Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Glory of the Roman Empire

House Iulia

His wife was late. Had it been any other guest surely they would have been insulted by this lack of tardiness. Drusus had no smiles for his wife, despite her tremendous beauty and attractiveness. Yes, he had forgotten how pretty his young, new wife could be. Too pretty. Too pretty to leave alone for the better part of six years, with gods only know how much scandal might be fluttering beneath the surface of her dutiful demeanor. Drusus did not believe for a second she had been faithful. She was young. She was beautiful. Why would she sit by the loom and wait for her husband when life was so full of possibilities for her? He was at once suspicious and doubtful and knew he would have to put her in line before anything else.

Drusus was tired. He was aching from the long sea voyage to Brundisium on the heel of Italia and then the long march and ride up. His wife Alexandria had a plate of food in her hand and wondered what other luxuries he had missed out on. Did she spend all her time relaxing and indulging while he marched about in parched deserts and rocky mountains? His eyes did not blink once as he watched her and listened to her words of greeting. It sounded like he was at a travel lodge and not really home, offered the bare necessities. He looked at the plate and then back to her. He wasn’t going to have any.

“My men should be found proper lodgings and food.” He instructed first, telling Alexandria to tell one of the household slaves to see to that. Romans and barbarians separate, of course. They would have to turn one of the out-buildings into a barracks for a score of men at least. “I will eat at dinner. For now, a bath and a fresh set of toga and garments laid out for me. You and I shall have a talk. And,” he said, turning to point towards the household shrine tucked into an alcove on the wall, “I want vigils lit for Jupiter and Mars every morning. You will see to it.” He announced flatly to Alexandria. A good Roman family prayed to the gods at the start of every day.

He looked over his wife again. A beautiful woman most definitely, one he had not the time to properly get acquainted with. Or accustomed to. He was not entirely blameless in his own morals. There had been pretty slave girls in the camp and cities of the east. But he was home now and the institution of marriage meant something. He was going to put a stop to his excesses. He judged himself to have the capability to do so. But his wife? Young and foolish, that’s what he thought. He began to walk towards the bathing chamber and it was evident his wife should follow. He dismissed the slaves from that room, leaving only him and his wife. She would serve him well enough. He shed his garments in a messy pile on the floor, where a slave would usually pick them up after, and then strode into the sunken pool, the strong muscles and fiber of his body visible before he sank in.

Gods, it had been years since he had a warm water bath. He could already feel some of the grime and sweat washing off. “You’ve been busy.” He remarked to Alexandria, not having invited her into the pool that could easily hold a dozen or more people. “I hope at least. Tell me wife, how have you been keeping busy all these years? I’ve had few letters and few messages from Rome. The Gods have not favoured me clearly on the coming and going of my family.” He said at first, splashing water over his face.

“Drop whatever it is you have tonight. I want word sent out that there shall be a party in our home. All the leading families of Rome, I want invited. The pontifex maximus, both consuls, the censors, the princeps senatus, the tribunes, all of them. If they come, they come. It will be in their interests to come. I want entertainment for them arranged as well. The good ceramics, good wine, perhaps requisition one of the…guilds,” he meant the brothels, “to loan us some women to serve and impress. Can you remember all of that Alexandria or do you need it written down?” Drusus said to her.

Having been in the process of going over his numbers for the brothel, Lucretius was a bit slow to notice that his niece had entered his office. It also hadn't hurt that she was one of very few who could let herself in without being announced. This was not due to locks so much as fear of retribution. His brother and niece were close enough that such a fear would be laughable, and one of his servants was trusted enough to have such freedom, but all others knew that such an action would not go unpunished.

Once he looked up and saw her, a broad smile instantly appeared on his face and he stood up, quickly side-stepping around the desk so she had a clear path to him, wasting no time in wrapping his arms around her waist. He didn't kiss as eagerly as she did. Unlike her, he lacked youthful abandon when it came to emotions, though he did place a kiss on her cheek as she reached him, and eventually another on the top of her head as he realized she intended to keep kissing him a while. He reluctantly released her as she introduced him to her guard. "Pleased to meet you."

At her question, he began to shake his head at her when he noticed Cadmus laughing, and soon joined in himself. He listened as the man explained himself, smiling thinly at his appeal for forgiveness and responding evenly. "So you have only just met my niece, and already you would mock her questions?" He held on the question a moment before letting his smile grow. "You needn't fear my reaction, though I do not envy you the rest of your assignment."

He accepted the compliment of his brothel with a genuine smile. "Thank you. You campaigned in Egypt?"

House Iulia

Resting against the wall of the sunken pool, strong arms along the edge, Drusus took a moment to take stock of his enigmatic wife. Like well rehearsed actors, the answers were forth coming with the right amount of familial zeal and choice of words. Drusus would consider himself an idiot if he did not recognize the sarcasm lacing every word spoken from those pretty lips of Alexandria. The city of pomp and grandeur had certainly weaned her in the fine language of statesmanship and decorum. She knew exactly what to say, telling him exactly what he wanted to hear. That I’ve been a good little girl and you can’t blame me for anything.

Well, that remained to be seen so far.

“You let me be the judge of what’s worthy of my time and what’s considered busy.” He muttered in a low, growling tone to her. He paused and was taken aback when Alexandra began to speak of a slave woman, with claims she bore his child. He lowered his gaze to seem as if he didn’t care or wasn’t phased, finding the limestone soap to brush across his chest. He knew the slave in particular, a little Celtic piece with Romanized tendencies. “How kind of you. First you claim the slave must be insane to assume the child is mine, yet you go ahead and separate them regardless, as if the child should belong to no one.” Drusus pondered instead, dodging the issue entirely. Again, my property, my word should have been final on this.

She had not written to him. Not pushed for divorce, though that would have been ruinous for both families. She didn’t bring it up until now. If she was so traditional, she would not be so relaxed and calm about it. Drusus wondered at that. Her final usage of sarcasm, on matters that were genuinely serious rather than these simple household judgements, was not appreciated. He dropped his entire gesture of bathing, arms lowered in the water, as he stared right across to her. At least Alexandria scurried off obediently to do as he wanted. Luckily her. Drusus might have had to invoke some Legionary discipline to get her into line. Unlucky for him. He didn’t the opportunity.

An hour later saw him washed of marching grime and the caked dust of a dozen nations. Now he was a simple peace-time Roman, in long tunics of dark blue and brown. Good sandals were strapped around his feet and up his muscular calves, hinted underneath the hem of his garment. Golden vambrances belonging to an ancestor were strapped around his forearms and the family signet ring on his finger, the official stamp of House Iulia. He himself then sat down to issue forth some personal invitations. To the Pontifex Maximus, Septimus Vedius Typhoeus. To the august Censor, Faustus Grattus. To my friend, the esteemed Senator Secundus Petronius Verres. To the honourable Consul, Lucius Aurelius Alba…

Always good to have the richest man in Rome around. But some austere, traditional Romans like the censor or outspoken Senator Paulus Dardanius would be good too right? Perhaps the latter won’t appreciate the entertainment as much however, as Drusus knew it was certain luxuries, spectacles, and display of power and pomp, even depravity, that helped assuage votes and influence nowadays. With such personal invites by his hand written for those distinguished persons, Drusus fetched his cloak and summoned his guard to await him at the doorstep. And to bring the litter about, the best in the villa, which no doubt must have been his wife’s personal transport. Well, what’s her was his wasn’t it? Then he went in search of Alexandria.

“Ready yourself. We are going out.” Drusus said to her when he found her in the house. “I cannot let a lady go and seek out these entertainments without a male chaperone. I know of a guild that will supply us handsomely with what is needed. You and I shall go.” He said to her. “A litter is waiting for us outside. Do not be overlong.” He said to her, turning on his heel and heading off to await her outside.

Cadmus shrugged his shoulders. "I worked in Egypt, I have done a little trading there and have guarded a few caravans or merchants going in and out. Most of my work for Rome was in Anatolia and Asia. You do not strike me as a military man, but perhaps you have traveled a little yourself." He was not sure if the man had. The impression he had gotten of this family was of one whose power was very much fixed in Rome. Apart from a girl with a spark of wonderlust in her heart, and perhaps a bit too much curiosity, he had seen nothing to make him think to the contrary. "If you haven't you might want to travel to Cyprus, the woman there have enough beauty to charm the money out of a miser until he's penniless."

"If you go, you must take me with you uncle." Julia said eagerly, as if she was ready to pack a bag this instant. Of course she was young and impulsive and things just couldn't happen fast enough for her sometimes. "Cadmus can be our guide." She laughed gaily at the thought of the three of them in some far off exotic location. Her mind quickly turned to mischief though as she slyly looked at her new bodyguard. "Is that the kind of woman you like Cadmus?" Turning to her uncle she asked. "Do you have any Cypriots here uncle, I'd love to see one and test this good fellow's claim." She teased, then continued as if she had a better idea. "In fact, why not parade some of your prettiest girls for him, I want to see what sort of taste he has in women." She was practically dancing on her toes at the idea, twirling about as if she were the first of the girls in her uncle's 'parade'. She gave no thought to any duties or plans her uncle might have had, she was accustomed to the world revolving around her and her whims. She could only think that all men were as captivated with her desires as her wealthy and powerful father.

The Brothel

Julia's uncle did not disappoint as a parade of beautiful women started soon after she had the idea. It was only a small sample of his wares but given that they were produced on a young girl's whim it was rather impressive. The Cypriot woman was first and she was indeed beautiful. She danced into the room like she walked on air, graceful and dignified. Clearly she knew her business, nodding respectfully to her Master she was bright enough to know she was summoned to entertain. Seeing the obvious wealth written on Julia's clothing she approached the young girl first encircling her seductively until she motioned towards Cadmus. She seemed to float across the room to the old soldier, her soft hands touching his cheek then slipping down along his chest as she circled him. It was just a taste of her beauty though as she worked her way from the room just as another approached.

The Celtic girl was hard and stern, arms crossed under her breasts defensively as she presented herself before the potential customers. Despite being a slave in a brothel, she held herself erect with pride as if her captivity was still something she needed to become accustomed. Her eyes suggested she would sooner slit Cadmus' throat then sleep with him, but she made no attempt at resistance. If the Celtic girl had seemed cool, the Norse was openly hostile and was not alone. A muscular male slave held a stiff pole the far end affixed to a collar on the blonde wild girl. The male slave kept the girl outside of arms reach from any of the master's guests though at times even he seemed to have some trouble keeping her fully under control.

Finally, a Nubian woman entered the room seemingly surprised to find her master entertaining others. She bowed before him, holding out a papyrus full of figures as if for his approval. Only after he accepted the papyrus did she rise to acknowledge the others. "I am Kaya" She said, her voice having the sound of someone unsure of the language and her body language suggesting she wasn't sure she was supposed to be here. She kept her eyes downcast, unsure of herself in front of these newcomers, finally looking back at her master to she if she should stay or go.

He smiled as the Cypriot came out, dancing like a nymph across the floor with a nimble grace that was just as splendid as he remembered them. His attention was quickly pulled away to the exotic and fiery haired Celt. She seemed prideful and passively resistant but he admired the quiet nobility she held herself with and her pale beauty as well. He only spared a glance for the woman from the north and was considering how he woudl approach the red haired girl when another woman came out. She was older than the others, that being said she couldn't have been much older than him if she was, and her beauty certainly hadn't suffered even the slightest for it in his eyes. If anything full maturity had only accentuated her beauty. She was from where, Egypt maybe? No, farther north than that, the wilds of that dark continent where so few dared to venture, but from which gold streamed out of the shadows? No, she was a Nubian by the looks of her, if his guess was right. He took a quick gaze around the room and at Lucia, confident he could spare a moment he stepped around the crowds and approached her.
"Hello Kaya, I'm Cadmus, you're Nubain?" He said in an attempt at a dialect he had picked up a little of from an Egyptian tribe of Nubians.

The Brothel

Kaya stood uncomfortably for a moment, relieved that most of the attention went to the younger, fairer skinned girls who had entered before her. She noticed with apprehension the approach of the older soldier who seemed to be the focus of this little display. She was clearly afraid of him but more afraid of appearing to insult him so she stood still as if she were hoping he would simply walk past her unnoticed. As it became clear he was headed to her she forced a smile upon her face though she barely managed an upward curl to her full lips. She felt his eyes upon her as he considered her origin though she simply expected his thoughts were of a less innocent nature. Lucretius had gotten something of a bargain for her likely due to her age and complexion but she had already shown she had a brain atop her body and she hoped most of her work would involve numbers more than members. It was however a brothel and she knew that for the right arrangement her body was for hire. A fact that she couldn't quite shake no matter how much she wanted to think of other things.

As she heard him speak in her native tongue her smile became more genuine, showing straight white teeth behind her dark lips. She bowed slightly, her relatively conservative dress low cut enough to reveal an ample bosom of rich dark flesh. "You have been to Nubia Cadmus?" She asked with genuine curiosity as it became her eyes turn to explore this surprising man. He was well formed and he wore his travels and experience much like a cloak about him. It was a rather pleasing feature as he seemed somehow deeper than most of the Romans she had met who seemed more intent on indulging their insatiable appetite for pleasure and hedonism. This man was different, perhaps it was because he hadn't come her as a typical visitor to a brothel, though she did not yet understand the relationship between Cadmus and the young noble girl who seemed to cling to Lucretius as if she were a lover.

Lucia for her part didn't miss the fact that Cadmus seemed much more interested in the older Nubian than the obviously beautiful Cypriot. She looked at the two of them puzzled for a moment, a look of delight in her eyes as if she had just been asked a most interest riddle. She embraced her uncle once more. "You do have the most beautiful of women here uncle, it is enough to make me jealous." She said teasingly, though perhaps a hint of truth to her words. She had watched the Cypriot with envy, the way she moved and the way men looked at her. But her gaze returned to Kaya, wondering what mysterious attraction brought Cadmus to such a woman instead of the others offered. There were times Lucia thought she had men completely figured out, but then she would find some new mystery to show her she still had much to learn.

To see a genuine smile curling from her beautiful lips was a worthy reward for his efforts. He smiled back and took her hand before he kissed her soft brown skin. He was tempted to let his eyes roam but if this woman was a slave, than the best way to hold her attention was by treating her like an equal. "No, I've been to Egypt. I met Nubian's there." He considered his next words, he was very rusty on the language. "Do you speak Egyptian, or Greek, maybe Persian?" He might as well try everything. His Greek and Latin were his best, of course, but his Persian and Egyptian were much more passable than his Nubian. He wondered how much she had been bought for, and how much she would be parted with for, but that was a question for a different person later. "I did not expect to meet your kind of beauty when I came to Rome. I won't ask what brought you here, but I am glad you are here none the less. I see you have a ledger so I wager you are more than just another common whore here."

Last edited:
Kaya was nervous as he took her hand then kissed it, an unfamiliar custom to her but not entirely unpleasant as she tried to force herself to relax. "I learn Greek." She said in stilted Greek which gave an indication of how far she had to go, though was at least able to make her point. "But I speak Egyptian rather well." She added, giving what she hoped would be a bit of common ground for them to talk. Obviously someone who spoke a common language would be most helpful in her learning the local tongue and customs. She considered herself lucky to be at the brothel, though she had not yet been required to perform sexually she knew that would be required at some point. She wondered if this man would be her first, he was at least not a brute like the many men at the slave auction. She was finding though that these Romans (she did not yet understand the distinction between the various cultures North of the Mediterranean) were adept at changing their behavior depending upon the setting. She wasn't completely at ease with Cadmus, but at least she could communicate with him.

"You are not from Rome?" She asked, somewhat surprised to learn that about him. Her nostrils flared at his question about her being a common whore, she wanted to snap back at him but bit her tongue. "I think that I am not considered..." She thought for a moment about the word in Egyptian. "...desireable but I do know numbers as well as the stars and the sky as well so the Master thought I might be useful to him in keeping accounts." She left out any reference to having to be a whore if it was called upon, though she understood the basics behind a brothel well enough, though there were no such things in her culture.

Lucia watched with fascination from the other side of the room, though was careful not to stare too obviously. "I think I should be safe enough with you uncle, perhaps you should offer Cadmus your dark hospitality?" A hint of venom in her voice before it sweetened considerably. "Then I can share with you my big news from Daddy." Her hand went to his chest, stroking him gently as if a hint to something more substantial in the offering.

The Brothel

A little trading? Either he guarded a merchant and overstated his involvement, or he had once been a trader, lost his wares, and had to become a guard. Either way, the man struck him as a fool, one he worried his niece would become too intrigued by. Fortunately, he quickly put his foot in his mouth in stating that Lucretius didn't strike him as a military man. He wasn't wrong, of course, as Lucretius wasn't the type at all, but he had served with distinction. He cast his niece a quick grin before responding. "I trust you could understand any man's preference to remain in an environment such as this over the sparse amenities of a battlefield campsite." He made a mental note at the mention of Cyprus, glad to know there was a way to distract the man.

"Should I travel there, I will certainly request your company. Your father certainly would not wish to see me penniless, after all. He nodded approvingly when she asked if he possessed any Cypriot women. Though she likely wished to tease the man, he was quite curious as well. "You are a talented hostess, Lucia, to think of accommodating him so. And yes, we do have such a woman, and we will see how she compares to some other representatives around the world." He summoned to one of the slaves to arrange such a display.

He stood back, allowing each of the prizes to parade (or be paraded) without interruption so he could gauge the reactions. Despite his intent appraisal of Cadmus, he could not resist a small smile as the Cypriot danced by them. With the arrival of Kaya, however, he stepped forward to accept the proffered information from her. Seeing the approaching soldier, he gestured for her to remain, rather surprised at how her arrival had affected his guest. He stepped back to Lucia, returning the embrace and leaning in close. "Thank you, Lucia. This is where your father receives a significant portion of his funds to perform favors for Rome." He flicked his gaze toward Cadmus, who had begun speaking to Kaya. "You feel jealous currently? That is concerning."

Despite his playfulness, he did tense noticeably as Cadmus used the word whore. It was not an inaccurate term, though certainly one his newest acquisition had not heard often. Fortunately, it appeared to not trigger any serious reaction. With that passed, he returned his attention to his lovely niece. "Again, you prove yourself more generous to our guest. I think that is best. Cadmus, it was a pleasure meeting you, but I think my company would be less interesting, and I have news from the head of the family that I need to hear." He gestured to Kaya for her to lead Cadmus away.

Lucia noted her uncle's cool response to her bodyguard, despite the latter's efforts at making a good impression. She puzzled over the dynamic between the two men, eager to understand what motivates them, and more importantly, how to manipulate them. She felt a triumphant pride as her uncle did indeed have the very woman Cadmus had requested, even if his interest ended up being with something else entirely. The young Roman girl watched with fascination the interaction between them. She listened to her uncle state how much of her Daddy's money came from this brothel, she smiled politely but didn't believe him. She could never imagine her Papa indebted to anyone, not even uncle Lucretius. She blushed at her uncle's accusation of jealousy. "Are you 'concerned' because you are jealous as well uncle?" She asked teasingly, sensing her uncle's affection which she returned enthusiastically.

Kaya had appreciated the opportunity to speak a familiar language but it turned to dread as she realized her Master's intentions for her. She looked at the floor, ashamed of what she was expected to do for this man she had just met. She took his hand to lead him out of the Master's reception area towards the more private rooms where she would need to entertain him.

"I should be safe enough here Cadmus." Julia suggested as if to encourage him to take advantage of her uncle's hospitality.

“That is the entertainment.” Drusus said briskly, as the litter carried them along from the house and into the busy streets of Rome. It was a small entourage, the litter carried by four strong household slaves on their shoulders, with a few more following behind, carrying their coin purse and other necessities like water and even a satchel of fruit. All wore the bronze neck tablets with their names etched in and also indicating who they belonged to. Behind came Drusus’ bodyguards and lictors, to ensure no one gave the patrician any trouble.

Gladiators and nubile women performing as servers would suffice. Usually a household provided the young women themselves but Drusus hadn’t been home long enough to build up an ample supply, nor did Alexandria seem to keep company with much. For a man, they would have been seducing. For a woman, competition. So they would have to go out and fetch some. “Four gladiators will do, in two pairs. They fight each other and can end with the winners competing for a small prize or favor. But it matters not. To men of quality and rank, the true entertainment will be what I have to say. This is all merely a sideshow.” Drusus mused as he lounged within the covered litter, sharing a little of his plans with his wife. But what he had to discuss, he kept a secret.

“Send a slave for the platters and clothing too.” He added. Good Roman wives did not wander off on their own. And since Drusus had no wish to do any of that kind of shopping, it meant that Alexandria wouldn’t have the chance. They would only select the girls and the gladiators to ensure their quality and return home to attend to more important matters.

After a short trek through the streets, they arrived at a house seemingly like all the others. Yet within this, unlike their own austere home, there was the sound of music and feminine laughter from within. A brothel. Normally, upstanding Roman citizens shouldn’t be seen within the premises of such a place but Drusus had no other intent except business. If he had a need or urge, he could always indulge within the confines of his own home, private and isolated. Of course, what too was a wife supposed to perform if not thusly either. “This is the place I have had recommendations of. They will suit our needs.” Drusus explained to Alexandria as the litter was lowered by the slaves and they were allowed to dismount. He didn’t explain to his wife how he knew of this brothel either. That was from his youth, years and years ago. Before her.

A lictor went ahead and used the base of his bundled sticks and axe to rap against the door. “Now comes the august Drusus Iulia Nerva Armenaicus, vanquisher of the Parthians and victor in the east! Step aside and open!” The lictor declared in prim announcement and the couple entered into the brothel, there waiting for someone of authority to address and approach them for their needs.

"Your wish is my command." He said with flourish and then he followed the Nubian to a back room when a boisterous announcement came from a man at the door. Drusus Armenaicus. Well there was a name he never hoped to here again. It also made him stop in his tracks for a moment. He turned and waited to see if it was really that old war dog and sure it was, looking just as granite as the statues that littered Athens. He was more suprised to see his wife, she was rather stunning, he had to admit that. He wondered if the man could actually appreciate that. During his time serving the legons he had met many who did not have a high opinon of some of their commanders. Drusus was not a commander that Cadmus had the pleasure of ever meeting but he had not been given much cause to like him and was not suprised when someone else had been made governor of the region, some Cadmus liked much better as well. He watched the man for a few moments more before he grabbed Kaya by the wrist and started to move to one fo those private rooms.

Alone finally with her uncle, Lucia draped herself over one of the low couches in the room and looked mischievously at her father's brother. The soft material of her clothing riding high up her thigh as she bent one leg by placing her foot flat on the soft cushion. She paid the indiscretion no attention, almost daring her uncle to take advantage of the view. "I am eager to learn the ways of influencing men uncle. My father is teaching me to use gold, I was hoping you could teach me to use, other skills." She suggested coyly, though suddenly disappointed at the interruption of another visitor. She assumed her uncle would ignore such business with his favorite niece paying him a visit, though she had much to learn of the world of business and pleasure.

Kaya paused at the announcement of so prestigious a visitor, though the name and title meant little to her, she had been here long enough to know most customers were not announced in this way. In fact they were usually quite the opposite. She soon found though that it was now her turn to be led as Cadmus took her hand and pulled her away from the front entry and into a private room. Cadmus had been so unlike the other men she had encountered in Rome, of course arriving as a slave certainly biased her impression of men in the Empire. This one though, despite acknowledging she was a whore, had been civil. She wondered what it meant about her lack of virtue that she found herself almost eager for the attentions of a good man. Kaya may not consider herself a whore, but she was no shrinking violet either. She was well familiar with the pleasures of the body, and so far this was the best man she had met this side of the great sea.

Cadmus sat on a sofa and ran his hands over his face,"Pour me some wine please." he said to the Nubian. once it was in his hand he took a drink, when he saw her begin to move in an all to familiar way he held up his hand. "Don't worry. That's not what I'm looking for right now." Cadmus was not yet free of the desires of the flesh, but he wasn't ruled by them for sure, and as much as he enjoyed a good woman he prized other things as much as beauty now. Her body may have been something worth lusting for but that was not the desire that possessed him now, and seeing the "vanquisher of the Parthians" had soured his mood slightly. "Tell me, how did you get here. You are certainly a long way from the desert here in Rome." she certainly was, and he was intrigued by this woman and was sure her story woudl intrigue him as well.

Kaya obediently turned to poor wine for her first client and bringing it to him. She slipped onto the small couch next to him, nervous but excited, but was surprised as he held up his hand. She looked concerned and rejected, she had thought he was attracted to her but now she feared he didn't consider her desirable. "Oh, I see." She said, standing once more and getting a goblet of wine for herself if for no other reason than to not dwell on her apparent rejection. She took a sip as she listened to his question. She struggled to answer in Greek as best she could, filling in with Egyptian when she got flustered and even at times her native tongue. She related the tale of the Roman conquest of her tribal lands, her father taking his warriors to stop or at least slow them for the rest of the village to escape. Her own role in guarding a narrow pass into the mountains, enough to delay the merciless Romans who had apparently crushed her father and his men with their strange weapons and tactics. Seeing a lack of others from her village in the slave caravan, she was at least confident in her and her father's sacrifice in saving their village even at the cost of his life and her freedom.

"It's not you, it's that damned pompous general out there. I served under him, and with men who served under him. He is not popular in many circles." The man's appearance how soured his mood for sex. He listened to her story, missing a few words here and there but being able to understand it for the most part. His heart went out to her. It was a true shame that such a beautiful woman should find herself in such straights. "You have my sympathies, you truly do." He put his hands on her shoulders and drew her into an embrace. Then he lifted her chin and gently kissed her. "A princess in such far away places deserves better hospitality than she has been given." Then he began to tell her of his travels. How as a young man he had gone across the Mediterranean, and how he had fallen in love with an Egyptian Nubian, the chiefs daughter only to be chased off. He laughed at the memory. "My father was furious for weeks." He told her of adventures he had and strange people he met. Finally he decided he had been gone for too long and he kissed her again. "Perhaps next time we can do less talking." He winked and then went back out to find his charge again.

Back
Top Bottom