Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Is anyone else REALLY tired of being ignored?

A pm to explain even months after is good. I would never ignore this.
But yes, if I do the opener and you disappear, I'm gonna remember it. If you keep posting around just not to me, then definitely you'll be remembered.
If you go "wut u wearin" I'll be wearing a hazmat suit.

Yes, that is frustrating, RedRose. I’ve written a couple openers and then my partner just disappears. It’s frustrating for sure. I suppose the best thing you can do in addition to moving on is practice what you preach. Before I decided to break, I sent out emails to each of my partners explaining my soon to be absence and they all understood. I replied to someone who wanted to RP with me but I was not comfortable with the scenario. It took some explaining on my part, but rather than ignoring them I took the harder role of being professional and politely declining. It’s easier because you don’t have to see these folks in your daily life, so that helps. In essence, I agree it is more professional to decline rather than ignore.

I'm pretty sure everyone ignores others sometimes, so everyone who ignores others earned to be ignored as well. I'm new to this site, but not new to roleplaying, and the mindset of roleplaying with strangers. I am trying my best not to ignore anyone, and if I'm being ignored I know it's for a very good reason: I'm bad at roleplaying, and I really need to get better.

I still think refusal is better than being ignored, but then there are really angry people who will just want to ruin your life cause you refused them, or stalk you(I have a stalker too, from another site, and he registered here just to see my posts and stalk me on here too. It's really creepy, and I know you can see this.)

I'm definitely sad when people ignore me...but I think it's my fault. I'm just not good enough for them. I need to work harder to be more interesting and fun. I don't even bump my request thread, and maybe I will just disappear and become a footnote here, but honestly I don't care....as long as there's just 1 RP partner who finds me fun and has fun RPing with me, I'm the happiest person alive.

I love writing stories, sharing them with others. Even if my stories are cheesy and crap, and really all over the place, if I can just entertain 1 person on this whole big planet, I think I achieved my goal, even if the other 8 billion people on this planet ignore me. I won, because that one person is having fun! I won and you can ignore me all you want, cause I'm happy that I can share my stories with someone.

So just stay positive, keep searching, and even after all the meanies who ignore you, you'll find someone nice to RP with. :)

The hard, cold reality is, we - as roleplayers/ writers - don't owe you anything.
As harsh as it sounds...

We don't owe you a reply.
We don't owe you an explanation.
We don't owe you honesty.

This is the internet, after-all, and RP'ing, for the most part is a hobby; a game.
It's not a contract or an obligation like employment. And to many people, it's not even a social hub.
It's a form of writing used to fulfill a craving, fantasy, and a desire. It's much less personal than a lot of people feel it is or make it out to be.

A lot roleplayers don't come here for genuine friendship. They come here for anonymity and erotic enjoyment.

Expectations are different from person to person, and like many other people have stated on here... Far too many users take poorly to rejection, making it even less desirable to lend someone the 'decency' of a reply. If you are not receiving a reply, it is 9 times out of 10 (made up statistics because I'm classy) because you, somehow, did not meet that individual's criteria. It's nothing personal, it's just (for lack of better terms) business.

The worst part about rejected users is that, rather than letting it go, they instead either become hostile, or WORSE, they try to ask you why and/or try to convince you otherwise, further wasting your time.

I know I sound like an arrogant arse, but- well, that's the way the cookie crumbles. xD

tenor.gif

It’s been awhile since I played last, but I remember being ignored, and it never reslly bothered me, personally.

Yes, that is frustrating, RedRose. I’ve written a couple openers and then my partner just disappears. It’s frustrating for sure. I suppose the best thing you can do in addition to moving on is practice what you preach. Before I decided to break, I sent out emails to each of my partners explaining my soon to be absence and they all understood. I replied to someone who wanted to RP with me but I was not comfortable with the scenario. It took some explaining on my part, but rather than ignoring them I took the harder role of being professional and politely declining. It’s easier because you don’t have to see these folks in your daily life, so that helps. In essence, I agree it is more professional to decline rather than ignore.

Yup.
How hard is it to just send "sorry I can't RP anymore"?
Even weeks later, if it was an emergency...
Now, if the other pesters you, then it's totally ok to ignore.

I don't think you sound arrogant at all. You're talking about prioritizing your comfort and sense of safety in this environment of anonymous strangers. I think everyone deserves to feel safe in whatever way is most comfortable for them. I also think you brought up a good point about the different priorities people have. That some are not here for deep relationships.

Why, thank you!
I appreciate it.

And absolutely. It is safety. I mean, just look at what's currently going on with BMR and harassment. People do get targeted and people do have unfavorable interactions with other users. Negative interactions, sometimes hurtful ones. I totally understand when I get ignored, especially as a male account. I don't take it personally. I just move on to another user or perhaps even, somewhere down the road, another idea.

Additionally, I don't automatically nix a user from my "potential partners" list when I don't get a reply. Because to me, I may not meet their criteria or hold their interest now, but I may qualify at a later date, maybe with a different RP idea and evolved writing. Sometimes people you're messaging change, too. Their writing changes, or their interests change. *shrugs* That's why I never get offended.

xD

For me, it's not a matter of "owing" or "being owed", it's just basic politeness to me to say "Sorry, that's not what I'm looking for." or "I need to take a break."

Then again, I don't have any horror stories about harrassment or stalking, and I can understand those things putting someone on the defensive. I figure all I can do is make it clear in enquiries that if I get turned down, there won't be any drama.

Being ignored is part of life, it's not that big of a deal. On the other hand, being ignored by a person I hold in my heart is something that can make the rest of my day pretty bitter.

So sometimes when I get ghosted I let it go but if it has been a good one I reach out to see if a post was missed. After the second miss I usually move on but sometimes it is worth the check to see if they dropped it on purpose or accidental.

I am 39 and I have been roleplaying online since the advent of the internet. I have been ghosted more times than I can count. You learn over the years not to take it personally. People drop off the internet sometimes without it being their fault. Some people just dont know how to say this isn't working. I sometimes agonize over exactly how to do that. I understand, even though it kind of sucks when people do not let you know. But dont take it personally. Its going to happen kind of like if you are driving and eventually someone does something rude. Life goes on.

I know this isn't exactly what you're talking about, but since it's somewhat relating to the title, I am quite tired being ignored as an employee in the service industry. I just thought if there was a place to complain about it, it's here. Some people don't even give you the decency of looking you in the eyes, let alone say thank you or making small talk. I can't wait to find a better job outside of the service industry.

I think that ignoring someone you have been communicating with is always rude. It may feel like the best thing to do, but essentially it just comes down to bad manners. I try whenever possible to at least say a short reply along the lines of....

Hi there, sorry for not getting back to you. I'm afraid this story is not working for me. I apologise, but i would like to end the game here rather than carry on with something I'm not enjoying. I hope you understand. Thanks for making time to play with me. I do appreciate it.

You could have that saved as a text file an djust cut and paste it in.

What bothers me most is when you send a request to someone who has just bumped their search thread and they never respond. Why bother having a search thread if you're going to ignore every request?

And another thing I really hate is unclear search threads, but that's another topic for discussion.

It means they aren't interested in your response. It's easier to just say nothing than reject someone.

I do know one time I bumped on another site (elliquiy I think) and I got maybe 20 responses in a day, I must admit that was hard to keep up with, but that is a very, very rare occuarnce.

I do know one time I bumped on another site (elliquiy I think) and I got maybe 20 responses in a day, I must admit that was hard to keep up with, but that is a very, very rare occuarnce.

I remember on another site, I got like 20 responses in one day, I don't recall which, but it was very hard to stick to my rule of trying to pm them all back to say Im not interested.

I am, most of my role play partners ghost me, and the worst: They're online and posting. I don't really care about them because I don't know then and I don't want to know them, what really annoys me is that they don't have the damn balls to act like a real adult and tell me: "Hey, I know this may seem disappointing, but I'm no longer interested in this role play, sorry." Is it too much to ask to be honest? I won't get offended for that, but I will indeed get mad if you ignore me instead of telling me the damn truth, I know it may be hard to tell someone you don't want to role play with them, but it's better than just ignore them. I know real life happens and maybe the person is busy, sick, etc, but what about the ones who are online daily and post? And they lie to you telling you that they're busy and that they will message you soon, but they never do, they're not really busy because they post on other threads, they're being rude! That's all. In that case, I message them ans ask them directly if they want to drop the role play, if they say yes, perfect, if they don't answer, perfect too, I drop the role play myself and move on. But seriously people these days have no manners, such a shame.

oh this shit has happened to me with 99.999% of my RP partners and it still pisses me off to no end even after 7 years of it.
I have literally NEVER finished an RP. In over SEVEN years!

edit: now I get there's stalkerish people out there but I really hate that people just go with the assumption that EVERYONE is like that and just treat everyone the same way. I can live with a "I can't anymore" but being ignored is just, infuriating to me.
this is also one reason I do NOT message people for an RP anymore. I hate being ignored and it's a sucky feeling I don't think I deserve.
People say they have anxiety issues with people blowing up on them when they don't want to RP anymore, well it doesn't help my anxiety or maybe moreso my confidence (which i honestly don't even have) when every partner just ghosts on me.
It makes me want to quit RPing when all anyone does is just ghost. I seriously don't know why i even try anymore. Nothing ever goes more than a few months.
I get people don't want to deal with conflict but I think everyone ghosting is doing more harm than good.

I've ghosted a bunch of people. Some here, some elsewhere. I've been ghosted as well (sometimes by the same person multiple times!), but honestly there are so few roleplays that really enthrall me so when it does happen I don't get depressed. I'm too busy ghosting everyone else because of depression anyway, ahah.

Every now and again I'll hit up the ghostee and apologize for the absence. If I liked their style I'll try and RP again, but sometimes I just keep them around as chat buddies.

I mean, i do kind of get it to a point, conflict is somwthing most of us want to avoid.
At this point i just delete PMs and move on after a week.
But what still irks me is i get a lot of people comment in their opening PM, when mind you, they approached me, is that they agree with the ghosting thing and hate it too, and without fail, they too always ghost.
Like they go out of their way to mention they hate when people do it, then do it too.
Doesnt make a damn lick of sense.

Well it's on the upturn for me again, hooray.

I try not to get too annoyed by it, but it's still disheartening when a few people do it in quick succession.

Back
Top Bottom