Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Dystopian Affairs

XxSpook

Planetoid
Nimue! Are you ready yet? What on earth is taking you so long, child?"
A sigh escaped the young woman's lips as she yanked on her white and red gown. "Just another moment Sister Solra." Today was a day of deep prayer and ritual for the Church of the Sun. On this day each year they send out one of their nuns to a lone standing church that stands just out side the city. It was once a church as well hundreds of years ago. They chose it for the way it has broken down over time. It is positioned perfectly to let the sun in from the crumbled roof- giving them a direct link to their goddess above. The sun warms the earth, helps plants grow, provides nutrients, and is the center of all things. In their eyes anyone who doesn't worship the sun is a fool. She is the reason people are alive at all. Without the sun there would be nothing left.

Nimue yanked a brush through her long red hair a few times, painted a small white circle on her forehead, and rushed out the door. "There you are. Always taking so long to do anything." Huffed the old nun as she grabbed Nimue's arm and pulled her along. "You can let me go sister Solra. I have done this before and know where to go." Her green eyes bore into the side of the old nun's face. She had never been a fan of Solra, and Solra had never been a fan of her. But such was life for them. They were stuck in the same place no matter what. It was that or live on the streets. Solra didn't let go, and instead gripped harder and yanked her along until they were out the front doors and standing at the bottom of the stairs. Nimue snatched her arm away then quickly collected herself and smiled at the many faces of nuns around her. "May the great warmth of the sun guide you as she guides our world." They all said in unison. With a nod Nimue mounted the camel they had prepared for her, and she was off on her short journey. It was a few miles to the edge of the city, then from there the ruined stone structure was about another half mile.

She hurried her way there, taking roads and allies that are not often traveled on. While camels were not super rare, they were still rare enough that the church worried the beast may be stolen. They were worth a fair deal due to the whole creature being useful- all the way down to it's bones. So far so good though. People usually didn't mess with church members, but you could never be too careful.

"I kind of want to run. What do you think Mathar? I don't think I am doing any good for the church, and they have never been a big fan of me... Do you think it would upset the Goddess? ...Then again, it's not like she ever answers me anyway." Nimue said this allowed, though could communicate with Mathar in her head as well. It just wasn't often she was able to speak freely like this, especially to her summon. "Where would you go? It's not like you have much of a choice. I would be more supportive if you had some sort of plan, but as it stands I don't think things would go very well for you. And not all of them hate you. What about little Winnie? She loves you." The voice that replied in her head was strong and deep, but caring in a way. Nimue rolled her eyes at Mathar's response then continued the rest of the way in silence, trying to think up a way she might get out of the church without signing her own death certificate.

Once they arrived at the ancient church she tied the camel outside and entered the great building. Despite being in ruin it as still beautiful and awe inspiring every time she saw it. It took her a few moments before she shook her head and turned her attention to her surroundings in search of any signs that she wasn't alone. With the coast clear as far as she could tell she flicked her wrist and whispered her summon's name. With a gust of wind he materialized into the room, causing a wide smile to spread across her lips. The beast stretched and yawned, displaying his wide teeth filled jaws. He was a sight to behold. "It feels good to be in this physical realm again." he boomed then lay down, his body curling so that Nimue had a place to rest against him. "I have missed this." She sighed happily as she plopped down with her back leaning against his ribs. "Once every few years is not enough." And with that she turned her eyes to the opening in the roof, waiting for the sun to find it's way to it's center.

"We'll be moving into the red zone CX-371a to conduct a raid," The sergeant briefed them as the transport rocked along the uneven road. "We confirmation of gang activity as well as another one of those summoners. That is why we have psiGen Biotics agents present with us today. In the event that a summoner is present, we should attempt to make for a live capture and use necessary force to ensure our objectives. Red team will be in charge of creating a perimeter of the raid zone which I have marked on your displays. Blue team will move within the zone to conduct the said raid."

"Sir. You need to wear the armband before exiting the vehicle." The masked enforcer beside him instructed, indicating he should attach the glowing cobalt armband. He did as was requested in the dim interior of the vehicle as the transport rolled to a halt and the back doors swung outwards, admitting the harsh light into the interior of the vehicle.

"Out!" Someone shouted. Edvar filed out into the sunlight, where he was greeted by the enforcers who were in charge of his safety, all with blue tags.

The wind pulled at his dark hair. He wore an armoured vest as well as a scarf which aided in filtering the sand out of the air. "We will be waiting here in the event there a summoner is present. Until then, you will remain with us."

Around them, the team had already begun setting up the southern part of the perimeter while the remaining blue team assembled into their squads in preparation to storm the designated buildings.

"Mathar, why can't I just come into the spirit world with you? We share parts of the same soul, so I should be able to, right?" Nimue looked up at the beast's face, her eyes hopeful. "I know that would more or less mean I would have to die, but I imagine it's a much better place than here. I need something new and to get away from the church and slums for good. It makes me feel empty inside. More like a machine than a person."
"I've told you before that isn't how this works... Humans don't exist in the plain that I come from. It's a completely different world in every way. Don't you recall the stories I've told you? And even if it was possible, I don't think I could allow you to harm yourself, and I certainly wouldn't be able to do it for you." Mathar sighed and lowered his head to get a better look at her. "Things will change in time. They always do in one way or another. Perhaps there is a land far away from here we could go to. When you return to the church you should look for maps and- " he went silent. His head lifted and he stared with his 5 eyes out the entrance and towards the city.

Nimue immediately turned her attention to the front of the building as well. She couldn't see or hear anything like he could, but she knew something was wrong. Not much time passed before a man came through the doorway. He didn't notice the pair at first as he was looking behind him, mumbling curses at the Majestics that were apparently not too far off. Once his eyes did fall on the two of them though his demeanor changed. His face went pale and his jaw hung open. He began to let out a scream and dropped the small sword he had been holding.

Before the man's lungs could empty Mathar killed him with an enormous breath of fire. What else could he have done? The man had seen them and would have turned them in. The great beast stood and patted out the remnants of the flames with his paw and pushed the chared corpse out of Nimues site.

Nimue was a bit shocked, but not as much as she expected. But then again, this was not yet first time seeing a corpse. "Thank you." She said in a hushed voice, raising to her feet. She wasn't sure what to do now, and had completely forgotten about the ritual.

Back
Top Bottom