Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

..::Fᴇᴀʀ ᴛʜᴇ Wɪʟᴅ::.. [Sᴀʙᴇʀ & Iʀᴏɴɪᴄ]

Ironic

𝐿𝑜𝓈𝓉 𝓌𝒾𝓉𝒽𝒾𝓃 𝓂𝓎 𝑜𝓌𝓃 𝓂𝒾𝓃𝒹
Staff member
Nidalee was only a young girl travelling with her treasure seeking parents when they lost their way through the dense, rainy Kumungu Jungle. The jungle was unforgiving, and she watched her parents suffer their agonizing final days as they fell victim to a mysterious and vicious disease. After their death, Nidalee was left vulnerable to the jungle around her. As improbable as it was for a child to survive in the inhospitable jungle by herself, she did just that. Her youthful innocence and fortunate naivete caused her to appeal to the beasts of the place and she was taken in by a family of cougars and raised as one of their own. She grew and somehow absorbed the raw magic of the dense wilds, evolving beyond both her human physiology and her feline affectation.

c828f61f6c8edc3d7354937e7bc6ec1d-da8w6cj.png

The dark skies were soon flooding with morning dawn, swirls of orange radiating from the rising sun as it bathes its essence against the jungles leaves. Nidalee stirred awake, the light spilling into her cave as she nestled in with her feline pack. Soft murmurs of purrs vibrated against her ear drums, making her groan as she retaliated against consciousness. They were so soft, the purring acting like a lullaby, albeit the grumbling in her stomach caused her to finally lift up from the rocky ground. A long yawn accompanied with tiresome stretches helped her to awaken. The others weren't too keen on following her so she would set foot out into the jungle by herself.

Gripping the base of her weapon of choice, a hand-crafted spear, she would search the terrain for a meal to share. It wouldn't of been a problem searching for food in the real world, Nidalee harvesting the riches her family was searching for in her den. Back home she would've been rich, considered a millionaire, but no one tried to search for her, let alone know where to even look for her. She was 22 now and no other humans had inhibited in these lands besides her.

In the distance stood a wild deer, grazing on the dewy grass as its jaw moved from side-to-side. Her feline instincts kicked in as she crouched down, shoulders elevating to get into a better position to attack when it was time. It pivoted around, its back now facing her. Her heart raced, adrenaline spiking as she heaved upwards. Aiming the tip of her spear towards the neck of the doe she would chuck it fiercely, hitting the target as she hypothesized, her prey falling down to the ground almost silently. She drug her prize back to the cave and showed it off to her feline companions.

The wilds of this land were untamed, and he knew the risk entering them. The tropical and lush forest of Kumungu was virtually uncharted, but rumors of riches were abound about the steamy, tepid jungles. For Gabriel, this was reason enough to turn his exploratory and hunting skills to these near forbidden lands, and to find out the veracity of such claims. It had been a few days since he began to enter the dense jungle, a blade in hand to help cut down the thick forestry and vegetation around him. Last night was the first time he had set up a more entrenched ‘base’, and it was only recently that he had felt that it was safe to begin mapping and charting his exploration.

With the sounds of wildlife all around him, he took pause to take them in for the briefest of moments. New and unusual birds crowing in the treetops, the occasional whooping of some strange animal or primate in the distance – probably nothing of an immediate threat, but the wary explorer kept a safe distance away from those sounds, his blade at the ready for more than just hewing away the vegetation. Every so often, he left a notch on a tree or branch, ensuring that he’d have a good way to return back to his erstwhile home. However, over time he began to take notice of something – footprints. Not an animal or a beast, but of a human’s.

“Hrm?” Kneeling down to examine some of the more fresh footprints, a finger pressing in against the upturned soil. These were.. these were definitely recent, and with a spatter of blood not far from them, it was a curiosity he couldn’t help but indulge in. Were there natives in the woods? Would they be friendly, or would they be a threat he’d have to evade and outmaneuver? Perhaps it was even unwise to head further in without at least brooking peace with them? Following the tracks – and what looked to be something heavy getting dragged, the red haired man began to move a little more freely, his violet eyes keeping an eye on the trail, curious to find the source!

The pack heartily ate the recent kill together, blood coating their maws as their jaws tugged and tore as the still hot flesh. Nidalee was one to eat the meat surrounding the bones, not for going into the abdomen for the... juicy parts. After the meal she would wipe away the blood on her lips with the back of her hand. It was be time to go to the lake soon to wash up and gather a drink of water.

In the corner of her hues, a figure paced across the terrain. It wasn't another feline companion, no, something that stood upright, just like Nidalee. Some of the other cougars near her perked their head up too, wanting to investigate before Nidalee placed out a hand. They looked confused until she murmured a unique noise that they would understand. They sat back down, allowing Nidalee to rise to her feet to stealthy check the beast that prowled these lands.

Her heart raced in a way it never had before... but what for? Was it her gut instinct on what it was that strolled around her lands? She walked closer into the forest, eyes scanning to see where the figure was going, not getting a clear view of it yet.

The fact that there was only one set of footprints didn’t bother him, but the trail of blood and the fact that said footprints were dragging something heavy behind them did make him even more curious. If he had to guess it was a hunt or some sort of prey, though he shuddered to think that the thing being dragged could have been another human. But rather, as the lightly armored redhead continued to make his way through the jungle, he briefly crouched, examining some broken branches and the immediate surroundings. The fact that human footprints were clearly visible in the nearby mud proved that he was tracking someone human.

“Well then..” Trailing off, he had little idea of what to do at first, but as some thoughts began to rush through his head, he began to rise, continuing the path the tracks took. It led him closer to the cave she and her kin called home, but he stayed some distance away once he saw it looming in the distance, and instead thought to leave something behind, a sort of ‘gift’. Reaching into his supply satchel, he pulled out a days worth of rations, mostly the stuff he’d consider ‘good’. Dried peaches, apricots, some beef, and a fresh waterskin. He had more back at his tent, and while it cut his potential expedition for the day down somewhat, the thought of giving a gift and potentially establishing friendly relations off the bat made it more than a worthy trade in his eyes. Leaving it all wrapped in a bundle of cloth, he hoped the gift would be properly received as he rose, briefly scanning the jungle one last time before turning to leave. Just the mere thought that another human lived in this near forbidden jungle made his heart race, and he had no idea that he had been tracked the entire time...

Just then, rising, she could see what it was. Someone just like her, but somehow different? His scent would trail into her nose, sensing testosterone in the air, different than her estrogen one. He was tall, and something about him made her not worry as much, but her alert was still rocket high. Standing taller so she would appear bigger she would hiss in his direction, causing him to perhaps look at where the sound was coming from.

“You there. What brings you here to my lands?” She inquired, eyes narrowing as she scanned his form. Her heart continued to race, unknowing what to do with this man that was also a human.... all of her life she only remembered her human parents but not anyone else. She was young, but the English language still stuck with her. She was the predator in these forests and she would come to not fear those in it. Closing in the space she would approach him, leaving around 5 feet of a distance.

Upon hearing a hiss, he worried for a moment that he had let one of the many predatory beasts of the wilds sneak up on him, and instantly his back was against a tree, blade soon being drawn as he looked around and assumed a defensive posture. But rather than spotting a great cat or a wild animal, he spotted… A woman? It must have been the one he had been tracking, there couldn’t be any other peson around, could there?

Immediately, he began to lower his guard somewhat, more so when she spoke his tongue. “You...” It was a shock, but he knew just because they shared a common language, did not make them friends. “I am here to map and explore these regions. I do not come in hostility or any foul intent. I… Left you a gift.” he spoke, nodding to the package that was on the ground as she approached. “My name is Gabriel, and I am an explorer. Please, I mean no harm.” Slowly, he began to sheathe his blade, looking to her and hoping she’d take the gesture honestly.

Her hues trailed his form, inspecting the man who stood in front of her. It still was strange to see another human after not seeing one for a very long time. She listened while closing the gap between them, sniffing the air as his aroma spread against the breeze, her nostrils engulfing the sent. "I understand, but you do realize this is a home of cougars?" She questioned as her voice grew deeper, almost threatening.

The gift that he had mention made her eyes glance down at it, quick to kneel and scurry through the offering. Fruits that she had not seen in the jungle. Her cougar relatives more than likely couldn't eat this but she could. Not wanting to eat in front of him she would take the basket and hold onto it tightly. "Thank you for your kind offering, but what did you come here for? There was a reason." She wasn't stupid and waited for the truth instead of some sugar coated lies.

“I realize this is a dangerous place for me. I am not afraid to defend myself if need be.” it wasn’t meant to be a threat or anything – but a simple statement. With her deepening voice he remained calm, and he only broke his gaze to her as he gave a smile and noticed she took the basket of fruits and other goods he had left for her. “You are welcome. I will be honest in my presence here, however.” He spoke after a moment. “I’m looking merely to map and explore the area, and to chart the wilds. I am not seeking to let this knowledge be misused or abused. I apologize, I imagine my presence here must be rather worrying, and I understand that you’d probably prefer I wasn’t here. But I am not here to harm you or whoever you are with.” His hands gestured a bit, looking around the woods. “So please, do not mistake my intentions here for something sinister. It’s just curiosity, and I do hope we can at least reach a peaceful accord.”

Nidalee's hues looked at the weapon he wielded, then back to his face, as if telling him he was lying that he wouldn't hurt anyone yet the bladed object would bring said damage. After all, he did need it for defense if another wild creature, that wasn't her pride, would come up to him. Shaking her head, struggling to find a reliable response, she would clear her throat before biting the inside of her cheek thoughtfully. "These terrains are dangerous, and if I will be honest myself I am curious about you and would like to accompany you for a while, just to make sure you're true to your words... And for the simple fact that I haven't met another person such as myself in such a long time..."

“You would like to accompany me?” For a moment, he almost sounded excited by the prospect. Quickly clearing his throat, the red headed man took a moment to calm down and breathe. “Yes, I would like that. I have many questions about the area, and if you have any questions yourself, I am happy to answer them.” Smiling, he took a few steps closer to her, though he kept an amiable distance at the same time. “I appreciate the offer of trust as well. I imagine my presence here must lead to a few problems but I truly mean no harm to you or your people. Ah – may I ask your name though?” He asked after a moment, not sure it it was the right thing to do, but hopeful that he could learn what to call her.

"I have a lot of questions too, but I will ask them once I deem them fitting. Ask away." She responded before her ears quirked upwards to his inquire to her name. "Nidalee. And yours is Gabriel." More so saying that so she could remember his name. "Alright, so where are you headed?" She asked before kneeling down to pick up the basket and draping it over his arms, looking to him. "I know this place well, so if you need any suggestions just ask and I'll help you."

"You know my language. Were you taught it by someone else who's been here before? Or how did you learn it?" Repeating her name in his head, he did so softly, finding himself liking it. "Well, I was going to head a bit further into the jungle, northward today - i've heard tales about a set of ancient ruins in the area and I hope to find them. but beyond that I had no general plan until I found your tracks, or I presume they were yours." he then added, smiling. "Do you live with a tribe of people?"

"My parents, before they passed from a viscous illness in the forest, taught me this language. After they passed they had some books and I would read them. That is how I learned to communicate, though I am sorry if I am a bit rusty." She gave him a slight grin before hearing his next inquire. "I live with a pack of cougars." Nonchalantly she said, unaware this his reaction might not be the best. "There is a beautiful waterfall nearby with clean and fresh water and fruit nearby, I can show you?"

A pack of cougars? The animals accepted her as one of their own? It raised a number of questions to him, but for now rather than ask her incessantly about it, he instead gave a nod. "A waterfall? that would be a great landmark." While part of him admittedly was still a bit worried about her leading him into a trap, he felt that if she truly wished to do such, it would have happened before he even knew it. "Lead the way, Nidalee." he spoke her name, his tone far more amiable and polite as he began to walk alongside her.

Nidalee would nod in his direction before leading the way, making her own small talk. "So, how did you get here? On a boat too or is technology more advance since I left civilization?" She asked, kicking at rocks along the way to their destination. Behind a brush of palm trees there would be the waterfall she proclaimed existed, the crystal-clear waters effortlessly streaming downwards to create a foamy end, the rest of the water clear and smooth, small ripples from the shock of the waterfall.

Laughing softly, he shook his head. "While i'm sure we're a bit more advanced than what you remember, we haven't progressed that far. I traveled here via ship to the coast where there's a village of sorts, and then spent a few days traveling out here. The jungle is seen as a dangerous place and few wish to travel in it due to rumors of man eating monsters and deadly diseases." As they arrived at the waterfall, he gave out a quiet gasp and sought to remember the path to get here. "This is beautiful..." he trailed off, looking at the water as he took a few steps close, small waves lapping against his boots before long. "You must be a very lucky woman to have this sort of beauty to yourself. There's very little back where I came from that compares to something like this."

"I wouldn't say that there are monster's but there are diseases." She explained to him to clear up any stories that have been said about her home island. "I come here to relax, it's peaceful and soothing. Puts me right to sleep." She grinned before sitting on a nearby rock, dangling her feet over it as her toes touched the water. "I wouldn't say I am lucky. I lost a lot... maybe when you go back I could accompany you? I'll miss my cougar family, sure, but they know I am not one of them."

Perhaps it was foolish of him to say she was lucky. "You're right." he spoke after a moment. "I'm sure you've lost much, I do not mean to sound inconsiderate." he spoke as he moved to sit close to her. "Do you swim?" he asked as well, thinking upon her question. "I wouldn't mind you accompanying me at all. A companion on the journey back home would be pleasant!" Slowly kicking his boots off, his now bare feet graced the water as well, the cool liquid feeling immediately refreshing. "Though I do not plan to leave for another month or two, I have hopesto find these ruins and find out what may lie within them as well. Even then, I am sure there would be no issues if you came back with me."

"No offense taken." Nidalee reassured him before giving him an apologetic smile, not meaning to turn the tables to make it a negative conversation. "Of course I know how to swim silly, how would I be able to catch those fish in there if I couldn't?" She laughed it off, nudging him with her elbow coyly. "You really mean it? Are there other people here with you?" She wondered if maybe they had a different motive than he did and hoped he would reassure her that they wouldn't harm her home. "I do not mind waiting that long, not like I haven't been in here for a long time anyways." She joked before standing up on the rock, giving him a look before grinning cheekily. "Okay... one... two... three!"

SPLASH! Jumping into the frigid water she would make a shivering sound. "It's cold but the sun helps keep you warm after a while!"

"There are people in the village, but I am here alone." he then added, feeling it was best to be honest. he knew it was dangerous in the wilds alone but he'd been doing this for most of his adult life, so he felt confident in his own skills. slowly rising to his feet, he didn't like the idea of trudging back to camp in a completely soaked outfit so as he rose his hadns moved for the hem of his shirt, beginning to lift it up and off of him before letting it drop down towards the rock beneath him. Quickly seeking to take off his belt and pants as well, bothw ere soon left to the side as well, leaving him in just a pair of boxers. A toned and athletically built young man, he had a good amount of more subtle musculature to him, with tanned skin and a handful of old scars on his upper right arm and shoulder. Seeming to not mind showing off a bit of skin, he soon jumped in just after she did, feeling the immediate rush of chilly water against his now mostly naked body. Rising back toward the surface, a hand moved through his red hair to swipe it free from his face. 'Ah! It's way colder than I thought it'd be..." he spoke, still mustering a smile as he swam clsoer to her. Already he felt well, less alone out in the wilds, given he was usually a solitary person.

There was something about him taking his clothes off that she didn’t quite understand. It sent a shiver down her spine, one that wasn’t from the cold waters her body was delved into. She mustered a smile, shielding herself as he jumped in and splashed her when he cannonballed in. “How did you get your scars?” Innocently she asked, staring at the randomized shapes and patterns of parched skin.

Swimming a little closer to her, his body shivered for a moment as he felt the cool water against him. “My scars?” he spoke after a moment, swiping some of his dark red locks bangs away from his face. “Well...” As his hand briefly ran against the faded marks against his arm, he smiled. “Not everyone and every animal is as friendly in the wilds as you are. I’ve been in a few fights and while i’ve usually walked away from them the winner, sometimes a beast gets a good bite in, or a strike from my opponent is a near miss instead of a near hit.” He spoke, motioning for her hand. If she gave it to him, his hand held hers for a moment to guide it against some of the indentations from the scars. “I think that one was when a wolf bit into my arm and dragged me to the ground. Not a particularly fond memory.” he spoke, offering a smile. “but I was able to get it off me before it did any real damage.”

"I'm sorry to hear that I brought you some unpleasant memories back into your mind." She would murmur, looking down at her reflection in the water as she felt guilty, but knew he didn't mind. He probably liked talking to someone that wasn't... the same. "Either way, they tell a story of how you won and lived. You're a very strong... what do they call you? Men? Man? Well, you're that." Nidalee grinned before giving him a lighthearted splash, giggling at her deeds. "If you're too cold already we can go, if you want I can let you meet my family. They listen to me so you won't get hurt."

"Some of them are unpleasant, but many of them are part of a happier story so I don't mind." he spoke, smiling a little as he saw her looking down to her reflection. "Don't worry, don't worry." Feeling her splashing him afterwards, he laughed, quickly ducking under the water as he sought to swim around her, only rising up behind her when he felt for sure that he could place a hand against her shoulder and surprise her. "I don't mind being cold just a bit. But when you're ready, We can meet your family." While it was unusual to hear that she considered animals her family, he'd trust her on them being safe for now.

The cougars would be wiser than Nidalee, dictating anything’s personality before try even got to know them. They utilized their stance, how they acted in front of them, and the way they would represent themselves. Would her family approve of this man, a specie they’ve hated? “I’m not going to lie, it may seem scary, but if they don’t like you they will hiss until you leave. They won’t attack unless extremely provoked.” Nodalee grinned once she felt her shoulder be touched by him. “I’m ready, let’s get up and get dry!” Nidalee glasses onto the nearby rock and heaved upwards, her skin slippery and wet from the water.

Back
Top Bottom