Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

In The Shadows

Status
Not open for further replies.
(Well here goes... lets see if this makes it anywhere)

Moonlight barely managed to filter through the thick canopy of the forest, illuminating a dark figure hunched over the corpse of a deer. To the humans the woods were called The Demon's Branches, to the other races there was no name, for naming such a dark place would do it too much credit. The forest was filled with life, and even when predators roamed the night was always the noisiest time in this forbidden place. Myths said something tragic had happened centuries before, and a dark elf had planted a field of trees that flourished on the bloodstained ground, a tribute to his deeds. The magically evil trees then were welcoming homes for the equally sinister creatures of the world. There were squirrels and deer, and fowl, but in each one of them lay a selfish heart bearing malcontent. This was where Branol chose to live his self-exile. A dark being feasting on dark things.

Caoimhe stumbled over a tree root, grumbling to herself. She'd gotten herself lost hours ago, and now she was all turned around. She didn't know which way was which, and was nearly ready to give up hope. "Ugh!" She flopped down on a fallen log, flicking her long, red-ish gold hair out of her eyes. "Damn..."

While Branol continued to feast on the doe, a sudden noise appeared somewhere behind him, close by but not near enough to be in sight in the thick forest. Despite this before the noise had even finished he had completely turned around and crouched on all fours, without a sound thanks to sharpened instinct of having lived his exile in the forest for longer than a year. His eyes scanned the area but his nose picked up the scent first. The smell was so delicious that his body reacted instantly and leaped into branches, stealthily moving from one tree to another towards the aroma. When he was almost to the source of the scent a little clarity of thought bleed through and he realized his prey was human. His immortal and mortal self began to struggle but his pace barely slowed. The smell got stronger and he was upon a clearing where a young girl was now sitting on a log. His hunger was mostly satiated from his recent meal and so it was easier for him to resist than normal, but that didn't stop him from accidentally breaking a branch off of the tree he was in. Cursing inwardly he froze hoping he hadn't drawn the attention of the girl.

Caoimhe started when she heard a stick snap. She'd heard horror stories of these woods when she was a girl, and the fear still stuck with her. Though she was older now and no longer believed in monsters, it was still a frightening prospect to be cornered by a dangerous animal. She gasped quietly, her bright green-grey eyes darting around, trying to find the source. Her long hair had been done up in a braid, but that had been before her tromp through the woods. Now the waved strands dangled in her eyes, obscuring her view and annoying the daylights out of her. She blew another strand out of her eyes, and it immediately fell right back where it was. Her pale flesh was glowing from beneath the dark canopy of trees, accented by the burgandy and black dress she wore. The hem was torn to shreds, ruined from tripping and falling countless times. Mud and debris clung to the fine fabric, and a hole was forming over her skinned and bloodied knee.

Though he had avoided being seen by the girl, she reacted to the sound and started looking for the source of the noise, but realizing he still wasn't being spotted his predator instincts were that this would be an easy feast. His humanity however saw something else, a pale girl with braided hair, much like his first love, who was also his first victim. Slowly his fangs receded, but he was still very cautious; not many things came into this forest that were anything but evil, and this girl was still very much an unknown. Gracefully he leaped from his perch into the edge of the clearing, deliberately landing in a ray of moonlight directly in front of her, so as to startle her as little as possible. He honestly wasn't entirely sure of what he was intending, but this part of the forest was very familiar to him and if forced he could flee or pursue her with ease. "Are you lost, girl?" His tone was intended to be gentle but some roughness overlayed the velvet, having not needed to speak to anyone in the greater part of two years.

Caoimhe flew back in surprise as he landed in the small patch of light. She stumbled backward, trying to regain her feet to run away, but when he spoke she found herself paralyzed in fear. She ducked behind a nearby tree, hoping to at least guard most of her body should he decide to attack. "N-no...I...Yes...What does it matter to you?"

*walks around the dark and erie forest with a frown* God,this forest could use lighting up,and now I am lost becasue my friends thought it would be funny to throw me into a new area we haven't explored. *hears the sound of two people talking,one a gruff male voice and a soft voice which could only be a female's voice for a better look I jump onto a tree branch and make no sound as I land and mask all the signs of my presence except the fainest of hairbeats and watch the two people countiue to talk*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom