Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Does anyone here play D&D, watch Critical Role?

gunnygirl

Meteorite
So I started playing D&D back in high school in 1993ish, my sisters and I (4 in total) found D&D advance books at a yard sale and although we only had adventure companions and nothing to go by we did our best. Eventually after a summer of playing twice a week or so we decided to really get into it by inviting a guy from D&D club at school to my house to DM with us. It was a great experience although it took a loong time to convince it wasn't a practical joke for these 4 cheerleaders and theatrical girls who were nerds at heart.

I found forum RP in 2003ish and enjoyed it a lot. I go back to tabletop my original love in 2010 and I now play mostly on Roll20. I discovered last year people playing on twitch or online live and I have fallen in love with watching them. My favorite, of course, is critical role with Mat Mercer and the world he has created 'Tal'dorie'

Seeking out my fellow fans and thinking about making a 'watch along' thread where we can discuss and talk about episodes.

"Is it Thursday yet?"

I play DnD with a group of friends and I watch Critical Role. (Just caught up on Campaign 2.) I adore Mercer and his genius mind, I adore all of the Voice actors and their wonderous characters, I love the stories they spin. I very much try to suggest the show to fans of fantasy and roleplaying when ever I can because it is such a beautiful thing that needs to be seen so I welcome any thread that discusses it more. I like the idea of a weekly watch thread even if it's just us or a couple more discussing in it, i'd be hesitant though regarding spoilers unless it was heavily specified in the title. I'd much prefer trying to convince more users to check it out because it's just so good, but hey if you wanted to PM me to discuss aspects of the show I'd love that, I'm always looking for more people to nerd out over that show with.

WOW! I haven't checked on Geek and Sundry in a long while, mostly because work kind of makes it hard for me to listen or what 3 or 4 hours of video in one sitting, so I kind of naturally drifted to shorter things, also, no one in my group much liked them (Just a few even understand english well enough to anyways), but I do still remain a huge fan of their first campaign

I would love to be part of a group to watch their episodes, I could finally nerd out with other people about them

I haven't heard of Geek and Sundry or Critical Roll, but I do dabble in DnD every now and again. I just haven't found a group that's active enough for my characters to advance in level. :/

Yeah, that's a pretty common problem of online games, they die of quickly, specially the system kind, usually you just got the party together and then someone doesn't post, and things start crawling and well, it goes down

I keep trying to watch the series, but I just can't really seem to get into it. I don't know why, I watch TFS at the table, and i listen to a few different long form podcasts, so I should at least have a passing interest in them, but every time i try to watch it i fall asleep. Maybe I just don't find them all that funny?

As for D&D i have been playing the crud out of 5e, and work at my local game shop.

I keep trying to watch the series, but I just can't really seem to get into it. I don't know why, I watch TFS at the table, and i listen to a few different long form podcasts, so I should at least have a passing interest in them, but every time i try to watch it i fall asleep. Maybe I just don't find them all that funny?

As for D&D i have been playing the crud out of 5e, and work at my local game shop.

Getting into their first campaign is pretty tough, admittedly. They started it live at the request of geek and sundry, had no expectations, quality and format wasn't perfected yet, there was a problem member in the beginning (got kicked out later on in the campaign) and it started a quarter way into a narrative. they were level 8 and had already been playing in that campaign at home for like 2 years. It becomes a really cool story later but even I never really committed myself to watching it, especially the first 20 something episodes which are a slog.

I have no idea where you started, it's possible you tried their newer campaign, but if you haven't I highly recommend it. Starts with a new story, they're level 2 in the first episode (only thing they did off camera was an hour long session 0 where they established the setting and their characters so they could all meet up in groups on screen) the series is 32 episodes long so far and really great.

View: https://youtu.be/byva0hOj8CU?t=16m33s

The timestamp is right when they start playing in the first episode and their characters get introduced. The roleplaying is really on point

I can totally get how some may find it hard to get into though, they're long episodes and sometimes it's tough just to get your bearings, but these people are pretty fantastic and chances are you've seen them or heard them before in a show, videogame, cartoon, etc.

As for home DnD, I've been spending a lot more time with friends lately so we've been playing a lot. My sibling DM's a fantastic 5e campaign for a group of 6 players. I am going to try DMing again soon too and see how that goes.

I love DnD quite a lot.

But I kind of evolved into game systems with less dice-rolling, if you know what I mean?

"Is zone of truth the entire room?"
"Yes"
"I ****** your sister."

Love it. Haven't watched in a while, need to catch up.love the animated openings. Almost wish entire episodes was shot like that.

I've been a part of a few campaigns and I've watched Matthew's campaigns.

Critical Role is amazing! I've been watching it for quite some time, and I love how big they've gotten as a result! I feel like a proud parent watching their success.

Never watched Critical Role, but I do play DnD about three times a week, three different campaigns. I started with 3.5 a few years ago and it's always a craving. One of my campaigns is set in Tal'dorei, though. Knowing nothing about CR doesn't make a difference, thankfully!

DnD specifically, to be honest, I have rarely played. Most of the time I end up in homebrew games. Typically GMed by me.

I'm DMing Pathfinder for several years now (it's basically d&d 3.5) and I'm having a blast. It's a great creative outlet for me, I always enjoyed thinking about worlds, plots, stories and characters. I'm lucky to be able to play with people that already are close friends of mine, and not a totally new group. As things are these days we are littered over the whole country, but with roll20 and a discord call things can get just as immersive as an actual table.

I watched critical role before, but it's hard for me to get into long running things. I hate starting in the middle, and after several ours of the first audio-only episodes (if I remember correctly) I somewhat lost interest.
It's definitely a good show, but it's really catering towards people watching it. Watching tactical turn based combat just isn't fun to watch, even the extremely simplified version 5e uses. From the player perspective on the other hand I'm someone who really enjoys crunching numbers, optimizing my action economy, planning out every single square I move.
But I admit, part of this is the innate dislike us pathfinder people have for 5e, it's definitely an objectively great show and it did wonders for the hobby as a whole.

Touched upon D&D and seen some of Critical Roll. Its staggering length and the time I need to follow it properly leaves me too intimidated to religiously commit to it.

I started watching way far into Campaign 1. Finally caught up like 2 years later. Luckily I've been able to watch Campaign 2 from the beginning and I'm loving it. I actually like the characters better than Vox Machina to be honest. Beau is actually the reason I've decided to go with a monk character in the new campaign me and my friends are starting. And that new into is so amazing. Watching them react to it the first time was awesome. They were all so excited.

I'm late to the party but yes to both! A friend introduced me to both CR and dnd. I got caught up with CR a week before campaign 2 started, and then campaign 2 started on my birthday thanks to the timezone difference so it was perfect haha. It took me a few episodes to get into it because campaign 1 started in the middle of an arc but once I fell in love with them I never looked back. My faves from campaign one are Grog and Scanlan (especially together!) and my campaign 2 faves are Caleb, Molly, and Fjord.

Currently nearing the end of the campaign 1 and been reading through the campaign setting that Mercer put out. I think Vax'ildan is my favorite to watch as his story and Keyleth's story unfold, but Scanlan "The Meatman" Shorthalt is the MVP. So many times he'll just come up with an idea, cast a spell and save the day. He represents the bards well.

Love the world mercer made and been working to making a campaign using the world for 5E D&D. Maybe even RP here with that as the background :unsure:

One thing I am loving about 5th edition D&D is the character flexibility. The campaign I am currently in is a bit of fun role-play with extensive character interaction. So taking the Bard: College of Swords From Xanithar's Guide to Everything, I added a twist to it. The bard got amnesia, and could only remember his last acting job as the hero of a play. Putting on a mask to protect his loved ones (fellow troupe members), he becomes El Guapo! Defender of the innocent and agent of justice.

Never mind that he talks in third person the entire time and goes on rambling speeches about the virtues of being a hero...

Long time critical role fan, met most of them in London last year at the con. And I backed the kickstarter. So stoked!
Play DnD among other systems. My dad's been a Gm for forty years.

I've been watching CR for about a year but don't have much time to watch. I'm 40 episodes into Campaign 1 and loving it. I really want to get into D&D but none of my friends play so I just stick to roleplaying the only way I've ever experienced, which is right here.

I used to play alot in high school but not anymore. I ain't got alot of RL friends. As for the whole DnD podcasting, I haven't really listened to a whole lot (and at this point kinda don't wanna play catch up). Though I do see the appeal in Critical Role what with all of em being professional voice actors.

One DnD (sorta) podcast i've been following is Power Rangers Hyper Force... because i'm a loser nerd who still likes power rangers.

I play DnD regularly, and DM at times, been trying to get into CR although never continued as it's so many episodes! But would be nice to give it the time it deserves!

Back
Top Bottom