Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Hell's Hope (Writer & Freeko)

ItsTheWriter

Planetoid
Based off of Illydria, Planet of Dead Angels

"Curiosity kills. Power corrupts. Peace illudes the reality that the world does not care about who you are. The world doesn't owe you anything. One day, it'll take away everything."
- Brunswick, the Hero of the East.

The world laid in chaos. Those who were once considered heroes are now outlaws by the new government in charge. The Demon Lord's Generals have full control over their own dominions, forcing upon rules that reversed the order from which Albion was founded on. There was no peace. There was no hope. The only choice for many was to capitulate to their desires. To fall prey to their dark intentions was the only way one could survive and thrive in these lands. The world had no need for heroes, nor did it want any. This was a corrupted place. This was the new Underworld.

"Please! Let go of me!" Shrieks echoed through the darkened streets. The capital of Albion was now a decrepit hovel. Criminals, rapists, and beasts roamed the streets looking for those weaker than them to prey upon. Gangs have taken control of sections of the city, hoarding resources and warring against one another. Families were split amongst each other, finding some relief through the murder and cannibalism of the dead. The drugs kept much of the populace in a state of Euphoria, giving them the belief that the world is still the once peaceful nation that it once was. No more was it the nation of peace and prosperity. It's technologies now diluted in purpose, once being used for peace now to be used against the people who made them. This was everyday life.

A few corrupt guards were pushing and pulling at a small girl in a cloak. "Oh? It's your fault for being an alone girl. There's a tax to cross these streets." A tongue broke free from his mouth, watering his lips in a perverted fashion. His company began to run their hands over the girl's body as she shook in fear. On the guard's belts were standard issue stun batons, each capable of paralyzing those not strong enough to resist. "Come on girl, we promise not to hurt you if you shed a little clothing. Besides, there's no one around anyways." They laughed, pulling her deep into a dark alleyway as she struggled. With her staff now in the hands of one of them, she was defenseless.

Lumi, the Goddess of Light and Purity still had a small hold in Albion. As did the rest of the Deities, Vox, Noux, Fate, Cyrene, Aqua, and Yin. For those old enough to remember the times before the underworld invasion, these names meant something. Now, they are little more than a haven for hunted down criminals. For whatever reason, this new regime that has oppressed most of the populace, has constantly struggled against those who have a strong tie to Lumi. It was a minimal minority of the population of the lands that were unaffected, and it was their goal to try as best they could to stem the flow of these poisons throughout society. For now, these decadent and corrupt rulers seemed to be almost uninterested by small pockets of resistance as the masses themselves would quickly drown out those who would attempt to mount an opposition.

Honoria, most commonly referred to Nora, was one of the few remaining members of the temple of Lumi. Most simply ignored this small group as they were healers for the most part and it was clear that for every two people that were healed by the temple, five more would be overcome by the poisons that were distributed so freely. Nora was simply heading from the temple, completing service and trying to avoid the major areas so as to minimize her risk of being.. accosted. The simple truth however, was that if you did not go looking for trouble then it would most certainly go looking for you. Most of the population would wear cloaks, so it was difficult to see who was who. Though Nora heard a very distinct scream that had gained her attention. Following the commotion, Nora would find a fairly common sight. Two "guards" if they could even be called that as it was common knowledge that they were corrupt and only cared about themselves.

The situation was one that Nora could not ignore. Lumi would never allow something like this if she had any manner of sway, and Nora felt that she needed to try to win the small battles if she could. Standing at the end of the alleyway, Nora had a trick up her sleeve as she would try to use her sacred energy to try to take one of these vigilantes out. Nora would only need a few seconds, but this could almost feel like a few minutes had passed for the woman in distress, to cast her spell. Nora would create holy energy that would drop down upon one of these vigilantes. If there was any luck, the oppressed woman could regain her staff and defend herself enough for Nora to close in and hopefully finish what she was about to start. One thing most people knew, was that they should not mess with her since she had a reputation and it was very rare for anyone to challenge it.

With a brandished, glowing knife, one of the corrupt guards cut up her clothing, exposing the soft flesh held within. Their eyes widened, like hyenas to a corpse. "Oh, would you look at that. Its one of the Lumi bitches." The guard grabbed at her necklace, one with the holy symbol adorned upon it, and ripped it off. These small little accessories did little to ward against corrupted people, only preventing the girl from being corrupted herself. Now with it gone, the darkness began to overtake her. The dark plume took its hold of the small girl, forcing her to drop to her knees. "M-more... Please." The guards forced her down, bending her over the pavement below her. With another quick swipe, they cut at her robes dropping them on the dirtied floor, finally freeing her from the covers of her silken sheets.

She was drenched. The need that controlled her mind brought her to a shameless state. This was the state that befell many women that lacked a form of resistance against the evil fog. "I can't help it. I need it now...." Succumbing to her fate, she spread herself before them, awaiting them to unleash their deepest darkest desires upon her. Within moments, these hungering predators took off their armor to take advantage of their now willing victim. Just within moments, she was now a part of the darkness. The necklace now laid on the sullied floor, blanketed by echoes of her lust filled moans. The grunts from the men made them sound not of humans but of monsters straight out the pit of hell. Their moans were like howls, their drive like beasts. They may have been once proud men of Albion who kept the peace, but now were turned into the monsters they once fought against.

The scene unfolded before Nora. One that was far too frequent for most to fight against. There was a choice that could be made here. A choice of placing herself at risk for the now defiled priestess of Lumi or a choice of letting her fall towards what Fate declared for her. The darkened skies only grew darker as night approached. Books of the times before the pockets of resistance fell have spoken about the darkness. Those who were caught outside at night usually disappeared as day broke, only to be seen again as a soldier of the corruption. Only to be a puppet that was controlled by the Demon Lord.

Lumi's eyes gazed below, eying the corrupted region where she was requested. A ray of holy light penetrated through the darkened clouds, illuminating the thug on whom the spell was cast. Darkness didn't dare step into this domain of light. For those truly vile who were caught within the beam, there was only one answer. Death. The thug yelped a shriveled curse at the goddess above, turning into ashes from the light shone from above. Only the armor being left on the remains of his ashes.

"What the fuck!" The last thug was taken aback from the sight of his companion being cleansed. "This bitch isn't worth dying for." Within moments, the corrupted guard ran off, his pants still loose around his waist. The priestess was caught within the light, being purified through the spell. The hold of corruption wasn't deep enough to degrade her soul. Her spirit was saved in the nick of time although her body suffered a permanent price. Tears dropped from her face, crying at the encounter with the beast of a man. "Forgive me Goddess. Forgive me of my sins." She crawled over to her staff laying on the floor beside her, clutching to it and bringing it close to her heart. The necklace was ruined. So was her pure virgin body. Although Lumi was a peaceful goddess, she wasn't one to take non-virgins as priestesses.

Further away, a few travelers were passing by. A few eyes hovered over the incident between the two girls and two thugs. "Hey, would you look at that?" Another responded. "What is it?" The traveler aimed towards the scene with his rifle, placing the crosshairs over the relic on the ground. "Looks like Lumi's servants were having a bit of a struggle." The leader grabbed his rifle and turned it away. "Its best not to get involved with them. They bring trouble with their lot." The rifleman nodded, going back to guarding the quiet caravan. Even nearby their own temple, the followers of this pure goddess were looked down upon by many. The sins of their pasts making them believe that they were far from redemption.

Last edited:
Nora would look around after her display. Taking inventory of the situation, Nora had thwarted the attempted rape. However she was unable to save her former fellow priestess. The display that Nora felt was neccessary to stop these rapists had caused one to be obliterated. Nora would allow the other guard to leave as it was not her way to kill a defenseless opponent. Perhaps she may regret the decision over time, but her concern was focused toward the other woman now. The temple was, at least for the time being, still inhabited by a good number of people so Nora was not specifically familiar with the other woman that she had just saved from being raped.

Nora would do her best for the next few moments to attempt consoling the other woman, as her life was now changed irrevocably. After hearing what the other woman had said, it was strangely inappropriate to ask if she was alright. Instead, Nora would ask if she was at least able to stand up as they needed to get out of there. Nora having made a bit of a scene with a potentially excessive show of force to fend off these rapists posed as the city guards. If they could just pick up the pieces, in more ways than one, Nora would try to get them both to a safer place. The temple itself was an option as was either this woman's home or Nora's for that matter.

If Nora ever had the time, she would at least try to reassemble the necklace that was destroyed for the woman. Nora had started to realize that allowing the status quo to continue would not be in her best interests. Tomorrow, Nora thought, would be the start of her attempt to try to directly fight back against this corruption. Having seen yet another priestess fall to this blight had flipped a switch inside of her.

From the looks of the necklace, it seemed far too intricate to repair by hand. It needed either the hands of a specialized woodworker or special tools to fix the necklace to its once majestic state. Until then, it seemed to lack the resisting strength it once had against the environment. Although some of Lumi's shine seemed to emanate from the girl, it wasn't going to last forever. The darkness crowded the edges of the light, eager to take control of the frail priest. The priest girl clung to her hero, scared of others who dared roam near. She wasn't strong from the looks of things, nor did she seem dextrous as her movements were rather shaky. From the look of her staff, she seemed capable of casting spells.

She looked down and blushed, noticing her body still nude from the previous encounter with the thugs. "E-Excuse me!" Her hands reached towards the floor, clinging onto her robes and staff. Her face was red, her cheeks were puffy. Her hair was loose, and her robes were torn. Although happy at her rescue, she didn't take her eyes off of the ripped necklace. "I'm fine. I'm just..." The priest paused. "I'm... I'm not okay. I'm sorry." She broke into tears, crying into Nora's armor out loud. It was enough to echo through the empty streets of the Albion capital. With the sudden burst of light breaking into the city, however, few corrupted dare got close to the scene. Lumi was a deity that the corrupted saw as death. Just as she brought hope to the weak, she brought fear to those corrupt.

Looking up at her savior, her teary eyes greeted Nora's. "My name's Sheori. Thank you. Paladin." Her voice was quiet, pitched like a child's akin to the look of her body. Since her hood was now lowered, her eyes were now visible. She was an elven mage. Although susceptible to corruption, those of her species can manipulate the forces of magic, effectively giving them the strength that covered where they seemed to lack most. Most elven people dwelled alongside the safety of the trees. Their homeland was far to the east, within the domain of Cyrene, Goddess of the Trees. "I'm a traveler from the East. I heard that there were rumors of a hero that could wipe out the darkness here. Oh! Forgive me. What's your name? I wish to repay you somehow." Her tears dripped onto Nora's armor, a little difficult to control after her last situation. "I don't have much to offer. But I hope you'll be fine with th-..." She looked at her empty back pocket. Someone took away her pouch full of credits.

Nora was compassionate, as she felt any true follower of Lumi should be. What had just happened was not something that she would be able to solve by words alone. Nora instead felt she was best served as being a shoulder, or at least in this case a chest, to cry on. It took Nora a bit of effort to not try and look the stripped woman over, but even her eyes would betray a few glances at the form of the woman who was of Elven descent. "Just.. take your time. Once you are ready, we need to get out of here."

Nora herself had a few options for how she could try to solve the problems that have presented themselves. The first, was this Elven woman had mistaken Nora for a Paladin. As much as she would admire truly being a paladin, Nora was but a cleric in the service of Lumi. "My name is Honoria, but please just call me Nora." Nora would for the time being, omit the detail that she was not in fact a paladin, but instead change the subject to one of the other issues at hand. Reaching out, Nora would ask to examine the necklace Sheori was wearing. "I think we can get this fixed. It should be fairly easy, but the components are half the problem. Finding someone who can mend this is the other issue." Nora had seen for herself a few people casting spells that would expend the magic of small stones that she recalled being referenced to as Lodestones.

The final problem was that Sheori was now without her pouch of credits. It would seem that the second rapist likely made off with it as they escaped. Attempting to track him down right now would have been near impossible as well. "Saving you was reward enough. If you are able to stand, lets get out of here. We can stay the night at my place. It is not anything fancy, but you should be safe there. Tomorrow is a new day, and hopefully we can get that necklace of yours back in one piece." Nora had intended to bring Sheori back to her own house, as the elven woman had little to hold on to and Nora felt that it was her duty to make sure that she could get through the night. Trying as best she could, Nora would attempt to instill some level of faith in the elven woman that she was going to get through this ordeal.

"Thank you. Honoria. For saving me. For this as well." Her tear ducts dried, but her eyes glimmered. The sparkle in her eyes was brought on by the saving from her hero, or maybe it was the aftereffect of her cries. Nevertheless, they were beautiful. The shades of her eyes being a jeweled jaded green. "I am in your debt. Lumi's blessing upon you." Within moments, she laced on the remains of her cloak around her, covering up what she could to avoid the wary eyes of would-be predators. "I'm ready to go. Lead the way." She was still shaken after her encounter. The wounds dealt to her spirit needed time to heal. Still fearful, she stood close to her savior. There wasn't many who were willing to help a traveler in need nowadays without some sort of dirty conviction.

To the north of the residential district were sounds of bustling activity. Even corruption did not stop the flow of goods from one area to another. However, the jewels and foods that once laid in abundance across the stalls were now scarce. Instead, merchants sold drugs that catered to the masses of corrupt customers. Some merchants sold energy weapons, the guards around them eagerly sporting them in the open. Armorer's alike sat in their shops, the forges guzzling out heat onto the streets next to them. Plumes of smoke from the smiths blew up into the sky, leading to a darker cover that blocked sunlight. Cloaks were relatively common here due to the cold weather that plagued the area. Snow was a common sight during the nights. Vents from the heat tubes below the streets only worked during the day leading to relatively cool days and frigid cold nights.

To the south of the residential district were the temple grounds. Two temples stood side by side, fighting for relative dominance over the people that lived nearby. These were the temples of Lumi and Vex. On one end, there was a hospital that gave medical aid to those that asked for it. Few people now travel to it nowadays. The outer walls were now covered in graffiti. Signs of vandalism covered the premises. Whether it was caused by the corrupted or the followers of Vex was hard to decide. Many followers of Lumi became apostates after the alienation from their people. Those who remained were usually devout, talking critically of the nonsense of other gods. It seemed that sanity was a luxury that few had nowadays. On the other end was a gladiatorial arena. Magic wasn't allowed there as those who came in only respected the martial arts. Those who wished to follow fame and fortune could come to these areas. Before the corruption, wooden weapons were used to avoid injury to either. Nowadays, the stakes were far higher. Lives were lost often through usually brutal methods. If the match weren't a fight to the death, it was a fight for pleasure. Two or more combatants would enter the circle. Whoever won got to have their way with the lesser fighter. During these fights, usually, it was hand to hand. Both fights were considered high in demand from the corrupted.

With Sheori starting to get her bearings back, Nora would accept the blessing Sheori had bestowed upon her. With the two women leaving the scene, few seemed to hold any interest that Nora could see. It would be a somewhat slow trek, but Nora had one plan in mind right now. If Nora could get Sheori to come with her, then Nora would be able to watch over her. The plan for the time being was simply to allow Sheori time to recover from this incident that will almost certainly scar her for the remainder of her life. Even the rumors of the Elven magic that Nora heard were not likely to change that now. The concern Nora had, was that Sheori was still vulnerable to the outside influences around them both. The necklaces would protect them through Lumi's blessing, but it did not take much for Nora to be reminded that Sheori's necklace was destroyed.

When they arrived at Nora's home, Sheori would be invited to use anything she so desired as if it were her own. Hopefully something Nora had would be of use to Sheori, be it clothing or a bath to wash away the remnants of Sheori's previous encounter. The risk of any manner of lingering corruption was likely to be minimal at this point, but Nora had to remain vigilant as Albion itself seemed to have an ability to pull people toward the darkness. "Please, make yourself at home here Sheori. I will make some tea, but feel free to do as you like. If you want to use the bath it is over there next to my bedroom. Pick out some clothes that fit you if you would like as well. Let's just get through the night, tonight. Tomorrow we can set about looking into finding a way to get that necklace fixed." Hopefully the tone of Nora's voice would help calm Sheori down and allow her to start to forget what had happened to her.

"This place is quite... Warm. Cozy I might add." She sat on the sofa, looking at the furniture nearby. A little part of her wanted to explore the home of her hero. Her eyes trotted on the photos within their frames just to see a hint of Nora's past. "I would like a cup of tea as well if it's not too much to ask for of course." Sheori paused, picking up a picture frame. "This place must've been nice before. I wish I could've visited before... y'know. Before the darkness conquered it." Her voice quieted down. The lower half of her body still ached from the ravenous thrusts. Those thugs must have been sexually deprived, or drugged to thrust that hard into her. She whimpered, before grabbing her staff and readying a healing spell. "Under the eyes of Cyrene, oh lady of the trees. Please give me your blessing."

Irradiating from the staff was a calming green light. The staff looked like it was a branch made from one of the great trees in the East. Where the trees held magical power that lacked understanding from scientists. "This may help with the pain, although. It doesn't take back what happened." She looked distressed, tearing up once more as she looked at the small statue of Lumi standing nearby. "I'm sorry. I fell to corruption so quick!" She bowed before the statue, parts of her body still exposed from the ripped fabric. "Please forgive me! I beg of you. Please, let me be your priest." It was clear where her priorities fell. However, an elven priest of Lumi was unheard of. Especially one that was still a follower of the Lady of the Forest. Sheori looked up at Nora, her eyes now red from the constant strain. "I'm sorry that you had to see me in such a state. I'm just... Having a hard time. Forgive me of my rudeness. I'll clean up. I'll, just take a bath first." She turned towards where Nora pointed out was the bathroom. "I really hope Lumi forgives me of the damage done to the necklace."

Nora had a simple, but moderately sized place. Accepting the compliment, Nora would express her thanks as she moved over toward the kitchen to prepare a pot of tea for the both of them. Nora would make sure to have enough for both since she did not normally have many guests over. Not even fellow followers of Lumi would come by very often. Though soon, Nora would find herself turning around and looking on in awe as Sheori had cast a spell. It would seem that she was potentially a product of two separate worlds. Sheori wanted to be part of the temple to Lumi that she may have forsaken her past to do so? Nora would want to ask about this at some point, but this was certainly not the time for her to do so.

Nora saw the devotion that Sheori had, and knew that the only thing to do was help Sheori see this through. Potentially at her own risk no less, Nora would make it her mission to do everything she could to try to make things right for Sheori. As Nora would turn back to hear the water heating up, she would realize that Sheori's resolve had not been broken. Unfortunately for Sheori her necklace was broken which would make things slightly complicated for the two of them. Would Lumi accept Sheori as she was? Would the temple accept her now that she was.. 'unclean' as some would refer to those who have fallen to the corruption. Nora really wanted to take some time to meditate about this, but Sheori was her top priority. It was imperative to Nora that Sheori find her way through this ordeal, and Nora would take the burden upon her own shoulders if she had to.

Thinking little of Sheori heading to the bathroom, Nora would reassure the elven woman that she could treat this place as if it were her own. "If you would like me to accompany you, just let me know. I can only imagine what you are going through so I would not pretend to try to understand it. When you are ready, there should be some tea out here waiting for you." Nora would change her tone trying to crack a bit of a joke in the process to try and get Sheori to relax even if it were only a moment. "Though if you take too long in there, I can't guarantee there will be anything left."

"I promise I won't take too long. It would sadden me to not get a taste of your tea after all." She set foot into the bathroom, closing the door behind her. An elven girl who was rather open in comparison to her xenophobic counterparts was a rather unusual sight. Usually, her own species was against the idea of working with other races, especially those of other religions. Rather than extending a polite greeting, they were more keen on exchanging arrow and sword. However, there was word from time to time of their tribes bringing in outsiders who have done something rather extraordinary to be a part of their people, The sounds of splashing reverberated through the small house, giving the implication that she was finally cleaning herself.

The dusk turned to night as the sounds of steam disappeared from the outside. It was replaced by the sounds of rather heavy footsteps. Altercators, robots that are relics of the golden ages within Albion walked the streets during this darkened hour. Even those corrupt haven't lost their fear when it came to these mechanical beasts. Iron guards that stood at around seven feet tall patrolled the alleys, aiming to establish order during this time as people filed away in their small homes. Their footsteps were large and heavy, loud enough to rattle those unfortunate enough to sleep nearby a street. These titans were slow, but they were far from peaceful. As the corruption took over, these robots aimed at all who even had a hint of corruption in them, sometimes attacking those who were deemed innocent in the eyes of others. Few were nimble enough to escape from direct combat. Many fell to their harpoon, their corpses being pulled back towards the launchers. The other arm held a blazing pitchfork at the ready, should anyone survive the shot from the harpoon.

About a half hour passed before she was done. Now clean and covered in towels, she walked into the room following the scent of tea. "Smells wonderful. Mind if I take a t-" The rumbling shook her, bringing her to the floor with a thud. The towel dropped from her body, exposing her rather petite but attractive look. It was clear why the thugs seemed to have such a need to ravage, especially after peeking at what she looked like underneath the cloak. The elf's were a slightly shorter but beautiful species from the eyes of many of the other races. "W-what was that?" She shook as she sat back up, looking at the doorway. It was one of the robots, although they seemed rather aggressive. It was as if they found their target nearby Nora's dwelling.

Nora would start to prepare for nighttime as what little light was left had been extinguished by the oncoming darkness. Nora was all but accustomed to the Altercators, a robotic remnant of what Albion was before the fall. They seemed only to activate during the night time, which was a shame as they would be all the more effective Nora posited if they were able to function during the day. Though knowing how brutal they are in how they hunt their targets, it might have been for the better this day as there was no way at all that Sheori would have survived an encounter with one of these monstrosities. Nora would make sure that the door was locked while she then moved to light a few candles.

As Nora moved to shut the shades on her windows, she caught a glimpse of the Altercator in action. It was a brutal reminder of what should be happening to those that were corrupted by the sickness that has all but enveloped the city of Albion. With the Altercator dealing a decisive blow, Nora's house started to tremble a bit. Nora had forgotten about Sheori for a few moments, but was reminded she was there as she let out a yelp. Nora would turn to see Sheori sprawled out and naked. The towel that she was wearing had fallen beside her. Nora would take a few moments to enjoy the view before moving to help Sheori back to her feet. Once Sheori was upright again, Nora would reach back down to the ground. This time reaching for the towel and offering it back to Sheori.

"Well, I could tell you what that was, but I do not think you really want to know right now. Please, just sit. I'll pour another cup of tea for myself but first let me pour one for you. Then we can get you dressed and call it a night." Nora halfway hoped that it was something of an elvish custom that they slept without clothing on. At least for the time being, Nora had things planned out. Hopefully Nora's necklace would be enough to keep the darkness at bay that may still at this very moment been creeping its way back into Sheori. "One lump, or two?" Nora would posit toward Sheori as she offered a small cube of sugar to go into the tea. Nora herself would take one lump as she already finished her first cup while Sheori was showering. Tomorrow was going to be an interesting day for them, to say the least. It was wise of Nora not to think too far ahead as they still needed to make it through the night.

"Yeah, I'd believe it be best to avoid giving me nightmares." Sheori gulped, gripping the cushions of the couch nearby her to regain her footing. These guards were heavy, each step feeling like a thunderous earthquake. Brutal with efficiency, the Altercator began to move on not too long after their purging of the unfortunate evil. As the sounds of metal stomping on the ground began to diminish, she regained her composure, reaching for the towel bashfully. "None, please. I prefer the natural taste of the tea." Her polite smile returned to her face, although the look of her shaky legs spoke otherwise about her current emotions. There were so many new sights and sounds in the city, many that she hasn't seen in her years of living far eastward.

One cup after another, she exchanged pleasantries, spending time in the silence peacefully. It was as if for this moment and this moment alone, the dangers of the outside had ceased to exist. The small elf didn't fair long once the darkness arrived. Her eyes drifted, her body yearning for rest. If there was any time for her to find the sleep she needed, it would be now. "Excuse me Nora. I'm feeling quite tired now. Thank you for the tea. Now if I could excuse myself." Within a couple minutes, she was curled up on the couch. Right above her was the small statue of Lumi. The light irradiating from a candle warded back the darkness. Maybe Lumi's eyes were still upon her, even after the trial she faced. The darkness obeyed Lumi's command for now, giving the small elf space to rest. It would only be a question of how long it took before she became corrupted again. Even during the day, the corruption of Albion swallowed people into's its depths.

Her clothes laid strewn in the bathroom, her cloak now in rags due to the encounter with the thug. She needed something to cover her up if she dared walked in front of many of Albion's residents. On Nora's couch, she removed the towel laying upon the fabric nude. It was a common tradition of the elves to sleep naked. That tradition seemed to disappear once the threats of corruption changed the world. For her, it seemed either a little too trusting, or maybe oblivious to rest in front of a mere stranger. However, there aren't many heroes left who would save someone in need. At least, not many heroes who would do it for free. The soft light bathed the girl in a small purifying blanket. Her skin glowed in contact with Lumi's lukewarm flames.

Nora would simply nod her head as Sheori had asked not to have any sugar added into her tea. Simply dropping the cube back into the small cup meant to hold them as part of the tea set. It was very rare for Nora to be able to use the whole set anymore, and this elven woman was the first visitor that she has had that she could remember ever since the corruption had taken hold of Albion. It was almost turning into a study of sorts for Nora as so far today almost nothing has been anything close to a regular day. As this moment of peace and serenity would come to a close, Sheori would simply ask to sleep on the couch. Nora had no reason to deny the request of the elven woman, as she would soon notice exactly why Sheori picked this spot. She was directly underneath the statuette of Lumi.

Before retiring to her bedroom, Nora would say one last thing. Mostly to take in the elven woman's form one last time. "If you feel alone, you can always join me in my bedroom. My bed is open to you." It was likely an empty line for now, as Sheori had not made a random choice to where she would be sleeping tonight. Though there was one thing Nora needed to do before she would retire herself. Aside from the cloak she had hung up as she arrived in her house, Nora was still fully dressed. The armor she would wear to and from her house and the temple was on full display and that may well have been why Sheori had mistaken her for a Paladin. Nora was not as comfortable with her nude form as Sheori was, though Nora herself would strip down to only having a pair of panties on.

Now it was time for her bedtime prayer. Nora would include Sheori into her prayer as she knelt down bracing her body along the side of the bed she was about to sleep in. "Dear Lumi, I feel you have given me a great gift today and I can only hope that your light still shines upon her. May we both be blessed by the light for the coming day ahead. Your noble follower, Honoria. Amen." Slipping under the covers of her bed, Nora would not fully be able to clear her mind. She murdered someone in cold blood today, and she did it in Lumi's name. The idea that the man deserved what was coming to him was not far from the truth. Nora would look for guidance on this subject when she had the chance tomorrow. For now, Nora wanted to try to get a good night's sleep as there was no telling how difficult it would be for Nora and Sheori to fix the necklace that was broken just a few hours ago. Maybe they could just get a new one at the temple, but Nora knew that would be at best a long shot.

The night was quiet, a result of either fear or respect for the territory of the Altercators. Those unfortunate enough to be caught in the dark would face either the corruption or the wrath of these metallic warriors. Few dared to fight against them. Maybe those corrupted figured it wasn't worth the trouble. Either way, their help gave Albion just a few moments of peace before the day arrived once more. Cool air drifted through the streets, covering the roads and roofs with snow. It was only then in the morning that this pure white rug disappeared, being replaced with the sounds and heat from the steam vents underneath the city. Under Lumi's grace and the power of Fate did the sun come back up to the sky again. The green tinted sun due to the gas clouds that hung overhead greeted those who woke up. It was finally morning.

The short elf awoke from her slumber as the steam vents shouted. The city was awake once more. Its denizens rudely woken by its rather loud screams. Many were used to the sounds, still able to sleep through it. However, for the sensitive ears of an elf from foreign lands, it was ear piercing. She grabbed a nearby pillow and covered her head, trying to endure the vicious sounds until they faded. There was so much for her to learn and experience. So much to get used to in this city. "My wasn't that a loud alarm. What was it?" She peeked outside the curtains, taking a peek outside. The glass was hot as one of the openings for the steam vents was located right outside her doorstep. "Ouch!" She bounced back onto the floor. Her hands were red from the sudden embrace of heat. She was curious, but cautious, closing the curtains and waiting for her hero to awaken. The green glow from her staff relieved her hands from the pain, calming her once more. "I should get ready." Nearby, she grabbed whatever garbs weren't ruined by the thugs. Just a short cloth dress was all she had left. Her cloak was ruined, ripped to a point where it exposed most of her body. It was useless. "I wonder if they're selling something nice in the market?"

A short grasp at her rear pocket made her fall back to reality. She had nothing left other than the clothes on her back and the staff at her hand. Her only ward against the evil was destroyed, all her traveling money was gone. "Oh..." She sat down, falling back against the cushions of the couch. "I remember." For a short period, she lost herself. Her mind flashing memories of the day before. She prostrated herself before the statuette, praying before the Goddess in front of her.

"Lumi guide my steps. Protect me from those that wish to do evil. Lead me to save my family from the corruption, to purify all darkness. Light my way and hold me, so that I may be a vessel of hope. Please give me the strength to do what cannot be done, to save who cannot be saved, to live in the way where I can perform your miracles. Provide me with your light. Amen."

Nora was not immediately thankful that the Altercators were activated at night. Though maybe they could have spared Sheori? Nora was thankful that she had found Sheori first, as Nora would start to awaken with the sounds of the steam vents. The sounds have a rhythm to them, almost like a beating heart as it thumps repeatedly. Nora would find herself about to get out of bed when she heard Sheori yelp out in pain. With the sound, Nora assumed the worst and would turn the corner from her bed into the main living area with her mace in hand ready to deal with whatever happened to be threatening her. Turning the corner, it would seem that Sheori had just scalded her hand. With the steam vents so close by, Nora would usually allow some time to pass before venturing outside.

Instead, Nora would place her mace up against the wall near to the doorway into the main room. First things first, Nora would tend to Sheori even as she were. Naked aside from the panties she had worn to bed the night before. Sheori hopefully would feel more comfortable this way. Nora would keep some level of protection from her womanhood being completely exposed, but aside from that she was not entirely worried about showing herself off. After inspecting Sheori, Nora would head back to the kitchen area, this time not only to make tea but a small breakfast as well. It would be unwise to venture out on what was likely to be a very busy day on an empty stomach. By the time Nora would get everything ready, she could hear Sheori offering a prayer to Lumi. This would catch Nora off guard a little as she was unprepared to join Sheori in the prayer. This was something that Nora would typically do when she finished preparing her food or when she entered the temple to perform her duties.

While Nora was continuing with her food preparation, she would offer Sheori anything she needed while they were still here inside of her home. The clothing might not fit the greatest, but it would be a definitive upgrade over the torn and mostly destroyed garment she was found wearing yesterday. "Please, help yourself to any clothing you would like in my dresser or closet. I should have some food ready in a few minutes, I think we should think a little about how we want to approach today." Nora would hesitate a little as she did not want to be insensitive about what she said next. "How do you feel?" Nora would settle on as she wanted to make sure that Sheori was ok for the time being. Once they had some food and a little time to think things through, Nora figured this day should hopefully be in her favor. With any amount of Lumi's blessing, it might just be in Sheori's favor as well.

" Thank you. Nora, for everything. I'm feeling a little better." Her mind was focused on the scalding of her hand rather than the encounter from last night. "Oh. I don't need to wear much. Thank you for the kind offer." A small innocence grew off of her. Maybe it was sheer ignorance or maybe there was still a place unaltered by the corruption somewhere. Either way, her innocence was something that could be treasured, or manipulated, depending on who she's around. It seemed as if she were hiding her true emotions behind the bloomy facade. She greeted Nora with a warm, kind smile. One that a close friend would give to another just as a gesture of good faith. "Maybe we can try looking around the marketplace for something to help. There should be something or someone around here that could fix the necklace. At least, I hope there is."

Sheori stood nearby the door, wary of the now heated entrance. The doorknob was made of bronze, one that worried her quite a bit. Her ears were still drooped after such an occasion. "When do these... Um... What does your kind call it? Lee vurs? (Levers) When do they cool?" She pointed at the doorknob giving off a glowing radiance, a signal that it was still too hot to touch. The steam vents poured out dangerously hot fumes during the mornings. Although they helped keep the city warm for a few hours, it made mornings blisteringly hot. Walking in the streets during this hour is akin to walking through a sauna. Cloaks made by the tailors in this city helped keep in heat during the night time, as well as flow air through during the mornings. Avoiding another embarrassing and painful lesson, she waited for Nora to open the door. In her eyes, Nora understood Albion city life far more than Sheori could ever fathom.

"This place is really strange you know? You have large walls around your city. I wonder why?" She seemed rather curious about the new environment around her. "The trees here aren't happy. There's no sun coming through here. Back home, the trees rose over the clouds. The sun was beautiful. Why do people like it here? I hear this place is very beautiful from books of old. A river of pure, glimmering water that ran through the city. The castle that could be seen from worlds away. Welcoming people. The only safe place from corruption. What happened here? Did the books lie?" A hint of worry broke through her voice. This seemed to be the place where dreams come through in the books she read. Now, it seemed to be closer to a den of nightmares. A beast that swallowed its inhabitants whole.

Nora would not have a problem with Sheori wearing very little when they were inside her home. Nora herself was roaming about in little more than panties herself for the time being as she was preparing food for the both of them. However, Nora would insist that if they were to leave the house that Sheori wear a bit more. Nora herself would temp fate from time to time with the skirts she would wear barely covering her lower half, but the cloaks would generally cover the whole of most inhabitants bodies as they went about their business in Albion. "When we go outside, I think you will find the weather to be less agreeable than you do while in here. The steam vents do a fantastic job of keeping us warm, but they do little to help us outside." Nora would attempt a slightly different tact to convince Sheori that she needed to wear more clothing than outright saying she would almost certainly be the target of some debauchery again.

After Nora would set her tea set down on the table, she would rush over to Sheori. Nora had completely overlooked the concept that Sheori would not know something that Nora had taken for granted over time. "I am so sorry, I just took it for granted since it has been so long. When the steam vents activate it does make that whole wall something of a heat barrier. Just come over here, and we can treat your hand. Then, we can treat your stomach as well since I have mostly finished making breakfast. It is not much compared to what you might find at an Inn." Nora would state trying to show a level of humility toward Sheori. "Once we are done eating, we can get ready to go out to the Marketplace. I hope we do find some way to fix that necklace for you."

Nora would darken a bit as Sheori mentioned the times before Albion fell to the darkness. Nora herself did not know entirely how it happened. Just that it did happen. Almost overnight a demonic presence was introduced into Albion that started eating away at the city. Nora would try to stay strong as she felt her resolve was being tested in a way by what Sheori was saying. "No. The books did not lie. They just unfortunately tell half a story. What I think happened was the researchers had attempted to harness a new energy source. This corrupted energy is what you see flowing through the heart of Albion now. I would do almost anything to reverse the damage that has been done, but every time I act it feels like the corruption spreads ten times as fast." Nora would make it clear that she was opposed to this corruption that was festering inside the town. Though Nora also accepted it as her fate. She would attempt to fight this corruption as best she could. Perhaps with Sheori by her side it could strengthen Nora, but at the same time it could be a strand of corruption already starting to slither around Nora waiting to corrupt her as well.

"I guess I understand. I wouldn't wish to hold you back if I grew sick." Sheori nodded her head, taking in the idea that she wouldn't be able to help much if she was cold. She walked over to Nora's cloaks, picking one up and covering herself with it. The cloak was a little oversized for the tiny elf. It seemed more like a long dress to her than a cloak. "I believe that this should be fine." Sheori took in the smell of the cloak. It was the same one that Nora wore the other night. "It has your scent on it." She readied her staff, using a minor healing spell to heal the burn. It didn't take long before her hand reached its natural color. "I should be fine. Thank you for the offer Nora. I do feel as though I am overdoing my visit." Her stomach growled, exhibiting her emptiness to Nora. "I would like to eat anything. I hope I'm not asking for too much at this rate. Once we finish breakfast, I'm ready to head out with you!"

She took a seat on the table with Nora, filling a cup with some of her tea. Her eyes looked up as Nora's features seemed to gray at the talk of Albion before the corruption. "There are books that speak about ways to truly purify the corruption. Many of them are burned though." She took a sip of her tea. "After they invaded the libraries, they destroyed much of what was known about their weaknesses. My father says that the corruption was birthed from human curiosity. I guess I never knew what it truly meant until now." She finished off her cup before standing up and walking over to Nora. Her arms wrapped around Nora's head, bringing her close to her chest. "With Lumi, all things are possible. Please don't give up." She lifted her chin, bringing Nora's gaze to her own eyes. "And if Lumi permits us both being together. I'll follow you until we get your home clean of corruption again. I want to see what the books meant when they said this place was beautiful."

A young optimism grew in the elf girl. She seemed motivated to give back to Nora after all the things that Nora did for her without cost. "I hope that this is Lumi's intention. It feels too much like Fate has brought us together through a want to bring peace back to Albion." She paused, before lowering her ears. "I don't believe I told you why I came here." She paused. "I came here searching for my mother. You see, my father was an elf but my mother was a human. She was a priest of Lumi who gave me books about Albion, her home. Once the corruption spread and threatened Albion, she told us that she had to protect her home. My father wanted to go, but the trees needed protection from the corruption as well. That twas the last I ever heard of her, and I've been searching for her ever since. I thought that Lumi was calling me to go by her side, to find my mother and purify her. I just wish I could find her again." She gripped her staff. On the staff was a name etched into it. Alona. "this staff was my mothers. She was also an acolyte of both goddesses. She said that people don't look kindly at mother Cyrenne, and so I got her staff."

Nora and Sheori seemed to be engaging in a bit of a bonding moment while taking in breakfast. Sheori was providing some insight as to how she had made her way out toward Albion. Though it seemed that the place she called home was starting to become victim to the corruption that plagued Albion. It was as if a sickness were spreading about, and Sheori seemed to want to put the blame on the curiosity of 'man'. Nora hesitated a bit, but creating any manner of conflict might cause a divide between then and Nora simply chose to let that comment slide. Sheori seemed to be versed in the healing arts as Nora would notice her casting a spell to heal her previously scalded hand. With the corruption within Albion, Nora had focused perhaps a little too much of her time into learning how to fight back against the corruption. Even if it was just a small victory that was claimed the night prior, Nora would hope that eventually there would come a tipping point where the corruption would start to wane.

Sheori seemed to be the one offering encouragement to Nora now that they had the night to rest and reflect upon what had happened. "You are no bother at all, if anything I would say that you are a blessing from Lumi. Now I think I have found my focus, that 'thing' that drives me if you can comprehend what I mean. It is unfortunate that this knowledge is likely lost." Nora would speculate that this might well not have been the first time that the corruption was unleashed. "With only us, I think it would be a folly to try to take this corruption head on. We would only get swept under as if we were consumed by a giant tidal wave. First, I think we should try to get this necklace back in working order. Perhaps we might find some insight on your mother in the process." Nora would soon find the reason as to why Sheori was so attached to the staff she carried. It looked like a name of some kind and Sheori herself would confirm that this staff had once belonged to her mother.

"Maybe it would be too much to ask, but if we could try to rally others around us.." Nora would drop off somewhat as she started to think ahead before completing the thought that she was trying to express. Perhaps the next move after getting the necklace restored was to focus on one of a few objectives. First, there was Sheori's mother. Second, Nora herself did not know how to purify anyone that was corrupted. This would be particularly important as if someone close to her were to fall to the corruption, Nora would be powerless to stop it at present. Third, it might make sense to gain the favor of the other gods. Similarly to how Sheori's mother was a follower of both Lumi and Cyrene. If Nora could get followers of other gods and goddesses to work together, there might just be a way to begin fighting back the corruption in a meaningful manner for the entire town of Albion.

With their time together at the kitchen table about to come to a close, Nora and Sheori would both recognize that the steam vents had stopped. It would only be a short amount of time now before they would be able to go outside. Nora cleaning up after them at the table would ask Sheori if she would not mind finishing the cleanup while Nora herself got dressed to head outside. "It should be just a few minutes now. When that handle you touched turns back to its normally darker color, it will be safe to touch again. Then we can head out to the market place to see what we can find there." Nora would wrap a small pouch that had some coin inside of it and put it into one of the small compartments of her belt. That way if they came across something that they could afford to buy, Nora would hopefully be able to handle it.

"That's not a bad idea Nora. Surely there must be others who wish to see the darkness end." Sheori's ears perked up. "There must be others like us who want to see what this place was like before the corruption took its hold. Maybe mother is around here somewhere, still doing her best to fight the corruption as well. She was really strong according to my father." The glow that irradiated from the doorknob began to dim. The heat surrounding the handle loosened in its grasp. "I believe that this is Lumi's sign saying that its time to head out." With a few excited steps, she opened the door for Nora. "My father always said that the morning always befriends those who take their first opportunity. We should go while the sun is still rising. Maybe there are sales in the market!" The effects of the corruption that controlled Albion still didn't seem clear for the elf. Nor did the discrimination against those who are serving Lumi by the people as well. "Hopefully the other religions begin to work with each other. I read of wars between them. Sometimes, I feel like they won't come together even with the threat of corruption in front of them."

The streets were warm and clear of the snow that covered it during the night. Those who were still under the influence but not quite fully corrupted lived their days as usual, moving through the crowded streets. Around this time, many of the corrupted people and creatures slept inside the darkness of one place or another. Hence, the safest time to travel would be under the light of the morning sun. Merchants and traders still made a living during these troubled times. Though unlike before the Great Collapse, they refused to help those who needed it. The world took two steps back, becoming a dog eat dog world. Those who were the weakest were crushed underneath the feet of those climbing up to escape the grip of corruption. Others who chose to embrace it received strength beyond their own understanding at the cost of their humanity and moral conscience. One thing was known for certain, those who followed Lumi were not able to hide it from the rest. They stood out among the common people and were the target of hate and discrimination. It was as if the trait of goodness was akin to being criminal during the times before.

In front of them was a corpse from an altercator the night before. His guts seemed to be spilled outside, blackened due to the heat from the vents overcooking the corpse. It was just a thug, but the savagery and brutal efficiency from an altercator was one to take note of. The look on his face spoke fear into those who took their time to look. Bodies like this were rather common in the slums of Albion. To a foreigner however, this was a scene from a horror flick. There seemed to be marks of the harpoon spear being shot through his chest, leaving scratches on the wall behind him. Sheori turned away from the sight, her mouth holding in the dinner from the night before. Seeing a corpse so close was new to her. As well as seeing others walking right over the body with no care. "What caused this?" She looked at Nora. "Why is everyone not caring?" She seemed shocked. "Is this from the shaking last night Honoria? Is this.. Normal?"

Further north were the bustling sounds of the marketplace. The stalls were starting to open around this time for those who woke early due to the steam vents. Although not all were open yet, the farmers seemed willing to sell their wares. On the stalls were tainted fruits and vegetables. They were darker in color compared to their counterparts and contained corruption within them. Although it had no effect to those who were corrupted, to those who weren't, it was a one way trip to having your mind tainted without the help of a priest of Lumi. In another road filled with stalls were goods of the magical variety. Albion sported several apprentice mages selling their wares to both travelers and residents alike as well as their services. Nearby was a tavern full of mercenaries. Traders and travelers who were planning on heading through a dangerous road required protection. Wherever there was a demand for man power, these mercenaries were the ones to call. A statue of the Goddess Aqua stood in the town center. From her hands came a spout of pure water to those who wanted to drink. Even after the corruption took over, this statue remained clean. Behind her was the river that once ran pure. Now corrupted, only black water ran through the river's veins.

Back
Top Bottom