Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

(D&D 3.5 Between Stars and Under Hills) Ch. 2: Road to the Spiderhaunt Woods

Tenshi

Supernova
PeterLe5.jpg

Amalric Dawnstrider

The party's second day out from Drakengard Keep dawned bright over the Dragonspine Mountains. These extended towards the rising sun a little over a hundred miles, they knew. If they were to travel much of that direction, Drakengaurd territory would give way fully to that of The Citadel of the Raven, a fortified town fully under the control of the Zhentarim. That secret society, also called the Black Network, seemed dangerously reinvigorated by the rebirth of their tyrant god Bane.

The Dragon Spines continued behind them—to the north—and on to the east another dozen miles, where a river drained out of them and made the long flow down to the moonsea.

The road was well maintained by the city of Hilsfar—a xenophobic little nation that used it to move ore from their own mines. It was a bit of a gamble taking this road, but perhaps necessary, if they would eventually have to send dwarf caravans from Drakengard tot he Spiderhaunt to actually procure the adamantine they secured.

“Everyone stay alert,” Amarlic said calmly. “Tessa should be able to warn us of most things in terrain like this, but Hilsfar's Red Plumes and the Zhentarim's blackclads will be equally happy to rob us or worse.”

Despite his words of caution, the half giant ambled along at an easy pace, encouraging Selena to perch on one shoulder, Naruna on the other.

Tessa staled about the terrain, moving from bluff side to hilltop instantly in tiny cracks of thunder. This made gave her unparalleled ability as a scout—almost as mobile and with almost as high a perspective as a flying scout, but with much better cover. Unfortunately the little pops of collapsing air—while hardly loud—echoed about in the hills they passed through, and might be detected by a cunning ear.

F-k.jpg

Varric and Kardol grumble to each other, good naturally rehashing jokes about the sun and the sky that were old half their lives ago. The dwarves wore fine traveling garb and adventuring gear. Their eyes were obscured by smoked glass goggles Warmen had created to the best possible specifications to minimize their sensitivity to the sun.

"Oh..." Varic suddenly paused, stepping to the side of the road to touch a particular boulder. "Is this where I think it is?"

"Yes it is," Kardol replied solemnly.

"What is it you two?" Amalric asked.

"We were here three years ago, on an extended patrol at night," Varic replied.

Kardol nodded. "It's the furthest from home we've ever been.

Varic's lips split into a broad grin. "And we've a long way still to go."

Both young dwarves bound forwards with renewed energy that bordered on glee.

What do you do on the start of a long day on a dangerous road?

What did you tell each other over the last few nights about how you could best work together?

Make listen and/or spot rolls, and any others appropriate to how you travel.

When Torrunn sleeps faintly glowing runes encircle her head, she never seems to bother to take her armor off while doing so. It seems she does not sleep too soundly while no one can rouse her until she is good and ready once a serpent made it's way into her tent, she quickly woke loped off the creatures head and fell back to sleep in a matter of seconds. In the mornings she studies her spell-book as she eats and is one of the last ready to go figuring that anyone who wants her help can very well wait on her to be ready. Though she is a wizard she almost always has her dagger drawn and there seems to be a humming noise that emanates from it.

Torrunn explains very little about herself though, she did tell anyone before this started that if they ever wanted items crafted that they needed to go through a ritual with her that would last a day, she has performed this on anyone who wishes it. It seems she has a fondness for summoning small elementals to aid her in even the simplest task. She is picky about what she eats and drinks asking the small creatures to heat her food and cool her drinks. Often she will summon an air elemental to simply fly straight up and back down the creature whispering into her ear before vanishing.

24 listen 25 spot

Last edited:
Everyone--including henchmen--is given 250 gold in your choice of coins or precious stones.
You also each have up to 20 extra days of food and drink. Amalaric with his big bag of holding will help carry that for anyone who doesn't have such an option.

Tessa will take her 250 in expensive spell components for party benefit. Does anyone know Stone skin or one of the healing spells that requires a sacrifice of diamond dust?

Any other important supplies?

3758795415_030a17ed14.jpg

Amaris moved ahead of the group with any others who were scouting. She kept a pace that allowed her to move quietly and gracefully through the boulders and brush surrounding the path they traveled. Amaris kept her head on a swivel and stayed alert for anything that might be heard, to catch anything that would try and catch the large band of travelers off guard.

The elfkin maidens movements were lithe and seamless. Those that might be able to catch glimpses of her might be perplexed at how one with such a large blade could blend into her surroundings so well. Her steps were barely heard as the made land fall, even on loose scree. Her cloaks hood was drawn up around her head as she made her graceful and calculated movements to best benefit scouting for the group.

Move silently : 16+6=22
hide: 11+9=20
listen: 8+6=14
spot: 14+6=20

Fanchi Kohl

As with most expeditions where Fanchi expected to be along as a guard, the first thing he did was map out their route and note possible ambush locations on his map. He asked Amalric to carry his rations for him, given that he didn't need them. Worst case scenario, they could be used for prisoners, or just sold for a few gold down the road.

Before they'd set out, he'd coordinated with Enen (@Harbinger) and Amaris (@Anla'Shok) about scouting. They had a fairly large group heading out, so having a a few members looking out ahead was crucial to preventing ambushes.

He crept up away from the group, not too worried about getting caught alone since he had both the combat experience and mobility to get back if caught.

Hide +10 (+12 if in the forest already)
Move Silently +10 (+12 if in the forest already)
Listen +9 (+11 if in the forest already)
Spot +9 (+11 if in the forest already)
Will take 10 on those if I can

Last edited:
Spot 19+3+9= 31
Listen 10+3+9= 22

Lia was glancing around, staff in one hand as a walking stick. It felt good to have a task to focus on. She usually spent most of her days wandering aimlessly and training. And while landing kick to the throat on some highwayman was certainly a service to the good people of the world, what she was doing now would serve a kingdom, and facilitate trade that would be profitable for all.

That... and whether she liked to admit it or not, being surrounded by so many attractive men and women was a pleasant experience. Lia looked around, and found herself wishing she’d taken the time to learn how to apply her agility and body control to stealth, but she’d had no use for it in the monastery, and she’d always seen it as a skill that only the untrustworthy had. After that, she’d simply never had the time.

Lia wanders her way towards Amaric. She was curious about her new companions, and the half-giant fascinated her... yes, Amaric warranted closer study, she told herself. This most certainly was NOT seeking a companion for the road.... she really had to stop lying to herself.

Last edited:
Spot 4+17=21
Listen 12+17=29

Selena for her part was on Amaric's shoulder the small slight girl providing little issue to the giant's musclar arms.

She was supposed to be on the look out for enemies, but while her ears worked fine, her gaze was single focused on Aramis, remembering how soft and inviting her breasts looked in the hall.

Distracted that's when Selena fell off of Amaric's shoulder. "Gah!" She let out for a single second, before impacting with surprising daintiness into the girl Lia's cleavage.

"Soft..." She heard herself save.

Fanchi Kohl

Before they'd set out, he'd coordinated with Enen (@Harbinger) and Amaris (@Anla'Shok) about scouting. They had a fairly large group heading out, so having a a few members looking out ahead was crucial to preventing ambushes.

Amaris had been looking over the map that Fanchi had been pointing out ambush spots and committed them to memory while she pointed out the route she would cover by slowly drawing her finger slowly along the map and thus highlighting the ambush points she would watch over. She smiled as she looked up at the two others gathered. "Also if i find anything I do posses the ability to communicate at a distance and remain relatively quite while doing so."

Lia staggers, having not expected the wait, but manages to stay mostly upright, looking down at her. She was lucky Lia hadn’t been paying attention. Stepping aside would have been trivially easy, and the road wasn’t soft by any means. The monk puts a hand on Selena’s shoulder and holds her at arm’s length, literally and metaphorically. “Are you quite alright?” It didn’t take much skill to discern the slight reddening of her ears, a sure sign of embarrassment, or being flustered, at the very least.

Naruna briefly smiled up at Amalric and surveyed the land around her alertly. However, she had complete faith in Amalric to watch over her. It did not take her long before she was looking to the distant horizon, smiling to herself. She was very content in walking shoulder to shoulder with Amalric.

Enen bound with a thousand bits of energy, listening to the directions, caution points, and ambush sites. She was ready, she was ready, and they were going. The road felt good, better than the tight halls of the dwarven halls. Racing forward, she kept her quiet steps sturdy and calm.
Hide
1d20+10
16+10 = 26
Move silently
1d20+9
8+9 = 17

Naruna briefly smiled up at Amalric and surveyed the land around her alertly. However, she had complete faith in Amalric to watch over her. It did not take her long before she was looking to the distant horizon, smiling to herself. She was very content in riding on Amalric's Shoulder.

"Yeah, yeah." Selena commented managing to avoid ogling the woman's chest as she's pulled out. "Sorry about that, apparently Amaric's not as good as keeping his balance as other things!" She calls over teasingly.

Lia smiled, letting out a nervous chuckle. “It’s fine. I don’t believe we really got to know each other back in the throne room. Why don’t we talk as we travel?”

High in the sky comming for the direction of Drakengard Keep a creature that appears to be some amalgam of human and bird flies quickly toward the group. As it draws near it slows, circling the group and inspecting them before eventually pulling a scroll out of it's bag and tossing it down.

The powerfully built giant gave the hard bodied redhead a cheerful smile. Smokey black eyes took a wander over her body. Beautiful. She's like a Damascus steel saber, strong and supple, elegant and graceful. "You are a work of art, Lia," the young giant favored her with a cheerful smile.

Then he glanced at Prince Kardol as he limbered his bow but didn't lift it. "Strange bird up there, Amalric. Think it's friendly?"

The young giant kept Naruna steady with a hand on her hip as he turned to look. He shaded his eyes from the sun with his free hand as the bird man passed overhead. The mountain wind ruffled his hair. "Aarakorka," the young giant called, voice rising to go over the wind. He didn't have time to answer Kardol with the bird man arriving so fast. "Well met. "How's the wind up there?"

There bird man dropped the scroll from some distance and Amalric moved to retrieve it.

"This bears Rodericks seal," he called, gesturing to others to gather round and note the impression in wax before he opened it.

Last edited:
This being is Cyprian, Amalric read, who has come from the distant land of Mulhorand to seek us out. He believes his god--Ttoth--has given him a prophetic warning or spider-like beings that will descend upon our world, following the fallen star. Cyprian wishes to help us in return for an opertunity to help hold back these creatures, refered to as, "Canibals," Slavers," and "Spiders."

While Cyprian's tale could be seen as trickery to get close to our expediton, I find it's words ring earily true. I pray you all will bring Cyprian into our fold and learn all you can--of both the spiders and of Cyprian."

The young giant looked around thoughtfully, then looked up at the Aaracorka and called out, "Well met, Cyprian. Please come down and join us."

The Aarakorka dives gliding low to the ground while fishing in it's pack for ornate priest robes which it tosses before it, the sound of hooves soon echo as a pretty centaur woman catches them and dons them in one swift motion.

Thank you and well met to you too.

Lia smiled up at the giant at his compliment, then replied “as is a particularly well crafted sword. I hope you don’t see me as some useless painting.” She stepped back when the note landed between them, then looked up to see the Aarakorka swirling above them.

She waited for them to arrive, then glanced at them, looking confused. “I heard no incantation, and saw no materials used. How-?”

Last edited:
24f8cff3b74b37d08db87a653805e3d5.jpg
"Master," the small winged fiend sank to one knee before the mage in a patch of mountains not to far away from the group, "I have a report."

The dark haired mage rose from his reading. "What is it? Have those damnable miners finaly decided to ship some of those diamonds back to Hilsfar?"

"No, my master, no caravan from the Hilsfar mines in the two months we've waited here. But, perhaps, some amusement? Even a worthy test of skill?"

"Spit it out miserable imp!"

"Adventurers, master! Two dwarves, a giant, a beast of the Heavens, and a number of nubile maidens, bearing rich arms and weapons. The giant wears mtihril!"

The mage's black beard framed his devilish smirk. "Tamsen, Larsen, what do you say?"

"I say me and the boys are bored to tears, Lord Weaver."

"I thought you'd say that. Mount up!"

Last edited:
I don't use spells to transform in fact I only know a few minor nature ones the spirits provide, I have instead honed my god given ability to shapeshift to an extent beyond what most ever are capable of.

“Fascinating. And what can you do so far? If you can change species, can you also change gender? What of the minutiae, things like eye and hair color?”

I have extremely minute control over my forms and am working on getting better at that, not only can I change the color and gender of my forms but I do not have to keep the exact same physiology of the forms I take.

Lia raised her eyebrows, impressed as she nodded. With powers like that, she could manifest claws, or venomous stingers, and chitonous plating.

Back
Top Bottom