhaps then this had been the plan for them all along. It fit more to what their father had told them would become of them. Blair felt foolish for letting herself believe Kael when he told them they would be like guests and that no harm would could to her. He had let his word become nothing. Flynn hand across the cell from her so at least they had the ability to speak with one another. It was the only thing that kept her sane. She tried to keep his spirits high, or at least tried to. The fact that their chains preventing them from fully crossing the room to even touch the other was a little disheartening. How long she wondered before the Laird Kael would return? And why did she hold onto hope it would be soon. There was no guarantee that his return would see them freed from this prison. Only his return would tell.

Back
Top Bottom