Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Empire - City of Lost Cause (Black_Out and meomeo)

Living directly above a pizza parlor in a tight little studio apartment had it's up and downs. There was the constant smell of fresh, warm, and wonderful pizza that permeated up into his apartment when the shop below was open. Some people might think of it as heaven to have a slice of pepperoni almost literally at their fingertips whenever they desired. And Andrew did for awhile. He never really ever thought he would get tired of pizza. Didn't think it was humanely possible too. But after a few weeks of living here Andrew started to grow tired of it. Even the subs and home made pasta dishes cooked up below somehow reminded him of pizza.

But he was far to worn out to care tonight. Bacon, mushroom, and onion, that's the pizza the shop had left over sitting warm under the lamps. Apparently a miscommunication over the phone and by the time the mistake was realized it was far to late. Andrew got if for free with the purchase of his forty. Now it sat mostly gone in the greasy depths of the white cardboard box upon a black table set before the sofa. A couple slices remained in the event that Vallie would find herself hungry when she finally awakened.

Basic cable had left him with little choice so Andrew settled on advertisement about thinning hair. But it was just background noise. His thoughts were far to preoccupied with everything that had transpired over the course of just a handful of hours tonight to pay any attention to the testimonials being given by so many men with full sets of lush hair. Instead his hand shifted around the dark brown bottle of 40 ounces of booze that he had settled in his lap as he stared with an inquisitive lofted brow towards the hammer at Vallie's side. A freshly lit cigarette filled the room with its mentholated tobacco aroma as it dangled from his weary lips as he wondered what if anything that hammer was thinking.

It was the damndest thing when he went to pick it up after he had Vallie's passed out body slumped over his shoulder. It simply wouldn't let him. It wasn't easy, but he had always managed to be able to lift it before. Instead it was anchored to the very spot it laid despite his best efforts to pry it up off the ground. That had left disgusting old man Murphy laughing and laughing between taunts. A quick stare of his rising ill-temper at least muted the perverted beggars verbal jabs and snickering. An idea dawned on Andrew down there in the alley and he couldn't get the possible meaning of it out of his mind. He had never really considered Vallie as worthy of that mystical object. Then again he never really had seen it wielded so proficiently by Vallie before to even think much of the hammer itself. Sure, it made her strong and durable, it could hurl bolts of wrathful lightning straight from the heavens, but the blonde haired girl that walked into the academy with it so long ago never really seemed to grasp its potential. It was like she was at odds with the hammer, or maybe the hammer was at odds with her. Either way a divorce was clearly on the horizon. How that had all changed in the course of a single night in Empire. It was a wordless recommittal of their vows to one another when Andrew decided to settle Vallie's limp hand around the shaft of the hammer and used his own hand to curl her fingers around it. It lifted up off the ground like it was made out of cotton instead of unyielding magical metal.

He looked over to where Vallie laid on his if you move it you can have it sofa. It had taken some serious effort by the hero to get rid of the foul flea ridden stench that seemed absorbed into the very core of the sofa's fibers and cushions. But after scrubbing away with buckets of hot soapy water and a vinegar mixture the scent was subdued. Still he kept it's cushions covered with hand me down worn out knit blankets that were far more presentable after a good run through the laundry. A particularly heavy baby blue knit blanket was draped over Vallie's mostly nude body. Though she did have the luxury of being clothed in one of his overly large t-shirts. It fit her almost like a gown.

Most nights that sofa was his bed and it sure showed with how Vallie's bundled up body sunk into the concave impression his mass had molded into the cushions of the sofa. But not tonight. Tonight Andrew claimed one of the few pieces of furniture he had actually purchased. A cool twenty bucks well spent he thought. While not the most comfortable place to sleep for a prolonged time the brown cloth covered lazy-boy had been his throne. From it he was able to observe the vast expanse of his realm.

And what a realm it was.

It was dusty, dingy, dirty, and a few other words that started with the letter d could describe it's dismal state. A few stray cobwebs hung from the plastered ceiling that was decorated with spots of creamy yellow discoloring where a handful of slow leaks eroded their way through the plaster. He had placed the beat down plastic bucket he had used to clean the sofa beneath the worst of the invasions. Then there was his coffee table, which doubled as a dining room table, and tripled as an office desk for the few bits of employment adds he had scavenged up. Two of the legs of the black wooden table were gnawed away at by the teeth of some dog. But despite it's appearance, it was at least level. There was a handful of plastic ashtrays set about the room that he had pilfered from different pubs. Currently he was flicking the ashes of a cigarette into the dull olive green gem of an ashtray he had taken from O'Sheary's while he was waiting for Vallie to show up.

Now he was waiting for her to wake up. Idly staring at the cracked screen of his television set. Another hand me down acquired from the boys in the pizza shop downstairs after it was a casualty of the owners favorite soccer team floundering a lead late in a game against their biggest rivals. By the time Andrews drooping eyes had drifted back to the television monitor the programming had shifted to some exclusive offer to spend a ton of money and put yourself in rehab at some exuberant tropical resort styled setting. Tired eyes fought to stay open as he took one last swig from his big bottle of cheap but refreshingly cold beer and set the mostly empty contents down on the floor beside him. Exhaustion won out soon after and Andrew drifted off to sleep. Andrew dreamt of that resort, but it wasn't exactly the same in the depths of his minds fantasy. It was a vacation away from here, and Vallie was there with him.

Vallie woke up to the sight of a plastered ceiling, peeling paint and yellow-brown water stains.

The blonde rose to her feet and took in her surroundings, and at once memories from the previous night washed over her, making her head spin with embarrassment and just a smidgen of shame. Was that really me? Putting out right out in the open! And we had not bothered to be discreet about it. What if people had seen them? It was slutty, shameful, so not her.

Vallie glanced about the dilapidated apartment. The room is dimly lit by early morning beams coming through half-closed blinds, Andrew snoring steadily on the lazy-boy, a digital clock magnet-ed to the fridge told her it’s 5:48.

Her attention turned to her poor state of hygiene: sticky and grimy from neck to toes; the inside of her mouth resembling an arid desert; her hair an unmade and caked mess; and between her legs a familiar stickiness... coupled with the acute sensation of hollow soreness. Vallie wondered whether her body would ever get used to Andrew’s girth. And yet, despite her apparent lack of sleep and the strenuous evening... Vallie felt surprising spry. She had the feeling she could run five miles right now, if she absolutely had to. Her gaze rest upon the hammer, laying by the foot of the couch.

The shower head, although terribly rusted, managed to do its job: spew welcome icy jets onto her skin. After drying herself with a fraying and dust-covered towel from a bathroom cabinet, she came out of the shower wearing the same oversized t-shirt, and the towel tied around her head like a linen crown.

Andrew still snored.

Now that issue of her personal hygiene had been somewhat taken care of, Vallie’s mind turned to other matters. Like her lack of any money, phone, clothes... possibly a home to go back to. Or how apparently she had not one, but two super villains on her scent. Restlessness and anxiety ate at her. Why, this place desperately needed a clean-up, and what’s better to take her mind off things! Vallie busied herself. Pizza boxes and empty beer cans were crumpled into trash bags, dishes were cleaned, and the disgusting layers of grime wiped off tables and counters. Vallie managed to work up a good sweat, and by the time she was done the room looked far more habitable.

The clock now reads 6:31. Time sure moves slow early in the day! Andrew had slept through her cleaning. From beyond the blinds Vallie heard from early morning commuters, and the onset of traffic.

Vallie still felt restless. There is this bundle of energy, a power generator even, within her. How ‘bout a work out? She ploughed right into a superset of pushups, hip lunges, and bench (read: coffee table) dips. Now that really got her engine running! That was until the morning news came on. Vallie sprang up from her pushup stance and went looking for the remote, finding it between two moldy cushions. Hastily and anxiously, she turned the volume up, keeping an ear out for her own deeds.

The chirping from the television monitor roused the bulky slumbering mass that was Andrew from the depths of his dreams. Worn knuckles rubbed across his bleary eyes before he started to tiredly blink in an effort to work the gunk of sleep out of his eyes. Dry coffee hungry lips smacked a few times over as he looked across his modest little family room towards the sofa where a hunched over Vallie sat, her attentions fixated on the broadcast of the mornings news in Empire City. His gaze followed hers as he focused on the television set and found himself biting back a gulp.

Tragedy at the Empire City Hospital - Action Eight's own Allison Weaver kidnapped by the Vagabond - Hammer Time unable to thwart the villains efforts and now M.I.A after being spotted at O'Sheary's Irish Pub late last night

The marquee scrolled repeatedly across the bottom of the monitor as the morning news anchor, Devon Delaney, worked to recap the story in greater detail with the help of Sandra "Sandy" Bittencourt who was live on the scene in the hospital lobby. The camera panned across the room, revealing the total state of disarray that the prior nights riot had left the lobby in. Slowly it panned back to Sandy as she spoke into her microphone while holding an ice pack on her head.

"That's right Devon, eye witness accounts from our own staff revealed that Hammer Time had stated she needed to use the bathroom and left the room in haste prior to the Vagabond crashing in through the window." Sandy adjusted the thin blue hospital gown that she was wearing as she continued. "Security footage in the hallway, the elevator, and the lobby all seem to confirm that Hammer Time was trying to flee from the hospital when I bumped into her here in the lobby." Sandy took a pause to catch her breath, which left a window open for Devon's dour voice to squeeze in.

"And that's when she accosted you and took you out to meet her friend who assaulted you, correct?" Devon inquired with a loft of his well manicured eyebrow. "Leaving you for dead, only after stripping you." His voice faltered as he played nervously with the knot of his tie. "..and leaving you naked outside of the hospital in the midst of a riot."

Sandy gave a forlorn nod of her head as she touched the icepack to the back of her skull which elicited a wince. "That's right Devon, as for the details, my memory is a bit foggy. The doctors say I have a grade three concussion. And while I should be getting rest I just couldn't sit idly by knowing that Allison is in danger due to this supposed heroine's negligence of duty." Sandy thinned her lips in disgust as a rectangular box in the corner of the monitor recapped gray toned footage of Vallie caught on the security camera's of the hospital as she fled from the room. The panic in Vallie Olsen's eyes were caught particularly well in one shot when she entered the elevator and frantically pressed the button for the lobby. That moment was caught in a freeze frame, zoomed in on, and blown up, letting the entire viewing public get a picture perfect look at Vallie Olsen's face.

"That's just horrible, Sandra. Just horrible" Devon sighed regretfully. "We here at Action Eight News though want to thank you for your bravery and for making yourself available in these trying times."

"Your welcome Devon, I just hope that what little I could offer is in someway helpful towards saving our colleague from the clutches of the Vagabond." Sandra replied before adding. "Sandy Bittencourt reporting live from the Empire City Hospital." Leaving the image to shift back fully towards Devon Delaney as he swiveled in his chair to face the camera.

That frozen black and white shot of Vallie's mug in the elevator appeared to the side of Devon's grim features along with a caption that read Hammer Time, hero or villain? Devon's tone was down right threatening and his demeanor was all business as he addressed the viewing audience. "I'd like to make statement that sums up not only my personal feelings but the feelings of everyone here at Action News Eight." Devon Delaney tapped his index finger on the sleek table before him as he stared daggers towards the camera. "First off, to the villain known as the Vagabond. If your watching I implore you to do the reasonable thing and release Miss Weaver from your clutches."

The camera cut away as Devon turned to face a new lens which made it seem as if he was addressing separate people, which he was. "And as for you, Hammer Time." He paused for dramatic effect. "If you truly are a hero and not some self centered villain which some of your actions have painted to be I simply have this to say to you." Another pause followed as Devon leveled his ultimatum. "I think we all know what a true hero would do in this situation."

"Ahhh, fuck." Andy muttered as he rubbed his big fat hand over his forehead and pushed the leg rest of the lazy boy back down into place. "Did you clean?" He added as he looked around in bewilderment as he rose up out of his throne and headed towards the television, tapping the power button to turn it off in an effort to avoid the obvious topic. "You did, didn't ya?" He worked to avoid eye contact as he headed towards the kitchen. "Coffee on?"

Vallie gaped slack-jawed at the newscast, hot indignation boiling over, engulfing her.

Leaving for dead... negligence of duty... self-centered villain. What?! I did not deserve this! Vallie's mind raced back to yesterday's events. At no point in time, she convinced herself, did she act out of malice. She did her best under a series of very trying circumstances! A charred crocodile-thingy in the alley is proof of that! And of course they conveniently left out the fact that it was my first day on the job! Hell... it's not even my job! Maybe they should clean up their own streets instead of pointing fingers at a tourist - which is what I am!

She gritted her teeth at the blatantly unfair news coverage.

But somewhere at the back of her mind, Vallie saw grains of truth in their words. That attractive reporter did get kidnapped by Vagabond solely due to her. She had consciously made the decision to leave Sandy out cold on the street, completely vulnerable. And then it hit her. Throughout the course of the prior day, Vallie did the best she could... for herself. Every course of action was undertaken either to save her own skin, or keep her identity a secret. The fates of others be damned, swept under the rug and forgotten. Doesn't her gift imply a duty to protect those less fortunate? Those vulnerable women in a city ran by insidious men. It was her duty.

But I am not a hero! They can't expect me to stand toe-to-toe with those wielding real superpowers! Her gaze dropped on her hammer, laying by the couch. She felt a sudden foreboding... as if that piece of alien alloy is passing judgment on her. Vallie clenched her jaw...

It brought her back to her musings during the cleaning chores and workouts. What happens next? Live Wire and Vagabond hot on her scent. Vallie entertained fantasy of skipping town atop Andrew's bike. Starting a new life in a small town the middle of nowhere. Assuming new identities. She even went as far as imagining Andrew with a beard, herself as a brunette (with flattering blonde highlights). But what kind of life would that entail? Won't they have to constantly look over their shoulders? Flinching at every shadow? They would be scurrying around... like cowards.

Vallie came to her feet abruptly. Andrew's call for coffee went ignored. "Listen..." she began with a noticeable edge in her voice, and a matching look of steel in her baby blues, "I've been doing some thinking. We can't go on hiding and running forever. We would be living in fear - all the time. This Live Wire, Vagabond, whoever they send after us. We... I mean I - need to make a stand. I don't want to strong-arm you before your coffee, but it would be nice to have you by my side. I don't know about you, but I felt pretty good after the beat-down we dished out last night. We really kicked some ass!"

A bout of self-consciousness hit Vallie. Like someone else altogether made that speech. One far more assured, confident woman. She suddenly felt rather sheepish, glancing down at the bedraggled top she wore... with nothing else underneath except her boobs stretching out the front.

"Well, first I need a plan. And some new clo..."

She rolled her eyes at the rather daft word she is about to use - she is way past the age of playing dress-up and October isn't on the horizon. But it is what it is.

"A costume... I guess? I'm sick of running around this town in rags."

His broad shouldered back remained turned towards Vallie as he went about the task of preparing some fresh coffee. As the rich dark brew percolated Andrew marveled at how clean his once dingy dusty apartment had become. But things were out of place and Andrew went about putting things back into an order that made sense to him. As he rearranged the meager dishes he possessed within the tiny cabinet he glanced over his shoulder towards Vallie. "Damn, one night in Empire and you sound like your ready to take on the world." He tried to offer a smile as he gathered up a pair of ceramic mugs and headed back over to the coffee that was just finishing up.

As he waited for that last minute or two to pass until the coffee was ready Andrew settled the mugs down on the sparkling counter top and turned to let his firm ass rest against the edge. Sturdy hands that could probably rip the counter right off its foundation spread out to his side and grasped the plastic surface. The grainy stubble that framed his face shifted about as his lips twisted in consideration before turning to a smile. "But your right, we did kick some ass last night." He glanced to the fridge and then back to sofa where Vallie was comfortably settled. "Cream and sugar, or?" He let the unfinished question linger in the air as he opened the fridge and took out a half empty galloon of whole milk.

He spoke up as he poured himself a cup of the rich dark brew and likewise filled a mug to Vallie's specifications. "I know a place where we can find something for you to wear on the cheap. The Salvation Army actually has some great deals. But if you got the cash I know of another place where get yourself a top end outfit." Andrew returned to the sofa and settled the mugs on the now perfectly arranged coffee table before he dropped down with a thud on the far end of the sofa.

Andrew shifted over towards Vallie, bending over and reaching out with his hands to claim her legs and deposit them on his lap. He leaned forward one last time to gather his mug before sinking back into the sofa with a weary sigh. "If you want to do something about this Vagabond, I know where the fucker stays." He took one long swig from his coffee that was followed by a deep breath. "It ain't in a pleasant part of town, to say the least." The burly thick man who could double as a lumber jack any day of the week finished off his coffee within moments and tossed the empty mug to the vacant end of the sofa where it bounced a few times before coming to rest.

Without much hesitation Andrew moved his hands to fall over Vallie's feet. With a tenderness that was impressive given the strength of the man those fingers began to press and softly work over the tender muscles and sinew about the joints of her feet. "But ultimately, your right. We can't keep running and hiding forever." The pleasant massage gently strolled upwards over her ankles and calves.

But with the gravity of what he was considering to say next was debated upon internally Andrew's patient pressing fingers came to a halt along the toned and firm shape of her calf muscles. "But where does it stop if we decide to make a stand?" Fingers began to knead again as he looked to his partner. "Even if we somehow managed to take out Livewire, they'll send someone else."

His hands paused again as he looked with determination towards Vallie. "I say we take on the Garrison Agency itself. Most are ignorant of what's going on. But not Simon. I say we take him down, he's behind all of our troubles."

Back
Top Bottom