Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Two for one idea thread. Neat?

Tired Cat

Harbinger of Desolation
So, I have a pair of ideas, one of which I am really into, and one which simply sounds neat. Let's start with the neat one, and then go to the tasty goodness, mm?

Opt.1;
A thread which takes place in an alt-modern setting, possibly even mirroring Earth, in which there are all manners of strange under-world/super/fantasy races or what not. Magic light, with more a power-system similar to X-men than Dungeons and Dragons, but of course with plenty of wiggle room. Mortals predominating, similar to the Underworld series, but with beasties and the like haunting the night or even in plain sight.

The thread would begin with the opening of a new bar in a mid-sized metropolis, and though quite average for all intensive purposes, it would harbor a number of 'Alternate' folks, be they mutant, monster, or the like. From there it could easily branch to some kind of wider-spanning role play, hopefully with a community which would eventually have a few threads and maybe even some larger plot to unfold?

Opt.2;
This thready would be set in a fantasy world, with magic, monsters, and mayhem abound! Similar in most regards to Dungeons and Dragons 'Faerun' or 'Planescape' setting. It would entail the beginning of an adventuring guild which would likely be named by the first few players to join, and would be a 'Guild-Hall' set thread in which characters would meet and interact between adventures.

This is where things get neat, any one would be given the right to 'post' missions on a board, be they simple or vast. They would assume the roll of GM/DM and take the specified number of adventurers through a story of their own design, with no real limit to allow for plenty of creativity.

So there you have it, a simple run-down to say the least, but I figure I'd at least put something out there to see if anyone would bite. I hope everything is up to code and that, if you're interested, you will not hesitate to announce it!
Also, it is not too much to ask for both.

Mrow.

Additionally, I should note that if there are threads similar to this that exist, and are open, I would be most interested in being directed towards them.

I’d be up for either of your proposed ideas. I love both fantasy and superheroes. Tell me if this gets off the ground.

Not really. I love both to death, I'll admit to having a few more characters for a super/mutant style game than fantasy.
At least without digging.

I have a touch more of a craving for superhero stuff, so there’s my vote (not that I really have one) :)

If we go with that, I play someone who works at the bar, a local, minor heroine recruited by the barks owner to help out, both in the bar and in the hero community. Not sure what powers though, maybe a psionic character, mind reading, TK wielding bartender who keeps overwathc on the bar and helps others find the help they need

Or a ‘Brick’ bouncer - maybe I transform into living metal or marble, super strength, super toughness, ‘life support’ in alternate form.

Love that you've mentioned Psionics. I'll likely end up having a few regulars, and of course the owner. I am probably going to make the owner my old Were-Bear. While a few regulars will be a Psylocke-ish powered Frenchman, and his ex-lover/Bonnie, an Electricity based mutant. The latter two are more along the lines of villains, but they watch their P's and Q's, mostly.

I figure Psionics+bartender=everyone gets the perfect drink, and it’s waiting for them at the bar before they order it. She can sniff out trouble, hopefully before it pops off, and if someone is REALLY insistent on causing trouble, nothing like putting them through a TK “Spin Cycle” for washing aggression (and their lunch) out of themselves.

That makes sense, I've always had trouble with telepathy. So most, if not all of my characters lack it.

Prances.

Will it be DnD to the point of dicerolls? Or will it be just the setting?

I'm OK with either myself, but I feel like the latter would fit better.

So is the former somewhat of a superhero setting or...

I prefer the trust/honor system when it comes to any kind of 'rules' or dice rolls.

It seems Sardonyx and I are leaning towards Super Hero setting, but I would be hardly against getting one of each going? Although I feel it may be better to start with one or the other.
The former would be super, on the scale of X-men? With lots of 'supers', so people can play what they want, when they want, and what not.

I like fluidity, needless to say.

I love the X-Men, so, yay!

It will be an all Original Character setting, no? Or can folks play X-men, or their progeny?

I think it would be cool if some people played canon x-men characters or progeny, that could push some plot. Which is neat.

Villains would likely be welcome as well, so there is a bit of the struggle of mutant vs world, mutant vs mutant, and what not.

Hops into a box.

Thought it prudent to renew the fact that this is of interest to myself, and anyone sharing it should hardly hesitate to announce such.

Knocks over something valuable.
This is why cats need 9 lives.

Your Option 2 is actually kind of brilliant! Creating something of a pool of long term adventurers with the option of jumping into one or more somewhat short term adventures as they come up. It kind of allows people to develop some of their favorites while taking some of the pressure of potential GMs to not have to do some epic thing. Opportunity to interact in the guild hall and build some chemistry before launching out on a quest or two.

(Option 1 might be great as well but I'm not knowledgeable enough of the X-men universe to have much interest in it.)

I would be inclined to participate in some way if there is much interest in it. I've been dabbling in the GM style but more as a narrator and guide using NPCs and such to run through a story. It can be tough to keep together, but this setup allows for some fallout and pickups along the way.

I thought so as well, hopefully it would minimize GM/DM burn-out that way. We'll probably have to give it time to see if more folks would pop in to read and weigh their interest though.

As far as the X-men-esque idea, it's more so to give an idea of the setting. Not necessarily using X-men itself.

Love option one if this is still being up for consideration so would be down to join for that one.

@Tired Cat you may want to consider breaking these out as 2 different interest checks (or focus on one or the other), and put the X-men or D&D theme right in the title. They are both fairly popular genres and I'm surprised aren't getting more attention. It could be that you aren't pulling people in as neither are in the request title. Just a thought to consider.

Back
Top Bottom